Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17
Originally Posted by Ryzaki
When did I say you should be denied your expressions? Are you mistaking me for someone else?

I'm very much pro the fearful options being an option for those that want them. I don't care if someone wants those faces for their PC that has no effect on my game if it's an *option*.

Yes, I'm sorry. There are so many people in this thread, that it's hard to keep up with "who said what originally".
It's great, I'm glad that we agree on the option to choose.

?
journeyman
journeyman
?
Originally Posted by BlueScaliesxx98
TYou say of patch 6 is bright back you will mourn AA, this is exactly what patch 7 did for us. If you want Tav to be smiling, you only have to choose it. The other expression will not be in your game. But making one OR the other expression canon for everyone is the exact problem we already had with patch 6.

This. The patch 7 expressions were triggering to me and I haven't played AA or the game since. It's not fair that only one side gets to be happy, when I love Astarion and love this game. Giving users a choice would be the perfect solution.
That said I'm fine with optional expressions. I would prefer it be locked to you picking dialogue options that say you're afraid of him or what not. (and it's a one time toggle).
Agreed that a one time toggle makes sense.
Originally Posted by BlueScaliesxx98
Were it anything BDSM related, there would’ve been dialogue about it.
Agreed. BDSM involves clear communication and involves many elements not included in the AA path at all. For example, discussion + agreement of the dynamic beforehand, safe words/color signs, check-ins, aftercare, ability to stop at any time (removed for Tav/Durge in the epilogue). As someone who DOES like BDSM, there is no indication to me that the AA path is meant to represent BDSM. If that's what the developers intended then they have major changes they need to make to the entire route. It is extremely inaccurate and spreads misunderstandings about actual BDSM that can potentially get real people into unsafe situations. My best conclusion is that it ISN'T meant to represent BDSM at all, or else Larian did no research into it. Abdirak is a much better representation of BDSM in the game.

Originally Posted by NikkyKitty
In fact, nothing in the script or in the dev notes disproves the Tav Bride theory. And many of the circumstantial details even confirm it. «By lying to her or bending the truth, he can convince her that she must obey his every order or suffer horrible consequences.With time, and through experimentation, the bride might find out the true level of control her creator has over her - that is, none.» In the finale, Tav may just not know that she can leave and that there is no control. After all, we don't even see him magically forcing her to do anything. And the fact that Tav is free to leave with Karlach and Lae'zel, and again he doesn't force her back in any way, is pretty telling. If Larian wanted to show a cycle of abuse, why didn't they use the techniques I mentioned earlier?

Personally, if this theory WAS true and AA is lying to Tav/Durge to convince them that they must obey his every order or suffer horrible consequences...that is abuse to me. That would be so horrible of him to do. I really don't see how that paints AA in a good light.

Originally Posted by Denis999
I'm just saying that the viewpoint that having an abusive context in an AA affair and the fact that he says abusive things under certain circumstances doesn't make scared faces valid by default. Yes, he may say abusive things and not let Tav leave in the epilogue, but that doesn't mean he's going to physically abuse Tav. It was out of the question before patch 5, it's out of the question in the epilogue. Tav is locked in a golden cage, but no one is torturing her. There are nuances. Astarion is a survivor of sexual assault himself, and the entire AA route covers the topic as respectfully as the Spawn route. They have the same reaction to the brothel, to Haarlep and other such events. AA should not be devoid of undertones and nuance.
I don't understand what is being said here. It's just as bad if AA is
emotionally abusing Tav/Durge. I don't want to get into my life, but emotional abuse can be just as damaging as physical abuse. And personally, I did not consent to being choked/neck grabbed by AA and I don't want to be. So it's already in a gray, not white, area for some players.

Originally Posted by jinetemoranco
I similarly to you think that plot exists and was intended (apologies if I misunderstood you earlier) but I think there are things complicating it. I don't believe it was /that/ badly written or executed (although it isn't extremely explicit or anything, but I can understand why because of the circumstances around the relationship at the time), but something I felt in regards to the Valentine's tweet was that I was getting a whiplash with how they were combining both sexy advertising for it with animations that seemed to be intended to convey a certain non-sexy message.
Agreed. I really did not like how they advertised the V-Day update with these harsh kisses. I'm chalking it up to a disconnect between the marketing team and the game development team.

This thread is moving way too fast to keep up...

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
I'm very much pro the fearful options being an option for those that want them. I don't care if someone wants those faces for their PC that has no effect on my game if it's an *option*.

All we want is the option. Honestly it was a mistake that larian implemented patch 6, totally agree on that. But arguing that patch 6 took away player agency and not acknowledging that patch 7 is doing the exact same thing is very simple.

stranger
stranger
Spawn himself says he "Wanted to be just like Cazador".
He confirmes it himself.
And I have my right to believe him, because nothing indicates he might lie, because he is happy and grateful to Tav in this moment.

It's your right to perceive the plot only through what the spawn says. But he does not have omniscience of the plot and his words are nothing more than spouting morality. Perhaps he wanted to be as powerful a lord as Cazador. You may think that's something terrible, I don't. But that doesn't mean he wanted to be as sick sadistic. Much less does it mean that he actually became that way.

It has eveything to do with kisses, because kisses is a part of romantic relationship. And him refusing to let Tav break up with him is also a part of their relationship.

Just because AA won't let you break up with him doesn't make him a physical abuser by default, when his intimate scene was described quite differently. That's an oversimplified view. You're only trying to tie these things together because you feel like it.

Even without the devnotes, you can't break up with him after tadpoles are gone - this is a fact from the game.

However, in the same epilogue in the same dialogue, it's not about torture, it's about power and pleasure. There is no narrative of torture.

If you consider this as fanservice, then I have my right to consider Patch 7 happy expressions to be fanservice too. Especially because it wasn't like that from the start and Larian's original vision was scary faces.

Larian's original vision is a script that describes everything as voluntary and reciprocal. And it's been there since the game's release.

Last edited by Denis999; 18/09/24 06:29 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
@BlueScaliesxx98

Yeah honestly I enjoyed my AA romance until Patch 6. The forced expressions and the arguments sadly soured me on the relationship quite a bit. It would be nice for the next patch to at least have an option so everyone can play their PCs as *they* want and not a forced storyline.

Last edited by Ryzaki; 18/09/24 06:36 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I would have thought it was very obvious that most people do not want a button to press to relive their real life trauma. Even if it is optional.

stranger
stranger
I simply have no desire to change your mind about something you are so damn convinced of. I know full well how useless these discussions are. Tav actually says abusive things too and their interactions are worth each other. Most of the time AA just reacts symmetrically. I can't influence your perception of the character.
However, he was never someone who physically abuses Tav until patch 6 and to my mind that's an objective fact that's just as validated by the script. In an intimate sense AA treated Tav sensitively and consensually.

Last edited by Denis999; 18/09/24 06:39 PM.
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Girl you legit said he is verbally abusive but that’s not as bad as if he were physically abusive. Nobody is talking about the shit he says when Tav compares him to Cazador, he has a right to be angry in that case. Be shitty, get shitty back. We are talking about his unprovoked aggressions if anything. You can’t seriously stand here and say “he may be saying abusive things but he would never physically abuse Tav” like that’s a legit argument ..

stranger
stranger
emotionally abusing Tav/Durge. I don't want to get into my life, but emotional abuse can be just as damaging as physical abuse. And personally, I did not consent to being choked/neck grabbed by AA and I don't want to be. So it's already in a gray, not white, area for some players.

Once again, I have no desire to discuss emotional abusive behaviour or anything else, and I have no desire to convince you of anything about it, I'm saying it's not in AA's character to grab Tav by the throat just for fun. He only did it if Tav agreed to it. THAT'S THE POINT.

stranger
stranger
I'm just trying to speak to you in your language. Most of what you consider abusive I don't, most of the time I think you are exaggerating. People think it's abusive when he calls Tav a pet. Do I find that offensive? No. You do. I'm not going to change your mind that it isn't.

?
journeyman
journeyman
?

Once again, I have no desire to discuss emotional abusive behaviour or anything else, and I have no desire to convince you of anything about it, I'm saying it's not in AA's character to grab Tav by the throat just for fun. He only did it if Tav agreed to it. THAT'S THE POINT.

But Tav did not agree to it in the game. At no point does AA ask, "is it okay if I suddenly grab you by the throat?" I didn't see that option, or else I would have said no. I'm not saying you can't like it. It's fine if you do. It's also valid that I don't like it.

Last edited by 🌸Yume🌸; 18/09/24 07:14 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by illeaillas-san
But he really isn't ab**e. Astarion just reacts to the player/Tav's actions. Tav is the initiator of the conflict, always, Astarion reacts to it, gets angry, offended, etc. Like any other character. He himself is never the first to harm Tav. By the way, if you take spawn and break up with him, especially at the end, he will behave so viciously with Tav. Does this mean that he is ab**e? I don't think so, just like AA. This is just a reaction to the fact that the person he trusted leaves him, condemns him, etc. These are obvious things. Everything else that Astarion is toxic, for example, is on the conscience of headcanons.

Absolutely agree. Astarion is a very lively and reactive character. And he reacts to words and actions the way a living person reacts. Tav is always the initiator of conflict. The line “You're like Cazador” are words fit for a roleplay of an extremely cruel and emotionless character, those words are aimed at hurting him, nothing more. Astarion - a character with PTSD (PTSD survivors can have very aggressive and even lightning fast reactions to such things, tell a soldier who has experienced torture in captivity that he is just like the one who tortured him and no good will come of it). Astarion was a victim of real terrible violence, he's been a victim for 200 years, I don't think headcanon authors on the topic of “toxicity” or anyone in the real world in general, can fully imagine it. Maybe the game's authors went a bit overboard in describing the suffering in Astarion's story, the psyche can't handle something like that, and a personality that has gone through something like that is unlikely to retain integrity. But Astarion has. And he reacts more than adequately to the cruel, insulting, treacherous words from the one person he, unfortunately, has only just begun to trust.

*** WARNING: sensitive content (may contain a discussion of violence, abuse, SA related to a BG3 scene) this content might not be suitable for all audiences. Trigger warning***
And if Astarion were an abuser, he would have flipped out and shown real violence not in response to a request to kiss him, but in response to those very lines. To think that an “abuser story” is a story about someone who can kiss exclusively by putting his partner on his knees, and needs to have his partner make full horror grimaces and shake like a chicken while doing so, while you can insult him any way you want and he only grumbles, then this “insult story” is critically primitive. Just because Astarion is now forever bound to Tav, and still seems to be emotionally attached to Tav, and “won't let break up” where any self-confident person who thinks he deserves a decent partner would have pointed such a Tav to the door, doesn't make Astarion an abuser. The conversion ritual has no reversal, both characters are then trapped, and so is Astarion. A brutal villain would have killed such a Tav after the adventure was over, simply out of logical calculation and unwillingness to have a traitor behind his back. There would be no epilogue with such a roleplay. Abuser - would have choked and punched properly, in response to the line, “You're like Cazador”. But Astarion's response is anger, hurt and pain, not violence.

Someone's words don't make AA a second Cazador. Spawn and Tav's words say more about their worldview. When Tav is first able to call him Cazador, AA has yet to do anything at all. Karlach says Astarion would have lost his soul. That doesn't mean AA lost his soul. None of the characters have omniscience of the plot. Tav taunts AA, saying that he has no vampiric abilities after the riutal and that he killed all those people for nothing. In the finale, AA summons an undead army for the final battle. Having the dialog option doesn't mean that everything Tav says is true. After all, even the phrase “you became a Cazador” is just moralizing. The developers confirmed that he only became himself. Why take everything so literally?

Words don't do anything at all. Nobody's words do anything. Facts - the only time Astarion hurt Tav was a failed patch 6 fanservice. Karlach and Will, by the way, cannot be called highly intelligent characters. They're both pretty simple and judge solely based on their own ideas of morality. Moralizing is degrading the plot, spoiling the story, and really, as you correctly mentioned before, killing off a complex, interesting, and unique character, and when done in form:

*** WARNING: sensitive content (may contain a discussion of violence, abuse, SA related to a BG3 scene) this content might not be suitable for all audiences. Trigger warning***
Traumatizing content depicting repeated scenes of sexual violence, without warning, not even matching the rating of the game the player bought, is just plain deception and a violation of consumer rights. It's good that Larian fixed this mistake, it's a shame this lingered in the game for a whole 6 months.

The animations were shot separately, and the words “”scared, sad and pained“” that created Tav's facial expressions in patch 6 are part of the game's program code. There is no confirmation that this was the entire studio's idea. Patch 7 fixed this, and most likely led kissing to the content option that was originally intended as fanservice.

That's great for you *I* care about poorly written abuse. Especially when it clearly wasn't done with any type of care.

Ryzaki, thank you for intelligently laying out the problems of the scenario from the perspective of a player familiar with the topic of “toxic romance”. I found it interesting to read your posts and helped me somewhat understand the topic and what, logically, such stories should look like. For my part, I would add that for a roleplaying character who sincerely loves and understands Astarion, for a player who is a fan of classic romance, the game has an extreme minimum of not only appropriate, but at least more or less acceptable lines. But offensive lines and rails trying to turn RPG into a bad novel - from the heart. It's interesting that in the AA romance, Astarion's own replicas are very good, many of them just very much liked by fans (myself included), but the replicas and choices for Tav are a level below nowhere. This is the first time I've encountered a game where you're not thinking “what's the best choice” but “what's not so bad, and at least somewhat acceptable” to choose that, and in some scenes there isn't even an acceptable option. Unless the epilogue has a normal set of lines, and so, the lion's share of the content is Tav provoking a fight with Astarion, and in my game, even though Astarion never once even raised his voice at me, let alone any “insults”, I end up with a rather reduced and sparse content, because a lot of lines for which interactions are prescribed, I just have to ignore. I just don't wish to play a stupid character, why can't normal lines for roleplay be given? But, no for “roleplay richness”, they need to introduce a selector with terrible, and as you rightly point out, “over exaggerated clown expressions”.

One life, one love - until the world falls down.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I am locking this thread now, as it seems to be tempting people on all sides of the debate into rule breaking behaviour.

As a reminder:

- Be respectful towards all forum members.
- Do not use excessive or extreme language.
- Remain constructive and respectful of others' opinions and gameplay styles.
- Remain respectful of game narratives and character preferences.
- Do not use Larian Studios Message Boards' features in a manner that adversely affects the availability of its resources to other users (e.g., excessive shouting [use of all caps] or flooding (continuous posting of repetitive text or topics).

If you find yourself wanting to swear or shout in caps, that's probably an indication you need to disengage.

Some points, in the event that anyone is tempted to start a new thread:
- We are all entitled to our own interpretations of the game, and it's probably better *not* to start off a thread as this one effectively did by saying that other interpretations are less valid.
- On the other hand, we are allowed to think and say that our interpretations are better supported by the evidence in game, as long as that's done constructively and we're not being dismissive or rude about other perspectives and as long as we are happy to have others explain why they think we're wrong. We all need to make sure we're not treating people who argue against our position as attacking us personally, and be willing to have *friendly* disagreements. If you can't disagree in a friendly fashion, then you probably need to take a step back and not get involved.
- But while we are all free to think that our own position is better supported, we need to respect others' rights to their views, and particularly to their preferences, and while friendly disagreement is fine please don't allow that to slide into trying to shout down or drown out opposing views.
- We are never all going to agree, and that is absolutely fine. What isn't fine is going round and round in circles, getting increasingly wound up and annoyed with one another. Not everyone can have the last word, so once you have made your point and find you are repeating yourself, please consider taking the high road and agreeing to disagree.

I will also say to those who prefer the patch 7 kisses that, at least partly due to the behaviour of those who agree with you, every thread criticising the patch 7 animations has ended up locked. That means that I expect you to be welcoming and tolerant of opposing views in other AA threads that are still open, or indeed any new ones that are created.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard