Larian Studios
Posted By: Dungeon Master GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 13/12/10 02:46 PM
I bought Divinity II DKS on release day for £39.99 horsey

Doing some last minute xmas shopping for the kids and had a snoop in GAME and they are asking £42.99 for DKS in the high street shop today!

We all want the game to do well, but putting the price up which I have never seen in all my years of gaming just two weeks before xmas is taking the!!!!! Just when Fable 3 has a price slash... Out of all the games why DKS??? suspicion

Remember folks prices are cheaper online but seening as GAME and GAMESTAION who are both the same company have the upper had being the only big retail shop on the high street to stock it just be a litle careful.

Online price at GAME £32.99
Link: Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga (Xbox 360)

**rant over**
Posted By: Knight Flyer Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 13/12/10 03:42 PM
Game are notorious for this, their prices instore differ wildly from the prices on their website and its not even stated anywhere that instore prices may differ from those on the web.

It is stated in their terms and conditions but you have to go rooting for that.

I've seen them selling games to download at 12 quid more than it would cost to order a physical copy and have it delivered.

Gamers getting ripped again.
Posted By: vometia Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 13/12/10 05:08 PM
I'll only use Game if there's no other option, such as them grabbing themselves an exclusive deal on a collector's edition I want, something they manage to do with annoying regularity.

Their customer service is terrible, however, and they have a nasty habit of keeping pre-order bonus codes for DLCs and the like for themselves. So the news of them hiking their prices up at Christmas (especially when aimed at the unwary) comes as no surprise at all.
Posted By: Trippy Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 13/12/10 07:11 PM
I'm an Aussie, and we also have a local version of "Game" (game.com.au). The international prices on Steam (and other sites) have always been much cheaper than Game - even back when our dollar was only worth 60 US cents...
Posted By: Dungeon Master Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 13/12/10 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Vometia
nasty habit of keeping pre-order bonus codes for DLCs and the like for themselves.

Your giving me nasty flash backs. The amount of times I have had to ask for the DLC pre-order codes as they are poping the game in the bag while I'm handing over the cash is unreal. That makes it even worse than having the DLC in the first place!

Here is another nightmare I don't like to think about... When the game is not sealed - NO DEAL.
I hate stickers! down
Posted By: Knight Flyer Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 13/12/10 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Dungeon Master
Here is another nightmare I don't like to think about... When the game is not sealed - NO DEAL.

I hate that, I'm paying for a brand new game, that means in its box, sealed and 100% new as it left the factory.

Last time I tried to buy a game from Tesco (back in my Xbox 360 days), I inspected several discs of the same game and eventually gave up and went elsewhere, every one of them had scratches on it, not to mention some mutton brained numpty's fingerprints all over them.

If its been opened, its second hand.
Posted By: Dungeon Master Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 14/12/10 08:08 AM
Usually Tesco's are good or down in Hampshire they are not bad having either extra stock to give you a sealed copy or they place the games in plastic cases sealed.

Not only is it the second hand-ness of it being open but they pop the game in the manual so your find paper dust on the disk. More times than not it does pay to get the game on released day especially if your forced to buy at GAME.
Posted By: D00M Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 14/12/10 11:42 AM
Game is really bad. The amount of times I've seen secondhand copies of recent games while the new copy is £5 less! I also complained about a secondhand game having scratches and fingerprints all over it, their solution? Install it to the HD...

Also, you know certain 360 games are meant to be budget priced? Earth Defence Force, Onechanbara:
Bikini Samurai Squad, Deadly Premonition, not at Game they're not. £24.99 at Game or £17.99 online.

Paid £26.99 for DKS online, was pretty happy with the price. £42.99 is unreal! do you think they were taking advantage of the low stock situation?
Posted By: Dungeon Master Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 14/12/10 03:03 PM
I think they are taking advantage as everything thats been released in the last 2 months has been seen, done & dusted by the masses.

We know DKS is a Grade A title. It has not been treated like one by the stores but looks like GAME know what it is now so it has become the perfect milking trade in (your Fables, Black OPS & Need 4 Speeds) title I would say.

Think I see Gamestation selling Black OPS for £44.99 new not sealed. Second hand.... £42.99. Friggin WRONG as the dev's and the buyers are being robbed!!
Posted By: Dwagginz Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 14/12/10 09:53 PM
You think that's bad? Star Wars: TFU2 on PC. So, normal PC price is what, £25-£30?

£40. I kid you not.
Posted By: Knight Flyer Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 15/12/10 12:26 AM
I phoned UK Consumer Direct this afternoon.

Told them that the prices differed wildly from web to store to download site etc, the lady I spoke to said she would do some digging and would call me back.

Sure enough, she did.

She told me she had visited their IT dept and some of the guys that work there are gamers and that they were quite up in arms about this and that they had verified what I had told her.

She also said that while it seemed unethical to have different pricing structures, Game are legally entitled to do so as the shops, the mail order and the download site (metaboli) are all registered as seperate business's, so its legally acceptable for them to do what they do, she was very sorry, but at this time, there's not a damn thing that can be done about it.

She did say that MP's are being lobbied to bring about a change to this situation but in her own words - quote "That mill grinds slowly".

So for now folks, the only thing you can vote with, is your feet.
Posted By: Arkangel Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 15/12/10 02:07 PM
A few weeks ago I bought Ego Draconis in PC World for £9.99. I was about half way through ED when Flames of Vengeance was released - I downloaded it from Game for £14.99. FoV's enhancements improved ED tremendously. I haven't had the slightest problem and I reckon that £24.98 for both (almost DKS) was a bargain!
Posted By: 369 Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 15/12/10 04:38 PM
I was in my local Gamestation the other day, they had two copies of Dragon Knight Saga on their shelves for £42.99.

Seeing as the parent company for both Game and Gamestation is the same, I guess it's not too surprising.

The thing that really irritates me about this pricing policy is that it will put off people who are browsing the shelves looking for something a bit different. If they see DKS for £42.99, then Castlevania for £22.99 and Enslaved for £19.99, they are going to take a punt on the cheaper options, if they haven't heard of the games before. Presumably a game developer like Larian would like as many people as possible to try out their games and gradually broaden their fan-base, but a pricing policy like this by Game and Gamestation, sure as hell isn't going to do it!
Posted By: Demonic Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 15/12/10 10:31 PM
Well if it's any help, I once saw someone stealing something from Game and he got away with it too. I stopped using Game at the beginning of this year. HMV is much better. They provide refunds too and some of the games are "buy 2 for £15". The best place for games though is Amazon.

Just don't buy games from Game any more, they had to close 100 shops last year. Serves them right I say.
Posted By: vometia Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 16/12/10 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Demonic
Well if it's any help, I once saw someone stealing something from Game and he got away with it too. I stopped using Game at the beginning of this year. HMV is much better. They provide refunds too and some of the games are "buy 2 for £15". The best place for games though is Amazon.

I tend to mostly use Amazon, too. Not always the cheapest (at least in general terms) but I use them partly because it involves not going out, which I don't like, and partly because they have at least some minimal standard of customer service so you know you're not out of luck if something goes wrong.

Originally Posted by Demonic
Just don't buy games from Game any more, they had to close 100 shops last year. Serves them right I say.

That cheered me up somewhat! grin Yes, I am vindictive like that. Yes, they do deserve it.
Posted By: Dungeon Master Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 16/12/10 09:30 AM
Bring back the days when WHSmiths was 'the' place to buy your games at.

Showing my real age now. :hihi:
Posted By: Dwagginz Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 16/12/10 10:20 AM

Game might be bad, but WHSmith is on a completely different level of "Money grabbing scumbags".
Posted By: vometia Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 16/12/10 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Dwagginz
Game might be bad, but WHSmith is on a completely different level of "Money grabbing scumbags".

I don't think they were always like that, unless I've just become more jaded with age. I think they've gone markedly downhill in terms of customer value in the last 10 years or so, but in my youth they seemed to be a lot more amicable. Nowadays, however, they tend to be on my "avoid" list unless I'm just on the lookout for a magazine.
Posted By: LsotProphet Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 16/12/10 11:39 AM
DKS is 2999 HUF here in Hungary, which means 12 US dollars:)
Posted By: D00M Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 16/12/10 11:49 AM

Was that Spectrum & C64 games then? now THAT'S really showing my age.
£10.99 for the latest releases and £2.99 for budget games laugh
Posted By: vometia Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 16/12/10 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by D00M

They'd be the cassette releases, though: if you wanted a cartridge (why would anyone not want the excitement of guessing when you'd get an "I/O Error" from crinkly tape? :-D) you'd pay pretty much the same price a game costs today, 25 years on. :o
Posted By: Dungeon Master Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 16/12/10 02:41 PM
Commodore C16/Plus4 & C64 games for me and if you didn't like it you could take it back haha! smile

The Amiga would change everything with price tags of £24.99 - the price of games have held out well since then when you think what we are playing now. Was hard paying £40-£70 quid on Sega Megadrive carts mind lol.

Posted By: ForkTong Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 16/12/10 02:53 PM
Oh come on you guys were lucky. The closest shop I could buy C64 games was in Antwerp and I had to pay what they were asking cause it's not as if I could go to the competition or anything. (Half hour drive depending on traffic and parking was hell.)

There was a "computer store" in another city closer by, but they only had three or four C64 titles (old, full price, dusty boxes) cause they didn't think computers were really made for gaming opa
Posted By: D00M Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 16/12/10 02:55 PM
Yeah, don't forget to record/copy it before taking it back! laugh
I was in the Spectrum camp myself, how did the old argument go? The Spectrum has better graphics, but the C64 has better colours etc etc.
Posted By: ForkTong Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 16/12/10 03:26 PM
In the late eighties and early nineties, the kind of stuff they pulled off on a 64 was mind-boggling. I don't think a ZX Spectrum could pull off Last Ninja III for instance. Graphics-wise AND sound-wise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyH8f-bW-FY

I still hum this tune now and then smile
Posted By: D00M Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 16/12/10 03:42 PM
Come on now, I thought those wars were far behind us :P
The last Ninja series was one of those games I wished I was good at, you had to have some skills not to get your ass kicked by simple thugs, I just ran...

Now, back to the wars... comparisons

Midnight Resistance 128+ ftw laugh

Posted By: Dungeon Master Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 16/12/10 07:04 PM
We were lucky in the UK, almost all corner shops would sell the likes of Mastertronic 1.99 titles, Codemasters, Firebird ect... We also had Boots in competition with WHSmiths. I can't remember the store name but around 1987 a shop named something like Ultima was the first real 100% dedicated gaming shop - GAME put them under in the early 90's. Was a great shop for it's time!! frown

GAME when it first opened was also a GREAT shop, but some years later Electronic Boutique bought them out but kept the name. I called Elec Boutique the Dead Skin shop because you would not always get new stuff in the box - this was before the days of Part-xing.

C64 SID ruelz and yeah Last Ninja was awesome. smile

Manics of Noise
Turbo OutRun

Ghouls'n'Ghosts, Turricain 1 & 2. I loved Rick Dangerous. Thrust was awesome too.

Spectrum had a really cool version of Super Sprint!

I still have all my retro stuff. smile
Posted By: vometia Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 16/12/10 08:09 PM
Sigh, I used to envy the Commode 64 users, and those with BBC Micros and Spectrums and VIC-20s and Orics and Amstrad CPCs and... pretty much everything, since they all had better sound and graphics than the lamentable efforts of my Dragon 32. Then again it had a better CPU than any of them; shame it was crippled by the rubbish Microsoft BASIC of the time (some things never change) but it was interesting nonetheless. Funny to think how things have moved on, like floppy disc drives being so cheap you can hardly give them away now when a reasonable drive and controller would set you back about £400 (not sure what that is in today's money, but probably over a grand) back in the day...
Posted By: 369 Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 16/12/10 10:48 PM

Ha...amateurs...

I had a binatone home console when I was about seven that played about 12 variations of pong in black and white, this was years before even the Atari 2600 came out... grin
Posted By: Dungeon Master Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 17/12/10 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by 369

Ha...amateurs...

I had a binatone home console when I was about seven that played about 12 variations of pong in black and white, this was years before even the Atari 2600 came out... grin

lol I just don't want to admit I had a lot of fun with that back in 1981_ish??? My dad had one and we played the then Virtua Tennis for days none stop. stupid

Had Snoopy Tennis Game & Watch xmas 1982 because of that... Donkey Kong .Jr was better. laugh
Posted By: Dungeon Master Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 17/12/10 08:58 AM
Oh yeah, just incase anyone missed it. Last Ninja & Divine Divinity share something in common and I understand wholeheartedly why ForkTong is fond of it. Big Repesct!! claphands
Posted By: 369 Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 17/12/10 10:01 AM
lol I just don't want to admit I had a lot of fun with that back in 1981_ish??? My dad had one and we played the then Virtua Tennis for days none stop. stupid

I remember playing the binatone around the time I was taken to see Star Wars for the first time...so that's around 1977!!!

When did the 2600 come out, early 80's was it? My age befuddled brain plays tricks on me sometimes...
Posted By: D00M Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 17/12/10 11:08 AM
Oh yeah, just incase anyone missed it. Last Ninja & Divine Divinity share something in common and I understand wholeheartedly why ForkTong is fond of it. Big Repesct!! claphands

Hrrm, That's why I found Divine Divinity so freaking hard! I couldn't beat the first dungeon where you start and gave up. (running away didn't work!)
Posted By: monzmeg Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 19/12/10 03:43 PM
I bought Divinity II DKS on release day for £39.99 horsey

Doing some last minute xmas shopping for the kids and had a snoop in GAME and they are asking £42.99 for DKS in the high street shop today!

We all want the game to do well, but putting the price up which I have never seen in all my years of gaming just two weeks before xmas is taking the!!!!! Just when Fable 3 has a price slash... Out of all the games why DKS??? suspicion

Remember folks prices are cheaper online but seening as GAME and GAMESTAION who are both the same company have the upper had being the only big retail shop on the high street to stock it just be a litle careful.

Online price at GAME £32.99
Link: Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga (Xbox 360)

**rant over**

I bought my copy for £27.99 new, sealed instore at Game, on sale yesterday.....well pleased as you're right it was 42.99 on Wednesday last week. Thats in line with there online pricing which is good to see......might sell better for sure to the more casual/newcomer to rpg crowd at that price.
Posted By: Doctor Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 20/12/10 11:35 AM
Just bought DKS from gamestation for £27.99, i bought divinity 2 when it first came out on the '360 and it annoyed the heck out of me, lol! but could see there WAS a great game there so am trying again with this, hopefully, massively improved version.
Posted By: Knight Flyer Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 20/12/10 09:49 PM
Was in a large GAME store at a retail park today and they've halved the price of Fallout New Vegas, £29.99 down to £14.99

Guess its not selling as well as they'd hoped.

But get this, a "GARDENING" simulator was £39.99

A gardening sim computer game, well I'll eat hay with a donkey.
Posted By: vometia Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 20/12/10 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Knight Flyer
But get this, a "GARDENING" simulator was £39.99

A gardening sim computer game, well I'll eat hay with a donkey.

Actually they're not as daft an idea as you'd think: it's much easier to make your design mistakes with a simulator than an actual garden while you're trying to figure out what to do with it. Speaking as someone with a "difficult" garden. That said, I've never bought such a package, just saying I can understand why people would.
Posted By: Greever Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 21/12/10 09:36 AM
80 million people play Farmville. There is a market out there :hihi:
Posted By: ForkTong Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 21/12/10 09:43 AM
When Div2 Ego Draconis came out in Germany, we went hand-to-hand with some kind of farming tractor simulator...
Posted By: vometia Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 21/12/10 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by ForkTong
When Div2 Ego Draconis came out in Germany, we went hand-to-hand with some kind of farming tractor simulator...

Oh, that was a stroke of bad luck. If only the competition had been something less awesome like Mass Effect or New Vegas... grin
Posted By: Dwagginz Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 21/12/10 02:25 PM
Was in a large GAME store at a retail park today and they've halved the price of Fallout New Vegas, £29.99 down to £14.99

Guess its not selling as well as they'd hoped.

Or they're clearing stock for the releases next year (Some big releases coming quite early, such as EA's Bulletstorm) and enticing people into their store.

Just because a game's gone cheap, it doesn't mean it's not selling.
Posted By: ForkTong Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 21/12/10 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Vometia
Oh, that was a stroke of bad luck. If only the competition had been something less awesome like Mass Effect or New Vegas... grin

Believe you me, in Germany that tractor sim was in the top 5 best selling games on PC for like a month. You shoulda seen the promo video. Stiff competition.
Posted By: Trippy Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 21/12/10 02:39 PM
LoL - I just purchased a submarine simulator called "Dive to the Titanic" (I love sims!) - but seriously, how can you compare an epic RPG to a simple simulator?! DKS2 is definitely my game of the year smile
Posted By: Knight Flyer Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 21/12/10 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Dwagginz

Just because a game's gone cheap, it doesn't mean it's not selling.

Very true

But lets take a lookie here:

NV is basically a port of Fallout 3 so your paying a new game price for a conversion of an old game.

It was released in a more bug ridden state than most Bethesda games and that takes some doing.

It uses an old engine that Bethesda never seemed to master, (even though the guys from Larian can make it hum along quite nicely).

Its a Steam activated title, might not put you off but it does put others off.

Forced patches from Steam breaks everybodies mods.

And now, so soon after release, its gone cheap, in fact, its half price.

Yup, must be sellin like hotcakes oops
Posted By: vometia Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 22/12/10 11:07 AM
[quote=Dwagginz]
But lets take a lookie here:

NV is basically a port of Fallout 3 so your paying a new game price for a conversion of an old game.

It was released in a more bug ridden state than most Bethesda games and that takes some doing.

It uses an old engine that Bethesda never seemed to master, (even though the guys from Larian can make it hum along quite nicely).

I enjoyed NV a lot, but I did think it was a bloody cheek using the same old engine, assets and so forth and charging full price for what was a bunch of largely broken quests and unfinished AI. If I didn't already own FO3 I might have a more positive attitude and I did get 160 hours out of it, but it seemed a bit cheap of them.

On the other hand, they did tweak the engine somewhat: FO3 had some very nasty game-corrupting bugs that seem to have gone away and in my experience NV ran a lot more smoothly, unlike the judder-fest that went before. But I'd say it was more of an albeit big expansion to FO3 rather than a fully-fledged game in itself.
Posted By: ForkTong Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 22/12/10 12:18 PM
You guys just talked me into not getting Vegas. Ta.
Posted By: vometia Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 22/12/10 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by ForkTong
You guys just talked me into not getting Vegas. Ta.

Oh, bum. It's actually quite good (and will be better once the plethora of bugs is fixed!) and I'd still recommend it; the re-use of assets is more of a principle thing, at least from my perspective.

Familiarity with its command-line to unstick quests is a prerequisite, though. grin
Posted By: Dwagginz Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 22/12/10 01:09 PM
[quote=Dwagginz]

What? That makes no sense, not to mention the argument you're trying to make is so annoyingly drole and passť. So what if FO:NV is similar to FO3? Was FO2 not similar to FO1? Was BG2 not similar to BG1? Why does it matter so much if a sequel is similar to the game that precedes it? Heck, wasn't Beyond Divinity (To use a Larian example) somewhat similar to Divine Divinity?

It's not a "port" as it's not been transferred from one platform to another. It's not a conversion as they've not taken FO3 and tweaked it. It's a standalone game that overhauled the mechanics of FO3. S.P.E.C.I.A.L. was updated, the perk system was overhauled, traits were added, it's a whole new setting (Sort of, anyway) with new gameplay mechanics and new items and characters. It's much more than a conversion.

And? Bugginess seems to only count against certain games. BG2 and NWN were famed for being quite buggy, too. Yeah, NV is buggy but it's no buggier than a number of other games on the market. At least Bethesda and Obsidian are working to fix the bugs, unlike some developers/publishers.

Bethesda are the only studio to really have cocked up Gamebryo to this degree. However, New Vegas (for me) is by far the most stable iteration of Bethesda's modified Gamebryo to date. FO3 blue screened constantly with my drivers and modding constantly broke Oblivion for me (Not to mention it kept falling over anyway).

Its a Steam activated title, might not put you off but it does put others off.

Forced patches from Steam breaks everybodies mods.

Not everyone mods the game, and I don't think Steam has any factor on sales at all. Civ V, Half-Life 2 + Episodes, Portal 1, TF2, Dawn of War 2 + Chaos Rising, MW2, Black Ops (I think that requires Steam, could be wrong) - All have done, in terms of the PC, incredibly well.

And now, so soon after release, its gone cheap, in fact, its half price.

Which is perfectly normal for the UK game market bar Activision titles. A lot of big releases drop massively in price after a short while - I've seen Dead Rising 2 at £15 for the PC.
Posted By: Knight Flyer Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 23/12/10 02:37 AM
Dwagginz

I never said it shouldn't be similar, of course it should be similar, its the same series.

What I'm saying is that they didn't develope anything new, yes they tweaked this and altered that and gave it a new storyline and quests but it uses everything that was in Fallout 3, one of the reasons that it was so buggy was that half the damn scripts from Fallout 3 were still running in the New Vegas game.

As for the term "port" or "conversion", who gives a shit what you call it, they took all the assets from Fallout 3 and used them in New Vegas, thats means they converted Fallout 3 to New Vegas.

Nehrim is a "conversion" for Oblivion, the installer takes all the game content for Oblivion and uses it for Nehrim, so how the hell is taking all the stuff from Fallout 3 and using it in New Vegas not a conversion or a port, everything from Fallout 3 has been ported into New Vegas, even the stuff thats in Fallout 3 that doesn't show up in New Vegas is still there in the game folder, don't believe me ? then open the Geck and check it out for yourself.

The fact remains that New Vegas is not a completely new game, which is what your being charged for.

As for "not everyone mods the game", the main reason that many many people buy Bethesda games is because they "can" mod them.

Steam does put some people off, try to remember the fact that just because you have an opinion doesn't mean that everybody else has the same opinion. When a lot of folks found out that New Vegas was Steam only there was hell on, Bethesda forums moderators deleted thousands of posts from people complaining about it, then there was hell on about the posts being deleted and all those posts got deleted too.

At least you agree that Bethesda made a bloody mess of Gamebryo.

And finally, I finished off the last of my Xmas shopping (mmmmm beer) in good old Tesco's and there was Fallout NV at £22, somat is definately up when Tesco's drops the price of games.
Posted By: vometia Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 23/12/10 08:08 AM
What I'm saying is that they didn't develope anything new, yes they tweaked this and altered that and gave it a new storyline and quests but it uses everything that was in Fallout 3, one of the reasons that it was so buggy was that half the damn scripts from Fallout 3 were still running in the New Vegas game.

That's interesting - I hadn't realised that. I had noticed that there was still a huge amount of Fallout 3-related stuff lurking in the master file that had absolutely nothing to do with FNV such as characters, items and stuff. I'd assumed rather naively it was to make modders' life easier by retaining formids so that porting their mods was easier (even given their track record with FO3), but it does seem to be more a case of a sloppy conversion.
Posted By: Dwagginz Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 23/12/10 03:00 PM
No, New Vegas isn't a 100% new game, I agree. The game itself (As in what you interact with, what you see etc) uses a lot of Bethesda's assets, but there are just as many (If not more) items created by Obsidian, from character facegens to faction armour, from weapons to buildings. The time they saved on creating new items (Most of the reused ones are smaller items such as pilot lights, stimpaks, etc. which could have taken a lot of time to make) could have been used to create the needed new items and on crafting the game. New Vegas had a smaller dev cycle than FO3.

It's no less of a full game, though, and to call it "a conversion of an old game" isn't accurate, or fair, to any degree.

I'll also agree that Obsidian should have cut down the resources a lot, because if you're right (And I assume you are from Vometia's comment) then there's a lot of fluff that needs removing to streamline the system.
Posted By: virumor Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 24/12/10 02:06 PM
It's better if Obsidian starts from a pre-existing engine & another developer's IP, because if they have to create something from scratch on their own, it's a total debacle (see Alpha Protocol).

Now they're using their home-brewn engine (Onyx) for Dungeon Siege 3, let's see how that one goes.
Posted By: SirChronos Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 24/12/10 02:52 PM

It's similar to Fallout 3 but it's not a conversion lol...
Posted By: Dwagginz Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 25/12/10 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by virumor
It's better if Obsidian starts from a pre-existing engine & another developer's IP, because if they have to create something from scratch on their own, it's a total debacle (see Alpha Protocol).

Alpha Protocol was on Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3 wink
Posted By: drkmn302 Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 30/12/10 09:27 PM
shopto.net £26.99
Posted By: Dungeon Master Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 31/12/10 12:40 AM
My son picked up a copy at Game today with his xmas Game Money Card for £27.99 and it was sealed. That was with the sticker of it being priced before at £42.99 that it was last week!!! The £27.99 was a massive in ya face sale type round sticker lol.

Funny thing is, they have this so called sale on but I see official control pads have gone back up to £39.99 which is a first for a very, very long time.
Dirty Bar Stewards knowing people who got a 360 for xmas may want another. They think we are stupid, but Tesco have been doing this for years with it's food!! think
Posted By: Foxytiler Re: GAME (UK) ripping people off... - 09/03/11 09:09 PM
Hi guys remember Mastertronic £1.99 and I think I picked up rebelstar for about £2.99!!! great game so really showing my age :-(
© Larian Studios forums