Larian Studios
I tried this game a few days ago as i love RPG's and have been looking for a real good RPG (Not the mainstream stuff they call RPG's, like oblivion). I was a but apprehensive as I tried a few other lesser known games and got burned people told me were good. This game is awesome, how come more people and game sites are not giving this game its just attention. It's sad today unless a game gets hyped and advertised like crazy it gets little to no press.

I hope the devs keep making games like this, as they seem to be rarer in todays casual, hold your hand gaming environment. Love it.
It's a cult game.
About 1/2 the budget for well-known rpg goes to marketing (and 3/4 to everything but development).

I was under the impression larian doesn't have enough money to do big marketing AND deliver a great game.
Cause it's on Xbox 360!

Yes, I know this was the answer that you were looking for. Congrats.
Thanks for the appreciation for our game, the entire team has put their heart and soul into it to make it as good as possible with the available budget.
I'd say, help us a little making it more well known; spread the word, nobody is as credible as a good fanbase! smile
rabid fanboys you mean crazy
Divinity 2, like Divine Divinity before it, is a great game. And Like Divine Divinity, received very little press here in the U.S. - which is unfortunate. Both games are very good games with solid stories and play mechanices. It's a real shame that more people don't know about these games.
I pity anyone who does not heard about divinity 2, poor guys living in their dark, blank mainstream world.

so sad, so sad... smile
I never heard of it.

Was browsing a Gamestop's used games for a cheap game to try, and since I like dragons, Divinity 2 Caught my eye.
Blame the publisher for its lack of marketing...though it's still months away for the US officially. I'm fairly certain the business model works in that what happens after the game is done, is out of the hands of the developers(besides patches/content of course). The publisher can distribute the game, but it doesn't have to inform you of its existence if it lacks the funds or will to do so.

I thought it was great and have mentioned it to others.
Took wind of this game in a certain message board under a thread called "Nothing good ever comes out of Gamebryo". Gave it a try for the hell of it and had to go "It's like it's not really made with Gamebryo!" or maybe it should have been "Why is Bethesda so talentless?" but yeah.
Many many thanks for the nice comments. We are pleased to know that the efforts and the passion we have put in the Divinity Saga are appreciated by our fans.

I have added your thread to the Users Reviews Thread.

If you want to help us make The Dragon Knight Saga even more popular, please join one (or all wink ) our social media, see my signature smile
And tell your friends!

Thanks!
hehe
Is Divine Divinity released on PC only? I would be interested in playing that - being as I am loving Divinity 2 so much. I am totally addicted! smile
Hello, yes, Divine Divinity is for PC only.
You can get the digital version of the game, please have a look here.
I advertised it on the Two Worlds forum but that was it. If all fans of the game were to advertise the game on all the game sites they use, it would surely become more popular and hopefully we'll see a new Divinity game soon.
A new Divinity game would be great. I am so impressed with this game. smile
Aren't they aredy developing div 3?
Even if they are developing Div 3, don't get too excited. I love the Divinity games but 7 years between major releases is a long, long, time. Assuming that Larian started working on Div 3 in 2009, that means the next full game would release in 2016. That's one of the problems Larian has in getting a publisher, especially American. Nobody wants to wait 7 years for ROI.

I say this as someone who has loved both games.
And there is year 2012..... sad

We are so doomed.... smile
Only God knows when the world will end...

And I doubt it'll take 7 years for Larian to make the next Divinity game. I heard they were working on a spin-off game.
Spin-off?? When and where were you heard that?

I hope they are working on div 3 as DIV 3, not some spin-off. (DKS get me worked up on next divinity)
I agree, pall. I also seriously hope that they just use current tech and release fast, but I'm not holding my breath. Crpgs take a long time to build. Even if they don't scrap the engine, it'll be at least 2-3 years for another full game. I wouldn't mind a spinoff that had nothing to do with the Divine or Damian or the Chaos Lord, etc. Something where you're re-establishing territory after the war as a member of the Champions or New Order. A couple of these would be welcome. The team isn't really big enough to do something like this though and still develop Div 3 at the same time.
i finished two worlds 2 its fun and the story is -improved,then i started divinity 2 OMG do ilove this more , the detail of some places is incredible , sometimes i just stop and observe my soroundings , and the soundtrack is superb festival of immortals , sentinel island,the main theme are my favs, the quests for me atleast are way more interesting than two worlds 2
The spin-off could take place in the faraway land that Ursula speaks about. She still has some evil sisters running amok there. rpg003
Aww... but i want to $%^&* Damian or help Divine do it.
Originally Posted by crpgnut
Even if they are developing Div 3, don't get too excited. I love the Divinity games but 7 years between major releases is a long, long, time. Assuming that Larian started working on Div 3 in 2009, that means the next full game would release in 2016. That's one of the problems Larian has in getting a publisher, especially American. Nobody wants to wait 7 years for ROI.

What are the time gap between Starcraft I and II? And Diablo III was in development so long Vivendi brought the hammer down on Blizzard North.

My point is that it is not always the case that a publisher will not hold out for a release. But certain Larian does not have anywhere near the clout Blizzard has. That said I would be happy to play other Larian games while waiting for a proper release.

EDIT: Sorry kind of necroposted it. Didn't notice the 2nd page rolleyes

Actually, the German publisher was involved relatively early in the process, but ROI wasn't a problem for North American publishers because the game was close to done when they were approached. Even then no one wanted to publish the Xbox version until they saw sales results from the rest of the world.

In another topic (Status update) Lar mentioned that if the Larian Vault worked out they may not need as much publisher involvement for the development of their next RPG.
Originally Posted by Raze

Actually, the German publisher was involved relatively early in the process, but ROI wasn't a problem for North American publishers because the game was close to done when they were approached. Even then no one wanted to publish the Xbox version until they saw sales results from the rest of the world.

In another topic (Status update) Lar mentioned that if the Larian Vault worked out they may not need as much publisher involvement for the development of their next RPG.

Yes, game consoles are an entirely different beast in itself. Anyone can publish a title for PC/Mac and there's no licensing and distributor requirements. Larian Vault won't touch consoles such as Xbox and PS3 that require titles go through XBLA and PSN respectively for digital distribution.

Although I like the idea of first hand publishing on their own site even if it is just for PC titles. It should cut down on overhead and create a stronger fanbase which is always a win-win. My only hope is that everyone spreads the word so it can go viral otherwise without a major channel like steam the masses won't even know a game has been released. Either that or land a spotlight with big media.
word of mouth ftw : D

some guy made a really nice but short review on gametrailer.com on the pc forum and here i'm enjoy this game ; )

i think the best part was this company put their game on sale via Steam.

best investment for both of us haha
Divinity II has been doing very well in RPGWatch Game of the Year Awards
As long as I can buy a box through the larian vault...
Originally Posted by melianos
As long as I can buy a box through the larian vault...

The post linked by Raze says digital distribution so I'd say probably not.

Actually, the Divine Divinity / Beyond Divinity remix audio CD is listed in the Vault, so physical products are not necessarily a problem (it is also available digitally). I don't know if the publishing deals for the PC versions would exclude direct sales, or not. Larian can not sell the Xbox version directly, in any case (see Lar's post in DKS Xbox 360 (USA) possibly direct from Larian?).
Originally Posted by pall
Spin-off?? When and where were you heard that?

I hope they are working on div 3 as DIV 3, not some spin-off. (DKS get me worked up on next divinity)

I remember someone from Larian Studios on the forums mentioning they are working on a spin-off Divinity game and that they are thinking of making it like the first one with the high isomectic (or whatever) camera. If they are making the camera like that, they should allow it to be done like in NWN where we can zoom in to our character and view them from behind. I prefer the camera of DIV2, so they should keep that as well.
Third person or isomectic? I think that who and what we will control in div 3 should decide what camera will be used.
I really enjoyed this game and really think this game franchise has amazing potential. Id rather play Div3 over diablo3 and its right there with dragonage 2
Some months ago, in one of the status updates, I promised I wanted to be more open about the development of our next games. I'd like to start doing that, but out of necessity still need to be cryptic about certain things.

So currently we have 2 Divinity projects in pre-production - The first one, code named project E features a top-down camera whereas the other one, code named project D, has a camera similar to DKS but obviously with certain improvements.

They are both in pre-production meaning that would ordinarily mean that it's unsure that they'll make it to market, but I think there'll be an announcement in the next couple of weeks that guarantees at least one of the two will make it to production, and I'd actually be surprised if the second one doesn't make it either. I'm the most biased person on the planet when it comes to Divinity games, but I am under the impression that they're both uber-cool games and that I'd like to play them both. If past experience is anything to go by, that means that somehow we'll manage to get them made.

Talking about project E, the top-down thing has disadvantages when it comes to immersion, but it makes up in terms of some of the content things we can pull off with it. You can think of E as the original Divinity in a modern jacket augmented with many of the insights we gained over the course of they years and some new things we'd like to try out (with the caveat that those sometimes work, and sometimes don't). It certainly looks nice, and many of the ideas in there fit with what you've all been writing of things you want in our forums. Some don't however; ) I'd really like to show you some early screenshots, but since that would be a first announcement, it'd make it all over the web, and it might cause mis-interpretation which would take a long time to set right, so we'll refrain from that for the moment.

D, well, that one does *one* thing which I expect several in this industry will tell us is insane, for probably good reasons, but I can't help but thinking that it'll make for really cool gameplay so we'll try it out nonetheless - I'm being a bit cryptic about it because D's development has two roads it can follow, and I don't know which one it'll be yet. I do know which one I'd prefer, but that's the one that'll cost tons of cash and we still need to figure out if we can get someone crazy enough to share our belief that that's a game that should be made. To be fair, we haven't shown it to anybody yet, so I have no clue if it actually requires craziness, or instead people will jump on it, but the plan is to start showing it around at GDC, so we'll see what that gives.

What I can tell you about D is that it *should* take care of one of the frustrations I personally still had with DKS i.e. getting the dragon thing really right. Given the scope of DKS we never could focus sufficient development resources on that, and to avoid that from happening with D we started pre-production by focussing completely on the dragon thing. In my mind, there still hasn't been a game that got the feeling of being a powerful beast of destruction right (and fun), and that's going to be one of the core ambitions with D. Should it turn out that it doesn't work, it won't be for lack of trying wink

While I'm writing, I also wanted to thank you all for the feedback we're getting in here - I'm often amazed by how crystal accurate some of the analysis is, and for us it's like mana from heaven in terms of getting our design focused. Even Kein's continuous frontal assaults are a great source of inspiration wink
Oh yes, I need to add that development being development, anything that I write about project D & E comes with the disclaimer that it's prone to change as we continue development - new insights are gained every day and resources are limited so on occasion we might decide to change course.
Great news smile !
Whatever it will be, E or D, I buy your next game if it becomes reality wink
Both, E and D, can certainly hold my attention ... and maybe you, the whole Larian Team, succeed to make an enormous RPG many gamers will love it very much !!

Should it be possible to create a whole "Globe" where in the Dragon can fly like a airoplane can fly around the world (endlessly, if it use no fuel :hihi: ) ?

So you make a "planet" that IS the whole Game World the player can travel in ... named Rivellon (or whatever).
But I'm afraid this feature is very difficult to make ... is't it?

Good luck with all the development(issues) wave

PS: for this moment I love most project E. Maybe in the future make a POLL on this Forum so you can have an idea what most people prefer? Just a think ...
From what Lar wrote, I'm really intrigued by project D... the industry desperately needs someone trying to do something original.
Wow, any news is always good news. And if you're aiming for an industry first, you already got it. Nobody continuously gives out this much info, in this format, at this early of a stage. I look forward to more updates.
Originally Posted by Lar_q
Oh yes, I need to add that development being development, anything that I write about project D & E comes with the disclaimer that it's prone to change as we continue development - new insights are gained every day and resources are limited so on occasion we might decide to change course.

Project D and project E...

[conspiration mode on]D and E...

D like... DWARVES and E like... ELVES. DWARVES and ELVES in Divinity 3!

...Or, even better... D like DATING and E like ELVES.

SECKS with Elves in Divinity 3!

YES![/conspiration mode off]

Divinity 3 is going to be awesome.
That's one of reasons why i like larian, they respect their fans. and even in early developent they
already are open with us.

[quote=Lar_q
What I can tell you about D is that it *should* take care of one of the frustrations I personally still had with DKS i.e. getting the dragon thing really right. Given the scope of DKS we never could focus sufficient development resources on that, and to avoid that from happening with D we started pre-production by focussing completely on the dragon thing. In my mind, there still hasn't been a game that got the feeling of being a powerful beast of destruction right (and fun), and that's going to be one of the core ambitions with D. Should it turn out that it doesn't work, it won't be for lack of trying wink
[/quote]
So in project D we will be dragon knight, right?
Hello there !

Agree with pall, it's nice to hear about your upcoming projects. Since Divinity 2 ED and later DKS were so good, I can't wait to see what's coming next.

I have a clear preference for the second project. Well, I'm not really into top-down view anymore. Second, I really agree on the fact that the dragon was really one the coolest thing about Divinity 2 (along with a thousand other things :p), but it was not really set to perfection, especially since with DKS the fortresses became so easy to finish compared to Ego Draconis. You could go straight to the boss and there was no need to fight with as a dragon anymore. frown
But definitely, flying as a dragon was such a cool experience. The animation and the control was so good. I used to fly just for the fun of it. I also loved to run to the edge of a cliff (in the human shape), jump into the void, and transform into a dragon while falling. A-MA-ZING.

Since it's rather rare that I'm posting, I would also like to take the opportunity to thank you for something. As a woman, I'm really GLAD that I could play a woman character. It can seem to be a detail, but there's not so many off-line RPG that let you be a girl. The witcher, Two World 1&2, Risen... they all make you be a man. There's nothing wrong with you men, but it helps for the immersion to be a female dragon for me :p

Can't wait for some official news !
When can I preorder D and E !
Sounds pretty cool laugh I'll definitely keep an eye on the forum.

(I would love having bunch of money to help Larian to be crazy ^^)
The game is very nice but has some negative sides:
--the models of enemy units look stupid while the main char looks convincing
--too many puzzles which are hard (FOR SOME GUYS THIS MAY THE MOST INTERESTING stuff but not for me)
--they overdid it with effects during battle and I can't see anything when I fight (I'm a mage)
--replayablity : not so much
But it is one of the best rpg I've played
Lar_q
Why post here, not in General announcements?

Even Kein's continuous frontal assaults are a great source of inspiration

:<
I feel guilty now :<

Anyway, I look forward to new isometric/DD-like game!

GabeN
Project D and project E...
[conspiration mode on]D and E...
D like... DWARVES and E like... ELVES. DWARVES and ELVES in Divinity 3!
...Or, even better... D like DATING and E like ELVES.
SECKS with Elves in Divinity 3!
YES![/conspiration mode off]
Divinity 3 is going to be awesome.

Project A = DD.
Project B = BD.
Project C = ED/DKS.
Project D = new ED/DKS-like game
Project E = new DD/BD-like game.

Talking about project E, the top-down thing has disadvantages when it comes to immersion

Wellllll, maybe. But think of how much you could manipulate and interact with the world around you in Divine Divinty. Is that not a form of immersion?

I'm stoked to hear about 'project E'. I almost don't want to get too excited talking about it, it's like holding a snowflake in my hand. Top-down games are almost gone.
Isometric could be nice in a throwback but it also means less dev time and better yet... more platform flexibility. I normally wouldn't speculate in this manner, but Larian is so open about speculation on future products-- it presents possibilities of in-browser, mobile, and cloud based gameplay.
Originally Posted by Kein

Project A = DD.
Project B = BD.
Project C = ED/DKS.

Irony, know what it is?

I thought that "conspiration mode on" would make it even more obvious. ^^
Please, please include local-co-op in Project E. There's no decent co-op RPG's out there frown
Originally Posted by D00M
Please, please include local-co-op in Project E. There's no decent co-op RPG's out there frown

NO.

I don't want another catastrophy like that awful Beyond Divinity. I'd prefer there to be no co-operation in Larian games, neither single nor multi-player. Even in Divinity 2 mere summons annoy me more than they are worth (Minion ALWAYS goes in the door, making it impossible to go through and I have to send him back or hope he moves, wasting mana which on my Archer/Warrior mix is very slowly regenerating), and Larian doesn't care enough to make us able to go through minions, which would fix most of my problems.
Originally Posted by GabeN
Originally Posted by D00M

NO.

I don't want another catastrophy like that awful Beyond Divinity. I'd prefer there to be no co-operation in Larian games, neither single nor multi-player. Even in Divinity 2 mere summons annoy me more than they are worth (Minion ALWAYS goes in the door, making it impossible to go through and I have to send him back or hope he moves, wasting mana which on my Archer/Warrior mix is very slowly regenerating), and Larian doesn't care enough to make us able to go through minions, which would fix most of my problems.

I said include, not make it fully co-op. Not every RPG'er is a loner.
I lol'd at that comment... paraphrasing it reads: Larian your co-ops are awful, so never ever try to make one again because you're bad at it. If that's not your intent, that's how it appears reads.

Larian has announced two potential games. If they both get the green light, why not have co-op in one of them. I support DOOM's position to target a greater base of players. Some people actually prefer social interaction-- no matter how frustrating or humorous it can become.

EDIT: typos. mad typos.

If they both get the green light, why not have co-op in one of them.

Personally I am not a big fan of multi-player games (can be fun, but I don't know anyone outside of this forum with similar tastes in games, or anyone that would match my play schedule for very long), so would prefer Larian invest their resources in other aspects of the game(s). To do co-op right they would basically then be making a third game, or the design of the game with co-op would be limited to things that would work for single player and co-op (which could be the intent, anyway).
Early in development D2:ED had a multi-player component, but that was dropped when it put to many restrictions on quest design, etc.
It's interesting that the person against co-op is against it because of Beyond Divinity. That was not co-op, that was a new take on a party-based game where you control more than one character yourself. I thought that aspect worked pretty well, I enjoyed and I wouldn't mind at all having the option to add someone else to your team. My minions got in my way all the damn time in Divinity II, but they never did in DD or BD. So I would welcome them in a top-down game. 3D OTS games can be so claustrophobic sometimes, immersion be damned.

Actual cooperative multiplayer feature does not interest me, and the reason I am against it (not just neutral) is because its implementation would use up time and resources that could go to other things.
Originally Posted by candlebbq
I lol'd at that comment... paraphrasing it reads: Larian your co-ops are awful, so never ever try to make one again because you're bad at it. If that's not your intent, that's how it appears reads.

Larian has announced two potential games. If they both get the green light, why not have co-op in one of them. I support DOOM's position to target a greater base of players. Some people actually prefer social interaction-- no matter how frustrating or humorous it can become.

EDIT: typos. mad typos.

Two Worlds has co-op/multiplayer. And how did affect the game? badly. TONS of MMO-like cloned quests, randomly-generated landscapes... SRSLY? This is what you want? Play TES/TW2 then.
Wow backlash city. lol. I support the decision of developers to create what they want. Should that be a game with multiplayer-- I would give it a try. I'm not going to prejudge it just because of a predisposition to single player games. Its like telling a developer to stick to RPGs when they want to branch out and make a RTS or edu product. Just because you haven't played a game with decent co-op doesn't mean it isn't possible. In fact I would laud the challenge.
put more french seductive voice actor in this game plz wink

there are 2 female voice actor that delighted me with their sexy voice =]
I don't care what view they use. If the humor and writing is on par it can be a text based game :p.

I just hope the humor will still be there. Maybe a character full of puns (a rare underestimated form of comedy)
Originally Posted by Condor
put more french seductive voice actor in this game plz wink

there are 2 female voice actor that delighted me with their sexy voice =]

How does this relate to the thread?

I understand you can have a thing for the frenchies and want more of them, and I myself do something similiar - I try to encourage Larian to include Elves of both sexes and make them possibly romanceable, but I at least create proper thread or post it in one with suggestions in it.

ELVEEEES.

Anyway, go watch some porn with frenchies. You'll have your seductiveness, I guess? I can't watch a porn with Elves though. :(((

The game would get more attention if Divine Divinity was more known, and it wasn't - probably because of annoying bugs and horrid abomination that is it's title.

But since DKS gets so much praise
bcuz total idiots rather go jump in a well that play awesome games like this
Originally Posted by Careless Azim
bcuz total idiots rather go jump in a well that play awesome games like this

Well that plays awesome games? I'd like to know that well! We had a seductive chest and well with demons, well with tunnel to Mardaneus' house, we had wish-granting well, now it's time for game-playing well!

Put it in suggestion thread. It shall be appreciated as this idea is hilarious and, I have to say, ingenious.
GabeN, I can't comment about Mr. Careless' statements, but the original post by Condor looks to be a mispost or at least a duplicate.

He posted the comment here: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=437008&fpart=2

And it is actually on topic.
So two Divinity games could be released? I'm more interested in the ED - type one.
Originally Posted by Kein
Project A = DD.
Project B = BD.
Project C = ED/DKS.

"Project C" was the original "project name" for "Divine Divinity" (then still "Sword Of Lies").

Interesting, how things evolve ...

I'd even say :

Project A = LED Wars
Project B = LMK
Project C = Sword Of Lies

The rest seems to have been shuffled around a bit. wink

... And the "C" in "Project C" seems to have had different meaning, back then ... wink

Me, I'm rather for the crazy one, of course (so it#D be "Project D"), because I'm alweays rather for creativity". wink

But I still stand by my opinion that the older I become, the more frustrated I become of action games (like action RPGs), and as a result I want more "social role playing".

Drakensang 2 is my very personal "dream game" regarding that. wink
"Project C" was the original "project name" for "Divine Divinity" (then still "Sword Of Lies").

Sure, and there is no place for ED, FOV, DKS. They never have been released, discontinued.

Who says Larian has to always pick single letter, consecutive code names for early development? For all we know there may be different working titles being used internally than what Lar is willing to post publicly at this point.

Rumour was it that the 'C' in Project C stood for cash, since that was what they needed after the publisher went bankrupt during development of LMK, taking the rights to the game with them. In Divine Divinity the 3 gravestones in the bee/wasp world are a tribute to LMK (The Lady, the Mage and the Knight in English, or something else in German that also has the acronym LMK). Marian still has some stuff about LMK on his website.
It could be just E or D, or ED or even DE that I would always be glad.
But if I had to choose, I'd like a E first and then the D would be the cherry on the top.
I think an open wolrd with a top dawn view would be awesome...
Maybe they can make first one, like the project E...and after the D one...O.o
I have to add my appreciation for all the work Larian has done, and hopefully will. DKS was one of the best rpg's I have played in years. I really hope that both of your new projects will see the light of day.
I've played many many hours Divine Divinity (released 2002!), a fantastic addictive RPG with a high repalyability (for me it's a real Masterpiece) in top down view with an open world!!

So, for me first project in top down view with a open world and many more great stuff (many skills, a new feature), mindreading, many side & main quests, great variation in puzzles and hidden items/quests/locatitions/NPC's/etc ... many different kind of loot ... etc etc ...

If possible: later also project D is great to play, especially AFTER E !
OR: only E OR only D, but then: a very BIG world, etc ... !

Project E
I do love to see a top-down perspective Divinity game in the future. I think Divine Divinity is the best game of the series and it would be great to play a Divinity 3 in the future that looks and plays like the first game. Don't get me wrong I like Divinity 2, especially the expansion is great with all its' wonderful quests. But, for me D2 could not give me the freedom feeling that DD have given unfortunately.

DD was the game that made me love the action RPG games. Before DD, I have hated Diablo and all other action RPGs. I had thought playing action RPG's was pointless, time consuming, sillyness, but after the release of Divine Divinity I saw that I had been wrong. DD showed to me a good solid RPG can be played in a isometric action RPG gameplay.

I believe Diablo 3 can bring back the old popularity of the isometric view RPGs. And this time Diablo 3 will give us more roleplay than other game in the series. The fact that they hired Leonard Boyarsky (Fallout concept designer, ex-Troika employee) is the evidence, this time there will be a better construsted world, quests, etc. And this popularity will be able to attract the publishers to this potential and this can be a great opportunity for Larian and its'new isometric Divinity game.

Probably the most wise course of action for Project E is to follow the example of Torchlight or Magicka. I think going with a relatively low budget, getting an agreement with Steam (because releasing in the Steam platform brings the games enough marketing and popularity) and set the game a budget price can be a best course of action for a isometric Divinity game. And maybe Project E can provide some of the cash that required for the Project D.

I do hope we can see the release of both of these projects. Each of them are exciting me much than the other.

Talking about project E, the top-down thing has disadvantages when it comes to immersion, but it makes up in terms of some of the content things we can pull off with it. You can think of E as the original Divinity in a modern jacket augmented with many of the insights we gained over the course of they years and some new things we'd like to try out (with the caveat that those sometimes work, and sometimes don't). It certainly looks nice, and many of the ideas in there fit with what you've all been writing of things you want in our forums. Some don't however; ) I'd really like to show you some early screenshots, but since that would be a first announcement, it'd make it all over the web, and it might cause mis-interpretation which would take a long time to set right, so we'll refrain from that for the moment.

I think there is more immersion in an isometric game than others. When you're playing an isometric game you don't need to struggle with camera controls or such. Because of this you can concentrate only in action and gameplay. And so it's more immersive than other types.

Diablo games' success lies in this. And because of this they chose isometric view in Diablo 3 and Blizzard made the right choice. But, eventually market will determine whether this approach is right or wrong. TPS camera have come from the consoles and unfortunately console games and players dominates the market. So, I don't give much hope for this Project E. I and the others that thinks like me are a minority in this crowd.
Project E sounds interesting, but so does D.... can not wait to see what they will look like and play like
I think I'd have trouble returning to an isometric view at this point, but with a sufficiently good story and fun gameplay (not to mention the trademark humor that made Divinity 2 so awesome), anything is possible.

My two favorite games over the last couple years were Divinity 2 and Dragon Age, and I have to admit that Dragon age took me away for quite a while. I found the companion interactions entirely immersive and compelling--but only in Origins. For me, they took a huge downturn in Awakening and the DLC (apart from the two that were made at the same time as the game), and failed abjectly in DA2, and did every other aspect of the game. I'd like to see more interactions between the PC and NPCs in Divinity games, and interactions with greater depth. That's basically the only area where I can really see room for improvement, and I think to do so would bring more people to Divinity games. It can be a bit lonely, in comparison.

One thing that became obvious when comparing Flames of Vengence and DA2, was that Larian is *much* better at making an action RPG than Bioware. While Bioware virtually threw out the RPG elements that made Origins fun in order to make their version of an action RPG, in fact, threw out almost everything that people liked about the game in totality, Larian manages to keep the RPG feel while amping up the focus on action, and while not dissing their previous products, or the people who enjoyed them. Serious kudos!

All in all, while I'll have to be convinced to buy another Bioware 'RPG', I'll be standing in line to buy the next Divinity project.
After discovering DKS, I never even purchased DA2 - and from what Dracone said, I made the right choice.

I agree human interactions could be improved, it didn't have the same impact as DA-O or the Mass Effect games, but it wasn't too bad, and wasn't really the focus of the game anyway.

Speaking of human interactions, I recently purchased Fable 3 - now they finally had a PC release I thought I'd see what all the fuss was about, especially their much touted interactions.

I spent the first hour or so being able to either shake hands or burp at people, nothing else... Huh! OK, so when I unlocked the necessary interaction 'packs' things improved, but did I really need to spend my hard earned experience learning how to speak? And even with all interactions available, it was about the most pointless thing I'd ever done - choosing which of three buttons to press is not what I call 'interaction' (you always hit 'A' if you wanted to improve things anyway), and the whole relationship thing was stupid - press 'A' until you get a stupid fetch/deliver quest, then press 'A' until you get a stupid date quest, then... Well I gave up at around that point.

So why is the Fable series so popular on the consoles, when there's games like DKS available? One of the great mysteries of marketing I guess.
Yeah, Fable ... pff .. not for me again a big disappointment ! I bougth Fable II, but played it a few hours twice ... just for a few hours ... pff ... not my thing!

I never bought any Dragon Age game, just because it can't take my attention and more: I have no time to play another RPG ... Divinity II hold already for a looooong time my attention and that didn't hurt me, O no ... and it remains also for a long time in the future, I'm sure biggrin

I've bought more RPG's (Oblivion, Risen & more) earlier for my Xbox, but the DKS is now the only RPG I wish to play to the final end !
I do not want to miss a thing of this fantastic Gem !!

I'm hoping we will see/hear the first news on Project D/E during Gamescon in August. *hint, hint* wink
I've a dream I can once play a RPG with Isometric View on a Xbox delight I hope that will be an awesome experience !

Yeah, when are coming some *new* "news-flashes" ? wink

* in other words : new status updates or something like that ?

But the fact that it's very quiet now ... I think the devs are very very bussy with all their projects ! smile
Keep up the good work Larian !! up
I've a dream I can once play a RPG with Isometric View on a Xbox

You can get Torchlight off of XBM. Just go to xbox.com and look for it.

BTW I also would like to give my appreciation for the game. I've been telling all of my friends and colleagues to get the game (unfortunately most are die-hard CODers, but their loss).

In my RPG drought (I decided not to get DA2 because of user reviews, which shows how bad sites like IGN and Metacritic can be at rating how good a game is [I'm off my soap box now]), waiting for TES 4, I decided to go for this despite the lack of ratings and reviews for the game, and I have loved this. Ended up calling in a sick day just to finish it off XD...

I played it on XBox, and while I wish Flames of Vengeance was available as a separate DLC; I understand. I'm seriously debating whether it's worth purchasing DKS for XBox just to be able play the add-on.
Hey thanks opure smile
I never heard of Torchlight before ! Thanks for the tip. I hope I can find this game in store somewhere. It seems to me a beautiful and full of fantasy admosphere smile
This is a must-have for me I think !
While waiting for Diablo III or the new isometric view (= this the same as "top down view"?) project of Larian I can already start with Torchlight to discover which perspective I love most in a RPG, Isometric view or 3D ? But I've the feeling : BOTH as long as that game is a very good RPG!

wink

There is a retail version of Torchlight on PC, at least (see here), but I think just a digital download on Xbox. I tried the demo on the Xbox, but it is cheaper on PC; IIRC it is 1200 points on Xbox, so CAN$17 here (but I would have to buy a $20 card to get it), while the PC digital download is listed as US$15 (sometimes going on sale) and Amazon.ca has the PC disk version for CAN$10.

Isometric is a top down view, but 'top down' is a more general term; isometric refers to a particular camera angle, as used in Diablo, Divine Divinity, etc.
But if torchlight is a recently coming out PC game I'm afraid my PC can't run the game smirk
So if I understand Torchlight isn't there at the stores to buy it? Only via downloading for Xbox?
Worst the pitty ... frown For Xbox I wish a disc & manual to read, not only "virtual", but real paper biggrin

I gonna look, but I'm afraid I must wait for the next Larian project and hoping their isometric view project is coming also on Xbox ... otherwise the only hope rests : Diablo III (if it comes on xbox, I'm not totally sure at this moment ... ).

Thanks Raze for the info about top down and isometric view smile
I just had a look at the sys requirements for Torchlight - there ridiculously low (800MHz, 1GB ram, 256MB grapics). You should be fine Joram, at least as long as your PC was purchased this millennium.

And to be really pedantic, only the original Diablo was isometric (no perspective, basically a 2D view 'faked' to look like it's 3D). Diablo 2 was true 3D with an 'isometric style' camera angle. There, that's my obsessive-comulsive disorder satisfied for now wink
How to avoid forum threads like this one?
Click Lar's latest Status Update hehe

Originally Posted by lynn
How to avoid forum threads like this one?
Click Lar's latest Status Update hehe

Thanks for the vote of confidence to all those who posted on this thread! It's nice to know we're appreciated, even when we make the occasional off-topic comment...
Okay at first to start I'm not a hard fan of RPG games.
I already played one called " mu " back in 1999.
In 2010 I played Tochlight which I am thinking she is excellent, except bugs laugh .
In this year I tryied Risen ( I already added in my blacklist " can't be played even once " totally rubbish!!!! No excuse for such shit. I am sorry even that I spend 2days to play it!
After that I saw in youtube, gameplay videos of Dragon Age, holy shit...( does I have to add a comment? even remining the name Dragon Age makes me to puke..) well I give it a shot around 6 hours not full 6 hours ( around ) and after that, I ask my mate which is hard fan of RPG genrge he recommend me The witcher 2. Yeah great game with great bugs, can't do more than 20-30 fps, if the developer did not solve the fps issue the game will be blacklisted too, becuz of fps issue, otherwise for my 20minutes gameplay the witcher 2 was awesome. Then next move.. I give a shot too on " oblivion " what a open world just I lost my self and after 2 hours of playing I reach some towh called " oblivion " which was the end for me becuz I couldn't go back where I start with the main quest... in 2008 I played a Divinity 2 ED not much but enough to remember it's name. Now after so many played games before 6 days in my brain pop up " divinity 2 ed " and then I give it a shot too.. then I said to my self " if that game sucks too I shall never ever think about going to RPG genre ever! " Well in first minutes I was impressed! Now after 5 days of playing ( minimum 5 hours per day ) I'm not even to the middle. I mean I really like it! Simple game, did not require HUUUUUUUGE expirience, but require lot brain memory laugh to remember where did you get that etc. I can't even wait to see what shall be the final smile after that move on on flame of vengeance.
Keep it up Larian! For non skilled players such me I give it 100 from 10
A friend of mine mentioned this game to me. He is waiting for Skyrim (as am I) and he found DKS. He told me I'd like it, and he described it to me as "Oblivion meets Dragon Age." I took him at his word, as he has never steered me wrong yet, and I was hooked!

This is an amazing game, and it's too bad not many other people have heard about it. I have told others about it, and they are also playing, so maybe word of mouth will help.

I do find it interesting that I've seen as many posts here bashing Oblivion, and DA:O. Dragon Age makes someone want to puke? Can't get back to the main questline of Oblivion? Add these to the other things I've seen about Oblivion, and I'm very confused. Granted, to each their own, but really, DA:O and Oblivion are amazing games, and DKS ranks up there with them, as far as I'm concerned. Just don't understand the hate for Oblivion and DA:O.
Divinity II DKS is awesome game. Ive only recently started playing RPG's and im enjoying them a lot. Thanks Larian Studios for the awesome game laugh (cant wait for Div 3 or Project D :P ) was just wondering if any1 knew games that are similar to Div II DKS which i can try out?
There are very few games wherein you can play a dragon, if this is what you mean.

- "The I Of The Dragon" (never played it)
- "Drakan - Order Of The Flame" (older game now, the graphics don't look as smooth as "modern graphics do now)

You could also try out Divinity 1, of course ! wink

Check out the RPG Chat forum. There are several topics there about the best and worst RPGs, as well as topics about individual games.

Welcome to the forum. wave
Cheers for the help guys smile
Originally Posted by jmcnelis
This is an amazing game, and it's too bad not many other people have heard about it. I have told others about it, and they are also playing, so maybe word of mouth will help.

Of course it helps, plus Larian has Joram (aka Willagar grin ) & myself (AKA kidnapp & burn you while you sleep until you buy DKS) to help enlighten people to the wonder that is DKS.

& welcome to the forums all grin
© Larian Studios forums