Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I was hyped AF for the game watching the entire thing, can't believe the game looks so polished after such a short development time...

But this one choice option has me a bit worried.

[Rogue] "I offer to pick the lock for her".

Um...

That would have made perfect sense to set up that way in the systems Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 used, but it seems a bit... strange... to use in a 5e game? Rogues can of course be better at lockpicking than anyone else if they want to be, but everybody CAN gain proficiency in Theives' Tools through something like their background. So it seems a bit strange that that decision is, or at least looks to be, locked to the rogue class.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It isn't locked to the rogue class. But it was a dialog decision for the rogue to offer to the cleric. The cleric may not have had the skill to pick the lock and failed thus started to beat the door. The rogue offered to pick the lock but then realized he didn't have any lock picking tools to pick the lock and this went searching for some.

He would have come back and picked the lock if he had found the tools he needed.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Ummm...

The usual format of these kind of decisions is;

[Pre-requisite] "The thing you can do if you meet it."

All of those dialogue options are from the rogue's point of view at that moment in time, not just that one.

So, my concern is, if a different player were to reach that same scene but as a Wizard with the criminal background and thus Lockpicking from there, from what I can tell, the option to offer to pick the lock would not appear because they are not a rogue.

And, well, that doesn't really make sense.

It's most likely just an oversight since they seem to be drawing on older BG games for inspiration, but it's something to point out to them because this is one area where 5e works very differently to, like, 2e.

veteran
veteran
OK so calling the game "polished" is an overstatement - it is using a completed engine, with improvements. It is definitely rough.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I would imagine that it comes from having proficiency with the thieves toolkit.
While you can pick a lock without it you normally wouldn't offer to do it if you aren't sure you can.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I said it LOOKED polished, Ansem :p

The models and everything look great and even with an engine made that's a lot of work, particularly since not much of their stock library from D:OS will translate to the sorts of monsters and clothing styles found in D&D

As for what you just said, Madja... That's how I'm hoping it works, but if that was the case now, wouldn't it then be

[Theives' tools] "I offered to pick the lock"

not

[Rogue] "I offered to pick the lock"

?

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard