#952580 Yesterday at 02:52 PM
B
Belnea Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Hello everyone!

Sorry, I wasn't too sure where to ask these questions, but I'm stoked to start my good Halfling Bard playthrough!

1. Which difficulty should I choose? Honestly, 'Explorer' sounds quite inviting with no stress after work, but I don't want my gear and upgrades to mean nothing. Should I just stick out 'balanced'?

2. Should I invite everyone to camp and do their stories? This might be a stupid question, but I'll probably only play this game once anytime soon, but I've heard inviting everyone and swapping out your party constantly can get annoying. At the same time, I want to experience everyone's storyline (unless they're evil, as I'm playing a goody goody, haha).

3. Any extra tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all so much in advance! smile

Belnea #952581 Yesterday at 03:16 PM
T
addict
Online Content
addict
T
Originally Posted by Belnea
1. Which difficulty should I choose? Honestly, 'Explorer' sounds quite inviting with no stress after work, but I don't want my gear and upgrades to mean nothing. Should I just stick out 'balanced'?

Balanced should be fine. While not restricting you (Explorer prevents multiclassing).

If you find it too difficult, you can always change to Explorer mid-playthrough.

2. Should I invite everyone to camp and do their stories?

Yes. For the most part, you don't even need to swap party members in to progress their personal quests, you can simply talk to them at camp. As a new player you likely won't even know WHEN to swap them in anyway.

It's only for their Act 3 quests as well as some more obvious situations (Like going to the place where Lae'zel keeps telling you to go) where their presence makes a bigger deal.

3. Any extra tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

- Talk to everyone. Learn Speak with Animals and talk to all the animals too.

- Explore. There are plenty of hidden trinkets and areas. Some of which will provide alternate routes to complete quests.

- Save frequently. You might run into unexpected situations you're not prepared for. So it's nice to have options to reload a recent save rather than lose a lot of time you spent exploring (While the game does have autosaves, they're not always the best)

- If you're using Shadowheart in your party, have her talk to Withers in camp to respec her as soon as possible. Change her starting stats so she either has good Strength or good Dexterity and give her a suitable weapon (I.e. Finesse weapon if you chose Dexterity) so she can actually hit things since her initial stats are pretty bad.

- Don't be afraid to utilize Withers to change your builds. If a choice you made is not panning out like you hoped, you can always respec and change it. This works for everything, from feats, spells, subclasses, classes, stats, you can respec any character almost completely (Only Background and Race cannot be respecced)

Belnea #952582 Yesterday at 03:56 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
IMO Explorer is boring, Normal difficulty too. Honour Mode for a first run might be too much, hence I would suggest Tactician.
Don't bother to recruit all the Origins, as most are evil jerks anyway. You will not be able to digest all their backgrounds in a single playthough either, too much of sob! and edgy! tales flung at you.
Swapping them out - especially if you are learning the game - will blow your mind as there are too many classes and subclasses, too many skills, spells and items to juggle. Make a party (can be partly with Hirelings) at around 3rd level, no multiclassing, and stick to it until you learn the subtleties of the game.
Don't be afraid to "run away to live to fight another day" - once two are down/dead, have one sacrifice themselfves and have the fourth flee to camp, to revive the rest at Withers (or return to the battlefield with Resurrection Scrolls). I found that MUCH more rewarding than F8.
I agree with talking with animals - fun smile

Belnea #952587 Yesterday at 07:44 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Should I invite everyone to camp and do their stories? This might be a stupid question, but I'll probably only play this game once anytime soon, but I've heard inviting everyone and swapping out your party constantly can get annoying. At the same time, I want to experience everyone's storyline (unless they're evil, as I'm playing a goody goody, haha).
Afaik, the only companion you have to have in the active party while doing their quest is Shadowheart. Other companions, you can solve their questlines while they chill at camp. So you can recruit everyone.

Belnea #952594 Yesterday at 09:52 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Balance sounds like the perfect difficulty for you.

As for the companions and their quests, I would go in blind, get to know them without any pre knowledge. Don't worry so much about a perfect playthrough, just make it your playthrough. You only get one first play. Take the companions you like the most with you. It is a lot more fun to play this way than to constantly check guides so you don't miss anything. You will miss stuff anyway, it's so much in the game.

Save often. You can save in dialogue also. Do a manual save after or before big events so you have backups if things don't go as you expected.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by KiraMira
Don't worry so much about a perfect playthrough, just make it your playthrough. You only get one first play.
This is IMO the best advice there is laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard