Larian Studios
Posted By: Flutchman Spinning NPCs - 04/11/09 01:50 PM
Greetings,

first of all, my apologies if this has been asked before. I browsed the stickies, searched the technical help section and couldn't find anything.

A few days ago I bought Divine Divinity through Impulse and I've been running it on Vista ever since. It runs fine for the most part, except a few annoying bugs.

The most annoying one is spinning NPCs. Literally, spinning NPCs. Sometimes it's just a random civilian goofing around, but my first quest has been made unplayable by it today:

When I enter the Church to the Northwest of the graveyard, I get a cutscene with the priest and a monk standing there and ghosts appearing around them. Both the NPCs are spinning around their own axis continuously, and when the monk gets hit by a bolt a pool of blood appears and they keep spinning. I assume that they should react to that bolt, but they don't, which means I'm stuck in the cutscene altogether.

Is this a known problem? I'm going to switch it to compatibility mode right now to see if that helps, but I would appreciate any other input.

Also, on a loosely related note: is the version on Impulse completely patched? I tried downloading the 1.34a patch but it said it couldn't find the game on my HDD. I'm asking this because the patchnotes said that problems have been solved that I still have in my game (like the Verdistis slowdown and the Merchant's Guild Black Market quest bug).

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks in advance for any help.
Posted By: ForkTong Re: Spinning NPCs - 04/11/09 03:14 PM
You don't need to install the patch on GOG/Impulse versions.

The spinning NPC's is a known bug since yesterday or something. Looking into it as soon as we can.
Posted By: lippy Re: Spinning NPCs - 05/11/09 04:07 PM
FYI, I'm having the same problem and I'm running the game on my laptop under WindowsXP. This isn't a Vista issue. No other complaints with the game so far. I've seen the spinning NPC happen elsewhere when I run around an NPC quickly (eg. with shopkeepers that always turn to face you). Once the NPC starts spinning, the game usually crashes. The problem with the occurence in the church is that it happens during the cutscene, so you can't just reload and work around it.
Posted By: DMaarten Re: Spinning NPCs - 08/11/09 09:40 AM
I can confirm the spinning NPC's in the Church to the northwest. Hoping for a patch soon laugh
Posted By: AryzTheFenix Re: Spinning NPCs - 20/11/09 01:35 AM
Mine goes one step further and completely dumps me out of the game when he gets hit. This is a repeatable issue.

I also get something similar (without the spinning NPCs) down in the orc camp. When the casting Orc (can't think of his name - but he does have a specific name and "stops" you with a cutscene briefly before coming out of his tent and attacking) casts some sort of magic bolt spell at me it immediately dumps me out of the game. This is repeatable as well...
Posted By: AryzTheFenix Re: Spinning NPCs - 21/11/09 08:32 PM
Maybe this will help with bug fixes. If I set the div.exe to Win XP SP2 compatible mode the game no longer crashes there and I get the same results as Flutchman.

I solved the Orc leader issue by Freezing him and killing him before he could crash my game smile

Now I'm in the sewers of Verdistis and the game is crashing to desktop quite frequently frown
Posted By: AryzTheFenix Re: Spinning NPCs - 21/11/09 08:34 PM
Oh, I forgot, when I had the Win XP SP2 compatibility going, the game was pretty choppy and overall didn't play well so I took it off.

FYI - I'm running Win7 on an i7-860 with 4GB RAM and an XFX Radeon 5850, so I doubt the hardware is an issue...
Posted By: Bedwyr Re: Spinning NPCs - 22/11/09 02:50 AM
5th'd on the spinning behavior. 2nd'd on the CTD behavior in the NW church. Impulse. Win 7 on an 8800gts Nvidia card. 6gb ram.
Posted By: Shunmaha Re: Spinning NPCs - 22/11/09 09:03 PM
I have that too. And so i just ignored it, went on the Elf council quest where you follow those dwarves into a cave. Whenever I go into the most bottom floor I crash. Became unplayable and stopped playing.

Impulse version, Windows vista 32bit homepremium.
Posted By: Arlong Re: Spinning NPCs - 12/12/09 07:33 AM
Same Issue just got Game off of Impulse.
Many crashes always some graphic issue w/ Div.exe
I have the Latest Nvidia drivers as I keep this Pc up to date often as its also my Older Work/Home Acad Workstation. 3.7EE 4gigs ram. Nvidia Quadro 5600

I tried to even lowering game resolution to lowest settings vs max and same result.

Note's
I have noticed if the NPC, start to spin I imidiatly do a quicksave soon after game crashes.

Not to often but I hear a Sound Squelch as if there were outside interferance from the soundcard to speakers then the game also crashes shortly after.

No issues with killing Monsters except the Big Orc Boss, He crashed me 4-5 times then I caged him and resolveded the crashing.

Posted By: Liquid Wolf Re: Spinning NPCs - 26/12/09 05:06 PM
Hello, new to these forums and came because I am experiencing the spinning issue with the npc's in the church above the abbey.

The ghosts appear, attack the monk, and then it stays there because the priest NPC just doesn't want to go anywhere.

Unable to do anything except reload the game.

Using a Macbook Pro 15 inch with Windows 7 on it.

Running in compatibility mode allows me to get stuck at the spinning priest.

Not running in compatibility mode causes the game to crash as soon as the monk is attacked.
Posted By: stubbie Re: Spinning NPCs - 26/12/09 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Arlong
Same Issue just got Game off of Impulse.
Not to often but I hear a Sound Squelch as if there were outside interferance from the soundcard to speakers then the game also crashes shortly after.

Same here, just got the game from Impulse.
I also hear the sound squelch you mentioned. In my case I get two random squelches together at a time.

I have only played for a couple of hours so I haven't run into the other problems mentioned...yet.

Windoze XP
ATI HD4870
SB X-Fi Xtreme audio card
Posted By: William Dolfski Re: Spinning NPCs - 10/01/10 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by AryzTheFenix
Mine goes one step further and completely dumps me out of the game when he gets hit. This is a repeatable issue.

Same for me.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.0 GHz
3 GHz RAM
ATI Radeon X1250
Vista 32 Home Professional
Posted By: Raze Re: Spinning NPCs - 10/01/10 11:59 PM

Presumably there should be a patch for the downloadable versions soon. KnightPT quoted Lar in the D2:ED 'next patch' topic, who said a couple days ago in an RPGWatch forum (among other things) "DivDiv remaster - the digital distribution versions have been updated to handle the issues that were reported."
Posted By: stubbie Re: Spinning NPCs - 12/01/10 11:19 AM
Thank you for the update Raze but it leaves me a bit confused.

the digital distribution versions have been updated to handle the issues that were reported

this sounds to me like the digital versions are not supposed to have these problems any more, though we know that is not the case.
It doesn't sound to me like a patch is forthcoming at all.

Could you post a linky to the quote. Perhaps it needs to be read in context.
Posted By: flixerflax Re: Spinning NPCs - 12/01/10 05:39 PM
I've read that quote too. The spinning problem didn't exist before the digital distribution, so I'm pretty sure that quote refers to the new version being updated. So I guess maybe I should re-download the installation from Good Old Games? There's definitely no patch available.
Posted By: Raze Re: Spinning NPCs - 12/01/10 07:09 PM

The digital distributors are apparently still testing the updates, so a patch should be available soon/eventually. What I quoted was the entire section pertaining to DD; the rest was about D2:ED and its demo (see here).
Posted By: stubbie Re: Spinning NPCs - 22/01/10 10:31 PM
Well I also just got the spinning npc bug in the Church.
Oh sure I can just ignore this part but that is a pretty lame way to overcome this bug.
I have the Impulse version.

It sure is taking a long time to get these bugs fixed.
Why release a digital version of the game with game stoppers like this. The original cd version (which I also have) didn't have them.
Its almost like stealing money from people.
Posted By: flixerflax Re: Spinning NPCs - 22/01/10 10:33 PM
Yeah if I hadn't already played this game 800 times I would be a very disgruntled customer. Who knew that changing the code a little to accommodate higher resolutions would cause so many killer bugs?
© Larian Studios forums