Larian Studios
Posted By: okaba00 Having issues with lighting in indoor areas - 12/04/20 01:01 AM
I’ve been playing Divine Divinity for the first time for probably over 20 hours over the last few weeks with no issues. When I loaded the game today and went inside of a building, dungeon, cave, etc. the area is completely black except for some silhouette of myself and objects. If I go into an area that has a light source (such as a torch on the wall) it lights up the area with limited effect so I can see somewhat. As in the area of effect of the light source will light up some things, while others are still pitch black and remaining in a silhouette as if there was no light source there at all. I’ve been googling this for a little while and looking through old forum posts. It seems like some people have had the same issue over the years and there have been some things that they have tried that works for them, but all the suggestions they have that I’ve tried hasn’t fixed it on my end. I’m going to list everything I’ve tried so far and will add a couple of screen shots. If anyone knows of anything that can help, that would be greatly appreciated.

- Bought the game on GOG
- Running game version 1.0062A
- Manually checked GOG to see if there were any updates, there was not.
- Updated my drivers, did not fix it
- In the settings, I turned on AlphaBit, did not fix it
- In the settings, I turned on software mode instead of Direct3D, did not fix it
- Turned my computer off and on again, did not fix it
- I completely uninstalled the game and then reinstalled it, did not fix it
- loaded an old save where I know the lighting was working fine, the old saves were now having the same issues
- Someone suggested editing the config.div file and changing the memory limit 32 to 64, did not fix it
- Tried running it in compatibility mode of both Windows XP and 7, did not fix it

Here’s an image where there is no light source
https://imgur.com/a/S0XuuIC

Here’s an image where there is a light source
https://imgur.com/a/wHwuYlF
Posted By: Raze Re: Having issues with lighting in indoor areas - 12/04/20 01:33 AM

Is this a problem outdoors at night, as well?

Try lowering the game resolution, and see if that makes a difference.

Try the Windows 8 Performance "Patch" (works in Win 7 and 10, as well); that can help with some graphics issues.

In the Divine Divinity install folder, edit the config.div file (in Notepad, or other text editor) and add/edit the line 'rgb 555' and change the number to something else, like 565. If the line isn't there, go into the graphics options and change the gamma, or something, and it should be added, or you can do so manually (just not as the last line in the file, as the game expects that line to be blank, and ignores it).

Try using the disk version of the configuration program, to set the game to run in Direct Draw mode. Rename or move the existing configtool.exe and NlsEng.dll files in the install folder, and extract the disk versions from this zip file.
Note that this will reset the game resolution to what the disk version supported, but you can manually change it back by editing the config.div file.

You could also try WineD3D, rather than Direct3D

Graphical Issue, Indoor textures turning black?

Software/Direct 3D Issues
- The problem also affect outside at night as well
- Lowered the resolution, did not fix it
- Changed rgb to 565, did not fix it
- Tried Windows 8 Performance "Patch", did not fix it
- Tried disk version, did not fix it
- Tried WineD3D, did not fix it
Posted By: Raze Re: Having issues with lighting in indoor areas - 12/04/20 05:27 AM

Maybe try the game in windowed mode: [Info] Debug Mode - Better FPS + Windowed Mode

Here is a link for an edited version of the div.exe file (1.0062).
© Larian Studios forums