Next Thread
Print Thread
V
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
V
So this specific instance relates to
fighting Gortash Enver and Duke Ravengard after you destroy the Steel Watcher Foundry
, but I've seen people complain about this happening during the part of the fight with
Auntie Ethel
where she
disguises herself as the woman you're trying to save
: non-lethal damage just doesn't work. The game doesn't respect your choice to use it, and related quests mark the character you knocked out as dead instead of, you know, knocked out.

This was even more egregious in the case of
Duke Ravengard
because I could literally see him lying there at 1 HP with the cartoon stars floating around his head while the quest log told me he was dead. No, Baldur's Gate 3, he's not dead, he's right there, on the floor, with stars around his head. Stop lying to me.

So I want Larian to answer me: what is the point of having a non-lethal option in the game if it won't actually let me take advantage of it? I'm willing to bet that it's like this for basically every character in the game, because I can't see a situation in which you forgot to code exceptions for two of the most obvious people you'd want to spare while remembering to code them for everyone else.

So I want to know: why is the game like this, and what are you going to do to fix it?

I
old hand
old hand
I
Because it only exist because a few players during EA demanded it and it was never intended.
And it was clear from the beginning that it would be impossible to add enough reactivity to accurately react to non lethal combat.
So Larian added a few token non lethal combats where it would matter and otherwise ignores it.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Mechanically theyre dead and despawn after a while, its just for feel good reasons, they should add reactivity or remove it, its a half baked feature as of now, maybe allow it only for a few fights that have reactivity, by adding a popup yes/no menu at the start of combat?

Last edited by Sopello; 07/09/23 02:35 PM.
old hand
old hand
For some NPC encounters it works quite well, for some not at all.

Positive example: Barth, Aradin and Remira

Negative examples: Damays & Nymessa or Mayrina's brothers

As always, the contradiction lies in a half-hearted implementation and realization. Why? Only Larian knows...

E
E
Maybe at last they will allow
Orpheus' honor guard to be non-lethally taken out? It was the first thought I had when game basically forced me to fight them. After all, they are monks, got to have a decent Wisdom stat, they just needed time to understand that Tav isn't turning to ghaik.

Last edited by Ellenhard; 07/09/23 03:00 PM.
V
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
V
Originally Posted by Ixal
Because it only exist because a few players during EA demanded it and it was never intended.
And it was clear from the beginning that it would be impossible to add enough reactivity to accurately react to non lethal combat.
So Larian added a few token non lethal combats where it would matter and otherwise ignores it.

No. Completely unacceptable.

A
aqa Offline
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by VexWerewolf
Auntie Ethel
No only that.
You can also knock the brothers out if you side with Ethel at first. You can even tell Mayrina you didn't kill them. So far so good, but then it all falls appart. When you tell Mayrina her brothers aren't dead she screams "dead, they are all dead" (or something like that). Ethel tells Mayrina to quiet down, and Mayrina repeats the exact same line before being teleported away by Ethel. And that's the end of that. There is no followup, the game just acts like the brothers are dead.

V
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
V
Originally Posted by aqa
Auntie Ethel
No only that.
You can also knock the brothers out if you side with Ethel at first. You can even tell Mayrina you didn't kill them. So far so good, but then it all falls appart. When you tell Mayrina her brothers aren't dead she screams "dead, they are all dead" (or something like that). Ethel tells Mayrina to quiet down, and Mayrina repeats the exact same line before being teleported away by Ethel. And that's the end of that. There is no followup, the game just acts like the brothers are dead.

Are you serious? Larian really did this?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ellenhard
Maybe at last they will allow
Orpheus' honor guard to be non-lethally taken out? It was the first thought I had when game basically forced me to fight them. After all, they are monks, got to have a decent Wisdom stat, they just needed time to understand that Tav isn't turning to ghaik.
...brilliant.

I completely agree. Because one of my gripe is that you can't actually convince O to not turn into squidward, despite I'm bringing Gale to commit Al-Qaeda.

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
addict
addict
Originally Posted by aqa
Auntie Ethel
No only that.

Are you serious? Larian really did this?
This surely will make you refund the game right?

Councellor Florrick's favorite Warlock.

Back Black Geyser's DLC: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grapeocean/black-geyser-dlc-tales-of-the-moon-cult (RTwP Isometric cRPG inspired by BG1).
O
stranger
stranger
O
Originally Posted by aqa
Auntie Ethel
No only that.

For a game that's meant to be based heavily around DnD, Larian unfortunately made a lot of encounters only have one possible outcome no matter what you do. Obviously a video game will never have as much flexibility as a ttrpg, but I wish there were at least more possibilities.

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
I had one fight where an NPC kept telling me the target was wanted alive at all costs so I switched to non-lethal and it seemed to go as intended.

V
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
V
Originally Posted by Olive Tree
Originally Posted by aqa
Auntie Ethel
No only that.

For a game that's meant to be based heavily around DnD, Larian unfortunately made a lot of encounters only have one possible outcome no matter what you do. Obviously a video game will never have as much flexibility as a ttrpg, but I wish there were at least more possibilities.
They specifically provide non-lethal as a possibility, so they should actually respect it.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard