Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
old hand
old hand
A
Painting the bomb ending as a good, desirable ending, especially if it was focused on redemption and forgiveness, would be such a horrible twisting of Gale's story. Maybe in the context of legends it makes sense, but in a story that deals more with real human emotions than with abstract symbolism, and especially in a story that deals with self-worth issues, I think it would have been absolutely horrible.

veteran
veteran
smile

We've had this discussion before I thoroughly enjoyed it. But I think Mystra should have / would have returned Gale-Bomb Gale to life just as the Green Knight declined to take Gawain's neck.

At this moment Gale redeems himself, he self actualizes, he conquers his shadow. He has defeated his fundamental flaw - his Hubris. He acknowledges that his hubris brought him to this place - not the evil doings of his crazy ex. And he is prepared to make amends, he put the world in danger and his sacrifice can fix it. He can save Faerun and all of magic with a snap of his fingers. And does just that. All hail Gale, hero of Baldur's Gate

Last edited by KillerRabbit; 14/09/24 08:57 PM.
A
old hand
old hand
A
Yes we had and I was very glad to see your name pop up again too. =)

Making Gale a hero, is kind of devaluating his whole story. Gale's belief that he needs to do that one big thing to change the world for the better, is what drives him to either offer himself up as a heroic sacrifice or to go for the Crown. But this belief is ultimately fuelled by his critically low self-esteem, which is his worst flaw, his opinion that he as a person cannot to anything to change for the better and he needs some kind of power to be worthy (even if it's just the explosive power of the orb.) So both his God and his Bomb endings cannot be good ones. In his human endings he deliberately steps out of the limelight and takes a stance that he is still brilliant, but does not need the public acclaim. He is just doing his thing to help, enjoying it and that's enough, be it as a teacher, or an adventurer, raiding through the hells, or building a community for a bunch of vampires. I think that is ultimately an awesome message.

Coming back to the original idea of the thread, I think what is most "problematic" about the current good ending, is that it contradicts the general moral of the narrative. In all the endings "ascension" isn't a good thing, instead trusting in your friends and drawing from the power of your group is generally framed as desirable. Lae'zel has a bunch of dialogue about it. So that it is weird when in the end, some form of ascension is necessary after all, and some big sacrifice outweighs the power of the group.

I do like Orpheus to take the fall for several reasons but one high up on the list is that he too does not believe himself to be so special. When Lae'zel is desperate that without him there can't be a revolution, he tells her that she and the other githyanki can do just as well without him. This brings the idea of finding strength in yourself and your friends back into the story again.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Gale's ending could be better if it were rewritten to be consistent with FR lore. It would be the good aligned choice if we saw Gale get a Gawain and the Green Knight like moment where he sacrifices himself and we all get a scene where Mystra tells Gale he has redeemed himself that would nice. And Mystra would be acting like the Mystra of the forgotten realms novels, not like one of the gods from DOS2

Warning - discussion of depression, etc.
For that to be satisfying, they would also have to rewrite Gale a bit, so that his story doesn't seem like that of someone struggling with depression and suicidal ideation. He socially isolates himself after he gets the orb. There's explicit possible dialogue at the circus where we find out he thinks that he, and the world, might be better off if he were dead.

If the player picks the dialogue that pushes him away from suicide in his stargazing scene, his dialogue the next day sounds like someone who was contemplating suicide (for non-wold saving reasons). The non-romantic version is:

"I wanted to... to thank you. I was sinking into a dark place, but you reminded me there is still light in the world, if I should care to look for it. You... you may well have prevented me from doing something very rash in the near future. I count myself lucky to call you a friend."

Even if he isn't literally depressed in universe (I personally think he is), his story invokes the idea and feelings of depression and suicidality. In light of that, I think having the main "good" ending being a depressed man deciding that suicide was the answer would be icky.

@KillerRabbit, you seem more familiar with Forgotten Realms lore than I am. Do most of the people on the Sword Coast understand the role the Gith play in preventing the reformation of the mindflayer empire? If not, that opens up a lot of roleplay options. I could imagine a barbarian having no concept of multiverse politics. For my own games, I tend to play my characters as hoping that an Orpheus who sacrifices himself for his people will serve as a potent symbol for the rebels, and they hope that will help balance out the loss of his powers.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Anska
Yes we had and I was very glad to see your name pop up again too. =)

Likewise!

I guess we see him overcoming different flaws. You are right to say that it a theme of his romance to come to accept that he can be valued for what he is, not for what aims to be or what he pretends to be. And we both agree that Gale-god is a "failure" ending, one where Gale is consumed by his ambition.

Let me add another text to the one's we've discussed already.

This interpretation is on my mind because I recently watched the truly terrible Sci Fi adaptation of the Wizard of Earthsea (don't! it's sooo bad! but do read the books if you haven't) and have been realizing how many parallels there are between Ged, Wizard of Earthsea and Gale, Wizard of Waterdeep.

Like Ged, Gale was progidy, a golden child. When Ged went to university he learned the secret names at an astonishingly fast rate, his memory was far superior to other students. And, of course, this earned him the enmity of his peers. And yet Ged felt inferior to them because he came from a poor village and because he had been trained by a woman. (Earthsea being a patriarchal culture where women's magic was thought to be wicked and weak) Goaded on by a playground duel Ged sought to prove his superiority to the other students. Like Gale, Ged found a book of forbidden secrets that contained a spell that he was warned was far above his ability to cast. But Ged was the star student, the valedictorian, perhaps even the chosen one - no spell was above his abilities! Suffused with Hubris he cast the spell, and successfully summoned a dead spirit. Only to be attacked by a shadow. His shadow. A being that nearly killed him and that destroyed much of his magical acumen. The shadow stole many of Ged's skills, he learned at a far slower rate and had to quietly depart the college as a C student, not the valedictorian.

He is hounded by his shadow for years and he tries to face it, unsuccessfully, a number to times. Until he finally realizes that he can no longer run from it. He will come to terms with it even if doing so kills him.

For me the bomb moment parallels the moment when Ged turns to face his shadow. He looks his failures in the face and no longer seeks to blame his misfortunes on his ex. With both characters it's hard to say where the feelings of inferiority end and feelings of superiority begin, they are twin traits that eat each other's tails and feed on the other. BUT for all the good things about the Gale romance he still pins his failures on Mystra and not himself. Don't ask him about Mystra! You won't like the answer. In the romance has wrestled with his shadow but not yet defeated it.

Gale only defeats his shadow when he offers to detonate. He has learned to care something other than his personal ambition. This, IMO, is best ending of romance because there is no greater love. His act not only saves his friends but destroys the object that could have made him a god. Love achieved, Hubris destroyed. Success.

Last edited by KillerRabbit; 14/09/24 10:05 PM.
veteran
veteran
i have never done the quote /unquote "good" ending because i get bored of those runs and normally just let my wizard pop or delete the save at sorcerous sundries

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
A
old hand
old hand
A
@KillerRabbit, firstly I do have to ask where you take it from that Mystra is painted as a crazy ex and especially that she is made out to be one by Gale himself. I have read this assumption in many fan theories, but not from Gale himself. I admit, that I only went through his dialogue with a lawful/good "such ambition is horrible" angle once, so I am not sure if it changes anything. In my experiences with his dialogue, he is even protective of Mystra and stands up for her when you make snide remarks about her in Act 3 and he isn't on the war path. The most negative thing I recall ist that he feels a little salty that she asked him to die, which I cannot fault him for.

For me the hubris reading - also in connection to the story you related - misses the plot twist in Act 3. Hear me out:

Gale is a wizard, he gets his power from study and using his intellect to solve problems. While he is generally very cordial to clerics and bards, he's competitive with other wizards and somewhat dismissive of sorcerers who just got talent. He also points out how important study is at every opportunity, a lot of his banter resolves around this, especially with Lae'zel who seems to be a fellow nerd.

So, during the first act of Gale's folly, when his girlfriend shows him what magic is possible and beyond his reach, he gets a spot of imposter syndrome and, instead of being inspired to study harder, asks her for a leg up. She says no, he pleads and pouts (framed as the wrong thing to do by Gale himself) and eventually sets out to get her a very over the top present, a lost part of herself. This of course backfires and in Act 1 Gale believes that he was punished for trying to push to hard. This differs from the story you told about Ged, because Gale never tried to get himself a powerful spell from a forbidden book, he tried to get a present for Mystra to sort of guilt-trip her into letting him in on some of her secrets. His assumption that he got punished for his transgression is also wrong. It does show that he only blames himself for everything though, leading to depression as @SteelTempest pointed out above.

In act 3 Gale learns that the orb was something completely different from what he thought it was and that Mystra did not punish him at all. She just severed their connection, because he suddenly became very dangerous to her and - this is my interpretation - she didn't quite know what his intentions towards her were. I say this because she instantly reaches out to Gale if he shows good will in the Shadow-cursed Land, and her dialogue during the audience to me also sounds like she trying to suss out where he's standing. After the audience, Gale is furious with himself that he made such a rookie mistake and - at least on the forgiveness route - is mostly furious with himself for having been so stupid. Gale's "facing his shadow" moment is meeting Mystra because really everything hinges on this conversation. If he tries to ascend without having spoken to her, he will explode because he wasn't "armed with the truth".

The irony is, that in his desire to become an even more powerful wizard, he ignored what makes a good wizard in the first place: Research and study, two things he holds dear. The moral of the tale isn't that power or even ambition is bad, but that throwing your ideals in the wind to get somewhere quickly leads to ruin - even God-Gale needs to have learned this lesson in order to succeed.

In regard to your last paragraph and again with what @SteelTempest wrote in mind, I don't like to think of love as one-way-street. Yes, Gale offers to sacrifice himself so neither his lover, his friends nor the world come to harm, but his desire to do so is very much fuelled by his low opinion of himself. I am not sure if you ever got the conversation with him at the brainstem, during which he tries to persuade you into letting him explode, but he is clearly not in a good head-space during it. So, while this conversation is painful, I love that it indirectly forces you to tell Gale that he quite literally means the world to you because you'd rather risk everything than loose him.

While Gale's "the exploration and acceptance of the self and the other" from Act 2 mostly means sex in the context he gives it in, I really like it as a general cornerstone for love - or any form of relationship really.

Last edited by Anska; 15/09/24 11:41 AM.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Gale certainly has dialogue where he expresses bitterness towards all the Gods. He also has dialogue available after his act 2 romance scene where he says he doesn't think he mattered much to Mystra: "I was not the first wizard to fall under her spell, nor will I be the last. I was an amusement to her, a mortal to be trifled with, amused, and eventually discarded." His next line is him acknowledging that he hurt her and saying he regrets it, so I don't think that interaction counts as him calling her a "crazy ex."

Upon further reflection, I have come up with further additional difficulties for a Gale sacrifice to be a satisfying good ending. The "man sacrifices himself to find redemption" thing is not unique. I've seen complaints that it's a trope. I'm not saying it can't be done well, it can, but there's competition. Of the top of my head, I can think of
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Return of the Jedi.
It would have to be written very well to compare favourably.

KillerRabbit has already pointed out the other big problem. In that situation, the story stops being about the player character and focuses on Gale.

I also remembered that Gale has an "eager to die" flag, so we can add that on to my list for proof of depression. I do think that interpreting Gale as depressed helps make his human endings more satisfying. Not chasing external validation anymore is great, and recovering from depression on top of that is lovely.

veteran
veteran
Thanks for @SteelTempest! That is the line I was thinking of. I waited until after the tabernacle before choosing that option wondering if it would be different if I asked then and was disappointed that it was not. The voice actor does deliver it with certain fervor . . .

So as it stands Gale is still thinking that Mystra used him as a plaything even after learning the truth. And this one of the many flaws with Act 3. The Larian authors were still using the DOS2 template when thinking of the gods - and that framework constructs gods as parasites that treat their followers as toys to be discarded when broken. But the gods of Faerun aren't like the gods of Rivellon . . .

As far as tropes, I think you are right. I think the UR template - one behind both of your examples - is a xtian one. A hero is a martyr, someone capable of infinite love because there is no greater love than self sacrifice. Indeed if we ask why we can't raise Gale after he dies you would do better to examine the template than to dive into FR lore. True Resurrection only requires a name it doesn't even require a body. (and a description will substitute for a name)

@Anska On the Hubris reading

I think we've hit a keystone if not *the* keystone of our different readings. I don't believe Gale when he says he went to get Mystra a present, I think he's lying to himself.

Borrowing some relationship dynamics from my family for a silly example. Dad - really likes fishing / Mom - really likes books and reading.

Dad: "So I went to the new bait and tackle shop because I heard that your mom's favorite author likes to hang out there - an autograph would have been the best present ever! Unfortunately the author was a no show. But the trip wasn't wasted, I did get this new fishing rod"

KillerRabbit (internally): Sure dad you went to the bait and tackle shop to get a present for mom

Gale: "I know, I'll get Mystra the best present ever in a manipulative grand romantic gesture. Who knows, perhaps such an effort would persuade her to relent and show me what she is hiding. And if I happen to see some arcane secrets that Mystra hadn't managed to hide away that wouldn't the worst outcome would it? But that's not why I'm doing it! Nope, I'm not trying to manipulate her and/or find a way to uncover some secrets. This is an innocent romantic gesture like . . . like . . . proposing to someone in the middle of a sports stadium!

. . .

I think Gale went in search of arcane knowledge. The gift would either persuaded Mystra to reveal her secrets or the book itself would include some of Mystryl's secrets that she hadn't secured.

While I like the "needed to return to research and study" interpretation I think he did intend to do what an adventuring researcher does - look for knowledge in a dungeon and study it. Making his failure one based in hubris and not in failure to remember what makes a wizard a wizard.

Because my Tav was multiclassed as Cleric of Mystra / Wizard I got to see both conversational options when finding Karsus' book. From memory the wizard option was something like "you need to uncover these secrets that's what wizards do" and the cleric options were something along the lines of "you are contemplating a blasphemous act, put it out of you mind immediately"

So in Larian's view a proper wizard should seek to defy the gods and becoming their equal. Perhaps you are smarter than Karus, Gale? (and I sooo hate that they changed the ending to make this work in a way players could feel good about)

@Ussnorway I would like to see Larian numbers on this. How many people get to act 3, complete the companion stories and then just quit or start another game?

So I do think that Mystra announcing that Gale had proven himself worthy of the trust she placed in him and returning him to his lover would be a good ending. But, as @SteelTempest notes that ending also has problems.

I really want a no mindflayer ending without using an exploit.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Does anyone know how much knowledge about Gith politics the residents of the Sword Coast have? Players can have metaknowledge that the Gith help keep the Mindflayers from taking over the multiverse, but would our characters know that? I asked earlier, and I'm not sure if my comment was missed, or if people don't know. I'm really curious.

veteran
veteran
That's a great take bringing Earthsea's Ged into Gale's story, he is certainly a vain person, brought low by hubris, but I think when we meet Gale in our story he's been humbled. Like all of our characters he's given a choice of back sliding into resentment and doubling down on that hubris or in coming to terms with the consequences of his actions. I'm curious to know how much of his attitudes and responses change based on which direction you foster through out the playthrough.
I'm also not sure how much of a Jungian overlay we can transpose onto the the orb as much as we can Ged's Shadow, but that's neither here nor there.

Having him make his great sacrifice and then being saved after this act of total devotion seems like a perfect happy ending for him.

I also think that Gale's desire to be more powerful, might have actually come from a place of true affection. Gale is in a relationship with a serious power imbalance, one that he thinks will only continue if he can meet Mystra on more equal terms. If I remember correctly, what spurred his reckless action was knowing that his great romance was on the way out. I've never really agreed with the take that Gale is a self-serving manipulator, self-aware or otherwise, and I don't think we're not supposed to take his self-assessment at face value. Especially considering that without any interence from my Tav, he seems to default to the route of selfless sacrifice.

As for 'lampshading' I'm glad you enjoyed that @KillerRabbit, it seems I find it more and more in stories I see, and I'm not sure if that's just me looking for it, or if writing is just getting more 'meta' "This is the part of the story where you make a great sacrifice hero!"

Originally Posted by SteelTempest
Does anyone know how much knowledge about Gith politics the residents of the Sword Coast have? Players can have metaknowledge that the Gith help keep the Mindflayers from taking over the multiverse, but would our characters know that? I asked earlier, and I'm not sure if my comment was missed, or if people don't know. I'm really curious.

I think if people know about Mind-Flayers, they know about their ancestral enemies who exist in the Aether. It probably isn't common knowledge, but it isn't going to be completely unknown. There's is supposedly a starjammer port at Waterdeep, though they're not supposed to fly in. I personally find that pretty contrived, but so is a lot of the FR.

A
old hand
old hand
A
Yes I do believe him there, @KillerRabbit, because the game never calls his words into question. When Gale learns of the Orb's true nature and is rattled by the revelation, he offers Mystra the same excuse "I only wished to prove myself worthy" and while she calls him out on several things during their conversation, she believes him here and tells him that he already was worthy.

For me the closest thing to how Gale tried to persuade Mystra, which we can experience ourselves, is the boat ride. Here he tries to convince the romanced player to take the Crown for the greater good.* He is clearly deluding himself (which you can point out) but the reason isn't hunger for power but again his desire to prove himself worthy. "Then have me, but have the best version of me." The scene itself and all the interactions that come before it during Act 3 (The circus, the brothel**, the newly repaired conversation about his family name) are set up to show, how ill at ease he is with his human self ("You like so many things about me, that I'd have sooner discarded.") and that magical power for him is a way to escape himself.

In the situation with Mystra, he wanted to prove himself worthy of her gift by presenting a grand romantic gesture, again the magical power is just a substitute while the feeling of being deemed worthy is the real goal. I'd also like to point out that Gale's whole story is very adamant about big, over the top romantic gestures not being necessary or - in the worst case - bringing doom. Which is why self sacrifice as the greatest love does not work in this setting either, it is a bad thing to allow your lover to do something like this.

And I think they did a good job with all of his endings because they are way more nuanced than say Astarion's. Especially the "monster pcs" Avatar-Astarion, Karlach and Flayer-Tav have some overall very lovely variations as far as I can tell. You don't always need a hammer to make a point stick.

* And I love, how they made this his evil ending too.
** Again, I am so glad they changed the player dialogue here so you can now have this conversation without being an utter jerk.

Last edited by Anska; 16/09/24 10:24 AM.
Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
This is an aside, but I love the insights Auntie Ethel’s vicious mockery can give into our companions, or their insecurities. In one of my current playthroughs, I’m fought her yesterday and the things she said to Gale were along the lines of “a human, wanting to be *special*’ and “at least the tadpole made you interesting”, reinforcing his self-worth issues. Though of course that doesn’t resolve the question of whether he responded to those by a grand gesture to prove a deity-worthy love, or by trying to steal enough power to become the equal of a deity.

Aside over oops

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Sozz
I think if people know about Mind-Flayers, they know about their ancestral enemies who exist in the Aether. It probably isn't common knowledge, but it isn't going to be completely unknown. There's is supposedly a starjammer port at Waterdeep, though they're not supposed to fly in. I personally find that pretty contrived, but so is a lot of the FR.

Thanks for the response. That would give us some flexibility in what we would expect specific characters would know, and thus some roleplay flexibility.

Since Anska brought up how Gale's conversation about his family name is newly fixed, I would like to say how happy I am about that fix. It makes Gale's scene reclaiming his name more meaningful, since it now has the proper buildup explaining why he had stopped using it.
... It's an ending scene, my comment isn't completely off topic shadowheartsshh

A
old hand
old hand
A
Hopping on that tangent for a moment, I am also very happy this line got fixed. Like you said, during the scene in the Elfsong it sounds like the player character should already be aware of his family name and the reasons why he dropped it, so that reclaiming it becomes a sign of him starting his journey to be a bit more at ease with himself.

I know it's just a small thing, but it's probably the fix that made me most happy in the recent patch.

journeyman
journeyman

I can only speak for 2e AD&D, set 120 years before BG3/5e, where your average Doust Sulgrym from the Sword Coast certainly wouldn't know anything about spelljamming, the fight of the githyanki or the Blood War. You needed a lot of magic to even reach these vistas to begin with. Only a handful of nations and city states had spelljamming vessels and jealously guarded their economies from goods that could be valued differently on other worlds. Even gold coins did not have the same value across the spheres, so this was strictly controlled. Therefore, landing spelljammers would turn their vessels invisible, and landing facilities were kept secret. Of course, this also provided an in-game explanation why worlds like Toril (FR) or Oerth (Greyhawk) still had medieval/renaissance societies while other campaign worlds had advanced firearms, different magic, other racial variations and so on. It actually became a part of my home campaign to show how species, technology, exotic goods and knowledge slowly spread and advance.There are even rules for this in some of the old TSR books.

Other planes of existence, like Astral Space, the Inner/Elemental planes and the Outer Planes that contained many of the divine domains where more of a religious or spiritual idea to someone born into a small village on the Sword Coast. Planar natives would therefore call folks from the Mortal/prime material plane the "Clueless". Tales from these fantastic locales would probably be known to Doust, but coming with poetic liberties from the side of the priest or bard spinning them. From encounters in adventures and their monster book entries, Githyanki would mostly be known as raiders coming out of nowhere and would either be fled from or get attacked on sight. So, a moderately advanced character who has been around could know these things, but without either a sagely background or hands-on experience, most commoners would not be able to tell fiends apart or know mind flayers as anything more than these brain-eating monsters from the Underdark.

Not having played any of the WotC editions, it was part of the fun with BG3 for me to explore the world 120 years on. The devils seem to have gotten the upper hand in the Blood War, at least I can't think of finding any demons/tanar'ri in the game. Gith were no longer attacked on sight, but still seemed to be fairly unknown to most of the folks we met. Tieflings on the other hand seem to be way more common on the Sword Coast in 1492DR than in the olden days. I'm not sure how much this has to do with the events in Elturel, but they were quite rare and superstitiously feared in 2e.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Thanks, Tav'ith'sava! That's great info.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard