Larian Studios
Posted By: Lancet My DKS guide is posted! - 29/04/11 04:25 AM
Well, not the whole thing. It covers DKS through until the end of Sentinel Island. Most of the remaining info from ED is still there, since I'm modifying a copy of my ED guide as I play. I also haven't spellchecked it, so don't judge me too harshly!

Among new features I added is a mission list, detailing the paths through the mission and all (known) possible conclusions (pass or fail), and another subsection of the misc. section that details all choices between unique things (such as Jackal's Ring vs. Clyde's Axe in Method or Madness).

My next project, now that I have a save at the end of Sentinel Island (and before choosing servants or entering the tower) is to catalog the servants and any changes to their status since ED. I heard Jonelath's first quest no longer gives the bonus skill book, for starters.

Anyways, feedback is always appreciated, and hopefully the guide will slowly start to look more organized! I've been busy with other stuff the past two weeks, which is what's held the guide up as long as it has.
Posted By: Axel Re: My DKS guide is posted! - 29/04/11 07:16 AM
Good job, keep it going!
I remember feeling bad for you when we were making all these changes for DKS and you had just finished your ED guide laugh
Posted By: Lancet Re: My DKS guide is posted! - 29/04/11 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by Axel
Good job, keep it going!
I remember feeling bad for you when we were making all these changes for DKS and you had just finished your ED guide laugh

One minor (in comparison to most changes) thing I noticed was you nerfed the enchantment slots on a lot of weapons. Several lost slots. I'm wondering if this means Radcliff's Sword will be valuable when dual-wielding earlier in Ego Draconis, due to the duplication effect of enchantments (both weapons' enchants get applied to both, effectively duplicating them all), assuming that's still present for dual-wielding. Having Increase Damage and Magic Damage + Butcher would give a ton of damage output combined with a ludicrously high critical rate.

As for my ED guide, well, it was always intended to be for that version of the game. And the stand-alone ED version will always exist, even if DKS is superior. Besides, it's interesting enough being able to observe all the minute changes to various things that were made in DKS, due to the amount and quality of observation and testing I need to do for the guide anyways.

Things like my recent breakthrough in understanding the random buffs on equipment and how they worked, which inadvertently reversed the value of the aformentioned Jackal's Ring vs. Eugene's Axe decision. In ED, as a collector, I went with the Axe because skill bonuses (+1 to Confusion on both items) are unique on weapons, whereas they were a gold a dozen on jewelry, thus the Axe was more unique than the Ring. But in DKS, Rings don't get random skill bonuses, and the Axe is completely, utterly outclassed by Ulfmar's Axe (same skill bonus and charm slots and such, but higher base damage), thus making the Ring a superior choice.

As a fledgeling game designer myself, I can appreciate these changes on a higher level than perhaps most people can, although I've studied games and made records of stuff in them since I was a kid.
Posted By: Lynn Re: My DKS guide is posted! - 29/04/11 09:50 AM
Thanks for the hard and excellent work, Lancet!

Ego Draconis and Dragon Knight Saga walkthroughs written by the diligent Lancet!

up
Posted By: Lancet Re: My DKS guide is posted! - 29/04/11 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by lynn

Thanks for the accolades! It means a lot that the actual game developers recognize those who put the energy into guides like mine. It's quite the rare sight in this day and age, and speaks volumes of your character. Rock on smile (as will I with my DKS guide)
Posted By: Macbeth Re: My DKS guide is posted! - 29/04/11 12:09 PM
More to be found here. smile
Posted By: Lar_q Re: My DKS guide is posted! - 29/04/11 02:34 PM
It's a very impressive and surprisingly accurate piece of work - I wished we had something so to the point when we were actually developing the game, it would've helped us a lot.

Very well done Lancet !!!
Posted By: Trippy Re: My DKS guide is posted! - 29/04/11 04:30 PM
Congrats Lancet! I'm planning to use it on my next playthrough to see what secrets I'd missed before. This time I should be able to make the ultimate character smile
Posted By: Lancet Re: My DKS guide is posted! - 30/04/11 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Lar_q
It's a very impressive and surprisingly accurate piece of work - I wished we had something so to the point when we were actually developing the game, it would've helped us a lot.

Very well done Lancet !!!

Thank you! It means a lot to me that the actual developers take notice of my work. I make it a point to ensure everything is as accurate as possible, right down to the exact spelling of things used in-game for the version I play (which is why I switched from Armor to Armour for the DKS guide). After all, like the Island says, excellence is not an act, but a habit.

Although, if you'd had that guide when making the game, that'd be cheating, no? :P
Posted By: cowking Re: My DKS guide is posted! - 31/07/11 01:14 PM
A few minor things I've noticed on my first playthrough.

Originally Posted by Lancet FAQ
Ore veins in DKS seem to work differently than ED. Ore seems to go up to 5
at a time, with gems limited to 0 to 4 of each. 4 gems seems to be even rarer
than it was in ED. More work is needed to better study the properties of ore
veins. Similar to 4 gems, 0 ore is possible, however extremely rare.

I'm playing DKS (1.4.9.70), and apparently it's possible to get 5x gems from a single vein. This was taken today.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Lancet FAQ

Malachite Ore Vein #5: Well Cave
Malachite Ore Vein #6: Well Cave

This is found in the room where Zagan is fought. However, it requires
getting it BEFORE triggering the fight. To reach it, jump along the rocks on
the south side of the large chamber where Zagan is. This is done by going
around the left side of the large dragon skeleton near the entrance. The
jumps can be tricky, but it is possible. Directly south of the large
Hellgate, there will be a large flat rock with two veins that stick out like
a sore thumb on it. This is one of them. Once you trigger the battle with
Zagan, you cannot loot this vein! Be sure not to miss these gems! Be careful
not to look at Vein #6 by accident when looting this one!

You can also loot these veins after killing Zagan. The dragon morph "block" only affects your keyboard hotkey, if you use the Dragon Stone from your inventory menu, you can revert back to human/dragon form in the lair after killing Zagan.
Posted By: Sigs Minock Re: My DKS guide is posted! - 01/08/11 12:34 AM
i think the question was whether or not it was possible to get 5 Malachite Gems out of a Malachite Vein, Sapphires are second teir gems- so it's more likely to find those gems. it's Malachites that are very rare.
Posted By: Lancet Re: My DKS guide is posted! - 01/08/11 08:37 AM
I don't think there are common and rare gems in ore veins, just ore and two gems.
Posted By: Hassat Hunter Re: My DKS guide is posted! - 01/08/11 09:08 AM
I've found 4 malachor gems in a vein once... so... (but yeah, 5 would have been nice ;))
© Larian Studios forums