Larian Studios
Posted By: salad10203 For those of you with graphical problems. - 06/11/10 10:02 PM
I have already put in about 10 hours and messed around with the tweaks. I have a 280 gtx, q9550, Win7 64 bit, 1920 x 1080. I am able to put graphics on Extreme and turn off "Use interface in Desktop Resolution). Turn on V-Sync and everything else can be turned on. I do not have the timeslice features on. With these settigns I am virtually stutter free and it makes for some pleasing graphics. Unforunately the 30fps cap is noticeable but only slightly and I quickly forgot about it.

Other than that, I am truly impressed so far. Great music, great combat, many items with the best RPG talents I've seen. For those of you with sli 480 gtxs the fps cap might be unbearable, but inspite of those problems, I still think its a great RPG and I am having alot of fun. Also, considering how far I am in the game (with sidequests and stuff) i really do think this is 100+ hours. Also, although Extreme functions I am playing on High or medium presents for the smoothest experience.

Add your comments and results with tweaking settings.

I want to mod the camera so it can have more of a tps feel as well, but haven't looked into it yet.
Hi, I am running on Extreme (1900x1200) and the best tweak for a smooth framerate is to tick the "Timeslice Shadow Update". This effects the movement of shadows on the ground from the trees etc.
According to Evga Precision this setting saves around 10-20% usage from the card.
Ok, I just ran into another problem. BTW the Timeslice Shadow Update did help, thx. But now when i start it up it starts in sort of a psuedo windowed mode where the program takes up all the screen but the game has black borders so its only using about 3/4th of my monitor. I checked the res and its all good, anyone had this as well?
Posted By: Raze Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 07/11/10 04:28 AM

I don't recall anyone else describing this issue.

Did you change the resolution? Trying a lower resolution and switching back might reset whatever the problem is, or a different resolution may work properly.

In Windows Explorer, try browsing to the folder below, open the 'graphicoptions.xml' file in Notepad (or other text editor) and make sure the proper resolution is listed. You could also delete the file, so the game would recreate it the next startup (though you would have to re-do your setting tweaks).

XP
C:\Documents and Settings\ %username% \Local Settings\Application Data\Divinity 2\Profile

Vista/7
C:\Users\ %username% \AppData\Local\Divinity 2\Profile
Posted By: Paris Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 07/11/10 06:07 AM
I would suppose I am lucky in the fact that I just switch on extreme graphics, the only setting I then change is to switch off the HDR thing, I don't like the glare effect that causes.
Posted By: LUKI Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 07/11/10 07:49 AM
If someone is saying - game is working great - please post your PC specs here. From what I see most users here have overpowered PC so it's not suprise that DKS is working perfect. I'm looking for gamers with lower PC specs(is DKS engine fixed for weaker PC's?).
Hi,

I'm trying to play the game on medium settings, but the stuttering is too much then. Even when I set everything on low, the game is still stuttering. If I look at the system requirements, the game should be able to run smooth on at least medium settings. I tried the things you guys said here, it helped a bit but really not enough

Im playing on a laptop with these specs:

Windows 7 64 bits
CPU intel core i3-330M @ 2.13GHz
VGA ATI Radeon HD5470 Park XT with 1 GB
DDR3 VRAM 2GB*2; 3.8 GB RAM
1366x768

Is it my laptop that isnt good enough? Or does anyone has ideas how to improve the playability?

thx

Posted By: LUKI Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 09/11/10 03:59 PM
Well I have just tried DKS and it's still stuttering so no engine improvements in terms of performance at all.... frown
I have stable 30FPS all the time.

my pc:
AMD X2 6000+ 3.0ghz
2GB RAM
Gigabyte GF GTX460 1GB OC
WIN XP SP2

It's a shame that Larian has gamers in....
Check out the new thread http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=424718#Post424718
Which allows users to mess around with some config files along with some performance fixes.
Hey! I totally agree with you that this game is pure fun. One of the best RPGs out there IMO. It's nothing like the empty shells of NA RPGs. It got lots of flavor, immense world to explore, some funny and weird humor too, I love it!

About the performances, my rig:
- Win7 Pro 64bits
- Phenom II X4 @ 3.48GHx
- 4gb DDR2-800
- XFX HD 6850 @850/1150 (latest 10.10d hitfix drivers)
- 1920x1080

I can run the game with EVERY options turned ON (plus having EVERY quality settings turned on in the CCC) and it's butter smooth...well 30FPS butter smooth hahah!

I'm gonna try something tonight though. I'll turn off HDR and force AA in the CCC and see how it look and play.
Posted By: LUKI Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 09/11/10 05:29 PM
I've tried DKS with this hotfix. I have 30FPS all the time or more but area stuttering is still there. My hero is running and fighting smooth, the same during dialogues, just surrounding is hurting eyes... frown
Originally Posted by LUKI
I've tried DKS with this hotfix. I have 30FPS all the time or more but area stuttering is still there. My hero is running and fighting smooth, the same during dialogues, just surrounding is hurting eyes... frown

You understood that you actualy have to edit a file and replace some values in it (as explained in the hotfix thread), just downloading and aplying the hotfix wont solve everything in all situations, right?

Had to ask, dont be offended.

Posted By: LUKI Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 09/11/10 05:37 PM
Yeah I know that. I've changed in In config.xml:
MaxEngineFPS: to 60 and turned vsync off(with turned on I tried too)
and
LockStepMode: to 1
Still no changes. Looks like area textures are loading with delay because game has max set FPS rate all the time, character animation is smooth, just surroundings stuttering is annoying(it's not huge but it hurts eyes)
Posted By: mikes Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 09/11/10 06:01 PM
this has been an issue for nearly a year (game was originally rls'd in jan) and its still not fixed. all you people have done is clamped the fps, which STILL didn't fix it for everyone. oh, then people b&m so you get rid of the clamp, problem STILL not fixed. all that did was get rid of the half-assed attempt, 2 steps backwards 1 step forward
Posted By: Lar_q Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 09/11/10 06:40 PM
Exposing the configuration settings is not a magical fix but it will help some people who have problems which is why we released it, and it does remove the cap for those who don't want it.

I would like to say that we did do significantly more than just clamp the fps, but I can sympathize that if it doesn't help you, that doesn't mean anything. So we are continuing to look for solutions and have several people working on the issue. We have code running internally that looks like it improves issues on those systems where the problem occurs, but it's not stable yet so we can't release it for the moment.
Thank you Lar_q for your input. Its both reassuring and encouraging to know that you guys aknowledge the problem and work on a solution! You guys are doing an awesome job over at Larian smile
Originally Posted by Lar_q
Exposing the configuration settings is not a magical fix but it will help some people who have problems which is why we released it, and it does remove the cap for those who don't want it.

I would like to say that we did do significantly more than just clamp the fps, but I can sympathize that if it doesn't help you, that doesn't mean anything. So we are continuing to look for solutions and have several people working on the issue. We have code running internally that looks like it improves issues on those systems where the problem occurs, but it's not stable yet so we can't release it for the moment.

even your words are gold,because we know you guys are working on the problem.

oh and btw: disable multicore because i noticed that 1 core gets a lot data why other cores get almost nothing. when you disable it the game actualy wont stutter anymore. 1 core will be processing all the data and the game keeps running on a steady fps.

but somebody has to test if it makes a difference on other pc's.
Posted By: LUKI Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 09/11/10 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Lar_q

If you said clearly - game's engine was remastered and it includes Ego Draconis which was released over 1 year ago and it's still suffering to micro stuttering then you're telling us that you will fix it in a few days? You've got to be kidding...
This game is one of the worst optimized ever made!! Sad because I really wanted to finish this (it's story is quite interesting but stuttering is making my eyes hurt.)
Posted By: mikes Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 09/11/10 08:25 PM
any potential ETA for this miracle fix? i'd love to see this still, even though its 10 months later
Posted By: Raze Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 09/11/10 08:29 PM

Where did he say they would fix it in a few days? What makes you think they only just started looking at this issue?
Posted By: LUKI Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 09/11/10 08:37 PM
If they couldn't fix it since Ego Draconis then this game needs to change engine completly to make it playable...
Posted By: mikes Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 09/11/10 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Raze

Where did he say they would fix it in a few days? What makes you think they only just started looking at this issue?

where did i say i expected a release in a couple days? eta = estimated time of arrival, not COOL RELEASE TOMORROW! and no where did i say i thought they just started, but 10 months with an issue a fair group of people have is not cool
Posted By: Gwenio Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 09/11/10 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by mikes

where did i say i expected a release in a couple days? eta = estimated time of arrival, not COOL RELEASE TOMORROW! and no where did i say i thought they just started, but 10 months with an issue a fair group of people have is not cool

He was replying to the post above yours... (which is why I have taken to quoting something from posts I am replying to on all forums)
Posted By: mikes Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 09/11/10 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Gwenio

He was replying to the post above yours... (which is why I have taken to quoting something from posts I am replying to on all forums)

go back to his post and check the re:mikes part :]
Posted By: Gwenio Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 09/11/10 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Gwenio

go back to his post and check the re:mikes part :]

The quick reply seems to target the latest post, I assume he used that.
Posted By: Raze Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 09/11/10 11:06 PM

Sorry for the confusion, but I was relying to Luki, and that is shown in my post ([Re: LUKI]). I would have quoted something, but when I opened the topic, Mikes had not posted yet, and I may not have checked for new posts before I made my reply.
Hey folks,

I'm not sure if this has ever been posted elsewhere or if I'm the only person to have this issue but...

I started up the Dragon Knight Saga for the first time last night and set my display options to custom.

I had everything checked except Lockstep Mode and Timeslice Animation Update.

My resolution was 1680x1050(native resolution for my 22" monitor).

I started the game and the intro movie played fine...but when I got to the character screen, only the interface was visible. Only very distorted graphics were visible in the background. The screen was pink and blue and I could only barely see what looked like my character's head off to one side. Everything else was a mess.

I tried changing various settings like AA, Timeslice, anisotrophic filtering and detail level. Nothing helped. Finally I dropped my resolution to 1024x768 and the display no longer came up distorted. I tried other resolutions but that was the only one that would work.

Finally, I unchecked the box User Interface in Desktop Resolution, and the game came up fine. I've since set all my settings back to max(shadows at medium) and the game displays fine.

My specs are: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200, 4GB of RAM, Geforce GTX 260 and Windows XP Service Pack 2

nVidia driver version 197.45

I'm not sure why unchecking that box would make a difference. My desktop resolution is the same as my game resolution so there should be no problem with this.
Could my computer run this game well?

CPU- AMD Turion X2 Ultra Duo-Core Mobile ZM-85 2.4 Ghz
RAM- 4 Gigs
GPU- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530 Series (512 MB)
Posted By: Lar_q Re: For those of you with graphical problems. - 23/12/10 08:14 AM
@Slashman - you should get the beta patches for DKS (they'll be upgraded to official today I think). Most likely your problem will be solved then.

@XXGreenYxX: A demo will be out shortly (I hope this week) so you'll be able to try it first.
I'm having a bit of trouble with getting the game to render properly, for me cutscenes are all fine, but during the game itself I cannot see the menus - it comes out as pixelated colour bits but partially rendered. but the background/scenery/characters all look fine, just can't read the menus and hence can't play frown for example i try to look at my inventory, i can see the tabs on the top for equipment i guess, and see my equips but cant actually see any ok/accept buttons on the bottom and the text is unreadable

according to the minimum requirements it says ATI Radeon 1600 or higher, mine is ATI Radeon 1700 (512MB)
using 1024 x 768 in game i think
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz

is there any solution or driver to download or any settings i can tweak, short of buying a new graphics card? :o
Shadowfrost, have you installed the latest patch?
I think I have, as I bought the game off Steam yesterday (christmas day!) and I think Steam should have auto updated it like it does for other games, but I'm not sure. Is there a way to check?

I tried playing it on my sister's maxed out computer and it works perfectly fine, so I'm pretty sure its from my graphics card being too old
© Larian Studios forums