Larian Studios
Posted By: swordscythe Questions, questions, questions... - 05/01/09 03:56 AM
Hi all. Signed up here, cause I'm throbbing in anticipation for Ego Draconis. It's been since the Witcher that I've seen a half-decent RPG, and with three good ones set to come out in the first half of this year, you can imagine I'm anxiously awaiting the mayhem.

I'm Flemish, and actually don't live too far from Larian Studios, and of course I've played Divine Divinity. I understand the game's got some excellent ratings, especially complimentory when it was made with limited funds. As to what I've seen from Ego Draconis, Larian has done a very nice job of fixing the original games' flaws, and I hope they have managed to captivate the good things about them as well. I, for one, am eagerly anticipating the game's release, and it's good to see a local game designer give the corporate giants a run for their money. You can be sure I'll get the collector's edition (if they make one)!

Of course, questions do arise, seeing as the information we have at present received about this game (even though the developers have been very generous in shedding light upon various questions) is not very detailed.

So, I was wondering what skills the game will offer, whether there'll be good melee combat system with many different weapon combinations, whether dual-wielding will be implemented (I know I know, sorry, I love dual-wielding, Drizz't Do'Urden and all that; hate me now), whether one will be able to craft weapons and armor themselves from a smithy rather than just craft enchantments for them, whether one can play the game fully with utmost enjoyment without using much magic or alchemy, whether one can choose to be an out-of-the-shadows thief-type character with leather armour, or an unarmored swashbuckler without being killed fighting the back end of a wayward boar? Also, will there be the option of wearing cloaks and if so, will they be short and ridiculous like the Guild Wars/WoW cloaks, or will they actually be realistically warm, heavy woolen cloaks?

...so many questions, so little time

Posted By: Lar_q Re: Questions, questions, questions... - 05/01/09 01:46 PM
Hi swordscythe,

Quick answers:

-Dual wielding is in.
-Check out the information already released about the battle tower to discover what's possible in terms of crafting.
-It's a classless system so there are a lot of ways of developing the combat abilities of your character

But no to the cloaks I'm afraid.

Cheers
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Questions, questions, questions... - 05/01/09 02:05 PM
Sounds great. Thanks a lot!
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: Questions, questions, questions... - 05/01/09 06:30 PM
Welcome to the forum, Swordscythe smile
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Questions, questions, questions... - 05/01/09 07:01 PM
Thanks smile

Looks like I'll be doing a lot of checking this forum out in the next few months... hehe.
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: Questions, questions, questions... - 06/01/09 05:08 AM
It's a fun forum smile Lots of nice people smile
Posted By: Farflame Gameplay elements / dangerous wilderness - 14/01/09 07:36 PM
I'm thinking about few game mechanics so I will try to present my questions/ideas here. I hope that Lar will have some time to write few positive lines for us hehe.

- Will there be some party comrades/henchmen (aside from the monster you can create)?

- Will there be some quests when you could use NPC soldiers/mages to indirectly help you? For example: you need to deceive some clan of fighters/brigands to attack your enemies. so you steal something valuable from them and convince the clan that your enemies are the thieves. Then you will see the fight between 2 strong groups and have chance to break through and get somewhere you need. Are there some quests like this - when you dont fight alone and with a little cunning you can outwit stronger opponents? (Also this should have consequences - when the clan finds out you lied to them, both groups could hunt you hehe

- How do you design the world, I mean outside areas? Could we expect mostly open terrain (standard woods, rivers, small hills, rocks) or more grim, scrubby terrain (very dense woods, swamps, big mountains and rocks with cannyons) that limits your movement (and gives stronger impression as dangerous/unexplored territory)? With more scrubby terrain you need to find a way through and be carefull to not fall into a trap or boss guarding some mountain pass.

- Also do you plan swamps - REAL swamps - when need to find a way through and be carefull to not be devoured in a mud?

- What about fight system? Will there be somewhat aimed blows (controlled by keyboard) or dodge/parry maneuvers to spice the fight up a little? I hope Larian is not aiming for simple generic system "click them to death and if they dont die, use some skill or spell". I like more tactic elements in a fight, even small ones. (Maybe I missed some info on this topic)

- How strong will be dragon fire? Do you plan to give them ability to ignire fire on larger areas and/or burn wooden buildings?

- Will there be some magic especially designed to fight the dragons? For example ice spells to freeze their wings or "net" to snarl dragons in flight?

- Will you implement sneaking abilities for the Hero to hide and sneak past opponents in night or dark areas?
Posted By: Raze Re: Gameplay elements / dangerous wilderness - 14/01/09 11:15 PM

What about fight system? Will there be somewhat aimed blows (controlled by keyboard) or dodge/parry maneuvers to spice the fight up a little?

Hopefully not, at least not to a micro management extent. I don't like twitch based gameplay.

In the topic News from the front, Sektor said that in terms of click rate in combat, D2:ED should be better than DD (in terms of potential for repetitive strain type problems). That's about as much as has been revealed so far, though.
Various positions on combat systems were debated in the Wishlist topic, amongst other suggestions and related discussion.
will the fighting still be relatively simple?I really hate it when I need to press 57buttons to fight, one of the main reasons i like dd, is that I just click and can focus on my skills and spells..and oh yeah, are there already indictaions on HW specs? since it's "solden" here in belgium ^^ I want to know whether I need to buy a new pc now or not, because mine is still very good but as upgraded as can be, so I will not be able to compensate any longer..please let me know..and o yeah, I can't wait!!!

Larian thank you for making these wonderfull games, without a doubt DD is my favourite all times, and Ego Draconis isn't going to be less laugh I believe in you guys
Posted By: Raze Re: Gameplay elements / dangerous wilderness - 15/01/09 07:04 PM

I got the impression that combat would still be relatively simple, or at least that it didn't go the 57 button route.

Not much has been mentioned on the system specs, either, except they are targeting to have it run on Geforce 7800 video cards. Because it is being made for the XBox 360 it will not require a lot of memory (though of course more is better). They have not mentioned CPU, but anything remotely recent is usually good enough for most games.

My current system is also below the requirements, but as upgraded as it can be. I was thinking of getting a gaming laptop fairly soon, but am now leaning towards waiting until mid year (a month or so before release, whenever that is).
I think people tend to forget that it's not because you have a combat system that consists of keyboard combinations, that it's "twitch-based". There are games who bring really good, intuitive and realistic combat which is easy to control; such as Severance: Blade of Darkness (granted, it's not a good game, but it does have a good combat system)and Gothic II (better stance as you improve your weapon skill, which also means different combos, and you have to time and direct your swings)

Personally I think point-and-click games are out of date. It's sort of sad that most RPG's (and most action games, for that matter) still haven't come up with a combat system that immerses the player. It's not because you have to time it right and aim it right, that combat depends on player skill. Not at all, character skill will still be the decisive factor, but making you control the character personally will add much to the involvement and will make for a much more interesting game.

Not that the tried-and-true method doesn't work; the Infinity-type isometric view, also used for DD, is a classic and very good view and system. But all games have been 3D for quite a while now; it's time to evolve. I'm sure Larian agrees, and has put quite a bit of thought in the combat system.
Posted By: Squinty Re: Gameplay elements / dangerous wilderness - 16/01/09 07:30 AM
Perhaps they plan to keep the system close to DD, as suggested by Raze but allowing us to enjoy the fights been played out in full 3d (poss. rotatable camera?). Depending on your class and level, I think it would be reasonable to assume that 'special moves' can be cued up much as a mage lines up spells ready to cast. Real time button mashing combat would be quite a game mechanic to implement well. If you have ever tried to play Morrowind/Oblivion in 3rd person (which only really has attack and block) you will know that it is not pretty and can be awkward. If there as as many enemies on the screen as there were at times in the first two titles then I for one would prefer to be able to pause, and plan my attacks. Maybe thats because I have terrible reactions though wink
Posted By: Raze Re: Gameplay elements / dangerous wilderness - 16/01/09 08:12 AM

The combat system may be close to DD in design concept, but not in implementation. D2:ED has no mouse cursor during combat or moving around, just when the inventory is opened. Presumably there would be some form of manual or automatic targeting system (at least for ranged attacks), rather than having to physically point your character in the right direction to attack.

There will be a pause function. Lar mentioned this in the 'News from the front' topic, but not how it will be implemented.

Welcome to the forum. wave
Buy zee vey, is there also any info yet on what weapons will make it into the game?

There was quite a bit of commotion on both the Oblivion and the DA:O forums, I remember, about them not including certain weapons, such as crossbows and polearms. Of course, it's not necessarily a bad thing to leave them out, because they take up quite a bit of developing time, I imagine, being that polearms are a completely different weapon type that needs different animations; and crossbows having a shorter range, but far more piercing power and a far more linear trajectory than longbows, and those pining for crossbows mostly aren't satisfied with a bow that looks like a crossbow.

Any rpg-fan would of course love these weapons to be in so as to increase the amount of choice in a game, but most of us would also not want to give up something else for them to be in. It's an easy position of criticism (kind of like being in the opposition when Larian's the government, ha! Politicians eat your heart out) but it's the guys and girls at Larian who have to make the decisions; and to be honest, it's not a vital feat to the game.
Posted By: Squinty Re: Gameplay elements / dangerous wilderness - 16/01/09 03:44 PM
Thanks Raze. I played DD years ago and is still up there with my all time favourite ever games. Started BD but lost interest halfway through. Nowadays Im made of stronger stuff I think, so with my interest captured by the next installment on the way I've decided to try and finish it. Tell me - was a mod/development kit ever released for the first game much like the one released for Neverwinter Nights? Is it at all likely now that the 'next generation' of the game is imminent? Apologies for going off topic.
hmm.. another question. Is there an official FAQ for Divinity II? I wouldn't mind spending some time making an FAQ for the game...

I also wouldn't mind learning a bit more about Rivellon than I already know. Is there a source (preferably English, though not necessarily) in which we could get to know the lore in that world?
Posted By: Squinty Re: Gameplay elements / dangerous wilderness - 16/01/09 05:01 PM
I suppose the most obvious place to start would be all the books littered throughout the first two games. Gathering all the info and organising it into a wiki style database would be very usefull but quite a task. Maybe Larian could help by offering up all the text from the various books in one file?
Posted By: Farflame Lore / fights - 16/01/09 05:05 PM
About Lore:
I assume that the game itself will present some lore of Rivellon. It should to immerse player in the world. It reminds me of Oblivion books about history of Tamriel. Elder Scrolls has strong lore, but I would prefer a little different approach. Please, Larian, TELL the stories. Not throw them into the world as books, but let the player to converse with NPCs and listen to old legends (if they want). Books are ok, but stories told by living NPCs are better. It also helps to make bonds with some NPCs.

About fights:
There is no need for micromanagement in fight, but I think that RPGs badly needs some tactical elements. We saw too many simple clickfests to be excited by it nowadays. If there will be "pause" implemented, it can be a solution - system based more on using of skills/spells in right time and maybe more. Or Larian is opting for something completely different wink
Posted By: Raze Re: Lore / fights - 16/01/09 08:24 PM

There has been no word on what weapons will be in the game, other than what has been shown in screenshots or videos: swords, knives, war hammers, clubs, axes, bows....

There were no mods or development kits released for DD or BD, due to the use of proprietary tools used (which could not be re-distributed) and the lack of user friendliness of some of their interfaces. There is at least the possibility that modding tools could be released for D2:ED at some point after the game itself is released.

There is some information on D2:ED on the official site, but no exhaustive FAQ. Myrthos has compiled some background and FAQs at the Locus Inn. The fansite kit (17.7MB) contains some background for DD and a novella covering most of the events between DD and BD.
The books in DD are already in one file: '..\Divine Divinity\Run\main\startup.v2\static\books.000'. It is not a straight text file, but you can open it in Wordpad (etc) and read/copy the text portions.
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Lore / fights - 17/01/09 12:21 AM
Ah... I've desperately been wanting to replay DD, but I've lost it, sadly, along with tons of my other classic games.... I've bought Gothic II back, but I guess I'll need to buy another copy of DD... unless it'll come with DII of course... :p
Posted By: drazac Re: Lore / fights - 19/01/09 12:16 PM
Hi!
I am new here and I've never played DD, however i saw some gameplay videos and they looked really good... I'm looking forward to c how the sequel will turn out to be.

Have few questions:
1) I've noticed you are doing 360 version next to PC, so i am wondering, what are the differences between two versions, except graphics & controls?
2) In DD items gave lots of bonuses, will D2 use similar item system, or it will be simplified (for example, like the one in Mass Effect)?
3) From what i have seen so far from D2 gameplay videos, there is no gore.. just a "flash" when weapon hits an enemy, is that true?
4) I don't know what kind of "atmosphere" was like in DD, was it "colorful and cheerful" or "dark and depressing" or maybe a mix of both... there are lots of bright colors in D2, i was wondering, will there be any gray and dark environments?
5) Regarding the combat, since it will be real time, will it be like button smashing Fable, or time triggered, Devil May Cry?

Posted By: Lar_q Re: Lore / fights - 19/01/09 12:52 PM
Hi Drazac,

1) The UI is completely different as are the controls obviously and the balancing is a bit different too. Other than that,they're pretty much the same.

2) The item system was rewritten but has a lot options for boni than than div had.

3) No, there's actually quite a lot of blood, especially in the dragon gameplay. It's possible that rating boards might have us tune these down .

4) The idea is that it changes continously depending on the mood and where you are in the story. We've only shown the beginning of the game which is quite cheerful but that's not the only mood you'll encounter in the game.

5) There's multiple ways you can handle combat - there is a pause mode allowing you to be more tactical, if you are skilled you can use rolls and jumps to gain an advantage, or you can be a bit more traditional and rely heavy on the stats of your characters and your equipment. In all cases you will need to use your skills and spells however to overcome the enemy.

Posted By: drazac Re: Lore / fights - 19/01/09 12:59 PM
Thank you... looking forward to it smile
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Lore / fights - 19/01/09 01:44 PM
Divine Divinity had spell books you could find or purchase to get wizard skills. That felt a bit lopsided, especially since they appeared randomly on bookshelves and ignored level requirements. Hello level 5 Elemental Hail at level 11!

Will Divinity 2 have skill books, but not just for magic skills?

Posted By: Farflame Questions... - 20/01/09 10:48 AM
Please, Lar, could you answer also my questions on previous page? I asked sbout - some party henchmen?, mostly open world or grim hard terrain?, real swamps :), aimed blows in combat?, dragon fire burning wooden buildings, sneaking...

Thanks. I know you dont have much time for us, but fans are just fans... cool2

P.S. Well you revealed something more about combat in your last post. Thanks. Tactical fight with pause - that seems promising.
Posted By: Lynn Re: Questions... - 20/01/09 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Farflame
Please, Lar, could you answer also my questions on previous page?

Please put a link here to your previous question(s). Lar has it indeed extremely busy. It would save him time. Many thanks wink
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Questions... - 20/01/09 01:44 PM
Here you are smile
Originally Posted by lynn
Please, Lar, could you answer also my questions on previous page?

Please put a link here to your previous question(s). Lar has it indeed extremely busy. It would save him time. Many thanks wink

I'm thinking about few game mechanics so I will try to present my questions/ideas here. I hope that Lar will have some time to write few positive lines for us hehe.

- Will there be some party comrades/henchmen (aside from the monster you can create)?

- Will there be some quests when you could use NPC soldiers/mages to indirectly help you? For example: you need to deceive some clan of fighters/brigands to attack your enemies. so you steal something valuable from them and convince the clan that your enemies are the thieves. Then you will see the fight between 2 strong groups and have chance to break through and get somewhere you need. Are there some quests like this - when you dont fight alone and with a little cunning you can outwit stronger opponents? (Also this should have consequences - when the clan finds out you lied to them, both groups could hunt you hehe

- How do you design the world, I mean outside areas? Could we expect mostly open terrain (standard woods, rivers, small hills, rocks) or more grim, scrubby terrain (very dense woods, swamps, big mountains and rocks with cannyons) that limits your movement (and gives stronger impression as dangerous/unexplored territory)? With more scrubby terrain you need to find a way through and be carefull to not fall into a trap or boss guarding some mountain pass.

- Also do you plan swamps - REAL swamps - when need to find a way through and be carefull to not be devoured in a mud?

- What about fight system? Will there be somewhat aimed blows (controlled by keyboard) or dodge/parry maneuvers to spice the fight up a little? I hope Larian is not aiming for simple generic system "click them to death and if they dont die, use some skill or spell". I like more tactic elements in a fight, even small ones. (Maybe I missed some info on this topic)

- How strong will be dragon fire? Do you plan to give them ability to ignire fire on larger areas and/or burn wooden buildings?

- Will there be some magic especially designed to fight the dragons? For example ice spells to freeze their wings or "net" to snarl dragons in flight?

- Will you implement sneaking abilities for the Hero to hide and sneak past opponents in night or dark areas?
Posted By: Lar_q Re: Questions... - 21/01/09 01:03 PM
Sorry about not seeing those questions & thanks for putting them up again wink

Quick response is:

To the first two, no (though you have an array of creatures you can summon) and yes.

The World design is such that it starts all nice and open in a green area with people feeling relatively happy. It all goes down from there, so the later areas become more grim, dangerous with plenty of nasty surprises, though there are the occassional safe harbors. There's quite some visual variation which is something I'm glad of.

Funny that you mention swamps, we had swamps, cool ones at that but somewhere during the production they were cut.

Combat is definitely more tactical than just click & be done with it and can get quite intense. You're pretty agile and jumping around/evading definitely gives you an edge. For the lesser agile players among us there's a pause command to give you time to reflect and select which skills to execute but I can confirm that the battlescape is err... very dynamic wink

Next question - that's sadly not the case.

Next - It's a world in which dragons are considered the ultimate evil, so there's different "things" in the world aimed explicitely against dragons.

Next - There's a skill called "world of the dead" which allows you to become invisible for some time and sneak around.

Cheers
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Questions... - 25/01/09 03:29 PM
Heh. I'm REALLY amped about this game now.. sounds like loads of fun. Any word on how long it will, approximately, be? It's hard to do something like the original, but I'm really hoping it's longer than Rise of the Argonauts and stuff...
Posted By: Equisilus Re: Questions... - 25/01/09 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by swordscythe
Heh. I'm REALLY amped about this game now.. sounds like loads of fun. Any word on how long it will, approximately, be? It's hard to do something like the original, but I'm really hoping it's longer than Rise of the Argonauts and stuff...

In this thread, Lar said this:
Regarding the 80 hours - I didn't say that though it could, we really don't know as long as we haven't finished with the balancing. A general rule of thumb is to double or even triple the time in a walkthrough in god mode, and since we this in the mornings, that'd indicate somewhere around between 40 to 75 hours.

So, it definitely looks to be a relatively solid amount of time for a game of this style. I'm a completionist, so it's likely I'm going to be on the higher end of that scale, but if it's at least around 60 hours, I'm liking it. Replayability becomes more important the shorter the game.
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Questions... - 25/01/09 07:51 PM
Ahh, that sounds very nice indeed. I do as much as possible as well. But with all the options available, we can probably guess that replayability will be an obvious factor in this game. It will definitely be a repeater.
Posted By: Farflame Re: Questions... - 10/02/09 02:26 PM
Thanks for your answers Lar. It gives us more insight into the game's style and gameplay.

Originally Posted by Lar_q

The World design is such that it starts all nice and open in a green area with people feeling relatively happy. It all goes down from there, so the later areas become more grim, dangerous with plenty of nasty surprises, though there are the occassional safe harbors. There's quite some visual variation which is something I'm glad of.

It sounds nice indeed, I expect that of contemporary big RPG. Well in my question I hinted at a little different thing. I was more interested if there will be some hard terrain that limits your movement a lot. I mean something like narrow mountain path - on the left deep drop-off, on the right rock wall, danger way ahead? Or dense jungle/wood where the bushes and trees creates something like a maze of narrow paths in wilderness? Of course in dragon form you can fly above rocks and mountains, but you cant fly down a treetops - so woods are only ment to be crossed by foot.

BTW I like high cliffs from game screenshots. Great work. It seems there will be some narrow paths I mentioned above smile.

Funny that you mention swamps, we had swamps, cool ones at that but somewhere during the production they were cut.

I see that in a game when player can shapeshift to dragon swamp is not as big threat as it should be wink

Next question - that's sadly not the case.

It's a little shame. Imagine evil dragon who can burn down whole village with his fire. A real nasty and fearsome monster. But I assume dragons will be strong on their own.

Next - It's a world in which dragons are considered the ultimate evil, so there's different "things" in the world aimed explicitely against dragons.

