Larian Studios
Posted By: Monkeyman Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 17/11/10 10:39 PM
I mean books, dialogues, notes and all other stuff.

I honestly skipped 90% of all, because voice-overs are awful and storyline is boring as hell and full of cliches. I followed the storyline of Dragon Age and all it's DLCs tho, since it was much better written and voiced.

So what about the rest of you?
I read every book I find speak to everyone I can & I love the story & the gameplay.

I don't understand why you'd bother to join the forums if you did'nt like the game unless your a closet addict in which case your forgiven lol
Posted By: Amnariel Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 17/11/10 11:10 PM
I Read everything(and translate)
I Mindread everything
I Listen Everything
I Talk to Everyone

And the Storyline is very very good maked.
Voices are very good also

Buy a better Pc with a Better Sound Card.And stop complaining please
Posted By: melianos Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 18/11/10 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by Amnariel
I Read everything(and translate)
I Mindread everything
I Listen Everything
I Talk to Everyone

And the Storyline is very very good maked.
Voices are very good also

Same here. And I enjoyed every second.
Posted By: Polantaris Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 18/11/10 07:07 AM
The only thing I don't do is read the books. There's way too many. I open them to make sure they don't do anything, and skim it, but I don't read the entire thing.
Posted By: kaltorak Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 18/11/10 07:20 AM
I just read a few books. The story though is great, and the game better than DAO.
I read as much as I can and sometimes build up a collection of books and take time out to read, later sell the ones I don't on.

The voice acting in Divinity (English) is some of the best ever and sets the tone and atmos perfectly.

It's hard to believe that almost all RPG's your find someone moaning about the voice acting. As an English man Divinity II is amazing!!!
Originally Posted by Dungeon Master
It's hard to believe that almost all RPG's your find someone moaning about the voice acting. As an English man Divinity II is amazing!!!

That's because

1, some people are just 2 hard to please

2, somepeople just like to complain even if their complaint is groundless

every game has it's flaws & you'll never have a game that does'nt have flaws in the voice acting in one way or another. DKS though is one of the better high quality voice acting games & if you can't recognise that then there really is no hope of pleasing you.
Posted By: Joram Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 18/11/10 10:39 AM
Divine Avenger ... wise words ... open minded, I like that .

I can really be pleased playing the DKS (of cource one of my favorite games), but also playing other RPG's like Risen, Two Worlds II, Oblivion, Arcania, a puzzle game or adventure game, etc ... and be pleased too !

I have of course my meaning about all this RPG's, all with their own flaws !!
For example Oblivion: nice big world, but the "gameplay" do not hold mine attention for long !

Posted By: Monkeyman Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 18/11/10 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Divine Avenger
I don't understand why you'd bother to join the forums if you did'nt like the game unless your a closet addict in which case your forgiven lol

Who said I didn't like? I just turned it into FPS/RPG hehe
Posted By: Monkeyman Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 18/11/10 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Amnariel
Buy a better Pc with a Better Sound Card.And stop complaining please

I have 5.1 sound coming via optical fiber into receiver and a 100 Watt subwoffer.
What can be better? hehe
Posted By: Monkeyman Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 18/11/10 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Dungeon Master

Well, I find Dragon Age voice acting much, much better. And yes, I'm talking about English of course.
Posted By: Monkeyman Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 18/11/10 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Joram
For example Oblivion: nice big world, but the "gameplay" do not hold mine attention for long !

Sure, everyone has flaws. This is not the point.

The point is that Divinity storyline didn't catch me at all - too much cliches and it's not interesting. I think it's in general hard to find a new and interesting storyline in fantasy genre.
Posted By: Rhezuss Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 18/11/10 05:37 PM

I can really be pleased playing the DKS (of cource one of my favorite games), but also playing other RPG's like Risen, Two Worlds II, Oblivion, Arcania, a puzzle game or adventure game, etc ... and be pleased too !

Risen is another amazing RPG. Living in Canada, i'm really glad I can have access to quality RPGs from oversee.

I simply can't find games that hook me to my screen as EURPGs as I like to call them.
Posted By: Eliirae Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 18/11/10 05:52 PM
Didn't read any of the books, really.

Read some of the notes.

First time through listened to all the dialog. (because that's what I do in voiced RPGs: I listen to the voice acting. Shocking, isn't it?)
Originally Posted by Rhezuss

Risen is another amazing RPG. Living in Canada, i'm really glad I can have access to quality RPGs from oversee.

I simply can't find games that hook me to my screen as EURPGs as I like to call them.

Risen I think was indeed a good game but a lot of people did'nt give it a chance, it's just one of thouse games that takes awhile b4 the story picks up some pace. I think that is what turned a lot of people away from it it's certainley not a game forinpatiant people.

But if you want an eg of a game with bad voice acting "TWO WORLDS"
the main charactor always sounded the same even when he should be getting pi**ed off he sounded like a bloody android
Posted By: Monkeyman Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 18/11/10 07:27 PM
Risen I think was indeed a good game but a lot of people did'nt give it a chance, it's just one of thouse games that takes awhile b4 the story picks up some pace. I think that is what turned a lot of people away from it it's certainley not a game forinpatiant people.

For me DKS was such game. At first I was like "Barf! It sucks like hell, but I'm bored and have to play! Puke!", but later I found it pretty nice in some ways.

But if you want an eg of a game with bad voice acting "TWO WORLDS" the main charactor always sounded the same even when he should be getting pi**ed off he sounded like a bloody android

I tried TW2 - uninstalled it in like 15 mins. This is a troll's vomit indeed, especially when you've just finished DKS.
Posted By: Dragomist Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 18/11/10 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Monkeyman

I honestly skipped 90% of all, because voice-overs are awful and storyline is boring as hell and full of cliches. I followed the storyline of Dragon Age and all it's DLCs tho, since it was much better written and voiced.

I find voices well done and storyline is quite engaging and interesting but to each its own potato, so this is not your potato type I guess. I loved Origins and Awakening but DKS is a really nice and fresh bread for my salad.. if you know what I mean.
Posted By: Joram Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 19/11/10 09:13 AM
I'm a patient RPG player, so I like RPG's that don't hold your hand ! RPG's where I must use my brains ... And I read ALL books/notes, etc in each RPG ... but honestly, I love reading! smile

And patiently search/explore the world from A to Z to find secrets and hidden loot etc ! Love that !
Yet in all the Divnity games and Risen exploring the world from A to Z rewarded the player's patient. I think Oblivion too, but can't still say it for sure.
I never played DAO, so I can't compare that game with other RPG's.

Maybe the voice acting in TW II is less interesting then in the DKS and so on, but I'm sure TW II has also great things to have fun with ! smile

Posted By: Aewyn Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 19/11/10 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Polantaris
The only thing I don't do is read the books. There's way too many. I open them to make sure they don't do anything, and skim it, but I don't read the entire thing.

I read some of the books, but basically this was me as well.
Posted By: ANCALAGON Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 20/11/10 12:01 AM
Well I like to read anyway. I read every day, it's one of life's greatest pleasures. I couldn't imagine not reading everything in a game, especially one as good as D2 DKS. I also thought the( English ) voice acting was very good, quite similar to the Fable games.
Posted By: fatboy Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 20/11/10 08:11 PM
i beat risen and gothic 4 and almost ready with dragon age and all dlc's but ill say this DKS did a far better job then any of those games.risen and gothic 4 came up short on gametime but ill admit was fun and adicting. dragon age is fun but not that addicting..cant jump! i like jumping! anygame that removes this feature i loose interest fairly fast. as well jumping is a big part of rpgs and adventures to reach the place u wanna become rich!. So in the END risen took 30 hours and gothic 4 took 22 hours to beat but DKS and the built in expanson took my 67 hours. So yea DKS wins the title for best RPG of 2010!.
Posted By: kache Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 20/11/10 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Monkeyman

Read/Listened dialogues, but never read books/notes (unless asked to by the game).
Posted By: Aetherian Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 20/11/10 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by fatboy
i beat risen and gothic 4 and almost ready with dragon age and all dlc's but ill say this DKS did a far better job then any of those games.risen and gothic 4 came up short on gametime but ill admit was fun and adicting. dragon age is fun but not that addicting..cant jump! i like jumping! anygame that removes this feature i loose interest fairly fast. as well jumping is a big part of rpgs and adventures to reach the place u wanna become rich!. So in the END risen took 30 hours and gothic 4 took 22 hours to beat but DKS and the built in expanson took my 67 hours. So yea DKS wins the title for best RPG of 2010!.

Have you tried Gothic 3 (NOT the piece of excrement which was G3 Forgotten Gods which was NOT made by PB) with the latest Community Patch? Turns out it was a pretty good game after all, and should keep you busy for 60+ hours.
Posted By: Gwenio Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 20/11/10 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Aetherian
Have you tried Gothic 3 (NOT the piece of excrement which was G3 Forgotten Gods which was NOT made by PB) with the latest Community Patch? Turns out it was a pretty good game after all, and should keep you busy for 60+ hours.

If it takes a comunity patch to be good then it was not good.
Posted By: darky2600 Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 20/11/10 11:04 PM
I read most of the ingame books. It is part of the experience.

-----
On the above:

The combat in Gothic 3 was very buggy, because of missing animations. This was very problematic, because even at highest level a wolf can instant kill you.

Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 are excellent. Gothic 3, with patch, doesn't remove the fighting bug, but most other bugs are solved, making it a nice game.
Posted By: Rain Koor Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 21/11/10 12:21 AM
I read every book i could find. In most games where there are books i also collect them, so i can get as much backstory as i can. I think they are an awesome feature to have. Makes all the backstory to factions, characters, settlements etc. in the game optional and adds realism to the gameworld. Now about the voicing in the game. The cast was obviously small, i could recognize many voice actors after a while, but i think they did a very good job mostly, giving different characters different personalities. Never did this game feel a hackjob in the sound department like Oblivion for example. The only flaw with the voice acting aside from obvious lack of personnel in my opinion were a few weird accents and a few obvious wrongly pronounced words. Aside from that really impressive job. Kudos to your voice acting director (if you have one that is).
Posted By: Aetherian Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 21/11/10 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by Gwenio
If it takes a comunity patch to be good then it was not good.

The game was pushed out by the publisher (JoWood) too early due to greed and then they and the dev Piranha Bytes had a divorce from that debacle. From that split JoWood had the legal rights to the Gothic name, damn it all, and also PB could not fix what was broken with any more patches. However the community has stepped up and because of their patches they have pulled out most of the diamond that was in there behind all the rough (bugs). Some engine problems remain, but all in all it has turned out to be a very good game. IMHO the graphics are even better than in Spellbounds Arcania, even after all these years.
Posted By: Aetherian Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 21/11/10 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by darky2600
The combat in Gothic 3 was very buggy, because of missing animations. This was very problematic, because even at highest level a wolf can instant kill you.

Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 are excellent. Gothic 3, with patch, doesn't remove the fighting bug, but most other bugs are solved, making it a nice game.

Have you used the Alternative Balancing & A.I. features in C.P. 1.74? I don't have any problem with the combat or wolves, unless there is a pack of em, then you just lure 'em one at a time to you.

On-topic - I read EVERY book in Div 2, some books have significant clues on how to complete some quests. wink
Posted By: vivaxardas Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 21/11/10 01:23 AM
Sure I read everything. 20 years of education (school, university, grad school) kinda made me love books, you know. It is sad that some teens have problems with reading in games.
Posted By: Monkeyman Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 21/11/10 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by vivaxardas
Sure I read everything. 20 years of education (school, university, grad school) kinda made me love books, you know. It is sad that some teens have problems with reading in games.

Some people find it harder to read anything from monitor than from paper. Me for example. I even print some long texts, because I can't stand reading long stories on screen. No idea why so, but it always was with me.
Posted By: kache Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 21/11/10 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by vivaxardas

It is the opposite for me.
20 years of forced education made me hate reading.
Even though I still read books because I like stories.
Posted By: Shinuz Re: Did you HONESTLY read all the stuff? - 21/11/10 04:50 PM
I read everything i could find, books, notes etc.
Talked and Listened to every person in the game, and i don't understand you ppl that keep on complaining about the voice over, I though they were great.
© Larian Studios forums