Larian Studios
Posted By: Raven.rpg The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 09/11/09 10:02 PM
MAGE GUIDE

NOTE:sorry for mistakes in grammar

INTRODUCTION:If you have a wish to play as a mage,this guide will help you.In my guide I will introduce you with true power of mage.

WARNING:SPOILERS(but nothing serious,things like battle tower and dragon form)

STAT POINTS:

Ok first of all
We are talking about classical mage without silly swords,clubs...
so no melee fight eek

-First 4 points in spirit
-Second 2 points in intelligence and 2 in spirit
-when your intelligence reach 15 you will stop puting points in intelligence
-All your points in spirit until you reach "54 spirit"
-From this moment each time you get new level you gonna put 3 points in intelligence and 1 point in vitality
-When you reach "50 intelligence" all points in vitality
-When you reach "30-40 vitality" do whatever you want(though I propose you to put points in vitality,intelligence and spirit)

High spirit will allow you unleashed your magic force

SKILLS:
MAGE:

-Magic Missile
Shoots a couple of missiles(Your main DPS skill)

-Fireball
A fireball which damages enemies around the target(not useful becaose of 15 seconds of cooldown)

-Mana Efficiency
Lower the amount of mana needed to use a spell(A MUST HAVE)

-Polymorph
Turns the enemy into a ladybird(Bah,I don"t find that useful,but 1 point if you want)

-Confusion
The target stands still for a couple of seconds(you points are better spent elsewhere)

-Magic Blast
A couple of quick attacks(Strong but 15 seconds of cooldown and it hits only one target,so NO)

-Mana Leech
A successful attack on an enemy turns a certain percentage of the damage into mana.(You will have plenty of mana)

-Destruction
Increases the damage of your magical attacks.(MAX IT)

-Firewall
Creates a wall of fire(BURN BABY BURN,MAX IT)

-Healing
A healing skill

-Way of the Battle Mage
Temporarily increases your magical damage(not useful)

PRIEST:

-Summon undead
Summons undead(SKIP)

-Summon Ghost
Summons ghost(SKIP)

-Fear
It causes the enemies to retreat for a while(SKIP)

-Hide In Shadows
It allows you to become invisible for a given period of time(SKIP)

-Charm
It lets you to charm an enemy so that he will fight on your side(MUST have on the begining)

-Summon Mastery
Increases the damage done by your summoned monsters(SKIP)

-Curse
Curses the enemies around you,lowering the damage they inflict and their defence(SKIP)

-Blind
You can blind an enemy(SKIP)

-Life Tap
Sacrifice a part of your health and gain mana(SKIP)

-Master Herbalist
Lowers the amount of components you need to prepare potions(MUST HAVE,oh my god,I just love that skill)

-Summon Demon
Summons a high level Demon(Why not)

-Way of the Wise Wizard
Temporarily increases your defence against magic(SKIP)

OTHER SKILLS:

Wisdom(on the begining)
Lockpick(MUST)
Mindread(If you want,put 4 points in it)

BEGINING-BATTLE TOWER

Ok
you will need to use few different spells till you get your battle tower

-Magic missiles-your main DPS spell
-Charm-your crowd control(XP penalty)
-Wisdom-becaose of charm XP penalty
-Lockpick-MUST
-Destruction-need only 1 point
-Firewall-1 point as soon as you unlocked it
-Mana Efficiency-MUST

This will get you to battle tower
Talk with your trainer,unskill your points and train few skills

BATTLE TOWER-END
from now
you will use:

-MAGIC MISSILES-main DPS spell(MAX IT)
-Mana Efficiency-MAX IT
-Destruction-MAX IT
-Firewall-at least to level 10
-Master herbalist-MAX IT
-Summon Demon-at least to level 10
-Lockpick-MAX IT(level 5 I think)

TACTIC:
Spam magic missiles and when warriors come close cast firewall

PROTECTION:
your main objective in Broken valley is to find full nightbringer armor
In Orobas Fords to find even stronger nightbringer armor
FIRST TIME YOU HIT LEVEL 26,27 OR 28 GO TO STONE FLYING FORTRESS AND FIND ARCHMAGE ARMOR

MUST FIND
Most important items will be "+1 to magic missiles item"
try to find at least one of them

You will need loot of money and skill points so here you some useful mindreads
I will include only names of persons that will give you skill points or stat points
Broken valley
-Quincy
-Toshan
-Christopher
-Tagos
-ZixZax
-Filip / Jenae
Sentinel island
-Island
-Sassan
Battle Tower
-Your servants

I hope I help
GOOD LUCK

NOTE:I am thinking to create battle mage guide

Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 11/11/09 01:55 PM
Finish game with my ultimate mage and I must admit that he was best character I have ever play
Posted By: taltamir Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 16/11/09 05:37 AM
I am finding the summon ghost spell to be awesome. it provides massive and long duration heals, and it also distracts some enemies.
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 21/11/09 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by taltamir
I am finding the summon ghost spell to be awesome. it provides massive and long duration heals, and it also distracts some enemies.

It dies very quickly
and demon is much better
Posted By: taltamir Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 22/11/09 12:22 AM
it does die rather quickly in the late game... early game it didn't. But around level 20-25 I respected and dropped it. Self heal is not nearly as good as its heal, but at least I can actually cast it instead of having it die on me and nobody to heal me.
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 22/11/09 10:34 AM
With my build,you really won"t need ghost but if you think you can afford skill points then take it
Posted By: Draci Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 23/11/09 01:38 AM
I'm going a totally different way, kinda pure mage too.

There is no such thing as ultimate mage build anyway, depends on your playstyle too.

Also you should reconsider the magic blast/fire ball thingie...

I for one decided from the beginning already I would not invest points in fire ball, seeing it is not mana efficient and not so strong, I went for magic blast right away. It actually is a better dps than magic missile, more efficient, but long cooldown (but that also counts for fire ball, which is not as strong/mana efficient).

I even consider it my main spell, and magic missile is just to fill the cooldown (especially when magic blast reaches lvl 4, at char lvl 15 :o 4*130 damage for 60ish mp, magic missile doesn't even come close).
Magic blast also gives a stun effect which always comes in handy.

Fire wall seems to be much better aoe than fire ball anyway, provided you can get close safely. Worked neat so far in combo with hide in shadows (lvl1, mana drainer though, 90mp for 10 secs).

But usually as mage I want to go one on one on strong opponents, so no need for aoe, xcept with opponents I don't want to get a hit from, can't dodge archer/some magic blasts.

I don't see the use of charm either, xcept for losing xp. There s always a way to distract one opponent from a group, so I can go one on one. Might play a bit slower, sure, but more xp.

I also always invest points 2 in int 1 in spirit/health, in begin even only in magic, and ofc some str/dex for gear. As pure dd mage one of my objectives is not to get hit. Most magic, and all melee is dodgeable by movement, archers are a pain and some magic blasts too, so I focused gear on that. Melee = dodge by movement, always. So, some basic health to keep me alive when I fail some dodging, or to survive archer dude(s) ^^
also, afaik spirit only ups mana... int increases your damage and magic resistance, and mana regeneration.
So, to me, the old int in D1 which was so useless is now spirit in DII.
Although it was only useless because using charms to increase mana was much more efficient.
Seeing charms so far in DII that prolly won't be the case, but ya, more damage done and better mp regen requires less mana anyway, seeing you also have mana efficiency skill and destruction, I don't see any reason to up my spirit like a madman.

Also other than prefering an equipment with wisdom increase on it (I'm using a +2 wis neck) to a slight stronger equipment I don't see the use in investing in wisdom. You'd need to reach lvl 50 compared to reaching lvl 45 to get back what you invest, with bonus of more stat points.

Imho skill >>> stat, especially for mage.

And for last, seeing I barely use potions, I'm not investing in master herbalist. The alchemist tree and plants allover the world are mooooore than enough ^^.

Naja, there are different ways of playing, and I think this balancing I'm doing fits my playstyle pretty good.
Ohyeah, in the begin, use bow. Unless you have patience n wait for mana, or use potions :o. But in the begin spells are low, and bows are kinda strong ^^.

Now at lvl 15 I haven't used my bow in ages. Just my two one-handed weaps (best for magic damage afaik, although I'm still a bit confused how this works, because I don't see much difference in skill damage, maybe it is just magical melee damage? :(), to finish them off if I feel like it :), especially melees, wait till they are close, jump, n slash = dead, saves some mana smile.

Naja, only lvl 15 and not dragon yet here :o. Always happy to get more insight in spirit/int and weapon magic damage.
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 23/11/09 01:23 PM
Its your playstyle
but I still think that magic blast is crap for pure mage(15 seconds of cooldown and only one target)
for 15 seconds I will do 5x more damage with magic missiles
you know 1 second of cooldown is more useful than 15 seconds

but If you are willing to fight 1 enemy every 15 seconds.....you style hehe.....
I am hardcore player who can stand against whole army
and why to bother to max magic blast if you still use magic missiles to fill time

Posted By: guenthar Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 24/11/09 07:13 AM
I like my mage build a lot so far since I don't need as much mp and can kill everything I come across (even several levels higher) very quickly. I have fireball and magic blast as my main spells and use a bow instead of magic missle but I don't take bow skills but focus on magic. I usually start out a battle by using magic blast and fireball to thin the ranks and finish up with my bow. I don't usually need to use any more spells after the initial spells since my bow does almost 3 times the damage magic blast does in the time between spells. At my current level my magic blast does 600 damage, my fireball does 300 damage to each enemy, and my bow does 100 damage. During the time I am waiting for my spells to cooldown I can do about 1500 damage with my bow. I just got my Battle Tower and reset my skills to get rid of some wasted points and put them into magic blast and fireball and haven't tested them yet so I probably will only do about double the damage with my bow now.

The reason why I use the spells at all is because I can pretty much kill any creature with magic blast and fireball will kill a group of creatures and they still do way more damage then one shot from my bow.
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 24/11/09 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by guenthar
I like my mage build a lot so far since I don't need as much mp and can kill everything I come across (even several levels higher) very quickly. I have fireball and magic blast as my main spells and use a bow instead of magic missle but I don't take bow skills but focus on magic. I usually start out a battle by using magic blast and fireball to thin the ranks and finish up with my bow. I don't usually need to use any more spells after the initial spells since my bow does almost 3 times the damage magic blast does in the time between spells. At my current level my magic blast does 600 damage, my fireball does 300 damage to each enemy, and my bow does 100 damage. During the time I am waiting for my spells to cooldown I can do about 1500 damage with my bow. I just got my Battle Tower and reset my skills to get rid of some wasted points and put them into magic blast and fireball and haven't tested them yet so I probably will only do about double the damage with my bow now.

The reason why I use the spells at all is because I can pretty much kill any creature with magic blast and fireball will kill a group of creatures and they still do way more damage then one shot from my bow.

Nice style
but I see you are battle mage not mage
but still
good build
and good luck
I hope you will try my build one day
Posted By: nathrakh Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 24/11/09 06:58 PM
Im playing without magic missles aswell. I started this weekend using ur guide but found myself using a lot of potions and healing spell. And i didnt really get to spam magic missles on big packs and i had to hit and run, i found fireball a lot better for hit and run. So i started the game all over and lvled differently. Im lvl 24 now. with 66 spirit and 61 int and only got like 12 vit( including gear)

fireball,
magic blast,
magic efficiency,
destruction,
firewall
and way of the battlemage.

With magic blast i 1 shot single mobs. And with fireball i bring packs of mobs down to 10-20% hp, where my creature with magic blast, and magic missles finishes them off.

Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 24/11/09 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by nathrakh
Im playing without magic missles aswell. I started this weekend using ur guide but found myself using a lot of potions and healing spell. And i didnt really get to spam magic missles on big packs and i had to hit and run, i found fireball a lot better for hit and run. So i started the game all over and lvled differently. Im lvl 24 now. with 66 spirit and 61 int and only got like 12 vit( including gear)

fireball,
magic blast,
magic efficiency,
destruction,
firewall
and way of the battlemage.

With magic blast i 1 shot single mobs. And with fireball i bring packs of mobs down to 10-20% hp, where my creature with magic blast, and magic missles finishes them off.

Strange
I didn"t have any problem
Every begining is hard
but spamming MM is still powerful
and why did you take healing spell
you could just take master herbalist and have 500+ healing potion so you don"t need to "hit and run"
and did you take charm
very powerful spell at the begining
You can turn most stronger enemy to be your ally so everybody is paying attention to him not you while you spamm MM
Posted By: nathrakh Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 24/11/09 08:28 PM
I didnt take charm while lvling. And i found the healing skill really nice. I have never been a big fan of using consumables i like being totally dependant on myself only. And since im a bit of a powerplayer in games aswell. I did not want to waste 5 points on herbalism either and rather spended them on dmg moves. I also did not like using charm since the charmed mobs give less xp after the charm wears out and i kill them.
Posted By: Joram Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 01/12/09 12:32 PM
@Raven.rpg and other Mages wink

nice guide(s)! I should try in future your guide and see what MY preferences are, because I think every guide is personal, bBUT, also full of experience-time and that's very good to learn from!! I always will learn from other players with my mind open and not afraid to spend a lot of time in training and try a few things out (skills and so on) in the game and than make decisions how I will play futher. wink

Personally I prefer more variation. So I combine Mage-spells (Magic Missle, nice) and also Ranger skills and some warriorskills. I know too: most of the time, I have read on fora etc, it's better to "specialize" in specific skills ... but maybe I can make a nice combination of skills from mage, ranger and others ...
But I love Magespells al well smile ! But also love play with a weapon like a sword ...

Success I wish for all Mages & players of Divinity II : Ego Draconis!

GReetings,
Michael

Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 01/12/09 12:42 PM
Thanks Joram
About melee weapons Archmage hammer is your choice if you are mage
and about other skill....well if you have enough skill points to spend take Evade,regeneration...
Posted By: SaveMeJeebus Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 11/12/09 06:23 PM
Thanks for this guide I used to for myself and made a few changes.
Posted By: ggm261 Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 25/12/09 07:08 PM
I used this guide , and damn ,the mage is so powerful , thanks to Raven

One question to Raven : why don't you put more points in Intelligent after reaching 50 ???
Posted By: Laiv Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 26/12/09 10:40 PM
level 31 mage

spirit 60+
intelligence 90+

Mages are the most powerful characters and clear out the dungeons most efficiently. At first you can invest points in whatever floats your boat, after Battle Tower, pay to reassign points, keep all points in either magic missile, firewall, destruction and healing.

U get about 40+ skillpoints in total in the game (plus skillpoints from mindreading), needless to say if a skill max is 10, this means u can max out only 4 skills. I say u have 40+ skillpoints because u absolutely have to invest in lockpick - thats 5-10 points gone.

U get magic blast trinkets that give the odd point. So don't assign all ten points here, eight will do eventually. Very effective spell to use at range, as effective as anything by a ranger and then some.

Firewall obvious.

Healing. Incredible, esp when u r dragon and low on health, change shape drop to the ground, use healing spell and immediately go back into action as a dragon (dragons dont attack men in men form lol). Makes the whole dragon flying mission thing as easy as possible.

Still don't let high level enemies overwhelm u with sheer numbers. But usually a mage can handle guys and bosses 10 levels higher than himself.

Destruction - go for it, or don't - this is where u get to choose. I would recommend it.

U get mindreading trinkets, and shadowhiding and wisdom and polymorph.

Polymorph is extremely useful against dragons - they turn into a harmless butterfly. Same goes for bosses. A must-have for one point at least.

Shadowhiding is crucial. Just become invisible and run away or wait for mana to recover or spell to cooldown. A point is enough really.

Don't bother with wisdom and mindreading cos mindreading is rare and costs reasonable; by the end of the game u r going to be level 35 comfortably, anything else is just not needed and spoils the game when u face guys who are supposed to be last bosses but they can't hurt you - like at all!

Playing as mage - u take out as many as possible with ranged magic blast and hit any who come close with firewall, then heal.

Downside is that you get no decent armor until the Archamage set. But you will never need it really, and melee is not beyond u due to ur intelligence (the stat).

As a mage, u can't use decent armor and weapons because ur a wimp, but who cares - i sell everything i find - potions, gems, charms, armor and weapons because as a mage I didn't deed them. But u can if u want use potions - instead of investing in healing. Ur choice. But it won't be as efficient. U can invest in charms and enchanting to get 'free' bonuses for you junk, but as a mage u never really need weapons, nor can u use them if u haven't invested in strength up to 35. U will be stuck using two one handed weapons, either axes, swords or hammers. These are quite decent. U need no strenght for Archmage armor, but if u can cleverly get strength from trinkets and armor u can wield these dual wield weapons (some of them). If u like enchanting, save ALL the gems and the herbs (that's right all the grass) and prepare to have like 40k of gold to spend on runners in Battle Tower to equip them with the best armor and weapons. In Broken Valley there is that enchanter in the north-west corner of central western bit look it up on gamepressure guides. Enchanting and charming is good - but u'll never get to use the weapons as mage really, only armor. Additional armor protection is nice for a mage. Creatures (I'm not sure) consume experience. So I don't use them. Feel free to use them, they would be very helpful when u r in danger of being overwhelmed. Creatures are better than summoning, never summon, because u need all the skillpoints u can get.

I sold everything I found, all the junk, to get like 60k after Broken Valley, and loads more after. Don't really have anything to do with the money, so always choose experience instead of money. If u do the side quests and explore the whole map the game will be easier and more interesting.

Playing as a mage is easygoing and quick.

Don't worry about vitality and hitpoints, u get armor for that and trinkets. With Archamage armor, without any vitality investments (except via quests) I got 320+ hitpoints and about 700 mana.

All the best

Posted By: Evasion Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 27/12/09 12:19 AM
Your way is also way more hardcore then using potions to heal:)
Posted By: Evasion Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 27/12/09 12:22 AM
Mages are nice yes but is it about been most powerfull or havving fun?

In away your saying you want a character with i win button defeat enemeys in one blow wow im powerfull hehe.

If thats fun for you goahead i have np with that but dont make it sound like its only way to play hehe.

Its all about fun:)
Posted By: ACSS Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 27/12/09 06:54 AM
Just some of my opinions on what mentioned on stats and mage equipment, even I never play one. My 1st run of the game was on a dual wield warrior, and at lvl35 when fully equipment, I manage to get 90+ str and int and 60 dex. So I dont actually think playing a mage will limit one to just using the certain set armor, and honestly, archmage set is kinda junk. I had 800 hp and close to 490+mp at lvl35 as warrior. Good trinkets with minimum 2 to 3 charm slots help a lot in raising up stats, hp and mp.

And basically healing spell is something worthless when you compare it to a rank 10 potion, which you can create it easily with only 1 fanny blossom (or is another herb but definitely it only need 1 unit of 1 herb), provided you had your alchemy garden fully upgraded and lvl5 in master herbalist skill. You can collect ingredients easily and fast when you fully upgrade your runners and create tons of potions for usage, then reset your skills and unlearn master herbalist. Invest 2 to 3 points in potions efficiency and you see your hp/mp flies whenever using potions. No more such as waiting for hp/mp regen. A rank 8 and 9 potions also will suffice, as it wont have cool down duration as compare healing.

Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 30/12/09 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by ACSS

And basically healing spell is something worthless when you compare it to a rank 10 potion, which you can create it easily with only 1 fanny blossom (or is another herb but definitely it only need 1 unit of 1 herb), provided you had your alchemy garden fully upgraded and lvl5 in master herbalist skill. You can collect ingredients easily and fast when you fully upgrade your runners and create tons of potions for usage, then reset your skills and unlearn master herbalist. Invest 2 to 3 points in potions efficiency and you see your hp/mp flies whenever using potions. No more such as waiting for hp/mp regen. A rank 8 and 9 potions also will suffice, as it wont have cool down duration as compare healing.

I told you

Originally Posted by ggm261

One question to Raven : why don't you put more points in Intelligent after reaching 50 ???

Didn"t bother it to upgrade
It was enough for me but if you think more intelligence is better option than put more points in intelligence.My guide is there just to help you and explain few things and surely not to manipulate your style.

Posted By: ACSS Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 31/12/09 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by Raven.rpg

I told you

It was enough for me but if you think more intelligence is better option than put more points in intelligence.My guide is there just to help you and explain few things and surely not to manipulate your style.

I think I just giving opinions on a more effective healing method as compare to healing spell, which I think can be easily done, since doing trainer's quests are quite common for its reward and exp,and to get the platform upgraded as well. And playing around with skill points is easy enough through skill trainer and the cost is still acceptable. I actually tried out both and find that potions is more efficient when compare to healing spell which had the cd time, especially when one having large amount of hp/mp. Anyway I not criticizing your guide, just merely giving opinions on what I experienced.
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 31/12/09 09:01 AM

I told you

I think I just giving opinions on a more effective healing method as compare to healing spell, which I think can be easily done, since doing trainer's quests are quite common for its reward and exp,and to get the platform upgraded as well. And playing around with skill points is easy enough through skill trainer and the cost is still acceptable. I actually tried out both and find that potions is more efficient when compare to healing spell which had the cd time, especially when one having large amount of hp/mp. Anyway I not criticizing your guide, just merely giving opinions on what I experienced.

You didn"t understand me
I am really happy becaose you agreed with me that potions are better option

Posted By: Sirus Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 02/01/10 02:28 AM
Thanks for the guide.

Couple of suggestions:

- What skills did you choose as you leveled up? [make a list of the skills you chose as your levels increased - level 2 you chose lockpick, level 3 you chose fireball, etc]
- What weapon types to look for if it matters [does the magic attribute of a weapon do anything to increase spell damage or is it specifically melee magic damage]?
- List of armor types to be on the look for - ranged/magic resistance? - until you find the specific armor set.
- List of jewelry attributes to look for
Posted By: JoJoMac Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 02/01/10 03:26 AM
Whenever you make one of these, you will always find these arguments over the best one. I think magic missile is pretty bad you hit really low with it.
Posted By: ACSS Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 02/01/10 06:54 AM
Originally Posted by Sirus
Thanks for the guide.

Couple of suggestions:

- What skills did you choose as you leveled up? [make a list of the skills you chose as your levels increased - level 2 you chose lockpick, level 3 you chose fireball, etc]
- What weapon types to look for if it matters [does the magic attribute of a weapon do anything to increase spell damage or is it specifically melee magic damage]?
- List of armor types to be on the look for - ranged/magic resistance? - until you find the specific armor set.

Actually I dont think you need guide to tell you what skills to get at what level, that will really make it boring in my opinion. Since there are only a handful of magic damage skills, so I guess you should know what to choose. Supporting skill will really depends on personal preference, but you can always try them out, and reskill later if you dont like that particular skill, since it can be done easily.

In the early to mid game, you equipment might be more limited, as limited by your int stat, since it will be usually higher compare to the other 2, str and dex. But when you are able to gain access to legendary weapon, armor and accessories merchant in fjord and aleroth, stats wont be much problem by that time. I can build warrior which capable to reach 90+ str and int, 60 dex during end game with help of various charms, so I dont think it will be a problem if you really go picky on your jewelry selection. So from my opinion, there actually no limitation on equipments for any build, its matter how you choose your equipments only. And do remember max for each stats is 100. Majority will finish the game around lvl34 to 35. Each level up you gain 4 stats points. Beside that you gain some points also from activities such as mind read or books.
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 02/01/10 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Sirus
Thanks for the guide.

Couple of suggestions:

That is not quite important
but I think I have mention somewhere in my guide what to look for
Posted By: SoulSlayer Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 20/01/10 09:00 PM
I myself prefer a warrior /mage thing base dmg with my duel weild and then use magic toback me up with healing and rangers and the like and then i mop up with a bow which i find is a better alternative to the missle thing XD
Posted By: MonkeyLungs Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 20/01/10 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by JoJoMac
Whenever you make one of these, you will always find these arguments over the best one. I think magic missile is pretty bad you hit really low with it.

Max magic missle, with max Destruction and max Way of the Battle Mage hits really hard. And often. And hits multiple opponents if they be multiple or bombards one if there is only one. I found it to be the best offensive damage spell.
Posted By: ACSS Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 20/01/10 09:39 PM
It should be the best dps skill, since it has extremely low cd. Others mage skills tends to have quite high cd duration.
Posted By: pattywackk Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 20/01/10 10:40 PM
magic blast is the best move ever
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 23/01/10 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by MonkeyLungs
Originally Posted by JoJoMac

Max magic missle, with max Destruction and max Way of the Battle Mage hits really hard. And often. And hits multiple opponents if they be multiple or bombards one if there is only one. I found it to be the best offensive damage spell.

If you have points add confusion and you are already win
and as I sad this guide is for pure mages and not for battlemages
Posted By: Uzeer Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 23/01/10 09:20 PM
Nice guides, I am going to play mage as next char. After dual wielding figher, I am now playing as archer. But.. when you guys gives your guides put also how many points in what STATS and which SKILL.
Raven did so and it makes whole guide more usefull.
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 23/01/10 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by Uzeer
Nice guides, I am going to play mage as next char. After dual wielding figher, I am now playing as archer. But.. when you guys gives your guides put also how many points in what STATS and which SKILL.
Raven did so and it makes whole guide more usefull.

Thanks
you will enjoy
Posted By: Divinity 2 ED Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 06/02/10 05:25 AM
Which Mage Spell Did You Start Off With Cause I Started Off With Fireball
What Does DPS Stand For
Posted By: Raze Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 06/02/10 06:30 AM

DPS = damage per second

FYI: Acronym Finder
Posted By: Divinity 2 ED Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 06/02/10 09:31 AM
Are You Supposed To Start Off Wih The Fire Balll Skill Or The Magic Missille SKill
Also Do You Go to the trainer sitting at the table near the Archer Trainer For This Guide Or is there a preist trainer somewhere
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 06/02/10 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Divinity 2 ED
Are You Supposed To Start Off Wih The Fire Balll Skill Or The Magic Missille SKill
Also Do You Go to the trainer sitting at the table near the Archer Trainer For This Guide Or is there a preist trainer somewhere

You supposed to start with fireball but you take that skill book at the begining and invest point in magic missile
Just remember
At the begining fireball is piece of crap
Later on It will become useful skill as a mage who don"t use weapon magic missile is god-skill
Just remember
farm some placeses so you can find + magic misile items
Try to find belt,earrings,rings...
I have completed game with magic missile without problmes(Exept for the begining)
Mix that with firewall and you are set

Posted By: Divinity 2 ED Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 06/02/10 11:20 AM
What Skill Book?
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 06/02/10 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Divinity 2 ED
What Skill Book?

In traning area
Where you kill 3 or 4 goblins
In the rock next to tree
Where do you find full nightbringer armor? Is it in specific places or is it randomly dropped?
Any help is appericiated Thanks!
Posted By: Dragonbane Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 22/02/10 11:08 PM
Just Random unfortunately... frown

You can get a full mage set in Stones Fortress though! groovy
Where does nightbriger armor drop from? Goblins, Skelitons?...or is that random as well?
Oh and btw to Raven.rpg...this guide is really helpfull and its working so far, perfectly too if I might add. I cant wait till im a high level so I can see the true power of this biuld.

Thanks for the awsome guide!

Also another question lol....where do you get armor for a mage? When ever I see a shop they only seem to sell worrior stuff, but then agian im only level 6 lol...
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 23/02/10 10:11 AM
This is why I hate D2
No robes

I find nightbringer armor in Bandit camp
full set to buy

Also i sugest to farm for equipment
You see chest....
save-open-load....rinse and repeat

There is noghtbringer armor in briken valley in tunnel where you get amulet of east and west
but I think they require level 11 or 8

That is good armor for mages at the begining(and that is hard as hell)
heavy nightbringer is available in orobas fords
I buy complete set from merchants
Again
save-check if they got anything for you-if no-load

best armor is archmage armor
Look too good

Also do you have +magic missile items
do not get out of Broken valley without 2 or at least 1

you want ultimate mage
you have one

Wat about you stats and spells?

I guess I will keep an eye out for nightbringer...thanks for the advice.
At the moment....I have no + magic missil items...just started, but I will make sure I find 2 before I leave broken vally. As for my stats and my spells, im folling the exact same build you have...just to get a feel for the game without being killed 100+ times and so far its working great =). I dont have the game on right now so I dont know where exactlly I've invested my points...sorry.
For the +magic missil items, does only weapons and armor have that effect? Or can rings amys etc. have +magic missil in them too? Other than that I have not been able to find any item with that affect and I'm about to leave broken vally...so any help is appriciated...
yea...ignore my last post I finnaly found a +magic missil item...how many should I have found by the end of the game?
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 26/02/10 04:52 PM
I had two at the end of game
and that was overpowered

Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 11/06/10 12:44 PM
Good chance to add this
Was playing again and of course I have find something new called more skill books so I have taken fireball

So here is my conclusion
After 6 playtroughts with ultimate mage I have find out that my build is powerful to finish game
I have also understand that at the end I always end up with many unused skill ponts
If you have them
put them to fireball
It won"t hurt to have more firepower

NOTE:Use fireball after battletower
early is uselees and you need your points for better skills
Posted By: UnknownGod Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 11/06/10 01:43 PM
I just got this game yesterday,i will deff try this Raven ty.i have a request from you or anyone else who wants to tho, can you post ultamate ranger stat guide plse that the class i usually always play with in rpg games ty.
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 11/06/10 02:00 PM
I am not really into ranger and I have completed game too many times
but I think I can create ranger guide with help from people here

till we finish guide I sugest you to start with some build and see how game works
Posted By: Damar Stiehl Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 11/06/10 05:08 PM
Ultimate Mage without Magic Blast? Weird.

Sure, Magic Missiles are fun, but Magic Blast is "You there. Die." attack. One shot, one kill: take out the annoying healer, summoner, boss, etc..

Only one point in Destruction? That is silly. Five points get you 50% damage boost. No need for +skill items, you hit like a truck and kill people dead.

Fireball is... all right... but you're much better off with Fire Wall, because sooner or later someone will get close to you...
Posted By: UnknownGod Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 11/06/10 05:52 PM
ok ty id really appreciate it:),i keep getting to lvl 7-10 and startin over cause i dont like the character haha.but im trying your mage strategy this time and it seems to be working pretty well so far.
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 11/06/10 06:07 PM
Damar@
magic blast is crap
if you like it USE IT

Magic missiles are god like power
I think I mention that it would be great idea to max destruction

smile
Posted By: UnknownGod Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 11/06/10 06:24 PM
hey started on the ultamate mage.
lvl 5,vit2,spirit11,str 2,dex 1,int 10
indomitable will at 10%
1point in missil,1 in fireball,2 in lockpick
where should i go from here?
anything u woulda done diff?
Posted By: Damar Stiehl Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 11/06/10 08:35 PM
Damar@
magic blast is crap

*boggle*

5K+ damage on a single cast is crap?

You got real high standards there, comrade smile

(Or you just don't know what you're talking about ;)).
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 11/06/10 11:09 PM
I know that my mm can do 10x more dmg for 15 seconds smile

belive me I know what I am talking
In every game I use mage and I am more than experienced with mage

oh by the way if you like some skill use it
I just sugest

Unknow god@
you gotta create your story
go wherever you want but remember to save

also if you are interested read whole guide with comments
just don"t forget to find thread here about skill books and useful mindreads

Did you get book from first village(traning village)

First time you get a chance take charm
it have a xp penalty but if you search map for every enemy(don"t leave anyone alive and take XP as a rewards exept of there is really good item)

imagine big nasty soldier runnig at you with his big sword.charm him and he will attack friends
they will attack him while you spam them all with magic missiles

beggining is hard(I stil finish on hard without problems) caose of your mana but with good micro and alot of saving you will be fine

Posted By: UnknownGod Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 11/06/10 11:39 PM
wow...im currently experiencing a wierd bug i think...if i overwrite a previous save i end up at the place where that first save was....lik my lvl 3 ranger the last save i had was the place u start at at beginning of game,well i was lvl three overwrited that save and wound up at that plcace...with nowhere to go being that the ship left there lmao....gay,does it with my lvl 5 mage too but i wind up back in a diff spot i saved at before....??
Posted By: Raze Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 12/06/10 01:35 AM

There is a patch that fixes that problem (in the US Xbox release). If you exit back to the dashboard and start the game again, loading the save will put the character in the correct location; always creating new save will avoid it.
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 12/06/10 10:35 AM
Never overwrite
always create another save game

Xbox360 or PC

dunno about Xbox but on PC I had more savegames than I could count

Posted By: Raze Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 12/06/10 12:03 PM

The Xbox is limited to 20 saves, though with the latest firmware update at least lets you backup the saves to a USB key (haven't tried this yet). That came too late to help with my first character, where I had to keep deleting older saves as I went (contrary to my usual practice for adventure or RPG games).
Posted By: UnknownGod Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 12/06/10 05:10 PM
haha ok ty i started all over again...but hey this time i know what not to do:)
Posted By: UnknownGod Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 13/06/10 01:56 PM
WOW! raven ur mage build ownz! at lvl 5-6 i took down that troll with ease,took about 3 hits,of course that was after i charmed it and had it demolish a gobby camp laugh lol. but yeah i went all the way through that tunnel and got east and west talisman,and that ring from that guy at lvl 7 then i lvled from killing a couple mobs,and then got allll the way to the top of loviss tower,where u bater with that skeleton,but then made the mistake of looking closely into lord lovisis sphere thing haha,i died then but that was cause i got jumped by him and his minions lol plus i was just lvl 8!
ur build really rocks,i was gana stuck to pure mage but i found some really good weapon drops so im using this for now incase mobs get close since i dont have firewall yet,i magic melle for around 20 dmg,and with charm 1/missil 2/mana reservation 2/and that spell where u do 20 damge three times 1 lockpick 2,lol im kickin tail!! plus my guy is even stronger since i have been lucky and have like 4 rare drop gear on me haha:) ty
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 13/06/10 06:17 PM
I told you
Read part about "ULTIMATE" smile
and charm spell own

just be sure to explore,do every quest and kill everyone caose of xp penality
I hope you don"t spent points on strength
It will weaken you

raher put points in spirit and jump away when they are close
and please tell me when you get your battle tower or you have trouble killing anyone
and also post you build
Posted By: miej Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 21/06/10 06:28 PM
Hello,

I've just created this account to share few thoughts about my personal mage build.
First off, let me state that I didn't finish the game yet - I'm finishing now side quests at Orobas Fjords.

My build for the moment:
80% points in intelligence
15% into vitality
5% into spirit

why?

You don't need high mana pool. I have like 350 mana at 26lvl and it's more than enough. Yes, you'll be burning many pots but with Battle Tower making or buying them is not the problem. You can say, it'd be difficult at the beginning - money problems - but I had none. Didn't make a lot of money, but it'd be enough to buy few upgrades right away when you finally got your precious Tower.

I focused on intelligence, I wanted my dps to be the highest possible - but with enough survivability - that's why I put some points into vitality.

Skills (at the moment):
Magic missile: 9 (my main skill)
Fire ball: 5
Fire wall: 2
Lockpick: 5
Healing: 5
Destruction: 4
Mana Effeciency: 4
Summon Demon: 4
Way of the Battle Mage: 1
Mind reading: 1
Magic Blast: 1

My thoughts:

Either Fire Wall is OP or it has a glitch: cast it not on the mobs, but try luring them into the circle - they'll die instantly. It works the same if you try luring them out, but it's more safe to do otherwise. Pretty much I use Fireball as an opening, followed with Magic Missile spam. Demon works great as a tank. I do use healing - and sometime both healing and potions. Pretty much later in the game it's really hard to do something that would make the game hard as a mage.

I have yet to respec, dunno how yet, because I'm thinking about putting few points into dexternity and getting low-req, high magic damage bow, because it might be really fun to play.
Posted By: Raze Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 21/06/10 07:39 PM

The battle tower trainer can let you unlearn your skills and re-assign the skill points (for a price, which doubles each time you do it). There is no way to re-assign your stat points, however. You will need to use a few charms to get your dexterity up, find some stat books / mindreads, or wait until you go up a couple levels and have enough stat points to invest (not sure what the dexterity requirements are for a magical bow; a balanced bow I checked near the end of the game had a 14 requirement for dexterity and intelligence, while a normal bow had a 29 dexterity requirement).

Skill Books/Stat Books/Dragon Skill Books Complete (spoilers)

Welcome to the forum. wave
Posted By: Raven.rpg Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 22/08/10 04:06 PM
Mjej I just saw your build
Its pretty good
I had around 1000 mana,few hundreds potions and 80 000 gold when I was 26 level on hard

About DPS thing
well I always thought its better if you can cast 500 spells before you end up without mana.
About Dps thing inteligence doesnt make superior DPS
I am sure I can make more DPS with 1000 mana than you with 300 smile

Lol just notice
my guide have 11000+ wiews
Thats something laugh
Posted By: Vardock Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 03/02/11 04:16 PM
Raven, where can i find the Nightbringer Set?
Posted By: DivineMAGE Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 04/02/11 02:39 PM
I agree with raven but I prefer putting more into vitality earlier--after I have 50 spirit and 30 int
Posted By: CrazyDiamond Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 14/02/11 01:27 PM
well you certainly convinced me into puttin some skill points into charm and i must say i was very surprised by the efficiency of it . ive pretty much cleared whole broken valley by just getting in the middle of a fight , using charm and firewall right afterwards .

I did however not invest that much into mana efficiency (some epic amulet is providing me with +2) , nor into potion efficiency and master herbalist (another amulet with +2). ITs more of a question ; why would u put so much into mana efficiency and mana ammount, once you get 0.1+ mana rege equipment parts theres rly no need adding to it ? i never managed to burn out my mana in fights and i have it around 680 and also why using the points in INT isnt better ? i thought int points adds to your magic damage, why wouldnt i want that- its not like im going into a 15 minutes fight and will need 1000 mana ?

after the battle tower i could not resist to level dual wielding up to 7 which made me not so ultimate mage smile
Charm skill points were replaced by the way of an battle mage , which is also imho very nice boost up on your magic damage but i didnt upgrade it up to 5/5 due to some passive skills.
NOt too happy about it but for my last skill i choose fireball (like some1 said ; was using it for the openning smile ).

i added points in confusion (which i find quite usefull esp if your spamming magic missiles every second) and 1 point to rush so once the confusion kicked in i quickly rushed into the middle, used firewall (hopefully added to confusion aswell) and quickly leeched some extra mana and life before they started fighting again / died .

Because i was always rushing into the middle of a fight i also added some points into reflex and evade, but only bc i couldnt make up my mind which one is better .

Combination pretty much worked for me everytime, even if facing higher lvl mobs altho the were a bit tougher to confuse .
Posted By: okers12 Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 28/06/11 06:42 PM
I must say this build atually kinda screwed me over. I put so many points into spirit instead of int that now my magic does sh!t dmg D: any tips? What's the point of having such a large mana pool when it rarely even runs out and you have mp pots anyways?
Posted By: Raze Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 28/06/11 07:13 PM

The stat bonus to damage is nice, but not a dominant factor (in DKS playing a ranger on nightmare I stopped distributing stat points on level 15, and have so far made it to the end of the D2:ED section of the game, level 37).

What level are you? Are you playing D2:ED or DKS?

There are some suggestions in your other topic. If Raven.rpg's build doesn't suit your playstype (there were changes in DKS that have a significant impact on mage characters, for example), there are other examples in this topic or the DKS forums that could give you an idea of how to modify your character as you level.
Posted By: hooley boy Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 05/04/12 05:33 PM
To be honest i prefer to mix and match in one game i had poison arrows, firewall, summon demon, rush attack and explosive arrows as my main skills but i put skill points on mana efficiency and summon mastery as i summoned my demon all the time.
Posted By: Joram Re: The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide - 05/04/12 07:54 PM
O yes, that the most strong part of a Divnity game: the OPEN SKILL TREE !! Hope Larian never change this in a future rpg's .

I love it to use skills as 'strategic steps' in battles and above all: this is also very enjoyable and give many fun too smile

Not to forget some (no, many!) 'combinations of skills' you can use one after the other, for example:
* Stun Arrows or Poison Arrows >> Rush Attack >> Firewall :hihi:
Or
* Hide in Shadows >> Charm or Blind a victime by suprise biggrin
* Hide in Shadows > Healing and you stay invisible, the same for summoning your Creature ! (but summoning you rDemon, Ghost or Undead while Hide in Shadows is in action, you become back visible !
* Battle Rage > Rush Attack >> Thousand Strikes ! Attack ! rpg001
© Larian Studios forums