Larian Studios
Posted By: Raze abbreviation for "Divinity 2 - Ego Draconis" - 14/08/08 10:15 PM

• D2-ED - complete, though a bit long
  • D2:ED - same
  • D2ED - slightly shorter...
  • DED - would be better for a zombie / vampire game, IMO
  • D2 - conflicts with another game
  • DII - roman numerals are out of place, and (depending on font) looks like dll
  • DD2 - forget the new name, just stick with the old abbreviation
  • ED - short, consistent with DD / BD abbreviations
I was going to add a poll, but it seems they have not been enabled in the new forum software. Therefore, I'm just going to keep using ED and wait for everyone else to get lazy enough to do the same. biggrin
I say one of the last two options. It was DD2 in a lot of our minds since it was first announced years ago. On the other hand, ED honors the new title and is a nice consistent two-letter abbreviation. So, ED for ultimate laziness. up
I though ED was short for EDitors comment... :hihi:
What about "Div2"? I remember "DivDiv" for the first game.
How about DToo? laugh
I like ED. The name is full is spectacular too ;D

The downside with continuing to use DD2 is that people unfamiliar with DD may be a bit confused.

When ED is used to indicate an editor's note, the entire comment is usually enclosed in square brackets, or otherwise separated from the main article.

Div2 would work, but then you are up to 5 whole keystrokes eek rather than ED's 3 (still less than D2ED at 6 and D2:ED at 7).
Er...ED is short-form for a physical disorder. Namely, erectile dysfunction. No one see those commercials? Anyway, might not want to use it too much. Can you imagine? "Hey all! I have ED!" smile

Of all abbreviations, I like Div2 the best. Quick to type and people tend to understand it.
I prefer ED,

Raze are polls enabled on this board...if they are you may consider posting one.
Er...ED is short-form for a physical disorder. Namely, erectile dysfunction. No one see those commercials? Anyway, might not want to use it too much. Can you imagine? "Hey all! I have ED!"
Oh, I can't believe I didn't catch that! Maybe I'll just type out the title. rolleyes
Originally Posted by flixerflax
Maybe I'll just type out the title. rolleyes

Divinity II - Ego Draconis by Larian Studios

Hmmm...

Originally Posted by Equisilus
No one see those commercials?

I have a DVR so I don't have to watch commercials (among other reasons).

In any case, we are not going to get any completely unique short abbreviations. For example, Larian's games do not show up on the first page of Google results for DD, BD, DD2 or Div2.

Originally Posted by NeroJB
Raze are polls enabled on this board...

That was what I was planning, but I don't see how to insert one (the FAQ says there will be an option under the text edit box of a new post if polls are enabled) and when I searched for a topic I knew had a poll (on DirectX), the first post was blank.

I'm sure eventually one term will gain common usage.
What about DIIED silly
Good topic, Raze. It's not unimportant to have an abbreviation the community generally agrees with and sticks to. I'd go with ED, but it's up you you guys and gals.
First I would say DD2, cause I'm a bit used to it. But I chose for ED, cause it sounds like it could be your best friend's name.
All joking aside, ED works best because it's the shortest and because everyone will know what we all mean from context.

I don't think we get that many topics about Erectile Dysfunction here, after all... laugh

Yes, at least in this forum I think ED would be fine. In other forums or web pages I would use a longer version (D2:ED or Divinity 2, depending on whether most people there would be likely to be familiar with the game).

PS thanks Macbeth. Some people might complain that you left out the 'potatoe' option, but just ignore them.
silly
Originally Posted by Raze

PS thanks Macbeth. Some people might complain that you left out the 'potatoe' option, but just ignore them.
silly

Oh boy, I can't believe I did - or rather didn't do - that! Still, D2: Potatoe somehow doesn't really have that epic ring to it. wink
Aw shucks. Div2 didn't make it to the poll. I went with D2ED, since it separates it from D2 (which I've been using for years to describe a certain other game) and ED isn't known outside this forum (I certainly wouldn't have thought to use just ED to describe Div2). I think I'll stick with whatever is used by the original poster of a thread or post when replying and use Div2 or Divinity2 outside of here (or the full name).
Er...ED is short-form for a physical disorder. Namely, erectile dysfunction. No one see those commercials? Anyway, might not want to use it too much. Can you imagine? "Hey all! I have ED!" smile

Are they selling erectile dysfunctions where you live ? silly

ED would be the best but as said before I don't know if anyone outside this forum would understand what game we were talking about.
Originally Posted by lepel

Are they selling erectile dysfunctions where you live ? silly

Hehe, poorly worded, I admit. There are ones for suggesting discussion with a doctor, treatments available, etc. offtopic Anywho....

What does the company use internally when discussing the game? Macbeth suggested ED was a possibility. Do they just say "Ed" as in the short form for Edward? Or "Eeedee" as in saying the initials?
Outside this forum I'd make sure everyone knows I'm talking about Divinity 2 Ego Draconis by first using it's full name, then use 'Div2: ED' cause I don't care how many keystrokes it takes :p
On the Larian Forum on the other hand, using ED should be clear enough to know what I'm talking about grin
I voted for D2:ED but I'd prefer to use the abbreveation that the Larains use for it.
I'd bet after running tests so many times and pulling hair out in frustration at some points in the dev cycle the Larians have some VERY interesting names for it! Not sure they'd be forum friendly, though... laugh
I was pretty pissed to not see potatoe listed there, and in the game I expect it to be spelled potatoe every time.
Aw shucks. Div2 didn't make it to the poll.

Crap. Div2 wouold be perfect. I change my vote to Div2.
I voted for DD2, but Div2 does sound nice.
FYI, Div2 is the name of the executable of the game
So I'd say Lar's voting for Div2 =p
Div2
Not having read everything but the initial post, I'm for DD2:ED.
Similar to PS:T.
The famous Mr. Ed laugh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Ed
Posted By: rat Re: abbreviation for "Divinity 2 - Ego Draconis" - 18/08/08 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Raze
I was going to add a poll, but it seems they have not been enabled in the new forum software. Therefore, I'm just going to keep using ED and wait for everyone else to get lazy enough to do the same. biggrin

So polls are working then? Or did someone just enable them real quick there.
They worked for me, but if not for Raze than perhaps not for everybody.
Macbeth, you are a moderator and I think this is "only" a permission problem. I administrate a few boards based on phpBB3 and there I could manage polls on user or moderator basis.

I vote for more permissions for regular users woehoe
Posted By: rat Re: abbreviation for "Divinity 2 - Ego Draconis" - 18/08/08 02:01 PM
Right.. I've enabled polls for the Ego Draconis English/German forums (it's a forum-by-forum thing so if you want more, PM me).
Posted By: rat Re: abbreviation for "Divinity 2 - Ego Draconis" - 18/08/08 02:05 PM
New shortcuts, courtesy of Lynn:

: div2: ------> div2
: div2s: -----> div2s (the s is for "symbol")
Beautiful! So Div2 it is? Or do we need a new poll with that option?
Posted By: rat Re: abbreviation for "Divinity 2 - Ego Draconis" - 18/08/08 02:11 PM
No, that's just the smiley, I'm not trying to suggest anything wink
div2 cheer!
Originally Posted by rat

Awesome!
Originally Posted by rat

Coolness. Love the symbol thingy, especially.
Originally Posted by LewsTherinKinslayer13
I was pretty pissed to not see potatoe listed there, and in the game I expect it to be spelled potatoe every time.

Aye ok, is see - looks as if i missed a thing over the years in the German forum part! think
Whatīs that "potatoe" talk sīpposed to be all about!? confused

Ragon, the non-adept Mage

P.S.:
div2s - The Artist formerly Known as "Prince"
silly
potatoe is an epic story of love, revenge, disaster, and forums.

I can't remember who, it was either Barta or possibly me, was doing a poll about food or something and had potatoe as an option, and people were arguing over the spelling. Eventually someone put it in the next poll option, and it just kept appearing in polls. We would always have it as a poll option, usually for if you didn't care or anything. It's been kept alive by us of the potatoe fan club for centuries.

And I fully expect this to be included in the game in the form of the boss npc at the end of the game named Lews The Potatoeslayer.

Okay maybe just an npc?

Okay a mention?

Okay potatoes will be in the game?

Okay nvm.
Hmm, what about implenting 'Potatoe' as a dialog option in a very important conversation in the game?

'Hurry, Dragon Slayer, an army is attacking our beloved village while a mighty dragon is about to devour your family! Which will you save?'

1. Lead me to your village, quick! We got no time to lose!
2. I must save my family, you'll have to deal with those villains yourselves!
3. Potatoe!

I'd go for the 'Potatoe!' option, just to see the outcome :p
I agree with a potatoe option in the dialogs.

This option could lead to something strange or very stupid or something completely awfull like the game crashing.
© Larian Studios forums