Larian Studios

The worst game installation process (GTA4)

Posted By: Morbo

The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 03/12/08 07:18 PM

I don't play a lot of games. My last one was the witcher and before that it was GTA:SA. So GTA4 is out for pc and I bought the game.

For the last 2,5 hours I've been trying to play the game. So I need to vent

Installation 20 min.
registering rockstar socioal club (not to happy but so what)15 min
linking my account to windows games 1,8 hours
- creating a windows live account
- figuring out I need a windows live game account -> WHY MS is teh evil
- going trough al the hoops
- entering serial
- DVD has to be in the drive
- linking the game acount to the rockstar account -> again WHY?
- getting f'ed in the ass

Dear God, I knew it was goiong to be bad. But this is freaking unbelevable. I'm not buying an other game that uses this. I hope there will be a crack soon so that I can play it without having the DVD in at least.
Posted By: Elliot_Kane

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 03/12/08 08:48 PM

Sounds like a real horror show, Morbo \:\(
Posted By: Raze

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 03/12/08 09:13 PM

Rockstar Rolls with SecuROM DRM for Grand Theft Auto IV on the PC

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 03/12/08 09:32 PM

And now I can't start the game.

Faulting application GTAIV.exe, version 1.0.0.0, time stamp 0x49189a0c, faulting module ...
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 03/12/08 09:39 PM

I can feel the anger up to here.
Posted By: The Endless

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 03/12/08 10:16 PM

Are you sure they actually want you to play the game? That perhaps it really is evil and originally invented by the devil - just for you to want to throw your computer out of the window?!

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 03/12/08 10:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZhWd6nvcWc

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 03/12/08 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: The Endless
Are you sure they actually want you to play the game? That perhaps it really is evil and originally invented by the devil - just for you to want to throw your computer out of the window?!

My pc is 2 weeks old \:\(
Posted By: The Endless

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 03/12/08 10:24 PM

Who said the computers are not really a part of the devils plot too -

But honestly - a 2 week old computer ... that is a bummer!
Posted By: Raze

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 04/12/08 06:45 AM

Grand Theft Auto IV PC Release Full of Bugs

Steam forums How To Get GTAIV Running

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 04/12/08 07:21 AM

Originally Posted By: The Endless
Are you sure they actually want you to play the game? That perhaps it really is evil and originally invented by the devil

Pretty sure SecuROM internet edition is...

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 04/12/08 09:08 PM

Quote:
So, unless you want to pay $50 for a glorified beta test, wait a couple weeks before taking the plunge

it's true

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 26/12/08 10:13 AM

Completed the game:

Disappointment of the year!

They went all for realism and grapics and forgot the fun actor

this one share my critisism

http://www.videogamer.com/features/article/06-05-2008-396-1.html?commentspage=
Posted By: LewsTherinKinslayer13

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 29/12/08 05:28 AM

I basically got to the point where you have the high-rise apartment and then just drove around with guns and killed people and re-loaded my save when I died. Just had competitions with friends who could kill the most. I forgot there was a story, got bored with it. And that damn cellphone / friends factor is annoying as hell.

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 29/12/08 06:19 AM

I stopped playing GTA4 and started the withcer again.

I don't get the fact that all the games are taking the realism approach.

Reality sucks, thats why we play games that are supposed to be FUN. Wait this bears repeating

Games are supposed to be FUN!

The last year it has been one dissapointment after an other with the games I bought. (With the witcher beeing the shiny light in these dark ages, to convince me that PC gaming is not dead(yet)).

Mass effect -> sry but a main quest of 6 or 7 subquest that you play out in 1.5 day is not a game -> I've got flash games that took longer! (Yes I know there are otional quests, but why would you play them, money enough ...)

fallout 3 -> This is my fault, I connvinced myself that fallout would not be oblivion (or as I would like to call it Elder scrolls: Walk Sim). I was wrong, it was. ([sarcasm]And the color pallette that goes from dark brown to light brown is nice[/sarcasm])

I don't knwo why they get so high review marks. Maybe my standards have rissen unreasonably high or maybe I am subcontiously comparing them with the witcher (one of the best if not best game ever). At least when you walk over a field in the withcer you are swarmed with enemies.
Posted By: HandEFood

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 29/12/08 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Morbo
Games are supposed to be FUN!

I'll argue that games should either be fun or an experience, which I suppose in itself is fun. Does GTA4 have moments where things are really difficult, really fast paced, where you're never quite sure if you're going to survive or not? That can work far better in a realistic setting than a fun setting, and still be fun.

Reading your post more thoroughly, I see you're providing a good example in Witcher. \:\)

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 30/12/08 12:21 AM

Witcher is awesome, yeah \:\)

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 30/12/08 06:49 PM

Quote:
"The history of gaming technology has been one long quest for total realism, but now [that] we're on the verge of it, I'm seeing that it's probably not worth the effort. The ultra-realistic games of recent years have been one long gritty depressing gray-a-thon after another, and it's up to games like Saints Row 2 to remind us that realism is an acceptable sacrifice if it means I get to throw old ladies into jet turbines."

— Zero Punctuation on Saints Row 2

His reviews are hilarious.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 30/12/08 09:18 PM

Realism in violence - yes, in other games - no ?

This reminds me of Terry Pratchett, who wrote a book about a young girl who's becoming a witch, who (as he expülicitely pointed out in one interview) measured it out if an oven could be used for baking children by an old witch. Not that any of the witch-accusers in this story had tried this measuring out before ... They preferred to cling to "non-realism" ...

Posted By: Maciej

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 09/10/09 07:37 PM

you just can disconnect your internet cabel on time of instalation ;\)
Posted By: aarne

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 11/10/09 06:53 PM

Only thing I loved in that game was direct wall hits that was fun to watch but the game was still dissapointment.
Posted By: Rythok

Re: The worst game installation process (GTA4) - 16/10/09 03:01 AM

Saint's Row 2 is, imo, a GTA clone that is better at being GTA than GTA4 :P Hell it even has coop so you can share that insane, over the top, non-realistic violence with a friend, which makes the experience incredible. What's even better, the two players are not held together by invisible chains, both of them can be at complete opposite sides of the city and still do whatever they like. Your friend just gets teleported to you if he chooses the positive option in a prompt that appears when one starts a mission.

But as with GTA4, be advised that the PC port apparently runs very poorly. I actually played it on the xbox360.

Still I think the PC version was 5$ on direct2drive recently, dunno if it still is. For 5$ the apparently crappy PC version might be worth a try.
© 2020 Larian Studios forums