Larian Studios
Posted By: Ben-Juda Ending........ - 10/01/10 09:09 PM
I just finsihed the game and I gotta say that was the worst ending I have ever seen in any game, book, movie, news paper etc. It totally distroys replay value. I think the game designers sat in a room and figured how the absolute worst possible way to end the game. I enjoyed the rest of the game but is like puking after a good meal.
Posted By: Zomgnome Re: Ending........ - 10/01/10 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Ben-Juda
I just finsihed the game and I gotta say that was the worst ending I have ever seen in any game, book, movie, news paper etc. It totally distroys replay value. I think the game designers sat in a room and figured how the absolute worst possible way to end the game. I enjoyed the rest of the game but is like puking after a good meal.
Hehe I liked the way you presented your argument. True however, it may ruin second playtroughs for many...
Posted By: Openedge1 Re: Ending........ - 10/01/10 10:03 PM
Yup. Just finished 5 minutes ago (credits ran, and I watched flabbergasted)

WTF!!!

All I gotta say. Truly, what purpose did this serve? I feel like everything I did was for naught.

Thank you Larian Studios
Posted By: DeviRyuuD Re: Ending........ - 10/01/10 10:56 PM
Oh, not again....
Don`t you guys get it, it adds to the intrigue, bad endings make way for new begginings!
Posted By: Pyrion Re: Ending........ - 10/01/10 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by DeviRyuuD
Oh, not again....
Don`t you guys get it, it adds to the intrigue, bad endings make way for new begginings!
Actually, bad endings more often than not serve as an indicator for the likelihood that a series has Jumped The Shark.
Posted By: Bloodcurse Re: Ending........ - 11/01/10 01:24 PM
Just finished the game and i really like it but i'm very disappointed with the ending! frown
Posted By: Joram Re: Ending........ - 11/01/10 01:52 PM
Oh, not again....

I agree, BUT ... give the gamers AT LEAST an ending that NOT destroy the replayability and don't break a hero-dream!

Be serious! Read the increasing numbers of gamers they are disappointed with the end !!
Don't forget about many many hours a gamer follow a story, leveling up his hero to defeat the Damned One's enemies .. and then ... crack ... the gamer's dream breaking into pieces!! frown cry

And with a little bit sense/feeling of "fantasy" (I'm sure people who makes a RPG like this HAVE fantasy enough!) they can make a follow-up, a new beginning after each kind of ending!!

I wish to be constructive and say (all of this is just some of my thoughts, not more than that wink )
* make a forumpoll or whatever that asks gamers for ideas for an ending of such a game like D II (or maybe an upcoming RPG ...).
* and give also the possibility to make more than 1 ending for/in 1 RPG!
* maybe a "competition" and a funny prize for the most rewarded "ending-idea".
* rated by forumpeople they give their meaning about all given ideas! So not only a selected group of people.
Posted By: DeviRyuuD Re: Ending........ - 11/01/10 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Pyrion
Actually, bad endings more often than not serve as an indicator for the likelihood that a series has Jumped The Shark.

Divine Divinity`s ending wasn`t good either, the fact that the Divine One takes the Child of Chaos in his care is already menacing, but they still had ideas to make D2ED. So i doubt this has anything to do with jumping the shark.
Posted By: virumor Re: Ending........ - 11/01/10 02:02 PM
I am pretty sure the Larian writers already had the entire story planned from the beginning until the ending before Divine Divinity was even released.

So a forum poll about the ending would be quite superfluous, imo.
Posted By: Joram Re: Ending........ - 11/01/10 02:04 PM
A poll superfluous? smirk ... that is your meaning! I have mine wink

I'm a great fan of the Larian games, but the endings aren't so good, sorry I must say it again and again! smirk

And when I may choose between DD or D II:
for me DD have a ending I can live with, but also in DD the story comes less stronger after coming in The Wastelands!

But after coming in the Hall of Echoes it is nothing more that a repeat of already killed enemies first and then a unexcept(unexcepted is for me okay!) ending
that is also an ending that breaks the hearts of many heroes! frown
Posted By: Urukhai Re: Ending........ - 11/01/10 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Openedge1

WTF!!!

All I gotta say. Truly, what purpose did this serve? I feel like everything I did was for naught.

Thank you Larian Studios

I agree.
Just finished the game myself.
Firstly, the hall of echoes was extremely easy, I was level 32 and I could kill most of the enemies in 1 or 2 hits.
The last fight ended.. too quickly lol. I did a couple of explosive shots and half of the enemies were already dead, just Zandalor took more hits than others.

Secondly, ending movie was a piece of shit, all that talk from divine was lame and ridiculously boring.
If you take out everything past The Hall of Echoes, than the game is playable, but this ending is miserably stupid.

I must agree, I have never ever seen such a lame and horrible ending as this. And trust me, I have played a lot of RPGs.
Posted By: marcusdavidus Re: Ending........ - 11/01/10 07:25 PM
yep 100% truth
u can make bad ending that dont make player want to kick dev ass : look on gothic 1 nameless virtually died but at last he kill his main enemy. but in d2 ? wtf
i rly can eccept fact that evill win whatbver i cannot eccept fact that dragon voice who guid u is not a freeking dragon at all so all hers comments are shietworthy next time u play .
also the main story flaws are rly big : why patriarh send us to save evill woman ? hes a real old dragon ffs and his nam is so magical that can mnake new words so how the fu he dont know that we are tricked? as we can find he dont want damned one go to echoes so why he alow us if we going to that spot for the same reazon damned one want . IS RETARDET and have no sense

they need to make addon asap cuz i will not wait on d3 to find again that wtf ending is retardet .
Posted By: DeviRyuuD Re: Ending........ - 11/01/10 07:53 PM
What you said about Patriarch makes me wonder, why is he in that cave, locked behind a well guarded door, in a room that`s filled with traps. Makes me wonder, what if Damian had him trapped and manipulated him?
Posted By: marcusdavidus Re: Ending........ - 11/01/10 08:15 PM
patriarh is like 10000 more powerfull than damian hes just lazy bastard as he say he give a fu aboute humans and theyrs wars etc hes overthis .. and he say that he sit thre to rest hes not hiding or etc and he go in next year or maybe in next 1000 years what is milenium for a dragon. << this are his words . also if y play the game u should know that patrarh wa in ths cave long before damned one was born .
Posted By: DeviRyuuD Re: Ending........ - 11/01/10 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by marcusdavidus
also if y play the game u should know that patrarh wa in ths cave long before damned one was born .

BAKA
You`ve never played Divine Divinity, have you?
Posted By: virumor Re: Ending........ - 11/01/10 08:20 PM
As you said, the Patriarch doesn't care about what happens on earth. Even if you are the last Dragon Knight. It is not his place to do so... he's just an observer.

He could probably kill the entire world with one word.
Posted By: marcusdavidus Re: Ending........ - 11/01/10 09:18 PM
devi i played DD but not much cuz got bug and my saves got useless so i go play sacred instead
anyway if im wrong aboute ptrarh im sorry but from what he say i can only thinks that he is in that cave long before damned one was born imho
Posted By: Willlem Re: Ending........ - 11/01/10 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by virumor
As you said, the Patriarch doesn't care about what happens on earth. Even if you are the last Dragon Knight. It is not his place to do so... he's just an observer.

He could probably kill the entire world with one word.

I don't even recall telling The Patriarch why I would want to go to the Hall of Echoes, I just told him I wanted and I neededh is help. :P
Then again, the ending disappointed me. I wouldn't say it's really BAD, but it's far from what I expected. I started the game again with a new type of character, didn't kill replayability. What really 'hurt' me, is the fact that all those struggles in my first playthrough have been for nothing! Man, where is the damn reward for all the fithing? :O Give me a damn statue or somethin'!
Posted By: Sirus Re: Ending........ - 12/01/10 03:50 AM
Ending reminded me of the point where you found out what was really going on in BioShock - "Would you kindly..." mind control smile At least in BioShock you had a little bit more of the game to play and you it had multiple endings...

I can see why most don't like the ending - you do all that work only to find out it was for nothing... But it does setup the next game pretty well - REVENGE!

Posted By: ironcreed Re: Ending........ - 12/01/10 05:29 AM
I just beat the game a few hours ago and was pleasantly surprised. It just sets things up perfectly for Divinity III, which I am already anxiously awaiting.
rpg005
Posted By: TemplarofSteel Re: Ending........ - 12/01/10 07:14 AM
I just finished with the game 2 hours ago. I am really disapointed in the ending, like many others probably, but i did like there creativity for an ending (come up with something different). The thing that gets me though, after i beat the game, i read the back of the game and said it stuff like "Defeat Damian, save Rivellon, and become the ultimate Dragon Knight!" Well the game ending goes the complete opposite. So one could say Larian Studios have been misleading you the whole way through. That's what got me pissed off a little. I mean after you're done killing all the criminals and killing all of damian's leaders, you get to be put in a crystal and the divine telling you "you got screwed" I was like wtf lol. Never got to fight Damian, didn't save Rivellon, and didn't really become the ultimate Dragon Knight. It would have deffinately been better if they would have given you hints of a follow-up, i think then i wouldn't be so much disappointed. But Larian didn't go with that and just leaves you saying "wtf! now what am i supposed to do." I do think they could have done better with the ending, while keeping the whole you being in a crystal in play. They could have had a cutscene after the ending credits that basically shows that this is not over, but they didn't do that.
Posted By: ironcreed Re: Ending........ - 12/01/10 03:31 PM
Come on, was the game not fun as hell and rewarding throughout? Did they not deliver on giving you a content packed game that provided hours upon hours of enjoyment? All this surprise ending does is set up Divinity III, which means we are playing through a story and it is far from over here. When Divinity III is finally upon us, it will be all the sweeter and will make the series more epic as a whole. Think about it from that perspective for a moment.
Posted By: Greever Re: Ending........ - 12/01/10 04:11 PM
What about Star Wars : The empire strikes back?

It's a good movie when you look at the entire trilogy.
But I bet everyone rooting for Leia/Luke coupling or wanting to see Darth Vader's ass get kicked, after he trained for it the entire movie, got sorely disappointed aswell.
Posted By: DeviRyuuD Re: Ending........ - 12/01/10 04:20 PM
This reminds me, Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. Poor Anikin got his ass handed to him and became Darth Vader as we know him. Isnt that sad, didn`t that ruin your movie experience?
What ironcreed and I said - makes room for D3.
Posted By: ironcreed Re: Ending........ - 12/01/10 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Greever

But I bet everyone rooting for Leia/Luke coupling or wanting to see Darth Vader's ass get kicked, after he trained for it the entire movie, got sorely disappointed aswell.

Exactly, man. Some of you guys are not looking at this from the perspective of the entire story that is being told here. When Divinity III arrives, imagine the anticipation of getting revenge you will feel. Will it not make the series as a whole all the better?
Posted By: ironcreed Re: Ending........ - 12/01/10 04:43 PM
This reminds me, Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. Poor Anikin got his ass handed to him and became Darth Vader as we know him. Isnt that sad, didn`t that ruin your movie experience?

Well said as well.
Posted By: Willlem Re: Ending........ - 12/01/10 05:56 PM
I think I know what this ending is missing:

a fading out screen in which the text "To be continued" appears. laugh

I mean, nothing ever ends!
Posted By: virumor Re: Ending........ - 12/01/10 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Greever

But at the end of Star Wars:the empire strikes back at least Luke & Leia were saved. At least the spectators knew there was still hope for the future...

In Divinity 2, all the player knows in the end is that one former hero and one new hero are seemingly lost forever...
Posted By: marcusdavidus Re: Ending........ - 12/01/10 07:48 PM
again ....

but ptoblem is not rly the loose of pc at end , ok damian can be stronger whatever but the style of that loose , u simply find out that whole game is pointless cuz your main char serve evill and this make some players rly hate to play again when they know they play for evill
Posted By: TemplarofSteel Re: Ending........ - 12/01/10 08:29 PM

That was a prequel though. We already know what happens to Vader so Revenge of the Sith is just a completion of that story. Even though the ending was mostly evil in Revenge of the Sith, it also did provide hope too, so people know that the story isn't over (even though most people knows what happens after that).

This game, however, doesn't offer much hope at the end. You see Lucien and your character in a crystal locked forever and Damien and his lover, Yergna (i think that's how you spell it) basically conquering Rivellon. Usually that extra cutscene at the end is supposed to foreshadow a follow up. Larian decided to squash that all together with the total evil ending. I didn't mind so much you being in a crystal, but what i didn't like was the extra cutscene at the end.
Posted By: Nalroth Re: Ending........ - 12/01/10 09:45 PM
I loved the game so much and did literally evry sidequest and errand for everyone. I thought it was the best game ever untill the ending. I HATE WHEN GAMES FORCE YOU TO LOSE! Its like Fallout 3 when you turn on the purifier but die in the process. Yes it opened it up for the DLC's but Bethesda said they would continue it. If Larian does not make a content pack/new game that lets you get back at Damian you can be sure that I will never play it again or buy anything from them again. As I look back, it was 50 ish great hours of gameplay ruined by one 5 minute cutscene.

Heres a poll I found on another forum. Over 50% of the people HATED the ending.
The ending was...
by Orophin White
Awesome 14 %
Good 14 %
Cool 5 %
Not cool. 14 %
Bad. 0 %
Horrible 55 %

Never mind replaying the game, I want a refund. That ending ruined the whole damn game for me...
Posted By: MonkeyLungs Re: Ending........ - 12/01/10 09:49 PM
The ending is poorly written, and the lead up is pretty lame too. Getting stuck in the crystal should be 3/4 through the game. The ending should be getting free of the Hall of Echoes and preparing for to face what damian and Ygerna have in store for Rivellon. They could still leave a cliffhanger ending but give the player some satisfaction after all the hours spent playing the game.

This is even more inexcusable being that this is Larian's first foray into a new platform, assumingly to broaden their customer base. For many players on Xbox this will be their first time into Rivellon and the whole Damian story is only very weakly presented to the player.

Most new gamers will be like WTF? to many elements of this story. Presenting the backstory in the form a few short books that players can read in the game is a cop out.

The game NEEDED to present the backstory to new players better. Having everything be a mystery might sound cool but it is going to cost them sales. For first time players of Divinity games this ending may very well see them never come back to the series.

The span of time between the last game and this one was a long time. When is a new game going to come out? Players will have long given up on this series by the time it does, except a small handful of players loyal to the series.

This was a great opportunity to build more loyal fans. Instead Larian decides to slap new fans in the face and drive them away. These guys have the coolest job and they squander their opportunities, it baffles me.

Larian put alot of time and heart into this game but their focus was misguided. They should have built this game like it may very well be THE LAST GAME they would ever make in the Rivellon setting and give some closure to the story.

They missed the chance to:

* - Really capture the minds of new fans and get them involved in the tale of Damian and Rivellon.
* - Provide background info in game to new fans through cutscenes and conversations.
* - Build upon their customer base by adding new fans. This game WILL drive off more new fans than it gains.
* - Provide a satisfying conclusion to this chapter of the story which is an even bigger slap in the face to old fans who have waited around 6 years for a new Divinity game.

----------------- They missed alot more chances too but this post is already too long.

I can gaurantee the majority of people who played this game will not be satisfied with the way the story was handled. Some of you will, but most will not. And most of them won't bother coming here to voice their opinions they will simply return this game and foget about rivellon.

Posted By: Nalroth Re: Ending........ - 12/01/10 10:04 PM
I agree with the post above. This was my first game from them, and based on the ending it will be the last unless they make a patch or something that gives you maybe one more quest to get out of the crystal at least. Maybe even let you look at Damian's fortress and start the attack. Larain must release a patch/DLC to fix the ending soon or they will lose many people, myself included.

Oooooh I'm stuck in a damn crystal while the world is destroyed is a horrible ending.
Posted By: TemplarofSteel Re: Ending........ - 12/01/10 10:17 PM
well said MonkeyLungs. For me also this is my first time playing Divinity, for i own an Xbox. Let them go for the evil ending all they want, but if they are continuing on with this, then it should have had a scene that offered hope at the end. This would go a long ways with players and instead of them forgetting about Rivellon (which is most likely happening now), they have some satisfaction that this is not the end at all. I know some people are saying "Well this sets up a revenge in Div 3." Well i certainly hope so, but they should have given that hint in the end of Div 2.
Posted By: Openedge1 Re: Ending........ - 12/01/10 10:58 PM
I would have to say that this is the first time I went to win a game...to lose in the end.

The presentation of the ending is the kicker. Why? We see that the first true hero (the Divine) had the same crap happen to them...thus, it presents a NO-WIN Scenario...the "Kobayashi Maru" of RPG's.

If there WAS a sense of maybe you can come back or you need to return somehow...then it would have been fine...or even to die would have been fine actually, and in a glorious way.

I was manipulated, fooled into believing through the whole game that I was spending my time to win...to only lose in the end.

Truly a BADLY done ending to me.
Posted By: TemplarofSteel Re: Ending........ - 13/01/10 04:14 AM
i think i ruined it for some of my friends lol. They asked me to tell them the ending in a short overview without giving details (this is for the 360). Well i simply said "you lose" and they just looked at me and said "what kind of game is that?" and now they're thinking twice about buying it. oops...lol.
Posted By: Joram Re: Ending........ - 13/01/10 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by ironcreed
Come on, was the game not fun as hell and rewarding throughout? Did they not deliver on giving you a content packed game that provided hours upon hours of enjoyment? All this surprise ending does is set up Divinity III, which means we are playing through a story and it is far from over here. When Divinity III is finally upon us, it will be all the sweeter and will make the series more epic as a whole. Think about it from that perspective for a moment.

Okay, I enjoying Divinity II very very much!! Until the ending!

But I hope Larian have teh money to make a "Divinity III" ! ... But what if many fans run away, only because of the 'weak' ending??
That's indeed a sadly thing, because a bad little success of Divinity II forces Larian to make and end on their Gamestudio eek frown !!

So, if they make an unexpected and evil ending: okay, but give at least the gamer a nice look for a possible upcoming game ... at least, because I PREFER simply another ending!

It is NOT that you can make NO follow-up IF you give a ending the hero wins!! And the gamer his/her hours and hours gameplay ISN'T for nothing!
For EACH ending they could make a follow-up, I'm sure!!
To tell the truth ... this is a fantasy RPG (for me) and with fantasy you can going each way up!!

Larian, please I begging you, give us a game with an ending SO gamers are satified and happy they play for hours and hours! And don't forget some fans make a "Fansite" too ... ! What did they thinking about all disappointed gamers or maybe they are disappointed too??

If NOT make a better end, I'm very afraid loosing many fans and loosing possible new upcoming fans forever!!

I was very tolerant and forgiving after playing the end of DD and I waited very patient for years to see what D II give ...
And BD I played of hours, but never go to the end because of the "Acts" (not seemless, not quite my thing), but I enjoy all our games' "gameplay", most of all DD and second Divinity II !
Posted By: virumor Re: Ending........ - 13/01/10 02:06 PM
I think Larian should foremost make the game they want to make, not simply catering to the tastes of the current gaming market.

Divinity 2 is quite unique with its ending for a reason. Too many RPGs already have the boring "hero fights bad guy and wins" endings.

Originally Posted by TemplarofSteel
well said MonkeyLungs. For me also this is my first time playing Divinity, for i own an Xbox. Let them go for the evil ending all they want, but if they are continuing on with this, then it should have had a scene that offered hope at the end.

The Divine is still alive. If that isn't hope I don't know what it is.

The entire hare-brained plan of Zandalor was exactly because he thought the Divine was dead. Now the plan for the next game could be "Free the Divine".
Posted By: Joram Re: Ending........ - 13/01/10 02:32 PM
Okay, an ending like "hero fights bad guy and wins" is maybe a cliché (for me for sure not boring!), but you can't ignore most of the gamers they playing an RPG wish to be a hero!!

For me Larian make his own unexpected ending, very courageous for sure!
But I think Larian was still hoping to make good money with D II and don't destroy themselves!

Maybe a game with 2 or more possible endings will be a very great thing I believe, but also not necessary to make a great ending!!

Yesterday I was thinking also about another ending and maybe the "rebirth"-case will be a nice plan!?
Something like:
the "soul" of the hero lives futher after his/her body dies and the soul comes back to undergo a new adventure ! And the gamer can REplay and replay many times, each time his "soul" growing futher until his/her soul is ready to rest final in Heaven.
His/her soul have final done ALL things in lifes (in RPG-terms: doing All quests, killing all enemies, ... AND also his/her knowledge is totaly great, like a wise wizard or something).

Posted By: Shocker Re: Ending........ - 13/01/10 02:38 PM
IF there is a D3, lets hope the ending is LOT better
Posted By: ironcreed Re: Ending........ - 13/01/10 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Joram
Originally Posted by ironcreed

Okay, I enjoying Divinity II very very much!! Until the ending!

But I hope Larian have teh money to make a "Divinity III" ! ... But what if many fans run away, only because of the 'weak' ending??
That's indeed a sadly thing, because a bad little success of Divinity II forces Larian to make and end on their Gamestudio eek frown !!

So, if they make an unexpected and evil ending: okay, but give at least the gamer a nice look for a possible upcoming game ... at least, because I PREFER simply another ending!

It is NOT that you can make NO follow-up IF you give a ending the hero wins!! And the gamer his/her hours and hours gameplay ISN'T for nothing!
For EACH ending they could make a follow-up, I'm sure!!
To tell the truth ... this is a fantasy RPG (for me) and with fantasy you can going each way up!!

Larian, please I begging you, give us a game with an ending SO gamers are satified and happy they play for hours and hours! And don't forget some fans make a "Fansite" too ... ! What did they thinking about all disappointed gamers or maybe they are disappointed too??

If NOT make a better end, I'm very afraid loosing many fans and loosing possible new upcoming fans forever!!

I was very tolerant and forgiving after playing the end of DD and I waited very patient for years to see what D II give ...
And BD I played of hours, but never go to the end because of the "Acts" (not seemless, not quite my thing), but I enjoy all our games' "gameplay", most of all DD and second Divinity II !

Well, I suppose it is all in how you percieve it. I know I sure as hell did not feel like I played through the entire game for nothing. Why? Because I realized that I was playing through a story that is not finished yet. wink

Divinity II is merely a part of that story, and I for one am quite happy to see an ending where you feel all hope is lost. As it sets up the possibility for you to emerge as a real hero with a real purpose in Divinity III. When viewed from that perspective, it is quite epic indeed. Thanks for giving me something more to look forward to, Larian. up
Posted By: MonkeyLungs Re: Ending........ - 13/01/10 07:08 PM
So in 5, 6, 7 or 8 years we get closure to the story??? That's something to look forward to? I promise you the people who agree with the wayt he story and the ending was handled in this game are the minority. Larian can make any story, ending, design choice they want but I'm sure they were hoping to expand on their fan base with this game.

They didn't expand their fan base. I'm thinking Divinity 2 was a massive failure on the Xbox 360 and while many of you don't care about that because you play on PC it will affect Larian and not in a good way.
Posted By: TemplarofSteel Re: Ending........ - 13/01/10 09:27 PM
I think Larian should foremost make the game they want to make, not simply catering to the tastes of the current gaming market.

Divinity 2 is quite unique with its ending for a reason. Too many RPGs already have the boring "hero fights bad guy and wins" endings.

well said MonkeyLungs. For me also this is my first time playing Divinity, for i own an Xbox. Let them go for the evil ending all they want, but if they are continuing on with this, then it should have had a scene that offered hope at the end.

The Divine is still alive. If that isn't hope I don't know what it is.

The entire hare-brained plan of Zandalor was exactly because he thought the Divine was dead. Now the plan for the next game could be "Free the Divine".
d

Well lets break it down now...You have all the components to get into the Hall of Echoes...which means there's basically no way out. remember this also the divine was aware of what was going on so i think he would know if there was even a slight chance of escape. The Patriarch also hints about what happened to Maxos also so i don't believe you'll be seeing Maxos all of a sudden being the hero of the day. Basically it's a "you're screwed" ending. The ending was badly written as it was a slap in a face with no prior hints throughout the game that could happen or not. I've seen bad/evil endings that were good, this one doesn't cut it. I do also believe that it will hurt replayability which means you might see alot of trade-ins down the road which will lower the price of new/used games significantly soon. I mean the used for price for this game at GameStop is already $44.99 and it just came out. I don't think they kept in mind with the new gamers that they will have when releasing the game on the 360. Most of these gamers probably never even heard about the series, in which when they see this ending they're going to be "wtf" and then stop playing the game again and trade it in. I'm all for bad/evil endings but only if they're done correctly in which case it wasn't. Like i said before also too "hope" goes a long way when it comes to an ending and i think if they had that hope in an ending like this i think the ammount of people that would be angry would lessen.
Posted By: Ninjavitis Re: Ending........ - 13/01/10 10:31 PM

WTF!!!

Thank you Larian Studios

Wait, is there something after the credits?

Anyways, Yea, I won't be playing through this again. I would play a Div3 as long as its not hastily squeezed out with as many bugs, holes, and problems. I spent a majority of the last half of the game with damn dragon form claws in my human form melee slots. *Facepalm*
Posted By: virumor Re: Ending........ - 13/01/10 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by MonkeyLungs

They didn't expand their fan base. I'm thinking Divinity 2 was a massive failure on the Xbox 360 and while many of you don't care about that because you play on PC it will affect Larian and not in a good way.

Massive failure? The game's just been released.
Posted By: MonkeyLungs Re: Ending........ - 13/01/10 11:25 PM
It doesn't take long to achieve massive failure in terms of sales on the 360. They can pick up steam if word of mouth and media feedback are good.

However:

* Reviews are lackluster
* Forums are FULL of complaints about bugs all over the place.
* The ending is a real downer for folks who are just introduced to the series. (If you know that these tales are really about Damian the ending is not as jarring.)

I enjoy the game ... up until the ending. I am playing a second character to try some new skills and try and see how much I missed my first time through. I doubt most new Xbox 360 players will fire this up for round 2 though.

Expect to see ALOT of trade ins which means less new copies get sold at game stores.

Larian has failed at many concepts of creating a console game with appeal to a new audience. Larian has failed at creating a console game with any kind of staying power ... you have to give players a reason not only to play again, but to hold on to their copies instead of trading them in. Mass trade ins kill new game sales.

Success or failure for console games is front loaded with the most pertinent of focus being on the FIRST MONTH of release. After that, unless you have some serious Multiplayer appeal your sales taper off steadily.
Posted By: The Divine One Re: Ending........ - 14/01/10 01:50 AM
I like the ending tbh... Really surprised me the first time I got to the ending video. Even pressed the escape-button, because I really thought I did something wrong and I'd had to load eventually.

Alright, it could've been better and some suggestions in this topic are pretty good, but I can't say the ending totally sucked or anything.
Posted By: TemplarofSteel Re: Ending........ - 14/01/10 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by Ninjavitis

WTF!!!

Thank you Larian Studios

Wait, is there something after the credits?

Anyways, Yea, I won't be playing through this again. I would play a Div3 as long as its not hastily squeezed out with as many bugs, holes, and problems. I spent a majority of the last half of the game with damn dragon form claws in my human form melee slots. *Facepalm*

Yea the scene that has Damian and Ygerna together on one of the flying fortresses while Damian's army conquers Rivellon.
Posted By: Ninjavitis Re: Ending........ - 14/01/10 03:45 AM
Yea the scene that has Damian and Ygerna together on one of the flying fortresses while Damian's army conquers Rivellon.

I thought that was before the credits? Where you see the zeppelins get blown up and everything.
Posted By: TemplarofSteel Re: Ending........ - 14/01/10 05:09 AM
Originally Posted by Ninjavitis

I thought that was before the credits? Where you see the zeppelins get blown up and everything.

oh it is? lol That scene never popped up for me for some reason...i think it's because i tried to go to the xbox guide and it screwed everything up.
Posted By: virumor Re: Ending........ - 14/01/10 08:26 AM

To be fair, ANY game forum out there is full of complaints about bugs all over the place.

Most people enjoy the game and never ever even visit the game forum.
Posted By: SwordAxe Re: Ending........ - 14/01/10 09:23 AM
How bad is the ending? I didn't read any of the responses because I didn't want to risk spoiling anything. How bad are we talking about? Worse than Risen? That was pretty bad.
Posted By: DeviRyuuD Re: Ending........ - 14/01/10 09:34 AM
Nothing like Risen, Risens ending was just lame. But this is something else, i enjoyed it atleast. Simply finish the game yourself, then you`ll find out what happens.
Posted By: TemplarofSteel Re: Ending........ - 14/01/10 10:13 AM
So in 5, 6, 7 or 8 years we get closure to the story???

ok that had me thinking because i uncovered an interview that was made with someone from Larian Studios and it was about the "disappointing ending" (keep in mind that this is a google translation):

pcgames.de: The End of Divinity 2 surprises the player with security. You talk here of artistic freedom and that she wanted away from the mainstream. As important, however, continue with the Divinity universe? Can we expect an add-on or a sequel?

Vincke: You're right - the end has room for controversy. That was our intention. To explain this, one must take I: The History of Divinity from the beginning was planned as a trilogy, even before work began on the first game of Divinity have. We are telling a closed, but complex history into a living, evolving universe. And the end of Divinity 2 will show exactly what happened at the time of the conclusion of the story in this universe. It highlights different characteristics of the main characters.

Here's my take on why it took 6-7 years to make Div 2. I think that Larian was anticipating that the end would call for alot of controversy and knew that alot of people would either be disappointed or right out disgusted with the ending. So i think while Div 2 was in development, so was Div 3. This would cut the wait down in half so people would not totally forget about Divinity, considering the type of ending Div 2 had. I would say that Div 2 was probably finished for a while and was waited upon, maybe, until Div 3 was at a good stage of development. Because i for one would not wait 6-7 years for another installment. By the time Div 3 comes out, i will have totally forgotten about it.

Now this still does not change my perception on what i think about the ending, of course. But this does make me understand what they were thinking though. Like someone said in another forums: "This game feels like a big advertisement for the next installment." I would have to agree with that statement as your character is made insignificant by the end while the Damian is still alive and well and is destroying Rivellon.
Posted By: Joram Re: Ending........ - 14/01/10 11:35 AM
An intresting story TemplarofSteel ! I hope you're right and D 3 comes faster than at laest 3 or 5 years!
I hope someone of Larian give a reaction about this post here? I'm curiously!

If it's realy truth there come for sure a Divinity 3 ( a trilogy!), I can more agree the ending of D II isn't most satified!
But I ask myself: was it maybe better to stay less unpunctually at the final end ??

Note written with a begging request:
a SEEMLESS world: so please Larian, give next time always the possibility to go back to Rivellon!! It will be a greater game and less frustrating when I can back and must NOT loading a earlier savegame! Because most of the time I play a RPG I'm IN that RPG swallowed totally and the chance I forget to make a "extra" samegame is 90 %!

And this is a positive note! Divinity II is for me still awesome!!! Sadly, you, Larian, forgot something realy important: a more seemless world! frown
Posted By: virumor Re: Ending........ - 14/01/10 11:49 AM

Here's my take on why it took 6-7 years to make Div 2. I think that Larian was anticipating that the end would call for alot of controversy and knew that alot of people would either be disappointed or right out disgusted with the ending. So i think while Div 2 was in development, so was Div 3. This would cut the wait down in half so people would not totally forget about Divinity, considering the type of ending Div 2 had. I would say that Div 2 was probably finished for a while and was waited upon, maybe, until Div 3 was at a good stage of development. Because i for one would not wait 6-7 years for another installment. By the time Div 3 comes out, i will have totally forgotten about it.

Now this still does not change my perception on what i think about the ending, of course. But this does make me understand what they were thinking though. Like someone said in another forums: "This game feels like a big advertisement for the next installment." I would have to agree with that statement as your character is made insignificant by the end while the Damian is still alive and well and is destroying Rivellon.

I don't think it would be Div 3, but rather an expansion. Like Beyond Divinity was.
Posted By: marcusdavidus Re: Ending........ - 14/01/10 01:00 PM
bey0ond divinity was bad .. i played like 10 minutes and delete from my hdd . i dont rly know how game was but that camera andgle was simply retardetto the point whre nothing can be more retardet . i dont say that game was bad i just say that i cannot ply in game where your toon walk on wall not on the ground :P they fu up that izo cam
Posted By: Joram Re: Ending........ - 14/01/10 02:17 PM
I definitely wish NOT to see such an expansion like Beyond Divinity!! And for sure NOT a game in "Acts"! (that's killing the freedom-feeling of an RPG!!)

If Larian long time ago says something about a "trilogy" .. why would this plan be frozen now ?? I don't see any reason why, only possible is Larian haven't the money/time/expediency to make a new game? eek

Beyond Divinity wasn't a part of this trilogy, I understand fine?
(hopefully not a part of it)

Posted By: TemplarofSteel Re: Ending........ - 14/01/10 06:26 PM
In that interview they also talked about replayability so i'm going to put it in this post when i can get around to it and i'll provide the link also in case you guys want to read the whole interview.

EDIT: Here's another part:

pcgames.de: Divinity 2 offers the player a classless character development with 54 talents, which one may use to increase and, as one of the bill has grown. Actually, the argument at all, run through the title several times to try different playing styles. However, thrusts her with the end of each player on the head so that he will address the adventure will not even sure, just because there is only this one end. Had been a different or even multiple endings, depending on the decisions in the course of the game, not the better choice?

Vincke: "It is not often that so extensive as RPG Divinity 2 to be played through to the end - this shows us that Divinity 2 is a very motivating game, and as a developer makes us of course. Your statement that we chose end destroys any motivation to Play back, we can not understand. Quite the contrary: one of you gentlemen tell us that they play Divinity 2 again and again to try other courses of story and quests to do, to develop their character differently, etc. "

Here's the site that had the link to this interview: Interview

I have to agree with what pcgaming.de is saying as for me seeing that ending did destroy any replay value for me.
Posted By: Urath Re: Ending........ - 14/01/10 08:25 PM
The ending killed your character off without you suspecting it which was quite annoying but the main thing most ppl have on their minds is how long divinity 3 will take to come out im not eager to wait another 5 years for the game i'll have a life by then laugh its much too late fingers crossed for any game or add on in the next two years hopefully...........
Posted By: Slade86 Re: Ending........ - 15/01/10 12:20 PM
I finished it last night and the ending could have worked, but it was too rushed, just some dialogue from "Divine" then thats it?
Having Damien walk out vicotrious and your character trapped away was a great idea but in my opinion was let down cause it was too rushed. Its an RPG, you dont slap a 5 minute ending onto it, save those for a game like Tekken.
Posted By: MonkeyLungs Re: Ending........ - 15/01/10 05:13 PM
How does my character even get put in the crystal??? I just teleport to it?

Further, Damian's many appearances throughout the game would have sense if he was in on the ruse. But the game clearly states EVEN DAMIAN HAD NO IDEA what Ygerna was manipulating. So they missed a chance right there to have the story make more sense. Damian could have killed the main character at any time, yet keeps letting the PC get away ... it's not like Damian has a care for sparing life.

The only way Damian sparing the PC makes sense is for him to have been in on it. But he wasn't as the game clearly tells us.
Posted By: virumor Re: Ending........ - 15/01/10 06:37 PM
It's because Damian is a charismatic villain... not to mention the Divine's absence already made him practically invincible.
Posted By: TemplarofSteel Re: Ending........ - 15/01/10 07:18 PM
How does my character even get put in the crystal??? I just teleport to it?

The only way Damian sparing the PC makes sense is for him to have been in on it. But he wasn't as the game clearly tells us.

That got me a little confused as well confused
Posted By: MonkeyLungs Re: Ending........ - 15/01/10 07:31 PM
Damian is a revenge obsessed maniac.
Posted By: Glenja Re: Ending........ - 16/01/10 11:35 AM
I absolutely agree with the original poster. I'm over 40 and I've been gaming since the days of Ultima 4 and this is the WORST ending I have ever seen. I have trouble finding the words to adequately express my hatred of this ending.

The thing about it is that I play games like this for the immersiveness and because I enjoy the feeling that my character is the hero that can solve all of the world's problems. That being the case, if the good guys (i.e. ME) don't win in the end, the entire experience is tainted.

In all seriousness, I don't think I will ever play a game from these developers again unless someone tells me IN ADVANCE how the game ends and I like that ending.
Posted By: Glenja Re: Ending........ - 16/01/10 11:41 AM
Oh, not again....

See, that doesn't sell with me, though. I don't WANT intrigue at the end. Intrigue is something that I want **DURING** the game. To me, each game should be a self-contained story in which I win in the end. An ending like this just makes me feel like everything I did in the game was for nothing. That doesn't just sour my feelings about the game -- it makes me not trust the developers ever again.
Posted By: MonkeyLungs Re: Ending........ - 16/01/10 06:38 PM
For an RPG where the player identifies more with their character the effect of an ending like this is even worse. Larian made a really bad decision with this ending. They also released an extremely buggy game to the new platform they were hoping to garner new fans in.

They need to fire alot of staff members over there.
Posted By: Zero Loveless Re: Ending........ - 16/01/10 07:42 PM
I think the ending was a good cliff hanger, I believe D3 will be an amazing game as the story unfolds. It would be nice to see in D3, somehow the Slayer Knight gets free, but this time you start the game with your tower and dragon form, would make exploring, storage, and powering up more at hand early on. Having Talana's spirit actually mainfest itself this time would be nice as well as more Patriarch action. I think they intended the game to end on this note, it's not bad, it's a the middle man, kind of like Empire Strikes Back was.

Great job on a good game.
Posted By: Brass_Buckles Re: Ending........ - 17/01/10 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by Zero Loveless
I think the ending was a good cliff hanger, I believe D3 will be an amazing game as the story unfolds. It would be nice to see in D3, somehow the Slayer Knight gets free, but this time you start the game with your tower and dragon form, would make exploring, storage, and powering up more at hand early on. Having Talana's spirit actually mainfest itself this time would be nice as well as more Patriarch action. I think they intended the game to end on this note, it's not bad, it's a the middle man, kind of like Empire Strikes Back was.

Great job on a good game.

You know, speaking of the Patriarch, if he wanted to, he could very likely set your character and the Divine free. However, he just seems so apathetic, I'm reasonably sure he wouldn't bother. I think he sealed himself away so people wouldn't pester him, maybe because he would prefer not to be forced to care about others' problems anymore. I didn't like him much, and I kind of feel as if I'm right in disliking him since he sends you off on your merry way to the Hall of Echoes knowing fully well that the consequences will not be good for you.

I doubt the next game will be about the Dragon Knight--not unless the Patriarch decides to make a new one. It would be cool if it were, because so much could be expanded on with the Dragon Knight theme. For instance, a different dragon form, the ability to do ground combat as a dragon (and not to mention use some of those natural weapons, the teeth and claws and tail!), etc. Let's be honest: a Dragon Knight is probably the only thing left that's powerful enough to take down Damian at this point--that we know of. I imagine we'll be given either a human hero, or something new that's more exotic. An elf, maybe? Who knows? (They're supposed to be extinct, but reading the books gave me the distinct impression that maybe they just became goblins!) One of the things that galls me the most about the ending is the fact that you can work all you like to redeem the Dragon Knights, but everyone's probably going to hear how your character aided Damian rather than how you were defeaten while trying to stop him. The Divine will still be praised, but you? You'll be triply reviled. I guess the good people at Larian thought we'd be pleased our character at least got to survive, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather my Dragon Knight be dead. Ah well, we'll see.
Posted By: BlackIris Re: Ending........ - 18/01/10 01:04 AM
To be entirely honest i think, like others, that the ending does set up very well for D3, though, i would have liked to see at least a "New Game +" feature. It was disappointing that i obtained, how many, 4, 5 maybe? Unique items in the fight before the dream sequence, only to equip them, and then lose them as the game ended. Perhaps in a later patch or DLC.
Posted By: Jorlen Re: Ending........ - 18/01/10 02:27 PM
LOL I liked the ending smile I thought it was a breath of fresh air compared to all the happy "I saved the princess" endings. Not here! I was a tard that followed a voice in my head without question, and I really f!cked up. C'est la vie, estie!

Now I want to make it all better in Divinity III smile
Posted By: virumor Re: Ending........ - 18/01/10 02:33 PM
Divinity 3: Quo Vadis, Draco?
Posted By: rickrous Re: Ending........ - 18/01/10 04:37 PM
Yo all I can say is if diviniy 3's ending doesn't make me feel all happy inside i might snap the game in half!
Posted By: scalla Re: Ending........ - 18/01/10 05:20 PM
Divinity 3: Quo Vadis, Draco?

I like your title :hihi: fits really well!
Posted By: Zhuk86 Re: Ending........ - 19/01/10 08:44 AM
I really hated the ending, up until that point I thought it one of my favourite games of 2009, definitely a 9/10 for RPG fans, but i'll never play this game again since Larian decided to snatch away all that I worked for in that game.

Posted By: AngryFan Re: Ending........ - 19/01/10 09:51 AM
I liked the ending but I hope you will still use the Dragon Knight character since he seems to be the only one who can take out Flying fortresses
I think maybe Maxos will come to help you since isn't he supposed to be in the Hall of Echoes 2? Plus the fact that he is supposed to be powerful enough to rule the world or maybe the patriach will think Hmm maybe I should do something since Damian is Invincible now.
Another possible solution is the dragon knight realises he can turn into a dragon which could shatter the crystal?
Not to mention the Dragon Knights rising power since he is now free of Ygernas grip on his/her mind.

Hope he gets freed with/without the divine because Larian has killed off alot of species so whats the point in taking out dragon knights?
Posted By: Brass_Buckles Re: Ending........ - 21/01/10 03:51 AM
Originally Posted by AngryFan
I liked the ending but I hope you will still use the Dragon Knight character since he seems to be the only one who can take out Flying fortresses
I think maybe Maxos will come to help you since isn't he supposed to be in the Hall of Echoes 2? Plus the fact that he is supposed to be powerful enough to rule the world or maybe the patriach will think Hmm maybe I should do something since Damian is Invincible now.
Another possible solution is the dragon knight realises he can turn into a dragon which could shatter the crystal?
Not to mention the Dragon Knights rising power since he is now free of Ygernas grip on his/her mind.

Hope he gets freed with/without the divine because Larian has killed off alot of species so whats the point in taking out dragon knights?

Maxos might possibly help, but as I said before, I can't see the Patriarch doing anything involving humans. Rule the world? To what end? Humans are so short-lived and short-sighted. What's in it for him? Besides, he openly said that he didn't think anything Damian did was going to matter in the long run. Even if Damian is now immortal, what does the Patriarch care?

And I'm not sure really that Maxos would help. From what you learn of him in the game, he doesn't strike me as being "Mr. Nice Guy." Very intelligent, yes, but looks like he'd do anything to get what he wanted. Evidently he did get what he wanted in the Hall of Echoes--even if he wasn't able to leave.

As for transforming into a dragon--I have my doubts. There's not really enough space, the crystal seems to prevent any movement except for one's lips (if you take into account the Divine's wordiness, anyhow), and can you even warp to the Battle Tower? I'm thinking not. If that doesn't work, why should morphing into a dragon?

I read someone's post saying they'd like a New Game +. I'm totally with them--I got epic and unique items, the only ones I've acquired the whole game through, during that final battle. Now unless the game's expanded, I can't use them. Even if it is, I still can't use them, because I can't save after the final battle.

I just really wish the game had a little more hopeful ending. A few days away from the game have made it seem less horrible, but there are plenty of people who absolutely won't play a game that they know to have an unhappy ending. And it really does quell my desire to replay it, though I probably will anyway, given how much I paid for it.
Posted By: TheRev Re: Ending........ - 21/01/10 08:25 PM
Making bad endings across multiple games just to lead up to the actual good ending in the last game is retarded. Games don't really work that way. Movies you can do that on as you only spend 2-3 hrs watching a movie. Spending 40-60 hrs playing a game to realize you did it all for nothing (especially over and over again) is very disappointing and makes this game a rental (for consoles) or a 10 buck sale item buy. Spending 60 bucks for this crap is worthless. The game itself was great, but the ending completely ruined it. Of course you are going to have all the fanboys jump on here and defend their almighty better than everything game series, which I find quite funny, but as most people have stated, and even the reviews stated....this game is not that great at all. All it would have took was a change to the ending and this game could have been so much better. As it is now, no replay factor whatsoever. The game leaves you feeling like you were cheated and deserve a refund.
Posted By: Bry Re: Ending........ - 22/01/10 04:29 AM
Game was ok...music was lame.
The rumble with all the big shots was way too difficult.
Cherry on top? The ending leaves me feeling cheated. If Larian thinks this will get me to play again they are mistaken.
Posted By: Joram Re: Ending........ - 22/01/10 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by TheRev
Making bad endings across multiple games just to lead up to the actual good ending in the last game is retarded. Games don't really work that way. Movies you can do that on as you only spend 2-3 hrs watching a movie. Spending 40-60 hrs playing a game to realize you did it all for nothing (especially over and over again) is very disappointing and makes this game a rental (for consoles) or a 10 buck sale item buy. Spending 60 bucks for this crap is worthless. The game itself was great, but the ending completely ruined it. Of course you are going to have all the fanboys jump on here and defend their almighty better than everything game series, which I find quite funny, but as most people have stated, and even the reviews stated....this game is not that great at all. All it would have took was a change to the ending and this game could have been so much better. As it is now, no replay factor whatsoever. The game leaves you feeling like you were cheated and deserve a refund.

Hmmm, what shall I say? smile I'm for sure a big fan of Larian! But also a critical one and that's okay! Larian may learn from what they read on this forum, I Hope so! wink

The day I played the ending I was very disappointed!! frown
Above all because I find this game fantastic and I love this game so much, but the ending frown frown ...
I find the ending isn't complete and in my opinion a wrong choise Larian makes! For example: an ending with more "Hope" in it will be much better! And because Divinity II IS an fantasy RPG, each ending could be make and each possible continuation is also possible!! And more than 1 ending: a possibility??? Why not?
I play at least 100 hours during my first playthrough! I enjoyed this game so much! I do not regret! If the game was not fun to play I would much rather have stopped playing!!!

I CAN'T agree people say they will never play the game over again because whole replayability is gone! NOT for me!!
Now I play it again and simply enjoy the game once more!!

But be honest: the moment I finished this game I was thinking: "I don't play this game once more!"
But the day after finishing I began play again Divnity II .... grin

Posted By: etrius99 Re: Ending........ - 22/01/10 04:27 PM
Here is something to think about. A while back there was a game called The legacy of kain. It went about the same method as what has happened with the ending of this game. Huge cliff hanger that made you go NOOOOOOOOO! It can't end like that! Then the next game comes out ( soul reaver and soul reaver 2) The cliff hangers made for sequel after sequel but the games became less and less enjoyable. The audience was lost because of time, time it takes to make an epic game like this one. I would have liked to have seen divinity 3 come out shortly after this one but alas it probably will take years and already have lost my interest. There are lots of RPGs out there. This one will only keep it's cult followers. The ending would have felt better had you gotten the truth while engaged in battle with Damian himself. If you're gonna make a cliff hanger ending at least make it epic. So the player doesn't go WTF....instead he/she goes Damn!!!! that was the greatest battle ever! I can't wait for the continuation!! All I am thinking about is how are they gonna screw the next ending up. Look at Mass Effect! Great battle cliff hanger ending and now I can't wait to continue with my upgraded guy.
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Ending........ - 22/01/10 06:35 PM
I just finished the game, and I think the ending was hilarious.

It's like when you're on Sentinel Island, and you see the Battle Tower for the first time, and it's so huge... and the ending is like seeing something which is that huge again, only it's a middle finger, not a tower. I thought it was awesome.

But Divinity 3 should probably not pull the same trick again. Larian did that in Divinity 1 with Ferol being razed to the ground after the Council of Seven performs the Divine Ritual on you, apparently they did it in Beyond Divinity as well, and now this game. If they do it for a fourth time, I think "Bad Ending Fatigue" will set in.

I do admit that it was a bit annoying that Damian shows up to taunt you not once, not twice, not three times, but FOUR TIMES, and you never even get to fight him!
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Ending........ - 23/01/10 05:52 AM
Ok well just finished it and I ABSOLUTELY HATED THAT ENDING! Divinity 3 better come out soon and the real Talana better come and bust the hero's ass out of there and him n the divine go kick ass n take names! AHHHHHHH I am so frustrated now, there is no way I am playin that through again. I really enjoyed the play even with the frustrating save curruption BUT COMMON! I can honestly say that is the worst ending to any story I have ever known, if he gets out in D3 Larian you guys couldve at least put some clue as to what is going to happen like the crystal prison forming a crack infront of the divine's face or something. OMFG! Ok that was a little steam, BUT IM STILL PISSED OFF!
Posted By: TheRev Re: Ending........ - 23/01/10 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Joram
Originally Posted by TheRev

Hmmm, what shall I say? smile I'm for sure a big fan of Larian! But also a critical one and that's okay! Larian may learn from what they read on this forum, I Hope so! wink

The day I played the ending I was very disappointed!! frown
Above all because I find this game fantastic and I love this game so much, but the ending frown frown ...
I find the ending isn't complete and in my opinion a wrong choise Larian makes! For example: an ending with more "Hope" in it will be much better! And because Divinity II IS an fantasy RPG, each ending could be make and each possible continuation is also possible!! And more than 1 ending: a possibility??? Why not?
I play at least 100 hours during my first playthrough! I enjoyed this game so much! I do not regret! If the game was not fun to play I would much rather have stopped playing!!!

I CAN'T agree people say they will never play the game over again because whole replayability is gone! NOT for me!!
Now I play it again and simply enjoy the game once more!!

But be honest: the moment I finished this game I was thinking: "I don't play this game once more!"
But the day after finishing I began play again Divnity II .... grin

You may have picked it up again, but I gave the game away. Horrible horrible game. Most of us, as the forums show, like to know that what we do has a good outcome. Like we are doing something for a purpose, this game just lets you do everything for nothing. No point in being a hero when you are going to lose no matter what. I figured I would give this game company a chance, but they just ruined their chance and I could care less if another one comes out in the series because I wont even bother renting it if it's on the consoles. Not gonna waste any more time with them. You may enjoy playing it again, but they are a company, and have bills to pay, mouths to feed etc. If they don't keep the mass majority of their buyers happy, they aren't going to make it far. From the looks of it, more people are unhappy with them right now than happy. It's kind of sad though, because they could have made this into such a better game with just a couple minor changes.
Posted By: Trystan Re: Ending........ - 23/01/10 07:46 PM
I felt the ending was rushed and not very believable. You go into the hall of echos with a bunch of stuff to protect you from it. You have help from a Dragon and Zandalor, who has the plan for such a long time that he should've seen if it was a trap or not.

Also the greatest mage in history went in to the Hall and never returned. Damian's girlfriend manages to manipulate Zandalor who is a great mage, mainpulate a dragon kight, keep all her memories and without the help of Damian while in the Hall. That's a very big stretch. Then to top it all off, you are imprisoned by her in a blink of an eye from inside a memory.

You went from a place that required very powerful magic to enter to placed in a crystal from someone that's been in there for years.

The last thing is finding that the Divine is half-alive and imprisoned in a crystal. Why doesn't anyone know this?
Posted By: Takagawa Re: Ending........ - 25/01/10 12:55 PM
so yeah got to second page to then had an idea but first just wanna say i loved the ending it shocked me a game hasnt thrown me a surprise like that since malek told me I'm Revan in KoToR( yes i never saw it coming shh :P) so I loved the ending

now hes something that popped in to my head...

what if Zalandar knew about the divine one being trapped....what if he knew Talana(sp?) was really err whats her face and he was using us the player to find the divine one so he could free him! the old dragon in the cave was in on it too maybe would explain why zalandar was so easily tricked by whats her face pretending to be Talana!

im probably completly off but who knows Zalandar was suppose to be some big epic mage so he should know that freeing whats her face isnt the thing to do really!
Posted By: Merdred Re: Ending........ - 25/01/10 12:59 PM
I agree. The Ending was terrible (for me anyway). Didnt feel very heroic, just rather helpless and stupid. Not exactly the 'feel' I am looking for when seeking out a game.
Posted By: fijau Re: Ending........ - 25/01/10 07:55 PM
I liked the ending. It makes perfect start for a sequel. The only question is: when is it coming out?!
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Ending........ - 25/01/10 08:45 PM
I guess that Ygerna hooked herself into the Dragon Slayer's brain shortly after Talanas vision of the flying fortresses ended.

I suppose that the only consolation for the ending is that at least now Zandalor might realize that something is wrong once he realizes that Ygerna is alive and so is Damian.

The next game Zandalor will will probably say to the designated hero something like "OK, NEW plan... kill Ygerna to weaken Damian, then kill Damian."

They could call the next game:

Divinity 3: Unus magis vicis (One more time)
Divinity 3: Permissum nos Tendo Is Iterum (Let's Try This Again)

or my favorite:

Divinity 3: Maybe The Divine Should Have Murdered That Baby After All
Posted By: OriginalSin Re: Ending........ - 26/01/10 12:01 AM
ROFL! Good titles Stabbey.

I must admit I am a little disappointed. I even spent the time to try and find an alternate ending, that I was sure must exist. But to no avail.

I'm resigned to the fact that I got totally played. Luckily I have a long memory, and am the type to hold a grudge.

I will have my revenge! Ygerna and Larian Studios will feel my wrath! .... eventually.
Posted By: Parogar Re: Ending........ - 26/01/10 02:21 AM
In Divinity III, the ending will most likely go something like this:

The world is in chaos because of Damien, so Zandalor tells you, a (dragon knight they thought to be long dead) to kill him.

You spend many, many, hours leveling this forgotten about dragon knight, suffering through countless trials and tribulations, until finally you are ready to confront Damien.

But just when you think you've won...! It turns out you have a heart condition, and you die of cardiac arrest mere SECONDS before delivering the final blow to Damien!

Aliens come and blow up the planet. You go to hell for all eternity.
Posted By: Walker Re: Ending........ - 26/01/10 11:31 AM
The ending was perfect. I'm sick of happy american endings in every single movie or game.
It dosen't cut your character out of the picture, just removes it temporary( or not, I dont actually care, that was his fate) and gives you some good reason for revenge. Maybe the grand savior will be someone brand new, and the paths of the two heroes will cross...

Stop whining and wait for Divinity 3, I know I will smile

Posted By: virumor Re: Ending........ - 26/01/10 11:35 AM
Divinity 3 will end with the player character waking up in Joram's basement in Aleroth... and realizing it was all a dream.
Posted By: Sturmritter Re: Ending........ - 26/01/10 02:37 PM
For Goodness sake! This ending is crappy after all the time I spent playing the game. (Btw, Patch the game so a WARNING takes place before the Evil Killer Bunny comes, I lost 2 hours of game play because I shot a rabbit. GRRRRRR!!!!!)

The Ending is insanely stupid, and I've come to the realization that I don't have to enter the hall of echoes at all.

If the DEVS read this, PATCH THE ENDING!!! Make the game enjoyable to replay. Not a headache that makes me want to strangle you idiots. I'd much rather see you add a section to escape the crystals, and get ready for a showdown with Ygerna and Damian, than a stupid "Gee. I had no choice but to follow the dev's lead, because there were no character choices to divert from your preconcieved and idiotic ending."

So, now I simply fly around the Orobas Fjords, and will kick Damian's ass if he ever tries to enter the Hall of Echoes. A much better ending, don't you think?

- Sturmritter
Posted By: virumor Re: Ending........ - 26/01/10 03:41 PM
This thread really needed some more RAEG.
Posted By: Walker Re: Ending........ - 26/01/10 04:34 PM
For Goodness sake! This ending is crappy after all the time I spent playing the game. (Btw, Patch the game so a WARNING takes place before the Evil Killer Bunny comes, I lost 2 hours of game play because I shot a rabbit. GRRRRRR!!!!!)

The Ending is insanely stupid, and I've come to the realization that I don't have to enter the hall of echoes at all.

If the DEVS read this, PATCH THE ENDING!!! Make the game enjoyable to replay. Not a headache that makes me want to strangle you idiots. I'd much rather see you add a section to escape the crystals, and get ready for a showdown with Ygerna and Damian, than a stupid "Gee. I had no choice but to follow the dev's lead, because there were no character choices to divert from your preconcieved and idiotic ending."

So, now I simply fly around the Orobas Fjords, and will kick Damian's ass if he ever tries to enter the Hall of Echoes. A much better ending, don't you think?

So much passion ... ^^

Drink a glass of cold water and relax, flame boy wink
Posted By: Meluiloth Re: Ending........ - 27/01/10 09:55 AM
So I just finished the game.. what the hell is up with the ending? frown It was extremely disappointing. After all those hours poured into the game I wish they rewarded us with something more informative and satisfying.

It leaves so many unanswered questions.. Are we stuck in the Hall of Echoes forever? Is there anyone left to stand up to Damian? Are there anymore Dragon Knights left in Rivellon or were we the last? What happened to Commander Rhode?

I was also hoping that we would be able to go back and finish any leftover quests.. :p

Maybe they wanted the ending to be unique with the bad guy winning instead of the good guys. But, for me, the worst thing in a cutscene is when your character is defeated and you cannot do anything about it. It's a little disappointing when your character dies after all the work you put into the game.

Anyway those were my thoughts about the ending. The rest of the game was amazing! I absolutely loved it! Looking forward to Divinity III.
Posted By: Zomgnome Re: Ending........ - 27/01/10 10:01 AM
I have no problem with the ending, only with the fact that a squeal is very very very very very very very very very far. No problem with cliff-hangers\ good (bad) endings, and its nothing new (aside from jrpg the endings aren't all that pink now days). I would prefer if the game will end before you enter the hall of echoes, and be continued in DLC just before D3 hits. This way ur not disappointed by the ending, and you will not have to wait forever for a squeal after seeing the cliffhanger and getting disappointed. But whats done is done, I hope D3 will make up for it, but still, the ending is disappointing not cuz its a cliffhanger, but cuz it will take a while for D3 to come.
Posted By: kashunut Re: Ending........ - 27/01/10 03:13 PM
Just finished the game....I like to say thanks to all the 'posters' here, the info was very helpful throughout the game...as for the ending, when is Divinity 3 coming out?! And, I 'hope' it ends better then this one Hmmmf!
Posted By: Galnospoke Re: Ending........ - 28/01/10 01:30 PM
[little spoilers]
OK, I finished game. It is absolutely stupid ending I have EVER seen in role playing games. During play I known that I was manipulated, so if I known - my hero know it too. This means RPG. This is RPG essence. But in this game what I can do (say) during last battle? I can say: "leave her" or... "free her". What a amazing choice. What a amazing piece of crap.

Someone want buy D2 or swap it for Risen?
Posted By: virumor Re: Ending........ - 28/01/10 02:00 PM
Risen's ending is even worse.

Ha ha.
Posted By: Galnospoke Re: Ending........ - 28/01/10 02:08 PM
Risen's ending is even worse.

Ha ha.

It is only yours opinion. Dont worry about Risen, "simple ending" it is not "stupid ending".

BTW: Definitely LOGOUT from game, forums and anything with Larian logo.
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: Ending........ - 28/01/10 02:30 PM
Larian
what the hell you were thinking
You have dissapoint so many
Only Virumor like ending ouch
Though he is fanboy hehe

Well anyway.I hope I will see D3 for 6 months or I am loosing interest.
I don"t plan to wait 10 more years for D3(kill Ygerna) and 10 more to finally see how Damian kill me or to see that Zandalor is bad guy
Posted By: Neltharion Re: Ending........ - 28/01/10 05:46 PM
oh wait...

the game has only 2 main zones? broken valley and orobas fjords...

omfg some1 explain pls as i feel the game is pretty short, even though i finished the game in 3 weeks... but i didn't even completed all the side quests...i still had a skill point unused when i defeated the Divine >.< (was hoping i could teach lvl 13 fireball from the trainer)...

good game, i wanted to last longer so i could test my new uber skillz...
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Ending........ - 28/01/10 06:42 PM
I think that the publishers told Larian to finish the game, so they had to cut out some extra stuff. I think that originally, Aleroth was intended to be another quest/combat hub. Some of the skill-describing videos were shot in the streets of Aleroth, but there's no fighting there in teh actual game.
Posted By: LASTTEMPLAR Re: Ending........ - 29/01/10 01:46 AM
I did not agree with ending ,they did do a very good job of it. Not at all like Never Winter Nights 2 .There they just had the builden collepes on hero, then some kind of water coler picture,and some no name guy saying thats all folks. One would think that Maxos would be kind angry that people were messing around in his domane The hall of echos . He just might do something about it. The patearc,did say Maxos was almost as powerful as him.Who knows what evel lurks in the minds of men.
Posted By: Ellorien Re: Ending........ - 01/02/10 05:38 AM
Hey, just registered to say how much I enjoyed the game and... yes, the ending.
Finally, something other than 'happily ever after', although ideally I prefer multiple endings. The final dialogue choices were not choices at all.
Having said that, can't wait for the opportunity to pay Ygerna and her boyfriend back.

Posted By: sloo_monster Re: Ending........ - 01/02/10 06:00 AM
I liked the ending, but it did not feel like an ending(more like it should be the middle of the game) and the game was way to short. AND you only get DRAGON and tower for about a third of the game. LAME, the coolest aspects of the game and you only get them for the end. Also not enough armor sets, there are only 4 and one of them is only 4 pieces.

and back to the ending; why can I not play the game again with same character and higher lv mobs? there is no reason for this.

second back to the ending; I really hope that there is an expansion soon, because this game felt like the first Fable before Lost Chapters, in that the game felt very incomplete, like some crucial things(items, storyline) were missing, like the lack of armor sets for every type of player(shield/ one handed users, etc). and the storyline felt incomplete. (like what happens to commander Rhode after being locked up? this is only one example of many).

BTW, this game was very cool and I took much enjoyment from it and I think it would be my favorite RPG to date(up there with Fallout 3), if it weren't for it feeling so incomplete. And I will be very irritated if there is never an expansion and they just go straight to Divinity 3 and leave the game incomplete. Not that they care what I think or feel(but I would think many of their customers feel the same).

Also, as an after note, if they do make an expansion, I hope it comes out very soon and not in two the five years.
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: Ending........ - 01/02/10 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by sloo_monster
I liked the ending, but it did not feel like an ending(more like it should be the middle of the game)

This
There is no any epic feeling after you beat game
Posted By: X-tasy Re: Ending........ - 01/02/10 01:15 PM
But now Divinity 3 could have an awesome beginning and a very good story not like the add-on of dragon age (or some other games)!

Posted By: Joram Re: Ending........ - 01/02/10 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by X-tasy
But now Divinity 3 could have an awesome beginning and a very good story not like the add-on of dragon age (or some other games)!

Hmmm... I don't worry about the beginning of each Larian game, o noo.. All Larian games for me have a good beginning!!
But I Hope they make for once and always a GOOD Ending in next games coming up!! Maybe more than one ending? But a Good strong ending please! The game is very enjoyable, intuitive and strong except some sadly things I already write down earlier!

I have many feelings about the ending: good and bad!
and all that things, godo and bad, about the ending are already written in this topic! I have mixed feelings about the ending!

I hope Larian can give a good explanation about the ending!! That I wish come very soon, because a next game isn't for "tomorrow"!!
Posted By: Ellorien Re: Ending........ - 01/02/10 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Raven.rpg
I liked the ending, but it did not feel like an ending(more like it should be the middle of the game)

This
There is no any epic feeling after you beat game

Not having any epic 'look, mommy, I won!' feeling is a huge plus in my book.

However, the ending does leave a bitter taste and unfortunately douses a desire to replay this otherwise fun game. A promptly delivered expansion can solve this problem though.

I don't get the 'game is too short' complain either. It takes a lot of time to complete all missions, discover all little secrets etc. I think it might feel kind of short because there are only two areas, if we disregard tiny Aleroth with its rather disappointing quest and the look-alike flying fortresses.
Posted By: Teg Milles Re: Ending........ - 03/02/10 12:47 AM
The ending was like a kick on my balls, hours making a great hero to kill the bad guy and then when u are the f...ing Rambo they send u to hell and lol at you.

I thought about tell my friends that this game is nice till the end, i dont want them to hate me.
Posted By: Maphesta Re: Ending........ - 05/02/10 02:12 AM
I just finished the game.

W-T-F was that crap about at the end?! I feel like I'm royally raped from behind somewhere in a place called Africa. In my mind I saw the developers laugh out loud as I was so stupid to think I was a hero doing noble deeds!

*SPOILER INCOMING (although I've no idea what somebody who doesn't wanna read spoilers would be doing in this thread)*

Seriously, how the HELL did a dead chick have the ability to reach out through planes and magical barriers to then root herself in my head and give me the ability to change into a dragon?! Plus disguise her scheme from the wisest man in the world (Zandalor) and The One Dragon (Patriarch)?

She must be a Goddess. In that case.. forget about Divinity III (unless that game just won't make sense) because Rivallon has gone to hell and nothing anyone can do about it.
Posted By: X-tasy Re: Ending........ - 05/02/10 07:06 PM
"W-T-F was that crap about at the end?! I feel like I'm royally raped from behind somewhere in a place called Africa. In my mind I saw the developers laugh out loud as I was so stupid to think I was a hero doing noble deeds!"

Yes I think this is it !!!

the developers wants to make us think about the games we played !!
in everyother rpg i know , i´ve just have to kill all monsters and enemys and at the end evrything is happy frown this is booring!!

and no everybody have to think about that what he did and not just throw the div 2 to the other standard role playe games into the corner !!
this is what div 2 makes so special for me the unnormal ending where you could learn something
Posted By: 30johner Re: Ending........ - 06/02/10 05:34 AM
I finished a few days ago and the ending didn't piss me off. Like what X-tasy was saying this game breaks that monotonous ending many stories have, that everything works out in the end. Seeing the bad guys win for once is like a breath of fresh air. Still, I do hope a divinity 3 or episode 2 is made to continue the story.

(100th post grin )
Posted By: sloo_monster Re: Ending........ - 07/02/10 09:55 PM
What I find hilarious, is that Rhode was absolutely right. YOU are a or THE BETRAYER. You just fucked the world over with your headstrongness.

It makes Rhode even more sexy, being right and all.

Now I have a question, I have now beat the game twice, once in hard and once in normal, both times using shield and one handed weapon, one being pure warrior, one being a warrior mage combo(which worked out really well and made the game pretty easy, firewall and way of the Battle Mage ftw).

The question is when does evil little girl get into your Head? because I have worked out that Talana is who she says she is at first and gives you dragon powers. This is because one) evil girl does not have dragon powers and therefore can not give them to you, two) evil girl is in Hall of Echoes and can not physically reach out to you, in dragon form or not, otherwise she would just get Damian to come and get her, and I am sure that Damian could figure out how to get to the hall of echos, as he can enter dragon tower freeing, destroy any town he wants and force the Azeroth guy to give him the scroll.

So I have worked out that she gets in your head just after you get dragon powers and as the game says she gets in due to your temporary weakness and lodges like a tick.

OR

second possibility is that she was already lodged in Talana's head and with Talana's powers she comes over to you

Posted By: Threax Re: Ending........ - 09/02/10 12:07 AM
Very offensive talk
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Ending........ - 09/02/10 12:55 AM

The question is when does evil little girl get into your Head? because I have worked out that Talana is who she says she is at first and gives you dragon powers. This is because one) evil girl does not have dragon powers and therefore can not give them to you, two) evil girl is in Hall of Echoes and can not physically reach out to you, in dragon form or not, otherwise she would just get Damian to come and get her, and I am sure that Damian could figure out how to get to the hall of echos, as he can enter dragon tower freeing, destroy any town he wants and force the Azeroth guy to give him the scroll.

So I have worked out that she gets in your head just after you get dragon powers and as the game says she gets in due to your temporary weakness and lodges like a tick.

OR

second possibility is that she was already lodged in Talana's head and with Talana's powers she comes over to you

I think that it's the first case - She gets into your head after the vision of your first flight as a dragon ends, but before Damian wakes you up. That's the only thing which makes sense to me.
Posted By: Moofly Re: Ending........ - 09/02/10 07:16 AM
For those who said the bad endings in D2 are preparation for D3. Having played games from Larian in the past, I can predict D3 endings as well: "The hero dies, evil triumph... again!"

.... and then... more posts in the forums "Don't be sad, get ready for D4..."
Posted By: 30johner Re: Ending........ - 09/02/10 10:41 PM
I doubt they'll do a repeat ending. Usually any kind of franchise will use somewhat obvious endings or cliffhangers, but they won't repeat them, especially one they just used.

What's a more likely ending for the next part will be you kill Damien and Ygerna, but then you find out there's a bigger threat that's been behind the scenes and Damien was just a henchmen.
Posted By: oggy Re: Ending........ - 11/02/10 08:58 PM
I have to say, i am really enjoying this topic. After a few hours of reading i realized then i actually like this end. Like others i have a ton of questions, but all will have to wait on Divine III. Only one thing does not let me sleep. After first killing Ball and second killing Bosses in Hall of Echoes drop me some red EPIC items. Please does anyone know what is a purpose of those things? Could i use them on beginning of the game somehow?

Sorry for any mistakes, English is not my native language smile
Posted By: sloo_monster Re: Ending........ - 14/02/10 05:11 AM
I do not think you may use the epic items in the beginning. Just a random drop. Kinda odd if you ask me, because a lucky drop there is not really going to change how well you do in the end as you can no longer enchant at this point in the game. Oh well.
Posted By: oggy Re: Ending........ - 14/02/10 07:54 PM
Yes you are right, but these EPIC items have strange requirements like 2.level or 13 strength. Thats why i have to ask again. May i use them on beginning of the game somehow?
Posted By: Abelard Re: Ending........ - 14/02/10 08:09 PM
Just finished the game and I agree with the folks that think the ending was poorly done. I personally don't mind an ending that is less than perfectly happy or that turns the table on the player in some way but the way Larian did it here comes off as clumsy and a bit cheap. And as much as I really liked Divine Divinity (I dropped Beyond Divinity after about an hour), I am not going to be sticking around to see how things turn out.

What a shame, with a bit more polish and a more developed story, this could have been an amazing game. So close....

Posted By: Joram Re: Ending........ - 15/02/10 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by oggy
I have to say, i am really enjoying this topic. After a few hours of reading i realized then i actually like this end. Like others i have a ton of questions, but all will have to wait on Divine III. Only one thing does not let me sleep. After first killing Ball and second killing Bosses in Hall of Echoes drop me some red EPIC items. Please does anyone know what is a purpose of those things? Could i use them on beginning of the game somehow?

Sorry for any mistakes, English is not my native language smile

Me too, fun to read whole topic wink ... and I begin to like the ending, BUT not this:
And about Epic items in Hall of Echoes you can find:
it's a case I don't feel fine at all! Finding a nice weapon/armor in the Hall of Echoes, but I CAN'T enchant it anymore ...
BECAUSE of that DAMNED "CAN'T go back to the Orobas Fjords (and so on) AFTER GO IN THE HALL OF ECHOES!!!"

Please, Larian, make any ending you want, BUT make a SEEMLESS world, please, begging you!!!

Reasons I love to have the possibility to go back to (in this game) the Orobas Fjords (and so on):
1) if I discover my character is to weak for the final battle, I can go back for more XP or better equipment;
2) if I'm a lucky one that find a wonderfull weapon/armor in that Hall of Echoes with enchantment-slots, I can go back to my enchanter;
3) if I simply wish to do more quests after doing the final battle (and save my game just before the final battle)... I can load again an go back ... for doing more quests ...
4) if I find the enemies I must kill just after going IN the Hal of Echoes TOO difficult .. I can go back ...
5).... etc ...

Posted By: talia60 Re: Ending........ - 16/02/10 10:11 PM
after reading all of these differant posts i'm of the mind not to even go into the hall of echo's but to quit right here. when, or if, they come out with 3, then go back and finish up the game just so i won't have to live as a loser while waiting for next game.
Posted By: Joram Re: Ending........ - 17/02/10 07:54 AM
It's not a shame to be a loser, but for many players, it's for sure a disappointment, this ending, but not for all players wink

But if you go in the Hall of Echoes, be very very sure you have at least 1 savegame BEFORE you enter the Hall of Echoes!!!

I wish/hope Larian makes no more such a stupid "mistake" like "Not possible to going back" !!... here so stupid thing with the "Hall of Echoes" and in Divine Divinity with the "Wastelands" (with that difference the Wastelands has a shop to buy better gear etc ...and a few quests to solve smile ).
Posted By: S0ulr34ver Re: Ending........ - 17/02/10 04:52 PM
Just finished... Just saw how I screwed up everything in Rivellon... Larian should stop sleeping, stop going out on saturday nights (or every other day, just to be sure), completing patches for D2 and IMMEDIATELY start D3... /me with a whip in both hand... and when I say IMMEDIATELY [Jack Bauer]I mean IMMEDIATELY![/Jack Bauer] laugh

Joking mode aside, as the second chapter of an epic tale, no other ending could be more appropriate than this. I don't feel myself a loser, just a little bit frustrated in my efforts to help Rivellon and the Divine. DD and D2 prepared the epic 3rd chapter in which everything will be set once and for all. At least with Damian and Ygerna... At least... I hope... laugh
Posted By: Savagelee Re: Ending........ - 17/02/10 10:41 PM
I was shocked at the ending, I was hoping to kick that bald b*****d in the head like he did me earlier in the game. I am playing it again this time as a mage/ranger. I enjoyed the dialogue and the NPC's personalities I thought they were quite funny at times. I especially liked the two gossiping women in the village.
Posted By: Lostsheep Re: Ending........ - 20/02/10 11:04 AM
The ending was cheap for me and killed any re-playability the game might have had.

A great shame as,for the most part,this was a very good,and surprisingly stable,game.

However,why would you want to go through all that only to destroy the world,AGAIN!

It's not as if the ending was a result of the choices your character made,as,however you play the game,you can't avoid the ending as written by Larian.

I see the ending purely as a cheap trick designed to make you want to play Divinity 3.This may work if number 3 arrives quickly but if the delay between 2 and 3 is as long as that between 1 and 2,I feel that the ending will simply leave a bad taste inthe mouth of many players.
Posted By: tocumi Re: Ending........ - 22/02/10 05:21 AM
Why so many complaint about the ending? Is the ending that bad that it makes the game less fun? Do people really enjoy the cookie cutter ending in which good guy saves princess and live happily ever after? How many RPGs have that already? I'm not saying it's the best ending but RPGs have always been about the journey not the end. Perhaps a solution to this is for Larian to make 2 endings, one cookie cutter good and other this ending.

I do admit the game felt rush near the end in which it felt like the producers were running out of money and needed to wrap it up. This is expected when you are on a limited budget unlike the budget given to Final Fantasy XIII, Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age. Doing a game in 3d is pretty expensive when compared to 2d, however this is the trend if you want more buyers and small time developers have to compete on a much lower budget. Could they have developed a much deeper and longer 2d rpg with less graphical flare? I'm pretty sure they could, but the sales number may hurt in the end. I assume they did what they could with the budget that they had, so let's try to be a little considerate.

With regards to the game stopping at level 35ish, I did wish it would continue on a bit further so that you can enjoy your tower and your dragon form more. Giving the dragon/tower in the middle and than rushing to the end feels a bit hollow. At least the company isn't charging you extra for the tower as DLC like in games such as Dragon Age.

With regards to re-playability, it would be nice if they could work in an ability to replay on a more advance level with the gears you earned kinda like Diable II, but I know that would be a challenging balance issue. You are pretty much invincible near the end because most of the enemies are 2-4 levels below you. This game is unbalance in that the beginning is hard but near the end it becomes way too easy. As a ranger, my splitting arrow can do around 3500-4000 ( on a single target)and explosive arrow does 2500-3700. Bosses usually go down within a couple of sec. I honestly didn't even get a chance to enchant any of my gears throughout the game because either I had more powerful gears or that the item that I could have enchanted really wasn't worth it. Also regardless of the ending good or bad outcome, it shouldn't really stop people from replaying a game. Remember it's the journey not the end that is the fun factor. Trying out different builds or killing a boss using a different strategy is enough of a reason for me to replay.

In the end though, if those 30-40 hours that you spent playing this game was horrible and felt like a punishment, then don't punish yourself further by replaying it. On the other hand, if those 30-40 hours felt fun and entertaining they perhaps maybe you should try another round.
Posted By: Nuriyan Re: Ending........ - 25/02/10 01:31 AM
I just finished this game right now.

First off, this game ranks probably in my top 10 favorite games of all time. No, really..I think I started getting into games around 1995, so this game IS good (to me at least).

The ending could be bad or good. To me it really was neither. I enjoyed playing the game entirely, and never found a dull moment. This game really got better from start to finish for me, where as a lot of games start off good then just fall off the edge. If this is the last Divinity game to ever come out, then I'd lean towards the ending being a thumbs down. If Divinity 3 comes out, then we really won't know whether this ending was good or not till then.

The ending also had a very "Sacred 2'ish" feel to it. If you've beat Sacred 2, you'll know what I mean. However, the game was just too fun the entire time for me to be mad at a rather lackluster ending. Sure, I would have liked to have fought Damian at least, and seen previous characters such as Lovis play some role towards the end, but hey - it is what it is. And, the Hall of Echoes was rather cool, though the "bosses" seemed too easy the second time around.

Either way, despite an ending which I really favored neither good or bad - the game is terrific.
Posted By: virumor Re: Ending........ - 25/02/10 02:54 PM
The ending is also similar to Dungeon Siege 2's. The expansion came out not long after.
Posted By: sloo_monster Re: Ending........ - 25/02/10 07:34 PM
The ending is also similar to Dungeon Siege 2's. The expansion came out not long after.

Dungeon Siege two had a better ending. You actually get to fight the guy you thought was the big bad guy and kill him. It just turned out that he wasn't actually the big bad guy, but just a henchman.
Posted By: virumor Re: Ending........ - 26/02/10 03:48 PM

Dungeon Siege two had a better ending. You actually get to fight the guy you though was the big bad guy and kill him. It just turned out that he wasn't actually the big bad guy, but just a henchman.

But similar to Divinity 2, you were manipulated all along, which seems to be the main gripe of people that complain about Divinity 2's ending.
Posted By: sloo_monster Re: Ending........ - 26/02/10 05:40 PM

Dungeon Siege two had a better ending. You actually get to fight the guy you though was the big bad guy and kill him. It just turned out that he wasn't actually the big bad guy, but just a henchman.

But similar to Divinity 2, you were manipulated all along, which seems to be the main gripe of people that complain about Divinity 2's ending.

True. All in all though I thought that Divinity 2 was better, even with possibly poor ending(depending if there is an expansion or not). I was so unimpressed by Dungeon Siege 2 that I did not even buy the expansion, even if the last fight was a lot more epic.
Posted By: RasterOps Re: Ending........ - 04/03/10 09:33 PM

To be fair, ANY game forum out there is full of complaints about bugs all over the place.

Most people enjoy the game and never ever even visit the game forum.
Very true!

Originally Posted by Moofly
For those who said the bad endings in D2 are preparation for D3. Having played games from Larian in the past, I can predict D3 endings as well: "The hero dies, evil triumph... again!"

.... and then... more posts in the forums "Don't be sad, get ready for D4..."
LOL, get outta my head!

Wow! My jaw dropped, my mind swirled, I was so stunned and disappointed; even hurt. I was lost and just sat there dazed as the credits rolled. I thought that must ruin the replay value whereas before the ending I was eagerly waiting to play again. I will play again. I don't think the ending was bad or good. It certainly plays to the story. There could have been more dialog in the ending to better tie up the loose ends. As others have said; Am I in a crystal? How'd I get in a crystal?

The ending could have been different and the story still continued in D3. The developer chose this ending and surely knew all the flak that would come. It was a bold move. I have never felt this way before about amyself, my hero, my character at the end of a campaign. Thank you Larian for the experience!

A Dragon Knight/betrayer was responsible for the death of the Divine. Now you have played a Dragon Knight, perhaps hoping to clear the name of all Dragon Knights. Now you don't have to imagine how the original "Betrayer" might have felt when he/she realized he/she was falsely manipulated! Supposedly, according to Zandalor, the truth of the original betrayer is innocent? How did he say it? "There is truth and there is the perception of it. You will find out later..." Well, we are now all Betrayers. How does it feel? I guess we know the truth but the perception is as Rhode said all along. The problem with Rhode is her/their single-mindedness, almost fanatical. Eliminating the dragons and their knights only ensures another type of powerful being would be manipulated, be they human, dwarf, elf... Rhode! Now that would be poetic justice.
Posted By: Stokkolm Re: Ending........ - 04/03/10 11:04 PM
Are you people saying that good vs evil, good wins makes a good story? Please die in hell, because people like you make bad movies like Avatar have so much success. I'm not saying Avatar is crap, just it could have been much better if it wasn't so "dumbed down".

Anyway, I was nearing the completion of the game and I was kinda disappointed that i spent ~30-50 hours (or more?) on just another run-of-the-mill RPG with the same ultra-cliché story of the chosen one saving the world. But i said to myself "I'll finish this so i can move on to something better like Mass Effect, Risen, Policenauts". I went for the ending with low expectations and it completely blew me away. Not only it's not the cliché story that has been told millions of times since ancient Greece tales, but it's a great achievement for game storytelling. Very cleverly built up, for instance i wandered why Damian was so stupid to let me live when he had so many chances to kill me, but in the end it all made sense. And Talana the Dragon Knight, I was so convinced she is wrong with her beliefs yet... wow...

It's a brilliant ending, and that's a fact. It's not a matter of taste. It's a matter of lack of taste for who thinks otherwise.
Posted By: RasterOps Re: Ending........ - 05/03/10 04:15 AM
Just to clarify. When I thanked Larian I was being sincere not sarcastic.

@ Stokkolm, "Please die in hell...". WTF?

Why are so many people so hateful???
Posted By: virumor Re: Ending........ - 05/03/10 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by RasterOps

It comes with the Internet. It gives people the opportunity to hide behind anonymity and act/talk like they never would dare in real life.
Posted By: lord amg Re: Ending........ - 01/04/10 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by RasterOps

It comes with the Internet. It gives people the opportunity to hide behind anonymity and act/talk like they never would dare in real life.

indeed but I think you still shouldn't write what some people write on the forum (talking about the hateful post, i really enjoy reading the rest smile ) you should always stay nice, even on internet.

I enjoyed the game, the story is very good and took me. I never expected such an ending and I think it is a really good ending (so not cheap like some people say), life isn't always fair and good so a game shouldn't be that either I think. I replayed the game so that is possible, collected many items and skillbooks i left the first time. In my opinion : strong story + good enough graphics + wonderful game music + nice gameplay = one of the best games i ever played.
Posted By: Marls Re: Ending........ - 26/05/10 01:17 PM
God you people sicken me

you are all qq because your hero didnt get the always win ending and become champion of the world.

I actually liked the ending myself, and yet I always play good role characters. The ending opens up possible new pathways for an extended story. oh and gets this!......... your're character didnt even die! . Its not like playing nwn2 when your character and fellow companion actually got burried in a collapsing underground temple and became MIA after defeating the big bad dude.

Its when things get f...ked up or become desperate, is when the real heros begin to shine. And earn the rights to a hero. I thought the game had quiet a few flaws, but its twisted ending has me interested in what happens next. Evil has previaled, will there be a new shining light to render out the darkness and save the dragon, or will the dragon become a true hero and fight to the end. This I have to see!

I actually laughed when I realized I'd been played like a fiddle. Do I think I wasted my time on this game because I didnt get the win ending? shit no. I dont need a happy carebear ending to to make it worthwhile.
Posted By: Joram Re: Ending........ - 27/05/10 06:37 AM
Nice to read this Marls smile

I like the ending like it is: a good or a bad for my hero. Confused or not. And it is my problem if I'm disappointed.
But it is a chooice I make: happy like a game is or better put my hands off from games (I don't like).
For me: I play a game for enjoying some of my "free time" I have in my life and nothing more than that!

Yeah, this is all "a game" and I don't take all things in games too seriously wink

I always wish to "play" a game, have a nice time "playing" and wish it stays in my mind like "a game", for once and for all!

Posted By: wildstar Re: Ending........ - 01/06/10 05:29 AM
I actually loved the ending. It obviously begs for a sequel, or at least some expansion packs. More importantly, however, I appreciated the fact that it didn't end with rainbows, lollipops and unicorns. It was a great, dark twist.

I'd love to see where the creators of this game take the story.
Posted By: mojokabobo Re: Ending........ - 02/06/10 05:30 PM
*cough* the ending blows *cough*
Posted By: Brutus635 Re: Ending........ - 04/06/10 08:19 PM
I Really! Really Don't get how that ending is possiable, one it contradicts what soul forges does but I can get pass that, But SHE WAS DEAD, and having her mind eaten away by memory eaters for the love of god. And on top of that she did what the most powerfull mage of all time couldnt do (The dragon mage incase your forgot)(can't remember how to spell the name), reach across differnt dimensions, to mind **** you into doing her bidding. I also love how she fools all the wisest people in the world (including a dragon I might add) into do her bidding for her as well. If they wanted a decent ending they should had atleast shown flames surounding you in that crystal, then show it cracking or you being attacked by damian and barely survived just to sneak off to restart the dragon knights in serect inorder to attack him later that would had been a great ending.
Posted By: Raze Re: Ending........ - 04/06/10 09:13 PM

This was apparently the first soul forge of a living person with a just executed soul. While it may have been reasonable to assume that resurrecting Ygerna would have killed Damian, I don't see how that would have had to have been the case.

Ygerna was dead, but still linked to the world of the living by the soul forge. Presumably that would have given protection from the memory eaters. She was stuck in one of her own memories, so that could have helped, as well.

We don't know what became of Maxos (yet) but he entered the hall of echoes alive. There is no reason to assume his search for power didn't lead him to other realms, or that he was trying to return to Rivellon. It is implied Maxos got into some kind of trouble, but we don't know when or what the situation is/was.

What makes you think Patriarch was fooled? He stopped short of mentioning what happened to Maxos, when he obviously could have given a warning. Maybe he figures what happened was necessary, so a warning would have only made things worse; maybe he just didn't want to interfere more than a bare minimum.

Welcome to the forum. wave
Posted By: Damar Stiehl Re: Ending........ - 07/06/10 02:14 PM
I think the ending was perfect, given that we have the xpac coming out in a couple months. It's a great change-up from the cliched setup: the good guy wins, the bad guy crawls off to lick his wounds and swears revenge. No, ED went the "Return of the Jedi" way: things are BAD, and you are profoundly SCREWED. Coming soon: "The Dragon returns, and he is royally pissed off".

I do hope that there is an explanation as to why Ygerna is so unbelievably AWESOME. I could swear that Damian looked positively embarrassed in the final cutscene. It must have been a blow to his fragile bald-headed ego: here he is, puffing his chest and being the big bad avatar of the Ultimate Evil... meanwhile, his girlfriend and erstwhile mentor single-handedly brings herself from the dead by ensnaring the most powerful living mages AND the last Dragon Knight. Hell, even Patriarch got caught in her web in a way. I wonder if she is something MUCH more than what we believe she is... Demon of Lies itself perhaps?
Posted By: KnightPT Re: Ending........ - 07/06/10 06:17 PM
The ending was quite sour BEFORE we knew there would be an expansion for sure. Now that the expansion is anounced and its soon to be here, the "endind" does look VERY NICE now laugh

Posted By: Joram Re: Ending........ - 08/06/10 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by Damar Stiehl
I think the ending was perfect, .....

Agree! wink

Originally Posted by Damar Stiehl
......I wonder if [Ygerna] she is something MUCH more than what we believe she is... Demon of Lies itself perhaps?

I find you came with a nice theory smile ....
The Divine couldn't kill that little child, the "Demon of Lies" (Janus) who summoned a Demon in the personality of a human!!
And "what" do we know about that "little child" after the ending of Divine Divinity?

Well, the Divine take that little child and named it "Damian".
Maybe the Demon of Lies was NOT totally killed? And so he, Janus, transformed into a human, Ygerna, ... like he could transform into a monstrous beast!
Maybe?

It was also Ygerna who awakened all the bad things in Damian. Damian, the summoned child by the Demon of Lies, a new-born Black Ring !!

If I'm wrong, so sorry ... it's just something in my mind ... biggrin
Posted By: virumor Re: Ending........ - 08/06/10 09:33 AM
Ygerna was just a very smart, devious girl... whose ass is going to get kicked by the Dragon Knight next. rpg001
Posted By: Twinkee Re: Ending........ - 08/06/10 05:59 PM
Assassin's Creed wasn't marketed as a two-parter/trilogy or whatever it becomes and I don't believe it was known to be this way prior to actually playing it. Yeah you did eventually beat the bad guy, but that was hardly the REAL focus of the story. By the time I finished the game I couldn't care less about Altair's enemies, just the overarching story of the templars/assassins.

I don't think AC gave a TBC message either, it just ended with mass assumption.
© Larian Studios forums