Larian Studios
Posted By: Matt624 Better Way to Handle Reactions - 21/08/22 12:33 PM
Hi,

I have a suggestion for improving how BG3 handles reactions, and also stored actions like Bardic Inspiration Die. There's an issue right now where players lack control over when a reaction is used. For example, if a player toggles on the attack of opportunity reaction and multiple enemies trigger it, only the first one will actually be attacked since it will use up the reaction. A player may instead wish to target a specific enemy they know is likely to trigger the reaction, and right now they can't do this. I think a better and more engaging way to structure reactions would be to have a pop up whenever a reaction could occur containing an Icon, the name of the reaction, and a countdown (or maybe a bar like they used in Witcher 3 dialogue if there are any Witcher fans out there). Players would then have to press a button to trigger the reaction, maybe something simple like a right mouse click, and if they don't then nothing happens. Another button could also be set (maybe a left mouse click following the previous example) which would dismiss the pop up if the player doesn't want to wait for the timer. This way taking a reaction actually requires a reaction on the part of the player, and the time limit ensures it doesn't slow down gameplay too much. The timer for the countdown could be configurable in settings for players who want things to move faster or slower, but either way this would solve the problems I listed before. The same system could be used for things like Bardic Inspiration Die, giving players more flexibility and control over how they are used.

Just some food for thought. Love the game, keep up the great work!
Posted By: Lotus Noctus Re: Better Way to Handle Reactions - 11/10/22 08:22 PM
Sorry for the late answer. I thought the community managers / forum mod would guide you but they didn't.

This subforums are a better adress for your suggestion:

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=749449#Post749449

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=87&page=1
Posted By: Nicou Re: Better Way to Handle Reactions - 13/10/22 11:53 AM
Cheers Lotus Noctus smile
Posted By: The Composer Re: Better Way to Handle Reactions - 13/10/22 01:50 PM
Moved to the correct sub-forum, thanks smile
Posted By: MelivySilverRoot Re: Better Way to Handle Reactions - 13/10/22 02:16 PM
I have to admit, when people suggested a popup to manage reactions (in the thread mentioned by Lotus Noctus), I wasn't a fan. I've got some allergic reactions to them (they feel like intrusive spam).

However, the idea grew on me

Especially after doing more research and seeing how important reactions are, in terms of mechanics, across the different classes and feats.

I really like the suggestion to have a configurable countdown timer.

I would also allow the option to disable the timer (maybe not in multiplayer though).
Not only for anxious people like me but real life is a thing and sh*t happens where I might need to go afk (food deliveries and people will always be a priorities).
One reason why I actually love base-turn combats (or games that have an actual pause menu that stops time).

Also, I'm answering here because the other thread feels to convoluted to me 😅
© Larian Studios forums