Larian Studios
Posted By: Lar_q News from the front(2) - 19/09/08 01:45 PM
Hello again everybody,

Time for a new update about how development is going and what exactly is going on at Larian.
First of all, we’re going gold next week ! And no, I’m not talking aboutdiv2  In parallel to the development of div2 we’ve had a new secret broadcaster game in development since last year, and that one is now ready. Broadcasters have different ways of marketing things which is the reason you haven’t heard about this one yet, but that’s soon going to change. It always gives me a nice feeling when we actually manage to put something on a CD that goes into retail. For the people working on a game that’s been in development for a long time, it shows there is light at the end of the tunnel and for the ones that just finished their game, it shows that all that stress and problem solving are ultimately worth it. For me, the best moments of being a game developer have always been seeing people play your game and having fun, and I guess that goes for most of the team here. So it’s cool to have something go gold, it also means we still know how to do it wink

With regards to div2, there’s been a lot of progress since the last time I gave this update.
Our sound/art/animation departments are continuing to polish and get the final pieces of content in before they’ll be heading into an extensive post-production phase. A couple of things were fun to see – for a long time we’ve had a long list of areas and dungeons that were fairly empty as they weren’t populated with all kinds of sceneries and items. Now that these regions are getting the “placement” treatment, the world is really coming alive and you also start seeing all the more advanced graphical features being used by the artists. When looking at how some of those levels come together, you start getting the feeling of – “hey, this really is a game”. It’s all good and well knowing that RPG world building consists of placing layer upon layer of content, but actually seeing all those layers come together makes you feel a bit more confident in what you’ve been doing all along.

The same goes for everything which is coding related. For a long time, our programmers have been making system upon system upon system. One system for boosting items, another system for animating dialogs, another system for determining what will happen when you walk into a particular trigger etc… I think the number of gameplay features alone runs in the four digit numbers. Once these systems are finished people tend to forget about them until the content teams start actually using them to do their thing. That typically ends up in the system being revisited because this thing isn’t possible, or that was forgotten, but as more and more of these systems become operational, the feeling of “hey, this really is a game” increases dramatically.

A publisher once told me – “seeing is believing”. I remember answering, “yeah, sure, whatever, but this is an RPG we’re talking about and, “, thinking of the layer upon layer thing, “it’s going to take a long time before you’re actually going to see the game get together and it’ll even take longer before playing it will be fun”. It frightened the XXXX out of him and I could understand his fear, because what I was saying was that he was going to have to invest a huge chunk of money into something which he’d only know was any good a long time after the start of production.

He didn’t sign in the end, and I often have to think of him now that we’re in this phase. I think it’d be good for his understanding of RPG development that he’d see the magic that’s happening now. But it’s also good for us, because I have to confess that throughout development, we often had doubts if we were doing the right thing. RPGs are such monsters with so many components in them that just listing those components can be frightening. And when you’re making them, you realize that with each component you add, you’ve just added another opportunity to ruin everything. We still could for that matter, still have the little matter of balancing all those systems to take care of wink

Anyway, “layers coming together” is probably the best way you can summarize the development that’s going on right now and as I said in the my previous update, I find it one of the coolest phases of development, despite everybody stressing about “how the hell are we going to get everything ready in time”

A few other things I’ve spotted in the studio:

-A small team of guys has been slaving over the user interface (to replace the thing you saw in the mockups) and they’re starting to get some cool results. Visually it’s a bit of a mix between the user interface from the first Divinity and more contemporary elements. I’m quite fond of it so I hope you all will like it too. Can’t give out any screenshots yet, but you’ll see it soon enough I think.

-We’re prepping ourselves for the voice recordings and subsequent animation work and I’ve had pity with the guys who have to prepare everything on the logistics side. There’s this one excel file containing around 131000 fields of data, and they have to make a plan for hiring actors and assigning voices to npcs out of that, preferably a plan that makes a lot of sense wink It’s another one of those RPG specific things – there’s a lot of text, especially if you add in things like multiple solutions and choices, and each piece of text, with the associated event flags, is an opportunity for things to go awry.

-A lot of optimization and bugfixing work is going on on the engine. The engine programmers have this impressive looking graphs running on their screens showing frame rate and memory consumption over time, and it’s quite fun to go listen to them losing themselves in long conversations about why “where the XXXX does that memory think it’s going”. I think I mentioned it before, but the 360 thing is a really good thing for PC players. Memory consumption and frame rate are managed much tighter (because there is no choice) and it leads to a smooth feeling when playing it on PC.

-The first easter eggs are making it in too. There’s one in particular which will be interesting to explain to certain people, don’t know if we’ll be able to keep it in, but for sure it’s a world premiere in game 

-I’m soon off on another press tour so we’re preparing a build for that, and that always causes an extra layer of stress, as the general idea is that everything works more or less in a way that the game can be presented. No pink textures, no characters that are 2km tall instead of 2m tall and preferable something that can run smoothly without crashing. The designers have a hall of shame in their room which illustrates the biggest bugs we’ve encountered during development. I hope that once the game ships we’ll find time to release them here, it’ll give you an entire different view on div2 wink

-Been looking at pictures from the days when we made LMK and div. First observation, I had a lot more hair back then. Second observation, there really were few of us compared to the amount of people working on the game now. For div we were only three programmers over the entire development as opposed to the twelve that’ve been working on div2. I don’t even want to start talking about the amount of artists. Third observation, knowing what I know now I think we could’ve made div in half the time so there’s something to be said for experience. Fourth observation, knowing what I know now I might not have started on div. Fifth observation, I wonder if we could’ve made div2 in half the time knowing what we know now. Sixth observation, if I start like this, I can probably go on for a long time, so it’s probably better to abandon this chain of thoughts.

-We're looking for cool ideas for the cover of the game. Suggestions are always welcome smile

I’ll end this update with another thought about the layer upon layer thing. If you look at screenshots from games in development, you can actually spot where they are in development, or at least, where they were in development at the moment those screenshots were taken. Usually you get to see screenshots months after they were made. It occurred to me when browsing through the dragon screenshots that they already don’t correspond anymore with how things look on screen (I mean that in a good way). Those shots are particle light whereas current versions of dragon action are quite particle intensive, adding a whole different atmosphere. Or those interior shots we released at the time of the announcement. There are quite a lot of layers missing there and when you see it now, things are very different. Made me think if it’s actually a good idea to release any media before all layers are ready because first impressions are so important. Then again, that would probably mean no media before the game is ready, and that’s probably not a good thing too. But I wonder how many people judge a game on the first shots and then don’t look anymore. I know I made that mistake a couple of times, even with some very popular games which I subsequently didn’t buy right away, only to be surprised in a positive way afterwards. Something to think about.

Cheers

Lar
Posted By: Khamul Re: News from the front(2) - 19/09/08 06:03 PM
Lar, I do hope you like your job...cause otherwise I'm taking it.

Thanks a lot for this post, it's extremely interesting to read what's going on at Larian. And it makes me confident that div2 will be great. Thumbs up!
Posted By: Equisilus Re: News from the front(2) - 19/09/08 09:48 PM
Ditto to what Khamul said above. Thanks for the update, Lar.

Ideas for the cover? I'm no artist, but I was thinking of a dragon perched on the name/logo of the game menacingly preparing for battle as a warrior approaches to attack. I like integration of the title with the art, which is why I suggest it, but I understand that it can be difficult with limited space.
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: News from the front(2) - 19/09/08 11:14 PM
Cool. Thanks for the update, Lar smile
Posted By: lepel Re: News from the front(2) - 19/09/08 11:51 PM
Thanks for the update.

I hope you can tell us something about the places we can own or build soon.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: News from the front(2) - 20/09/08 12:39 PM
Thanks for the update. smile
Posted By: Merendrious Re: News from the front(2) - 20/09/08 01:09 PM
congrats with the broadcaster game baby party
Posted By: Rafoca Re: News from the front(2) - 21/09/08 09:07 PM
Great update! It´s so nice to have a dev talking with us.

Question: can we choose races to play?

A lot of games, when allow race choices, always use the basics: elves, dwares, etc - but why not minotaurs, giants and centaurs?

Hugs smile
Posted By: flixerflax Re: News from the front(2) - 21/09/08 10:12 PM
No races, only humans...and dragons!!

Presumably, as in the previous games, playing as other races would impact/alter the game's storyline too much.
Posted By: Raze Re: News from the front(2) - 21/09/08 11:30 PM

Lar stated previously that the conversation tree is already so elaborate that adding differences for male and female characters would have been impractical. In order to have different races implemented properly, they would each need significant differences in available conversations, as well as differences in the quest system, etc. That would be nice to have, but I'd rather play as a human in 2009 than a centaur in 2015. biggrin
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: News from the front(2) - 21/09/08 11:54 PM
LOL! I'm totally in agreement with Raze on this one laugh
Posted By: LewsTherinKinslayer13 Re: News from the front(2) - 22/09/08 12:32 AM
As a Human I like to play as a Human, thank you very much.

-Lews
Posted By: flixerflax Re: News from the front(2) - 22/09/08 01:57 AM
But don't you ever like to play as a woman, Lews? grin
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: News from the front(2) - 22/09/08 02:07 AM
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to the next one.
Posted By: LewsTherinKinslayer13 Re: News from the front(2) - 22/09/08 03:49 AM
I've done it from time to time Fliverflax, it's true. wink
Posted By: flixerflax Re: News from the front(2) - 22/09/08 06:06 AM
Who the heck is Fliverflax?! The nerve, insulting my highly dignified name with that silly nonsense one... hahaha
Posted By: LewsTherinKinslayer13 Re: News from the front(2) - 22/09/08 06:40 AM
At least yours doesn't have any numbers in it =p
Posted By: Equisilus Re: News from the front(2) - 22/09/08 09:38 PM
No one's commenting on this: "-We're looking for cool ideas for the cover of the game. Suggestions are always welcome." Come on, stick some ideas up there. smile

If y'all want to go with something more subtle for the cover, how about a dark background (perhaps a forest in the dead of night) with a close up of the PC lit by an otherworldly glow. Seen through the PC, though, is the ghostly form of a dragon...the one that the PC can transform into.

Another: split the cover down the middle. On one side is the PC facing the center, on the other is a dragon facing the PC. They should both be menacing, looking like they are threatening each other, but they should have as close to the same representation of facial expression and pose as possible, because the idea is that they are really mirror images of the other.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: News from the front(2) - 22/09/08 10:07 PM
Cool ideas ? How about an riddle-based adventure game within this world (and with this engine) ? wink
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: News from the front(2) - 23/09/08 12:41 AM
Cover idea? How about the hero's face with twin dragons reflected in his eyes...
Posted By: flixerflax Re: News from the front(2) - 23/09/08 01:41 AM
Or the hero's face split, left side human, right side dragon. Seems cliche though.
Posted By: isorun Re: News from the front(2) - 23/09/08 05:36 PM
Or a half human half dragon face? or is that to classic?
The PC with the dragon standing on his rear legs behind him?
The PC during the transformation(i.e. Wings growing from his back, sharp teeth, a tail, but still human shaped)?

or just the Divinity 2 logo on a black background?
Posted By: Morbo Re: News from the front(2) - 23/09/08 07:17 PM
I have this idea.

Cover with a nice border and a black background. On the bottom you have the title. In that pitch black blackground only 3 thing light up. The 2 green/blue dragon/ghost eyes an below that a small flame. In short: a head on (apply directly to the forehead) shot of a dragon in the dark where only the eyes and a small flame from the mouth is visible. (I'll try to make a mock up). Gives the game a kind of mystique.

edit: just made a mockup, it was better in my mind frown.

Maybe the left eye can light up a bit of the human face and the right eye a bit of the dragon face.
Posted By: Merendrious Re: News from the front(2) - 24/09/08 03:42 PM
player looking in a mirror and seeing a dragon.
Player and Dragon in a way it resembles a ying yang symbol.

Not easy to find something original. But it could/should reflect that the player has become what he hunted.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: News from the front(2) - 24/09/08 09:01 PM
There is something like that on the cover of the last Quest for Glory game - but that was a different story.
Posted By: Equisilus Re: News from the front(2) - 24/09/08 09:48 PM
I understand the comments about the dual PC/dragon look being cliché or unoriginal, but when you think about the game, everything from the title to the focus of the excitement about the game seems to be the idea that the PC can transform into a dragon and that there are dragon battles, etc. They really do need to show this somehow on the cover.

Good ideas all; it'll be interesting to see what comes out of it.
Posted By: Raze Re: News from the front(2) - 25/09/08 10:22 AM

I assumed the game cover would be similar to the cover art or vertical banner in the fansite kit (dragon behind dragonslayer). Something different could be to have a closeup of the dragonslayer's eyes along the very top edge, with the title just below it; the eyes could be (at least partly) between the dragon and sword symbol and the 'II'. The majority of the cover could then be the dragon, casting the shadow of a human. If there is room on the back of the box (or perhaps as a background image), you could have a dragonslayer casting the shadow of a dragon.
I don't know about 'cool', but this would be slightly less cliché than a mirror or split face design, anyway.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: News from the front(2) - 25/09/08 11:25 AM
I would just expend the banner of this forum into the cover, it looks very, very, cool, imho.

Of course, it'll attract some action-RPG lovers who would slaughter even the villagers just to get MORE experience points ... So much about greed ...

Posted By: janggut Re: News from the front(2) - 30/09/08 06:24 PM
recycling old idea here; cd/dvd box with a hard cover in front that displays the human/dragon with the eyes cut out as it shares the eyes with the picture at the back of the front box cover. the back of the cover shows the dragon/human with the actual eyes.

actually i like Raze's idea of the human with shadow of a dragon.
Posted By: lepel Re: News from the front(2) - 30/09/08 09:02 PM
Yeah so far I think the dragonslayer with the dragon shaped shadow is the best idea.

Another idea would be some kind of optical deception wherein the same image shows a dragon or a human depending on how you look it at.
I guess it would be nearly impossible to make it work and look cool, but if you could do that I think it would suit the game very well.
Posted By: flixerflax Re: News from the front(2) - 30/09/08 11:25 PM
My fav so far is jang's cutout eyes suggestion. I like the shadow idea, but how to show it so that its clear what the shadow is?

lepel - hologram cover! can't be THAT expensive nowadays. i like.
Posted By: janggut Re: News from the front(2) - 01/10/08 06:30 AM
hologram is quite a good idea. smile i think it will look great as the colour scheme of DD2 is dark overall.

another idea would be optical illusion. have the box stand upright & u see the human. flip it & u see the dragon. tricky, yeah, but i'm sure the artists can come up with something. evil
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: News from the front(2) - 01/10/08 07:34 AM
The only problem with the dragon-as-shadow idea is that it would look like it's derived from the Dragonlance novels, where you could always spot a shape-changed dragon because of its shadow, IIRC.

Those novels being rather popular, a lot of people will assume a pinch.

Shame - because I have to admit I like the idea, otherwise.

The hologram idea is a good one - but might be rather expensive. Holograms were never cheap, to my knowledge, though that may well have changed as my knowledge is very out of date, here.
Posted By: Equisilus Re: News from the front(2) - 01/10/08 11:43 PM
I like the dragon-as-shadow idea myself, especially if it's subtle. I prefer it over my more obvious suggestions, and would work better than the image of a dragon overlaid on the PC picture.

Does anyone think Larian could get away with not going with some sort of dragon pic? I think it'd be hard to do, considering the nature of the game, and the title, but perhaps we aren't thinking outside the box.
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: News from the front(2) - 02/10/08 01:03 AM
The edges of the box should look like pages with the exception of the one to be the binding. After all, there is gonna be a real load of text in this game. It isn't your average kill stuff, spend 25% of your time in equipment menus have an ending leaving you bored with the game or feeling it was too short.
Posted By: elgi Re: News from the front(2) - 03/10/08 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Lar_q
-We’re prepping ourselves for the voice recordings and subsequent animation work and I’ve had pity with the guys who have to prepare everything on the logistics side. There’s this one excel file containing around 131000 fields of data, and they have to make a plan for hiring actors and assigning voices to npcs out of that, preferably a plan that makes a lot of sense wink It’s another one of those RPG specific things – there’s a lot of text, especially if you add in things like multiple solutions and choices, and each piece of text, with the associated event flags, is an opportunity for things to go awry.

So, if there are about 130k Excel fields - does that only refer to the (spoken or not) texts in the game? Like X * 130k... about 300-400k words in total? (just a rough guess wink )

It would be nice to know if you plan to make voice over for all dialogues or if only a few selected lines will be recorded. Can you tell something about that already?
Posted By: Lar_q Re: News from the front(2) - 06/10/08 04:15 PM
We're actually starting the first record session this week and unless something is missing from that excel file, the plan is to have all dialogs recorded.
Posted By: elgi Re: News from the front(2) - 06/10/08 05:00 PM
That sounds very promising. up

And about the numbers... I got it right I guess? We are not talking about 130.000 words but about 130.000 Excel fields? grin
Posted By: Lar_q Re: News from the front(2) - 07/10/08 07:04 AM
Well, that excel file contains more than just text. One phrase is one field and no, we don't have 130K phrases, that would be a bit too much wink There's stuff in there like UUID's, actors etc...
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: News from the front(2) - 07/10/08 08:56 PM
Personally, I'd just keep a few lines from these actors who spoke prior to the GC - I mean what was shown there.

Just as a sign that their work was not in vain. wink
Posted By: Auruk Re: News from the front(2) - 12/10/08 08:46 AM
Could you tell what will be the requirements for divinity2?
Posted By: Equisilus Re: News from the front(2) - 12/10/08 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Auruk
Could you tell what will be the requirements for divinity2?

There's another thread ( click here ) that has some information for you on system requirements. The game is a little away from release still, so things aren't definite yet.
Posted By: Razi the Dragon Re: News from the front(2) - 17/10/08 06:29 PM
Hy, I'm new to the foruns but I've been a very loyal fan to the Divinity series. Been playin since 2006 (my first decent computer \o/). I also run a thread about Divinity 2 in a brazilian forum, and what can I say? I love what you're doing, Lars *-* If the game's 75% of what you're saying it is, it'll already be awesome! But of course, I want MOAR, hehe.

Always been a big fan of dragons. I play D&D for almost a year now, as a Dracon Acolyte (custom class that can shapeshange into a half-dragon for a few hours), and I've read/write/saw things about these scaly creatures for more than half of my 22 mortal years, so you can only imagine how happy I am with the possibility to become a dragon myself in the game! *_____*

This thread is still open for box art suggestions? I had an interesting idea last night. That main blonde character staring the customer with his usual pose (just like in the banner here). But now, his entire body is appearing. He's holding his big sword in his front (typical paladin pose =p). On his back, his dragon self, folding/involving his "human self" with his wings while also staring the customer. That should occupy more than half of the box. On the left side, Damian in the shadows, whatching the "Dragon Slayer Knight" with jealousy, and in the right, another person standing in even more shadows, we can just see his eyes. Another dragon knight. The one that killed the Divine? Play to find out. x)

Waiting for a demo, more dragon screenshots and videos! o/ That rap at GC2008 sucks ._."

See ya!
© Larian Studios forums