You mean only dragon hunters or dragon hunters AND some other "things"? smile
Posted By: Lar_q Re: Questions... - 12/02/09 08:20 AM
A dragon knight can jump from great heights without hurting himself so there are few hard terrain blockers, except the edges of the world and some specific areas where we blocked it to help the player, rather than constrain him (e.g. in areas where there is lava all around you, you don't necessarily want to fall off when engaged in very dynamic combat on a very narrow ledge or in the tutorial, you don't want to find yourself immediately dropping down from 3 kms)
Posted By: SirChronos Re: Questions... - 12/02/09 11:03 PM
While it makes sense to not be able to run to your own death, will it be possible for characters to be pushed off ledges or cliffs?

One problem I found with previous games is that characters could block the path of the player but there was no way to force past them besides killing them. Will there be skills to knock down enemies and such?
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Questions... - 13/02/09 02:11 AM
Hmm, and when taking long falls off of something, will the knight turn into his dragon form and hover, or will he just land on his feet with his amazing tendons and go about his business?
Posted By: Equisilus Re: Questions... - 13/02/09 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by SirChronos
While it makes sense to not be able to run to your own death, will it be possible for characters to be pushed off ledges or cliffs?

One problem I found with previous games is that characters could block the path of the player but there was no way to force past them besides killing them. Will there be skills to knock down enemies and such?

All they would need is a way to "push" characters out of the way. A number of other RPGs have that ability, and it happens automatically when your characters moves against an NPC. It definitely saves a lot of frustration. I'm less worried about it breaking immersion than I am about getting stuck in an awkward position.
Posted By: Darthvegeta800 Re: Questions... - 14/02/09 09:21 AM
Hello all. I'm from Belgium and i have played both Divinity games so far and enjoyed them greatly.
It's the right mix between 'story', 'options' and 'hack and slash'.
However i was wondering wether the Death Knight will be back and/or if the 'class' will be playable? Will there be Death Knights at all in Ergo Draconis?
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 17/02/09 03:21 PM
I wouldn't say so.
Posted By: Arkray Re: Questions... - 18/02/09 04:33 PM

Hi! I'm new here but I've been following the game news since 'always'. I have a question regarding what Mr Lar said here. Those 'areas' mentioned... do they need to be loaded or all the world is seamless as I imagined? I know from the GC presentation videos that indoors are loaded a part like Fallout 3/Oblivion but I expected the outdoors to be all 'at once'. And don't get me wrong, if the areas are 'separated' that means more details and new stuff in them, not like the 'wasteland', it was all the same and then Bethesda used the metro stations as an excuse to load the unique locations a part...

And another one, the guy in the logo, will him be the default character? I'm asking because I like him a LOT and if you give me him as my avatar I wouldn't mind if there is not face generator at all grin

Thanks! welcome
Posted By: Lynn Re: Questions... - 18/02/09 05:18 PM
Hello wave

I'll leave the question for Lar evil

Concerning your avatar: there's now a bigger version (120*120) available.
Go to "My Stuff" and via "My Profile" you choose "Add stock avatar". Scroll (with the arrows at the bottom) for the div2s avatar, it's at the very end.
Posted By: drazac Re: Questions... - 18/02/09 05:25 PM
Greetings

The most important question of all:
Will you release some kind of a editor for modding a game files

Long live MODS!!!

Question that is not that much important to answer as previous one:
When will you release more gameplay footage?

Self proclaimed "Tip of the day!":
Don't be afraid to make a game more complex (more depth in character development, more depth in combat and in using skills, feets etc... we have brains, let us use them smile
Posted By: Arkray Re: Questions... - 18/02/09 06:04 PM
Hello wave

I'll leave the question for Lar evil

Concerning your avatar: there's now a bigger version (120*120) available.
Go to "My Stuff" and via "My Profile" you choose "Add stock avatar". Scroll (with the arrows at the bottom) for the div2s avatar, it's at the very end.

welcome Hello!!! And thanks for the tip, I reached the end of the stock avatars and I found this other one, sharper, I like it!!!
Posted By: Lar_q Re: Questions... - 18/02/09 06:15 PM
The quick of it is:

-The areas mentioned are loaded, but they are *very* large and load in quite fast.
-The avater shown is based on an in-game model.

Toedeloe

Lar
Posted By: Raze Re: Questions... - 18/02/09 10:15 PM

Will you release some kind of a editor for modding a game files

Posted awhile ago near the end of the News from the front topic:

Regarding mods - It's really a question of where we put our effort in. Right now it's in the game and not in providing a mod toolkit, though obviously we have a whole range of tools to make the game. It would take some effort to make them usable for the community, but if the opportunity would arise, it'd be something I'd very much like to do. I guess it'll really depend on how much demand there is for such a toolkit. I think it might be more sensible to link a mod toolkit with a multiplayer mode, than just release it for single player.
Posted By: Arkray Re: Questions... - 19/02/09 07:59 AM
The quick of it is:

-The areas mentioned are loaded, but they are *very* large and load in quite fast.
-The avater shown is based on an in-game model.

Toedeloe

Lar

Thanks a lot for clarifying this, I can't wait to explore those large areas. And that in-game model is really hot wink
Posted By: Lynn Re: Questions... - 19/02/09 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Arkray

welcome Hello!!! And thanks for the tip, I reached the end of the stock avatars and I found this other one, sharper, I like it!!!

You can grab this one now in 120*120 size too, again: at the very end wink
Posted By: Arkray Re: Questions... - 19/02/09 10:31 AM

You can grab this one now in 120*120 size too, again: at the very end wink

THANKS!!! you are too nice!! birthdayjump cheer
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Questions... - 19/02/09 12:40 PM
Hi im new.
Is this game still on track for a 2009 release
I heard its coming June is that true?
When can we expect more screens/info and real time gameplay?
Posted By: dtp Betty Re: Questions... - 19/02/09 02:14 PM
Hi ho,

currently we are aiming for a summer release.

You will get lots of ingame stuff, screens, artworks, videos etc. till then. smile
Promised!
Posted By: Arkray Re: Questions... - 19/02/09 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by dtp Betty
Hi ho,

You will get lots of ingame stuff, screens, artworks, videos etc. till then. smile
Promised!

In English too?? An by summer you mean june? cool Can I suggest a new screenshot per week? this way people will come back to the official site on a rutine basis.... biggrin
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Questions... - 19/02/09 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by dtp Betty
Hi ho,

Promised!

Thanks for replying
I guess the RUMOR was partly right so summer time.
Please dont delay it I really want this ganeup
As I've never played a Divinity game since I've seen this I feel in love with it hug div
I really want to here more about this so please release more info videos and screens If you dont I'll end up drifting away from here frown
There you go people I digged some dirt up for you claphands
rpg005
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Questions... - 19/02/09 05:50 PM
How far are you into devolepment like is the story finished or are you still creating the world etc?
Also can I just suggest the 360 version needs heavy polish I know its not finished but...It still looks great you know.
What features can we expect in the game(a rough list)
Will PC and 360 version release simulataniously?(If not which will come first)
Sorry for asking so many questions Im a pain in the bum arn't I.
Posted By: AlphaZen Re: Questions... - 19/02/09 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by DivineGamer

silence

Wrong statement. They should delay it as often as necessary to delivere a game that's as bug-free as possible. Waiting a bit longer is much better than losing ones nerves because of unfinished parts in the game.

So, please delay when there's the need to. smile

But in this point I trust DTP. They did a good job together with Radon Labs. And I trust Larian. I think they know how much a bug-free game is wanted by the fans.
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Questions... - 19/02/09 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by AlphaZen
Originally Posted by DivineGamer

silence

Wrong statement. They should delay it as often as necessary to delivere a game that's as bug-free as possible. Waiting a bit longer is much better than losing ones nerves because of unfinished parts in the game.

So, please delay when there's the need to. smile

But in this point I trust DTP. They did a good job together with Radon Labs. And I trust Larian. I think they know how much a bug-free game is wanted by the fans.

Delay whent hey really need to.
The Game wont be bug free no game is.
Dont delay for a sily purpose.
Still try to deliver by late 2009 without a buggy game cool2
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Questions... - 26/02/09 10:43 AM
another question... Will we get to name our character? Like, first name and last name, and then get called that by the populace instead of just "Dragonslayer" and "hero"
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Questions... - 26/02/09 04:19 PM
How will we earn gold to buy weapons ect?
would we get it from Quests or do we have to do Jobs?
Posted By: Arkray Re: Questions... - 26/02/09 05:33 PM
English version will be out at the same time than german/dutch?? I'm asking because german amazon lists it to be released june the 26th. And btw, the cover is AWESOME!!!!! Don't change it!!!

Source: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...38&creative=6742&creativeASIN=B001RFGUSS
Posted By: isorun Re: Questions... - 26/02/09 07:03 PM
There's a Dutch version? o_O
Posted By: joliekiller Re: Questions... - 26/02/09 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by isorun
There's a Dutch version? o_O

That would be nice .... and a first!
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Questions... - 26/02/09 07:52 PM
Personally, I should think it exuberant on Larian's part to do a Dutch version. It's always nice to have different languages, of course, but it's costly, and for the Flemish/Dutch market, it's just not profitable enough, I think. German is done a lot because Germans are a really big gaming market in Europe... But I'm just fine with an English version to play.
Posted By: Arkray Re: Questions... - 27/02/09 08:23 AM
SORRY!!!!! I guessed/assumed there would be one. I had no clues that is not the usual thing. So what is it then, only german? frown frown
Posted By: Lynn Re: Questions... - 27/02/09 09:33 AM
There won't be a Dutch/Flemish version. Gamers in Belgium usually hate to play these kind of games in Dutch, they do prefer an English version. The market would just be too small and thus make it not interesting to release a Dutch/Flemish version.
Posted By: Arkray Re: Questions... - 27/02/09 11:07 AM
Then forget my initial question, english and german will be out at the same time.
Posted By: juanpablo87 Re: Questions... - 27/02/09 03:00 PM
Italian version!?
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 27/02/09 03:52 PM
There won't be a Dutch/Flemish version. Gamers in Belgium usually hate to play these kind of games in Dutch, they do prefer an English version. The market would just be too small and thus make it not interesting to release a Dutch/Flemish version.

Too bad. I'd thought they'd deserved one. frown

But as you seem to have more market knowledge than me ... wink
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: Questions... - 28/02/09 03:35 AM
As far as I understand it, Alrik, every translation costs quite a bit of money to do and results in a different version of the game (So takes time as well as money). Every different language also needs its own version of any patches, of course, which adds even more work (And expense) down the line.

