Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
Wow! You had the worst luck in endings!

T
T
Originally Posted by The Red Queen

- My character failed the saving throw to resist consuming the astral touched tadpole, so ended up a half-illithid against her will.
- She also chose to become illithid rather than letting Orpheus do it, as she believed he had an important role to play for the githyanki.
- She was a risk taker and endlessly curious so chose to live after defeating the netherbrain but didn’t trust herself around others enough to go with Karlach to Avernus, but at least she could persuade Karlach to go with Wyll, and Lae’zel also lived and flew off with Orpheus.
- But she *hated* becoming a mindflayer so everything after unwillingly becoming half-illithid (ie act 3) felt overcast with a sense of melancholy, which only got worse after her full transformation.
- And then at the epilogue party while chatting with Halsin, with whom she’d had a fling, she failed another saving throw and attacked him then got booted unceremoniously out of the celebration by Withers (it didn’t help that this version of the epilogue was really buggy).

wyllcry

The small tweak that would have helped me not feel quite as sad during act 3 and the ending for that playthrough would have been if my character could have appeared as her original self. It surely isn’t too much of a stretch to have an illithid power to project an image of how one wants to appear. My character approximated this by using the Disguise Self spell to appear as the halfling she started off as, but it’s not the same as having the appearance I’d carefully selected. And I know that’s shallow and cosmetic, but it would mean I wasn’t constantly reminded of the fate of my character, and I’m not ashamed to admit that a bit of denial would go a long way in helping me cope better with the ending biggrin

My character never touched the tadpoles so I didn't even have a save to make with the astral one - it was just "OK, uh, sure, I'll definitely consider it. Very carefully." But I LOVE the idea of using Disguise Self every day to hide it hehe Maybe if they had an option to use Disguise Self for any character to look like their original appearence? Given that it lasts all day, you could call that an illithid power if you like; there's definitely another illithid in the game who can project a humanoid appearence.

I'm a little puzzled that they even programmed in the option for you to be kicked out of the party though hehe

veteran
veteran
Red Queen: Wow you had epic bad luck with your endings.

About Orpheus

I normally don't feel responsible for him. I fought a devil to get the hammer and fought countless of githyanki send by Vlaakith, the rest is between him and Lae'zel tbh. Either he has to change or she has to volunteer, my characters have done enough by that time. And I do play good, but my main motivation is often 'I want to go home and see my friends and family again' - so that is a main drive.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
addict
addict
I'm honestly not sure which option to pick. I despise the fact that we NEED to select someone to bite the bullet when there is Omeluum, and also that we can't convince Orpheus and the Emperor to agree to temporarily work together because the situation is too dire for petty squabbles. This whole thing in my opinion needs a total rewrite. I also dislike the fact that I need to carry Karlach in my party to be the sacrifice and can't finish the game with someone I like because of it. If we really need to keep the MF railoading in the game, I would have liked if the Astral Prism choice was done is such a way that we contacted our whole party and decided together who gets the short end of the stick. I think more people should volunteer too - for example Wyll who likes to play hero and Lae'zel could be persuaded to save her Prince. I would also like to be able to control other companions in the epilogue or just see them fighting somewhere, because it's ridiculous that the city is on fire but they are chilling at camp and you only see them at the dock once the danger has been eliminated. Thanks for nothing, lazy gits!

When it comes to the actual ending beyond that awful point in the story, I didn't see the need to change anything, only add options, for example: being able to keep Scratch, having Us stay with Tav, being able to take your LI with you and accompany Lae'zel to the Astral as a friend, as well as follow Karlach into the portal. I also want to see Astarion after battle epilogue choices be meaningful, because no matter what you decide to do, you stay in the city with AA and travel with UA if you don't go to the Underdark to be a spawn babysitter.

Overall, everyone was happy in my ending, no downer there. I was very pleased with the result.

Dragon Age Origins and real life taught me that self-sacrifice is for suckers so I'm never going for that option in a game again. What Larian did with the endings shows just that - self-sacrifice means you feel good about yourself for a moment, are branded as a saviour until people eventually forget about you and may possibly backstab you, and you have to live with bitter consequences of your decision while everyone else enjoys their life at your expense.

For me, the smallest possible change that would at least make me feel a little less like weeping at the end of my favourite characters' stories would be simply changing the ending animation with WIthers when a character chooses to ...

