Larian Studios
Posted By: stubbie dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 05/12/09 03:46 AM
I just finished DA:O (which was very good) and thought I would try this game.
After all I loved Divine Divinity when it was released.

But I am very disappointed after playing for 6 hours.
My reasons:

*Where is the fog of war? I don't want to enter a dungeon and see the whole map. Nor do I want to see the whole area map. Without a fog of war it is too difficult to know where you have and havent been.
*Merchants are not shown on any map.
*When you are in combat mode and paused you cannot rotate the camera. How am I supposed to setup my next attack without knowing what is behind me?
*No option to highlight all the openable chests in a room. You have to mouse over everything. That is just boring.
*Twice I have jumped off some stairs into a corner and have not been able to get out. Only choice was to load a previous save.
*one time in a dungeon I accidentally hit a pot that rolled into the middle of the passageway. I could not break it or jump over it. Once again I had to load an old save.
*It is frustrating to explore in this game. Small items on the floor (such as a tea cup) can stop you from walking. In fact you cannot even jump over them. Your have to take two steps sideways to go around it.
*No enemies show up on the mini map.
*The mini map doesn't show blocked paths in dungeons. They appear as being unblocked.
*Only 8 hotkeys for items and skills
*The npc's talk as though they are constantly avoiding being hit by kamikaze mosquitoes, waving their hands around and constantly ducking. Gets irritating after the first 5 minutes and doesn't help to immerse you into the game.
*The quest system is lacking on destination points. While some quests will show you where to go to progress, the majority do not. Admittedly DA:O also suffered from this though to a lesser degree. I just find the lack of quest destination points very frustrating.
*I find the camera a real horror to use. Your zoom depends on the angle you are from your avatar. You cannot zoom out from just any angle. Perhaps I am more used to an isometric option in the camera control so I guess that's more of a personal preference.

So there you go. I am not impressed with Ego Draconis and those were some of my reasons.
I will give the game a bit more playing time because I want my moneys worth.
But I think that Larian got this one wrong.
Posted By: DivineGamer Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 05/12/09 09:37 AM
I find some of reasons invalid.
The map ones mostly, it seems you want to make it as user friendly as possible.
What do you mean you can't rotate the Tatical Pause Camera, I'm very sure you can.
Posted By: Raze Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 05/12/09 09:47 AM

*The npc's talk as though they are constantly avoiding being hit by kamikaze mosquitoes

That really stuck out in some of the gameplay videos. I can see wanting some flourish, so NPCs don't look like statues, but used constantly it is a little much. I don't think it would seriously detract from the overall game for me, but I'd certainly tone it down if that was an option.

*The quest system is lacking on destination points.

Do you mean many quests lack any kind of logical hints on where to go or who/what to look out for, so you basically explore everywhere and sometimes just come upon a quest solution?
Or is there some direction given, but not detailed enough?
Posted By: Draci Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 05/12/09 11:22 AM
Well, this is "just" a personal opinion, no need to make a new topic for that, you might have posted it in the other topic that is already there (better than DOA, or another, I'm sure there 's more).

I am playing being harassed by the loading bug on certain occasions, and still I very much love the game, eventhough my gpu's are cooking sometimes and my cpu can barely handle it also ^^.

Looks to me you are more for a game that plays for you instead of you playing the game. I'm happy I actually have to remember some stuff myself instead of just clicking in some history shizzles n stuff(there is a history but don't think it remembers more than x amount of convo). And remember where I went. Also portals and doors and other important enough stuff is displayed on your map/minimap, use markers to help you if you have memory issues.
And to me the small quest descriptions were always enough to know where to go, sometimes it requires a bit exploring but hey, this is an rpg, right?
Actually I more like to see where I can go than just where I already have been, in DD first I did was clear the map of fog, where I could (and kill everything I encountered).

Never used camera rotation during pause, might make it easier but you can target everything visible (and close enough), also what is behind you and visible. Else just go out of pause for a bit and rotate.
Might be there is an option to rotate camera in pause, but I don't rly care. I try to use pause as little as possible anyway.

Never had issues with jumping over pots and candles and... might be a bug => report? There are a million things that can go wrong in a game, no game is bug free, especially not free open games where you can smash things n move things around and jump and fly around...

Imho you just want it all way too easy, and are bitching about stuff you can bitch about in any game. Watch a fantasy movie? smile

If you are impatient on looting, just start smashing everything possible then, it's fun ^^. Everything that is not smashable (can't smash with a bow though :o, exploding arrows perhaps, think I've seen it happen with enemy) you can see if you opened it already or not...

Also, you can get stuck in any game... only had it once (was smart enough to swim inside a ship wreck, lf quest gem!), but I used dragon teleport and then another teleport to get out. Sometimes the game starts loading if you are stuck and puts you on a free spot you were before (although that causes my game to have infinite loading, only had it twice luckily, and wasn't rly stuck, just trying to get through some narrow thingie xd)

Also never noticed anything irritating about the npc's, only funny things.

For the rest, red dots show up on your radar/minimap when enemies come/are in the vicinity, same for friendly npc in green (might turn red after cinematic/convo though ^^).

BTW, this was basically the same for DD... no? Can't remember any npc marked on map in DD :o.
Naja, playing DD teached me how to play rpg like this, use markers on map well, and explore, and save often, hehe.
The game is made like this for a reason, it's not a neglect or glitch, if you don't like it, your opinion. Strange though you liked DD then o0.

The only thing I concur is the minimap/map could use some more detail regarding blocked/unblocked. But that is only a minor issue, and it probably is just a personal opinion, not gameplay neccesity/huge game experience improvement/bug.

And as last, if you rly need more than 8 stuff to fight, there is always pause => press i for inventory => use pots, all that can come together at once. To play most efficiently you pause the game anyway swapping gear at start of the battle. Can't imagine you use more than 8 different skills o0, all the rest is doable with pause => open interface(i), or even pause=>click the available skill button.

PS. it's awesome playing a dragon ^^.
Posted By: Ghigi Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 05/12/09 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by stubbie
*Where is the fog of war? I don't want to enter a dungeon and see the whole map. Nor do I want to see the whole area map. Without a fog of war it is too difficult to know where you have and havent been.

Do not agree: you have a real map. That's all.

You can easly place markers on any keypoint of every map and you can also write a brief text for each set marker.

*When you are in combat mode and paused you cannot rotate the camera. How am I supposed to setup my next attack without knowing what is behind me?

Agree.

*No option to highlight all the openable chests in a room. You have to mouse over everything. That is just boring.

Do not agree. Almost every chest/basket etc, can be manually highlighted and opened, a nice feature that in my personal opinion increase the exploration.

*Twice I have jumped off some stairs into a corner and have not been able to get out. Only choice was to load a previous save.

Never had such an problem.

*one time in a dungeon I accidentally hit a pot that rolled into the middle of the passageway. I could not break it or jump over it. Once again I had to load an old save.

Never had such a problem.

*It is frustrating to explore in this game. Small items on the floor (such as a tea cup) can stop you from walking. In fact you cannot even jump over them. Your have to take two steps sideways to go around it.

Never had such a problem.

That's perfect. More realism.

*The mini map doesn't show blocked paths in dungeons. They appear as being unblocked.

Agree.

*Only 8 hotkeys for items and skills

Agree

*The npc's talk as though they are constantly avoiding being hit by kamikaze mosquitoes, waving their hands around and constantly ducking. Gets irritating after the first 5 minutes and doesn't help to immerse you into the game.

Do not agree. The animation system for the dialogues is good, I consider the Witcher far less optimized on this, while DO:A more advanced.

*The quest system is lacking on destination points. While some quests will show you where to go to progress, the majority do not. Admittedly DA:O also suffered from this though to a lesser degree. I just find the lack of quest destination points very frustrating.

I prefer the Divinity II system. Definetly.

*I find the camera a real horror to use. Your zoom depends on the angle you are from your avatar. You cannot zoom out from just any angle. Perhaps I am more used to an isometric option in the camera control so I guess that's more of a personal preference.

The camera is just fine for me. The only thing I miss is the possibility to block an angle, as you can do in Risen.
Posted By: Kein Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 05/12/09 07:01 PM
So there you go. I am not impressed with Ego Draconis and those were some of my reasons.

Thank you, oh thank you for telling us!

Just one question: why don't post it there instead of making another junk thread? Why do you guys loves a dump-like forums so much?
Meh...
Posted By: Krait Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 05/12/09 10:57 PM
There's only 2 points that I feel strongly about and they're :-

1. A fog of war would add to a sense of exploration, which I personally like in an RPG.

2. The camera angles and positions are absolutely atrocious and add to a lack of involvement in the game.

But apart from that the game is fairly enjoyable. smile

Posted By: lex1ca Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 06/12/09 12:17 AM

I argee with fog of war would of been nice for exploring but not cause its difficult to tell where ive been or not been to be honest.

I cant agree with that if you want f.o.w you really shouldnt have any marker for them unless your right on top of them.

They do for me as red dots
Posted By: Raze Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 06/12/09 12:38 AM

That should be fixed in the next patch.
Posted By: stubbie Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 06/12/09 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Kein

Thank you, oh thank you for telling us!

Just one question: why don't post it there instead of making another junk thread? Why do you guys loves a dump-like forums so much?
Meh...

In answer to your question, I didn't see that thread.......I'm so very, very sorry.
At least you were quite polite in thanking, thanking me.

And I wasn't dumping anything.
I was sharing my disappointment and trying to offer some constructive criticism.
But you go and have a nice day anyway.

Thanks to the others that responded in a more positive way.
I will try again to see if my mini map shows enemies as red dots.
Strange that you guys don't seem to have the problem with objects getting in your way like I do.
I'll give the game a bit more of a try before shelving it.
Thanks again for your feedback.
Posted By: Greever Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 07/12/09 10:03 AM
Also in paused mode you can turn the camera around. Just press the middle mouse button
Posted By: Joram Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 07/12/09 10:32 AM

I will try again to see if my mini map shows enemies as red dots.
Strange that you guys don't seem to have the problem with objects getting in your way like I do.
I'll give the game a bit more of a try before shelving it.
Thanks again for your feedback.

A very good idea: give this game more time, explore things! wink
But when NPC's, camera, minimap and so on irritate you whole the time? In that case: stop playing and give the game to a friend or something and play another game you like more smile .

Al the things you wrote ... personally I do not agree! But I play on xbox and my game plays very smooth ! Only 1 bug to the end of Farglow, that's all. And when a basket or crate or something stay in my way? I jumped over it wink. I'm now LEVEL 19 hero and played at least 50 hours, really, I Love this game very much !!!
I find DD also very lovely, but D II at least as much !!

Posted By: KnightPT Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 07/12/09 12:13 PM
I've stoped playing div2 atm due to waiting for the new patch. The stuttering is realy bad even though i have a very high-end system and have v-sync enabled (disabled is the same in fact) and makes my head hurt fast.

A lot of what the OP said is true to some extent, but fortunately the good stuff on the game is bigger than the bad stuff, so all in all it makes the game still very enjoyable.

So, i'm waiting on the patch to fix some of the bad stuff around, especialy the stuttering. I've played other games based on the gamebryo engine and didnt have the same issues, dunno whats the problem but i've read around the web a lot of people have the same problem.
Posted By: Joram Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 07/12/09 01:09 PM
That's THE reason I go for the XBOX smile I I specially buy an xbox for playing D II grin ...

I met 1 bug, but this was very easy to solve (skip a dialog) and now I'm Level 19 and have playing at least 50 hours since novembre the 23e. No other bugs ... Ok, one time the screen freezes, but that was NOT a gamebug, but something my xbox wanted to tell me: stop, I'm tired now lol ....
Sometimes I play a whole day!! So addictive ! grin
Posted By: kavlor Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 07/12/09 04:01 PM
Why is there a pause,you only control one char Im halfway through and never used it.
Posted By: swordscythe Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 07/12/09 04:34 PM
^it's only for those who want it/need it.

These guys put a hell of a lot of options in this game, to please just about anyone. But, obviously, there's no pleasing some people. "OMG Dragon Age did that, and DII doesn't!!" If you want to play a game that looks, feels, sounds and behaves like Dragon Age... Then play Dragon Age. Dragon Age is a completely different game, treat it like one. This is not Dragon Age: Ego Draconis. That would be as silly a title as the first Divinity.
Posted By: Joram Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 07/12/09 04:47 PM
There is a "pause" for people (like me, I'm for sure, slow!) who preference this possibility laugh

The more possibilities a game gives, the more people CAN play that game! You can play on "easy", "medium" or "hard" ... remove also this possibility ... ?
I'm very satisfied I can begin play on "easy", but I think "a experienced gamer" do not use easy or medium ... fine ...
.... and let all people play a game how they wish to play a game wink
Posted By: dracone Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 09/12/09 03:31 AM
I'm loving this game, personally, while I haven't been able to get into Dragon Age at all. With Divinity 2, I immediately felt involved and combat isn't a barrier to immersion, the way I found it to be in Dragon Age. I'm just not that technical a gamer. I love the sense of humor and am really enjoying it immensely in all respects. Thing is, they are very different games. I can see it being quite possible to enjoy one while not enjoying the other.
Posted By: Joram Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 09/12/09 09:55 AM
Me too ...love this game and I haven't the dragon form! I'm now Level 20.
Still 1 open quest in Brocken Valley to go .. and than ... go to kill Laiken grin
Posted By: stubbie Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 10/12/09 10:54 AM
After you guys gave me some positive feedback and also some very helpful tips I decided to start all over again and give the game another try.

It's definitely not as bad as I originally thought.

In reference to my original post:
*I still miss the fog of war. This game practically insists you need to explore every nook and cranny. Without a fog of war its virtually impossible to know what corners of the map you might have missed.
*The fact that merchants are not shown as an icon on your map is still frustrating though it can be overcome somewhat by the use of your own flags.
*In the pc version holding the middle mouse wheel button down allows you to rotate the view while in pause mode. Thanks for pointing that out.

*I found out why I was having such a hard time jumping over things. I had remapped my space bar to "pause". Then I hot keyed my ALT key to jump. But for some strange reason by doing that you get a strange jump motion. You can jump up and down and produce a weapon but you cannot jump forward. It was only after I remapped my jump key to my CTRL button that I was able to jump forward. Perhaps there is a conflict in the programming, but worth keeping in mind for new players.

*Enemies actually do show up on the minimap as red dots. The first time I played I didn't see the dots. Perhaps a bug? Starting a new character has fixed that problem.
*The 8 hot key limit is still a bit limited in my opinion but by pausing and then clicking on show all items and skills you can access the lot. Just seems a bit clunky to me.
*After getting further in the game the npc's seem to have toned down their animated gestures considerably. It's no longer a problem for me.
*I still get frustrated with the quest system. Its probably more a personal choice but I appreciate a game that shows me where my next quest destination is.
*I am getting used to the camera, but I still don't like it. I still think it can be improved upon but I understand that the view and the rotation is limited due to the game being available on consoles. Perhaps a pc mod will be made one day to allow much more freedom in the available views.

I was quite negative about the game when I originally posted. I have since given the game more time and have to say I am starting to enjoy it. The game and its characters are getting more and more interesting the further I get.
However I still get frustrated at times with the fact that at anytime you can find yourself fighting enemies twice your level with no warning. I have since found F5 to be my best friend.

For those of you that bothered to read my rather long winded post..thank you. smile
Posted By: KnightPT Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 10/12/09 11:03 AM
Glad you are having a better time m8, as a lot of people already said this game is a "rough gem", needs a little geting-used to, a little polish, but has a lot of value inside.

Posted By: Joram Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 10/12/09 11:13 AM
I read your full post wink

Well, I'm happy you can enjoy D II now more that before.

Personal I like this game much because of "help yourself" :
1) No fog of war: for a 2D game like DD or BD I love the fog of war, but for 3D ? For me not necessary.
2) Knowing what to do by quest-solving: for the main quest you can "see" on the Worldmap a icon that gives you direction wink ... For the other quests I read always in my Logbook! Very handy and all the rest stay in my memory wink

I love this game because of all freedom and thinking of a own good strategy for playing ...
NOT a game for when you wish to fight enemies and set your brains off grin
Posted By: stubbie Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 10/12/09 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Joram
I read your full post wink
Very handy and all the rest stay in my memory wink

Hehe...that's probably my problem.
At my age the old memory just ain't what it used to be. ouch

And yes...I totally agree that its not a game where you can mindlessly go and just kill stuff.
That in itself can take some adjusting to after playing so many games where the enemies are levelled to your character.
But now that I have just gotten myself a minion, things have taken a turn for the better regarding combat. I can now actually kill some enemies without gulping down 10 potions grin
Posted By: Joram Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 10/12/09 11:55 AM

Hehe...that's probably my problem.
At my age the old memory just ain't what it used to be. ouch

Euhhmmm... maybe it's a nice thing to do: write down on paper (or whatever) by yourself some thing to remember wink I use many paper lol ... but I have a visual memory!
By writing things on paper .. it come also in my memory, but I also can read all over again what I write down ...

