Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 156 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 155 156
G
stranger
stranger
G

Last edited by GenPlastro; 12/08/23 04:29 AM.
G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by GenPlastro

The article is lovely, I'm very thankful to Mark Warren, and Gfinity for their contribution to our efforts.

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Tomelius
It really makes me not want to finish the game knowing what will happen.
I had my hopes up for fixing her engine especially when the steelwatch commented that it is an outdated model, just for it turn out as nothing.
As one of the most positive and compassionate characters, she deserves an option for a happy ending. It's also a major peeve with me that Larian said that BG3 will have 17,000 ending variations for the game, but they couldn't squeeze in a good ending for her. Larian did her dirty and I sincerelly hope they will fix that.
#JUSTICE FOR KALRACH

Its unfortunate that so many people have said to me, on the various social media posts things like "I know I spoiled myself but thank you for saving me the emotional torment" or, as you said "This makes me not want to finish the game", things like that, and the sheer amount of individuals who thought it had to be a buggy quest (myself included before all of this) really shocked me, and I think that's evidence more than anything that we really need to see a change.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by G4RIIK

The article is lovely, I'm very thankful to Mark Warren, and Gfinity for their contribution to our efforts.

Very well said. The louder the uproar, the greater the chance that the ending will be improved to actually make some sense.

On one hand, I still feel like playing, but on the other, knowing how terrible the ending is, I just don't have the desire. Personally, I'd prefer the release to be postponed by even a few months if that means the whole thing would be thoroughly refined. The entire ending, especially the Karlach storyline, deviates so much in quality from the rest of the game that you can truly get the impression it was put together hastily right before the release.

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Deepack

Very well said. The louder the uproar, the greater the chance that the ending will be improved to actually make some sense.

On one hand, I still feel like playing, but on the other, knowing how terrible the ending is, I just don't have the desire. Personally, I'd prefer the release to be postponed by even a few months if that means the whole thing would be thoroughly refined. The entire ending, especially the Karlach storyline, deviates so much in quality from the rest of the game that you can truly get the impression it was put together hastily right before the release.

I genuinely cannot imagine a run without Karlach in my party, so I'll be waiting until we see either an address or a change. Its harsh but, I can't bring myself to do it without her.

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
hi everyone. im glad that this topic gets this attention. i hope it wont take long til some youtubers notices this topic.

anyways, i have one question: does someone know what exactly got "fixed" in yesterdays hotfix regarding karlach? did we get a ending slide show for her or something similar? the answers would decide if i finish my run or abandon it and deinstall it.

#JusticeForKarlach!
apprentice
apprentice
Hello everyone,

Thanks all for not let Karlach fall into the land of good character with sloppy development.

You know what's worse than playing a bad game ? Playing an incredible game with a so lazy end. I mean this game could be easily game of this decade with only 1 quest step, 3 dialogues scene, and maybe one or 2 more cinematics. But no they wanted to have a frustrating character.

I mean it's an RPG in a Fantasy World, where almost everything you can imagine is possible. Karlach is one of, if no, the most "human" character, with one of the easiest issue of all the crew. She doesn't have to face a cult, an army, a entire race, the rage of the god, or the worst curse that ever exists... nah she just have to find some good blacksmith, 2 or 3 components, and that's it.
So how in the whole story you can justify that there's no better way out for Karlach that going back to Avernus ? Why if I do everything correct compared to the rules of the world that govern BG3, I cannot have a happy/good/romance ending for Karlach ?

As many other said, if they wanted to take Karlach as their tragic character, so this is not how you deal with a tragic character. A tragic character is well done when you understand with all the quest that there's no way you can save him from its situation, and the more you progress, the more the hope flies away.
Here's just one of the best character of the game, with a good backstory and an excellent audio work, and her story is just sloppy. All the game we can find dozens of means to save her, most of the game our best Mommy K healer is the only one blacksmith of the village that have to live like a nomad. Even him can do something, and even when he says he can't do more, dialogues are made to let you think there's so many other way. You literally visit a Forge with the so-called "best inventors of all Faerun" ffs !!

And if they absolutely want to give us a character with no good end, why with the only Loyal Good character man ?! I mean we have a radical cultist, a good soldier of her queen that kills everyone who's too weak, a dumb magician who's like Icarus flying too close to the Sun while flirting with a goddess... All of them seems to have a Free Redemption Pass. But the only true good character is like "so you suffer your whole life and now you want to live a simple happy life ? Haha get doomed back to the Avernus little barbarian snowflake !!" I'm tired of all those studios thinking that punishing the good guy is so edgy... No that's just boring...

It's like if Karlach was still in Early Access. And it kills most of the Replay Value for me, and even the will to finish the game. Proud to annouce "17,000 different ends", but unable to have one good/happy end for one the Companion/OC...

As Dewey could say about companions/OC before the full release : "I didn't expect anything, and I'm still disappointed".

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Blook88
hi everyone. im glad that this topic gets this attention. i hope it wont take long til some youtubers notices this topic.

anyways, i have one question: does someone know what exactly got "fixed" in yesterdays hotfix regarding karlach? did we get a ending slide show for her or something similar? the answers would decide if i finish my run or abandon it and deinstall it.

Unfortunately no, these are "cosmetic changes." The further fate of the characters is still unknown, of course, except for Karlach, who, as we know, regardless of the choice, is condemned to something she doesn't deserve.

Originally Posted by Kimba
You know what's worse than playing a bad game ? Playing an incredible game with a so lazy end. I mean this game could be easily game of this decade with only 1 quest step, 3 dialogues scene, and maybe one or 2 more cinematics. But no they wanted to have a frustrating character.

Exactly, I played through the whole game with bated breath, reaching the ending, I couldn't wait to see how things would unfold further. Not only do we not really find out anything, but also the best companion has a messed up situation.

I mean it's an RPG in a Fantasy World, where almost everything you can imagine is possible. Karlach is one of, if no, the most "human" character, with one of the easiest issue of all the crew. She doesn't have to face a cult, an army, a entire race, the rage of the god, or the worst curse that ever exists... nah she just have to find some good blacksmith, 2 or 3 components, and that's it.
So how in the whole story you can justify that there's no better way out for Karlach that going back to Avernus ? Why if I do everything correct compared to the rules of the world that govern BG3, I cannot have a happy/good/romance ending for Karlach ?

And that's precisely the problem. Karlach is a character with whom it's easiest to identify. She simply wants to live, without needing power, money, or recognition, and as a reward for that, she gets the worst fate of them all. That's why this topic emerged, because the character doesn't deserve that.

As many other said, if they wanted to take Karlach as their tragic character, so this is not how you deal with a tragic character. A tragic character is well done when you understand with all the quest that there's no way you can save him from its situation, and the more you progress, the more the hope flies away.
Here's just one of the best character of the game, with a good backstory and an excellent audio work, and her story is just sloppy. All the game we can find dozens of means to save her, most of the game our best Mommy K healer is the only one blacksmith of the village that have to live like a nomad. Even him can do something, and even when he says he can't do more, dialogues are made to let you think there's so many other way. You literally visit a Forge with the so-called "best inventors of all Faerun" ffs !!

Another excellent example is V from Cyberpunk. The game also tackles deep themes, and the ending is very sad, yet it's intricately woven into a logical whole, presented appropriately, and supported by strong arguments. And from what I know, an additional option for a happy ending is supposed to be introduced in dlc as well.

In my opinion, @Larian should quickly introduce even a temporary solution as an olive branch for the players. Personally, I think right after the ending, a slideshow with narration describing the further fates of all characters would be sufficient, but for heaven's sake, with a happy ending.

As I mentioned earlier, each of us knows firsthand that life isn't fair. We escape from this reality into games, onto motorcycles, into cars, and parties, just to flee from all the crap of everyday life. And truly, while playing Baldur's, I was convinced that I had missed something because I couldn't digest the fact that such a wonderful game could hit me with a direct shot to the face at the very end.

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
@Deepack

thank you for your answer.

larian, you raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly.

#JusticeForKarlach!
M
M
I don't think framing it as Larian getting lazy or leaving her story unfinished is productive (or accurate!) The issue with Karlach's storyline is that she's tied to a lot of thematic points that no longer exist. Karlach outright tells you that she's going to live until she burns up, that she wants to spend it as happy as possible. That this is what ends up happening to her isn't a bad ending for her. It's only a bad ending because every other character can dodge their fate. It's most obvious with Gale, where Larian made it comically easy for him to just keep dodging his flaws and consequences. The problem of Karlach isn't that her ending is lazy or unfinished, it's that it feels tonally and structurally dissonant for one character to be given a bittersweet ending about accepting their situation and making peace with it when no other character has to. Like I said, I think she's a remnant of the earlier narrative. The story changed, her ending didn't.

