Larian Studios
Posted By: joh Game crashes after opening cinematic - 06/01/11 09:33 AM
I have the steam edition of DKS. Whenever I click on new game i get progress up to the opening cinematic (guy running up to the dragon). Then i get a weird noise and the game crashes. I get this error msg:

AppName: divinity2.exe AppVer: 1.4.9.70 ModName: divinity2.exe
ModVer: 1.4.9.70 Offset: 0074e7c9

Posted By: ava Re: Game crashes after opening cinematic - 06/01/11 10:48 AM
Please create a report with our support tool and send it to support@larian.com

Are you running any sound programs, anti virus or other software in the background?
Posted By: joh Re: Game crashes after opening cinematic - 06/01/11 05:12 PM
I am running AVG and Steam. Will send the report to support shortly. Thx in advance.
Posted By: ava Re: Game crashes after opening cinematic - 07/01/11 07:36 AM
I see that your video driver is not up to date, start with that, if the crash persists, send a screenshot of all crash dialogs that you get to support. Thanks.
Posted By: joh Re: Game crashes after opening cinematic - 07/01/11 10:25 AM
Now the game crashes shortly after the logo screen after working once. I have sent an email to support.

Edit:

Some more information. When the game did work that one time, the graphics were jaggy and rather ugly despite being on high textures + screen space AA (it kind of looked like it was on software mode). I also detected a very noticeable delay between pressing space bar and jumping. Walking animation was also very stuttery even tho I had turned off that setting that updated animations less frequently.
Posted By: ava Re: Game crashes after opening cinematic - 10/01/11 12:47 PM
You can try the Direct Show Filter manager. Restore the directx codecs with it (in the 'Troubleshooting' tab) and/or remove suspicious codecs.

It certainly helped people in this thread.
Posted By: joh Re: Game crashes after opening cinematic - 20/01/11 03:11 PM
Sorry for the late reply: i uninstalled the game due to space issues and i am currently re-installing; will let you know if it works.
Posted By: joh Re: Game crashes after opening cinematic - 20/01/11 08:37 PM
Hi, I am pleased to say that i have solved the issue. The direct show filter solution didn't help me. However, I recalled that the game worked fine until i changed resolution (from 1024x768 to 1280x960) so I went to local settings/app data/divinity2 and manually changed the resolution in the graphic options xml. Thereafter the game worked. I suspect either a memory issue OR the game is liable to crashing when the resolution is not supported by the user's monitor (i saw a black bar at the right side of the screen during the loading screen). Anyway thanks for the extensive troubleshooting.
Posted By: ava Re: Game crashes after opening cinematic - 21/01/11 07:34 AM
You did install the latest patch? Since the issue you speak of should be fixed in the latest version.
Posted By: joh Re: Game crashes after opening cinematic - 23/01/11 07:12 PM
I have the steam version of the game with auto-update enabled, so i assume i'm at the latest version. Maybe the latest update hasn't been distributed on Steam yet.
© Larian Studios forums