Larian Studios

Some things I think could help fixing !

Posted By: RedruM

Some things I think could help fixing ! - 03/05/04 09:44 PM

EDIT : MOST THINGS I SAY HERE WERE BEFORE PATCH 1.4, HOWEVER, I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY OF THE THINGS I'VE SAID BETWEEN THE LIST OF 1.4 FIXES, SO IF ANYBODY WHO IS BEGINNING THE GAME CAN RECREATE THESE THINGS, PLEASE POST IN THIS THREAD ! THANK YOU ! ALTHOUGH SEEING THE LIST, THEY SHOULD STILL BE THERE !
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just bought the game today, and I wanna say it ownz.

Installed the latest patcb but still I already found some weird things. Here goes.

In the beginning of the game, when you have to find proof that Edmond is dead, I went to those rats, and I slayed the one with the bone just at the entrance of that cell, when I wanted to pick it up, it wasn't possible, I also couldn't walk out of the cell anymore, which was annoying. It blocked the way and made me reload, I killed the rat in the cell and everything went well. Could be fixed though !

Then, moving the screen with the mouse AND minimap enabled in the bottom left corner (any corner) for example, can be sometimes annoying too. You can scroll the screen normally by just moving the mouse to the edge of the screen. But if you put the minimap for example at the bottom left corner, and you want to scroll the screen diagonally in that direction (bottom left), then the screen doesn't move, the trigger is like blocked by the minimap. No big problem, still can get annoying, hope you guys fix it !

The zooming option is a nice touch, but you should even out the zooming a little more, maybe it's just me or my mouse (logitech mx500) but when I zoom in with the wheel, I have 3 zooms, one a little closer, 2nd more closer, and 3rd, SUPERZOOM. Why not some more levels of zooming, like 4 or 5 (not more then 6 though !!!), so you can zoom in on the wanted level, the zooming would be an even nicer touch then !

Now for the plusses
I played Divine Divinity, and when comparing, I must say NICE JOB. Voice acting is quite good I think. Music is even better then in Divine Divinity, A LOT, which is quite unbelievable because Divine was already so good
The control system could have been done a bit nicer, but still, it's quite good and doesn't pose any problems (except for what I said above). SFX on par.

Good job, Love it (fix them lil bugs )

Posted By: Morbo

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 03/05/04 09:54 PM

Glad to hear you like the game. I am sure that some one at larian is reading your post make notice of it when they are developping .
Posted By: Raze

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 03/05/04 10:26 PM

For the problem scrolling the screen, move the minimap at least 1 pixel away from the edge, or avoid that corner for screen focus changes. You can order your characters to move by clicking on the minimap and move the minimap by clicking on the edges, so the game does not scroll the screen when the cursor is over the minimap, in case you are trying to move it.

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 04/05/04 01:03 AM

Yes I already found that one myself (about the map).

Still leaves the other 2

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 04/05/04 03:01 PM

I also found another thing annoying. Namely the cd-check. I mean, I'm all for buying games etc, but last time I started the game, it took 1 minute and 30 seconds before it started up, I remember Diablo(2) having same problems with the cd-check, and sometimes (in Diablo) the game wouldn't even start, I just hope it won't come as far as that !

You could compare it with music cd's nowadays, developers are trying to find new securities ALL the time, but people with older cd-drives may have problems with their new cd and it's security system which didn't even exist when the drive was made ...
Check is ok, but I hope it won't take that long every time I start the game, or I'll be looking for a no-cd crack fast (I bought the game !).

Sometimes I even question myself the following. Why do developers even TRY to make a check like this in this sort of game. Now ok, like I said before buying games is GOOD ! But ANYBODY knows there'll be a no-cd patch anyway, and most users (yes also the ones who buy their games) like to keep their cd nicely in the box, instead of it letting it grind out in de cd tray.
One example is Unreal Tournament, I mean, they have been incorporating no-cd patches in their patches for years now ... everybody welcomes this !

And as a side note, my cd drive is a LG drive : HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B
Not exactly THE oldest in the world ...
Watch out with those security checks, oh and did I mention it makes a HELL of a lot of noise when checking ... (and no my drives is A ok)

PS.: where's the screenshot function ... ?
Posted By: Jurak

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 04/05/04 05:33 PM

Quote:

PS.: where's the screenshot function ... ?

Don't tell me there is no screenshot function...
it's got to be there somewhere.....I hope!

Posted By: kiya

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 04/05/04 06:00 PM

None there - sorry. In order to make screenies I have to activate my PaintShopPro - but I have no probs dancing between Windows key, saving the screenie, activating it again and going back to the game. Very seldom had crashes during this procedure.

Though I hope, a screenie function will be implemented - just hoping.

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 12:31 PM

Euh, Kiya , ... none there ...

Don't let me laugh too hard plz.

The game is just out, I mean, there are going to be like another 3 patches or so probably. Don't tell me they find it too difficult to include this little function in a future patch, if so, then Larian is indeed backing down the stairs of famedom ...

Same goes for my other remarks.

Adding a screenshot function to the game would like, take an extra 50kb to program, OOOOH ...

It'd be a shame if they wouldn't !

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 01:29 PM

I found another annyoing thing.
I was walking around a room, and killed 1 skeleton. I then saw a skill book on the table near me, and at that moment there were no other enemies around.
I pick up the book, open my inventory, click on the book and it tells me what has just been added ... which perfectly works.
But while I was reading the little things which were added, I suddenly heard my DK taking hits from a enemy, normally no problem, my first immediate reaction was, PRESS SPACE TO PAUSE, so I can peacefully read the skills !
To my amazement, the PAUSE function DID NOT WORK while the skill books text was open ... something which could also be fixed ...
I myself always want to read a parchment fully before closing it, and in the case of a skill book, you can not read this twice. You do however get to see the actual changes in the skill point system offcourse.
Still, PAUSE should work ALWAYS, no matter which inventories or scrolls are open ...

Back to have some more fun (and to search them ugly bugs ).

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 01:49 PM

Again another mini mini bug (I think).

When saving (quick or full), the game doesn't save the corresponding screen with the save itself.
When you want to load the game, I always have the habit of lookin at the little screenie for the corresponding save, so I can see where I was I know there are dates ). Problem is, there are never little screens for the saves here. I always get a black little picture, instead of a mini pic showing where I was? Although it is very clear that there should be a picture ... just like in Divine Divinity ...

Maybe this has also something to do with the screenshot function not being in there ...

Fix it plz

Back to Beyond
Posted By: MonkehmaN

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 01:52 PM

ummm I have pictures next to my saves... even quick saves. Are we talking about the save menu? (either from ESCAPE >>> SAVE, or the 'S' Hotkey)? That's really weird... I know I have pictures next to mine, because I do the same as you and look at the picture first before the date.

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 01:57 PM

Yep, must be a REAL bug if you have them and I don't !

I have latest patch, and here is a screenie of what I mean :

This happens at the main menu, AND ingame ... never get screenies ...

Posted By: DoritoOfDeath

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 02:01 PM

I have no pictures in my saves either. It was also this way in the demo.

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 02:01 PM

Yep I definately get pictures where you have a black box. That's really strange. I use Windows XP, have DirectX 9.0b, is that the same as you?

I'll go try and take a screenshot, although i'm a bit newbie-ish at posting stuff like that in forums.

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 02:02 PM

Same. WinXP dx9.0b.

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 02:03 PM

That doesn't even bother me, the main problem I have with saves/restoring is when you restore and the whole automap and minimap are completely black. I've taken to saving at least 3x each time I save. Two quicksaves and one normal save. Otherwise you risk losing progress due to the total blackness. To be fair this may only be a battlefield issue, as I don't recall it happening outside of them.

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 02:05 PM

LoL, I'm finding bugs here at the speed of a bullet train !

Another thing I found annoying was when finding the book 'Holy tome, Holy book of Ranaar' :

After picking it up, I thaught I would find it back in my inventory, to my amazement it wasn't findable, I really thaught this was a bug at first, but after doing a search on the forum, I found out it adds 60 HP permanently.
All very good and all, but I'm quite sure that there are gonna be people who won't notice anything at first (like me) because there isn't any status update on screen saying that you just won 60HP, shouldn't it normally show a status message like in battles : '+60 HP' or something.
It's because I never saw that message that I even reloaded my game etc thinking it was a bug and that the book had vanished or something.
Could be made better ... patch ...

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 02:07 PM

Agreed. Luckily I save before doing stuff like that. I reloaded like 2x before I realized it had updated my HPS. At first I thought it did damage heh.

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 04:05 PM

Yep I have Win XP, Directx 9.0b, all the latest drivers.

It's not that those lil' bugs anger me or something, I just want to mention them so they can be pulled out of the game with the next patch.

Divine Divinity had exactly the same problems in the beginning ... they'll get ironed out. Especially if I keep on finding them at this rate

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 04:23 PM

Quote:

It's not that those lil' bugs anger me or something, I just want to mention them so they can be pulled out of the game with the next patch.

I just look at things logically before I panic and shout the word "Bug". Sometimes it can be my own PC / Drivers, hence why I asked about OS and DirectX.

I took the picture but have no host webspace btw. It just shows I have a save picture.

I played far too many MMORPG in beta btw (games of the devil) to pass time in University . The majority of bugs were conflicts between .exe / OS or something similar. On the other hand, MMORPG's are bug-city.

Just making suggestions before jumping to conclusions.

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 05:10 PM

Look MonkehmaN, I appreciate you helping, but all the things I say ARE bugs, and I NEVER PANIC !
I don't say these things to put the game down, and immediately the second after I find the error or bug, I always try to reproduce them, and my system is A OK. I have worked for a help desk where it was necessary to know a lot about a computers and the corresponding configurations. I have studied informatics etc. and can say that I know a LOT MORE about computers then most people do, not saying I know more then you, just saying I know a LOT about them !
I always keep my system updated and have yet to have problems with a game, which were caused by my system.
I know enough about computers and games, so that when I encounter a bug or error, I can (90% of the time) say that it is game or system related, all the bugs I posted here are GAME related. Has nothing to do with my system, my system is a super tweaked machine which runs all games perfectly well, including this game.

Besides that I played Divine Divinity also, and that game had just the same sort of bugs (kinda), and seeing as this game is developed on the same engine, I'm 100% sure these are bugs/inaccuracies.

Besides that I always provide screens to make all things clearer.
I truly hate it when people say I don't know enough about my system, or that it isn't configured well. Seeing that I have helped so many people already with computer problems (ok, maybe not here ), this is just funny, but anyway, you couldn't know that so I won't mind.
Besides that I always find bugs in games which the official testers of the game don't seem to have found, that is just my life story ... maybe I should be one of them, but that's for others to decide.

Besides that, all the things I posted is POSITIVE critic, and I do NOT want to put people off playing the game, the things I said here are not even GAME BLOCKING !!! I am just mentioning these things to help them make a newer/better patch ...
Simple as that, NONE of these things are caused by my system, I assure you !
+ it will help make things clearer for people having the same problems ...

The picture I provided with the black screen instead of a mini pic of where you are is a bug ! That could NEVER be caused by my system if you would know enough about computers ... and this I do NOT mean as an insult !
Same goes for all the other things I said, and IF I think it's caused by my system, I will say it !
Besides that, many of those problems were already mentioned in the forum threads about the DEMO !!! Seeing that they still aren't fixed after a patch ... made me make this thread, + I want to support Larian by helping finding bugs etc. so that they can make the game better for people who are not so good at these things ... !!!

Just wanted to esxplain that I am quite a pro at pc's themselves (whether you believe this or not is not my problem) ... Larian or the ones reading this will check it, and will see that I am right !
Besides I always relativate the problems I find, and as I said in EVERY post here, the game still OWNZ and the things I've found are not BIG bugs, only lil' ones ! I'm just good at finding things like that it seems.

I do not mind you saying things like that, just as I hope you don't mind me explaining things like that.

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 05:11 PM

Wait for the patch and start over.

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 05:17 PM

Found another mini bug :

This melon weighs nothing ... not really a problem, but still, not correct either
I knew melons were light, but 0 weight

On with the search
Posted By: Womble

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 05:20 PM

Maybe its a diet melon?

Nice screenies BTW.

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 05:25 PM

Tx finally some appreciation.

Not that I'm doing it for that, I just find it a lot of fun tinkering with stuff till they error

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 05:35 PM

Quote:

DoritoOfDeath
Wait for the patch and start over.

Euhmh, LoL DoritoOfDeath, first of all, I never waited for any patches.
Second of all, I won't start over until I've played it out.
Third of all, that's just the point of me making this thread, helping them (LARIAN etc.) make a newer, better patch for people who are STARTING the game !!!

LoL ...

How many more times do I have to say, the game ownz, all these things I've found do NOT BOTHER ME PERSONALLY !
It's not more then normal to point out that there are still some bugs left (the game is just out), and pointing them out here HELPS Larian ... as you should've read in the manual introductory of the game
Me doing this will help diminish the possible negative posts they might still receive here.

And again, I do not mind you saying things like that, just as I hope you don't mind me explaining things like that.
(Damn that rhymes )

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 05:47 PM

1.4 patch is here !!!!

http://www.larian.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Rift_general&Number=151218&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Let's hope it fixes some stuff I said

---------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT : UPDATE.

Ohoh

These are the fixes :
http://www.larian.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Rift_general&Number=151231&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

But I'm afraid I already encountered something weird ... you can read it in the above thread.

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 06:49 PM

Edit Again:

[This post has been stolen by imps.]

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 10:15 PM

?

We're not holding a contest here

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 10:22 PM

Redrum, would it be possible to either show your pics as a link or resize them please? It's a bit strenuous for me to keep on using the slider - thank you in advance. and yes, I have 1024 resolution.
Kiya

About the missing screenie function => I still hope - but I can't demand it. It's a Larian decision after all, right? And if they prefer to fix other stuff - I accept, as my game doesn't crash by switching.
Posted By: kay26

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 05/05/04 10:36 PM

when i first started playing i could see the saves screenies, now after applying the latest patch i cant, just a black rectangle where the pic should be.
Dunno if thats a patch problem, also when i exited the battlefields there was no more sound, i went to options and changed the volume settings, sound came back but was gone again after the first fight, wonder if i can remove the patch, does anyone know?
Also i was wondering if anyone has problems with the scrolling like i do, it kinda annoys me that when the mouse cursor gets about 1/4" from the screen edge, the image scrolls abruptly in that direction, i couldnt find any adjustment and i hate it.
Maybe anyone knows a trick to change or adjust this feature?
Thx everyone

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 06/05/04 02:26 PM

I'm gonna resize ALL the pics and reupload them, specially for you Kiya !

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 06/05/04 02:31 PM

Yep the 'black screen on loading' bug is still there. Don't think everybody has this problem, but I do, also after 1.4 patch.
Screenie :

Voila.

They should fit nicely now Kiya

PS.: also posted a screenie for the 'looping encumbrance' bug, which you guys already had found, just to add some proof http://www.larian.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?cat=&Board=BDTECHNICAL&Number=151667&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 06/05/04 02:41 PM

Oh no

After taking the screenie for the encumbrance bug, I went back to the game, loaded my last save, and when I looked at my map it was totally black (I believe some others already posted this too somewhere). As I remember correctly there was this kind of bug with Divine Divinity too ...

When I took the full screen map it was the same, a pitch black map ...

Posted By: Match

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 06/05/04 03:38 PM

Come on man take it easy.
The screenshot/save black save screen is something mentioned a long time ago by Larian.
If you want to see save screen when browsing saves, and see it while it is loading, and do screencaps with the game engine, just disable the FSAA ( set to 0 (asuming you dont force it in windows) ) and you'll get everything back to normal.

And btw stop flaming MonkehmaN cause all he said was very true.
As you speak of your so huge knowledge in comps and so on, you should know he was.

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 06/05/04 04:09 PM

LoL ... ?

The reactions I see from people like you and MonkehmaN are truly incomprehensive ...

First of all, all I say here, is not to NAG, or to hassle the developers, instead (HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY AGAIN ???! DO YOU EVEN READ ???) it is fully to help get those little bugs (or whatever you people like to call it ... ) removed from the game, this will BENEFIT EVERYONE !!!! What is wrong with that ?????!!!!!

Second of all, the screenshot thingie might have been mentioned a LONG time ago by Larian, but the Patch 1.40 is just from YESTERDAY. Seeing as this 'black screenie' thing is a bug, wether you have FSAA ON or OFF should have NOTHING to do with it, thus it is a bug !!! Everyone should be perfectly capable of playing the game WITH FSAA AND having those lil' pics in the load screen ! (and I assure you that there WILL be a patch which corrects this !)
And AGAIN (for the 10.000th time), I MYSELF DO NOT MIND THIS AND I LOVE THE GAME AND CAN PLAY IT PERFECTLY WELL WITHOUT SCREENS , but in case Larian would have forgotten, I remind them of this in case they thought it would've been fixed already with the latest patch, just a dedicated gamer loyal to his own country's top rpg maker !!!

Third of all, I wasn't flaming MonkehmaN at all ROFL, where did you get that from (again you did not read it like you should have). MonkehmaN himself was wrong in saying that I was nagging and/or panicing, since I am not doing this to give the game a negative side (AGAIN I have to explain this, you clearly did not read my post!). And besides, him saying the following about the things I posted :
Quote:

I played far too many MMORPG in beta btw (games of the devil) to pass time in University . The majority of bugs were conflicts between .exe / OS or something similar. On the other hand, MMORPG's are bug-city.

It has nothing to do with MMORPG, the bugs I posted have nothing even to do with problems concerning the .exe and my OS LoL ... thus concluding that my knowledge of these things is greater. I didn't want to say it, but you forced me to explain it !

Besides, proof of not flaming him :
Quote:

... and can say that I know a LOT MORE about computers then most people do, not saying I know more then you, just saying I know a LOT about them !

Quote:

Just wanted to esxplain that I am quite a pro at pc's themselves (whether you believe this or not is not my problem) ...

Quote:

Besides I always relativate the problems I find, and as I said in EVERY post here, the game still OWNZ and the things I've found are not BIG bugs, only lil' ones ! I'm just good at finding things like that it seems.

I do not mind you saying things like that, just as I hope you don't mind me explaining things like that.

If you call those things flaming ... ... then you haven't read too many posts on forums I guess ... and if MonkehmaN thought of it like that, then I'm sorry but he misunderstood. (but I think only you misunderstood)

Fourth of all, again, I NEVER said I knew more about these things than he does, EXCEPT for now in THIS post !!!

AGAIN, THIS IS ONLY HELP, AND POSITIVE CRITIC I POST HERE ABOUT THE GAME !!!
THE GAME IS ONE OF THE BEST RPGS NOW AVAILABLE !!!

djeezes

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 06/05/04 07:45 PM

First of all, I have absolutely nothing to do with the above poster, so kindly don't use me to prove a point to him.

Secondly, as I explained in my post which I DELETED to avoid this flame war (you bought it back up, not me) I was talking about MYSELF panicing at stuff not you. You misread my initial post and that is not my problem. The OS and DirectX comment was a general question which I was curious about. Funnily enough you saw this as an insult to your super-intelligence and so proceeded to type exactly why you're superior to me. Yawn indeed.

Thirdly, posting about me is flaming IN MY OPINION because originally all I was doing was trying to help. You have now posted two times questioning my intelligence. That IS flaming. If you do not see it as flaming, that's your problem. What I cannot believe is I actually tried to help you, and I get a response like that. How am I to know you are an absolute genius and know everything under the sun? People help each other on forum and flaming them for trying is just damn lame.

You are funny. Good Job.

Now get the hell off my back, you don't know me.

Edit:

Quote:

And btw stop flaming MonkehmaN cause all he said was very true.
As you speak of your so huge knowledge in comps and so on, you should know he was.

Thanks btw, at least it wasn't just me who saw his superiority complex as insulting.

Re: Some things I think could help fixing ! - 06/05/04 07:56 PM

Thank you, Redrum - now I'm able to read better
Kiya
© 2020 Larian Studios forums