... kill themselves rather than live as an illithid so that we see them with their original appearance (ie their spirit form is no longer a mindflayer). Withers' spiel about there still being a story for the character after death could be hopeful, but in context it just feels like more punishment as after committing suicide rather than continuing as a mindflayer it now seems as though the character needs to suffer an eternity as a ghost illithid.

The next step, for a bit more work but still hopefully not much, would be if Withers could enable such a character to attend the epilogue party in spirit form. And, separately, if Withers would temporarily break a self-imprisoned mindflayer out to attend the party. That way we could at least get the satisfaction of seeing what our sacrifice has achieved for those companions whose lives we've saved.

I agree that

ghost illithid doesn't make sense. At that point the soul is salvaged and the monstrous body is left behind.

The spirit form attendance is already possible in this ending:

I don't see why they didn't make it available after the regular suicide too. I guess this path is just underdeveloped like Astarion LI epilogues. I disagree with letting self-imprisoned Tav show up - they're dangerous and starved. The fact that there's a saving throw check at the party is proof of that. This is yet another good example of realistic consequences of wanting to be a selfless goody-goody character.

For me, it's kinda all of the above when it comes to the poll.

Volunteer Moderator
OP Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Trantion
I'm a little puzzled that they even programmed in the option for you to be kicked out of the party though hehe

If that series of events hadn't been quite so buggy when I played it, it probably would have been funny enough for me not to mind such an ignominious end to my poor character's journey biggrin

Originally Posted by Ametris
I disagree with letting self-imprisoned Tav show up - they're dangerous and starved. The fact that there's a saving throw check at the party is proof of that.

I agree it would be dangerous, but for me that's not a reason not to offer the player the temptation. And if it did go horribly wrong, I think it would be extra pathetic, with the character cursing themselves for their weakness when they initially knew better.

IThe spirit form attendance is already possible

Thanks for the link! It was seeing mention of a bug with attending the party in spirit form in the patch 7 notes that had led me to retry my ending. It's good to know where that option fits in, but yes disappointing that it doesn't apply to a character who chooses not to live as a mindflayer.

I despise the fact that ... we can't convince Orpheus and the Emperor to agree to temporarily work together because the situation is too dire for petty squabbles.

You make good points about the niggles with the way that whole scene plays out. But carrying on the theme of small changes that would make the ending less frustrating for me, I just wish that the Emperor could be persuaded to at least talk to Orpheus, even if Orpheus then subsequently refused to work with the Emperor (who has, after all, been stealing his power) and we had to pick between them anyway. In that scenario, it would feel more tempting to side with the Emperor, whereas currently it feels so wrong that he won't even try talking to Orpheus that I'll struggle to pick that option with most characters.

Originally Posted by fylimar
About Orpheus I normally don't feel responsible for him.

I freely admit I'm a sucker, but his more-honourable-than-thou emotional blackmail totally works on me, and it felt as though he could do so much more good than my characters had potential for. (Especially in my first playthrough where Lae'zel hadn't turned against Vlaakith.) But I do accept that not all good characters need to be so selfless that they'd usurp others' right to self-sacrifice. It just felt wrong in the moment for either of my two characters to let Orpheus do the honours.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
About Orpheus: I kind of like him, but my character did go through so much and had to fight several gods and pissed off some more, made friends along the road, maybe a new love - it's hard to go all in to sacrifice myself for a race, that is mostly known for being standoffish and racist. Of course it would be nice, if they get rid of Queen Karen ... eh... Vlaakith..., but for me it is similar to the end of Dragon Age 2, where
Sebastian demands of Hawke to kill Anders and while I don't love, what Anders did, I don't see it as my responsibility, when the guard captian and the knight commander, the two, who have the autority to deal with Anders, are standing right there. In this case, Lae'zel is Aveline and Meredith and I think, it would be her respnsibilty.

I still think, Omeluum should be an option, if he is alive.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
A
old hand
old hand
A
Terrible luck aside, It seems to mostly be a question of what a "good ending" means to you personally:

If it means that nobody has to transform into a mind flayer, you either let the emperor do his thing or use Gale-bomb.

If it means that all your companion's resolve their character arcs, Gale-bomb isn't an option because blowing him up is just as much a confirmation of his low self esteem as claiming godhood is. But you can still bite the bullet yourself, or let the emperor or Orpheus do their thing.

If you are looking for the overall morally good path - I don't even know. It again seems to depend on personal priorities.

In the end, at least after your first run, it seems to most often become a calculated game of throwing your least favourite character under the bus - which involves a healthy dose of meta gaming if you want to sacrifice Karlach. (She won't be naturally on your team if you don't like her.)

Thinking about sacrifices, the hardest moment for me was during the run in which Gale tried to convince me that allowing him to explode was the best option right before we started climbing the brain stem. Making the choice in the Astral Prism is unpleasant but it is also a fairly quick pain, by contrast if Gale tries to guilt-trip you into allowing him to sacrifice himself, it is a lengthy conversation (three layers if you don't give in) during which you have to defend your decision to preserve the life of one person while endangering the whole world in the process. I hate this conversation and think it is brilliant because it makes the decision to not make a sacrifice suddenly very hard.

I
old hand
old hand
I
The problem is more that there is never a good reason for the sacrifices.
"There must be a mind flayer" with neither a obvious in game reason or a explanation outside of "because we said so" is just bad storytelling and leads to the choice being completely unsatisfactory.

And for Karlachs fate to be satisfying there are too many leads for there to be a better outcome which was then cut.

So imo not the ending itself needs to be changed, although it might still be required if no satisfying solution can be found, but everything leading up to the ending.

Last edited by Ixal; 26/08/24 10:53 AM.
Volunteer Moderator
OP Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Anska
Terrible luck aside, It seems to mostly be a question of what a "good ending" means to you personally

I was meaning "good" in the DnD alignment sense, but beyond that I'll admit I didn't ponder it very carefully, and was interested in others' takes on what that might be. But I suppose what I was really thinking of was an ending where the player character reluctantly turns into a mindflayer because they're not willing to sacrifice anyone else. I do accept that other endings can be thought of as "good", but for me that's the one I suspect most of my favourite good-aligned characters are going to end up experiencing and, while it's always going to be a tragedy, where I'd appreciate some *slight* mitigation of the grimness.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
T
T
Originally Posted by Anska
Terrible luck aside, It seems to mostly be a question of what a "good ending" means to you personally

I was meaning "good" in the DnD alignment sense, but beyond that I'll admit I didn't ponder it very carefully, and was interested in others' takes on what that might be. But I suppose what I was really thinking of was an ending where the player character reluctantly turns into a mindflayer because they're not willing to sacrifice anyone else. I do accept that other endings can be thought of as "good", but for me that's the one I suspect most of my favourite good-aligned characters are going to end up experiencing and, while it's always going to be a tragedy, where I'd appreciate some *slight* mitigation of the grimness.

I'm sure I read a while ago that part of the point of the (good) story in BG3 is "are you prepared to sacrifice (things) to save the world?" As I said before, I had the Emperor sort it out so I haven't experienced the same choice as you, but I don't think being good aligned necessarily means sacrificing yourself for the greater good. To me, being good-aligned means generally having good intentions, but maybe turning into a mindflayer is just too far for your character. In my case, my character reluctantly sacrificed Orpheus. Probably not the most good thing to do, but It's what my character would do! (as all bad D&D players say ;-) )

Last edited by Trantion; 26/08/24 10:57 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
OP Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Trantion
I'm sure I read a while ago that part of the point of the (good) story in BG3 is "are you prepared to sacrifice (things) to save the world?" As I said before, I had the Emperor sort it out so I haven't experienced the same choice as you, but I don't think being good aligned necessarily means sacrificing yourself for the greater good. To me, being good-aligned means generally having good intentions, but maybe turning into a mindflayer is just too far for your character. In my case, my character reluctantly sacrificed Orpheus. Probably not the most good thing to do, but It's what my character would do! (as all bad D&D players say ;-) )

Fair enough! My problem is that sacrificing themselves for the greater good and turning into a mindflayer is, given the choices in front of them, what my two good characters so far would had done (admittedly Karlach didn’t volunteer in either of the playthroughs so whether they’d allow her to sacrifice herself wasn’t tested - I think probably the first would have).

And while I love an HEA as much as the next softie, I have no fundamental problem with a tragic ending for my character or (despite my quibbles on the specific logic of the plotting) a setup where hard choices have to be made, and where goodness isn’t easy. But despite listening to and appreciating the other points of view in this thread, I do persist in my wish that small tweaks would be made to make the self-sacrificing choice just a little bit less of the downer it inevitably is going to be!

veteran
veteran
RQ, I feel you, my first campaign was one of the best and worst storytelling experiences of all time. Every choice felt like choosing between the bad and the worse, I swear my character's facial expression even changed to a constant sad face and during harbour scene I laughed out loud when I saw a dialogue option about 'leaving this wretched city and going on a holiday to Amn'. I also had to kill Laezel since I trusted the Emperor to be the only one who can...

Endings aside, cool thing about the Emperor is this: if you choose to be somewhat trusting or neutral to him from the get go - it is EXTREMELY hard to read his predatory nature between the lines. I genuinely wasn't sure about the guy during my first PT, the Balduran lore dump made by doubts grow like wild weeds... this, is masterful storytelling, when sometimes you are so conflicted you need to take a day break from playing the game just to contemplate the choice you're about to make laugh

addict
addict
I want to drop my two cents here. I see some assumptions that Orpheus is one of the good guys. Remember that his mother Gith wanted to conquer the realms herself. Doesn’t matter her motivation. Because of the split with the followers of Zethimon and the fact Vlakath stopped her this wasn’t attempted.

As such, I do *assume* that Orpheus has similar motivations to follow his mother’s footsteps. After they defeat Vlakath, they will likely turn on their Githzerai allies. And then begins their true war.

Siding with the emperor and letting him eat Orpheus may give him the knowledge to someday begin his own grand design (obviously if you allow him to become the absolute).

The only “good” endings I see with meta knowledge is Gale nuking himself, without anyone gaining Orpheus knowledge (letting Orpheus live is still a safer bet as war among equals is much better than a unified mindflayer race). Even you or Karlach being mindflayers with that knowledge is dangerously edging the grand design.

The D&D universe still has an ace up the sleeve if the grand design were to begin. That ace is the God born Dead, Atropus. He has a thing for killing mindflayers it seems.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Atropus

Volunteer Moderator
OP Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
Fair point that we don't know how the whole Orpheus thing will turn out. From a good-aligned perspective, my biggest problem is that we have to side with the Emperor without even talking to Orpheus and giving him a chance to help out. If we were able to let him out and he then refused to cooperate with the Emperor (or they refused to cooperate with each other) then to my mind there would be more of a choice to be made there.

From the in-game info such as what we find in the creche and what Orpheus says when freed, I do think the impression he gives is positive enough that a good-aligned character would, for me, need to be imagined to either be suspicious-minded or to have knowledge of the githyanki that's not presented in the game (both totally valid RP options!) to find it easy to side with the Emperor over Orpheus. But if the Emperor were less unreasonable about flouncing off in a huff just because we insist on talking to Orpheus, then depending on the relationship that had developed over the course of the adventure could well be enough to swing things in his favour if the two refused to work together when they both had a chance.

journeyman
journeyman
I must admit that I'm quite torn between "miserable, but liking it" and "miserable, but can be fixed with a few tweaks". For my Tav (Orphic Githyanki necromancer), the ending she got surely felt horrible.

Sava had hoped that either the saved Gondians or Dammon with the enriched infernal iron could fix Karlach's heart. Both Sava and I thought Wyll completely lost it when he announced his rebranding, and I still feel the Wyll we meet at Reunion Camp rather spent a few weeks lost in the forest with his "pet wolf" Scratch trying to save his new 1st-level ranger self from a bunch of goblins and an ogre, than in actual Avernus. So, basically Sava was forced to see her ra'stil and friend turn ghaik. From her vantage point, Lae'zel had an egg to hatch and a revolution to fight along with Orpheus, and she sure wouldn't turn herself. Karlach said she was happy, so that was the ending of my playthrough. For Sava, it was a tainted success, for a path of recruiting a saved Omeluum, killing the treacherous Emperor on the spot and saving Lae'zel, Karlach and Orpheus seemed in reach. I guess I'm wondering if this didn't work due to lack of story development, or if it just wasn't in the cards.

addict
addict
From what I understand, there were a number of story elements that had to be abandoned when Russia invaded Ukraine. The entire St Petersburg studio had to be shuttered and the employees evacuated to the other studios. Doing so we lost the return to Avernus, etc. There does appear (when speaking to the gnomes and steel watchers) there was a quest line about/for karlach’s heart, that didn’t get implemented.

The staff was evacuated because Sven saw the writing on the wall and didn’t want his employees drafted in the war.

RQ, I do agree with you somewhat; however, Orpheus likely can read the Emperors motives like when he read you mind. Doing so he would have known all the false hoods the Emperor was saying and likely would have immediately attacked all of you. By betraying the Emperor first, he atleast he knew you could be either used until no longer needed (like the Emperor maybe doing), or at minimum an enemy of my enemy is “currently” my friend type scenarios.

Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
I want to drop my two cents here. I see some assumptions that Orpheus is one of the good guys. Remember that his mother Gith wanted to conquer the realms herself. Doesn’t matter her motivation. Because of the split with the followers of Zethimon and the fact Vlakath stopped her this wasn’t attempted.

As such, I do *assume* that Orpheus has similar motivations to follow his mother’s footsteps. After they defeat Vlakath, they will likely turn on their Githzerai allies. And then begins their true war.
Oh yeah for sure, Orpheus is also very clearly not good. That's why even knowing how to not have a mindflayer I still end up having Orpheus do it. Let Lae'zel after all she's learned with the party lead the Githyanki and perhaps the whole lot of them learn a little more tolerance from her example.

journeyman
journeyman
Thanks for the context! That does make sense.

veteran
veteran
The good ending is miserable and that's the way I like it

Yet, I don't like how they're railroaded to be that way sometimes. It's come up often enough, but there are plenty of things given to us in the game that people find absent from the choices we're given, without even a Fawkes level of lampshading.

veteran
veteran
I haven't played the game for a few months and only came back to see if the ending had been changed. Thanks @TheRedQueen for advocating for changes during the beta!

I chose "The good ending is miserable and nothing short of a complete rewrite could make it any better" because that is what I would need to play the game again. There are small tweaks that could be made to make *less* of a downer but the end game is deeply flawed.

@Sozz just introduced to the concept of lampshading and I'm going to start using that word all the time. The "someone needs to become a mind flayer" is a lampshade event. lol wut? We have just freed the Gith messiah and we have the chosen of one of the most powerful gods in Faerun on our side I think we will be okay.

So you can kinda feel okay if Orpheus decides to become ghaik once he says no Gale's offer. But that is still a downer because the rebel Gith lose their most powerful weapon against Vlaakith as well as their most powerful weapon against the mindflayers. From a practical - not moral - stance that's bad news for the multiverse because the Gith prevent the mindflayer empire from reforming. Metaknowledge tells us that the rebel Gith actually do pretty well against Vlaakith without Orpheus but Tav doesn't know that at the time. And from a moral POV sitting there saying "go ahead, destroy your soul and the hopes of your people if you want" doesn't feel right either.

Hope people don't mind if I bring this in from this thread - I'm trying respect RQ's desire to keep the conversation in this thread.

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=949890#Post949890

Originally Posted by Dagless
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Good thread! Your summary captures my feelings well.

Oh well. I'll pass on this patch and let Tav's noble suicide stand as the depressing end to the journey.
Wow! If this is the best "good" ending we can have, then I'm now not sure I'd even want to play the game at all. This is to me an utterly horrible way for my game to end, not just a downer ending. frown

It isn’t.

Gale's ending could be better if it were rewritten to be consistent with FR lore. It would be the good aligned choice if we saw Gale get a Gawain and the Green Knight like moment where he sacrifices himself and we all get a scene where Mystra tells Gale he has redeemed himself that would nice. And Mystra would be acting like the Mystra of the forgotten realms novels, not like one of the gods from DOS2

But that's not ideal if you aren't playing Origin Gale because it takes attention away from Tav. Tav is no longer the main character, she is part of Gale's party.

Some are happy with squiding out and assuming that they will be good mind flayer. But we have sooo, so, so much in evidence in the game that tells us that is a bad assumption (all of which is backed up by FR lore)

So sacrificing your soul and committing suicide before you complete Ethel's prophecy of becoming a mind flayer that slaughters all their friends is the good ending. (good aligned, not just good for me). You avoid all the deadly sins, notably the sin of pride - Orpheus has more to offer the multiverse than does Tav. Letting him take the hit is, at best, a neutrally aligned option.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard