Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
stranger
stranger
J
Dear Larian,

I, too, have registered on this forum just because I really wanted to support this cause.

I am obsessed with the game. I've put in 2.5k hours in already (I know, I know) and intend on playing for many, many more. I really appreciate what you have given us — this is my favorite game of all time. Even after this much time, I still find new things that I haven't discovered yet and I love how much effort you have put into honoring the players' choices and making the world truly come alive. I like that every little place you explore has its own story, even if it's not something we can discover.

That's why I am begging for you to update reactivity for the redemption Dark Urge before closing the book on the game. I don't want to be someone who isn't grateful for what you've done, or harasses developers because of my feelings. However, given the amazing reactivity within the game to so many things, it feels very odd to have no reactivity to some really crucial moments for the Dark Urge. And given that I basically exclusively play a resist!Dark Urge (I can't be evil, but I love the character's plot and theme relevance within the game) it would mean everything to me to have it updated.

One of my favorite things about the Dark Urge is the Act 2 companion scene that happens when
the Dark Urge refuses to kill Isobel and Scleritas insists that they must kill their beloved.
It's basically the reason that I play the character. It was so emotionally moving for me, to have your love interest/bff look out for your character. It really made the relationship feel real and reciprocal, and made it feel like both characters were really saving one another.

That's why it feels almost hurtful when your love interest and companions barely react when
Bhaal kills the Dark Urge for rejecting him.
I love the scene with Withers that follows — it is very powerful — but I think it would be an even more powerful moment to have more reactivity. If Gale
panics when the Netherbrain blasts you in the Morphic Pool, it feels odd that he's just kind of like "Great to have you back — what's up"? when his love dies in front of him.
The Astarion "twee" comment is so rude (and my Roman Empire, honestly) in this context, especially given the extra attention Astarion has with the Dark Urge within the game. (For that matter, I think it would be nice for all the companions to have a bit more depth to their reactivity based on their experiences, like Astarion does.) I love Astarion's reaction when the Dark Urge
tries to break up with him because they're afraid to hurt him
— having this option with all the companions would be really lovely.

If you could only update one moment, I am pleading for the resist!Dark Urge's climax to be updated.

If it's possible to update more, I would also ask for some more reactivity to the revelations in Moonrise Towers. For example:
  • It would be really cool to have the companions question why Ketheric recognized you. Obviously, the Dark Urge wouldn't know at that point, but it would be good for others to notice this. Same with the Warden.
  • A reaction, at least from your love interest/highest approval companion, to the discovery of Dark Urge's smashed pod.
  • Finally, it would be really fantastic to have the companions react to Kressa Bonedaughter saying that she experimented on you. Just a line from someone like "You'll pay for this!" and then some kind of comfort or consolation after.

Also, I think an extended conversation (and reactions from all the companions) to Gortash's reveal would be super appreciated. I understand why everyone (who has a reaction — most of my companions don't?) is angry — that makes complete sense. It just is very jarring to have one line of anger, and then to continue normal conversation as if it never happened. I know this would involve more work, but I think it would highly improve the absolutely shock of that reveal.

Anyway, I can go on and on about this. Given all the evil endings added in Patch 7, I had thought that the Dark Urge reactivity would have been updated as well, especially for the redemption path. I appreciate all the work that was done on those endings, but as someone who only plays the goodiest of two-shoes, I just really hope for some more attention to this storyline.

Thank you!

Last edited by jynerso; 10/09/24 11:31 PM.
Sarene #949277 11/09/24 12:21 AM
I
stranger
stranger
I
I made an account just to support this, when I learned that they added NOTHING the wind was completely taken out of my sails. I am incredibly disappointed. No point to a durge campaign if the companions, who are the best part about this game, dont care

Sarene #949290 11/09/24 02:11 AM
I agree with this as well. What's with the minimum companion reaction for a Durge's major events? It's almost treated as a silly moment. So weird. It would be nice to have some level of impact.

Sarene #949309 11/09/24 06:42 AM
D
stranger
stranger
D
I really feel the need to bring it up again: this might not be much of a prominent topic in here, but it's one of the most discussed issues on the subreddit. People love playing redemption Durge and really care about the story. I am absolutely sure more people would have been vocal about it in the months prior to the patch, but considered it obvious that the new patch would include certain additions during the conclusion scene.

Patch 7 included a bunch of brand new scenes that were newly written, animated and voiced, so the team must have come together once again to create them. Why was the Durge storyline not included in this process?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the new evil cinematics I have watched, but as a player who simply can't stomach playing evil and almost exclusively plays durge, a satisfying conclusion to the dark urge storyline was the main reason I've been so stoked for the patch, and I'm heartbroken that we didn't get it.

Sarene #949318 11/09/24 07:48 AM
Sarene Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I agree, a lot of people thought these issues would be addressed in this latest patch, as the notes mentioned improved reactivity in the Dark Urge story, so this has been a huge disappointment. Especially the climax scene of Resist Durge. As others have said, I think if there was only one thing that could be fixed I would choose that moment. We're not asking for anything super dramatic either, just that our companions don't act so frivolous after we've died in front of them, especially our romance.

Speaking of romance, I think something that would please a lot of people and give a perfect final closure to the Dark Urge story would be if at camp, the night after we've defeated Orin and resisted Bhaal, there was a special scene with our romance, just like every companion has their own after completing their personal quest. I think Durge's character deserves another one after completing his own. I know this is perhaps too much to ask, but just like how evil endings were added to give closure to Embrace Durge, I think this could have been done and would have given a more than satisfactory closure to Resist Durge's story.

Sarene #949323 11/09/24 08:40 AM
B
stranger
stranger
B
Yes, I also think that Dark Urge deserves whole cutscene after completing their quest. Although Larian said that there won't be any more major content additions, so I'm not hoping for that. But I believe that small dialogue changes or new options are still possible and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that smile

Sarene #949325 11/09/24 08:58 AM
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Sarene
I agree, a lot of people thought these issues would be addressed in this latest patch, as the notes mentioned improved reactivity in the Dark Urge story, so this has been a huge disappointment. Especially the climax scene of Resist Durge. As others have said, I think if there was only one thing that could be fixed I would choose that moment. We're not asking for anything super dramatic either, just that our companions don't act so frivolous after we've died in front of them, especially our romance.

Speaking of romance, I think something that would please a lot of people and give a perfect final closure to the Dark Urge story would be if at camp, the night after we've defeated Orin and resisted Bhaal, there was a special scene with our romance, just like every companion has their own after completing their personal quest. I think Durge's character deserves another one after completing his own. I know this is perhaps too much to ask, but just like how evil endings were added to give closure to Embrace Durge, I think this could have been done and would have given a more than satisfactory closure to Resist Durge's story.

Yes, a scene like that as a reward for completing Durge's story would be great.
I would also like to point out that it seems there are some diaogues that are either not implemented or bugged regarding Durge.
I clearly remember reading on a reddit post that the post amnesia revelation dialogue (I think after talking with Gortash? Or just a bit earlier) are bugged, and every companion react as if they had low approval (that's why the lines are so "mean").
Also a modder implemented an unused dialogue where
Selune Shadowheart tells Durge that her new hairstyle was inspired by their action against Bhaal.
There's no reason to NOT add these dialogues that are already there and would improve the experience, even though THAT SCENE still need to be fixed, because it's hilarious the contrast between how dramatic it is and how lacking the companion's reaction is.

Last edited by MaryQueen; 11/09/24 08:59 AM.
MaryQueen #949338 11/09/24 10:38 AM
Sarene Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by MaryQueen
There's no reason to NOT add these dialogues that are already there and would improve the experience, even though THAT SCENE still need to be fixed, because it's hilarious the contrast between how dramatic it is and how lacking the companion's reaction is.

I suspect some of the Resist Durge's post-climax scene dialogues are bugged as well. I can't believe Astarion's infamous twee dialogue line was meant to be said in the case of a romance with him in his Spawn route. It just doesn't make any sense and doesn't fit his character at all after all his evolution and previous dialogues with Durge. That dialogue in particular I found to be the most hurtful in the game, seriously, a stab in the heart every time I hear it xD

Also, it's a shame to know that there are dialogues within the game files, like's Shadowheart, that for some reason are not triggered.

Last edited by Sarene; 11/09/24 10:39 AM.
Sarene #949340 11/09/24 10:55 AM
veteran
veteran
You know, you guys make me so happy, finally campaigning for something not romance related.

Durge as a whole needs more reaction. When you have the act 1 scene with the bard and you confess, you get a lukewarm "We will keep an eye on you" and then it's never talked about again. The only one, who seems to take it seriously is our buddy Withers.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
M
stranger
stranger
M
Like many people here, I've also created an account to lend my support to this thread! After reading all the comments so far, I have to say that I completely agree with everyone here. Playing a Redeemed Dark Urge was the most fun I've had in the game so far, I absolutely loved seeing my character more connected to the plot than Tav and seeing them progress through their story was incredible. But the reaction of our companions throughout the game seemed really lacklustre, to say the least.

We do have the big act 1 and act 2 camp scene
Alfira and not killing Isobel resulting in our butler telling us to kill our love interest/BFF
which are really important for the character development and are great but aside from that there is nothing much going on. Many characters throughout act 2 and 3 know the Dark Urge and none of the companions react to them. For example :
Act 2 scene in Illithid Colony:
In act 2, in the Illithid Colony, Kressa talks about how she loved experimenting on the Dark Urge. I think it could be nice to have our companions react to this, even if, like someone said in this thread, just have one of them say in a banter something loke : "How does she know you?".

Act 3 corronation scene:
For the Gortash reveal, the companions DO react to the Dark Urge being the mastermind behind everything that happened to them untill that moment, but again, the reactions feel empty. They are angry for the one line they say and okay the second after. I think It could be nice to have them be uninteractable after them saying their lines until the next long rest (to hammer down the fact they ask for time to think about this big revelation). What would be really nice to conclude this moment, would be to have a small camp event where the companions confront the Dark Urge. Or if a camp event is really too much, just after the long rest, have the companions apologize for reacting so harshly.

Act 3 scene dark urge key moment:
For the big moment of Dark Urge when rejecting Bhaal (the most important one in my opinion), it would be really appreciated to have the companions whith us at this moment react to our death before Wither's intervention. Having nobody comment on it or reacting, not even our love interest is really anti climatic. This moment is the conclusion to our personal story, not having any reaction from companions we have been travelling with for so long, who we helped through their story, feels lukewarm. Maybe, having them try to run to our character or use one of the line they say when our character is down in combat or something like this before being interrupted by Wither resurecting us would alreay be miles better. Afterwards, during the next long rest, it would be really noce to have a conclusion to our story with a scene with ou companions congratuling the Dark Urge for resisting Bhaal.

As someone who absolutely love the redeemed Dark Urge route, I was really awaiting Patch 7 to fix some of the reactivity, if not add more (especially after reading this line in the patch note: "Dotted more Dark Urge reactivity" and was disappointed to see none of it. I really hope, at least, the key moment for the resolution of a redeemed dark urge could be fixed before Larian stop updating the game. Larian, if you could do something, we'd all be really grateful!

(sorry if my english feels wonky, it's not my first language, I hope everything is still comprehensible)

Sarene Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Milkahia
Act 3 corronation scene:
For the Gortash reveal, the companions DO react to the Dark Urge being the mastermind behind everything that happened to them untill that moment, but again, the reactions feel empty. They are angry for the one line they say and okay the second after. I think It could be nice to have them be uninteractable after them saying their lines until the next long rest (to hammer down the fact they ask for time to think about this big revelation). What would be really nice to conclude this moment, would be to have a small camp event where the companions confront the Dark Urge. Or if a camp event is really too much, just after the long rest, have the companions apologize for reacting so harshly.

Thanks for your comment, you have explained everything perfectly! English is not my first language either, so I understand you and appreciate the effort.

I totally agree with everything you've pointed out and I think these are great ideas.There definitely should have been a conversation at camp after Gortash's reveal, some kind of confrontation where they ask Durge for explanations.The current reactions feel... weird and some are buggy. For example, Karlach. After Gortash's reveal, she first asks you what you think of Gortash (same conversation as Tav) and if you talk to her again she's suddenly furious and asks for some time to process everything. Time that apparently was only a few seconds, because if you talk to her again she's as happy as ever and never mentions the matter again xD There definitely should have been some conversation in between. And so with the rest of the companions. These kinds of details make the writing feel poor at times and the immersion of the game is severely broken.

stranger
stranger
I also made an account to support this thread and others made by people who share similar love for Redeemed Durge as I do and wanting the experience to feel complete rather then where we are at with many scenes feeling jarring from the lack of the reaction from the companions
despite info being dropped about them being the mastermind right in front of them until the Gortash scene in act 3 but afterwards they just go back to normal as if it didn't happen.

From what I understand that the dark urge was a late addition however these issues with their story have existed since launch with nothing being done to improve them even 7 patches that personally saddens me a lot, I hope we get tweaks to these scenes especially in Acts 2 & 3 before Larian moves on to other projects and hope this thread brings more eyes to this.

Last edited by Gale'shandholder; 12/09/24 07:07 AM. Reason: Grammar and typos mistakes

silence is golden, duct tape is silver
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Gale'shandholder
I also made an account to support this thread and others made by people who share similar love for Redeemed Durge as I do and wanting the experience to feel complete rather then where we are at with many scenes feeling jarring from the lack of the reaction from the companions
despite info being dropped about them being the mastermind right in front of them until the Gortash scene in act 3 but afterwards they just go back to normal as if it didn't happen.

From what I understand that the dark urge was a late addition (from what I understand) however these issues with their story have existed since launch with nothing being done to improve them even 7 patches that personally saddens me a lot and with the lack of Wyll content compared to the other companions like Shadowheart and Astarion, I hope we get tweaks to these scenes especially in Acts 2 & 3 before Larian moves on to other projects and hope this thread brings more eyes to this.

From what I know in EA it seems like Tav/dark urge were the same character. TAV had some strange murderous vision at the end of one of "Daisy" (the guardian) dream.
I think they chose to separate the two origins because Durge is a very dark character, and it kind of limit the chance to roleplay.
Still, while I can't play Durge as a shining knight, I find their story of redemption much more compelling then playing a blank slate like Tav.

And honestly I don't understand why they said to save Durge for a second playthrough because "the story changes too much".

I mean, almost all death are avoidable and you can roleplay as a "good" character. The changes are the connection that Durge has to the story, that is much more compelling.

Again, the only problem is the lack of reactivity, that I can't still "forgive" apart for that scene.

Sarene #949448 11/09/24 08:22 PM
S
stranger
stranger
S
I 100% agree with this thread.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Yes, please. There are a few places where there needs to be more reactivity from companions. The companions are everything in this game and it's so jarring that the final scene for Redemption!Durge feels so empty because of the lack of reactivity (and it's just not realistic for them to be standing there doing nothing?) I was hoping at least my romanced companion Shadowheart would be distraught. She had recently shared
that she wanted to spend the rest of her life with me, with a cottage with lots of animals
, but all I got afterwards at camp is "Thanks I would have been worm food without you." Ummm, what? That's all you have to say, after what you just saw and all we've been through? How about, ummmm, something about how you thought you almost lost me, and come in for a hug to cry into me, and then remark how you thought what I did was brave regardless. I dunno. The worm food line is terrible frown

I wanted the love interest/closet companion to try and fail to resurrect Durge, cry over them, only for
Withers to have to swoop in and bring them back to life.

There are other places where I would like more reactivity. Like visiting Moonrise and
when characters there recognize your character.
That should set off some alarm bells from companions.

Then the
Kressa reveal in the Mind Flayer colony where she reveals she found you and experimented on your body, taking you apart and putting you back together again. How she's surprised you can talk. Companions should be questioning that....

The Gortash reveal should get more extreme reactions,
since you started the Absolute.
They all did seem pissed when approached, especially Karlach, but I wanted more interruptions from them during the actual cutscene. And the companions go back to normal after. I think it'd be better if they stayed mad and distant to you for a long rest or two, where they have to "sleep on it" and think, before forgiving your character because they know that isn't who you are anymore.

But the final scene needs to most work and I would be happy if that's the only thing that can get fixed. I hope it can before patches are abandoned for this game, as I can't see myself playing anything but Durge for different playthroughs.

Last edited by Beetle; 11/09/24 09:15 PM.
Sarene #949468 11/09/24 09:27 PM
Sarene Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
From what I know in EA it seems like Tav/dark urge were the same character. TAV had some strange murderous vision at the end of one of "Daisy" (the guardian) dream.
I think they chose to separate the two origins because Durge is a very dark character, and it kind of limit the chance to roleplay.
Still, while I can't play Durge as a shining knight, I find their story of redemption much more compelling then playing a blank slate like Tav.

And honestly I don't understand why they said to save Durge for a second playthrough because "the story changes too much".

I mean, almost all death are avoidable and you can roleplay as a "good" character. The changes are the connection that Durge has to the story, that is much more compelling.

Again, the only problem is the lack of reactivity, that I can't still "forgive" apart for that scene.

Seriously? I didn't know they were originally the same character. I wish I had played Early Access to appreciate all the things that have changed and to be able to experience all the content that no longer exists.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I wish they hadn't made two separate characters and gone all in on Durge. This would have allowed that the story of our character and the story of the game were better connected, potentially resulting in an excellent and richer narrative. Dark, yes, but compelling, well-written and solid.

But I also understand that people like to create their own headcanon about their character's background and this gives them more freedom to roleplay, and that the darkness surrounding Durge is not everyone's cup of tea. On the other hand I also think that a lot of casual players don't get to deep and give Durge a chance because they think that playing them takes you away all freedom to roleplay and forces you to do evil, when we know that this doesn't have to be the case and actually, the path of redemption is -in my opinion- more satisfying to play.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on with my thoughts xD

Sarene #949559 12/09/24 08:23 AM
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Sarene

Seriously? I didn't know they were originally the same character. I wish I had played Early Access to appreciate all the things that have changed and to be able to experience all the content that no longer exists.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I wish they hadn't made two separate characters and gone all in on Durge. This would have allowed that the story of our character and the story of the game were better connected, potentially resulting in an excellent and richer narrative. Dark, yes, but compelling, well-written and solid.

But I also understand that people like to create their own headcanon about their character's background and this gives them more freedom to roleplay, and that the darkness surrounding Durge is not everyone's cup of tea. On the other hand I also think that a lot of casual players don't get to deep and give Durge a chance because they think that playing them takes you away all freedom to roleplay and forces you to do evil, when we know that this doesn't have to be the case and actually, the path of redemption is -in my opinion- more satisfying to play.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on with my thoughts xD

Yes, if you search "BG3 EA Daisy Dream" you'll esaily find some video. In the last dream the narrator says "Something inside you clamours for blood, for death, and only the tear of flesh will do. It wants him (to kill Daisy)"
And then you have the choice "Resist him and the URGE".

So I think we can safely say that they were the same character. I understand their choice though, but as you said many players probably didn't give the Durge a chance thinking you need to be evil or that it's like the other Origins where you play a specific character. Honestly I would've preferred if instead of letting us play us Karlach/SH/Astarion etc., that I don't enjoy because you lose their great VA and it feels like playing a lobotomized version and not really them (I cringed so hard when I realized playing as Lazael all the lines are the same except for one/two occasionally that fits her), they made a better Durge/TAV.

Sarene #949741 13/09/24 01:46 AM
W
stranger
stranger
W
I just loaded up an old save where the resist path was completed after the temple. I spoke to my companions and they were all talking and congratulating me on conquering the urges and overcoming. Every companion that wasn't in the current party(because I assume those three, Jaheira/Astarion/Lae'zell, would have done it already at the time, but I didn't check it) commented on it. Wyll, Karlach, Shadowheart, Minsc, Gale -- all of them had something to say.

I don't know if you all had glitchy saves, but the dialogue is there. This was a saved game from December 12, 2023 of last year.

I am beyond pleased now. I am going to do another playthrough as a Dark Urge again because this is my all-time favorite.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Winters0075
I just loaded up an old save where the resist path was completed after the temple. I spoke to my companions and they were all talking and congratulating me on conquering the urges and overcoming. Every companion that wasn't in the current party(because I assume those three, Jaheira/Astarion/Lae'zell, would have done it already at the time, but I didn't check it) commented on it. Wyll, Karlach, Shadowheart, Minsc, Gale -- all of them had something to say.

I don't know if you all had glitchy saves, but the dialogue is there. This was a saved game from December 12, 2023 of last year.

I am beyond pleased now. I am going to do another playthrough as a Dark Urge again because this is my all-time favorite.

And that's nice, but it still feels very bare bones compared to earlier moments in the game—for example, like an earlier posted said, if you stick your hand into the hole in Moonrise, your companions will get worried/shout in that cutscene, not after... but when they watch you get literally exsanguinated by your father, a god, the big moment of the resist!Durge storyline, nobody has any reaction to that in the moment? Why? That's what people are taking issue with. What we have now isn't bad, but it does feel a bit anticlimactic. But besides that, many people (including myself) take issue with some of the reactions you mention as well; spawn!Astarion's "twee" comment is a little jarring if you're romancing him, for example.

That said, if I could only get one thing fixed, I'd want companion reactivity to Durge moments in Act 2 over beefing up this scene, since so many moments in Act 2 (Kressa!) get no reactions at all.

Last edited by gemthefi; 13/09/24 04:26 AM.
Sarene #949757 13/09/24 05:31 AM
S
stranger
stranger
S
couldn't agree more! the lack of companion reaction at moonrise towers was so jarring the it broke my immersion completely. I actually thought that maybe I had encountered a glitch and they were supposed to react, and then I was sure it would be fixed with the next patch, but it never changed.

the lack of reaction to what kressa reveals is especially disappointing, but it's also incredibly bizarre that no one reacts to durge being recognized by others or the warden saying that they were an important guest before. then the companions all act shocked at what gortash reveals in act 3, but like, they didn't even question all the incredibly obvious signs in moonrise towers...?

I really, really love the durge storyline, but that lack of companion reactivity is disappointing and jarring and I wish it would be improved at all. one of the most fun things about playing durge is how much it feels like being the protagonist, with your backstory being part of the central plot. but then when the other characters in the story completely ignore it, it falls a little flat.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard