Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
Ohh Larian, thanks for finally fixing the "Grinch faces"! I thought they would stay at this point.

Originally Posted by Ussnorway
Gog makes the offline installers not Larian and 3 days is nothing... its a big change

Maybe (or they gave Larian the means for it?), but even then GOG can only make them if the devs deliver the necessary patch files, and we don't know if that's the case. Thus, an official statement about that here or on the GOG forum would be nice and professional.

3 days are long if you can't play with your friends on Steam anymore because they already got the update. This busted our weekly gaming session yesterday. And since there were tools to create patches autmatically by comparing the differences between two versions decades ago, I take the liberty to presume that the extent of the change shouldn't matter that much. But again, we don't know, so I'd be happy to be better informed and eventually corrected by an official.

edit Windows version 4.11.5849914 is now live for off line install

Yes, it already was when I asked about the patch installer, and that is still missing as I just checked. Instead of downloading and re-installing the whole game, we'd rather have much smaller patch installers to update it in much shorter time. (Actually, another of us needs it much more, because she has a slow internet connection and very limited disk space.) Even GOG Galaxy began to download over 100 GB when we tried to update BG3 this way yesterday, while many other GOG games (also big ones) just get quickly patched by it. So again, I dare to suspect that it's not a GOG issue (alone).

Disclaimer: I don't blame anyone (yet), we just would like to hear some estimate to know if we can expect a patch until our next session next sunday.

Last edited by Raban; 09/09/24 07:07 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Ok now after two days of working on BG 3 and the latest Patch I think I figured things out. But I've got a crucial question that has got me scratching my head.

Is the Baldur's Gate Mod Manager The same as the one for which you can get access via the Main menu button where you find all the "Coninue" "New Game" etc buttons? or is that something different?

I'm trying to find out ASAP as I'm trying to install "Norbytes BG 3 script extender".

Any help or information would be appreciated.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
This patch is crazy!
When I installed it, I got a message with yellow triangle warning signs "third party mods detected".
I could load none of my games.
I eventually uninstalled, Vortex as well, and re-installed.
I get this weird long, looks like a sign-in screen that doesn't really do anything.
I have to say, this is the worst thing you've done to date.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Raban
Gog makes the offline installers not Larian and 3 days is nothing... its a big change

Maybe (or they gave Larian the means for it?), but even then GOG can only make them if the devs deliver the necessary patch files, and we don't know if that's the case. Thus, an official statement about that here or on the GOG forum would be nice and professional.

From the GOG Developer Docs:
Offline (backup) installers are automatically generated on our servers after you publish a build to the Master branch. Because these installers are queued up for generation and publishing, there may be a delay of several hours between a build being published on the Master branch and an offline installer appearing in the game library.

This is why the full game's offline installer is usually out shortly after it goes live. Offline patches take longer to build and they have to be tested before releasing.

The full game and updates are available on Galaxy as soon as they're published, in pretty much the same way Steam works. There was initially an 11GB update in Galaxy when this version went live, but something went wrong. I don't know if GOG or Larian messed it up, but the 11GB update was failing and forcing it re-downloaded the whole game. It wasn't up long before it was caught, and the new "patch" everyone was getting was 124GB, which is basically the whole game.

3 days are long if you can't play with your friends on Steam anymore because they already got the update. This busted our weekly gaming session yesterday. And since there were tools to create patches autmatically by comparing the differences between two versions decades ago, I take the liberty to presume that the extent of the change shouldn't matter that much. But again, we don't know, so I'd be happy to be better informed and eventually corrected by an official.

Disclaimer: I don't blame anyone (yet), we just would like to hear some estimate to know if we can expect a patch until our next session next sunday.

Your friends should be able to downgrade to the previous version through Steam so you can continue. For the future, tell your friends to disable auto updates so you can continue playing until everyone can get updated.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by jimnms

From the GOG Developer Docs:
Offline (backup) installers are automatically generated on our servers after you publish a build to the Master branch. Because these installers are queued up for generation and publishing, there may be a delay of several hours between a build being published on the Master branch and an offline installer appearing in the game library.

This is why the full game's offline installer is usually out shortly after it goes live. Offline patches take longer to build and they have to be tested before releasing.

The full game and updates are available on Galaxy as soon as they're published, in pretty much the same way Steam works. There was initially an 11GB update in Galaxy when this version went live, but something went wrong. I don't know if GOG or Larian messed it up, but the 11GB update was failing and forcing it re-downloaded the whole game. It wasn't up long before it was caught, and the new "patch" everyone was getting was 124GB, which is basically the whole game.

Your friends should be able to downgrade to the previous version through Steam so you can continue. For the future, tell your friends to disable auto updates so you can continue playing until everyone can get updated.

I am on Steam, and would love to know how you downgrade to the previous version. Also, how does one disable automatic updates?

Salo Offline OP
Community Manager
OP Offline
Community Manager
If you want to go back to the Patch 6 version, we’ve made a Patch 6 beta branch available for those who want to to allow more time for mod authors to update their mods, continue to play on multiplayer with Mac, or keep your console cross-saves working!

1. Right click on BG3 in your Steam Library > Properties > Betas
2. On Beta Participation select: release_patch6_hf9

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Thanks ever so much!
You are a lifesaver!

old hand
old hand
Many mods meanwhile have upgraded to patch 7 versions which are not compatible anymore with patch 6, so make sure you rollback any mods you upgraded also. I had a nasty experience with improvedIO, which I had upgraded, but forgot to rollback, and because of this not a single mod worked anymore. Also those who did not indicate in their dependencies that they needed the improvedIO. So, it was not easy to track down. Fortunately, an experienced modder helped me with this.

Last edited by ldo58; 11/09/24 07:33 PM.
I don't know if GOG or Larian messed it up, but the 11GB update was failing and forcing it re-downloaded the whole game. It wasn't up long before it was caught, and the new "patch" everyone was getting was 124GB, which is basically the whole game.

Yes, we noticed that in Galaxy and Steam and we were quite shocked about the size which killed our weekly BG3 session that evening and presented (and still presents) a serious hurdle for one of us with very limited HD space.

Thanks for the explanation, where did you learn about the failed patch? Just curious.

Thanks, I'll relay that to our Steam player. He didn't find a downgrade option that evening, but he never needed one beforehand and thus, he didn't know where to look.

Fortunately, I didn't upgrade my GOG installation yet in the hope of a smaller patch. So, only our Steam friend has to downgrade his game.

Originally Posted by Salo
If you want to go back to the Patch 6 version, we’ve made a Patch 6 beta branch available for those who want to to allow more time for mod authors to update their mods, continue to play on multiplayer with Mac, or keep your console cross-saves working!

Thanks, that restored my faith in Larian! My sincere apologies for doubting you before. 😇

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Yes, we noticed that in Galaxy and Steam and we were quite shocked about the size which killed our weekly BG3 session that evening and presented (and still presents) a serious hurdle for one of us with very limited HD space.

Even after deleting a bunch of historic saved BG3 games, I didn't have enough hard disk space for the update so ended up following the suggestion in the patch notes to uninstall and reinstall the updated version of BG3 in Steam. It took a while, but did work.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by LeeRutland
I am on Steam, and would love to know how you downgrade to the previous version. Also, how does one disable automatic updates?

If you didn't find it already, disable auto updates on the properties page / updates tab. Select "Only update this game when I launch it."

Thanks for the explanation, where did you learn about the failed patch? Just curious

There were a couple of people on the GOG forums that said their initial patch was 11GB, but it failed with an error and began re-downloading the whole game.

If you didn't find it already, disable auto updates on the properties page / updates tab. Select "Only update this game when I launch it."

But won't that still update the game when you launch it?

old hand
old hand

But won't that still update the game when you launch it?

No if you install the patch 6 branch, you stay on THAT branch and no updates on the "normal" branch will be loaded. You'll have to explicitly choose the main branch again when you're ready to upgrade, after which it will downlad patch 7 and subsequent hotfixes.

Last edited by ldo58; 13/09/24 01:04 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard