Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I've been playing Larian's RPGs since Divine Divinity, and while I did skip Dragon Commander, I've played and completed them all, up to Baldur's Gate 3. Which I've beaten three times, and are working on a fourth playthrough now doing an evil run as a Drow Sorcerer.

So, basically, I love their games, and I love CRPGs. Not enough companies make them anymore. The original Fallout/Baldur's Gate games were some of my favorite games of all time.

I was also, at one point, a massive Bethesda fan; having played every game they've released since Morrowind essentially. (And I still play Elder Scrolls Online to this day, even though it is going downhill.)

However, with the release of Starfield, I've realized their games are just old, and lazy, and they rely too heavily on the modding community for support and to fix their games. And refuse to give up their precious creation engine. They've grown too fat and greedy on the success of the Elder Scrolls series, and rely too heavily on modders, and take literal decades to fix and update their games.

As much fun as Fallout 4 was as an open world shooter and city builder, it was a terrible Fallout game compared to the old ones, and New Vegas.

Every day I wake up, I pray to God that Larian somehow works out a deal, and gets a temporary license for the Fallout IP, and makes the next Fallout game.

It doesn't have to be Fallout 5, Bethesda can do that themselves if they so choose to. But after Starfield, I have absolutely no faith in The Elder Scrolls 6, or Fallout 5 anymore.

Baldur's Gate 3, to me, is one of the greatest games ever made. And it would bring me no end of joy to see Larian make a Fallout game on that scale and scope. I'd even wait the years to play it if it meant it was as good as BG3 or better.

Being physically disabled, video games are my life. They aren't just a hobby. So I might sound a little overly passionate, and I apologize. I just wanted to come here and have my voice heard. Maybe Larian is watching, maybe they can work something out. But realistically, we all know the giants at Bethesda aren't going to just hand over the IP. Which is extremely disappointing, because they're doing literally nothing with it. And we all know Fallout 5 will be just as disappointing as Starfield.

Thank you for your time. Any and all opinions welcome about a Larian Post Apocalyptic game.

Last edited by Mako Ruu; 24/05/24 09:27 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I think a far more possible scenario is Obsidian Entertainment stepping in, also due to their past and still some key personell left. Doubly so if both Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2 are going to underperform MS' expectations -- if that happens, Obsidian may even be turned into a franchise studio mainly. Doing Fallout product for the next couple years / decade.

This isn't actually unrealistic. The release cycles between games are getting longer and longer. As development is taking longer and longer, mainly due to the audiovisual fidelity -- Starfield started in 2015, btw. and if you're really curious, check out on which consoles Skyrim launched first (or Rockstar's last GTA game...) MS would sure love to put a new Fallout game out yesterday, what with the popularity of the show. But unless Bethesda are going to upgrade into a behemoth of a studio, they're not going to regularly provide all those big IPs. They have TES too.

Franchises such as Call Of Duty have been doing this for years. The reason they can regularly release a game is multiple studios taking turns with releases.

Last edited by Sven_; 25/05/24 12:51 AM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Sven_
...I think a far more possible scenario is Obsidian Entertainment stepping in...

Bethesda will never give Obsidian another chance after New Vegas. Todd Howard is still licking his wounds, a recent article has claimed.

And I wouldn't play it, anyways. The Obsidian that made New Vegas is dead.

Outer Worlds was mid, and Avowed doesn't look great, either.

Last edited by Mako Ruu; 26/05/24 12:37 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Mako Ruu
Originally Posted by Sven_
...I think a far more possible scenario is Obsidian Entertainment stepping in...

Bethesda will never give Obsidian another chance after New Vegas. Todd Howard is still licking his wounds, a recent article has claimed.

This assumes it's solely for them to decide. Back then Obsidian also pitched a couple TES spin-offs to Bethesda. All declined. Given the lifetimes in between releases, Microsoft would probably step in and handle this differently now. With TES the same as with Fallout happened as well: Children that were made when Skyrim was born are attending high school soon. That's kids that have never experienced a single fresh main TES title in their life. Naturally also due to Bethesda not solely committing to TES. Still, Development cycles aren't going to big time come down anymore, even with the help of AI and ever improving tools.

Should both Avowed and TOW2 not meet expectations, it's far more likely that Obsidian are going to be turned into franchise juniors than them getting shut down either way -- like Tango Softworks or Arkane Austin were more recent. Whether that would be a good thing is another matter. The much smaller and more risky Pentiment I enjoyed far more than the likes of Outer Worlds as well. Mind you, I'm not expressing wishes. Rather, what appears more likely. To me even an inXile developed Fallout game seems more probable than one from Larian. First, they worked on Wasteland. Second, they also belong to Microsoft. And they also aim for the AAA-ish market with Clockwork Revolution now. A game that, just like Avowed and TOW2, is anything but a guaranteed commercial hit.

Last edited by Sven_; 05/06/24 12:44 AM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I firmly believe that Avowed is going to be really solid, but I strongly believe that it will not be on the same scale that Skyrim was.

Having said that, I'm still going to play the heck out of it.

Todd Howard is greedy, and old, his ideas are old, his engine is old. And he's extremely selfish as a developer and a businessman.

Bethesda is under tremendous controversy after releasing paid mods for Starfield, and the game is currently being review bombed.

Bethesda is going to stagnate and die under Todd Howards rule. They need to show that they can evolve to survive.

And Fallout needs to return to the CRPG format.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Been a while, still thinking about it.

addict
addict
Um.

Bethesda is owned by M$ now, isnt it ? Why would M$ ever give away Fallout ?

Also AFAIK Larian wants to do their own games and rulesets.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard