Larian Studios
Posted By: galneon Frequent sound dropout after 10-15 minutes - 16/06/07 03:12 AM
After about 10 minutes of gameplay, I am forced to exit the game and relaunch it. It usually happens after I load a saved game, like if I'm in a particularly tough fight on hardcore and have to quicksave and quickload frequently. Music remains, but all other sound effects cease. This eliminates it being some weird codec problem as the oggs are the only thing that continue to play. Lowering sound acceleration doesn't work, all my drivers and up to date, and there's nothing strange about my setup. The soundcard is an Audigy 2ZS and probably isn't the problem. I'd more interested in hearing if others have encountered a similar problem (I found two or three references after searching the forum, but they were vague and from 2004) than I am being troubleshooted for configuration errors. So, has anyone seen this problem?

Currently playing with the .exe patched to use only one of my CPU cores by default... I'll test more and report back, and if it works, you can bet there will be similar threads in the future as more people get dualcore processors.
Disabling one of the processor cores seems to prevent the problem from happening. I'll keep this thread around and post my solution as more people with X2s will probably have this problem. (AMD's sync fix doesn't always prevent problems) You can manually disable one core by launching the game, pressing alt-tab, then ctrl+alt+del from desktop and start the task manager. From there, click on div.exe and make sure there's a checkmark only by CPU 0 in the affinity menu. You have to do that everytime you play with this method... What I did instead was use a program called imagecfg, which you can easily find, to patch the .exe to use one core by default. If you download it, throw it in \\windows\system32, go to 'run' on the start menu, type cmd, then adapt the following to your game directory path: 'imagecfg -0x1 c:\program files\beyond divinity\div.exe' and that's it.
Posted By: Raze Re: Frequent sound dropout after 10-15 minutes - 19/06/07 05:13 AM
Tkanks for the update.

A few people have had sound problems with Divine Divinity on multi-core systems, which in a couple cases could be fixed by setting the game to use a single core (Sound errors with static - maybe fix found).
Yeah, same thing I did, only I patched the exectuable with imagecfg to default to single core. That program in your link seems to do the same, though it may act as a loader rather than a patcher.
© Larian Studios forums