Larian Studios
Posted By: Freewheeler Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 03/12/09 04:16 AM
hello everyone
just wondering if this game is worth because the critics only gave it a 6.5/10.
so just tell me what you think plz! cool2
Posted By: Raze Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 03/12/09 06:34 AM

IMNSHO you would be better off looking at a selection of reviews than an average score. Different reviewers or sites may tend to grade more easily or harshly than others, and within each review they may weight different categories differently than you would. Eurogamer, for example, gave the game a 6/10, but the review itself was generally positive. I've seen other games given low scores for not having cutting edge graphics (which I don't care about) or for not having multi-player support (which could be nice to have, but again I don't really care about), etc.

I'm planning on getting it come Jan 5th...
Posted By: spif2001 Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 03/12/09 06:36 AM
It depends wether you like the genre or not, but I will go with a YES!

I 'only' play the Xbox 360 version and even that is highly recommendable.

Posted By: skodone Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 03/12/09 07:04 AM
i'd say yes laugh especially if you like rpgs like gothic n stuff smile
Posted By: RanShak Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 03/12/09 07:55 AM
I'd wait to pick it up until the patch fixing all these problems is released just in case, but yes, in my opinion it is very much worth the purchase.
Posted By: skodone Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 03/12/09 08:33 AM
i think one is able to play the game without big problems for now...campared to version 1.01 :P
1.02 is ok smile

1.03 is perfect then (i hope :P)
Posted By: KnightPT Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 03/12/09 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Freewheeler
hello everyone
just wondering if this game is worth because the critics only gave it a 6.5/10.
so just tell me what you think plz! cool2

There are a lot of reviews out there that give 82-89%, why did you pick only the bad numbers ? smile

There are reviewers out there that have no clue how to review a game. Ofc everyone is entitled to its own opinions, but when we see a guy give 6.5, and then 10 others give 8.0+, its clear the 6.5 one has something weird on its head.
Posted By: AudioEpics Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 03/12/09 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by spif2001

Why does everyone always talk like Xbox is obviously inferior to PC? I went from PC gaming to Xbox and I vastly prefer the Xbox. Personal preferences, I suppose.

Now, with that having been said:

Divinity II is highly recommendable. Not only is it a great RPG, it's got fun action / puzzle / platform elements as well, a really good story and the funniest dialogues I've heard in a long time.
Posted By: Joram Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 03/12/09 11:12 AM
... par example : IF you love an RPG and you love fantasy, quests and you also will go for a game that have a good (in my eyes!!) replayability for hours and hours fun ... and you love humour in games ...
... I say Yes!
I play on Xbox and graphics are a little bit lower that the pc-version, but also very nice (my meaning!) and it plays smooth on Xbox in find!
But I personally wish that a RPG-game is strong enough also without the "best" score for graphics and "Divinity II : Ego Draconis" IS in my opinion full worth to say it's a beautiful world and full worth to buy ... IF you love ... wink

(and so I can do further, endless grin !)
Posted By: Kein Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 03/12/09 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Freewheeler
hello everyone

Hello.
just wondering if this game is worth

Yes.
the critics only gave it a 6.5/10.

You're wrong.
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 03/12/09 05:42 PM
The US reviewers are sure to let this game down on the metacritic score.
They're always so bias to these big games with big companies behind them.
They'll use anything to pick at a game and not enjoy it for core gameplay.
Posted By: Libertarian Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 03/12/09 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by spif2001

I trust a System Shock 2 (SHODAN) fan.

Divinity II must be had!
Posted By: Freewheeler Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 03/12/09 10:20 PM
kk thnx (by the way i was looking through gamespot and the review was 6.5/10 so sorry) but thanks anyway smile i think i will buy this game on jan 5
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 04/12/09 01:46 AM
Don't go by one review. The reviewer there probably died early on in the game.

To get an idea of what Larian does, find the demo for Divine Divinity (and buy the game) it is the prequel to this game.

Welcome to the forums.
Posted By: Freewheeler Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 04/12/09 02:54 AM
is there a demo for d2? (xbox)
Posted By: Raze Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 04/12/09 04:54 AM

Last I heard, some time ago, Larian said there would not be a demo released before the international release of the game (though technically that doesn't confirm there will actually be a demo). I would assume some time after Jan 5th there should be a demo available, but I don't know how much time/effort that would take, or if they will focus on getting a patch out first, or whatever.
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 04/12/09 06:57 AM
BUY THE MOTHERFU*KING GAME
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 04/12/09 07:34 AM
Gamespot don't even have a review up.
Like I said US Reviewers is where Divinity 2 scores will come in low.
Posted By: AudioEpics Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 04/12/09 08:21 AM
The Dutch site XGN has a horribly unfair review that significantly lowered the game's score on metacritic. Please ignore it! It's a great game (I play on Xbox and have no problems whatsoever)!
Posted By: virumor Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 04/12/09 09:28 AM
Gamespot will probably give it a 7.0. Same score as Risen & Drakensang.

IGN might score more.
Posted By: Libertarian Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 05/12/09 10:42 PM
Gamespot gave Two Worlds on Xbox 360 a 7.0 and on PC a 7.5. I don't know how that game scored so well, but it's vastley inferior to Risen and Drakensang. And I have no doubt it's also vastly inferior to Divinity II, too. Two Worlds was a big ol' mess.
Posted By: lex1ca Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 06/12/09 12:08 AM
I think its a good game not got all that far it yet to me it feels better than drakensang did for me
and two worlds was god awful the voice acting was my first put off in that game, but i would say wait for the next patch cause it should improve on the game.
Posted By: Joram Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 07/12/09 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by AudioEpics
The Dutch site XGN has a horribly unfair review that significantly lowered the game's score on metacritic. Please ignore it! It's a great game (I play on Xbox and have no problems whatsoever)!

I'm totally agree with audioEpics ! And I play also on Xbox and I'm very very satisfied, it plays very smooth on xbox, many thanks to Larian to make this game and make it on xbox too smile !!

And in my eyes, all reviewer's are NOT objective at all! (and that's also logical, people aren't perfect grin )
But I wonder how many hours a reviewer played D II ??? How deep is the reviewer going IN Divnity II before write a review???

I find personally Divinity II - Ego Draconis is worth his money and time smile !
O what a very "good" RPG I find this one ... I can't say it in one word ... ! delight !

Posted By: Willlem Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 07/12/09 11:10 AM
Heh, on the topic of reviews, I work at a Dutch site (read my signature) and I played about 40 hours when I wrote my review. I awarded the game an 'Outstanding' (Uitstekend in Dutch), which you could say is between 8.0 / 8.5.

Oh, and I think this game is worth the money! The first couple of hours of the game disappointed me at first, but when I continued playing I started to enjoy the game more and more. Now I think it really is a great game.
Posted By: Freewheeler Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 08/12/09 02:56 AM
Ya, i already looked at some other reviews and there mostly positive crazy
Posted By: Joram Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 08/12/09 11:10 AM
Yesterday I read a something in PC Gameplay-magazine (Dutch) and it sounds good: they say Divinity II is worth the money. Only one bad thing they write was that Dragon Age and more other games on the same time relaesed because of D II was later on in time!
A bad unfortunate time ...
Sadly, but otherwise, Dragon Age is different and I love Divinity II - Ego Draconis!

Posted By: Vahrokh Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 08/12/09 09:45 PM
Just finished the game. It was VERY worth the money spent, expecially if you do the side quests and actually play to enjoy it and not just to finish it fast (which is as idiotic as buying a long awaited book and skip at the last page).

If they released the next in the series tomorrow, I'd buy it, now.
Posted By: dracone Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 09/12/09 03:35 AM
I agree completely. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in ages. I also haven't had any of the technical problems that some complain about and my computer is three years old. Admittedly, I built the best machine I could afford to build, but it wasn't a 'top of the line gaming' machine, by any means.
Posted By: Joram Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 09/12/09 09:49 AM
Yes, something like this, nice to hear smile !
Divinity II IS a game you must enjoy ... Patience is a good thing to have and I have a big mountain of patience!
And also have fun ... don't rush through this game ... because there're so many good things you would miss in that case! Try next time some quest AND dialogs with NPC's in a differend way ... and there are! wink

Note:
And Mindreading sometimes gives more XP or other very good things (more quests, hidden rooms to discover, stats boost, a good weapon or equipment, new insights!) ... I personal do nothing in it some Mindreading costs many XP ... there are enemies enough and also equipmentitems enough that boost your caracter in that way so that you are in fact one or more levels higher ...! smile
Posted By: Anomandaris Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 09/12/09 01:19 PM
Personally I rate it below Dragon Age: Origins and Risen. So if you don't have those games, I suggest the former first and the latter second. Divinity II does kind of grow on you though, unfortunately the difficulty/pacing is all over the place, too hard in the beginning and pointlessly effortless in the end. Level scaling done in a different way than Oblivion but almost as bad. I guess your mileage may vary though. Playing through a second time with a warrior, I almost enjoy it more than the first time as a mage...
Posted By: Joram Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 09/12/09 01:47 PM
I don't play Dragon Age: Origins or Risen ... because I have read about that games and personal I prefer to buy Divinity II. wink

But I'm not a seasoned gamer and "scaling" ... Ooo, I don't see any problem in this game ... grin

Play as a Mage, a Warrior, a Ranger or whatever laugh ... or "a combination between rases" (my favourite preference) .. All this is possible with Divinity II !!
(my opinion)

Posted By: Willlem Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 09/12/09 10:14 PM
Well, Mage is quite powerful in comparison to warrior / archer I think. Lvl. 10+ Magic Missile is A KILLER, and Firewall is a great move when being surrounded. Though I think it's a bit more fun playing as a Warrior, jumping around like a lune.
Posted By: Joram Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 10/12/09 07:15 AM
But ... ? I can see with 1 skill, you can max to 5/5 ... but more??
I can't follow this ... smirk
Posted By: Raze Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 10/12/09 08:45 PM

The trainers in the battle tower can increase the maximum level of some skills (up to 13, I think I read somewhere).
Posted By: Willlem Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 10/12/09 09:50 PM
As Raze said, your trainer can help you with that. You can buy an increase in maximum skill levels at your trainer. The first step is from 5 up to 10, after that comes up 10 up to 13. This makes especially Mage characters almost invincible. Combine a lvl. 13 Magic Missile with Mana Effecieny (magic is cheaper, passive) and Destruction (magic does more damage, passive) and you're really going to be a hard challenge for your enemies. wink
Posted By: khornedragon Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 13/12/09 06:41 PM
nah bought this game and i still can't play it. totally not worth the money
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 13/12/09 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by khornedragon
ahhh im still getting the infinite load screens. im using a no cd crack also and i did what you said and im still getting them.

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=21632&Number=395429#Post395429

It is rude to hack a game (though a bunch of us did to get it into English). Bad enough you cracked the game to play for free. Then asking how to get an illegal copy to work on the developers own forum is a kick in the balls. But then to try and tell someone else the game sucks and doesn't work? The forum Terms of Service won't allow me to say how bad that is!

The game works properly (like a vase) when not hacked and cracked.
Posted By: Chimeray Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 13/12/09 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by LightningLockey
Originally Posted by khornedragon
ahhh im still getting the infinite load screens. im using a no cd crack also and i did what you said and im still getting them.

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=21632&Number=395429#Post395429

It is rude to hack a game (though a bunch of us did to get it into English). Bad enough you cracked the game to play for free. Then asking how to get an illegal copy to work on the developers own forum is a kick in the balls. But then to try and tell someone else the game sucks and doesn't work? The forum Terms of Service won't allow me to say how bad that is!

The game works properly (like a vase) when not hacked and cracked.

You can still buy the game and use a no CD crack though, I do that all the time. I can't be arsed to put my CD in my drive all the time :p
Posted By: Willlem Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 13/12/09 10:40 PM
And when having a laptop and no PC, a CD crack sure saves you a lot of noise! Don't worry, I got a legal version on my Xbox 360. wink

I copied all the files from the Divine Divinity CDs to one folder, and installed the game from there again. Been playing the game everywhere, like when on the boat and bus to school.
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 14/12/09 02:16 AM
I know what both of your are saying and why DRM is dieing off, though hanging on better in the game industry then I expected.

The issue here is blatant rudeness and an attempt to ruin the reputation of a good product. There are a ton of people that come on these forums without creating an account to see what is discussed. I rarely sign up on forums, actually had I not signed up back in the DD days probably wouldn't have created an account here.

It's either the DRM messing the game up or khorned failed at hacking the game into English. Regardless it is rude to ask for help in how to hack a product and crack it on the developer's own forum. It is like going into a store and asking the clerk how to break in without being caught and the combination of the safe. You'll end up being chased out of the store by the clerk with a blunt weapon (baseball bat usually).

Then say the product isn't worth the money... see where I'm going?

EDIT: Btw, it is worth the money. Damn game kept me up all night twice (which rarely happens).
Posted By: khornedragon Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 14/12/09 05:17 AM
no dude i bought the game and i was getting the infinite load screens so i get the no cd crack hoping that it would work and it STILL gets those infinite load screens.
Posted By: khornedragon Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 14/12/09 06:22 AM
I know what both of your are saying and why DRM is dieing off, though hanging on better in the game industry then I expected.

The issue here is blatant rudeness and an attempt to ruin the reputation of a good product. There are a ton of people that come on these forums without creating an account to see what is discussed. I rarely sign up on forums, actually had I not signed up back in the DD days probably wouldn't have created an account here.

It's either the DRM messing the game up or khorned failed at hacking the game into English. Regardless it is rude to ask for help in how to hack a product and crack it on the developer's own forum. It is like going into a store and asking the clerk how to break in without being caught and the combination of the safe. You'll end up being chased out of the store by the clerk with a blunt weapon (baseball bat usually).

Then say the product isn't worth the money... see where I'm going?

EDIT: Btw, it is worth the money. Damn game kept me up all night twice (which rarely happens).

yeah i see what you mean talking about no cd cracks on a developers forum, i would normally never ever do that but out of desperation i do strange things. the thing is its not worth the money because im still not able to play the game so am i getting my money's worth? nope. if anything i would expect this kind of difficulty in playing out of dragon age origins(cause the publisher is EA)
Posted By: Joram Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 14/12/09 12:30 PM
I can't almost believe it:
some people first hack a game and than ask how to fix ... on the forum of the developpers of the game and saying how bad the game is ... and so on!!
Help, this may not be true!! ... eek ... Incredible!!

grin ..I recognize this ... I have often the feeling I wish to play whole night long grin

Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 14/12/09 05:23 PM
You either have a damaged CD, poorly installed game or failed at hacking it into English. If the CD is bad, return it. If the game is badly installed, reinstall. If your hacking it, gotta find help elseware.

If your not hacking the game I'd make a new thread on tech forum instead of making various posts in a thread someone else started.

But don't trash talk a perfectly good product!
Posted By: Kein Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 15/12/09 04:55 AM
I can't almost believe it:
some people first hack a game and than ask how to fix

Yeh, lol. there was such threads ;P
Posted By: khornedragon Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 17/12/09 02:30 AM
okay i got this game to work, all i had to do was update my drivers, i didn't even need my no cd crack
Posted By: Merlanni Re: Is divinity 2 worth the money? - 17/12/09 09:05 AM
Teh dutch/belgian pc Gameplay is right like in most cases. They stated thet the firt less good review was due to bugs and technical isseus. Later they raised it, putting it on par with Dragon age.

They give Dragon age 87, gamspot 95. Let me tell you that 87 is on the mark. The extra 8 points is caused by advertising. If you place ads on thier site, the review goes up. But what has that to do with Divinity2, well, if they give it a second review and lift it to 85, it tells me all those other ones are wrong.

The people from pc gamplay play the entire game on a PC. Do you think that websites play all platforms? Play them to the bone? That is why the user critics vary so much on that site.

Dragon age 87
Divinity 2 85

Those scores are saying enough.
© Larian Studios forums