Next Thread
Print Thread
#844073 09/02/23 03:41 AM
A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
Here is a list of spells I would like to see added.

1: compulsion/ greater command
2: creation <make tools>
3: weird / phantasmal killer / phantasmal purification
4: wall of force
5: arcane eye
6: purify food / drink
7: freedom of movement / dimension door
8: raise dead
9: wall of fire
10: legendary proportion
11: sleet storm
12: cloud kill
13: slow
14: protection from elements

What do you all think. Do yall agree? Did I miss any big ones

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by AusarViled
10: legendary proportion

... your legendary what now?

veteran
veteran
Compulsion - 4th level
'Greater Command' - no such spell
Creation - 5th level
Weird - 9th level
Phantasmal Killer - 4th level
'Phantasmal Purification' - no such spell
Wall of Force - 5th level
Arcane Eye - 4th level
Purify Food/Drink - 1st level
Freedom of Movement - 4th level
Dimension Door - 4th level
Raise Dead - 5th level
Wall of Fire - 4th level
'Legendary Proportion' - no such spell
Sleet Storm - 3rd level (and it makes a terrain effect that makes people fall prone, so I'm flabbergasted that Larian didn't put this one in already... it's right up their alley.)
Cloud Kill - 5th level
Slow - 3rd level
'Protection from Elements' - no such spell, however "Protection from Energy" is 3rd level, and likely what you're thinking of.

The majority of the spells you're listing are 4th level or higher - so naturally we do not have them in the present game, which only has spells to 3rd level so far.

If we're listing spells that the game should have that include 4th and above, then the answer is: the majority of them up to whatever spell level we can achieve, please.

F
addict
addict
F
- Spiritual weapon is the obvious one missing from the cleric list. It's a must-take for melee combat clerics.
- Detect magic and Identify; will Larian implement this subsystem? I guess the better question is, does it bring more fun to the game?
- Also, why isn't Enhance ability a wizard spell like it should be?

I guess 'EA' answers all.

veteran
veteran
Weird that you missed Lightning Bolt - a 3rd level spell that goes hand-in-hand with Fireball which are THE 3rd level Evocation spells. Although I am just assuming they already have it in the primary framework (the Real game) and it's just not been placed in the EA (The Secondary Framework). Likely they just wanted a handful of decent spells in for people to play around with.

Lightning Bolt
3 evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (100-foot line)
Target: Self (100-foot line)
Components: V S M (A bit of fur and a rod of amber, crystal, or glass)
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
A stroke of lightning forming a line 100 feet long and 5 feet wide blasts out from you in a direction you choose. Each creature in the line must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 8d6 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The lightning ignites flammable objects in the area that aren’t being worn or carried.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot above 3rd.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Did I miss any big ones
Shield? O_o

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
Some of the spells on this list need to be homebrew for 5th edition as I copied them from pathfinder without realizing some of them don't exist in this version, my bad.

old hand
old hand
We also lack Four Elements Disciplines spells like Water Whip or Fist of Unbroken Air, which I am keen on, but we don't have any big hints to the monk class at all...
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Did I miss any big ones
Shield? O_o

We also lack Four Elements Disciplines spells like Water Whip or Fist of Unbroken Air, which I am keen on, but we don't have any big hints to the monk class at all...

P
addict
addict
P
Some of the spells on this list need to be homebrew for 5th edition as I copied them from pathfinder without realizing some of them don't exist in this version, my bad.

Ah, for a second I thought we had another "Trap the Soul" situation. The first printing of the PHB had a spell in the Wizard list that doesn't exist in the book. It was removed in the second printing.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus
we don't have any big hints to the monk class at all...
Start at 12:57

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Niara
Sleet Storm - 3rd level (and it makes a terrain effect that makes people fall prone, so I'm flabbergasted that Larian didn't put this one in already... it's right up their alley.)

My druid got Sleet Storm as a third level spell, not sure what other classes should get it? It does seem a bit bugged as it doesn’t work properly on uneven ground (it seems to just create a flat surface rather than coating the terrain) but it’s there.

I did miss an animal summon (Summon Beast I think is level 2) as a druid, but the way Flaming Sphere has been implemented as a summon perhaps makes it unnecessary except thematically.

Originally Posted by FreeTheSlaves
- Detect magic and Identify; will Larian implement this subsystem? I guess the better question is, does it bring more fun to the game?

I’ve said elsewhere that I’d like Detect Magic to work to highlight containers with magical items in as well as items themselves to help focus looting. Identify could be fun if only required occasionally for rare or unique items, where the party couldn’t pass an arcana check (it was just a chore in the original BG games, especially the first, so I wouldn’t want them to be used as a model).

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
addict
addict
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen

My druid got Sleet Storm as a third level spell, not sure what other classes should get it?

Sorcerer and Wizard as well. I've just checked and they all do have access to it.

Which is worth checking, I'm still waiting on clerics having access to Calm Emotions.

I don't know if there are other instances of certain spells not being available to certain classes when they should?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus
we don't have any big hints to the monk class at all...
Start at 12:57

Ah thank you Rag. Too bad no real animations. Larian seems possesed with dices and cubes and boxes (Shape the Flowing River)... At least multiclassing is indirectly confirmed I saw it in the dialogues 6th [Monk] ... 7. [Bard] ... Anyway, I assume such a choice of answer options.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
My druid got Sleet Storm as a third level spell, not sure what other classes should get it? It does seem a bit bugged as it doesn’t work properly on uneven ground (it seems to just create a flat surface rather than coating the terrain) but it’s there.

Fair enough - I've not checked and was just commenting on what the poster mentioned. That issue you describe though isn't a problem with sleet storm specifically, it's an issue endemic to all of Larian's effects - the game is ultimately two-dimensional, and all effects are two-dimensional. Sleep is a flat 2D circle, that will hit one goblin out of three if they are standing right next to each other on a set of steps, even if they all have 1 hit point, because it only effects the 'slice' that it's on, which is a 2d plane. The same is true of other AoE spells, and it's been an issue with Larian's game engine from before BG3.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
That issue you describe though isn't a problem with sleet storm specifically, it's an issue endemic to all of Larian's effects - the game is ultimately two-dimensional, and all effects are two-dimensional. Sleep is a flat 2D circle, that will hit one goblin out of three if they are standing right next to each other on a set of steps, even if they all have 1 hit point, because it only effects the 'slice' that it's on, which is a 2d plane. The same is true of other AoE spells, and it's been an issue with Larian's game engine from before BG3.

Oh, really?! Perhaps I just noticed it with Sleet Storm because it has such a wide radius and lasts a while. Sounds like there are some issues with Larian’s engine handling 3D effects for spells but hopefully they’ll put the effort into fixing this for full release. It was a noticeable restriction on the utility of Sleet Storm and clearly isn’t great for other spells either.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"

Link Copied to Clipboard