Larian Studios
Posted By: Sigwald Zagan tips - 16/08/11 08:42 PM
Zagan and his flying pals are kicking my ass badly, any suggestion on how to win this? The cave is very cramped so really tough to avoid all their attacks...
Posted By: Raze Re: Zagan tips - 16/08/11 08:56 PM

If you head to the exit passage right away (look for a blue light near the top of the cavern), where you will automatically transform back into human form, and can then save and not have to redo the cutscene if you die. From there you can jump back into the cavern, attack and retreat repeatedly. While healing in human form, you can enabling target lock (on the Xbox hold the left trigger down); I was able to kill several demons with my bow that way, after they flew up to the passage (though if they don't stay close very long they can easily fly out of range).

Being a higher level helps a bit. Lowering the difficulty setting might help, though not a lot in this case.

From another topic:
Zagan himself wasn't terribly difficult to defeat [at level 25], but the rest of the opponents in there were a pain. It would be easy with more space, but if you loose track of where you are going or bump into something and stop moving, that is likely to prove fatal. I tried repeatedly heading to the exit cave to transform back to human, but returning for hit and run attacks wasn't doing damage fast enough (by the time I finished the transformation animation there could be 2 or 3 opponents shooting at me, and maybe 1 or 2 casting Dragon Sphere). I tried making a couple runs at the nest tower, but the first time I stayed too long finishing it off with Dragon Breath, and died shortly after it did. The second run I broke away sooner, but got caught up on something and couldn't move for a second, so I died.
I reloaded my save before triggering the cutscene with Zagan, and will go back later to finish everyone off.
[At level 35] it was easier, but still a bit of a pain. I used pretty much the same technique as before, concentrating on getting the number of flying opponents down first, to allow a run at a nest. Apparently clearing the fortresses was good practice, as I rarely got hung up on obstructions, etc. I still had a bit of a problem trying to target specific opponents, where pausing the using the right stick could, for example, cycle between demons above me, when I was flying directly towards a nest (and was a lot closer to the nest than the demons). In these cases unpausing and getting a little closer would generally allow me to target what I wanted, though the delay could help my opponents.
For the opponents in Zagan's cave, I seemed to make faster progress getting a Firesphere off and then returning to the exit passage right away, healing when necessary (usually the case, since often there was an attack directed at me before I finished transforming), and then jumping back into the cavern. Trying to fly around in such a small space and get a few attacks in was more trouble than help (though I didn't do much of that when I went back at the higher level; just attacks of opportunity returning from going after the nests).
Posted By: Sigwald Re: Zagan tips - 16/08/11 09:10 PM
Thanks for the fast answer. I see it is not completely illogical I'm having trouble, seems I'm not the only one. Will try your advice.
Posted By: Joram Re: Zagan tips - 18/08/11 07:06 AM
Seems ?
Sure you're not the only one that have problems with Zagan !
I hated that monster of a Zagan !! Aaaarggg ... away with you, stupid Zagan !
:hihi:

But don't give up! After killing Zagan, you can find really nice loot, so it's worth the effort
wink
Posted By: Sigwald Re: Zagan tips - 18/08/11 04:36 PM
Followed Raze's advice and worked fine. I rushed to the nest, firebreathed them to death and went over to the exit to switch to human form to heal. After that I managed to kill the flying things without too much issues after all.
Posted By: serutan Re: Zagan tips - 19/08/11 04:32 AM

I think it's key to destroy the nests right away. Otherwise enough demons spawn to
tear you a new one in a hurry.
Posted By: Silverdragon Re: Zagan tips - 20/08/11 08:49 PM
The power of the dragon is maneuverability - you do not have that in this cave. So serutan is correct, the key is to destroy the nest(s) as fast as you can. It's still a hard fight then but it at least becomes survivable (even without the "being able to save" trick mentioned above).

Levels (and more dragon powers) help a lot as well.
Posted By: lopezscott Re: Zagan tips - 10/09/11 06:07 AM
Hey even I just hate that Zagan!! But thanks for this suggestion!! I will definitely look forward to it!!
Posted By: Divine Avenger Re: Zagan tips - 10/09/11 06:39 AM
If your playing the Xbox version you can save if you take your human form, I did. I took out both nests & Zagan then I saved & focused on taking out all the demons that spawnd. A good way to do it if too many demons spawn is to stay down near were you start, then when your healthget's low you switch to human form & heal. Switch back to dragon form & hurl a few more attacks there way. Keep doing this untill there all dead, I noticed that if you stay in the starting area only 1 or 2 demons will actually focus on you. This allows you to hurl fireballs at the nest to take them out with minimum loss to your health rather than all out assult & instant death.
Posted By: Agrona Re: Zagan tips - 21/09/11 05:55 PM
The first time I killed Zagan I got my butt handed to me numerous times. However, during my current play through, I just summoned a friend, then concentrated on Zagan. I hit him a few times, flew to the cave opening and transformed into a human. In the same instance I got the message that Zagan is dead. Everything happened so fast, I was like huh? LOL I had to re-load the game to believe it.

I was like I'm missing something! I didn't destroy any nests and didn't kill any of the other bosses. Zagan is rather weak if you hit him a few times. (playing on Normal setting).

If an area gives you too much grief and you are too frustrated, no harm in turning the difficulty down to casual. wink
Posted By: Gulash93 Re: Zagan tips - 02/10/11 03:45 PM
somebody can tell me where I find the up&down button of the elevator in the cave of Zagan? thanks
Posted By: Lucreel Re: Zagan tips - 10/10/11 04:41 PM
Gulash93: It's not obvious - I had to puzzle over this for a couple minutes myself.

When you first get to the elevator at the "top level", you have to get on the elevator, then click on the lever which is outside the elevator (I thought that lever was just to call the elevator if, e.g. you went down, then used your stone to 'port back to your tower, then took the shrine to High Hall, and walked back down, and discovered the elevator was still at the bottom).

You'll go down a level, then there'll be another lever, but that one doesn't take you down again - you have to fight your way through the second level of the cave to retrieve a missing lever, which you have to install in an empty 'socket' by the elevator, to go down to the third level.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: Grim Re: Zagan tips - 10/08/12 10:26 PM
It seems that Zagan is a lot more difficult in DKS. For those who are really stuck killing Zagan I found a relatively easy way to do it. It still takes a bit of work though:
Watch your health bar closely and use the Battle Tower menu to move back and forth between your tower (for healing) and the battle with Zagan. The monsters will not heal while you teleport back to your tower, so when you teleport back to the battle, just continue where you left off. Make sure you knock off the spawning nests first, and save before you leave your tower each time.
Posted By: Raze Re: Zagan tips - 10/08/12 11:56 PM

It seems that Zagan is a lot more difficult in DKS.

Yes, in D2:ED I was a high enough level (don't recall exactly, but I went to High Hall before the harbour, etc, and finished the well cave after the other quests there) that I could just hover where I started and use Firesphere / Firebreath to take everything out.
© Larian Studios forums