But now that I have just gotten myself a minion, things have taken a turn for the better regarding combat. I can now actually kill some enemies without gulping down 10 potions grin

Yes, with a little investigation in how to go stronger per better gear or skills or ...
I have killed L18 enemies in Orobas Fjords when I was L13 and I needed potions, but not more that 2 or 3 (limited healing) on one enemie wink. If I need to many potions, I go first search for other enemies or another strategy wink
Posted By: Chimeray Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 11/12/09 01:30 AM
Most of your arguments seem to be with you being lazy o.O Lazy is not the word I'm after but you'll understand what I mean from the next phrase wink
If you actually read the manual then it clearly says that it wasn't their intention to show you the way and hold your hand all the way through. And imo... that's a good thing. It's a totally different experience for me to remember everything you've seen and heard.
Like one quest said I needed to go to a chapel, I was like WTF? Which chapel, why isn't it marked on the map, etc...

Most of your arguments are about easy of use and not really about the core game, I find it odd that they bother you that much. Yes it would be nice if some of your points were actually true for this game but it's totally unnecessary imo, not really gamebreaking at all.

Not bashing you or anything, I know some games that got those things incorporated but I really don't find them neccessary for this game. Try to get over it, maybe (like me) you'll begin to appreciate that this game is different and makes you act more like in the real world (remember places n stuff, where you've been... especially NO fog of war!)

And... I found the game quite bland the first few hours, but it started to get better and better, even the music got better xD
Posted By: stubbie Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 11/12/09 06:30 AM
@ Chimeray

As you yourself said "I found the game quite bland the first few hours"
My original post was after 6 hours.

However as you no doubt have read in my last post, I am starting to warm to the game.
I am really, as you say...... trying to get over it.

And what bothers me may indeed seem odd to you.
That's usually the way of all the people in the world....we are just different.

Some people don't like anchovies...I happen to love them. wink

You appreciate not being shown where quest locations are and not having a fog of war.
I however don't. I like a game that doesn't frustrate me. This one does at times.
Its a personal opinion. That's all. smile

I have had my many years of writing down clues and drawing out maps on graph paper with old pc games.....yes I guess you could say that now I am lazy.
I just prefer that the game does that stuff for me these days.
oh....and thanks for not bashing me....I hope you realise that I'm not bashing you either. smile
Posted By: Willlem Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 11/12/09 09:10 AM
I can very well imagine you like playing a game that takes you by the hand, or at least gives you a decent push in the right direction.
I have this game for the Xbox 360 and I'm quite relivied there's finally a game that DOESN'T show you exactly where to do what. Think of Fable 2, The Elder Scrolls IV, Fallout 3, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc.
Divinity 2 is, despite its flaws, something different. I'm happy with that!
Posted By: stubbie Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 11/12/09 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Willlem

And I do agree with that. It is indeed different from what I am used to.
I guess that is why I was negative about the game to start with.
But the more I play, the more I am accepting how the game plays.

Hopefully the game lends itself to be played through more than once.....because already I would like to change a lot of build choices I have made with this character.

And now knowing what areas have much higher level enemies will make the next play through a lot less frustrating. wink
Posted By: Chimeray Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 11/12/09 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Willlem

And I do agree with that. It is indeed different from what I am used to.
I guess that is why I was negative about the game to start with.
But the more I play, the more I am accepting how the game plays.

Hopefully the game lends itself to be played through more than once.....because already I would like to change a lot of build choices I have made with this character.

And now knowing what areas have much higher level enemies will make the next play through a lot less frustrating. wink

You can remove the skillpoints in skills at a certain point in the game (won't spoil it for you), it comes at a cost 5000... But that shouldn't really be of much concern at that point. Just in case you wanna change your build in this playthrough and the one after wink
Also... You might wanna look into Magic Blast, it's overpowered as hell xD
Posted By: Willlem Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 11/12/09 09:46 PM
But the cooldown sucks. :P Most magic is quite powerful, actually. I'd choose Magic Missile over Magic Blast, because Missile has only 1 second cooldown. It's like swinging your sword around, main DPS.
Posted By: 6raydog Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 13/12/09 03:07 AM
i cant find the stupid scrolls to get into maxcis temple frown. ive been everywhere. i really need help, ive only got 3 of 4. if u could give me there locations and there names it would really help, thanks guys

Posted By: stubbie Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 13/12/09 09:26 AM
I forget the names and to give directions will take too long so instead here is a great guide. smile

edit;
I see you posted the same question over in the hints and tips section and got the same answer so just disregard my post.
Posted By: impulse101 Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 13/12/09 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Joram
That's THE reason I go for the XBOX smile I I specially buy an xbox for playing D II grin ...

I met 1 bug, but this was very easy to solve (skip a dialog) and now I'm Level 19 and have playing at least 50 hours since novembre the 23e. No other bugs ... Ok, one time the screen freezes, but that was NOT a gamebug, but something my xbox wanted to tell me: stop, I'm tired now lol ....
Sometimes I play a whole day!! So addictive ! grin

I rather shoot myself in the face than play an RPG on the 360.
Posted By: Willlem Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 13/12/09 07:41 PM
Then shoot yourself in the face, 'cause RPGs work just fine on consoles in general. Keyboard hotkeyes have their advantages, but nowadays games that work like that are actually called 'old fashioned'. Take a loot at games like The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, many turn-based RPGs, Fallout 3, Mass Effect and Fable. I would see no reason at all not to play these games on the Xbox 360 or the Playstation 3.
Just my thoughts, ofcourse.
Posted By: Joram Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 14/12/09 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by impulse101

I rather shoot myself in the face than play an RPG on the 360.

Don't shoot yourself!! You can't say (play) it one more time! grin

I say it also because of the many problems with pc's and Divinity 2! I wish to play D II and not to solve pc-game-problems!

And futhermore: it's a personal thing. laugh

Posted By: Merlanni Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 16/12/09 08:29 PM
Let me point out that the developecycle of dragon age was insanely long. The pc version was finished in the first months of 2009 and they took 6 months to polish it. No one gets so long to polih a game in the real world

Let me point out the amount of $ Bioware has trown into that game and all the stuff around it, and the size of the army making it. Voice acting, a lot, to name one aspect with top notch actors.

Larian is smaller.

Dragon age is a game with a total different endresult in mind.

far cry 2 and Left for dead are both shooters. Two different games what so ever.
Posted By: joebloggs81 Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 17/12/09 07:22 PM
The only thing that disappointed me was the time it took from the beginning to the dragon morphing state, but once I got there I realised it was done on purpose, keeps you playing. I got the console version, which is a little buggy and graphics in places are a bit dodge but its clear most of the work has gone into the dragons and some of the scenery whilst flying. I don't know what the PC is like in comparison, but you can pause and swing the camera around easily, and if I get stuck behind something and cannot move, it will automatically chuck me out of where I'm stuck.

It took me a while to get into, but once there I loved it, quite original in concept but similar to others in mechanics, a lot of playability and I would play the game from scratch again.

NEEDS MORE ADVERTISING! ITS SO UNDER-RATED!
Posted By: Evasion Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 17/12/09 07:37 PM
I agree on somethings like when your stuck, but make game more easy and friendly pls no.

Games is not even difficult in hardmode.

Posted By: Evasion Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 17/12/09 07:42 PM
I agree give a small developer some slack will yah pls.

Why people think a small developer can do same as a filthy rich company like BIOWARE or BETHESDA is beyond me.

I say LARIAN did a great job making a very good rpg and if bugs are fixed i dare saying its way better then dragon age, not that you can comepare 2 games DAO is totally different RPG.
Posted By: Joram Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 18/12/09 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by joebloggs81
The only thing that disappointed me was the time it took from the beginning to the dragon morphing state, but once I got there I realised it was done on purpose, keeps you playing. I got the console version, which is a little buggy and graphics in places are a bit dodge but its clear most of the work has gone into the dragons and some of the scenery whilst flying. I don't know what the PC is like in comparison, but you can pause and swing the camera around easily, and if I get stuck behind something and cannot move, it will automatically chuck me out of where I'm stuck.

It took me a while to get into, but once there I loved it, quite original in concept but similar to others in mechanics, a lot of playability and I would play the game from scratch again.

NEEDS MORE ADVERTISING! ITS SO UNDER-RATED!

joebloggs81, I'm very satified with your post. Just a little people play D II on xbox???
I don't certainly know how the "scale" is between the PC and the XBOX players of Divinity II ...(in percentage).
Who has an idea about this?

Me too play D II on xbox smile.
@joebloggs81: but you say "buggy"?? The only bug I meet was to the end of Farglow, that's all for now. wink
And the graphics? O, I find whole Rivellon beautiful!! Okay, the graphics aren't so good as the PC-version, but for me the graphics in D II are more than okay! And the gameplay is in my opinion very good and strong ... that makes the graphics less important for me!

I find it also not bad I must wait long time before I've the Dragonform. I go the first time in Dragonform when I was at Level 21!
Yes, I'm very patient grin ...
Posted By: Dedeyedick Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 19/12/09 01:23 PM
i played the xbox version so i didnt have many problems with stuff getting in my way or little crashes that mean you have to reload
i agree the having to find your way for every quest and guess your way through evrything was a bit tedious but it meant that you had to explore EVERYWHERE. This for a patient gamer is heaven because you get so much for your money, i personally am not a patient gamer.
I think what the developers were trying to do is pick out the best bits from oblivion and fable and fuse them together with a big ass dragon, it wasnt bad, i enjoyed the gameplay once i got into it and i loved the magic and stuff
but i have one major complaint
the ending was SHIT.
randomly you get betrayed and frozen and the bad guys almost win excetera, and i wouldnt mind that, if you get a chance to go back and bitch them all for it and hand out some serious dragon kung fu fire mojo. but no. thats the end. bad guys win and the world ends.
thoroughly unimpressed.
even worse than the fable 2 ending.
Originally Posted by Dedeyedick
the ending was SHIT.
...INSERT SPOILERY INFORMATION HERE... even worse than the fable 2 ending.

So I take it there's only one ending?
Posted By: Raze Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 19/12/09 10:26 PM

There is only one ending.... and I really wish people could refrain from talking about it in detail (in topics not clearly titled so people would know they are about the end of the game) without using spoilers. The game isn't even out everywhere yet.

Really, if someone asks you how a book or movie was, do you go into detail about the ending?

Everybody - be carefull with spoilers - Please!
Posted By: Arlissa Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 20/12/09 12:06 AM
I must quote stubbie for most of the point. The game really lack in base gameplay.

I also found these points that make the game experience frustrating:

-Jump is inaccurate and the distances between the points of jumps are ill defined. Often you find yourself having to "plod" to climb on points and ledges that allow access to keys, books and other items.

-Combat animations are unrealistic, jerky and often lead to missing the target in close combat, forcing the player to choose a class specialized in ranged combat.

-Mind read is a very good feature, adds an innovative RPG touch to the game, but it is completely unbalanced if related to experience cost.

-The game run smoothly, but the graphics of the objects in the distance becomes cheap:
creatures that move like zombie, walking as if they had wooden limbs, or wizards who cast spells that "vanish" after a few seconds and then reappear in front of the character.

-Considered the system requirements and the percentage of processor busy, it's expected a more fluid and realistic scenery.

-Talk to the NPC is sometimes annoying, because you always need to click "continue" after the last sentence, and you cannot do it using spacebar.

-Text in dialog is too small if you use a high resolution.
This also leads to a graphic effect that is unpleasant, because the text box remains empty and takes up almost half of the screen.

Finally, a note for the forum's Mods:
about the "eternal load" problem, writing "please contact the boys to SecuROM if the game has problems with loading" is like saying to the player "if your game is not working, it is not our problem, just bothers elsewhere...".
Obviously this approach greatly annoys those who buy the game and expects a product nice and functional; i understand that cd-check is not your doing, but... i see a lot of user with this problem, the least you could do is provide a patch or a formal answer, certainly not put off your users on third-party sites.

Please think about it smile
Posted By: virumor Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 20/12/09 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by Arlissa

-Mind read is a very good feature, adds an innovative RPG touch to the game, but it is completely unbalanced if related to experience cost.

It would be unbalanced if there were no experience cost.
Posted By: Zomgnome Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 20/12/09 07:54 AM

I also found these points that make the game experience frustrating:

Saying "please contact the boys to SecuROM if the game has problems with loading" is not like "go bother someone else" at all. They have every right to say it. What you are saying is like expecting Microsoft to patch windows for a certain game, while the true fault is the game who needs the fix and not the whole system. (Here, the whole system is D2, the "game" is the SecuROM").

- True. Most of the time its cool and fun, but it can be a bit frustrating in platforming section (makes me think of DMC3), however, they are short, you can save whenever you want, and personalty I never failed those moments more then a few times they aren't very hard. Jumping on stuff to reach keys and stuff like that is kinda dumb thou.

- I agree with this one. But it was never a game breaker. I enjoy D2 combat as a meele just as any other type, very enjoy it. Animations tend to be jerky, but I never missed my targets much, and the animations them self are pretty cool in my opinion. However, the next patch is supposed to fix this.

- NOT AT ALL. Almost every RPG has this system. The concept of it is "trade goods\ gold for exp or exp for goods and gold. You can see it in many rpgs, and this is part of the balancing. Its very strong in D2 since it also comes to rewards and not only mind reading, and even skills like Wisdom. A bit to strong, but it balances itself and lets you play the way you like.

- I actually never saw that... Maybe you have something wrong with draw distance? Can you give any specific time it happens to you?

- If there was one thing I loved in D2 is the world. It wasn't as deatield and as pretty as Risen, but much prettier and fun to look at than Oblivion, the poor auto generated world, or Dragon age, the room world.

- I actually liked it. Its annoying that you cant use the keyboard to continue, but its not like they speak for eternity. Besides it can let me pause whenever I want. Many times I find myself in a middle of a conversation\ cut scene when something happens, and either a lot of noise starts or I need to go. In dragon age it will mean missing quite a lot of text, here, I just finish hearing one sentence and I can go.

- I also didn't find D2 interface to be very pretty especially in high resolutions, but I didn't have any problem with seeing the text. But the 360 interface looks much better, the PC one is low res and looks cheap overall. Still, I never had a problem with this its like this in many good games.

If I were you I would be waiting for the patch. Its going to have a new targeting system, better hit detection (thats how I call "enemies will get hit if they stand in the arc), and an improvement to the character animaitions will be much smoother, the hero should move faster and not "jerky and laggy" like now. Theres more but I don't remember...

I also hope they will tune the settings and fix the stuttering and little annoying freezes that occur from time to time, and the arrows thing... But all your points are overall correct, just not as bad as you make them look like (thou the OP seems to be really picking the smallest things I never though of)... There are actually many little annoying things in D2 but none of them is game breaking, I'm surprised none of you really mentioned them, it seems like you haven't spent enough time in the game.
Posted By: stubbie Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 20/12/09 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Zomgnome
(thou the OP seems to be really picking the smallest things I never though of)... it seems like you haven't spent enough time in the game.

The OP...me....has made another post since my original in this thread. In that post I mentioned that some of my gripes were oversights on my part and some are no longer as annoying as they were.
I also mentioned that my impressions were initially after only 6 hours of gaming.

I have played the game a heck of a lot longer and my opinion has again changed. Rather than make another supplementary post I will just add the following until I complete the game (if I can actually force myself to do that).

Until I entered the Orabas Fjords I was beginning to really love the game.
However now I find that the lack of direction that the main quest gives, leaves me with nothing but despair.
The force fields and barriers are simply frustrating. You are given little if nothing in regards to guidance on what you are supposed to do or where to go to get pass these barriers.
And even if you are lucky enough to work out how to lower the barriers (or ask for help as I had to) all you find is that there is yet another set of barriers you have to try and get through.

While many people here praise the lack of specific directions in this game I find that to be the most negative part of the game for me.
Posted By: Arlissa Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 20/12/09 10:46 AM
Saying "please contact the boys to SecuROM if the game has problems with loading" is not like "go bother someone else" at all. They have every right to say it. What you are saying is like expecting Microsoft to patch windows for a certain game, while the true fault is the game who needs the fix and not the whole system. (Here, the whole system is D2, the "game" is the SecuROM").

What i'm saying is that when you buy a game, you expect it work.
If they want to protect theyr game it's ok, if the game protection (or whatever) damage the legitimate customer, then is not ok.
You make customer angry this way, because seem you really don't care after you got the money from them.

If I were you I would be waiting for the patch. Its going to have a new targeting system, better hit detection (thats how I call "enemies will get hit if they stand in the arc), and an improvement to the character animaitions will be much smoother, the hero should move faster and not "jerky and laggy" like now. Theres more but I don't remember...

You just seem to not understand the point, do you? smile
I can wait a patch, yes...

I also hope they will tune the settings and fix the stuttering and little annoying freezes that occur from time to time, and the arrows thing... But all your points are overall correct, just not as bad as you make them look like

So you're saying the game is not working as intended, but this don't frustrate you enough.
My point, on other hand, is: the game is not working as intended, it's frustrating and i paid for it.
Should i have know..... well, Got It Now? smile
While many people here praise the lack of specific directions in this game I find that to be the most negative part of the game for me.

The developers make it quite clear they had no intention of holding your hand in the manual, though they are addressing this in the next patch from what I've read.

The only main issue I have with this game (Xbox 360) currently is the inconsistent frame rate, (which I honestly thought I'd fixed by installing to HDD as it relieves it somewhat). This really needs addressing in a future patch to make the experience smoother. It's not so bad that it makes the game unplayable, but it does need addressing.
Posted By: stubbie Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 20/12/09 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by Unreal Warfare

The developers make it quite clear they had no intention of holding your hand in the manual, though they are addressing this in the next patch from what I've read.

That is just wonderful......you buy the game, and only then get to read the manual that says "and we on purpose made a game that doesn’t hold the players hand all the time.". How is that supposed to justify things? Most rpg's have sophisticated quest systems these days. The days of needing graph paper and keeping hand written notes are in the main thankfully gone. Hello......that is the current standard and is what is reasonably expected.

And I am not saying that I want the game to "hold my hand".
That makes me sound like a 5 year old child.
I am simply saying that there is no direction at all with some quests. Not even a general hint like... look in the north eastern section of the map. Just a journal entry like....find the quest item somewhere.

As I said previously, some people will appreciate this vagueness in the quest locations...I do not, to point of it ruining the game for me out of pure frustration.
Why do you say I wanted the game to "hold my hand".
You make me sound like a 5 year old child. That is an unfair and unjustified comment.

I think you should re-read what I posted a little more carefully.

I never said "you" wanted the game to hold your hand.

I said that by reading the manual the developers had no intention of the game holding your hand. Here, I'll quote it for you:

Originally Posted by Swen Vincke
and we on purpose made a game that doesn't hold the players hand all the time.

I also told you they are changing the map interface in the update.

Originally Posted by Lar_q
-More hints on the map

You can find a link to the thread regarding this update here.

Sorry if you find that offensive, personally I see nothing wrong with it.
Posted By: stubbie Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 20/12/09 12:45 PM
I do apologise Unreal Warfare

As you were posting I was editing my post. I didn't explain myself very well the first time.
I hope my edited post is better worded.

Again I am sorry for the misunderstanding.
Posted By: Zomgnome Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 20/12/09 02:59 PM

What i'm saying is that when you buy a game, you expect it work.
If they want to protect theyr game it's ok, if the game protection (or whatever) damage the legitimate customer, then is not ok.
You make customer angry this way, because seem you really don't care after you got the money from them.

But the game does work. The fact that there is a problem with a the protection system, probably and most likely implanted by the publishers (and not the creators of the game), that causes problems with the game working for certain ppl, is quite normal. Very normal actually, there is no game that comes out perfect. Things of this kind cannot be foreseen until the game is released. Every game, even those with very little bug problems, might be having tons of tech problems of this kind. The Witcher crushes, or Mass Effects blue screens are excellent examples. Unless the creators of D2 created this system, they really can't do anything about it other then pass it on to the creators of the system. The publishers however might be the ones you want to blame, usually they are the ones responsible for implementing such systems.

This is a big issue that needs to be fixed, I agree, but I disagree with how you blame the creators of D2 for that without considering those facts. This is concerning only the securoom thing, in game bugs are a different issue (you didn't talk about it in this post so ill wait for your replay...)

So you're saying the game is not working as intended, but this don't frustrate you enough.
My point, on other hand, is: the game is not working as intended, it's frustrating and i paid for it.

No. I'm saying that I've always known how this game would come out with tons of bugs, but I didn't care beacouse none of them frustrated me even a little bit, and I knew what to expect, thanks to reviews, demos, and the likes. The only reason I couldn't wait for the patch which I've learned about, was my curiosity. I'm not having any frustration with my purchase and I'm very satisfied with it. All I'm saying other than that I'm sorry that your not happy with yours, is that you shouldn't jump on the devs so lightly. Thou again, the op is the one who seems to really take it hard, so this content its not intended completely to you...

Should i have know..... well, Got It Now? smile

But you should have known. There are demos, forums, reviews, everything you need to know can be easily found. Moreover, the creators of D2 always said that they intend to improve the game further and bring it to its "complete" state in the last resale. This means that everyone who read about it knew how its going to be, very buggy, and like most rpgs, after a few months will get a patch that will make the game as good as it can be. True, releasing the game before its complete is quite a dirty trick, and not very healthy as well, but I'm sure the devs know what they are doing. The reason why it isn't to much of an issue is beacouse you are given the information you need about it. The devs them selfs talked about how they're planing to release the "ultimate" patch at the final release date (USA one) to bring the game to how it should be, and probably, even better.
Posted By: virumor Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 20/12/09 03:44 PM
Please give an example of a game released nowadays without bugs.
Posted By: Arlissa Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 20/12/09 10:44 PM
This is a big issue that needs to be fixed, I agree, but I disagree with how you blame the creators of D2 for that without considering those facts. This is concerning only the securoom thing, in game bugs are a different issue (you didn't talk about it in this post so ill wait for your replay...)

Whatever protection you agree to put into your game is your responsability.
Also, whoever pirate a game didn't get that protection, so make 2+2 and see if it does 4 or maybe 5 smile

But you should have known. Moreover, the creators of D2 always said that they intend to improve the game further and bring it to its "complete" state in the last resale.

Indeed, i should have know i was buyng a beta...
Please be kind and link me the exact line/forum/review where this is say by the creators before the EU relase.

Originally Posted by virumor
Please give an example of a game released nowadays without bugs.

A bug is a thing, a completely mess in gameplay and a problem that prevent you to play at all is another.
Man i'm using a cracked .exe file to play because there are no solution anywhere and i'm a legitimate user! Or maybe you want to suggest me not to play at all?
I'm not even certain if this is a protection problem or a bug, considering how many people call it out.
If you call this a "bug"... this is a beta version needed to be testet, not a "bug" :|

I was playng from 2 day long now, and my impression is this game got much in common with the "Gothic style of play" that i hate; mean you get a bad control over character, very bad secondary quest tracing and no point of interest at all on the map.
Someone called out a confrontation betwen Dragon Age and Divinity 2... after hours of frustration i think is like to comfrontate an eagle against a mosquito.
Anyway, i should have stopped playng and posting here some time ago, i doesn't make sense at all talking about oblivious thing with people who dont want to see it smile
Posted By: SirChronos Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 21/12/09 12:00 AM
Bioware games don't cause frustration?
Posted By: Arlissa Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 21/12/09 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by SirChronos

Oh yes, in fact i didn't buy some of theyr games.
But what it matter if Bioware make or not frustrating product? I'm talking about D2 now, it's not important if i liked more one (over 19) title of Bioware.
Posted By: Zomgnome Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 21/12/09 03:36 PM

Whatever protection you agree to put into your game is your responsability.
Also, whoever pirate a game didn't get that protection, so make 2+2 and see if it does 4 or maybe 5 smile

But again, its the publishers who did it, not the creators. All I'm saying, please don't blame the creators of the game for this particular issue (which is not their make).

A bug is a thing, a completely mess in gameplay and a problem that prevent you to play at all is another.
Man i'm using a cracked .exe file to play because there are no solution anywhere and i'm a legitimate user! Or maybe you want to suggest me not to play at all?
I'm not even certain if this is a protection problem or a bug, considering how many people call it out.
If you call this a "bug"... this is a beta version needed to be testet, not a "bug" :|

Indeed. This is a beta. But I won't call the game not working a bug, this is a real tech problem which renders it impossible for you to play, and that is wrong. But a "complete mess in gameplay" seems to be more of an opinion rather then a bug, thou it defiantly has some bugs (this is why everyone are exited about the patch)...

I was playng from 2 day long now, and my impression is this game got much in common with the "Gothic style of play" that i hate; mean you get a bad control over character, very bad secondary quest tracing and no point of interest at all on the map.
[/b]

Firstly, Divinity 2 "style of play" IS VERY, VERY DIFFERENT from Gothic. I have no idea how you compare between them, I am a big fan of Gothic (and Risen) so I know what I'm saying, they are very different. But if you don't like this kind of games, why did you buy it? There are still demos, reviews you could try to know that its this kind of a game, or at least rent to see if you like it or not. You can't blame a racing game for having cars in it can't you? And personalty I didn't have any trouble with quest progression at all (only concern with the bandit camp which I thought I missed). But it might be true that some people will need a more strict quest tracing, I'm glad I can do without it smile
And yea I also found Risen awesome quests to be very easy to follow (thou at first many people probably don't understand how to use the quest maps, only found out in chapter 2, but that is when I needed it...)

Indeed, i should have know i was buyng a beta...
Please be kind and link me the exact line/forum/review where this is say by the creators before the EU relase.

I agree, you should have known you were buying a beta. And I'm very sorry but I don't remember where I saw it, and can't find it. But I strongly remember it was official, and I think it was in the tech forums, about patches, when it was said "we planed to improve each version with each release, and it is shown in the review scores how it worked. We plan to bring the game to its "ultimate version" with the final US release". And had the same concept like that. Even still this is not an excuse there are still reviews and forums without the need for official statement (which isn't even given mostly). But I'm sorry you were a "victim" (I'm not sarcastic, its just that you aren't really a "victim"...) beacouse again your points are true. I just think you should have been a bit more carefull with your purchase \:

Anyway, i should have stopped playng and posting here some time ago, i doesn't make sense at all talking about oblivious thing with people who dont want to see it smile
Well I hope you'll try the game again after the patch comes out and maybe come back and talk about it, but whatever it is, good luck with your future purchases.
Posted By: Kein Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 22/12/09 11:59 AM

Then you haven't played BG/NWN/KOTOR
Originally Posted by Kein

Then you haven't played BG/NWN/KOTOR

I think he was asking the question "haven't Bioware games caused players frustration?" I don't think he was stating that Bioware games DON"T cause frustration.
the ending for this game....is so badly done...i just...i..
Posted By: Kein Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 23/12/09 12:50 PM
you... you just... you do? ...what?
Posted By: Joram Re: dear oh dear, Such a disappointment. - 23/12/09 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by khornedragon
the ending for this game....is so badly done...i just...i..

@Kein wink :
He stumbles over his own words oops
delight

© Larian Studios forums