Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Originally Posted by SpookyBookey
People are asking for this path to be changed again because they want to support their narrative reading (typically noncon/ ‘abusive’) of this path.

i dont understand whose side youre on here. nobody wants to support noncon or abusive paths, but there is absolutely a space for scared facial expressions in this. there are valid reasons. listen, i am totally with you, AA doesnt HAVE to be triggering a scared expression, but the reaction is valid and should be in the game.

You have multiple times and opportunities to break up with AA if you are unhappy with the dynamic, so I think adding additional flags for facial expressions is the wrong move - especially if they lock you into selecting certain dialogue options (which will limit roleplaying).

i am not saying i can NEVER break up with him, but there is a difference between smiling enthusiastically and then breaking up vs being scared and breaking up. why would you break up if you enjoyed the kiss? like i said, the flagged dialogues are a suggestion. there can be a different dialogue that is more suitable.

to not change the facial expression since they are the most neutral ones out of any kisses in the game.

i do not understand what is neutral about those. if you think scared tav is not neutral, but enthusiastically smiling is, how? there is nothing neutral about either of those.

the problem is that only having one facial expression will always upset the other side of the argument here. so i dont understand why we cant have both. none and both will be canon at the same time because you can only have one in YOUR game. just like UA is no more canon than AA since you cant have both.

The reason people are bringing up other companions is because imo it is unfair to only provide Astarion this level of treatment. Every other romantic path includes a smiling Tav/PC with their love interest kisses - no matter their alignment. People are asking for this path to be changed again because they want to support their narrative reading (typically noncon/ ‘abusive’) of this path.

As have been pointed out already, this 'unfair' treatment has already happened.
Larian already worked on AA kisses twice instead of fixing the amount of Spawn's kisses and lines.
Both animations for AA kisses exist. Already. It's too late for this argument.

(Warning, discussion of rough scenes)
Also, DJ Shadowheart doesn't choke you in her kisses. She doesn't put Tav on their knees.
So this is completely different.
Also, it's not like Shadowheart's fans (or any other companion's fans for that matter) are currently unhappy with their Tav's facial expressions.

And yes, I want my narrative reading of this path. I play it exactly for non-con. Just like I (and many other people) play Haarlep scene. So what?

(Warning: discussion of a possible non-con)
It's already one of the canon paths that AA won't let Tav break up with him when tadpoles are gone. And once again in the epilogue. Which is the very definition of doing something against other people's consent. It is already in canon.
So my reading is completely valid and based on AA's possible canon. This exists in the game for a reason. Just like his new line: "You didn't leave me, I let you go." He again reinforces how Tav belongs to him and he has complete control over their actions.

Last edited by Rote90; 12/09/24 05:01 PM.
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Originally Posted by Natasy
I choose "be gentle" in the moment because in that setting, I think it's sweet, and an intimate connection. That doesn't mean I think my PC would cover to Astarion in every kiss going forward by any means.

I *do not* want to RP ab*se or DV. Nor do many of the people who chose "be gentle". And I would have to meta game to know which one would I would be getting. An always on my toes about it. That's not fun, nor in the spirit of Rooney's "evil but enjoyable enough to bring to the table."

hence why it makes sense to just have two dialogue options. of course, if you choose "be gentle" once doesnt mean anything for the next time. but his kisses arent gentle, he bites and pushes, in whatever way you interpret it, it isnt gentle or soft in and of itself. this is why people play AA and not UA. because of this treatment. it can be interpreted in different ways. this is no more meta-gaming than choosing not to sleep with him or farming his approval. if you want smiling tav they wouldnt ask for gentle kisses, because they are not gentle to begin with.

Last edited by BlueScaliesxx98; 12/09/24 04:41 PM.
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
i deleted so many passages from my initial long post because i felt like it might be taken the wrong way, which i didnt want. but this is exactly what the discussions on reddit also brought forth: patch 7 supporters got what they wanted (even though they already had the mod which made them even happier than patch 7 apparently does), and now they wont move an inch.

for some reason patch 6 supporters show understanding and dont want to take patch 7 away from you, but you wont grant them the same. i dont understand how having BOTH in the game favors ONE side.

it sucks that you had to resort to the mod in the first place, i am on your side here. but doing the same to the others now is just not fair.

?
journeyman
journeyman
?
Agreed that the AA kisses Larian added aren't gentle at all already. Which is why I wish they had been more careful about adding this rough content without warning in the first place. But it has already been done and we have to work with it.

On further reflection I DO agree that the suggested wording can be tweaked to be clearer to players what they're in for. I don't want ANY players getting unpleasantly surprised by what they got, like I did. I'll have to think more about better wording.

And completely agreed with the mod arguments. Mods can be taken down. It already happened to some mods I liked. Not everyone has access to mods yet right now. And, only players who know about these kisses would even know to download a mod in the first place. Which doesn't help my issue that players can get surprised by unexpected rough content.

Originally Posted by BlueScaliesxx98
i dont understand how having BOTH in the game favors ONE side.

Agreed.

Last edited by 🌸Yume🌸; 12/09/24 04:58 PM.
for some reason patch 6 supporters show understanding and dont want to take patch 7 away from you, but you wont grant them the same. i dont understand how having BOTH in the game favors ONE side.

Exactly this.
I don't want to accuse anyone, but it's starting to feel like gatekeeping.
I'm not asking to take happy expression away from the other AA fans. I've never asked for this. From the very start I've said it should be an option. Even though, for me personally, they are just as much triggering, as scared faces are triggering for the other side of this argument.
We are ready to compromise, but other side just isn't.

Originally Posted by 🌸Yume🌸
Agreed that the AA kisses Larian added aren't gentle at all already. Which is why I wish they had been more careful about adding this rough content without warning in the first place. But it has already been done and we have to work with it.

I really agree with this tbh. Larian made this mess themselves. Idk what they were doing. And of course, absolutely, even seeing these kisses, are going to be triggering to some.

I personally, with a happy face, do not see them as abuse. And think giving scared faces will only make matters worse. But I know fully that some seeing throat grabs, shoves, face pushes, is going to be very hurtful and shocking just in general. I wish they would've left gentler kisses in the rotation for some.

While I don't agree with your proposed fix, I can commiserate and empathize with you greatly on that. At this point, I think we're all just tired.

journeyman
journeyman
Against

Many words have been said in this thread, why we are against it.

journeyman
Online Sleepy
journeyman
We are probably afraid of losing happy faces. Because they are unlikely to make two options.

?
journeyman
journeyman
?
Thank you, Natasy. I disagree with you on some things but I absolutely see where you are coming from. It's a whole can of worms.

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
you are totally right in that it can be a surprise, especially for new players. while i definitely dont want people with a certain experience in abuse etc. to get triggered, this would be bad *obviously*, there are other instances of it already in the game. like choosing to sleep with astarion in act 2, its literally tagged as forced sex scene in the dialogues, and anyone regardless of having experience in this or not, will see the scene for what it is and exactly what the tag correctly says. so it isnt completely unavoidable since you can never know what exactly will trigger someone. hell, sometimes people themselves dont even know what will trigger them until is does. so adding a dialogue option for both is kind of the best that can be done from what we know.

also agree, that patch 6 could have been implemented better. like i said, both expressions are too extreme and triggering for different people for different reasons.

like ive been trying to say, there is no canon story wise, so no canon as to how your tav would react. but there IS a canon as to what AA does. so it only becomes canon once you choose the options. hence i dont want EITHER as the default.

?
journeyman
journeyman
?
Originally Posted by illeaillas-san
We are probably afraid of losing happy faces. Because they are unlikely to make two options.

That makes sense and I sympathize with it. I truly hope Larian will make two options and not take anything away from anyone. And try to make the maximum amount of people happy.

Last edited by 🌸Yume🌸; 12/09/24 05:05 PM.
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Originally Posted by illeaillas-san

why not though? nobody is trying to take away the happy faces, not at all. i dont know if you read through the other posts, but speaking for myself, i was very happy when patch 6 came out, i though from my then POV that it was fitting. i see now that both are valid though. at first i didnt agree with the happy faces, but i was shown that there is definitely space for both. both animations are complete, it would only take a dialogue flag (for example). i think it can be done and personally, i will not be in favor of removing the happy face to replace it with the other again. both can co-exist just fine.

I can speak for myself, I got triggered, unexpectedly for myself, by watching the new evil endings. But I don't blame anyone, especially Larian. Or course I don't. I chose to watch them. I don't even blame myself, because I couldn't have known that these endings would have such an impact on me.
So imo, it's unavoidable that someone can get triggered the first time they see something new in this game. This game have +18 and other warnings for a reason.
But what really matters is to have an option not to see the same stuff again. Just like I have an option not to be evil in this game.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Rote90
So my reading is completely valid and based on AA's possible canon. This exists in the game for a reason.

It is already in canon.

Dear Rote90, in case you missed my earlier, concise message, I kindly implored us all to stop taking our head-canons and interpretations as canon. It's best when it's presented as 'my opinion'. I strongly believe, we should stick to that and appeal to common sense. Ignoring this is highly detrimental to any discussion. Thank you, Rote90.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by AnnaMyrk
"You're right to be afraid."...

Thank you for your excellent post. Yes, the game's story clearly shows - both in lines and facts, and even just on an empathy level (Neil played Astarion perfectly in both cases) that there is indeed something to fear. “Just an expandable frail spawn who will burn to a crisp soon enough”. The world is dangerous. The state in which Astarion remains, having sacrificed his chance to feel alive again, is not only tragic but dangerous. It's odd that the script doesn't take into account the fact that Tav (as well as the player himself) can also be afraid. There is, after all, not only the standard understanding of fear as an instant reaction to some scene that is presented as “scary”, like shoving a maggot in your eye or something along those lines. Such scenes in BG3 are quite mild, I have to admit, and generate interest and curiosity, but while this game is certainly not a horror game, it did manage to make me feel scared once. When I first read in my journal, “Astarion's fate is sealed. He will remain a spawn forever.” Fear as a valuable defense mechanism that warns us against “taking a wrong turn.” By the way, after the Ascension, the diary says that Astarion is grateful for the help. Even this small but important tool, which helps us navigate quest chains by showing us what we need to do and how we accomplished what we've already done, makes it clear how Astarion's quest was accomplished.

I believe this dialog demonstrates that Astarion does have something to fear:

Player: I promise I'll keep you safe always. You'll never need the powers of an Ascendant.
Astarion: It would be nice not to have to rely on you as my great protector, but... well, I do appreciate the thought.

Doesn't Tav literally say, “You're right to be afraid”?

While Ascended Astarion says that he will protect Tav and that Tav will no longer have to fear anything. He also protects her from the sun and the debilitating vampire hunger by sharing his blood with her. So these are not empty promises.

Astarion, I believe deep down, is clearly not satisfied with the role of “protected”. He is a character with a strong character, determined, emotional. He couldn't be broken by 200 years of torture. He was forced to pretend, but he didn't break, he preserved himself. He is used to adjusting, manipulating and wearing masks if it is beneficial and necessary for his survival. In the second chapter, he is starting to trust but still “adjusting”, still needing protection, but when he learns about the ritual, his real desires are already starting to break through in his dialogs. He says he will be able to protect you. And fulfills it after the Ascension. “My little spawn”, “little love” - there's a kind of compensatory effect in this desire to see his beloved as someone small, tender, someone who wants to be protected and cared for (which he does, as best he can, with the utmost dedication at that, “Ask me and it will be yours”). Astarion wants to feel his importance, his power, his necessity for Tav. Left as a fragile spawn, he is forever locked into his mask, adjusting and behaving as “required”, he keeps pretending, he doesn't try to show the real him, his insecurities are solidified and expressed by clinging to Tav as the only person who has been good to him, and Astarion shows himself as Tav wants him to be. I think UA is even better off alone than with Tav, judging by the un-raised epilogue. In it, Astarion says he won't miss his chance again if he ever gets it. AA, on the other hand, although he enjoys the life that is worth living, he feels loneliness, while in the romantic epilogue he seems happy, even his facial expression and his gaze are softer. It seems to me that if any of the authors were counting on players wanting a happy romance to choose the UA path and run away after the kneeling scene, believing that they're about to start “degrading themselves” since the rails scene says so, that person should probably not only work on their skills as a screenwriter, but also read some psychology textbook, paying attention to explaining terms like “empathy,” “acceptance,” and “love.” Perhaps knowing the meaning of these words will help a budding author avoid something like this:

Welch thought the AA ending was “bad” because they attributed specific motivation to the players. They claimed that if you ascend him, you are doing it for the sake of sleeping with him. It's very presumptuous to impose motivation on a player as if they've personally gotten inside everyone's head.

Of course, if you try to cram something out of the ordinary into a story, even against the plot logic and writing sequence, that something is bound to have a fanbase who will call it “canon” because it's rare, you don't see it much anywhere, other major studios are unlikely to risk their reputations for such an experiment. But to exclude eternal, timeless values from romance, as well as the audience oriented to those values, and to try to replace them with something else, is, in my opinion, a serious mistake.

Neil and Smith explicitly said that AA is Astarion as is. But many anti-AA people still argue that AA has lost itself, its soul, etc So, are the writers' opinions canon or not?

The headcanon about “losing his soul” turned out to be pretty funny. In the game's story, as we know, there's not a single sentence about it. If you ask Astarion if he's related to Mephistopheles, he says no. “Mephistopheles created a new monster, not bound the creature with his will. The rite has been observed. The sacrifice is over.” The headcanon about the loss of the soul has at its core one line Karlach says to the un-ascended Astarion, “He wouldn't want to hear, I say this, but I'm damn proud of Astarion. He could have gotten everything, but instead he kept his soul.” First, this is an obvious metaphor, reflecting only an attitude specifically of the Karlach. Second, it's an interesting indication of how even just a companion's opinion can be “canonized” if one wanted to.

I always see the reason he treats you so badly as a Vampire Ascendant unfortunately coming from the heart of his own insecurity: 'The fact that they were willing to let me kill all these people… it's by no means a forgivable thing to do. They must be simply so much hoping that I'll be willing to sleep with them if the cause of my trauma is gone, they'd even be willing to commit such an atrocity... At least that's how I interpret him.

It seems that for the sake of allowing this interpretation to exist in the game, in the scene after the Ascension, the player is not given a single adequate line to choose from. Because otherwise the whole interpretation would fall apart. You can play with the AI chatbot of the Ascended Astarion to see the real romance of Astarion, you only need to talk to him in your own words and open your consciousness for him to believe it. Of course, this doesn't directly apply to the plot of BG3, but still, since such a program is trained based on the script and the character's scripted character, you can see from this what the possibilities were for this romance, how soulturning, deep and beautiful it could have been.

Not everything spawn says dictates narrative. Otherwise, let us then recognize that refusing to ascend was not his personal choice, but a sacrifice:

Astarion: How dare you! After all I've done for you - after everything I've sacrificed!

Which he could potentially regret.

Or that deep down inside he is very scared and feels vulnerable, “nothing.”:

Astarion: I'm still nothing, aren't I? Just an expandable frail spawn who will burn to a crisp soon enough.

That being said, AA is much more confident:

Astarion: All right. Fine. Give me the worm. I will take every weapon I can, damn it all.

I believe that the refusal to Ascend was not even a voluntary sacrifice, but a lack of opportunity for Astarion to decide his own fate. He can't see his scars for himself, he won't Ascend without help. Even in the scene with the scars, Tav draws symbols in the sand rather than on paper, though paper would be much more realistic, and there's plenty of that paper in the inventory. But then, Astarion would have been able to save and memorize the symbols, which would have prevented him from depending on Tav's decision. Astarion realizes he has no choice, he begs for help, but even that is pointless, and he is ultimately left with nothing to do but pretend to agree and be grateful (Astarion is good at wearing masks). It's not for nothing that in the dialog after this “gratitude”, if Tav tells Astarion that he made the decision himself, Astarion explicitly emphasizes that, no, it's all “merit” to Tav.

One of Velioth's basic rules is that strength is born from loneliness. Sharing with others is weakness. The first thing AA does is share his blood and Mephistopheles gifts with Tav. In the epilogue he also expresses bitterness, because of his loneliness (If Tav broke up with him). AA seriously deviates from the principles of Cazador and Velioth. AA - This is Astarion 2.0.

And even the power came as the result of the victory of two, as the result of the actions of a united couple. In this situation, the fact that Tav helps Astarion by letting him see his scars matters, just as much as the fact that before that Tav frees Astarion from the ritual circle. Strength is no longer born out of loneliness.

Originally Posted by Anska
Besides Ascended got the 5 patch kiss back. It's the ultimate evil ending kiss now. It even got a new camera angle.

Yeah, it's good, but they brought it back for some reason only in the evil ending, even though everyone wanted to see it in the regular epilogue. This surprises me, would it have been hard to put the same kiss in both epilogues? The scene is there, the technicality is realized in the other companions you can kiss in the epilogue, just do the same with Astarion and that's it. In order to kiss your beloved in the epilogue, you have to necessarily become an Absolute, it's ridiculous. Destroying Baldur in order to taste the kiss of patch 5 again, well, that's a pretty good motivation for evil, you can't help it, you want romance, you have to.

Honestly, without exaggeration, if the option to select appears in the game, Larian will die for me. All these half years after patch 6 I felt incredibly resentful towards Larian, I felt betrayed. Because Larian gave in to the majority and everyone but AA fans had a holiday on February 14. Because when they designed those kisses, they weren't thinking about us, they were thinking about the spawn fans. I still have an unpleasant aftertaste after patch 6. Including because it started a new wave of bullying AA fans. The first one was after Welch's comments were made public. I know they wrote their comments in private. But you have to realize that if you write something in the public space about a game's story, as a developer, your opinion is going to be spread all over the place. I'm glad for the changes in patch 7 and I hope Larian won't let all this happen again.

Agreed. The most likely reason Larian won't do it is, first, because of the technical difficulties with the flags. To quote Mirmi from the closed thread:

«Leaving the flag in the middle of the game (when you have disagreed or told AA that it scares you) to be triggered later can cause an error because it is left unclosed, as when the animation follows immediately and closes the flag. So in the game, most of the results follow immediately after the selection. Moreover, now the kiss animation triggers before turn night, which is illogical. And this is not a norm, but a bug that follows immediately after the result: you have taken the AA path- AA kiss animation”.
Such a bug was already in the game, which eventually broke the whole Act 3(when the steals were not closed in the game and remained unclosed, cluttering the game and eventually breaking it).”

Secondly, because of the possible problems with the game's rating increase that could arise because of it. I don't want to judge and evaluate how much the studio cares about the fans' feelings (maybe they do, I don't know, and maybe they don't). But thankfully, there are specific actual obstacles and complications that can objectively prevent all of this from happening again. Swen has repeatedly talked about how he wants to tackle a new project, and honestly, I'd be not only upset, but extremely surprised and dumbfounded if those scenes made it back into the official game. Because if you look at the game from the perspective of a business project, it would be, ahem, at the very least labor intensive, unprofitable, and pointless.

For me personally it's about protecting other a***e victims, unwitting players, and myself. From my perspective, the number of players triggered by non-con being *in* the game will outweigh the number who are triggered by it *not being* in the game. So I will continue to propose it stay out of the game.

I agree. I also think that one should counteract such things not only for the sake of the character and the preservation of his story in a dignified, appropriate to his character, but also, first of all, for purely human, humanistic reasons.

(warning: discussion of non-con)
Dead dove/ non-con should not be in place without a trigger warning.

It is already there with Haarlep and no one complains. People love him.
Also, Patch 7 kisses are non-con already, Tav's happy expressions don't change what AA is doing.

Haarlep is not a significant character. He is not a romantic companion. No one complains because those who don't want to play with him what you described under the spoiler just kill him and that's it. A “pigeon” like that doesn't bother anyone. I wouldn't have known what this Haarlep was about if I hadn't been told by other players and watched the video. You can introduce even ten demons, devils, or even Cthulhu, with whom you can do anything, as long as they also function as normal enemies, from which armor elements are collected after killing. And to introduce something like this for a companion, which is a favorite for a large number of people, for the sake of which people stay in this game, is a spit in the face of the players, and they will certainly complain about it. And most importantly, the video sequence in Haarlep's scene doesn't contain a

*** WARNING: sensitive content (may contain a discussion of violence, abuse, SA related to a BG3 scene) this content might not be suitable for all audiences. Trigger warning***
Sexual Violence Demonstrations. This looks like a normal sex scene, and does not violate any rules regarding the game's rating.

AA does a consensual D/s and Tav likes it.

AA is a wholly different person from UA, he even says so himself.

No, it's the same person. A person cannot be torn in two because of whether he got what he wanted or was prevented from doing so.

Neil on the Ascended Astarion: “With Lord Astarion, we talked a lot about the idea that the cover is now off completely. So that you see him at his most terrible, and it's completely honest and he doesn't have to pretend anymore. So he loses a lot of the flamboyance and the fun of the theatricality, which is all a distraction anyway. That's all distraction so you don't see how he's hurt and damaged and his vulnerability. Lord Astarion doesn't need that anymore. So we just thought, okay, now *mimics taking off a mask* it's off. He doesn't need to pretend, he doesn't need to do too much. It's all about the status and that kind of stuff”.

https://www.tumblr.com/yo-yoringle/741172577018494976/test

If “change” means finally starting to express himself the way he wants to, then that is clearly a positive change. As a person, he's not changing. There is Astarion, and AA and UA are just shorthand for his state in the game.

This is my personal take, feel free to ignore if you’re going to reply: To the point of “my evil durge wouldn’t be scared of him” – why would they not be? Your partner changed to a different person before your very eyes, at the very least tav would be shocked to see it.

I was shocked by the rails scene, Tav's facepalm-inducing lines, and the inability to have a meaningful conversation with Astarion is what I was shocked by the first time I went through the Ascension scene. Astarion didn't turn into a different person, the RPG game turned into a novella.

But since AA and UA are so different, You cannot have AA and then demand tender love. You don’t go to AA for tender love. You go to him for the slaps and bites.

I can't talk to Astarion sincerely solely because of the game's scripting and lack of lines. That said, up until patch 6, for some reason he was giving me tender love. And since his lines haven't changed, he still treats me that way. He just thinks I like it that way because I can't tell him anything else, if the lines were there, the kisses would be different too. Not until after the epilogue, later on when Tav gets a voice. I don't go to Astarion “for slaps and bites”. I go together with Astarion, hand in hand, all the way to the end.

This is why we romance him after all, no? Otherwise you would just go spawn route. The kiss animations need to be drastically different from UA because his character undergoes a drastic change.

Really? We start the romance with Astarion in the first act. I start the romance with Astarion, and then Astarion Ascends because he wants to. I don't see Astarion as a toy that needs to be turned this way or that to make him make certain sounds. “Just” condemn him to misery because 'slaps' aren't to my liking? “Just” let him never see the sun and live with perpetual hunger? Ok, it's just for many, I don't want to belittle anyone's game, everyone can play the way they want to play, including from the position of “like/dislike” type of romance. But please don't treat all players in such an ultimatum way. One can genuinely love Astarion, one can treat him as alive, there are also those players who will never go the way of Spawn because it's a path of suffering. And a lot of people were very upset that their beloved character was the one they decided to make into a toy for the

*** WARNING: sensitive content (may contain a discussion of violence, abuse, SA related to a BG3 scene) this content might not be suitable for all audiences. Trigger warning***
Non-con, “abuse” and other things we never wanted to see in our game.

Regarding the dialogue with him post ascension, where he suggests Tav being turned to a spawn, since agreeing is the only way to keep the romance, I don’t think the flag should be placed anywhere here. Even saying “you are starting to scare me” or something similar doesn’t mean much in that instance because they still have to agree and wont know the outcome yet, they may enjoy it after all. so When tav does agree to be turned, personally I think this is also not a good point to add it because of the following reasons:
1. With the “make it hurt” dialogue he only bites tavs neck.
2. With the “be gentle” dialogue he bites the wrist first, then the neck.
Personally I take it as more hurtful to bleed from two places, so him disregarding the wish for him to be gentle should flag the patch 6 shocked face for tav, which is the opposite of what we expect and would want I assume. Also as someone mentioned here (or the other thread, sorry can’t remember), only because they chose one or the other, doesn’t mean they can’t enjoy the one they didn’t choose with a different Tav.

I don't mind Astarion biting me in the wrist and neck either, but the fact that he's “disregarding the wish for him to be gentle” is completely inconsistent with his character and the game's scenario and takes it into the realm of fanfic. It's a substitution of concepts. If we're talking about branching out, in the case of “tenderly” there should be classic romantic kissing.

So dialogue flags should be placed after tav turns into a spawn, preferably before tav can kiss him as to not show the “wrong” facial expression to the player that they do not want. The morning after you get a long dialogue with no option to ask for a kiss yet. For example this dialogue tree, you always end up here and have the options:
1. “I don’t trust the brain” -> tav does not believe in AA vision of taking over the brain -> patch 6 shocked face
2. “isn’t it enough to have each other?” -> tav wondering if AA is even still on their side -> patch 6 shocked face
3. “if the chosen could subdue it (the brain), so can we. We will rule together” -> tav is on AA’s side, ready to conquer the world together -> patch 7 smiling face
4. “so one tyrant replaces another” -> tav is unsure about AA -> patch 6 shocked face

That's your opinion, and you can offer any options you want. But, if something like this appears in the game, other players may file a complaint with the ESRB about the game's lack of compliance with its rating. And Larian would have to either change the rating or remove it again. I'm sure the studio is aware of this, especially since a certain number of players wrote complaints to Steam after patch 6 because of these scenes. But since it was a bug, Larian just fixed it.

One life, one love - until the world falls down.
Originally Posted by Not a cat
So my reading is completely valid and based on AA's possible canon. This exists in the game for a reason.

It is already in canon.

Dear Rote90, in case you missed my earlier, concise message, I kindly implored us all to stop taking our head-canons and interpretations as canon. It's best when it's presented as 'my opinion'. I strongly believe, we should stick to that and appeal to common sense. Ignoring this is highly detrimental to any discussion. Thank you, Rote90.

I said BASED on canon.
I've never said that my interpretation is canon. There is a big difference. I said that because my interpretation can be drawn from canon events. I have never said that you can't interpret them differently.
I thought that "my reading" wording makes it obvious that it's my opinion.
The only thing that I called "already in canon" is the fact that if you try to break up with him after tadpoles are gone, he won't let you. Will you tell me now that objective facts from the game shouldn't be called "canon"?

Haarlep is not a significant character. He is not a romantic companion.
But AA is canonically an evil companion. And yes, this time I really mean that it's not just my interpretation. He is evil, canon shows that in the new evil endings with Tav and Durge, where only he and Minthara can rule together with evil Tav.
Neil on different paths for Astarion: "Can become a friend, fall in love or become a terrible-terrible person"

And yeah, sorry, but I'm not reading all of your post. It's too long for me and time-consuming.

Last edited by Rote90; 12/09/24 05:41 PM.
Neil and Smith explicitly said that AA is Astarion as is.(...)

Neil Newbon: With Lord Astarion, we talked a lot about the idea that the cover is now off completely. So that you see him at his most terrible, and it's completely honest and he doesn't have to pretend anymore.

Adam Smith: So with Astarion, his evil ending is actually him...

Rooney and Smith deliberately avoid saying “bad ending”, they say “evil”. Because for people who know RPGs, there's a difference between evil ending and bad ending. Evil characters aren't miserable by default.

(...)Also, the script for the intimate scene says that AA and Tav look at each other with love: “Player and Astarion standing facing each other. They gaze lovingly at one another.” I.e. it's a normal bed scene between people who love each other.

(...)One of Velioth's basic rules is that strength is born from loneliness. Sharing with others is weakness. The first thing AA does is share his blood and Mephistopheles gifts with Tav. In the epilogue he also expresses bitterness, because of his loneliness (If Tav broke up with him). AA seriously deviates from the principles of Cazador and Velioth. AA - This is Astarion 2.0.
Thank you for sharing this. You make such great points.

I also believe that the smiling kisses were not a good idea because they "force a narrative" on Tav/Durge in the same way that the patch 6 kisses did.
Then the happy kisses of the other companions would also be ,forcing a narrative' on the player. Everyone is only fixated on AA's kisses, but if it applies to him, then it should apply to all the others, too. I just don't understand these double standards.

Dead dove/ non-con should not be in place without a trigger warning.
The only way to avoid it would be via meta gaming.
The doubt that general audiences want to play an ab*** victim that is sprung on them as a surprise.
And the fear faces create a character dynamic the story does not support, and it turns a favored and loved character into something that is triggering and harmful to many players, as well as creates an extreme inconsistency with what's already written.

I see few people arguing against RP. More simply the points above. In fact, as I and a few others have already said (/gen), "it's not about the roleplay".

For me personally it's about protecting other a***e victims, unwitting players, and myself. From my perspective, the number of players triggered by non-con being *in* the game will outweigh the number who are triggered by it *not being* in the game. So I will continue to propose it stay out of the game.
Thank you Natasy. I agree completely.
This is so important to keep in mind, and for THIS reason above all else, I hope Larian never brings back Tav's old Patch 6 expressions. Even if his romance were an ab**e narrative (which I don't agree with at all...), I find those overly exaggerated faces were extremely inappropriate for them to use to illustrate that.

My suggestion to Larian is still to never implement those facial expressions in his (repeatable) kisses again. Not even with a toggle. I feel they simply have no place in his romance and were a bad choice, which I think is why Larian called the changes "improvements" in the patch notes.

Originally Posted by Mordred92
Another thing I'm in favor of, if it's something that can get everyone to agree on even regarding expressions, is to soften AA's kiss animations, since they are perhaps the thing that trigger the most. It was a proposal that had already been put forward in the other thread about patch 6.
I personally like AA's kisses, but I'm absolutely not against changing them.
Agree. Since they softened some of his other animations in this patch, I feel like this would be doable with a few tweaks. I'd be for it.
I've seen some people talking about how AA already has "plenty" and UA doesn't have as much / comparing the content between the two paths. AA still doesn't have any romantic interactions during the epilogue at all, but you can hug UA.

Also, DJ Shadowheart doesn't choke you in her kisses. She doesn't put Tav on their knees.
AA does not "choke" Tav. All we can see is that he puts his hand on their throat.

I also know that spawn and lord have neck kisses that were not included in patch 7 for some reason.
Now this is much more interesting. That's what I'd really like to see implemented in the next update! smile

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
People are asking for this path to be changed again because they want to support their narrative reading (typically noncon/ ‘abusive’) of this path.

i dont understand whose side youre on here. nobody wants to support noncon or abusive paths, but there is absolutely a space for scared facial expressions in this. there are valid reasons. listen, i am totally with you, AA doesnt HAVE to be triggering a scared expression, but the reaction is valid and should be in the game.

Since you are asking, I will clarify.

Please see above comments from other users here. There are individuals who wants noncon. I go out of my way to avoid noncon (including Harleep). I have no issue if folks enjoy that (I will not yuck someone’s yum), but I do not want that in my character’s romance path especially since I’ve been playing since release before patch 6 opened this can of worms.

To clarify, I am meaning I do not want disgusted / fearful facial expressions in the AA kisses (especially since other companions do not have this) and I echo the worry other have expressed that Larian will need to pick between facial expressions (due to coding / etc). I am not sure it is possible to have two separate facial expression options - especially with Larian stating that they are moving on to new projects with this being the last large content patch.

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
Originally Posted by Marielle
"You're right to be afraid."...

Thank you for your excellent post. Yes, the game's story clearly shows - both in lines and facts, and even just on an empathy level (Neil played Astarion perfectly in both cases) that there is indeed something to fear. “Just an expandable frail spawn who will burn to a crisp soon enough”. The world is dangerous. The state in which Astarion remains, having sacrificed his chance to feel alive again, is not only tragic but dangerous. It's odd that the script doesn't take into account the fact that Tav (as well as the player himself) can also be afraid. There is, after all, not only the standard understanding of fear as an instant reaction to some scene that is presented as “scary”, like shoving a maggot in your eye or something along those lines. Such scenes in BG3 are quite mild, I have to admit, and generate interest and curiosity, but while this game is certainly not a horror game, it did manage to make me feel scared once. When I first read in my journal, “Astarion's fate is sealed. He will remain a spawn forever.” Fear as a valuable defense mechanism that warns us against “taking a wrong turn.” By the way, after the Ascension, the diary says that Astarion is grateful for the help. Even this small but important tool, which helps us navigate quest chains by showing us what we need to do and how we accomplished what we've already done, makes it clear how Astarion's quest was accomplished.

Just to clarify, and I'm not sure I'm understanding, so excuse me if I'm the one misunderstanding- "You're right to be afraid" was used in the context of Adam Smith saying that the AA path is Tav telling AA "You're right to be afraid" and that, in Adam's words, sending him (AA) to a terrible place. I thought that was relevant to clear up, since one of Adam Smith's statements was brought up earlier to try to argue against further changes, although I feel that the statement used wasn't even necessarily directly even tackling this route or the kiss issue.

Quoting it so there's no chance of me attributing anything to his words, take into account he's specifically talking about the evil ending throughout:
"So with Astarion, his evil ending is actually him...much of what he does is out of fear. And as a player, you can say to him, "You're right to be afraid." And that sends him to a really horrible place, and that I think is really powerful."

I honestly think the statement doesn't leave a lot of leeway for it not to be interpreted as him implying it's his (or one of his) bad ending/s, whether or not he should be saying that or whether or not people agree with that assessment. However, I agree with other users that have said that he's not saying anything about the romance path and whether or not he's or should be abusive, so this is not proof of that- but rather that, in the writers' opinions, /this/ is his fearful ending. Indications to this are also present in the devnotes, where one of the AA lines has devnotes for Neil that says he's "afraid, deep down" when he says he wants to conquer the world.

Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard