Larian Studios
Posted By: Cromcrom Crafting - 05/06/13 01:05 PM
Hello there, will there be gathering and crafting skills in this game, with some randomized effects ? Beside just "combining" stuff ?
Or just basic simple boring "click and get" feature ?
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Crafting - 05/06/13 01:58 PM
The only crafting system mentioned so far is just dragging and dropping items onto each other. There might be more, but I wouldn't expect randomized effects to be a part of it.
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: Crafting - 05/06/13 06:19 PM
Ok thanks, that's what I fear. Hopefully, scripts will be able to create new game systems like this one hehe
Posted By: Jenga Re: Crafting - 06/06/13 01:00 PM
Is this the same system that's going to be used for alchemy? The simplicity is pretty awesome.
Posted By: Rod Lightning Re: Crafting - 06/06/13 01:06 PM
Most likely, yeah (it was so in Divine Divinity). I think all crafting/item combination is simply drag and drop.
Posted By: Raze Re: Crafting - 06/06/13 01:14 PM

We at least know a health potion can be combined with an apple to make a cure potion (poison antidote), so the rest of the alchemy system may be similar.
Posted By: Marius Voinescu Re: Crafting - 06/06/13 06:00 PM
Why would they bother with anything else, do you want a mmo system with recipies and a forge, and your character doing some hand movement? That makes no sense and its pointless.
Posted By: Raze Re: Crafting - 06/06/13 08:26 PM

You never know, there could be a recipe/forge/NPC/etc required for special or quest related potions. I agree there is no point in that for the majority of the alchemy system, though.
Posted By: watser Re: Crafting - 06/06/13 08:49 PM
In that case I think it'll be like their previous games, bring the components to the NPC who will then create the desired item in order to progress with the quest/obtain your reward
Posted By: rattle Re: Crafting - 04/07/14 06:39 AM
Crafting or blacksmithing is pointless considering the point investment right now, IMO. The few things to make are not better than random loot found and will gimp a character in combat if you waste points and talents on this. It really feels annoying and tacked on, but it did so from the beginning.
Posted By: Gyson Re: Crafting - 04/07/14 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by rattle
Crafting or blacksmithing is pointless considering the point investment right now, IMO. The few things to make are not better than random loot found and will gimp a character in combat if you waste points and talents on this. It really feels annoying and tacked on, but it did so from the beginning.

It does, however, seem like you can take the random loot you find and improve the stats on it via crafting. At least that's been my experience so far, which is helping it to pay off more (and countering the sting of the "this item I found is better than the stuff I can craft" problem).

Edit: OMG, this post is a year old. Darn it, Rattle! :P I was like "Why does Crom's post seem so less jaded than normal?".
Posted By: Darkraign Re: Crafting - 04/07/14 07:19 AM
But since you guys already Necrod it ^^
Craft is really really strong. You can even improve the Legendaries you find with some extra Resistances.
And you dont gimp yourself. Just find some + Crafting or + Blacksmithing Equipment.
You can easily invest 1 or 3 Points into Crafting and get +3/+4 per Equipmemnt -> 5 and thats what you need for maximum Power.
Posted By: Gyson Re: Crafting - 04/07/14 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by Darkraign
But since you guys already Necrod it ^^
Craft is really really strong. You can even improve the Legendaries you find with some extra Resistances.
And you dont gimp yourself. Just find some + Crafting or + Blacksmithing Equipment.
You can easily invest 1 or 3 Points into Crafting and get +3/+4 per Equipmemnt -> 5 and thats what you need for maximum Power.

Invest 1 or 3 points, but not 2. Never 2. Heh. smile

Just thought that was an odd number selection. smile
Posted By: Darkraign Re: Crafting - 04/07/14 07:35 AM
Well bringing it to 1 Cost 1 Point.
Bringing it 2 Cost 2 Points.
1 = 1
1+2 = 3 laugh
Posted By: Kriss Re: Crafting - 04/07/14 07:38 AM
Blacksmithing is great for improving equipment you find, crafting is great for making utility stuff like special arrows and lockpicks and whatnot.
Maybe the person was posting about it during the early access stage when it wasn't as fleshed out as it is right now, personally I think this is one of the better crafting systems in gaming.
Posted By: Gyson Re: Crafting - 04/07/14 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Darkraign
Well bringing it to 1 Cost 1 Point.
Bringing it 2 Cost 2 Points.
1 = 1
1+2 = 3 laugh

You are right! I completely read your comment wrong. Apologies! eek
Posted By: chimp Re: Crafting - 04/07/14 04:13 PM
Crafting is actually pretty broken. I didn't take a single point of damage (well almost) in the final boss fight, on hard difficulty, because I had well over max resistances.

Plus with all of the +1 crafting equipment you can find, tons of bracers and belts seem to have it. +1 from the pragmatic perk. Thats 3 skill points invested, which is nothing.

Rubies give +20% all elemental resists, and you can enchant most armour pieces with essences if you have no rubies.

© Larian Studios forums