That cost needs to be balanced against expected sales and for many of the less spoken languages it just isn't cost effective. This is why most games are translated into around half a dozen languages at most.

This is what I have read, at least smile
Posted By: Morbo Re: Questions... - 28/02/09 09:29 AM
eeuw. No Ducth version please. Let's keep it nice and English.
Posted By: Lurker Re: Questions... - 28/02/09 11:13 AM
Why are you against a Dutch version? Even if games usually had a bad Dutch localization, you could expect a Dutch version from Larian that is just as good as the English one, couldn't you?
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 28/02/09 02:43 PM
I'd ask the very same.
Posted By: Draghermosran Re: Questions... - 28/02/09 02:52 PM
since most entertainment that comes our way, movies, tv, games etc.. is in english, possibly subtitled. It's something we've grown accustomed to. When its dubbed in dutch, it just sounds wrong and cheap. Plus many of the dialogue written in english translates badly to dutch, clever jokes get lost in translation or even get replaced with lame ones. Last but not least, because of the lack of intonation in the dutch language everything sounds better said in English.
Posted By: Morbo Re: Questions... - 28/02/09 07:54 PM
I don't want to play a game with a duch accent. (flemish would pass but still a no no)
Posted By: Larian_QA Re: Questions... - 28/02/09 09:54 PM
I live in Belgium and speak Dutch. I would never even think of buying any media that has been translated to Dutch. Draghermosran already pointed out several reasons why.

I do not see why people in Germany and France insist on having almost everything dubbed. So much of the original story / humor / acting is lost in translation. I guess it's just habit and it won't change any time soon.
Also, i would not want to hear the same voices over and over in different series / movies / games.

This will always be something we do not understand from our side and most German/French people do not understand from their side smile

Personally, I think it's a pitty because most of my knowledge in languages comes from watching & playing media in its original language.
Posted By: elgi Re: Questions... - 28/02/09 11:50 PM
Being a games translator, I have to say the argument "jokes get lost in translation" is a very overrated one - since there are not that many such jokes in usual games. It's different with overly humorous games of course but that is not a big part of the cake. And of course there ARE translators who actually are good writers and can save the humour/style/spirit of the original. It goes without saying that you don't find them in Far Asia working for 3 Cents per word. wink

What people from countries without translation tradition don't know/understand is that this kind of translation/dubbing usually is quite good in Germany for example... another fine example seems to be Hungary (in movies at least). The people have long experience with it and manage to deliver good work - which you can't compare some lame localisation from other countries. Plus games are nowhere near to movies yet... most games have mediocre voice acting and/or texts at best. So, even if you don't translate them to German, they are not perfect anyway. (Obviously, that's not the case with movies.)

Personally, I prefer the original game, too, of course. But I don't agree with the general criticism of game/movie localisation.
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: Questions... - 01/03/09 06:04 AM
I think films are a whole other debate, honestly. I truly hate dubbed films - won't watch them. They always seem so artificial. I'll take my films with subtitles every time, as I think the original language adds to the flavour of a film.

With games, I'm completely the reverse (Although I do have one in German that is rather good, it's a free game so my tolerances go WAY up! laugh ). I like to completely understand what it is I'm supposed to be doing, I think. With (most) films, getting every word down is not so important.
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Questions... - 01/03/09 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by elgi
Being a games translator, I have to say the argument "jokes get lost in translation" is a very overrated one - since there are not that many such jokes in usual games. It's different with overly humorous games of course but that is not a big part of the cake. And of course there ARE translators who actually are good writers and can save the humour/style/spirit of the original. It goes without saying that you don't find them in Far Asia working for 3 Cents per word. wink

All your base are belong to us! Make your time!
Posted By: Myrthos Re: Lore / fights - 01/03/09 10:30 AM
In The Netherlands movies, television programs and games are only translated for children. There is absolutely no market for a translated version of a movie like Batman or a game like Divinity 2.
Posted By: Lurker Re: Lore / fights - 01/03/09 09:22 PM
What if div2 wasn't translated into Dutch, but produced in Dutch? Would you still prefer the English version? I guess you read books by Dutch or Flemish authors in Dutch, and you watch Dutch movies in Dutch ... so why not play a game by a Flemish studio in Dutch (or Flemish)? Just because you're accustomed to playing games in English? I can't imagine there are no good Dutch or Flemish voice-actors ...

I know a bad (or even mediocre) localization can ruin a game, and I have no problem with playing games in English, but if a German studio produces a game in German (my native tongue), I see no reason why I should buy the English version instead of the German one.

Of course, this is just a hypothetical discussion, since Larian has clearly stated there won't be a Dutch version.
Posted By: Darthvegeta800 Re: Lore / fights - 02/03/09 09:38 AM
I was wondering... will there be windowed mode for the game?
Posted By: Virc Re: Lore / fights - 02/03/09 10:32 AM
the market for a dutch game is off course so small that it wouldn't be worth the investment

cheaper and easier to make it in english
Posted By: Lynn Re: Lore / fights - 02/03/09 10:53 AM
The market for a Dutch game is simply not interesting, same for movies and tv programs. And this is not only the case in Belgium but also in The Netherlands.
We really don’t like dubbed movies, translated games... If you want to punish us, now you know how evil

Usually (and unfortunately) the translation is badly done and we are so used to the original game/movie that this will most likely never change.

And stop convincing us from the opposite! :hihi:
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Lore / fights - 02/03/09 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Lurker
What if div2 wasn't translated into Dutch, but produced in Dutch? Would you still prefer the English version? I guess you read books by Dutch or Flemish authors in Dutch, and you watch Dutch movies in Dutch ... so why not play a game by a Flemish studio in Dutch (or Flemish)? Just because you're accustomed to playing games in English? I can't imagine there are no good Dutch or Flemish voice-actors ...

I know a bad (or even mediocre) localization can ruin a game, and I have no problem with playing games in English, but if a German studio produces a game in German (my native tongue), I see no reason why I should buy the English version instead of the German one.

Of course, this is just a hypothetical discussion, since Larian has clearly stated there won't be a Dutch version.
I think it's mostly about what we're used to. I'm sure I could like a Flemish game done with a Flemish accent, but such a thing would serve to even further alienate the Dutch populace, because their Dutch sounds different.

What I think would be interesting though, is a game where people use imaginary languages and you have a nice margin of choice for subtitle languages. I'd probably play it in both Dutch and English then.
Posted By: Lynn Re: Lore / fights - 02/03/09 01:18 PM
<<I think it's mostly about what we're used to.>>

Partially yes and because of this there's no market, we don't allow one, let's say.

Every now and then I can enjoy a translated movie, usually an animation movie. I do prefer the Flemish version more than the Dutch version. A nice example is the movie Surf's Up. Watch that movie in Flemish, it's hilarious because of the different dialects, especially the Westflemish Chicken Joe biggrin

And the reason animation movies are translated in Belgium is because of the kids.
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Questions... - 02/03/09 04:21 PM
How will we earn gold to buy weapons ect?
would we get it from Quests or do we have to do Jobs?
Whats the estimated length of the game?
Are you free to have conversations with any NPC's?
Is the game set in 1 city or are there several cities to explore?

Lynn or anybody could you answer this plese:)
Sorry for the load of text;)
Posted By: AlphaZen Re: Questions... - 02/03/09 05:20 PM
Money.... please, Larians, don't let animals drop gold. cry
Humanoid enemies ok, why not. But why should animals have gold? Or jewels. Or even weapons? That's so annoying in some of the other games out there. I can't remember any explicit example at this moment, but they are somewhere out there. And they better stay out. ^^
Posted By: drazac Re: Questions... - 02/03/09 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by AlphaZen
But why should animals have gold? Or jewels. Or even weapons?

It could be that animals killed someone who was carrying gold and weapons and they have eaten it all

Will someone from Larian be at Cebit (3.3 - 8.3.2009.)?
Posted By: elgi Re: Questions... - 02/03/09 07:21 PM
It could also be regarded as a simplification: Instead of giving you the animal's skin which you would have to carry along and sell in the next town, the game could just give you a certain amount of money - that's less realistic but also less annoying for the casual gamer. I reckon not many people like it to skin an animal and make clothes of its skin or trade it for other items. smile
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 02/03/09 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Draghermosran
since most entertainment that comes our way, movies, tv, games etc.. is in english, possibly subtitled. It's something we've grown accustomed to. When its dubbed in dutch, it just sounds wrong and cheap.

I'm waiting until the day the people from Belgium stop speaking their own languages because they believe it sounds wrong and cheap.
And then they'll accept English as the only national language ...
Because they've grown too much accustomed to it ...
Posted By: Raze Re: Questions... - 02/03/09 09:09 PM

There is currently a windowed mode in the game for testing purposes, which may be left in the released game (as an unsupported feature IIRC... don't recall exactly what Lar said).

I don't have a problem with animals dropping gold as a substitution for hauling fur, etc back to town to sell (realism is fine in a game as long as it is not tedious). If claws, scales, etc were more useful (used in alchemy or forging equipment) then I would not mind collecting them.
Other than that, I assume gold would be available from some quests, selling loot, defeating opponents (human thugs and trolls that live under/near bridges would be expected to have gold). I would guess no on the jobs (at least not required ones).

Before balancing the game, Lar estimated somewhere around 40-75 hours playtime, based on doubling or tripling the time taken to rush through in god mode.

Based on DD and BD, I would say you can probably talk to any friendly NPC, but they are not all going to have a lot to say (which in D2ED may depend on quests or decisions made previously).

There are several town and cities to explore; at least the starting village and Aleroth (changed from the days of DD) have been mentioned.
Posted By: Foetsy Re: Questions... - 03/03/09 10:35 AM
in a very early screenshot there was a roadsign to verdistis.
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Lore / fights - 03/03/09 10:49 AM
<>

Partially yes and because of this there's no market, we don't allow one, let's say.

Every now and then I can enjoy a translated movie, usually an animation movie. I do prefer the Flemish version more than the Dutch version. A nice example is the movie Surf's Up. Watch that movie in Flemish, it's hilarious because of the different dialects, especially the Westflemish Chicken Joe biggrin

And the reason animation movies are translated in Belgium is because of the kids.
Right Lynn!

You should check out Chicken Little... that one's pretty hilarious in Dutch!
Posted By: Sektor Re: Questions... - 03/03/09 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
I'm waiting until the day the people from Belgium stop speaking their own languages because they believe it sounds wrong and cheap.

Actually, if everybody in the world would do that, that would make our job A LOT easier: no more localizations for the game, the manual, ... We'd have way more time to add in more fun and useful features wink
Posted By: Raze Re: Lore / fights - 03/03/09 02:36 PM

in a very early screenshot there was a roadsign to verdistis.

That was from an area created to test the game engine, not from the game itself. Verdistis may be in the game, but that screenshot doesn't necessarily prove that.
Posted By: swalnak Re: Lore / fights - 03/03/09 04:10 PM
Does equipment still use durability, & is exp general or broken down?
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: Questions... - 03/03/09 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Sektor

Actually, if everybody in the world would do that, that would make our job A LOT easier: no more localizations for the game, the manual, ... We'd have way more time to add in more fun and useful features wink

Would make communication throughout the world one heck of a lot easier, too! I am hugely in favour of this idea. I think in time there will be a universal language, but not for a few centuries yet at least, sadly...
Posted By: elgi Re: Questions... - 03/03/09 06:25 PM
Hopefully not! Hello, me translator. Me needs the money. Me needs the work!
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Questions... - 03/03/09 07:53 PM
Divine Divinity had only a finite amount of Experience available. Since the mind-reading skill costs experience, does Divinity 2 also only have a finite abount of experience available?
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Questions... - 04/03/09 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Elliot_Kane

Would make communication throughout the world one heck of a lot easier, too! I am hugely in favour of this idea. I think in time there will be a universal language, but not for a few centuries yet at least, sadly...
Not me. Even though I can see its use in terms of communication, i think cultural identity is important, and language is a major part of that. If we could retain our mother tongue and the english language, it would be great, but if everyone started speaking a universal tongue, I fear that most languages would get lost eventually. Certain dialects are disappearing as it is, here, and I feel that's a bit distressing.

There's a reason the Rosetta Stone is one of the most important ancient artifacts. There's so much we've forgotten about our past, and it's the past which makes the present.
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: Questions... - 04/03/09 10:01 AM
Past determines present, yes. But isn't it about time humanity as a whole looked to build a future? Ease of communication has to be a major part of that.
Posted By: Foetsy Re: Questions... - 04/03/09 11:47 AM
Learning one common language (say Esperanto) doesn't mean you'll lose the motherlanguage. Welsh nearly died out 30 years ago, because everyone began to speak English. Now Welsh is back as the motherlanguage (and they still speak English too).
Posted By: Lurker Re: Questions... - 04/03/09 11:53 AM
For those who understand German: We recently had a very similar discussion about a universal language in the Chat (German) section, starting with Esperanto here.
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Questions... - 04/03/09 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Foetsy
Learning one common language (say Esperanto) doesn't mean you'll lose the motherlanguage. Welsh nearly died out 30 years ago, because everyone began to speak English. Now Welsh is back as the motherlanguage (and they still speak English too).
Actually, it does. I'm sure that, if nobody took upon themselves the task to champion the rediscovery of Welsh language, it would have eventually died out. I see it enough here. It's alarming how fast certain dialects disappear. Generally that is the consequence of having to do everything in another language. If everyone here had to do all official communication in English, unofficial would soon follow and the language would slowly but surely, die.

At this point, I think we're not doing enough to preserve our cultural diversity, and while I applaud those who would simplify communication, I must also insist that we not forget who we are and where we come from. Perhaps there is a middle ground, where the mother tongue could be combined with a universal language, but that would probably mean an autonomy of lingual entities instead of the current nations, which is rather impossible at this time. It's so strange that there are three languages in Belgium. adding a universal tongue which everyone is required to know, on top of that, is just silly talk. So you would first have to divide those lingual subnations - which is proving to be far more difficult than suspected.
Posted By: Lynn Re: Questions... - 04/03/09 01:21 PM
Euhm... we are going off topic now, could you please continue this discussion in the General Chat board please?

thankyou
Posted By: Foetsy Re: Questions... - 05/03/09 06:46 AM
continued in general chat: link
Posted By: drazac Re: Questions... - 07/03/09 07:16 PM
Out of curiosity, how much money Divinity 2 PC version did cost you so far and how much more are you going to spend till the release date?
Can you give an estimated guess, how many units you need to sell, for PC version only, to pay up the cost of game development
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 07/03/09 11:25 PM
Are there Unicorns in the game ??? smile

(And I don't mean as enemies ...)
Posted By: Virc Re: Questions... - 09/03/09 09:37 AM
unicorns would be cool but have a limited use, you could only ride them if you are a virgin

so anywhere you would go people would point and laugh at you
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Questions... - 09/03/09 12:04 PM
unicorns haven't always been gentle creatures of the forest, you know...
Posted By: Merendrious Re: Questions... - 09/03/09 12:27 PM
That's true smile :
unicorns
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 09/03/09 09:58 PM
Well, in my world they are. wink

And, by the way, there is no need to ride them ... wink

I rather see them as strong creatures with their own free will - very similar to what people usually think of Dragons.

In my own fantasy world, Unicorns are very similar in terms of life-spand and wisdom and powers to Dragons. With the only exception that Unicorns cannot fly and are therefore earth-bound.

In the multi-author-story "On the road again" of the German-language community here, I let one Unicorn drastically heal a horse, which is from then on travelling with it, because of something Star Wars fans would call a "life det", but in my invention it is rather some kind of IOU.

I wrote "drastically", because this horse needed very strong magic to be healed. In fact, part of the horse kind of consists or is constantly held together by pure magic the Unicorn used. At least, until the destroyed body is reasabled again. Wounds and bones need some time to heal naturally. Therefore, the body was held to gether by the Unicorn's strong magic, kind of a mixture between a broken arm in plaster and a kind of "cyborg" held together by magic (you can see a kind of opposite to that in Darth Sion of KOTOR2). But when all bones and the flesh is healed, the magic will disappear, because there is no need/use for it anymore. But until the body is fully healed, the horse is in part held together by the Unicorn's Magic.

Posted By: Virc Re: Questions... - 10/03/09 09:33 AM
Well there is a pretty well known book trilogy where the main character is a unicorn but i never got into it. I mean its a bloody story about horses, i kept thinking i needed some french fries and Bearnaise sauce.
Posted By: The Endless Re: Questions... - 10/03/09 10:59 AM
@ Alrik,

Are any of your storys online in english?
Posted By: drazac Re: Questions... - 10/03/09 05:38 PM
1) In combat gameplay video presentation that took place at GDC, i've noticed there is no "player based aiming" when using bows, instead its auto aiming. Is that true?

2) How many enemies we will face on screen... will it be like hordes in Diablo 2 of 20+ monsters, or maybe like the group of 5-6 monsters like in The Witcher... or something in between?
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Questions... - 10/03/09 05:41 PM
Seems like Devs are busy...
Where are you Dev's I've posted a couple questions that I need answering please:)
I think they're on Pge 4/5 If you want me to post them here just post here and I will.

I seriously can not wait I hope they announce a Official date all we is Summer *June Hint Hint*
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 10/03/09 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by The Endless
@ Alrik,

Are any of your storys online in english?

I think I translated a few. Look into the "RPG Chat (English) section of this forum (the secion has several pages).
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 10/03/09 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Virc
Well there is a pretty well known book trilogy where the main character is a unicorn but i never got into it. I mean its a bloody story about horses, i kept thinking i needed some french fries and Bearnaise sauce.

Try "Night Mare" by Piers Anthony, it's quite funny, imho. wink
Posted By: Virc Re: Questions... - 11/03/09 09:32 AM
I was thinking the firebringer trilogy http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/meredith-ann-pierce/

and yes Pierce Anthony is funny but i dont remember reading Night Mare , just his Xanth series will keep you busy for a while and is also his best known work

btw if you like Pierce Anthony it might be worth checking out Robert Asprin, especially his MYTH series http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/a/robert-asprin/
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: Questions... - 11/03/09 11:52 AM
Night Mare is part of the Xanth series smile I have all the early Xanth novels. I think Piers kinda lost the plot about a dozen books in, though, so I haven't read the later novels in the series.

Robert Asprin is indeed awesome. His MYTH series is great, though his troubles with the tax people have made for some problems.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 11/03/09 03:59 PM
Thanks. I'll take a look at it.

My biggest wish is to be able to write some fantasy novels, too. but I just lack two things:

- energy
- ability to develop a good plot

Therefore I can do nothing but write short stories.
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Questions... - 11/03/09 08:27 PM
I feel your pain. I never got past 50 pages, and eventually stopped trying.
Posted By: Macbeth Re: Questions... - 12/03/09 09:34 AM
Short stories are an art in itself.
Posted By: Virc Re: Questions... - 12/03/09 10:10 AM
yeah but pulpy high fantasy is where the money is at :p
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: Questions... - 12/03/09 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Macbeth
Short stories are an art in itself.

Too right!
Posted By: Greever Re: Questions... - 12/03/09 05:28 PM
Although I'm hardly a big writer, some suggestions:

-Read up on the Hero's Journey: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth
-Combine 2 stories. Alternate chapters between one and the other
character(s). This is a great way to add small cliffhangers aswell midstory.
Once in a while have them meet eachother and use common places, elements and
people in both stories.
-Add multiple points of view: Not just main hero fighting the big bad, but
for instance also the bid bad's closest advisor. This will make the penultimate
chapter where your 2 main protagonists meet very interesting.
-Don't be afraid of using anti-heroes; personally I find Batman more interesting than Superman, Lara Croft more interesting than Link from Zelda.

Just my 2 cents,
Greever
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 12/03/09 06:19 PM
Hello, thanks for your advices.

I think I'll copy them. wink
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 12/03/09 06:26 PM
I've got a question:

Do the interactive environments of the kids-themed games have any influence to the gameplay of div2 ?
Posted By: Doppel Re: Questions... - 13/03/09 06:55 AM
Hi, new poster, loved DD immensely and all that, also Flemish. (and ew, no dubbed version please, lol)

A couple of questions if i may (if they're already answered then i hope a nice fellow forum dweller will link me to them).

-Will the game have as much dialogue as the first one? (i hope so)

-Will the game still have its typical humor? (especially in dialogue)

Ty.
Posted By: Raze Re: Questions... - 13/03/09 07:24 AM

I would guess there will be more dialog in D2:ED than DD, especially considering the multiple quest paths, etc.
Lar stated previously that the conversation tree is so elaborate that adding significant differences for male and female characters would have been impractical. Talking about preparing to do the voice recordings, he mentioned an excel file containing around 131000 fields of data (Some of those fields would probably have to be reference numbers, though, and it was not mentioned how much dialog there was per field).

I'd be surprised if they didn't keep the same humour in the dialog (and easter eggs, some of the side quests, etc).

Welcome to the forum. wave
Posted By: Doppel Re: Questions... - 14/03/09 01:20 AM
I understand how voice recording every line is very time consuming, not to mention very expensive, surely if the game will possibly be having more dialogue then the previous game, which in itself is great news.

Thanks. smile
Posted By: Lynn Re: Questions... - 17/03/09 03:54 PM
Hello all wave

As you can expect we are very busy wink
But I have collected all your questions and you can expect a reply pretty soon.
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Questions... - 17/03/09 04:25 PM
Thanks.
Busy doing what ay?
Cant wait for more info
Posted By: Lynn Re: Questions... - 17/03/09 05:15 PM
If they can't finish what they are busy with, there's simply no info in the end...
So a little more patience please.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 17/03/09 10:07 PM
there's simply no info in the end...

... Imho I'd rather prefer the opposite ... wink
Posted By: Elliot_Kane Re: Questions... - 17/03/09 10:14 PM
In the 'info vrs game' stakes, I think I'd prefer the game, personally!

As I've said before, when there's stuff to tell us, the Larians will tell us. They always do smile
Posted By: Lynn Re: Questions... - 18/03/09 05:40 PM
Ok, here goes wink Thank you to Farhang, Lead Designer of div2 !

---

Will we get to name our character? Like, first name and last name, and then get called that by the populace instead of just "Dragonslayer" and "hero"?
Yes you will get to name your character and no the populace will address you with your title which is Slayer.

How will we earn gold to buy weapons etc? Would we get it from Quests or do we have to do jobs?
Money drops as part of loot and money is given as a reward. Also there are enough junk and valuable items to be found in the world that you can sell to traders throughout the game.

Will there be an Italian version of the game?
There will be an Italian translation of the game but the spoken text will be English with Italian subtitles e.g. dialogs.

What’s the estimated length of the game?
We think around fifty hours

Are you free to have conversations with any NPC?
Yes you are, we even encourage it with witty dialogs all over.

Is the game set in 1 city or are there several cities to explore?
There are several small settlements/villages and one city.

Does equipment still use durability, & is exp general or broken down?
Equipment does not use durability and XP is “spent” and “earned” through out the game wink

Divine Divinity had only a finite amount of Experience available. Since the mind-reading skill costs experience, does Divinity 2 also only have a finite amount of experience available?

The amount of spent XP on mindreads can result in impressive rewards that could boost your character beyond what you could have achieved if you would have saved up all your XP.

In the combat game play video presentation that took place at GDC, I’ve noticed there is no "player based aiming" when using bows, instead its auto aiming. Is that true?
Yes auto aiming is active at all times to ensure smooth and easy gameplay. Tactical decisions become more important when skill based aiming is minimized.

How many enemies will we face on screen... will it be like hordes in Diablo 2 of 20+ monsters, or maybe like the group of 5-6 monsters like in The Witcher... or something in between?

It’s the best of both worlds! You’ll experience high-octane dense combat during the dragon flights and controllable tactical combat with a limited amount of characters on the ground.

Do the interactive environments of the kids-themed games have any influence to the game play of Divinity 2?
Yes we allow the player to paint and make music in the dungeons :hihi:

Will the game have as much dialogue as the first one?
I think the word count is more or less the same, though I’d have to check.

Will the game still have its typical humor? (Especially in the dialogues)
Yes it will!
Posted By: The Endless Re: Questions... - 18/03/09 06:45 PM
Lynn and Farhang - and everyone else who have part in the answers - thanks! All the answers are very positive in my book - things I had hoped for! birthdayjump celebrate
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Questions... - 18/03/09 06:46 PM
OMG....
Thanks for that Lynn and Farhang.
50 Hours of Gameplay thats great it will keep me entertained defo
I will post more questions for you to answer when I think of more.:)
Keep working hard.
Posted By: drazac Re: Questions... - 18/03/09 07:29 PM
Thank you for taking some time to answer our questions smile

I like what I'm hearing so far... except auto aim... but if the game is more tactical, then i guess that's fine... however we still need to c how "tactical" combat will be
Posted By: AlphaZen Re: Questions... - 18/03/09 08:18 PM
Thanks for the answers. smile

One more question to add from my side, though:

How does the female version of "the slayer" look like? Will there be any pictures soon?
Posted By: juanpablo87 Re: Questions... - 18/03/09 08:40 PM
Thx Lynn for the answers; and it' s awesome that we will have an Italian version of the game (spoken English is fine because is better than italian one XD).

Why equipment does not use durability?
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 18/03/09 10:52 PM
Thank you for the answers smile , although I'm quite puzzled with the one to my own question ... delight
Posted By: corwin Re: Questions... - 18/03/09 11:40 PM
Thanks Lynn, posted this at the Watch.
Posted By: Arkray Re: Questions... - 19/03/09 09:06 AM
Thanks for the answers!!! birthdayjump I can't wait to play it
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Questions... - 23/03/09 05:08 PM
Lynn or any other Dev I've got another question smile
Will there be a demo for xbox 360?
Posted By: DrunkenTofu Re: Questions... - 26/03/09 10:25 AM
One question: there will not be isometric, hmm?

Oh well, hoping that third person camera won't make me so sick as first person view does. :P
Posted By: Myrthos Re: Questions... - 26/03/09 11:10 AM
The latest official answer to that is:
The game is primarily played in third person view. It is however possible to zoom in close to the player or out to get something like an isometric view.
Posted By: DrunkenTofu Re: Questions... - 26/03/09 02:04 PM
Oh, that's good. smile Third person camera isn't too bad if it's optimised nicely.
Posted By: DrunkenTofu Re: Questions... - 02/04/09 01:00 AM
Will there be shades of morality in this game that's about consequences and how NPCs react towards you? I just can't remember that. =P
Posted By: The Scourge Re: Questions... - 05/04/09 09:13 PM
Ive got a question about the dragon armor. How will u get it will u have to quest for it? And im pretty sure someone said about customizing your dragon so does that mean as in the dragons looks or something else?
Posted By: Lynn Re: Questions... - 06/04/09 01:12 PM
Here's again a small forum FAQ thanks to Farhang wink

--

The first question refers to the previous FAQ:
Q: Does equipment still use durability, & is exp general or broken down?
A: Equipment does not use durability and XP is “spent” and “earned” through out the game

Durability slows down the gameplay, in order to keep it streamlined and avoid traveling back and forth to blacksmiths we removed it.

How does the female version of "the slayer" look like? Will there be any pictures soon?
Check http://www.divinity2.com – you should find some there.

Has there been a publisher announced for North America yet?
We are still negotiating.

Will we see connections between the 3 games (Beyond Divinity, Divine Divinity and Divinity 2)?
There is a general story continuation and of course lots of winks to the other Divinities are present that only the vigilant gamers will notice wink

The brothel area in Divine Divinity was hilarious... :p
I'd love to see a return of that area laugh Can we?

The times have changed and our hands are tied by the ratings. Still, we came up with some stuff…

Will there be a demo for Xbox 360?
We’ve got plans for one, but no final decision has been made on that front.

Will there be shades of morality in this game that's about consequences and how NPCs react towards you?
Sure there will, we’re putting the player in some very tough moral situations, we even have a cave that we call the “Morals Cave”.

I’ve got a question about the dragon armor. How will u get it: will u have to quest for it? And I am pretty sure someone said about customizing your dragon, so does that mean as in the dragons looks or something else?
The player quests to find his dragon armor and with that he can customize the looks of his dragon.

Posted By: drazac Re: Questions... - 06/04/09 02:16 PM
I'd love to see a return of that area laugh Can we?
The times have changed and our hands are tied by the ratings. Still, we came up with some stuff…

What rating will D2 have?

I’ve got a question about the dragon armor. How will u get it: will u have to quest for it? And I am pretty sure someone said about customizing your dragon, so does that mean as in the dragons looks or something else?
The player quests to find his dragon armor and with that he can customize the looks of his dragon.

It will be cool if certain (if there are different dragon armors in the game) dragon armors can morph together with the player when he/she transforms into dragon... so, if you are in a human form, dragon armor will take form suited for human body and when player transforms, dragon armor will transform into its dragon suited form smile
Posted By: Myrthos Re: Questions... - 06/04/09 02:33 PM
Durability slows down the gameplay, in order to keep it streamlined and avoid traveling back and forth to blacksmiths we removed it.

That's one way to look at it. Durability is about making choices. If it is a skill it is a choice to take it or not. If not then you have to take care of what weapons you use. I would consider it to be an addition to gameplay.
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Questions... - 06/04/09 03:09 PM
Will the Publisher for North America hold up release I really hope not your fans in Europe are heavily anticipating this game smile wink
Hope we do get a demo hopefully before release?
Posted By: The Scourge Re: Questions... - 06/04/09 05:32 PM
Thanks for the answers Lynn. biggrin
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Questions... - 06/04/09 05:58 PM
This is just a lore question, so it's not that important, but...

What Rivellon year did Divine Divinity take place in, and what year is it in Divinity 2?

There were some names for the months of the Rivellon calendar given in DD – (January = Aventuris, September = Sembten, October = Octavianus), are there canon names for the other months?
Posted By: flixerflax Re: Questions... - 06/04/09 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Myrthos
Durability is about making choices. If it is a skill it is a choice to take it or not. If not then you have to take care of what weapons you use. I would consider it to be an addition to gameplay.

Agreed. And it's removal is a limitation (albeit a minor one). Trips to merchants are neccessary anyway, I never really found repairing troublesome. (DD, D2, Titan Quest, can't really think of any other games that used it).

On a broader note, "streamlining" is not always a good thing. It can run periously close to "dumbing down." Take the upcoming Diablo III, which has all but removed the role playing from "Action-RPG" - no more buying those pesky potions (baddies drop health orbs as in a FPS) no more headaches over confusing stat points (auto-leveling of attributes now), no more relying on hotkeys, it can all be done with just the mouse, with virtually no trips to merchants, just click click click on monsters from game start to finish!

It's a bad trend. Not that Divinity 2 seems to be coming anywhere close to this, mind you. I just can't help feeling alarmed any time developers say they're eliminating choices in the interest of making the action more non-stop or for whatever reason. It's not all about action. It's about stepping into the shoes of your character and becoming as immersed in his/her world as possible.

I'd love to see a return of that area \:D Can we?
The times have changed and our hands are tied by the ratings.

BTW, what is Div2 going to be rated anyway? 6 and up or something? It's not like Divinity 1 was The Witcher or anything...
Posted By: Equisilus Re: Questions... - 06/04/09 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by flixerflax
Agreed. And it's removal is a limitation (albeit a minor one). Trips to merchants are neccessary anyway, I never really found repairing troublesome. (DD, D2, Titan Quest, can't really think of any other games that used it).

Titan Quest didn't use any form of durability/repair on equipment. Everything kept its same quality throughout.

But, I agree. Repairing would not be bothersome. I actually prefer the added complexity of managing worn weapons, although I fully understand why some people find that aspect of gaming tedious. I think that removing durability is a good thing overall, as more people would be annoyed by its inclusion than would be bothered by its removal.
Posted By: drazac Re: Questions... - 10/04/09 05:41 PM
How complex will character leveling system be? Same as DD, upgraded DD system, simplified like in Mass Effect or something completely new?

How complex will item attributes and bonuses system be? Simplified with only attributes like damage and attack speed for weapons, amount of armor for helms, gauntlets etc, same or similar to DD were items gave bonuses such as, +x points to strength, constitution etc., upgraded with lots of attributes and bonuses?
Posted By: Raze Re: Questions... - 10/04/09 06:37 PM

I don't know about leveling, but the equipment attribute system should be at least as complex as DD and BD (except for dropping durability, which is more of a 'make work project' than an addition to gameplay, anyway).

From the topic Skill synergy;
The entire idea behind having a classless skill system is to acutally provide both skill combos and synergy. The philosophy behind all of this goes actually one step further - by allowing equipment/stats/items and skills to affect each other, you allow for a great variety of character builds, increasing the depth of your character development system.
Posted By: Lynn Re: Questions... - 15/04/09 09:19 AM
More questions and answers thanks to Macbeth! smile

--

Hope we do get a demo, hopefully before the release?
That has yet to be decided.

In which Rivellon year did Divine Divinity take place, and in which year is it in Divinity 2?
We don’t actually have a set year in mind, but some sixty odd years have passed since Damian escaped from Nemesis at the end of Beyond Divinity, which means the events take place about eighty years after the story of Divine Divinity.

How complex will the character leveling system be? Same as DD, upgraded DD system, simplified like in Mass Effect or something completely new?
The game boasts five attributes you can spend statpoints on that influence six more resistances and modifiers. Add more than sixty distinctive skills to the mix and you get a good idea of how deep the RPG experience can take you. Everything is designed so that you can make every character you want, whether that is the straightforward axe-first-talk-later barbarian or a woodsman who deftly uses his summoning skills to give his enemies a target, then dodges out by hiding in the shadows and strikes down his confused enemies from afar with poison-tipped arrows. You decide.

How complex will item attributes and bonuses systems be? Simplified with only attributes like damage and attack speed for weapons, amount of armor for helms, gauntlets etc, same or similar to DD were items gave bonuses such as, +x points to strength, constitution etc., upgraded with lots of attributes and bonuses?
Items will definitely be as varied as they were in Divine and Beyond Divinity, so to weapon damage and armour rating you can add the augmentation of skills and attributes, and on top of that, many of the more powerful items can be charmed as well as enchanted!

If the player transforms into a Dragon, will he still be able to walk on the ground?
No, the Dragon is the master of the sky. Human combat is very versatile as it is, so a walking Dragon would actually spoil the fun. But don’t for a second think there won’t be enough to burn to cinders in the air…

Can you change the Dragon's form and will the form change the gameplay (beause that Elf Dragon looks SOOOOOO GOOOD)?!
The Dragon has a fixed appearance – though you have the male and female variety. So you can’t become a Dragon Elf, but believe me when I say becoming a Dragon is way cooler. Also, the different types of armour will give your Dragon a unique flavour, so you’re good there.

I know that you can breathe fire, but can you choose between fireball, and flamethrower?
Yes indeed, the Dragon has a variety of different skills, and fireball and fire breath are among them.

Are there uses for the mouth and the claws, like biting heads of or taking "passengers"?
No, the Dragon is all about ranged combat

Will the Dragon growl, if yes, can I manually growl?
The Dragon does roar and growl, but it does not have a horn function.

Can you become a vampire? (=joke :-D).
Our dark lord Dracula has requested not to be impersonated in video games. (Those Castlevania guys don’t know what they have coming.)

Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Questions... - 15/04/09 09:23 AM
I've got a quick question.
Will negotiating a NA Publisher delay European Release?
Posted By: The Endless Re: Questions... - 15/04/09 10:19 AM
I am soo glad that the level and skill system is to widely ranged - and yey! the item/bonus system sounds like DD!! Is it possible to reload to get better stats on items like in DD?
Thanks for all the dragon details - This is going to be a great gameing experience! groovy
Posted By: The EvilAlex Re: Questions... - 15/04/09 10:53 AM
Thanks!!!
Posted By: The EvilAlex Re: Questions... - 15/04/09 11:34 AM
And I like to throw in a couple of questions.

1. How many NPC's will we see in the city, Villages(I prefer crowded areas)??

2. DLC(This game is a perfect DLC material)??

3. At the beginning of the game, will we be able to create a character, if yes, how deep will the system be(Face, Upper Body, Lower Body, etc...)??
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 15/04/09 02:05 PM
Will there be more ... strange damage types like we've seen in beyond ? Something like Shadow, ethereal and bone ?
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 22/04/09 06:23 PM
I've already found something in the FAQ I don't like. biggrin

But on the other hand you all know me already, don't you ? biggrin

Expect some rather harsh and theatralical remarks from me. wink

It's this:

sometimes playing nice isn’t always the most profitable solution!

Huh ? Being evil becomes more rewarded than being nice ? How that ?

Is this a downfall towards the current fashion in gaming that "evil is so cool" ?

Assuming that most players are driven by greed - biggest weapon, most cash, most amount of experience points - I do expect that the number of gamers following the "evil path" will be more than the number of "nice" players ... especially that "playing nice" is rather frowned upon as being some kind of weakness within the current fashion of "dark & gritty gaming", with playing evil = being cool !

I guess I'd have to found a club of low-end characters / players, then. biggrin Smallest sword, smallest amount of cash, smallest amount of experienced points ... wink
Posted By: The EvilAlex Re: Questions... - 22/04/09 06:59 PM
I have no prob with that, I like being Evil, it's rewording and cool.
Posted By: flixerflax Re: Questions... - 22/04/09 11:45 PM
Alrik, I would hope that it would be balanced. I think it's a good thing that you might be able to still profit from making the "bad" choices, otherwise what's the point of even having choices? The standard in almost all RPG's is to give you the biggest profit and experience, etc. from making the most noble choice. Lo and behold we have other viable options now and it's the "downfall of games." No need to distort this quote to the extreme and assume your peace-loving virtuous ways will mean you fail at the game, or any game for that matter, including the "dark and gritty" games like The Witcher or Dragon Age.

Plenty of people are going to roleplay and make most of the same choices they would in real life, that includes not lying and cheating and killing and screwing over NPC's that don't deserve it. I can't imagine that the Larians would punish people for taking this path. It doesn't say "playing dirty is the most profitable solution." It says sometimes playing nice isn't always the most profitable. Yes, this is more realistic and I like that. It doesn't mean the Larians are creating an amoral world where everyone knifes everyone in the back, steals their stuff and sleeps with their spouse.
Posted By: The EvilAlex Re: Questions... - 23/04/09 10:40 AM
They defiantly can't go "We like Good/Evil more and that's why we will reword Good/Evil more".
Fable is a great example here.
The rewords need to be equal, but different, so it would fit for Evil/Good character.
Posted By: The EvilAlex Re: Questions... - 23/04/09 10:58 AM
I just thought of another question.
1. How big is the sea(I'm asking this because I would like to fly as a Dragon over the sea).

And Ill post my previous questions here so it's easier to find them.

1. How many NPC's will we see in the city, Villages(I prefer crowded areas)??

2. DLC(This game is a perfect DLC material)??

3. At the beginning of the game, will we be able to create a character, if yes, how deep will the system be(Face, Upper Body, Lower Body, etc...)??
Posted By: Sektor Re: Questions... - 23/04/09 11:36 AM
Huh ? Being evil becomes more rewarded than being nice ? How that ?

Is this a downfall towards the current fashion in gaming that "evil is so cool" ?

You shouldn't see it as just 'good vs. evil' decisions. Divinity 2 is not built up as a black-and-white game -- the choices you make during the game go a lot deeper than that.

Our designers have done their very best to make each choice as valid or viable as the other, without you being able to say: "this choice is only for good characters, and this choice is only for evil characters."

Besides, each choice has a different effect on the different characters in game. Take, for example, the well-known love-letter quest: if you deliver the letter without opening it, you may help the two lovers but hurt the husband at the same time. On the other hand, if you open the letter and confront the wife, you may have done the exact opposite (or even something completely different -- who knows?) And the other choices in this quest have even different outcomes, some beneficial and others not.

Just remember, there is no absolute evil and no absolute good. Everybody in the game has his or her own reasons for doing what they do. All this reflects in the central theme of the game: a Dragon Slayer turning Dragon Knight. Who is good and who is evil?

Finish the game, and then let me know your answer wink
Posted By: Lynn Re: Questions... - 23/04/09 12:37 PM
Finish the game, and then let me know your answer wink

Now, that's what I call evil! evil oops
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 23/04/09 01:30 PM
Okay, I see your intentions ...

Originally Posted by The EvilAlex
I have no prob with that, I like being Evil, it's rewording and cool.

But this is the style of thought I think which is catered nowadays in too many games !

Fewer games include things like diplomacy, because it is seen as "weak". Too many people believe that no-so-evil-choices are made by losers. Everyone wants to be a GTA millionaire !

I received a newsletter of Atari Germany some days ago. It read: "Be Riddick, the most brutal criminal of the Universe !"
Now, I wonder, what kind of people are those who feel like wanting to play a game where they can be the most brutal of all criminals ?

I cannot understand this.

I think that div2 will be a rather unique experience, but I can't close my eyes before developments in gaming I saw/see over the last years ...
Posted By: Raze Re: Questions... - 24/04/09 03:58 PM

Fewer games include things like diplomacy, because it is seen as "weak".

More likely it is just too much text, which is counted as a negative with many casual and/or illiterate gamers (and increases localization costs).
Also, if diplomacy isn't one of the main focuses of the game, then adding that option is a lot of extra work and game complexity for a path that probably a relatively small minority of players are going to choose.

I recently came across a reference to a freeware adventure game called Cult...

Using negotiation and trade, one must resolve a situation involving barricaded cultists in a villa two kilometers away from town.

As you play, you wander around the villa, meeting some of the brainwashed cult members (and some reasonable people). You talk to them, find out what they want, and trade items with them for information. You learn a little about the social structure of the cult and even get to save some lives. Advancing from room to room, you find keys to locked doors and operate switches to remove barriers.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 07/05/09 08:35 PM
Apart from the mind reading : Are there non-combat skills and/or spells as well ?

Is there something in the game that supports (and rewards) social interaction ? Social role-play ?
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Questions... - 08/05/09 11:24 AM
Does mind reading give you hints to things you could find out through exploration, or is it the only way to get certain outcomes?

For example, the letter quest you can mind-read the wife to learn about a key hidden on the roof. Is the key there even if you don't mind read her, and the second time through the game, you can get it without mind-reading (and losing XP), or does mind-reading trigger the key to appear?
Posted By: Myrthos Re: Questions... - 08/05/09 02:43 PM
At the Games Convention Lar mentioned that the key was there always and that you would be able to find it even without mindreading. You just wouldn't know what the key was for though.
Posted By: Lar_q Re: Questions... - 08/05/09 05:18 PM
Quick 5 cents from another realm: Sometimes you can find it without mindreading, other times you can't. The example with the farmer and his wife is one where you don't need to mindread to find the key, but there are situations where something just isn't there if you don't mindread.
Posted By: Greever Re: Questions... - 09/05/09 08:52 PM
To clarify, two examples:

Farmer and his wife: Mindread tells you the location of the key.
The key is always there whether you mindread or not.

Someone's password protected magic coffer: Mindreading the owner gives you the password.
The password only appears as a dialog option after the mindread.

In the case of the key, we want to reward people who adventure out into the world or look in every square meter of a house to find the secrets. So you can either get the key by mindreading or you can spend time to look everywhere and get the reward that way.

In the case of the password, since a dialog has a limited set of replies when the password is asked, it would be too easy to get lucky. That's why in those cases it was decided to leave out the password until after the mindread.

Posted By: turi Re: Questions... - 10/05/09 02:41 PM

Hope we do get a demo, hopefully before the release?
That has yet to be decided.

any news on that ?

i would really like to see a demo.
but not 2 days before release!

a month would be a nice gap between demo and release to get some attention.
Posted By: Equisilus Re: Questions... - 10/05/09 10:13 PM
Having a demo would, of course, imply a "finished" version of the game. They wouldn't want to put out a demo that has bugs or other issues that may detract from the experience. After all, the demo is supposed to highlight the good to get people to buy; putting out an unfinished demo (i.e. the game's not polished yet) wouldn't be a good idea.
Posted By: turi Re: Questions... - 11/05/09 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Equisilus
After all, the demo is supposed to highlight the good to get people to buy; putting out an unfinished demo (i.e. the game's not polished yet) wouldn't be a good idea.

but the best money is made with release and preorder sales.

if a game doesnt get enoug attention in front of the release, people will buy it used or wait till its gone budget.

so they just need to cut a piece out of the game , finish it fast, and demo it.

a demo weeks after release doesnt help much to hype a game.

and the bigger the hype the more they can sell fast.
Posted By: drazac Re: Questions... - 11/05/09 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by turi
but the best money is made with release and preorder sales.

I think this type of "system" works best for consoles, but for PC it's a different story ... while a console game, in order to return profit, needs to sell millions of copies (do to high cost of development) in a short timeline, PC game returns profit to devs after months and even years after the game hit the stores and even then, the PC sales rarely reach 1M mark, but if it does (even if it sells 500k copies), it is mayor success for devs and publishers... ofcourse there are exceptions, like Blizz titles (WoW, SC, Diablo) and EA titles (like Sims)

As for demo, personally, I don't need one, just focus on full game and everything will be 'allrite wink
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Questions... - 11/05/09 11:53 AM

so they just need to cut a piece out of the game , finish it fast, and demo it.
You, sir, are the devil.

That's the very thing we computernerds have been complaining about for years.
Posted By: turi Re: Questions... - 12/05/09 07:55 AM
the biggest problem for me is, i just cant match dd2 with any other games.

how is it like?

like Gothic?
like Two Worlds?
like Fable?

This game needs a lot of ingame vids or a demo.

look at Arcania,Risen or Dragon Age.
these games are a half year away from release but theres some or maybe a lot ingame Stuff for them.
i can really imagine how this games are, but thers nothing out there for dd2.

just some short lowres vids. nothing really clear how the game really is.
and this so short before release.
Posted By: Arkray Re: Questions... - 12/05/09 10:19 AM

these games are a half year away from release but theres some or maybe a lot ingame Stuff for them.

Sorry but Arcania???? There is not a single video, just screens that may very well be renders. Risen? Landscape videos, nothing official about gameplay a part of the RPC videos. Dragon Age? I better not opine about this one, its main problem is too much hype, too much info and it being too far away from release and that gives the marketing guys ridiculos ideas to create ridiculos videos... badsmile

There is more and better info about Div2, but there is a big need of videos!!! no violent ones and without weird music please
Posted By: swordscythe Re: Questions... - 12/05/09 11:30 AM

how is it like?

like Gothic?
like Two Worlds?
like Fable?

This game needs a lot of ingame vids or a demo.

It's nothing like Fable. It's more gritty like Two Worlds and Gothic. I would compare it most to Gothic III, except that it won't be rushed and brought out with bug upon bug, and broken quest upon broken quest. I recently played that game, and really, without the bugs, imbalance, and general brokenness, gothic III would've been a fantastic game.

So here's to a finished product!
Posted By: drazac Re: Questions... - 12/05/09 11:40 AM
how is it like?
like Gothic?
like Two Worlds?
like Fable?

Maybe D2 is not meant to be matched with above games... maybe it will stand on its own
But, i do understand your problem.. it is hard to expect something unique, cause 90% of games are just copy's of its predecessors

However, give them time, you can be sure there will be new gameplay footage, new videos, new trailers.. maybe even a demo before the release... cause lets face it, nobody wants to buy a game he/she knows nothing about ... but be sure Larian and DTP are aware of this, even better then we are ... so don't worry about it, everything will be allright smile
Posted By: Lar_q Re: Questions... - 12/05/09 01:24 PM
I think the answer to what it is like, is that it is Divinity wink
Posted By: Lynn Re: Questions... - 12/05/09 01:48 PM
div2 cheer
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 12/05/09 02:47 PM
no violent ones and without weird music please

You're referring to that really weird Dragon Age video ? I still wonder what they tried to "say" with it ...

how is it like?

like Gothic?
like Two Worlds?
like Fable?

I think there might be a day when someone asks in a different forum about a different game:

"how is it like?

like Divinity 2
like Gothic?
like Two Worlds?
like Fable?"

Posted By: Arkray Re: Questions... - 12/05/09 04:56 PM

You're referring to that really weird Dragon Age video ? I still wonder what they tried to "say" with it ...

Yup, it is too weird. I like violence in games but I don't like when they try to sell it to me like a 'cool' thing and much less when it is abused.

how is it like?

like Gothic?
like Two Worlds?
like Fable?

I think there might be a day when someone asks in a different forum about a different game:

"how is it like?

like Divinity 2
like Gothic?
like Two Worlds?
like Fable?"

I hope the same biggrin
Posted By: The Endless Re: Questions... - 12/05/09 05:32 PM

how is it like?

like Gothic?
like Two Worlds?
like Fable?

"how is it like?

like Divinity 2
like Gothic?
like Two Worlds?
like Fable?"

Ditto! up
Posted By: turi Re: Questions... - 12/05/09 11:20 PM
Sorry but Arcania???? There is not a single video, just screens that may very well be renders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRoJanUK1TY&fmt=18

here ya go grin

well, actually i dont need any info on Risen, it will be like Gothic 1 laugh up

and dd2 just cant be like dd1, there are worlds between dd1 and this stuff what we have seen already from dd2.
Posted By: flixerflax Re: Questions... - 13/05/09 03:35 AM
I'm not so sure, unless your standard for "matching" games to other games is just based on what they look like, which it seems to be. We've got so many of the same designers and writers, and if you take a look at the armor and houses and whatnot, it DOES look like the first game, just transformed into 3D.
Posted By: Arkray Re: Questions... - 13/05/09 06:56 AM
Sorry but Arcania???? There is not a single video, just screens that may very well be renders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRoJanUK1TY&fmt=18

here ya go grin

well, actually i dont need any info on Risen, it will be like Gothic 1 laugh up

and dd2 just cant be like dd1, there are worlds between dd1 and this stuff what we have seen already from dd2.

Damn, I forgot about that video silly
Posted By: drazac Re: Questions... - 13/05/09 04:47 PM
There are only 10 creatures in creature section of D2 website... i assume there will be more... but how much more?
Posted By: Wishmaster Re: Questions... - 13/05/09 05:06 PM
Numbers!
Numbers is the word we're looking for... smile
Posted By: Farflame Re: Questions... - 14/05/09 10:54 AM
Yup, it is too weird. I like violence in games but I don't like when they try to sell it to me like a 'cool' thing and much less when it is abused.

This DA video was just a marketing decision. They try to appeal to mass of teenage boys. The question is - how much will be teenagers disgusted when they find out that the game is actually RPG not "cool action" silly .

But I agree with you. Mainstream trend seems like "violence is cool", "to be selfish is cool", "killing is fun" while to "THINK, love, self-develop, be nice or fairly-minded is boring shit". "Cool" world of brainless generation... devil
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 14/05/09 11:17 AM
You hit it on the nail.
Posted By: Macbeth Re: Questions... - 14/05/09 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by drazac
There are only 10 creatures in creature section of D2 website... i assume there will be more... but how much more?

We don't want to show you guys everything yet, that would spoil the fun. But yes, there are more.
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: Questions... - 15/05/09 01:48 PM
"No, we will reduce the number to 4."
© Larian Studios forums