Apparently, Karlach can also
volunteer to turn into a Mind Flayer when someone must do so near the ending, and figures she's happy existing as a Mind Flayer.
But that option didn't come up for me when she was present for the conversation.

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Milkfred
I don't think framing it as Larian getting lazy or leaving her story unfinished is productive (or accurate!) The issue with Karlach's storyline is that she's tied to a lot of thematic points that no longer exist. Karlach outright tells you that she's going to live until she burns up, that she wants to spend it as happy as possible. That this is what ends up happening to her isn't a bad ending for her. It's only a bad ending because every other character can dodge their fate. It's most obvious with Gale, where Larian made it comically easy for him to just keep dodging his flaws and consequences. The problem of Karlach isn't that her ending is lazy or unfinished, it's that it feels tonally and structurally dissonant for one character to be given a bittersweet ending about accepting their situation and making peace with it when no other character has to. Like I said, I think she's a remnant of the earlier narrative. The story changed, her ending didn't.

Apparently, Karlach can also
volunteer to turn into a Mind Flayer when someone must do so near the ending, and figures she's happy existing as a Mind Flayer.
But that option didn't come up for me when she was present for the conversation.

While you make some agreeable points (mostly around the tone deafness), Karlach and Tav are pulled along by hope, Karlach wants to live more than anything, more than she wants to go out a hero, more than she wants to return to Avernus, and the solution (among many) to her problem is wafted under the player's nose. I can't understate how gutwrenching it is, to be told that the solution sits right in the Foundry, with the Gondians, only to not be able to do anything with it, not even discuss it with Zanner, Dammon, nothing. By the end of the game (and when you play as her), returning to Avernus is posed as the "best" ending, Tav (or Wyll) is going to go with her, keep her safe, continue to love her unconditionally. But we get no payoff, no epilogue to show us that our choice there mattered. As it stands, I don't think any of us find it LAZY, but definitely feel like it went unfinished due to time.

G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
@Deepack

Though your question was answered, I appreciate having you here. The fixes may have been cosmetic, but as far as we know, the Justice for Karlach movement may have been seen, and in time, when hotfixes are no longer as required, we may see change. Until then, we're just trying to keep our voices loud, but respectful about the game and about our hopes for the future.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Agree with most of the complaints here, but this is not a movement lmao. It’s a few mild complaints about a handful of controversial narrative decisions.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
@Deepack

Though your question was answered, I appreciate having you here. The fixes may have been cosmetic, but as far as we know, the Justice for Karlach movement may have been seen, and in time, when hotfixes are no longer as required, we may see change. Until then, we're just trying to keep our voices loud, but respectful about the game and about our hopes for the future.

dont worry, ill stay. this became my passion project, ive made a reddit post 2 daysafter release and the comments became full of support and theory crafting.

i agree with you, just continue to be peaceful and respectful and hope for the best

#JUSTICE FOR KARLACH

#JusticeForKarlach!
G4RIIK Offline OP
OP Offline
@Deepack

dont worry, ill stay. this became my passion project, ive made a reddit post 2 daysafter release and the comments became full of support and theory crafting.

i agree with you, just continue to be peaceful and respectful and hope for the best

#JUSTICE FOR KARLACH

Justice for Karlach!

apprentice
apprentice
@Milkfred

When you first encounter her, of course she wants to "live until she burns up". But the more you progress the more she wants to live. Same as Gale who first just want to do something for himself whatever who is impacted, but then he carries about the others in the group and think about it longer.
The moment Karlach has a piece of a solution, she wants to live, and ONLY IF there's no way to fix her, and at the very last moment, she will "accept" her fate to die. That's literally scripted in the game.

I mean we totally agree that she can have "bad" endings, that's the purpose of a RPG. If you fail something, you have to be prepared to have some bad news. But if you success, well you success, there's no reason not to save her if you do everything correct. She accepts to be a mindflayer if there's no other option. She accepts to die if there's no other option and you fail to convince her to live in Avernus. She accepts to go in the Avernus with you or Wyll if you try to convince her. Any of this is totally coherent. So why can't we find in all Baldur a very good blacksmith if we : - save everyone in Act 1 -save everyone in the forge - save everyone in the shadows ?

That's why her story doesn't give us a bittersweet ending as it was maybe intended as you suggest. Because everyone can escape their initial fate, all of them can have a long beautiful life, but not Karlach. That's not bittersweet, that's unfair, and unfair for no true reason. Especially when you have plenty of solutions in front of your nose while others like Lae'zel can be miraculous. Her queen has a Wish that she can use 100 times during the story to just kill her (and you can died like this if you pick some bad dialogue choices).
That lets a feeling that Karlach story is unfinished.

Maybe my words are hard in my comment, but I never say Larian Studio are lazy people. And I don't mind if Karlach's story is not as developed or important as Lae'zel or Shadowheart quests. But please finish her story with the same storyline consistency as for the other characters.
If she has to be the bittersweet character, so explain to the player why she can't be saved during the journey and what she have to do/fight to gets her freedom back as an epilogue.
If it was not intended that Karlach have a bittersweet end, so give her a mean to be saved during the journey and let her have a good/happy end like the others.

We don't want a happy end to have a happy end. We want her the same in-game chances as other companions to be saved. That's all.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Agree with most of the complaints here, but this is not a movement lmao. It’s a few mild complaints about a handful of controversial narrative decisions.

Gaming journalism has already wrote pieces about this, we're the biggest channel in the feedback discord servers, and the second largest forum thread. Just because you dont see the movement doesn't mean it isnt there.

Larian has done this kind of thing before, so there's no reason they couldn't again.

And while sure they might not end up doing anything, that's their choice to make, if we say nothing we're guaranteed to not get change.

#JusticeforKarlach

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Magmablargg

Gaming journalism has already wrote pieces about this, we're the biggest channel in the feedback discord servers, and the second largest forum thread. Just because you dont see the movement doesn't mean it isnt there.

Larian has done this kind of thing before, so there's no reason they couldn't again.

And while sure they might not end up doing anything, that's their choice to make, if we say nothing we're guaranteed to not get change.

#JusticeforKarlach
I’m not saying this to be mean, but it comes across as just a little bit obsessive. It’s an ending for one companion in a video game. Let’s contextualise this a little bit. 100% want to see you guys get what you want because it would make the game better, but “movement” is a bit extreme. It’s just feedback.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Magmablargg

#JusticeforKarlach
I’m not saying this to be mean, but it comes across as just a little bit obsessive. It’s an ending for one companion in a video game. Let’s contextualise this a little bit. 100% want to see you guys get what you want because it would make the game better, but “movement” is a bit extreme. It’s just feedback.

You can consider it obsessive sure. I'd go with passionate, but really a 'movement' is just a group of people working towards a common goal, which is what this is.

And yes it is a video game, a video game that Larian has spent roughly 10 years developing. And for the vastly greater part they made a damn near perfect game. A game so good and enthralling that many people like myself couldnt help but become invested in the very real seeming characters.

The problem arises that in a game built around choices, no matter what choices you make during the story, Karlach's 3 potential endings are quite literally the 3 options she had at the beginning of the game; die, become a mindflayer, or return to hell. In a game where otherwise your agency is so valued and built upon it just comes across as unfinished when all other characters have a range of endings from bad to good, but Karlach is the only character who your choices dont affect, and always gets a bad ending.

stranger
stranger
I don't consider Larian to be lazy. It's just that both the ending and Karlach herself, in terms of quality and refinement, are far from the rest. The number of possibilities that BG3 offers in terms of mission resolution is truly incredible. The amount of detail present in the game at every step is absolutely stunning. However, this doesn't change the fact that the ending feels like a completely separate entity from the rest of the game. Throughout the game, you encounter logical explanations, precise information, etc. This is lacking in the ending. As for Karlach, in my opinion, there simply wasn't enough time for her development (just like for the ending). The Gondian Forge and the reference to a better version of the engine that can work in Faerun almost give the impression that the content where Karlach could be fixed was cut out or it might even be a quest bug that doesn't trigger.

BG3 is an outstanding game, but there are areas where it could and should be better.

Page 6 of 156 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 155 156

Link Copied to Clipboard