Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
H
I’m not sure of a nicer way to put this, but Larian’s system of an early access period for a game before it’s full release needs to be thrown in the trash before they dive into their next project. I’ve played BG3 since about the first day EA started and still play it now, and I’m 100% positive that I would like the game even more if it never had the EA period. Early Access is most certainly the primary reason that Larian has received the same severe criticism for both DOS: II and BG3. While the beginning of the games are phenomenal, they massively deteriorate in quality towards the end and feel like unfinished games that were rushed at the end of their development cycles. I’m confident that if Larian didn’t have several years of EA that they dedicated time to in BG3, we would have actually received a complete version of Act 3 without most of the content being cut and major sections of the story being rewritten. Having constant feedback from the public come in for the first act of the game in EA did allow them to fine tune that part of the game to the point where it was near perfect, but it is apparent that all this work on the early sections of the game sapped the developers passion and took away time from finishing the rest of the game. So here we are in a situation where BG3 Act 1 may be some of the best video gaming that has ever been made, but the game’s ending falls apart in catastrophic fashion, leaving me and many other fans disappointed in spite of all the great parts of this game. I have another thread in the BG3 section of the forums dedicated to bringing awareness to Larian that people are still unsatisfied with BG3, but it seems like they are adamant on leaving BG3 the way it is so they can explore new ideas. If that’s true, then they absolutely need to take this piece of criticism to heart and think about their development pipeline before their next game is met with the exact same feedback and they make even more fans upset.

L
stranger
stranger
L
Early Access period is done so they can get feedback from the dedicated players, which can help a lot in development and improve the product for the final release. While I do agree that the later Acts in Larian games tend to wane in quality a little bit compared to the stronger early Acts, it probably does not have anything to do with an Early Access period existing.

Last edited by Lukas Engel; 29/08/24 05:51 PM.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard