Larian Banner
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Baldur's Gate III - Suggestions & Feedback Jump to new posts
Re: this camera control is gawd awful too limited Etruscan 42 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Flooter
BG3’s map density is good for pacing, like a DM saying “the party walks for a while and gets to the village.” But this utilitarian approach is what gives off theme park vibes.

The maps are built like networks, with points of interest connected by corridors. The player still has to travel but never gets to wonder what would happen if they wandered off the beaten path. They can only ever choose left or right when the minimap reveals a fork in the road.

There are other things which give the maps an air of artificiality. The obvious difference in scale between corridors and encounter areas; the deliberate placement of bridges, gates and jumps to mark new zones; the disconnect between the camp and the world.

Timelessness is the other half of the theme park problem. Since the map design isn’t going to change, Larian can’t get away with a world where not even the sun moves without the player’s imput.

You absolutely nailed it here. I also feel that BG3 is really missing open expanses of city or wilderness to explore in whichever direction one desires, not simply maps with paths through them. The latter give an illusion of choice but actually it’s really quite railroaded.
23 598 Read More
Re: Question for Modder's- can you Remove 5th edition? LostSoul 1 hour ago
If you look at nexusmods it will give an idea of what mods can currently accomplish. Adding classes, spells, feats, fightingstyles, changing items, crafting etc are already in mods.
19 667 Read More
Divinity - Original Sin 2 - Latest News Jump to new posts
Re: iPad/Steam Cross Save Now Available! v. 3.6.117.3735 RRs 1 hour ago
Hi. I am not sure where to post this exactly but I have v. 3.6.117.3735 GOG version and no matter how many times I have tried to install it. I get an installation fail message and saying to contact the software manufacturer. That being said.

MacBook Pro 16" 32gb/1TB 10/32 core less than a week old

I have tried to install it onto the internal storage and external storage all with the same failure results. I can not find any solutions and only have come across one other person from searching for a solution only to have the same issue as I.

Any help in solving this would be really welcomed.

DOS Original installs fine, just not DOS 2.
7 7,314 Read More
Baldur's Gate III - General Jump to new posts
Re: Poll: Are you playing BG3 the way you wish it could be played? SerraSerra 3 hours ago
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Psychological effect. Players limit their Long Rest because they realise that food, and thus Long Rest, is a potentially-limited resource, and they fear they might run short at some point.
This only works for so long. A couple of hours in, players realise that they are sitting on mountains of food. Unlike gold, which we will almost inevitably end up impossibly-rich with because I don't think I've seen a video game where the "gold curve" remains credible past the early game, and which we will surely hoard because that's what gold is for, I guess, and, who knows, maybe in this game the best gear will be bought instead of looted, so ... unlike gold, food can't be used for purchasing anything else than Long Rests. That means that once we've figured out how frequently we long rest and how abundant food is, there is no more reason to save food just-in-case. We can spend it fairly carelessly.

Yeah well, you're generalizing a bit too much perhaps. Not my proudest moments but I am one of those people who finishes the OG BG games with insane number of consumable items in their inventory because 'better to hoard, you never know if you might need it later on'. Although a minority, I know there's more of us, OCD inventory hoarders than you might think. (off topic, that's actually a piece of data analysis I would like Larian to present to us near release, like average consumable consumption and looting behavior of players and stuff).
22 625 Read More
Re: d&d is good but i'm not sold on the class system GM4Him 4 hours ago
Originally Posted by D1spl@yN@me
Originally Posted by Niara
Just for the sake of clarity and correct information:
you're not correct.

Originally Posted by D1spl@yN@me
in early versions you could be a fighter/magic-user/thief a multi-class character, then they tossed that out,
Originally Posted by Niara
No, they haven't; in fact it's easier to multi-class than ever, now, and the spread of extra options, class subtypes and feats make it very feasible to create a hybridised and flexible character in almost any way you want, fully within the class system.

there is no multi-class anymore. That's an oldschool system. In baldur's gate 1 I could create a new character, an elf fighter/magic-user, for example. Then when I get xp I have to divide the xp among both classes instead of 1.

You're being totally divisive in every possible way. Basically whenever I make a comment, you butt in and tell me how wrong I am.. That seems to be fine with you. This is more than once that you have done this.

I don't get why you have to try and discredit and beat down anything I say on this forum. It's intolerable. I'm not enjoying this forum under these conditions.

Unless this stops. I'm just going to stop posting on the forum. That's not what larian really wants. For you to drive away people who have paid and have a right to express their viewpoints here.

I have no choice but to report you in hopes that you will stop your divisive commenting.

Please, Display. I think you need to take a step back and try to calm down. Maybe reread people's posts and don't take them so personal. Try to read them with a different tone in mind.

Niara is referring to D&D 5e in which you CAN multi-class easily. Larian has also said that multiclassing will be a thing. It just isn't during EA right now.

Seriously, people are trying to tell you that you are being the aggressive one, and yet you're still being very defensive. We're trying to have friendly conversation with you. I'm objectively reading the posts, and so far, I don't see anyone insulting or attacking you. For the most part, they're disagreeing with you or pointing out flaws in your arguments, but that's not the same thing. I haven't seen one person say that you're an idiot or that you're stupid or anything insulting. It might just be the way you're reading it.

I agree with Niara's statement that a game without rules is not a game. Trying to play chess with someone who just moves all the pieces however they want is no fun and frustrating, and though we're not playing together, we are forced to play the same game. Larian COULD, of course, create all sorts of options so people can play the way they want, but that only goes so far.

Part of the issue with BG3 currently is that Larian is trying to please everyone and thus not sticking to a solid rule system. So, the game is kinda a mess from a mechanics perspective. Throwing out the fundamental class system would only butcher the game completely. That's what many are trying to tell you.
42 899 Read More
Re: There has been a huge leak of Commander Legends: Battle For Baldur's Gate Spoiler Alert RagnarokCzD 5 hours ago
It is explained in comics ... mindreaker was its name i believe?

Basicaly its not him ...
Its his (theirs?) statue that was brought to life after stuck by bolt of wild magic ...

Here:
https://images.app.goo.gl/NGQ4u8ecVjbzgUf66
51 3,369 Read More
Re: Playing as Monster Races Kou The Mad 7 hours ago
Oh neat, good on them for that.
148 9,769 Read More
Re: How to improve the resting and the fast travel system and a few other things. Detailed suggestion Stabbey 7 hours ago
I definitely think Short Rests need to be improved into something which is much closer to the pen and paper version. Healing should be based on hit dice, which you can spend one at a time, or use "auto" which spends as many as it takes to get you up to full, Arcane Recovery should be a thing. I don't know if attunement will be in this game, but if it is, short or long rests should be how you attune to items.

Solasta does short rests very well, although I think it has them unlimited, and a limit of 2 or 3 in BG3 would be better.

Solasta also has designated long rest camps, although they might be a little generous (save for the final dungeon which has a ton of encounters with no camps - although the game did warn you that there would be no time for long resting).

I don't have solid opinions on the best way to handle long rests in BG 3, with all the story stuff during long rests. Long rests should recover half your maximum hit dice pool.
12 563 Read More
Re: New “lightning” items Ranxerox Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Originally Posted by Etruscan
You know, I just don't understand why they created more work for themselves.

I think the answer is pretty simple; as Swen stated ,their intention was to use the D&D/BG IP to reach a bigger audience and to put their own slant on the BG saga. They could have referenced or even used the source material but they haven't, so we can only assume they no interest in doing so and will continue to do what they are already familiar with. I used to love getting rare items in the original games with the wonderful little bits of background blurb. Even the parchment style interface was a nice touch of immersion. Larian's colour coded weapons just feel like they are from a MMO.

Given Swen's insistence that players want fireworks and explosions, does he also think that a plain +1 weapon or armour is boring? I'd have to hazard a guess at yes.

OMG. Is that people's answer for everything? I'm tired of hearing it.

My point was they had a SLEW of magic items they could use so it could have been easier on them. Instead, they are reinventing the wheel at every turn and often it isn't working.

Look at this list. Tell me these weapons are boring:

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Magical_Weapons

Why waste money and time inventing weapons to see if they work when you have so many at your disposal to choose from?

That list is incredible, thanks for the link, and I agree it would be awesome to see some of these in the game for both fun and immersion.
58 3,277 Read More
Baldur's Gate III - Technical & Gameplay Problems Jump to new posts
[BUG] Misleading Outline For AoE Spells gaymer Yesterday at 10:11 PM
Several spells show they cover targets in the range/radius, but when you cast it they do not.
0 27 Read More
Re: BG3 Fan Fiction SPOILERS and POTENTIAL SPOILERS GM4Him Yesterday at 10:07 PM
Blog updated.

Part 14 - the Conclusion is done. Sniff. Sniff. Now what am I gonna do with my free time?

Here's the link: https://baldursgate3theafflicted.blogspot.com/?m=1

Hope you all enjoy it.

If you liked this fan fic and the blog and would like to read more of my stories, please let me know. It's been fun. Many blessings to you all!
75 6,157 Read More
Baldur's Gate III - Mega-threads and Guides Jump to new posts
Re: Day/Night Cycle virion Yesterday at 09:53 PM
Apparently implementing it requires deep changes in their engine. And since BG3 is running on upgraded DOS2 engine one can only pray to god Larian got enought money from EA sales to start working on the said changes. We will never know until release. The only thing we know is the above( confirmed by modders, composer here on the forum + Sven who said pre-BG3 EA release the game won't have a day/night cycle).

"Lastly, not doing it would be a huge missed opportunity. This game could sell ten million copies if done right and Larian know it." It already sold millions copies and it's like...not even done. Like at all. 70% of the game are missing lol.
So for me that little fact is the light at the end of the tunnel.
249 19,708 Read More
Re: Game not loading at all anymore Phaded Yesterday at 09:32 PM
I'll re post this here, checking almost every day for a damn fix to no avail. Maybe something here will work for you...

For me the saves stop working as soon as you crash on the beach in the beginning, they seem to work before that, from a new game i can load just fine as long as I dont close out the program or go to the main menu, as soon as i do that the loads stop working...when I reported the problem I tried every solution they could think of and i still cant get it working. Its been happening since the barbarian patch. This is what they recommend.

On Tue, 12 Apr at 3:10 AM , BG3 Support <supportbg3@larian.com> wrote:
Are you shutting down all non-essential programs (especially anti-virus) before starting the game? Firewalls can cause conflicts (generally on startup or loading screens) and overlays from graphics tweaking/monitoring programs or chat programs can also cause issues.

Try dropping the graphics settings, lower the resolution and switch to Windowed display mode, to see if that makes a difference.

If you start a new game, can you make a manual save and load it properly? Moving a bit from the initial character position can trigger an auto save, which might overwrite one from your current playthrough.
If that works, can you then load the latest save from your current playthrough?

Try browsing to the 'C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\LevelCache' folder and delete the contents. A corrupt file there can cause problems, usually when saving or loading. The easiest way to get there would be to copy the line below into the location bar in Explorer and hit Enter.
%LocalAppData%\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\LevelCache

In the launcher, try switching between DirectX 11 and Vulkan, as applicable, to see if that makes a difference.

Try exiting out of the Steam client and starting the game directly from the '..\SteamApps\common\Baldurs Gate 3\bin' folder, by right clicking the executable (bg3.exe for Vulkan, or bg3_dx11.exe) and running as administrator.
Try right clicking the executable, select Properties, switch to the Compatibility tab and check off the 'Override high DPI scaling behavior' option (set it to Application), run as administrator and disable fullscreen optimization, and maybe set a Win 7 or 8 compatibility mode. In Windows 7, check off the option to 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings', disable desktop composition and run as administrator.

If that doesn't help, please reply with your latest save (or a Dropbox or Google drive link, etc).
In Explorer you can zip a file or folder by right clicking on it/them and selecting 'Send To | Compressed (zipped) Folder'.
Each save is a folder in the 'C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\PlayerProfiles\<ProfileName>\Savegames\Story' folder. The fastest way to get there would probably be to copy the line below into the location bar in Explorer and hit Enter, then browse down from there.
%LocalAppData%\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\PlayerProfiles

Please also include a dxdiag report (WinKey-R, type in dxdiag and hit enter, then when it finishes loading click on the 'Save All Information...' button and save the report somewhere handy).
9 384 Read More
Re: Party Size Discussion kanisatha Yesterday at 06:14 PM
Party of 6 allows players to play party of 4 if they want. Won't hurt party of 4 players at all. But in reverse, limiting to party of 4 means us party of 6-ers CAN'T play as we want.
Yup.
1,824 178,540 Read More
Re: Are any good alighment companions in plans? Rouoko Yesterday at 02:08 PM
I have read story about lich that became Paladin even if using light hurt him. He was helping people in need. That's why I play as a CG kobold paladin in dnd.
119 3,271 Read More
Re: Playing BG3 with an old pc? 0Muttley0 Yesterday at 11:20 AM
You could always play the Stadia version. Ive played that on my chromebook
12 293 Read More
Baldur's Gate III - Latest News Jump to new posts
Re: Pre-Patch Announcement Ikke Yesterday at 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Archaven
They look so beautiful and wish if they have that look. Love Laezel look the most.

Somehow i can not imagine Lae'zel wearing lip gloss and looking so serene at the same time.
50 13,054 Read More
Re: Short Rest Poll GM4Him 23/05/22 05:23 PM
I'm telling you that it's backwards. Limiting SR to 2 per day encourages LR more because you can LR as much as you want without any limit or penalty. Makes no sense because ALL classes benefit from LR while only a few from SR.

So, it literally makes no sense to SR. None. It's ONLY benefit is convenience - 1 button click for a half-butt heal as opposed to a full heal for 10 seconds of game time.
96 2,200 Read More
no multiplayer? klinover 23/05/22 11:52 AM
my sister and i picked up this game a few days ago and honestly love the concept but we're unable to play multiplayer at all in patch seven, in patch 6 it works 1/100(not exaggerating) times. once we're connected there's no problem and everything works great but the initial connection, if it even happens, takes upto an hour or so.
0 57 Read More
Re: So what now? Tuco 22/05/22 09:16 PM
I don't really plan to "refund" the game to begin with.
In fact, I wouldn't want to do it even if I was offered the option now, almost two years of EA later.
With all its flaws, I'm still rather confident that BG3 will AT WORST be a game I will enjoy spend time over with a first playthrough.

Which may sound like a big endorsement at first glance, but in reality I'm meaning what I'm conceding here mostly as "certification of acceptability". Because while I don't particularly doubt BG3 will be a somewhat competent and reasonably enjoyable CRPG, at the same time I kinda gave up on any hope to see it turn into the modern classic I wanted it to be at first.

For several reasons, frankly, starting with Larian's stubbornness with sticking with the worst control scheme ever used in a traditional CRPG, and moving to a good half dozen of other talking point I already discussed at nauseam for the past two years.

All this aside, I have to admit I'm strongly under the impression this final rush of development will coincide with a lot of unintended cuts over the original plans.
The rate of improvement over the almost-two-years of EA so far has been concerningly slow despise the EA itself being far longer than anyone expected at first.
Even assuming "a lot was done behind the curtain that never came to our fruition", it's hard to believe that what they have is considerably different than what they are offering to us to test... Aside for all the content past Act 1, obviously.
61 3,868 Read More
Baldur's Gate III - Help Tips & Tricks Jump to new posts
Re: Using crafting stations, ugh... Flooter 22/05/22 03:42 PM
There’s only one spot on one sussur tree that has what you need (no lumberjack needed). When you find that one tree, your map will be updated with a quest marker. Then you need to find the one interactable spot. Fair warning: that spot is defended.
6 291 Read More
Re: Camping and resting. GM4Him 22/05/22 12:42 PM
Now, as far as point 6 goes, the idea is overlapping triggers - but things they've already established in the game.

Example: You reach the Grove and visit Nadira - pink haired tiefling. You look through the telescope and see Waukeen's Rest. It's NOT on fire. Why? Because if it was, and you long rest, it shouldn't be on fire anymore. So, when looking through the telescope for the first time, you see a nice, not on fire inn. Once you go there and trigger the entire save people from the fire side quest, if you go back and look through the telescope, now it's a smoldering ruin.

Example: Ritual takes 3 days. You long rest for the first time. Raphael happens. You long rest for the second time, you have a Dream Lover dream. You long rest a third time. Rath has interrupted the ritual and is imprisoned. You long rest a fourth time. Ah. Nothing happens. You long rest a fifth time. Lae'zel warns she might leave if you don't go to the Gith patrol that day. You long rest a sixth time. Mol has stolen the idol and is in hiding. The druids and tieflings are close to all out war. You still haven't gone to the Gith patrol so Lae'zel takes off. You long rest a seventh time. Dream Lover Dream 2. You head to the Gith patrol and find Lae'zel nearby, wounded by the goblin raid on Waukeen's Rest. She rejoins your party. You face the patrol. You long rest an eighth time. A tiefling approaches you at camp. "The situations's getting worse. Do something soon or else we're doomed."

It doesn't have to be EXACTLY like this, but the point is that different events are triggered on different days, overlapping one another. Then, later in the game, in the Underdark, when time isn't as prevalent in the story, you can flipping long rest as much as you want, but every now and then, another dream sequence or something similar to remind you that you have an ultimate quest and you just keep wasting time.

Again, think of what this would do.

1. There would be time, or some sense of time.
2. No real rest limits, but things happen based on using long rests.
3. Replayability. Each play through could be different because you do things differently on different days.

So instead of limiting LR, you are encouraged to long rest at different times for each playthrough to see what happens.

And before you say that it'll be too much work, let me ask this. Is it more work than having to go back to the drawing board again and again because you just can't find a system that works? Also notice that the suggestion takes elements already in game and uses them, like the dream lover dreams. Yes, a few more cutscenes and such, but in the end a truly replayable experience and no hard LR or SR limits.
578 38,976 Read More
Re: Please let me be immersed Sharet 20/05/22 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by virion
Metamorphosis project monthly meeting:
"The process is going as planned. It's total efficacy and speed has been significantly increased up to 300%! Sucessful completion is now possible within a week"
" Great, great! Gentlemans, but what happens once they change?"
Confused looks.
" They...become mindflayers?"
" Naked mindflayers, I'm afraid".
*Noises of horror, someone pukes in the corner of the room"
"Josh, include clothe conjuration spell in the process"
"Of course my tentacleness!"

That made me chuckle, thank you! laugh
88 2,573 Read More
Divinity - Original Sin 2 - Bugs & Technical Problems Jump to new posts
Re: Can't disable cloud sync for DOS2 in GOG Galaxy seymoregutz 20/05/22 04:32 AM
I usually don't have nay problems with GOG games either, but I bought my copy of DOS2 DE from them and didn't have a good time. it was slow, choppy and dithered, as if there was a frame rate issue or something {I'm not that knowledgeable with computers as I was in the beginning WIN98SE }. we recently bought the Nintendo Switch and the other day, I got a notification that they were offering it......so I got a copy from them. sounds crazy I know, but it looks good next to Diablo 2 enhanced edition smile it runs as smooth as silk and I've made it much farther than I did with the GOG copy. it has to have something to do with the cloud thing....first time I've ever done anything associated to it.
2 317 Read More
Re: what button do i have to press to reveal ALL of the interactables not just the loot corpses Wormerine 19/05/22 07:02 PM
I suspect items might be manually tagged to be highlighted. What I know that I didn’t find chest with something worthwhile in it that wasn’t highlighted. As such current implementation saves me a lot of time sifting through useles boxes.

It might not be a perfect solution, or might be a symptom of a larger design problem, but at least myself I find it to be an improvement over D:OS2.
4 238 Read More
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5