Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I have not finished my very first playthrough yet, but I am very close to the end. I have watched a lot of videos online though about the different endings. Wyll is the only companion whom I really love. I am a man who is quite into an old-fashioned gentleman with a good heart. To me, his story and Karlach's story are both good because they are the only stories where we face options that actually come with a huge sacrifice and struggle (I know Shadowheart has to face such a choice at the very end of one of her paths, but that is at the very end and is not that much of a struggle as what Wyll and Karlach have to face). This is especially true with Wyll since he did not commit any crime either on purpose or forced when the first choice is presented. Being forced to commit a crime can still be seen as a crime unless the person was totally not in control of the body or mind. However, both stories feel like there is something missing. I am not into setting up the two for romance because I love Wyll, and Wyll is mine. Lol. I do not play female characters in any games, and I do not want to miss Theo's beautiful voice when playing as origin Wyll. This post is mainly focused on Wyll, not Karlach, but she cannot be completely avoided.

Ending options:
I know a lot of players praise the ending where Wyll and Karlach and even Tav go to Avernus together while Avernus giving them a "warm" welcome. I actually hate this ending a lot. Yes, we have defeated the Absolute cultist and saved the world, but that does not necessarily mean that the 2 o 3 of us can withstand the entire 9 hells or just Avernus. I don't know how this can logically work out. They may survive for 6 months or slightly longer, but for the rest of their lives? It just does not make any sense even if it is just for a few years. Is Avernus such a lame or a welcoming place? I hope the game will give us an option to just allow Karlach to live with Hope in the new house of Hope after we have killed Raphael and saved Hope. If Hope can stay in Avernus, then I do not see why Karlach cannot. (Really, I have been wondering why we leave Hope there alone.) Wyll is no longer needed in this scenario, and it should make it less painful for us to keep Wyll with different ending options. I really don't like the fact that Wyll and Karlach's stories are so much connected. It feels guilty to kill Karlach or let her die, but at the same time, I love Wyll and want him to finally live a happy life. For anyone who has the ending option to go to Avernus, going to Avernus is always the worst scenario in my opinion. Since when going to hell is a nice or even an Ok thing???

I guess we do not want every companion's story or ending to be too similar or follow the same pattern. However, in a game where you need to choose only one character to romance with in most cases (this is good, not complaining), each one of them should have a better ending. This just does not apply to Karlach. I guess it is Okay to have one character with only sad endings, but then Wyll is kinda dragged into the situation. Yes, I can get him to become a duke living in the city, which is against his nature btw, but then I will end up in the loop of asking "what about Karlach?"

Romance:
Wyll's romance is not bad at all. I enjoy the slow but romantic process. The dancing scene is beautiful. I kinda hope that scene can last a bit longer. Lol. Some people may hate it though. What I want to say here is that being helplessly romantic does not mean no sex scene at all. Lol. Shouldn't the patient players be rewarded at the end? Give us a wedding scene and a sexy night afterwards. Wyll has significantly less content than other companions do. Make it up at the end. It won't break the character. The proposal scene in Act 3 feels weird to me because it switches back to the camp too soon.... It feels like nothing really happened except some kisses after they get down to their knees. Make it slightly longer after everything goes dark and let there be some noise. Lol. Alternatively, the camera can slowly move to a direction where we cannot see Tav and Wyll but the beautiful night, and then let it stay there for just a few seconds before everything goes dark. We can watch the tree or the stars while our imagination goes wild. Lol

If Wyll's father is dead under any circumstances, Wyll will break up with the player's character. This only makes sense if his father is killed by Mizora during the rescue mission. If Duke Ravengard is killed under other circumstances, this should not trigger because it does not make any logical sense when Wyll says that pulling him closer will get the player's character hurt. For example, if the party decides to work with Gortash and eventually let the brain kill Gortash (Duke Ravengard will die in this case, I believe), this breakup should not trigger. It would make no sense if it still triggers. Also, give us the option to be able to save the relationship either at the scene or during the party in 6 months after things have cooled down.

If Tav turned into a mindflayer and wants to commit suicide at the end of the game, the love should do something or at least have a stronger reaction. This is missing currently in the game, and it feels so wrong. This is not an issue unique to Wyll, I believe, but it feels even more wrong when he is the love. Romanced companions who should definitely try to stop Tav during the scene if they are in the party: Wyll regardless of status of companion questline, Shadowheart if she is no longer on the path of darkness and loss, Gale (you convinced me that I should live, and now you want to kill yourself?), Karlach(fine, soilder! I really did not plan to go back to Avernus, but how about you spare yourself and come with me, or you'd rather we both die here?), Minthara(what are you doing, my beautiful and sexy maniac!), and Halsin.
Suggestions:
During this scene, once Wyll realizes what Tav is about to do, he hugs Tav from behind putting both his hands/arms between the dagger and Tav's body.
Wyll: "We are not done writing our story yet. We just barely started. You can't quit now! I know exactly what is on your mind. I can assure you that we will face whatever comes next together, and we WILL make it work! Our story does not need to end now! Please! If you must do this, then let your blade pierce through my heart as well!"
Tav: (I use Tav here, but these can apply to Dark Urge as well)
O1. You can almost feel Wyll's heartbeat. Something starts to melt deep inside you because of the warmth coming from Wyll's body, or perhaps from his love. Your hands can no longer hold the dagger, so it drops to the ground.
O2. "I am sorry, my love. My existence will pose a huge danger to others and to you. I can't let that happen."
If O1 is chosen, Tav will turn around and hug Wyll with the following options:
1. "I am so sorry. I never wanted to leave you."
2. "Your love gives me strength. I am lucky to have you."
3. Say nothing. Just hold Wyll tight.
No matter which option is selected, Wyll looks at Tav with a warm and loving smile without saying anything. Narrator: "If there is anything that can get rid of the worries and concerns in your mind while giving you courage, it must be the love from Wyll." Other companions will feel released. The game continues to the next event or scene.
If O2 is chosen, Wyll: "We will find out a way. I already have a plan. We can discuss about it later. We just saved the Sword Coast from the biggest threat that it has ever seen. Together, we are strong, and we can overcome anything."
Tav:
1. (Strength Check) Try to get out of Wyll's arms and push him away. You must finish yourself. This is the only right way to go. (Skill enhancement from other companions cannot be used here. If rolled higher than Wyll's strength, Tav pushes Wyll away, and the suicide is done. Wyll kneels down near Tav's dead body. Narrator: "Wyll is so sad that you are gone, and that he was not strong enough to stop you." If failed the check, Tav has no choice but to drop the dagger.)
2. Use your illithid power to teleport out of Wyll's arms and tell him to live a happy life and that he deserves someone better. (if selected, Tav teleports away from Wyll but only by a short distance, and then the suicide is done. Wyll kneels down near Tav's dead body. Narrator: "Wyll's heart is filled with great sadness that is beyond description. He is trying all he can to hold his tears." Wyll: "You are such a fool! How can I be happy when you are gone? There is no one better than you!")
3. Ignore Wyll. Push the blade into your body. The dagger is not long enough to hurt Wyll. Others will help Wyll even if he gets injured. (The suicide will be successful. Wyll tries to hold and stop the sharp blade with his bare hands, but he failed. Wyll then kneels down near Tav's dead body while his hands are bleeding. Narrator: "Wyll is so sad that you are gone, and that he was not strong enough to stop you.")
If Tav tried to commit suicide but is saved, Duke Wyll will still tell Tav later that he wants Tav to stay in the undercity to be safe, but he will always try to be with Tav at night as long as he is in the city while Blade Wyll will try to spend time with Tav in undercity for as long and frequently as possible. If there was no suicide attempt, the epilogue remains the same with what it is currently in the game.
I guess Karlach's scene will always trigger before illithid Tav's suicide scene. If Wyll left with Karlach, then he is not there to stop the suicide.

My hope is not very high given that Larian is moving away. I guess I can always run these scenarios through my own head and pretend that everything went my way. Lol

veteran
veteran
I totally agree and made a thread in the Suggestions sub forum:

Wyll

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
The link doesn't open for some reason.

apprentice
Online Content
apprentice
Honestly I just really wanted a on screen resolution with Wyll killing/driving off Mizora frankly. Wyll being the main companion not able to tell his abuser to screw off and instead has to have her hovering over him at camp is crazy.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by BennettML
The link doesn't open for some reason.

I saw, you found the thread. Sorry, it didn't work smile

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ryzaki
Honestly I just really wanted a on screen resolution with Wyll killing/driving off Mizora frankly. Wyll being the main companion not able to tell his abuser to screw off and instead has to have her hovering over him at camp is crazy.

My thought was, that there maybe was an Avernus addon planned and it sadly was scratched- It would have been cool to go to AVernus with Wyll, Karlach, maybe a love inetrest and kick Mizoras ass.

Doctor Who
apprentice
Online Content
apprentice
Originally Posted by fylimar

My thought was, that there maybe was an Avernus addon planned and it sadly was scratched- It would have been cool to go to AVernus with Wyll, Karlach, maybe a love inetrest and kick Mizoras ass.

Maybe but that doesn't help him now frown

Even in the epilogue he's only tracking her down they could at least change it so he's killed her off screen. Give me some catharsis damn.

veteran
veteran

Even in the epilogue he's only tracking her down they could at least change it so he's killed her off screen. Give me some catharsis damn.

Yeah, Wyll got the short end of content from all the origin companions. I really wish, he would get a bit more meat to his story.

Doctor Who
apprentice
apprentice

I hate Mizora so much, so I agree I wish they had an option in the epilogue of him telling us that he killed her off screen.

Wyll is such a cutie pie it's a real shame his content is so lacking. It also doesn't help that his greetings are currently bugged so I don't even want to talk to the poor guy because he's being mean to me lmfao. I'm like what did I do to you?? :'(

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by jessiemeows

I hate Mizora so much, so I agree I wish they had an option in the epilogue of him telling us that he killed her off screen.

Wyll is such a cutie pie it's a real shame his content is so lacking. It also doesn't help that his greetings are currently bugged so I don't even want to talk to the poor guy because he's being mean to me lmfao. I'm like what did I do to you?? :'(

Yeah, the poor guy really needs a bit more attention. I hope, the bugged greetings get fixed and maybe with a last pacth, he gets a bit more love. I think, Theo Solomon is such a talented voice actor and he should have the opportunity to do a bit more.
I mean all VAs are talented, but Wyll is the only one, who doesn't get a very emotional scene.

Doctor Who
apprentice
Online Content
apprentice
Yeah, Wyll got the short end of content from all the origin companions. I really wish, he would get a bit more meat to his story.

Agreed!
Originally Posted by jessiemeows

Seriously I'm kind of over it at this point. Every patch Wyll is just a goddamn mess. Larian needs to stop adding shit til they stomp out most of the bugs. It's ridiculous at this point.

Yeah, the poor guy really needs a bit more attention. I hope, the bugged greetings get fixed and maybe with a last pacth, he gets a bit more love. I think, Theo Solomon is such a talented voice actor and he should have the opportunity to do a bit more.
I mean all VAs are talented, but Wyll is the only one, who doesn't get a very emotional scene.

The part that annoys me is *EA Wyll* had the emotional scene. Like they could've *easily* reused EA Wyll's romance scene in act 2. Wyll having Mizora screaming at him to save her through his eye and needing the player's comfort to deal with it is beautiful and should've remained in the game. I'm still pissed it was removed.

A
old hand
old hand
A
The part that annoys me is *EA Wyll* had the emotional scene. Like they could've *easily* reused EA Wyll's romance scene in act 2. Wyll having Mizora screaming at him to save her through his eye and needing the player's comfort to deal with it is beautiful and should've remained in the game. I'm still pissed it was removed.

That sounds interesting.

What bugs me most about the game's end, as someone who is not interested in Wyll's romance, is how much he is degraded the Karlach's appendage in the situation. He did her a huge favour to put it mildly and in accordance with their history, he should be shown as her partner in the Avernus cinematic not as a silent demon-hunter-rookie. It's also not great that he stops telling you stories about his adventures when he is adventuring with Karlach. Of course to big discovery is her's to tell, but it wouldn't have hurt to have him tell you a story about their adventures together. Of course, I haven't checked in on a save in which both of them went to Avernus together, so maybe I am complaining about things that since have been fixed.

apprentice
Online Content
apprentice
Originally Posted by Anska
That sounds interesting.

What bugs me most about the game's end, as someone who is not interested in Wyll's romance, is how much he is degraded the Karlach's appendage in the situation. He did her a huge favour to put it mildly and in accordance with their history, he should be shown as her partner in the Avernus cinematic not as a silent demon-hunter-rookie. It's also not great that he stops telling you stories about his adventures when he is adventuring with Karlach. Of course to big discovery is her's to tell, but it wouldn't have hurt to have him tell you a story about their adventures together. Of course, I haven't checked in on a save in which both of them went to Avernus together, so maybe I am complaining about things that since have been fixed.

Yep it obviously would've needed light tweaks (like the removal of the sex scene version of the scene but the cuddling version was superior imo anyway so no loss) but it drives me insane that was not kept.

I'm be honest I'm at the point where I kill Karlach off because of that. Like sorry Karlach it's not your fault Wyll's ending is reduced to being your backpack but yeah.

I hope it's been fixed Wyll deserves to shine on his own.

(Also me complaining yet again about Wyll's "make you a dinner scene" being a fade to black. Like come on now. He only has 2 romance scenes. It wouldn't have killed them to give him a third whether reusing the EA one or making the dinner scene an actual scene).

Last edited by Ryzaki; 18/09/24 08:57 PM.
A
old hand
old hand
A
Yeah, I have also left her behind because of how she derails the story, there's the whole thing with Wyll, and personally I also didn't love how the player dialogue during her big scene was not in any way adapted for Avatar-Astarion or Gale - you'd think both of them would have some better lines than the standard Tav ones.

From the way Wyll talks about it, I had assumed he would make dinner for the whole gang - and that would have been such a nice chance for a proper group scene with all the tadfools, possibly making use of the cozy sitting-area in the Elfsong.

apprentice
Online Content
apprentice
I wonder if the dialogue there changes if you're madness cursed Durge because if it doesn't big oof.

Honestly it being a romance scene I figured it was a cute romantic dinner. Maybe they could've had him invite his dad and tell him you're getting engaged or something. That at least would've been *something* (and also would've killed another issue I have because wtf does Uldar have zero reaction to PC being Wyll's fiance. Especially if Wyll's on the duke route like ????)

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I think Wyll's story suffered mainly because of the time limit on rewrite. I really like the rewrite. I don't find Wyll boring or less interesting as perhaps most other players claim. I love Wyll way more than how much I like other companions. No one else in this game faces multiple tough choices that require major sacrifice. However, with that said, the market keeps demanding even more stuff for Astarion. I sense where Larian will go if they will still update this game after saying goodbye to D&D. Sad!

Astarion basically knows that he hates Cazador and wants to kill him or replace him since the beginning. The toughest choices that he faces is whether he gets to live under the sun after all. It is not too much of a struggle, at least to me, given that he was responsible for luring so many people to Cazador. I do not remember the game telling me that he was in zambie mode back then, so he is responsible. Living with, organizing, or even protecting those poor spawns in Underdark should be his minimum responsibility. Becoming the monster that you want to kill is not a good path to go, so the struggle isn't that much.
Shadowheart has one tough choice at the very end of her story, which is about her parents. I was so surprised that she chooses to save herself and let her parents die when I let her make her own choice. I don't know how much Shar has been hurting her with that wound on her hand, but I would always save my parents if I were put in that same situation. Before this, her story line is very straigtforward. Reviewing the truth about yourself and abandon the lie that Shar wants you to live in is not a tough choice that requires sacrifice or compromise.
Gale's crazy love story is very chaotic to me. He has a very likable personality, but his ex and ex-relationship keep me away from romancing him. He makes a very good friend though. Choosing not to blow up is not a tough choice to me because 1. due to the nature of the game, there is no way this is the way to go when we have a MC with a party to try to solve the crisis, and 2. it will kill anyone within a large range from him, and we know that is crazy enough to say no to.
Lae'Zel has a similar story with that of Shadowheart's. It is about finding the truth and break the lie again. The game provides multiple clues and more than enough info to tell you that Vlaakith is really evil. So speaking of making the right choice, it is quite easy and intuitive.
Karlach has a very sad story. She has no good endings, and it feels like she holds Wyll's collar and drags him wherever she goes. Going places to try to fix her engine is not a sacrifice or tough choice. That is just something you do for a good friend. The tough choice comes at the very end. The ridiculous part is that the sacrifice is in fact not her sacrifice but Wyll's, for the 2nd time. Some may argue that you would be choosing normal life in the city vs going back to hell. No, no, no! She would die if she does not go, so it is really death vs going to hell. Intuition tells you that going to hell is the better option, and at the cost of Wyll's opportunity to live a better life, and maybe Tav's as well if Tav and Wyll are in love such as in my playthrough. Lol. Karlack is cool, a very likable person, but oh please, Wyll needs a break. I know Karlach is a victim, someone forced to fight for the devils. I just want to put it out there that if you can put your hands on a weapon, then you always have the choice to say no to getting innocent people's blood on your hands. It is not great or joyful, but it is an option available sooner than you may imagine.

Now let's look at Wyll. The first tough choice is between your own destiny (on first play through without extra info or spoiler, so you do not know what happens next when you save Karlach instead of killing her) and the life of an innocent person who can also potentially become an ally. We learn later that Wyll got punished by being transformed into a devil. I see so many online comments saying that this is not a big deal at all. Just some horns, big deal! Nope. You missed it if you believe so. Wyll loses one thing that we all hold very dear to, identity! I must say, however, the red eye is really cute on his face. The horns are ok. They got me wonder if he can turn when he is sleeping... Lol. In addition to the identity loss, he now looks like the monsters that he has been telling people that he is after. The 2nd struggle or choices involve him and Mizora. I really hoped I could kill Mizora using that mindflayer pod, but hey that's going to kill Wyll as well basically, so you cannot. Ta-Ta! Well, I guess this is only a struggle if you really hate Mizora. Lastly, you have to choose between Wyll's freedom and his father's life. Unless you are cheating by learning extra info, Mizora's dirty trick will likely work, and Wyll will lose his freedom, again. Grand Duke Ravengard should throw a deeply emotional hug at Wyll once we save him and after he learns the truth. A kiss on his son's forehead or face is also due. Oh, I know father & son relationship normally does not go that way, which is exactly why we need it here. All the up and down feelings throughout his story tells me that this is actually good writing, which makes it a crime for not having equal or not more amount of content comparing to other companions. Wyll's story is the only one in this entire game that makes me feel like my soul got pulled out of me and then squeezed and twisted by force. A kudo to the writer, but please give us more.

I really hate Mizora, and I have seen videos online showing that players can romance Mizora with Origin Wyll. Oh my days! By the gods, how could you? The fact that Mizora is in control during the whole thing along with the pact makes Wyll a complete "toy". On the other hands, players like me are starving for more intimate and tender scenes with Wyll. Unfair! Lol. I do find seeing Mizora staying in my camp annoying. I shoot her an arrow every now and then even though it does nothing. She needs to pay!

A
old hand
old hand
A
Oh, I think we might talk about different dinner scenes. I thought about the one in which he asks you to fetch the venison after deciding on a future for himself. He talks about taking over as camp cook for night and make a special roast. It sounded like a fun evening for the whole gang and it would have been cute to see it.

apprentice
Online Content
apprentice
Originally Posted by Anska
Oh, I think we might talk about different dinner scenes. I thought about the one in which he asks you to fetch the venison after deciding on a future for himself. He talks about taking over as camp cook for night and make a special roast. It sounded like a fun evening for the whole gang and it would have been cute to see it.

Oh no I think we're talking about the same one XD I just got my wires crossed because I was thinking of romance content sorry!

O
stranger
stranger
O
Things Wyll deserves:

1. More reactivity from companions (they say nothing when it's revealed that Ulder is his father, for example)

2. Dialogue option where the player can choose to not be a jerk to him (see the "be nice to Wyll" mod on nexus for elaboration)

3. Literally any emotional catharsis in act 3 (be it in relation to his dad, Mizora, etc.)

4. A Mizora boss battle (She could have been a legit threat to Ulder's life in the Iron Throne fight, but nope, she threw spiders at him and called it a day. womp womp.)

5. An actual romance scene in act 1.

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B

Where can I see this? Are there videos online showing that scene? I only saw the EA Act 1 romance scene, I think. I do not like the EA Wyll's story. I prefer the official one, but the soft side of a man is rare and beautiful. I like the idea of properly exploring Wyll's soft side. That'll make it a beautiful story.

Honestly it being a romance scene I figured it was a cute romantic dinner. Maybe they could've had him invite his dad and tell him you're getting engaged or something. That at least would've been *something* (and also would've killed another issue I have because wtf does Uldar have zero reaction to PC being Wyll's fiance. Especially if Wyll's on the duke route like ????)

He never tells his father about the engagement, I think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard