Larian Studios
Posted By: Asyreon Return of the Abbey ? - 26/04/13 02:32 AM
Though a demand in favor of its return has already been posted in the Wishlist thread, there has to been an explanation as to why it should return.

/!\ If you haven't played Divine Divinity yet (really ?), the following mass of text contains spoilers !

Lore-wise, we don't know much about the (cursed) Abbey.
It used to be a great place of knowledge.
The monks asked a powerful wizard (whose powers emanated from "the demon blood that ran through his veins"), The Engineer, to trap the whole Abbey, fearing that disciples from other orders would sneak into their library and steal their documents.
The Engineer accepted, due to the amount of money involved which could have helped him buying the items he needed in his studies of the magical arts.
The monks later imprisoned him in a magical trap fed by his life force, because of the threat the Engineer's knowledge could represent.
Infuriated by their treachery, the wizard vowed revenge and cursed the Abbey, turning its monk into undead being.
Here's the reminder.

"I was once a mighty magician - my power flowing from the demon blood that ran through my veins"
But who is the demon ? Could it be...!

So the idea is the following : If the Abbey has to return, it needs a reason. And there's a vast gap (in term of time) between D:OS and DD.

There are dissident of the Weresheeps (I confess, all I want is a snugly coat made of weresheep wool, ever since I heard of them. Can I be blamed for that !?).
It's a fact, many are those who succumbed to the plague, yet some among us have decided to resist and hunt the weresheeps, wherever would they graze.
Such preys valorous adversaries deserve a true opponent. An order. An order who dedicated itself into the defense of all what is good and just in Rivellon.

The Abbey, a place of knowledge, of Light, fighting the obscurantism, could be the ideal stronghold for such an order (let's call them the Sheperds, for the sake of it).

Another fact is that the weresheeps disappear after D:OS (or they've been weakened to such a point they need to hide. For a long time), else they'd be present in the sequels.
We'll need a reason to explain this extinction, and a whole order, formed in the sole purpose of eradicating the plague, could be a good explanation.

But then, how to fight the scourge ? The Engineer said it all : He inherited his tremendous powers with the blood of the demon.
It's not that hard to believe. If you were fighting something as nasty, malevolent and bloodthirsty as a weresheep, wouldn't you want to do some... Experimentations on them ? Know your enemy, they say.
At one point or another, they probably understood the potential of a weresheep-imbued Sheperd. Fighting fire with fire.
Is it really surprising that the Engineer's curse turned the monks into undead specifically ? The blood of the weresheeps spoke.

Well, it's just an idea, the Abbey is one of my favorite place of DD. I'd love it to reappear, somehow.

This thread is opened to every suggestions, if you have something else in mind please share !

P.S. : Death to the gregarious scoundrels ! *Throw down his gauntlet next to a weresheep*
Posted By: Rod Lightning Re: Return of the Abbey ? - 26/04/13 11:51 AM
Yeah I'm hoping for its return as well ^.^

pre-cursed, possibly.
Posted By: meme Re: Return of the Abbey ? - 26/04/13 12:56 PM
As this game pre-dates DD it would not be a 'return' but rather an earlier visit - maybe even before the abbey was cursed smile

Posted By: Asyreon Re: Return of the Abbey ? - 26/04/13 06:35 PM
It wouldn't be cursed at all, of course, the curse was recent in DD IIRC. We'd more likely attend to its construction, or its first days.
© Larian Studios forums