Larian Studios
Posted By: RedDragonKnight timeline? - 23/09/11 07:43 AM
where in the timeline does dragon commander take place? during the demon war? during the great war? or after the events of DKS? if the last is the case will there be interactions with zandalor and lucian? and will The dragon knight from DKS be there as well.
Posted By: Joram Re: timeline? - 23/09/11 08:05 AM
It takes places during the time of Maxos, the Dragon Knight, so before DKS wink
Posted By: WotanAnubis Re: timeline? - 23/09/11 08:30 AM
I wonder...

Will it take place during the time of Maxos, or will it take place just after Maxos disappeared? Let's face it, Maxos, as the progenitor of the Dragon Knights, might have been to wield some influence and force some kind of peace between them if only because he's the man on top. However, since all (or nearly all) the Dragon Knights are fighting each other for dominance, it would seem to me that Maxos has gone and now the Dragon Knights are struggling to fill the sudden vacuum of power.

This is all just speculation, though.

But in any event, yes, it all takes place long, long ago.
Posted By: RedDragonKnight Re: timeline? - 23/09/11 10:52 AM
you made a common mistake there maxos was 'not' the progenitor of the dragon knights, he was merely the most powerful of them ever to have come into being [before perhaps, the dragon knight pc in DKS] respected by dragons he was given the power to make other dragon knights, a gift they had never before, or since, bestowed...in theory The dragon knight could now do this too since the power is in the dragon stone to do so, he would however have to get patriarch or another true dragon to explain how.

also if my understanding of the timeline is correct if it takes place during the time of maxos then it is 'before' even the divine divinty game cause as i understand it maxos disappeared a few hundred years before then.
Posted By: WotanAnubis Re: timeline? - 23/09/11 10:59 AM
Really? Hmm.

But then, how did the first Dragon Knights become the first Dragon Knights? And who was the very first Dragon Knight if not Maxos?
Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: timeline? - 23/09/11 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Joram

Correct into : "so before Divinity 1".

I assume it might be hundreds or even thousands before Divinity 1.
Posted By: Macbeth Re: timeline? - 23/09/11 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by RedDragonKnight
you made a common mistake there maxos was 'not' the progenitor of the dragon knights, he was merely the most powerful of them ever to have come into being

Not quite. He was never a Dragon Knight, but a wizard so powerful and wize that dragons gave him the power to make others Dragon Knights. Before that, only dragons could make someone a Dragon Knight.
Posted By: RedDragonKnight Re: timeline? - 23/09/11 06:16 PM
If you were not a mod, id argue the point, but the larian studious tag under your name leads me to assume youd know better then me on this issue....though honestly, the statues and comments, and his tittle 'the dragon mage' lead me to think otherwise...but as i said...mod=probably knows better then me
also to wotan, dragon knights themselves predated maxos by several thousand years as i think, they had existed since dragons first came into contact with man, primarily they were originally created less as the grandiose warriors they became later and more as a means of communicating to the lesser race of man, a giant flying fire breathing reptile landing in ones village is going to cause some serious panic, but a seemingly normal human walking in...not so much.
the dragons i think, were nothing if not practical after all
Posted By: Demonic Re: timeline? - 25/09/11 07:17 PM
Macbeth works for Larian. He's the writer (right Macbeth?). Maxos is called the dragon mage simply because the dragons gave him great powers, knowledge and wisdom. I don't believe it was ever hinted that he became a dragon knight himself.
Posted By: Macbeth Re: timeline? - 26/09/11 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by Demonic
Macbeth works for Larian. He's the writer (right Macbeth?).

Indeed. meh
Posted By: Joram Re: timeline? - 26/09/11 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Joram

Sorry I gave false info aargh !

Back in the time I was in school,
I prefer to make my own fantasy rule
I was not fine with "history",
It remains mostly a mystery.
:hihi:
Posted By: Farflame Re: timeline? - 26/09/11 09:53 AM
Dont play too much with Dragon Knight
or Maxos will teach you its not right
:hihi:

------
Do you know some source of chronology or summary of events in Divinity universe? I dont mean summary of stories in RPG games, but whole known timeline. Some lore source. Is there something like that?

Posted By: AlrikFassbauer Re: timeline? - 26/09/11 10:45 AM
If you look out for background info, then go deep, deep deep into the oldest threads this forum has to provide - within the Divinity 1 sub-boards.

There would be perhaps even more in the Old Forum - but that's lost as far as I know.

You could also look through the topics I created myself, because I was always interested in the background lore of the first Divinity game, and collected and speculated a little bit.

But that's all sooo long ago that I'm not even sure anymore if there is anything left ... Barnabus and Kiya could be names you might chck as well ...
Posted By: Divine Avenger Re: timeline? - 02/10/11 02:56 AM
If you were not a mod, id argue the point, but the larian studious tag under your name leads me to assume youd know better then me on this issue....though honestly, the statues and comments, and his tittle 'the dragon mage' lead me to think otherwise...but as i said...mod=probably knows better then me
also to wotan, dragon knights themselves predated maxos by several thousand years as i think, they had existed since dragons first came into contact with man, primarily they were originally created less as the grandiose warriors they became later and more as a means of communicating to the lesser race of man, a giant flying fire breathing reptile landing in ones village is going to cause some serious panic, but a seemingly normal human walking in...not so much.
the dragons i think, were nothing if not practical after all

If you read any of the books in ED/DKS then you'd know Maxos has never been refered to as a Dragon Knight. If you read the History of the Dragon Knight's Books then they tell you that humans were NOT the first Dragon Knight's The Elf's were believed to be first.

As for Maxos he was so highley respected by the Dragons like Macbeth said that they gave him the ability to create Dragon Knight's. Maxos then took over as the creator of the Dragon Knight's when the Dragons chose to withdraw from the world & refuse to interact with it's inhabitants anymore. As a result common folk started to make the mistake of believing that Dragon Knight's were the Dragon's of the world & real Dragons were just a myth.
Posted By: Stabbey Re: timeline? - 10/10/11 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Macbeth
you made a common mistake there maxos was 'not' the progenitor of the dragon knights, he was merely the most powerful of them ever to have come into being

Not quite. He was never a Dragon Knight, but a wizard so powerful and wize that dragons gave him the power to make others Dragon Knights. Before that, only dragons could make someone a Dragon Knight.

Talana was a Dragon Knight, and she was able to make the Dragon Slayer into a Dragon Knight.

Was that just because she was dying, or is it possible for the Slayer-turned-Knight to make new Dragon Knights (without sacrificing their own life)?
Posted By: Arokh Re: timeline? - 10/10/11 04:45 PM
=Stabbey
Talana was a Dragon Knight, and she was able to make the Dragon Slayer into a Dragon Knight.

Was that just because she was dying, or is it possible for the Slayer-turned-Knight to make new Dragon Knights (without sacrificing their own life)?

Probably because she was dying or maybe Ygerna had something to do with it? As for slayer turned knight being able to create more knights, I don't think so. That is the Patriarch's job unless he gives the DK the ability to do so in the future. Guess the DK more than proved his / her worthyness to the Patriarch by what he / she did in DKS.
Posted By: Divine Avenger Re: timeline? - 12/10/11 03:11 AM
Yeah I Think It was proberbly because she was dying, after all she died straight after giving you her power.
Posted By: WotanAnubis Re: timeline? - 12/10/11 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by Divine Avenger
Yeah I Think It was proberbly because she was dying, after all she died straight after giving you her power.

There's also the fact that the Dragon Slayer was apparently still very vulnerable after leaving Farglow and hadn't undergone the appropriate rituals yet that would stabilise her (except one that Rhode improvised on the spot).

Maybe that, too, would've made it easier for Talana to change you, especially since the young Dragon Slayer just had the whole of the Dragon Knight's ancestral memories or something dumped into her very being.
Posted By: virumor Re: timeline? - 12/10/11 12:25 PM
What Macbeth posted doesn't rule out that Dragon Knights created by Maxos couldn't pass on their power as well. Maxos was merely the first human with the power to do so.
Posted By: Divine Avenger Re: timeline? - 16/10/11 01:14 AM
true, Maxos was a human mage not a Dragon Knight, nothing was mentioned about the Dragon Knight's not having the power to pass on there powers upon there death. I think the fact that for most Dragon Knight's there death came at the hands of slayers that are immune to the Dragon Knight's attempts to pass there powers on might be the reason it was unheard of. With noone but slayers around to watch them die it would be hard to pass there powers to a new person.
© Larian Studios forums