Larian Studios
hello, my laptop is a bit slow compared to my work needs. So I decided to add more ram to it. hmm i have an extra ram from my old laptop. I decided to install it but after reboot I did not see that ram in my laptop. I do not know how to do it. I need some help.hello, my laptop is a bit slow compared to my work needs. So I decided to add more ram to it. hmm i have an extra ram from my old laptop. I decided to install it but after reboot I did not see that ram in my laptop. I do not know how to do it. I need some help.

Does the RAM show up in the BIOS? There should be a key or key combination to get into the BIOS early in the boot process, before Windows starts to load (Esc, F2 and F8 are commonly used, but usually there is a message listing the key shown briefly during the boot process).

Check your laptop manufacturer's support site for RAM compatibility and the BIOS manual.
Sometimes RAM may physically fit in the slot but may not be compatible. It will say something like PC6400 or DDR3-10600 etc which indicates what speed it runs at. Memory should ideally be matched but usually fitting RAM that runs at a faster speed in a slower laptop works e.g PC6400 will work in PC5300 system but not the other way round.

If the RAM physically fits at least it's the same type, as DDR2, DDR3 and DDR4 all use different slots and are physically incompatible.

Laptops are more finicky over what RAM you put in them than desktops and some brands (although this is going back some time) will only work with RAM with specific latency timings. This is indicated by 3 or 4 numbers separated by dashes e.g 3-4-3 or 2-2-2.

Please tell us what your existing RAM is and what you intend to fit.
You may need to update the BIOS and enable the ram in the BIOS in order to use them
© Larian Studios forums