Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#937278 24/02/24 02:16 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
With the launch of The Last EPoch and no further content updates for BG3, today marks the end of a wonderful journey in BG3. Its been a blast but as a wise man once said - All good things come to an end. Stay safe and good luck in your future adventures fellow party members!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by ShadowDragonSock
no further content updates for BG3

wait what?

veteran
veteran
Not sure whatever gave the impression that there will be no more content updates, because this is literally stated in the very patch notes;

"We continue to work on future updates to Baldur’s Gate 3, with further improvements, fixes, and patches yet to come..."

They announced cross platform modding support in a few months. If anything the journey has just begun.

veteran
veteran
We're playing since 7 months (or 3 years for EA players)... My journey will probably last for 20 more years as it was with the old games^^

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
Online Content
veteran
With the launch of The Last EPoch and no further content updates for BG3, today marks the end of a wonderful journey in BG3. Its been a blast but as a wise man once said - All good things come to an end. Stay safe and good luck in your future adventures fellow party members!

Pfft, Tourists...

Ya know you can just leave your keys in the drop box you don't need to announce your departure to the world.

Blackheifer
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
Not sure whatever gave the impression that there will be no more content updates, because this is literally stated in the very patch notes;

"We continue to work on future updates to Baldur’s Gate 3, with further improvements, fixes, and patches yet to come..."

That's not really 'new content' though, is it?

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
My journey will probably last for 20 more years as it was with the old games^^

Read that back slowly and consider what it says about you.

Originally Posted by ThatDarnOwl
They announced cross platform modding support in a few months. If anything the journey has just begun.

You're waiting at the station for a train that isn't coming.

Originally Posted by Jordaker
They announced it a few days ago have you been living under a rock?
Originally Posted by Salo
We are working on official mod support, and have been for a while. We want the very best for you, which includes establishing a pipeline that lets mod authors release their mods across different platforms.

Together with the platform holders, we are working on making this a reality, and are forming a team to support mod curation. We’re aiming to offer modding support for things like classes, UI, customisation, spells, and certain assets and game mechanics.

As this is no small task, we hope to introduce the initial stages of modding support in our next big patch, which is still several months away. Frustrated as you might be now, we’re keen to work with you on this - and have plans to reach out to popular mod authors to talk further and work together to avoid issues in the future.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I have had several play throughs, and finally beat the game in Honormode.
Have I seen everything? Not really, the one thing thats really left for me is the Minthara storyline but she is so buggy and broken that I am going to hold off for now.

I have had plenty of fun but I have one last playthrough in me. I love that Larian is continuing to support this game with updates, the last act while large it is kind of a mess. I am sure in a year or two with all the gradual updates, the definitive edition and dare I hope a DLC? I would definitely be coming back.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I'd only pick up BG3 again if they added a major new expansion. I played hundreds of hours in EA and post EA and ended up doing two runs with all companions (in different combos - except for Minthara...does she have one? always ended up offing her when we met), did all their personal quests, every side-quest I could find (except dibbles the clown...never did find his last bits - but too tedious, the ultimate 'fetch' quest.), looked under every rock etc. I see no value in going back yet again for anything less. So for, me, the game is now shelved. UNLESS someone is able to make quality standalone modules that implement some cool 5e adventure (as long as those also include fixes for Larian's very messed up 5e implementation). I am very curious to see how sophisticated and complete the modding framework will actually be - I'd love levitate and proper fly (with hover, as in Solasta), for modded spells. I suspect that is an engine limitation though.

Originally Posted by booboo
I'd only pick up BG3 again if they added a major new expansion.
I would honestly be surprised if they did this as it clearly wasn't planned. If I had to guess Larian has likely moved onto their next game. With Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 they fairly quickly moved onto their next projects.
UNLESS someone is able to make quality standalone modules that implement some cool 5e adventure (as long as those also include fixes for Larian's very messed up 5e implementation).
I'm very optimistic this will happen assuming we get custom environment support. Neverwinter Nights 2 had a team full on remake Baldur's Gate 1 and Icewind Dale.
I am very curious to see how sophisticated and complete the modding framework will actually be
You and me both
I'd love levitate and proper fly (with hover, as in Solasta), for modded spells. I suspect that is an engine limitation though.
I suspect you're correct. The engine is likely very buggy when it comes to moving in the Z axis. Divinity Original Sin 2's engine heavily relied on a pathfinding grid for characters to move. You had to generate this otherwise your character would be stuck in place.
[Linked Image from docs.larian.game]
I suspect Baldur's Gate 3 runs on a very similar system however they likely created a hacky method for letting players move from one grid to another for things like jumping. It's also likely why the player freezes in place when you go onto elevators as it's likely they never implemented moving AI grids.

AI grids like this are also not uncommon in rpgs of this style. Dragon Age Origins operated off of a very similar system.

stranger
stranger
Why make an announcement? Why not just move on?

Originally Posted by mousestalker
More or less they're doing this

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
They announced it a few days ago have you been living under a rock?
Originally Posted by Salo
We are working on official mod support, and have been for a while. We want the very best for you, which includes establishing a pipeline that lets mod authors release their mods across different platforms.

Together with the platform holders, we are working on making this a reality, and are forming a team to support mod curation. We’re aiming to offer modding support for things like classes, UI, customisation, spells, and certain assets and game mechanics.

As this is no small task, we hope to introduce the initial stages of modding support in our next big patch, which is still several months away. Frustrated as you might be now, we’re keen to work with you on this - and have plans to reach out to popular mod authors to talk further and work together to avoid issues in the future.

I'll believe it it when I see it. They have been saying it is coming since EA. There are already over 7,000 mods on Nexus including classes, UI, customisation, spells and game mechanics mods. I'm not sure what they mean by 'certain game assets' so I'll leave that out. The 20-30 mods i used from EA never caused me any problems. The only problems came when Larian patched the game.

"we hope to introduce the initial stages of modding support in our next big patch, which is still several months away" It's always tomorrow with Larian. These types of comments from Larian are usually a PR knee-jerk reaction to criticism. I'd be very surprised if there is still interest in the game if and when it does arrive.

And no, I haven't been living under a rock. I have lots of other interests and hanging around the Larian forum is not a priority even if the Gateway Timeouts made it feasible.

Last edited by Jordaker; 25/02/24 12:31 PM.
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Originally Posted by mousestalker
Why ask a question no one other than the OP can answer?

I'll believe it it when I see it. They have been saying it is coming since EA.
It's very logical why it got delayed if they're working on cross platform mod support. They clearly got the idea to allow for modifications on console. So in-order to setup the framework to do that, they'd need to release the console ports first. The Xbox port didn't come out until December. They also mention in the quote that they're in active communications with "Platform holders" about it. This is likely referencing how Sony has strict limitations on this sort of thing. So hashing out these agreements is likely also delaying the process by itself.

Either way when something gets cancelled you don't typically then see an employee tell you not only is it still coming, but they're also promising a half dozen more features that were never mentioned.
There are already over 7,000 mods on Nexus including classes, UI, customisation, spells and game mechanics mods.
This is based on reverse engineering Larian's formats and injecting code directly into the exe to run things. This is notably extremely limited modders have hard limitations they can't overcome without Larian releasing official tools.
I'm not sure what they mean by 'certain game assets' so I'll leave that out.
Salo is referencing the negotiations they're having with platform holders. This is almost certainly referring to how Sony disallows the distribution of third party assets with games on Playstation.
The 20-30 mods i used from EA never caused me any problems. The only problems came when Larian patched the game.
This is because tools like the Script Extender rely on reverse engineering the game's exe to then inject code into it directly. When Larian then modifies the exe this breaks the Script Extender.
"we hope to introduce the initial stages of modding support in our next big patch, which is still several months away" It's always tomorrow with Larian. These types of comments from Larian are usually a PR knee-jerk reaction to criticism.
I would rather they delay modding support if it means more features than rush it.
I'd be very surprised if there is still interest in the game if and when it does arrive.
Games like this typically don't suddenly die off. Neverwinter Nights 2 had multiple massive modifications made for it. Like a team remade Baldur's Gate 1 and Icewind Dale in its engine. These all came out years after launch. A team even remade Runescape's world in its engine in 2015, 9 years after it launched. So expecting that nobody will be around to mod BG3 less than a year after it's launch is pessimistic to the extreme.
And no, I haven't been living under a rock. I have lots of other interests and hanging around the Larian forum is not a priority even if the Gateway Timeouts made it feasible.
The train is coming and when it arrives it's going to be glorious.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Crimsomrider

I guess it depends if you view kisses as content, improvements and fixes are objectively not content.

I can fully understand people stepping away from the game, coming back later to see if anything's new or to scratch a BG3 itch. Not unlike the way many people still play Skyrim

old hand
old hand

Have fun! I still have to wait about three months and then I can put BG 3 aside for now and wait for more polish or a definitive edition. Very good news today (PC-Port): rpg005

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 06/03/24 06:34 PM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard