Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sarene Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi everyone. I'm opening this thread in hopes of gathering the necessary support and get Larian to listen to us regarding the improvements that Dark Urge's story needs before they finally abandon BG3 updates.

First of all, I'm sorry if there's already a thread talking about this on the forum, as I just registered specifically for this and I couldn't find any threads among the most recent ones that address this issue.

One of the topics that people have asked to be fixed the most is the Dark Urge story, being a topic that is highly discussed on other internet forums, such as Reddit. It's clear that there is still a lot of reactivity missing from the companions in scenes that are extremely relevant to the story. Many of us have been disappointed to see that the climax scene of Resist Durge remains exactly the same after Patch 7. I honestly can't understand how this issue is being ignored, being that Durge is, along with Tav, the main character of the game, our own character. It feels very cold that in a key moment like that, our companions don't react at all, especially when our romance doesn't express anything after
seeing us die in front of their eyes.

It also doesn't make much sense that after the conversation with Gortash
and the big reveal about our role in the game's plot
, there is barely any reaction from the companions, and if there is, many of them don't make sense. Or when in Act 2
we met the necromancer in the Illithid Colony and it is discovered that our character is related to the main plot
and nobody comments on it.

There are many situations that could be improved by adding more dialogue and reactions, but at least I think the most important ones should be fixed somehow, otherwise it leaves Durge's story limping and feels somehow incomplete and sometimes this lack of reaction is so noticeable that the game immersion is broken. It's a shame, since I think the background of Dark Urge is great and allows our character to be part of the story and make it so much richer.

I'd like this thread to be a place to discuss all the moments that you think need to be fixed in Dark Urge's story, in the hopes that Larian will listen to us. Thank you!

Last edited by Sarene; 10/09/24 06:30 PM.
Sarene #949127 09/09/24 03:29 PM
I wholeheartedly support this request. People actually thought that Patch 7 would fix at least the most important moment of the whole Durge's storyline, since we were promised to get "Durge reactivity" in Patch 7.
Many people thought that since Larian is aware of Durge/Gortash shippers, they also know how many people were asking to fix this scene since release. So I guess, this is the reason this topic wasn't brought up before on this forum. Like, people were sure that Larian knows, I think?

Sarene #949155 09/09/24 08:32 PM
I
stranger
stranger
I
My vote as well!

Sarene #949156 09/09/24 08:51 PM
F
stranger
stranger
F
I absolutely agree! Durge is such a fantastic character, but sometimes it feels like the narrative support for them is lacking, especially if you play as a redemption Durge.

Sarene #949158 09/09/24 09:19 PM
L
stranger
stranger
L
I love the new evil endings, super glad some incentive to be evil exists but the fact that there is more reactivity to an embrace durge
betraying their partner and friends than there is to a resist durge literally dying in front of them to escape their evil god dad
feels like a slap in the face.

the fact there is no unique dialogue for romanced companions when you
resist bhaal either in the revival cutscene or camp dialogue is the most jarring. The one dialogue in the cutscene is so bland and it’s more about them being like ‘hey it’s okay you came back you did good things for me’ which is a lukewarm message at best and kinda mean at worst.

for comparison romanced Gale will say when you
nearly get blasted by the netherbrain “oh thank the heavens and hells and everything in between, I thought the brain would take you from me.” and that’s just when you were temporarily in mortal danger not had the blood squeezed out of you like a wet towel in front of him.

like it’s more intimate moment between you and
the skeleton man than you and the people who helped shape you into the person that could defy your father.

I also think evil resist durge could use some additional dialogue options. there’s plenty of reasons an evil durge would resist
bhaal but I always find the convo with withers very good aligned.

Last edited by letheral; 10/09/24 12:04 AM.
Sarene #949160 09/09/24 09:23 PM
B
stranger
stranger
B
I agree! I was very disappointed that nothing was updated with resist durge's big moment. For something that has been so commonly talked about on Reddit since release, I found it completely baffling that it was ignored.

letheral #949163 09/09/24 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by letheral
I love the new evil endings, super glad some incentive to be evil exists but the fact that there is more reactivity to an embrace durge
betraying their partner and friends than there is to a resist durge literally dying in front of them to escape their evil god dad
feels like a slap in the face.

the fact there is no unique dialogue for romanced companions when you
resist bhaal either in the revival cutscene or camp dialogue is the most jarring. The one dialogue in the cutscene is so bland and it’s more about them being like ‘hey it’s okay you came back you did good things for me’ which is a lukewarm message at best and kinda mean at worst.

for comparison romanced Gale will say when you
nearly get blasted by the netherbrain “oh thank the heavens and hells and everything in between, I thought the brain would take you from me.” and that’s just when you were temporarily in mortal danger not had the blood squeezed out of you like a wet towel in front of him.

like it’s more intimate moment between you and
the skeleton man than you and the people who helped shape you into the person that could defy your father.

I also think evil resist durge could use some additional dialogue options. there’s penalty of reasons an evil durge would resist
bhaal but I always find the convo with withers very good aligned.

Wonderful post. My thoughts exactly, but you've said it better than I could.

Yeah, we are only asking this exactly because we love this game SO MUCH. Personally, I'm willing to pay Larian more money just to see this game properly finished, I'm not asking any kind of DLC or new content. And I know for sure that many people feel the same.

Last edited by Rote90; 09/09/24 10:56 PM.
Sarene #949164 09/09/24 10:14 PM
stranger
stranger
100% this. For a climatic scene to the arc of one of the biggest main characters, I was quite baffled by how underwhelming the reactions were from my companions. I'm not expecting some overly dramatic weeping, but for god's sake, their friend/lover literally just died, can we get something more emotional than a blank stare? Get real, show the shock, the grief. Anything. It doesn't even have to be voice acted if bringing in the VAs is an issue, just a short moment where your companions stare in disbelief or a futile attempt to revive you while all the emotion is conveyed through their facial animations and body language would suffice at this point.

Really, companion reactivity for Durge in general leaves much to be desired. Like sure, we get the act 2 camp scene (which was great). But come act 3, outside of Astarion or what Jaheira and Minsc have to say, the rest of the romanceable companions have very little unique interactions with Durge. It's especially annoying how much more you get if you romance Astarion, it's like the writers only had him in mind and seemingly forgot to give the rest of the companions equal attention. This content disparity is really disappointing.

Shadowheart has just as much in common with Durge, like the memory issues/amnesia, the parallels between being asked to kill Nightsong much like Durge was asked to kill Isobel, the dichotomy of following their religion vs defying their god, being raised in an abusive cult with a parental-figure god that seeks to use them as a tool for their own agendas, etc. You'd think there'd be more moments for these two characters to bond over their shared experiences and that she'd have a bigger reaction to Durge's bravery for defying Bhaal and consequently getting killed for it, much like the way she defied Shar and got tortured for it. Lae'zel arguably has many similarities too.

What's crazy is that there IS Durge reactivity from companions, it's just not accessible. A dataminer found an extended version of Shadowheart's new haircut scene where if you're playing as Durge, she can tell you that your defiance against your god was what inspired her to turn away from Shar. It's just a couple of lines of dialogue, but it's these little moments that matter. Why didn't we get this?

I love this game and I'm happy the Embrace!Durge fans got some new evil endings in patch 7, but the neglect for Redemption!Durge will always be disheartening.

"I cast Guidance." [*Slaps your ass*]
Sarene #949165 09/09/24 10:15 PM
S
stranger
stranger
S
I 100% agree.
This was the main change I was hoping for with Patch 7 and it was disappointing to see those scenes stayed the same.
Really hoping this forum gains traction and the necessary attention.

Sarene #949168 09/09/24 10:26 PM
G
stranger
stranger
G
Adding onto what others in this thread have said: I love love love BG3, but resist/redemption Durge still feels really empty, and I was SO disappointed Patch 7 didn't add anything. As it stands, companions do not (but SHOULD) react to

- your butler showing up just before Moonrise assault
- the fact that Ketheric (and the Warden, people at Moonrise, etc) seem to know Durge
- Kressa's reveal about torturing Durge; they just stand there!
- your butler showing up just outside of the temple of Bhaal
- there's no long (or even short term) consequences or cut scenes after your companions learn you started the Absolute. Gale and Karlach SAY they're angry, once, and it's never addressed again
- SH/Wyll/Jaheira reactions are STILL bugged for me
- very disappointing reactions to the climax resist Durge scene (especially for romanced Astarion: the "twee" line sucks, guys)

If I could only have one thing improved, it'd be the Durge reactivity. Again, I love the game, but this kinda thing makes playing a resisting Durge kind of a bummer.

Last edited by gemthefi; 09/09/24 10:27 PM.
Sarene #949173 09/09/24 11:18 PM
L
stranger
stranger
L
Absolutely love the added camp features, new endings, and Durge lines have me rolling at times. Gotta agree that, while playing Durge is insanely fun/rewarding, it could definitely use polishing in a few key areas. Namely:

- Moonrise Towers reactions like meeting Ketheric and him expressing how he recognizes Durge. Also, in the Colony, Kressa spills the beans about some pretty horrific things and you can also find a
pod that you recognize with a check. No one says anything about any of it. Not even a one liner.

- After meeting Gortash, companions do have a little something to say, but it would be more impactful if they actually questioned Durge or something back at camp. Kinda in line with how they
gang up on Astarion with his revelation and they all have questions during a particuarly brutal Durge moment early game.

- And, the most important moment without a doubt, the culmination of Durge's trials coming to a head after they defeat Orin and choose redemption. Yes, companions have a line, but the energy
doesn't match the event. No one is concerned at all that Durge was handled like a ragdoll by daddy Bhaal. Just feels very lackluster considering this is a game that can easily take 200 hrs to
complete.

It's a fantastic game regardless. Probably will have 0 competition until Larian releases another tbh. It's hard not to connect with the characters, storyline and world. These are some of the only times in game that I've felt my immersion fade.

Last edited by Lesleynopes; 09/09/24 11:20 PM.
Sarene #949175 09/09/24 11:54 PM
L
stranger
stranger
L
I totally agree with what everyone is saying about
kressa
. It is one of the most skin crawling dialogues ESPECIALLY as a resist durge, and with her husband’s journal even worse. I adore it but would love some reaction from durge that isn’t ‘well this isn’t the person who messed me up’, moving on. I would love an aylin/ketheric scene where durge just keeps attacking her dead body over and over again in like a ptsd episode for resist and a ‘how dare you, you whelp’ thing for embrace. then some ‘are you okay dialogue?’ from your companions. That’s like a pipe dream but that’s how I rped it in my head and I always find the dialogue options lackluster.

I would also love to talk to my companions about the order from the
butler to kill isobel. given alfira I feel a resist durge would be like ‘hey if we see this cleric keep an eye on me idk what i might do.’

Last edited by letheral; 09/09/24 11:59 PM.
gemthefi #949176 09/09/24 11:56 PM
?
journeyman
journeyman
?
Support. Playing Durge is fun, but reactivity is low. The three instances you listed are the most egregious moments where companions REALLY need more in depth reactions. There's no way they wouldn't care! I actually thought Patch 7 would bring these changes with the "increased reactivity" but I guess not...

Originally Posted by gemthefi
Adding onto what others in this thread have said: I love love love BG3, but resist/redemption Durge still feels really empty, and I was SO disappointed Patch 7 didn't add anything. As it stands, companions do not (but SHOULD) react to

- your butler showing up just before Moonrise assault
- the fact that Ketheric (and the Warden, people at Moonrise, etc) seem to know Durge
- Kressa's reveal about torturing Durge; they just stand there!
- your butler showing up just outside of the temple of Bhaal
- there's no long (or even short term) consequences or cut scenes after your companions learn you started the Absolute. Gale and Karlach SAY they're angry, once, and it's never addressed again
- SH/Wyll/Jaheira reactions are STILL bugged for me
- very disappointing reactions to the climax resist Durge scene (especially for romanced Astarion: the "twee" line sucks, guys)

If I could only have one thing improved, it'd be the Durge reactivity. Again, I love the game, but this kinda thing makes playing a resisting Durge kind of a bummer.

Also agree with these for slightly less egregious moments. Sceleritas Fel
also eventually joins your camp as an embrace Durge, and if I recall, no one has any reactions to this weird lil creature suddenly showing up?
Lol. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while. But that's definitely an instance where there should at least be 1-2 liner reactions...

Last edited by 🌸Yume🌸; 09/09/24 11:57 PM.
Sarene #949178 10/09/24 12:01 AM
Y
stranger
stranger
Y
I agree and also I want to romance Fel because hes the only one who cares if you die.

Sarene #949181 10/09/24 12:09 AM
L
stranger
stranger
L
1000% agree. I love the durge storyline and pretty much only play durge. but this would make it a near perfect experience! even just a few lines would vastly improve the narrative and flow of the story.

yaypepsi #949182 10/09/24 12:13 AM
?
journeyman
journeyman
?
Originally Posted by yaypepsi
I agree and also I want to romance Fel because hes the only one who cares if you die.

I doubt they would do this considering the effort it would take, but not gonna lie... Agreed. Unironically. It would be cute in a twisted way. He came off as wanting Durge bad lol! And he cares more than anyone else in that scene...

Sarene #949183 10/09/24 12:32 AM
T
stranger
stranger
T
I completely agree as well and I registered on the forum specifically because I saw this post on Reddit and this should addressed. Imho, it is one of the few big gripes I have with the game. It's crazy how many pivotal moments for Durge, who is pretty much the main character of the game storywise, have so little reactions from other companions. At very least, companions should be able to react to the fact that Durge
is pretty much the reason why, they ended up with parasites in their heads, since they were initially responsible for the entire the Elder Brain plot along with Gortash. That's so bizarre, that companions wouldn't react to Durge just straight up dying when rejecting Bhaal.

Sarene #949189 10/09/24 01:19 AM
D
stranger
stranger
D
I made an account on these forums just to make sure that this post gets it as much support as I can provide it. It is such a huge hole for your friends and even potentially a lover to watch you be exsanguinated with no forewarning that withers is going to come wither at you and they just don't react. You are literally actually dead in front of them and nothing.

Sarene #949192 10/09/24 01:38 AM
apprentice
apprentice
I really only play as a redeemed dark urge, so I wholeheartedly agree with this!! About that certain important durge scene- companions will scream if you've fallen in battle, but this is the time they don't scream? They just stand there doing nothing. Maybe the other companions I can look past but if you bring your lover along they have no interaction to this. Not to mention the conversation you have with your lover afterwards is not that great either. When patch 7 came out I really thought they would implement that specific scene since they said they added more durge interactions.

Also if they can't add more dialogue to a certain person near the end of act 2 (I have no idea how to hide things for spoilers I just made this account yesterday lol but you guys know who I'm talking about) the least they could do is add in some banter. Like when you're done killing her maybe have one of the companions whose with you say something like idk "How did she know you?" or something along those lines.

Originally Posted by yaypepsi

That's so hilarious, because it's true. You actually made me LOL, thank you XD

Originally Posted by jessiemeows
About that certain important durge scene- companions will scream if you've fallen in battle, but this is the time they don't scream? They just stand there doing nothing.

Astarion when Durge sticks their hand into a slimy hole: "What's happening? Speak to me! WAKE UP!!!"
Astarion when Durge actually died: "That was very tweee"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard