Larian Studios
Posted By: LightningLockey Original Sin - first play :( - 29/04/14 06:55 AM
So here is the short and quick version of my initial review and why I've mentioned the game as being one of the worse gaming experiences of my life. I've got faith in Larian to make some adjustments to ensure no one goes threw such a miserable experience like this again (unless they really want a challenge).

NOTE: For replies about the combat issue, please go to my already existing thread at
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=491994&gonew=1#UNREAD
as this thread is meant for an over-all first experience, not my main problem area which is combat.

Music: nothing short of fantastic!
General NPC dialog: Needs a touch more humor to feel like the other games that I'm used to.
Books: Bunch of them have no text in them at all. And no concept art which I loved seeing in Sword of Lies.

Road to First Town:
Initial "dungeon" (should be called a hidden crypt as it isn't a dungeon which is really a prison) was very lacking in a tutorial that made learning spells, figuring combat out, etc very difficult. Please remove the mentioning of this as a dungeon, RPG's have beaten the word dungeon up and call everything underground a bloody dungeon and it is really annoying.

Town:
Couldn't figure out how to use a bucket with water and then throw it on the burning boat, nor find NPC's to help put out the fire. I hope the fishermen had insurance on the boat frown

Once NPC outside the main bar was particularly annoying going on about this Fabulous Five. I was happy to just "take my leave" and move on. Want to finish up a bunch of my already started quests before taking on any more and getting totally lost in it all.

Jake Murder: Fun! though I can't find the secret laboratory. Couldn't get any help from Arhu on "his monstrosity". Couldn't find it going to the Lighthouse or the beach where the level 7 Orc's are. Gave up (due to issues with combat).

Combat: Found out on the forums I missed finding people to hire and there were no hints prior to going outside the town that I needed a larger party. The guards just said regular civilians cannot leave town and let me go threw the gates. This is where the game really sucked as I really tried to enjoy myself. It took over 8 hours to get up to the light house with failing fights and trying to figure out why the game was so damn hard. I'm not sure how it took this long, but the clock doesn't lie...

Swen, I think your awesome but after the experience I just had... some major work in the beginning needs to be done or this game will fail. If I didn't know you for over 10 years, I wouldn't even attempt playing this game again over the experience I just had. Combat in this game had me really miserable and irritated as I had forgotten you could even hire NPC's to join you. I'll play the game again when a new build is released.

Even if a super noob "tutorial mode" is enabled until going outside of town to ensure one has hired mercenaries has to be added. I'm sure a pop up can offer to disable it if "you truly are experienced with this game!"
Posted By: Lar_q Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 29/04/14 10:48 AM
Hi LightningLockey!

I read it all and sympathise. I appreciate you taking the time to write down your experiences here - we certainly didn't set out to make this your second most miserable game experience ever smile

We know we need to do some significant work still on the tutorial, and we will. Part of the problem is indeed that this game is quite different from our previous endeavours, and we need to educate players a bit about all the things that you can do such as hiring companions or henchman, but also about what you cannot do too. I wrote a small piece about this particular issue here: http://www.lar.net/2014/03/07/educating-players/

However, it is a game that requires you to backtrack from time to time, and seek out solutions using the mechanics that are available for dealing with the situations that you encounter. We're making it challenging on purpose because otherwise people wouldn't experiment with the various systems (because there would be no need to), and discovering how to deal with a situation in an innovative manner using the available mechanics usually leads to fun gameplay.

This is definitely not the easiest design approach in the world, and the risk is indeed that people run into a brick wall if they don't try different approaches. Which is why we integrated so many ways of reaching your goals, but sometimes, it's possible that you have to abandon one goal, just because you developed your game in such a way that a solution isn't possible anymore. Which is fine by the way - the game's been designed such that you'll always be able to finish it, even if you kill everybody. But also such that you can finish it with very little combat (not recommended for beginners wink )

Still we certainly don't want it to be too much of a frustrating experience , which is why there are different difficulty levels (which still need to be tweaked, this is just their first iteration). That together with a better tutorial (and in-game education that progress will only happen through exploration) will hopefully remove the game from your top 2 position.

Did you play on easy or normal ?
Posted By: Indira Weresheep Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 29/04/14 11:40 AM
Great response to LightningLockey's concerns and frustrations! Thank you, Swen! smile

I also read that blog article of yours you linked, and you wanted some ideas how to reach more of your target audience. Perhaps, I'm coming in a bit leftfield here, but isn't the still vibrant and large pen-n-paper RPG-crowd and obvious match for this game? When I played and truly adored Ultima and Baldur's Gate, for instance, I had already been rolling dice, painted miniatures, laughed, argued and lied around tables with friends for years, and I did find that some of that PnP-magic was preserved in a few great games. That feeling is all but extinguished today, since so very few games even tried something remotely similar to them. Your vision of this game is in fact clearly a social and deep RPG. Hence, people enjoying them outside the world of computer games will most likely love this ambitious endeavour of yours, which is pretty much unique nowadays. If I were you, I would underline this point over and over, because it is something fantastic: That co-op play where you get to disagree with your fellow party member, the living, breathing world, where objects actually have uses and can change entire quests. All in all, it is a creative world, where fantasy gets to be roleplaying again, and not just something cinematic that you passively take in.
Posted By: Fanest Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 29/04/14 12:27 PM
@LightningLockey
i think u should spend more time exploring, experimenting, talking to ppl and not just rush through the gates and into the wild.
I remember playing Gothic-well not just Gothic many RPGs have same approach and there was so that u couldn't enter some areas (well u could but u got killed pretty soon) until later on when u were strong enough to fight beasts there and its same here.
DOS gives u access to almost any area, but its your choice where to start so dont blame designers for not holding your hand through whole game, instead blame yourself to not being able to make the right choice.

One thing though is imo valid in this respect and that is that differences between levels are too big -leveling up buffs your character too much and same goes for enemies. That is also what makes u feel that game although its more or less open world becomes very much linear. But thats why game is still in beta and balancing is smt i think they are working on right now.
Posted By: chimp Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 29/04/14 12:54 PM
Im confused about why you think there were no hints about needing a larger party. To get out of the gates, the guards will literally say "stop, you are too low level, you don't have enough people in your group". Did you play the game a few months back when this wasnt implemented or something?

I was STILL getting nagged at level 10, because I took lone wolf.

In terms of difficulty, the game can be pretty brutal at the start due to the lack of skills. When you try again, I seriously recommend trying out the Raistlin / Lonewolf Wizard / Warrior build. Your wizard goes fire magic for attack, water magic for defense. You buy some basic fire magic skills as soon as you can, as well as a healing spell. To fund this, you need to go on a stealing spree stealing whatever you can from peoples houses (paintings and golden cups for example). Your warrior takes shield and one handed, his job is primarily to soak up damage. When you have levelled up a bit, you can start buying decent buff spells from your mage that turn your warrior from a meat shield into a ridiculous 20 action point buffed unstoppable demon from hell.

The raistlin lonewolf build means you don't have to worry about dealing with two extra party members, and your two playable characters are very strong to compensate. You get more skill points to distribute giving you more flexibility.

If you can find the heart to play again at release, I recommend trying the build (unless Larian nerf it first).
Posted By: bigironvault Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 29/04/14 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by LightningLockey

Combat: Found out on the forums I missed finding people to hire and there were no hints prior to going outside the town that I needed a larger party. The guards just said regular civilians cannot leave town and let me go threw the gates. This is where the game really sucked as I really tried to enjoy myself. It took over 8 hours to get up to the light house with failing fights and trying to figure out why the game was so damn hard. I'm not sure how it took this long, but the clock doesn't lie...

I'm going to be a little blunt so excuse my approach. I have to be honest and say that you're not enjoying yourself because you've (we all frankly in recent years) let yourself be "trained" by mainstream CRPGs to be a bit of a nob when it comes to games. Everything has been fed to us in games such as Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc. where we do nothing but essentially watch a predetermined movie and not really interact with the story at all. Difficulty frankly has been non-existant in games for a long long time. Why SHOULD Larian tell you that you need a bigger party? Why should they show you a predetermined path? Why wouldn't your own mind tell you, "Hey I need to figure out what's going on here?" ...I think DOS is a nice breath of fresh air in that it DOES NOT hold your hand like a baby.

Larian has taken a totally different - more old school approach to game design (Ultima 7) where you can fully interact with the world in the way that you want. In fact, the game DOS is now at a state where we all wished games were back in the day.

If you are having trouble with the game you need to start to figure out why... why am I failing. Rather than blaming it on the game, start to analyze your approach to encounters, analyze your tactics. This is NOT a game where you're uber powerful and you can simply grind through the enemies. You need to spec your PC's right, you need to understand how each of them interact with each other, and how to exploit the abilities of your party. Once you figure it out, the game is incredibly more satisfying than any other RPG you've ever played. I guarantee it.

To Larian --- PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THIS GAME EASIER. The difficulty is perfect where it is. I hope you do not cater to the crowd that just wants to burn through the story. Part of the charm Larian is the difficulty of this game and the requirement for players to actually use their brains in combat vs. spamming attacks or special abilities. So sick of it.

Keep up the good work Larian.
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 29/04/14 01:27 PM
While you do have some good points, some others are essentially "the game didn't hold my hand, and didn't spoonfeed me every hint or tip the first time I ever played it."

The tutorial is still a work in progress, and it could use some additional things.

Eight guys ineffectually throwing water on a boat while shouting "it'll take more than a a few buckets to save her" is probably enough of a clue that one more bucket isn't going to help. The tutorial dungeon gave another tip about the burning ship.

The Fabulous Five NPC is intentionally annoying. You're not supposed to like him. You can also just say "I'll take my leave" right away to stop talking to him.

If you HAD taken on the Fabulous Five quest, you could have talked to Arhu about his monstrosity and gotten help.

The harbour gate hasn't been updated to use the same dialogue as the in-town gates, which suggest getting companions and higher levels, and yes that should be done.

A lot of your complaints about the combat are the result of you going out, finding it very difficult, and then continuing on in the exact same way for hours, repeatedly banging your head against the wall. If something isn't working, try something different.

You didn't look around for backup or try lowering the difficulty in the game options. You clearly entered the tavern, but didn't talk to Madora. The Companions first dialogue is "oh boy can I join you, huh, can I, can I"? No payment or quest required. Jahan isn't the easiest to find, and rumours from NPC's suggesting the existence of companions could help, but you should try looking around and talking to people.
Posted By: dwelfusius Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 29/04/14 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Stabbey
While you do have some good points, some others are essentially "the game didn't hold my hand, and didn't spoonfeed me every hint or tip the first time I ever played it."

Eight guys ineffectually throwing water on a boat while shouting "it'll take more than a a few buckets to save her" is probably enough of a clue that one more bucket isn't going to help. The tutorial dungeon gave another tip about the burning ship.

The Fabulous Five NPC is intentionally annoying. You're not supposed to like him. You can also just say "I'll take my leave" right away to stop talking to him.

A lot of your complaints about the combat are the result of you going out, finding it very difficult, and then continuing on in the exact same way for hours, repeatedly banging your head against the wall. If something isn't working, try something different.

this..all of this..

Sure some pointers could be there, but all in all it seems as if you are not having the reflex of thinking out of the box, searching the limits of the world manipulation..
Which probably comes due to a lot of non-free rpg's (i admitt, I had to die a bit before i started to think differently ^^)
Posted By: bigironvault Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 29/04/14 03:10 PM
Agreed I had to die a ton my first play as well. But when you put some effort in it, you'll be rewarded 10 times over.

Un-train your CRPG mind.
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 29/04/14 07:17 PM
I'll also add that even if you skip joining the Fabulous Five, Arhu does indeed offer help on his monstrosity if you go and ask. You get the quest started by entering the cave and talking to the desperate recruits, and if you go back to Arhu, you can indeed talk to him about the Sparkmaster and he'll offer you help.

The Fabulous Five recruiter is a salesman for a pyramid scheme, so of course he's pushy, aggressive, and obnoxious.
Posted By: bigironvault Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 29/04/14 08:05 PM
To be honest I've never bothered to ask for help and the sparkmaster was never a real problem. The key is in battle map control.
Posted By: Hiver Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 29/04/14 08:45 PM
I find the game difficulty and the way it presents itself, the story and the gameplay a real, soothing breath of fresh air.

Its like breathing with full lungs again.

Being nice to some lone very inexperienced, complete noob of a player who never played a real RPG before - obviously, is a nice thing to do. And remember, all of use had to take such first steps and struggle through first frustrations with our first real True RPGs once long ago - once when games had to be actually played - not just experienced - and thats why we came to love them.

Im sure that you devs are seeing the numbers here.

Easy modes are all fine and great. btw.
When they remain in their places.
Posted By: Ellary Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 29/04/14 10:38 PM
combat is amazing in this game o.o you just have to be sure you know where you are putting your team. Do remember you can use the land to your favor. It never hurts to take a moment and look at the field and plan some tactics!

Starting out I will admit is very a bit confusing~ the new dungeon helps though! I hope this does not count as a spoiler...but you can find a certain paper thing on the beach~ that can help save the burning boat. Water is your friend O.O >.> o.o...

Packmules..I mean companions o.o I also had no idea there were some to recruit in the main town. but that also taught me I need to look around and talk to more npcs ^_^

*EDIT* One thing I still have no idea how to do or even start is crafting, that is the one thing I would love a tutorial on~
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 30/04/14 06:06 AM
Thanks for taking the feedback Lar, this is why I have such high faith in your company!

I played the game on Normal mode only.

As for "why should a game be decently easy" well first off, I really don't look for a challenge factor in the game. I don't waste my time with games like Ghosts and Goblins because I don't have much time to play a game. I'm more after games of adventure and mostly fun. Though I always do expect to have a challenge when coming to bosses.

As for learning spells, majority of the stuff required 2 in elemental power and I can only get one of each. I've got quite the collection of spell books to learn once I can get 2 in fire for the wizard. I sold a lot of paintings to get those spell books btw.

Also as I said before I'm not giving up on the game, just this particular build. Once the next update comes out, I'll spend another weekend and see how things fair out. I'm going to give larian time to rub their hands, make some magic and see how many bunnies they can pull out of a hat. Most places I'd expect maybe one bunny, with Larian... usually they pull multiple rabbits out of the hat and put them up for adoption.

And again I repeat myself: I NEVER had any gate guards tell me my party was too small. They just simply opened the gates. As for me banging my head with the same tactics, I kept going after the enemies and used the environment to my advantage. To the point of making barricades by clicking and dragging barrels and such.
Posted By: Chaotica Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 30/04/14 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by Ellary
I hope this does not count as a spoiler...but you can find a certain paper thing on the beach~ that can help save the burning boat. Water is your friend O.O >.> o.o...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN he revealed the spot of the raining scroll !! shame on him and on his 3 next generations !!! :p
Posted By: Raze Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 30/04/14 09:03 AM
I NEVER had any gate guards tell me my party was too small. They just simply opened the gates.

For the north and east gates there is a conversation check on the number of characters in the party and their level. After asking them to open the gate, did you not have a response saying 'you don't look like you're quite ready to head out', to which you could say 'don't worry, I can take care of myself' or 'on second thought, leave the gate closed for now'?
The gate by the harbour is closed as it is too dangerous, and there are a couple hints along the beach that the opponents there may be tough.
Posted By: hairyscotsman Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 30/04/14 09:22 PM
You need to save up your leveling points to buy the higher values in magic and skills. 1 point for level 1 then 2 points for level 2, 3 for level 3 etc so it's 10 points total spend for level 4. All skilled up is a big help there as are items that boost them. By near end of beta content I got +3 on way of the warrior from items for my Battlemage last build, so it only cost me 3 points to get level 5 way of the warrior and all those lovely extra action points.

also, if you manage to find the low level dungeon run inside the town, you may dig the game a bit more.
Posted By: Hiver Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 30/04/14 09:37 PM
Thanks for taking the feedback Lar, this is why I have such high faith in your company!

As for "why should a game be decently easy" well first off, I really don't look for a challenge factor in the game. I don't waste my time with games like Ghosts and Goblins because I don't have much time to play a game. I'm more after games of adventure and mostly fun. Though I always do expect to have a challenge when coming to bosses.

Well, honestly - without any desire to be rude about it at all - once you say things like this ... matters become crystal clear.

There is no need to say anything further.

Except the usual, maybe you shouldn't play games that actually are meant to be played, if you dont have the time, or play games at all - this isnt that kind of a game, - and you may as well watch some well made lets play on youtube.

As for learning spells, majority of the stuff required 2 in elemental power and I can only get one of each.

Well, you know... in True(tm) RPG games you have to earn some points, xp or skill points, which you then get to invest in those skills and abilities.

I've got quite the collection of spell books to learn once I can get 2 in fire for the wizard. I sold a lot of paintings to get those spell books btw.

Thats fine, you havent wasted anything.
You just need to earn some xp.

Also as I said before I'm not giving up on the game, just this particular build. Once the next update comes out, I'll spend another weekend and see how things fair out. I'm going to give larian time to rub their hands, make some magic and see how many bunnies they can pull out of a hat. Most places I'd expect maybe one bunny, with Larian... usually they pull multiple rabbits out of the hat and put them up for adoption.

Im pretty sure, nay - categorically positive that you will not find that kind of a version of this game - ever.

The best you can do is wait for game difficulty options to become available in game options.

And again I repeat myself: I NEVER had any gate guards tell me my party was too small. They just simply opened the gates.

Thats not true but you actually needed to read that stuff called text, that was obstructing your view at that moment for some seconds. The thing you needed to click away?

As for me banging my head with the same tactics, I kept going after the enemies and used the environment to my advantage. To the point of making barricades by clicking and dragging barrels and such.

smile

Yeah, thats the best stuff. Dont have that kind of stuff happening in those fancy mass market action gameys eh? :P

Those kind of things become the best memories of your gaming ... once the game makes a lean and mean RPG fighting machine out of you.

Honestly,... i doubt you will make it out of boot camp.
I think youre going to give up. Run home to mommy from those evil bad undead kicking your ass every which way to Sunday.

Aintcha now?
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 01/05/14 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by Raze
I NEVER had any gate guards tell me my party was too small. They just simply opened the gates.

For the north and east gates there is a conversation check on the number of characters in the party and their level. After asking them to open the gate, did you not have a response saying 'you don't look like you're quite ready to head out', to which you could say 'don't worry, I can take care of myself' or 'on second thought, leave the gate closed for now'?
The gate by the harbour is closed as it is too dangerous, and there are a couple hints along the beach that the opponents there may be tough.

No such conversation happened with the gate guards. I've made mention of this a few times. Stabby said that I somehow walked into a bug, I first went threw the gate at coordinates X339 Y247 which might have triggered the bug. I then went threw the gate at X176 Y169 which the guards didn't say anything about a larger party. I hope this helps end all the confusion.

Quote of the day award:
Originally Posted by Hiver
[quote=Hiver]
Honestly,... i doubt you will make it out of boot camp.
I think youre going to give up. Run home to mommy from those evil bad undead kicking your ass every which way to Sunday.

Aintcha now?

The reason why I don't have time is that I'm actually in the military you punk. But that is enough food for the troll that you obviously are for now.

I do apologize to the forum mods for this, normally I don't go into such conversations with obvious trolls, but this one gave me a real good hearty laugh after a stressful day.[u][/u]
Posted By: Hiver Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 01/05/14 09:03 AM
:One eyebrow slowly rises:

That doesnt change a single thing about anything i said, but hey, good to see on what levels you are operating.

Besides, that particular line or two you quoted has nothing to do with "not having time".
It is rather specific i thought.

Posted By: Rack Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 01/05/14 12:58 PM
In the build I played you were still effectively barred from leaving town by grossly overpowered enemies, even if you guide damn it your way to hiring a party. You'd also need to scour the introductory town for every last drop of xp, money and gear and exploit the completely broken game system to get anywhere.

It's difficult in the way a 10,000 piece jigsaw with no picture is difficult.
Posted By: Bearhug Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 01/05/14 06:21 PM
Well, honestly - without any desire to be rude about it at all - once you say things like this ... matters become crystal clear.

There is no need to say anything further.

That's exactly where you should have followed your own advice and suck it up as your reply was quite unnecessary as it actually was rude and you kept going despite your original 'need' to say anything further.

The replies from everybody else in the thread was more then sufficient without sounding like preaching from a pulpit.

Thanks to everybody else for the more constructive feedback.
Posted By: Hiver Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 01/05/14 10:13 PM
I was talking about his own declarations and proclamations.
Quite unnecessary seeing how he basically doesnt have the time to play and has no intention of learning the most simple basics of the game, or to bother with reading what the game is telling him.

Same as you i gather? Thats why you vomited that laughable emotionally hurt comeback, even though nobody was talking to you at all.

Im afraid it will be you who will suck up this discussion and all else i decide to write, now and in the future.

Posted By: Bearhug Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 02/05/14 12:10 AM
Spoken like a true Steam troll.
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 02/05/14 12:35 AM

As for "why should a game be decently easy"

Reading through your issue I think these consecutive thoughts of yours answer what you need to do. Don't play normal and expect easy. Play Easy and expect Easy. Like taking candy from a baby.

I agree easy should be easy. But don't try to water down these rare gems, it is part of why they are sought after. Tons of quick to get into, easy tablet RPG's "and cheap to!".
Posted By: Ellary Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 02/05/14 05:13 AM
things are getting mighty heated in here a bit o.o while I understand this game might seem hard to most (I will admit when I first played in alpha.. I was like "where am I supposed to go?" BUT half the fun of the game is exploring around.)

For the gate issue. My guards did not say anything about level..They did however send another warning. That beyond this gate lies something..I forgot. but it was clear to me "hey this might be hard"

Difficulty! This is not meant to insult, but try easy mode first so you can learn the game. then tackle it on Normal~ and then hard ^_^
Posted By: Hiver Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 02/05/14 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Bearhug
Spoken like a true Steam troll.

Because you say so? Because your pal there and you have nothing else to say except those feeble insults, when someone tries to help you.
Like some crybabies that cry and start to fling poop all the louder and louder if the help isnt exactly what you want to hear.

For your information, what i said is not preaching from the pulpit nor was it rude.
It was simply true. And aimed to help that guy in a way he should appreciate and understand, him apparently being in the army and all.

But, you are the kind of people that cannot tolerate someone saying it to you - and nicely at that.
Just because it isnt said in the tone of a crybaby nurse.

Then you start with your proclamations of what is what and those pathetic insults and attempts to paint something as "constructive feedback" and something as not, as "steam trolling".
What constructive feedback had any of you two binary screamers provided for anything?

Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 02/05/14 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Ellary
things are getting mighty heated in here a bit o.o while I understand this game might seem hard to most (I will admit when I first played in alpha.. I was like "where am I supposed to go?" BUT half the fun of the game is exploring around.)

For the gate issue. My guards did not say anything about level..They did however send another warning. That beyond this gate lies something..I forgot. but it was clear to me "hey this might be hard"

Difficulty! This is not meant to insult, but try easy mode first so you can learn the game. then tackle it on Normal~ and then hard ^_^

I got a third party member and that made the game far easier to play. The NPC in the tavern for the longest time was a giant grey rectangle that took out the whole corner of the tavern. I didn't even know the Duke was there as that grey box covered all the NPC's and decorations like tables. After taking her into the basement of the tavern the glitch corrected itself and she isn't a giant grey box. This was the only area of the game I had that thus far and I just killed that level 8 skeleton boss in the basement of the church.

As for the heated argument, there is just a single troll that will get kicked eventually, nothing to worry about. I appreciate your concern though smile. I'm still playing the game on normal mode btw.
Posted By: Hiver Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 03/05/14 01:43 AM
Single troll that will get kicked out?
You mean yourself?

You really like to throw out those feeble attempts at insults while you pretend youre all nice and great, dont you?

Not only had you flipped completely over some quite ordinary advices on how to make a bit more of a true RPG man out of you, and then dismissed everything else in that post of mine, but you also just invent really laughable, pathetic lies that you then pretend are true, somehow. Like trying to pretend you are some kind of a victim and some others are "trolls" and "punks" who will get... "kicked out".

Come to think of it, its the same mentality logic with which you approached the game:

The guards just said regular civilians cannot leave town and let me go threw the gates.

- which is patently not true, and only a result of you not reading properly. Skipping dialogue.

And now apparently there was a glitch that made all NPCs in the tavern, or just Madora (unintelligible) ...a giant grey rectangle... which you didnt think is something worth mentioning in that OP about the "worst gaming experience" you ever had, because giant gray rectangles covering half of the tavern dont belong into that category of things that make worst gaming experiences in the lifetime - which actually happened because of your own incapability to deal with the most basic and simplest features of the game.
Like reading the text on the screen, for example.

And tendency to be a screamer and always a victim. Of the bad evil game or of bad evil posters.

How did you enlist Madora if she was a gray rectangle, btw?
How did you even know grey rectangles can be enlisted as if they are NPCs?

These are all just rhetorical questions, im not really interested in your answers, so you can keep screaming about trolls.

This one took the cake though.
Once NPC outside the main bar was particularly annoying going on about this Fabulous Five. I was happy to just "take my leave" and move on. Want to finish up a bunch of my already started quests before taking on any more and getting totally lost in it all.

although this was was really, really funny:

It took over 8 hours to get up to the light house with failing fights and trying to figure out why the game was so damn hard. I'm not sure how it took this long, but the clock doesn't lie...

:lol:

and this:
Initial "dungeon" (should be called a hidden crypt as it isn't a dungeon which is really a prison)

Please remove the mentioning of this as a dungeon, RPG's have beaten the word dungeon up and call everything underground a bloody dungeon and it is really annoying.

but these two are still a bit of a mystery:
Found out on the forums I missed finding people to hire and there were no hints prior to going outside the town that I needed a larger party.

vs
Combat in this game had me really miserable and irritated as I had forgotten you could even hire NPC's to join you.

well, my deduction techniques fail at this so ill just leave it to... CSI Miami.
Posted By: Hassat Hunter Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 03/05/14 09:26 AM
Yes, we all agree LightningLockey got tainted by modern RPG's and was expecting all to be force-fed like all those modern games do, and as this is old-school wont.

And that many more people need some re-education that not everything is spelled out to them...
Posted By: pts Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 03/05/14 04:20 PM
I agree, but i think it is wrong to belittle and patronize LightningJockey (and Hiver). I mean, i don't remember a recent RPG that was actually challenging enough to require more than a quick reload to master a specific challenge. So if you never experienced the frustration of being stuck and the elation of finally -finally!- mastering a particulary difficult challenge, where are you supposed to learn the patience to pass those stretches of frustration?

Also, LightngJockey serves in the military (thank you!), so he might play RPGs in a purely recreational and/or escapist way, and maybe doesn't want to deal with too many hard challenges and frustrations (enough of that in real life already).

So, my tips for a more enjoyable experience: many problems can be solved by getting your two companions first (one located at the tavern, the other on the top floor of the mayors house). Both join without quests and will make the combat a lot easier. Its also useful to check the level of enemies - if you are more than one level below them, you should try other areas first (or be prepared for a though fight). Also, don't forget you can use potions - they don't heal over time like the heal spell (water spell lvl 1, helps a lot!), but bring back your health instantly. If combat is still hard: get the lvl1 earth spell "Summon Wolf" for every character - this effectively doubles your party size and makes most fights with enemies of +1 level or less extremely easy (makes the game a little too easy imo).
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 03/05/14 04:32 PM
Here we go, because you don't instantly masterize this bugged, fucking unbalanced, and boring beta, and say that things could be improved, there's the whole fanboys bully gang barking arrogant bullshits at you.
That's the spirit lads.
Posted By: Hiver Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 03/05/14 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by pts
I agree, but i think it is wrong to belittle and patronize LightningJockey (and Hiver). I mean, i don't remember a recent RPG that was actually challenging enough to require more than a quick reload to master a specific challenge. So if you never experienced the frustration of being stuck and the elation of finally -finally!- mastering a particulary difficult challenge, where are you supposed to learn the patience to pass those stretches of frustration?

Nobody is belittling him, except his own imagination and vocabulary.

Originally Posted by pts

Also, LightngJockey serves in the military (thank you!), so he might play RPGs in a purely recreational and/or escapist way, and maybe doesn't want to deal with too many hard challenges and frustrations (enough of that in real life already).

What if he is working in the enemy army, what then? :P
Besides, you do know there are various jobs in the army, right? Not just awesome warriors?
And its not like he is the only one that ever was in or works in the army.
Just sayin`...

Originally Posted by Cromcrom
Here we go, because you don't instantly masterize this bugged, fucking unbalanced, and boring beta, and say that things could be improved, there's the whole fanboys bully gang barking arrogant bullshits at you.
That's the spirit lads.

The only thing there is to see - actually, is a few people just like you, who come in storming and crying and then always, always - fall for the trick of psychological projection which is just beyond your capability to figure out, - while flinging simpleton level insults around - while painting yourselves in a self-victimization fallacy in order to force the overall sense of you being in the right.

Which this post of yours illustrates perfectly.

Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 04/05/14 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by pts

What if he is working in the enemy army, what then? :P
Besides, you do know there are various jobs in the army, right? Not just awesome warriors?
And its not like he is the only one that ever was in or works in the army.
Just sayin`...

Now that you think I'm not an "awesome warriors" you've got my interest...

First, exactly what are these jobs in the Army your talking about?
Second, exactly what country do you think I'm serving in since you know me so well?

PTS, thank you for your kind comments. They are much appreciated.
Posted By: Chaotica Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 04/05/14 06:54 AM
That's the spirit lads.

well when it is such a really constructive criticism from people always whining and pointing out what is missing or what is due to them "because they backed the game" of course it might upset one or 2 people...
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 04/05/14 10:30 AM

The only thing there is to see - actually, is a few people just like you, who come in storming and crying and then always, always - fall for the trick of psychological projection which is just beyond your capability to figure out, - while flinging simpleton level insults around - while painting yourselves in a self-victimization fallacy in order to force the overall sense of you being in the right.

I didn't understand a single sentence of this arrogant rabble. Use simpleton language when you talk to simpleton, you should know that, M. Smart.
Posted By: Hiver Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 04/05/14 11:52 AM
Pyscho... luugicool - prooo...jeeee... ctiuuuuun.

get it now?
Posted By: KnightPT Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 04/05/14 01:38 PM
"this bugged, fucking unbalanced, and boring beta",

I'm sorry but did you just say that a beta build of a game is bugged and unbalanced?

Isn't that expected from a beta release ? lol... seriously?

Boring or not is a matter of personal preference and i respect your opinion ofc, but bashing the game saying it's fucking unbalanced when it's only the 2nd build of beta and still a few months away from a release candidate buid is just being a forum troll.

About the OP and the game being suposedly too hard, it's clear to me that you want diferent entertaintment than this game is suposed to offer. This is suposed to be an "old school" RPG and thus a little bit more chalenging than most recent mainstream games.

It's clear you realy WANT to like it and play it, but you even say that you don't have much time and thus you just want easy acessible entertainment, it seems to me that this game is not for you at least in "normal" dificulty levels, hopefuly larian can make the "easy" version accessible for you and people like you.

Please don't take this personaly as i'm not trying to make you feel bad nor bashing you for liking things diferent from me, i just find that the game is not the problem, your expectations of it are.

P.S. I can link you numerous threads on steam of people complaining the game is a walk in the park and too easy, and they threaten larian they have to make it harder or the game will fail hard...

So... who is right?

Posted By: Cromcrom Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 04/05/14 03:20 PM
@hiver. Still not. You probably weren't understanding what you were writing anyways, as your last post clearly shows. Lol.

@knightPT. Unbalanced. Has always been. Time for improvement maybe ?
I can link you to many people saying the game is too difficult.
Want a PRO tip to master this game and make it easy ? Buy, find or randomly (!) find the good weapon, and fights become very very easy all of a sudden. Tadaaa, bosses are blasted. Lol. Either way to hard, or way to easy... Ain't that a balance issue, really ?

Indeed, I was expecting the next Wonder (or was it Ultima ?), like Larian was advertising. All I have so far is an unbalanced average RPG, that only stands out of the crowd because of material interactions and COOP play. Period. (Thats already good, but again, sooooooo frustrating).

As for "a few months", thats 1,5 month, so you are almost wrong.
Posted By: Clemens Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 04/05/14 04:27 PM
All I have so far is an unbalanced average RPG, that only stands out of the crowd because of material interactions and COOP play. Period. (Thats already good, but again, sooooooo frustrating).

Only material interactions and co-op, really ?

Considering the main murder quest of this beta, what rpg would you mention that has better quest design than D:OS these days ? Better exploration ?

Even going back a few years, there are really only a couple of titles I can think of that could put D:OS to shame in those departments.

The game still has numerous problem -- balance actually worries me less than AI reactivity at this point, in terms of challenge provided to the player, since the game is indeed way too easy once you hit level 5-6 -- and you're right that they need solving, but extreme hyperbole is not helping.
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 04/05/14 05:13 PM
[quote]Considering the main murder quest of this beta, what rpg would you mention that has better quest design than D:OS these days ? Better exploration ? [quote]
/sarcasm mode on/ OMG, are you saying there is a main quest in this game ? And there maybe could be secondary quests ? AMAZING !
And Exploration ! WOW ! Like finding NEW STUFF in places you have NEVER BEEN BEFORE ! Now that's a concept !
/sarcasm mode off/

Ok, let's say you like the main quest design, and the "exploration", this is fine.
I mean, Cyseal is so boring that I would bet that 80% of players turn thieves or murderers just for something to happen.
Game is so Fighting focused that I would bet that almost all players take the same abilities or talents.
Just the story: Once you meet ZIXZAX whatever, I am suppose to save Time Itself. Yeah, lets go back to solve that murder, it's more important. Source hunters ? With a training sword that is outdated as soon as you go outside find some big wood cleaver ? That got their asses kicked otherwise ? A besieged city where you can go in and out like its not besieged ? Legionnaires that don't have a proper Smith to tend their weapons and armors ? A healer that sells almost to no healing potions ?
I mean, I know its a fantasy world. But there are so many missing parts here that I can't get the mood to play solo.

I can understand two friends playing this game will have a blast. That's really what saves the game so far. Oh yeah, and moving crates.

Posted By: Hassat Hunter Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 04/05/14 05:14 PM
Guys, Crumcrum is a troll, stop wasting your breath... their are more productive things to do with your time...
Giant posts only waste your time.
Posted By: Clemens Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 04/05/14 05:35 PM

Just the story: Once you meet ZIXZAX whatever, I am suppose to save Time Itself. Yeah, lets go back to solve that murder, it's more important.

You mean, considering the murder investigation is precisely the thing that leads you to meet ZixZax and that you just found at the crime scene one of the stones you need to repare the tapestry ?
Yeah, I'd say they were pretty consistent on that one.

OK guys, I'm done, I'll stop feeding him, sorry, I'm easy bait I guess.
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 04/05/14 06:04 PM
@Clemens. Indded, you are right, It does make sense, and I wasn't seeing things that way. But indeed this is very consistent. No sarcasm here, I admit I was wrong.

Ok, I also found a quatermaster at the legionnary camp. Could world like a Smith of some kind, why not, so I was wrong also.

However, I was about to quit but then I "attacked' a training dummy, to see if maybe I could gain some little XPs from it (yeah, an "interactive " dream of mine...") so all the legionnaires around me attacked me (but having bought some proper weapon at the quatermaster, I slaughtered them 6 or 7...). Nice "interaction".
Fucked game. But ok, it's a bug, it is beta, it will be fixed.
This game is amazing really. Can't wait for more old school goodness. Yep, really. Can't wait.
Posted By: RtM Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 04/05/14 06:43 PM
You're still here?
Posted By: ZoddGuts Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 04/05/14 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
Guys, Crumcrum is a troll, stop wasting your breath... their are more productive things to do with your time...
Giant posts only waste your time.

Some people can also be drama queens. But yeah, best to ignore.
Posted By: Minchi1983 Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 05/05/14 03:51 AM
So True..I would consider this Post has been Trollizied >.<;;;
Posted By: Chaotica Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 05/05/14 12:22 PM
Seriously Cromcrom?!!! come on tell me you're joking !!
Perhaps we should organize something special tomorrow for your 1 year of trolling on that forum wink
Posted By: Minchi1983 Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 05/05/14 04:12 PM
Hehe...XD!!
Posted By: apoc_reg Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 06/05/14 09:58 AM
Regarding the opening I just played the beta on the latest build having not touched the alpha or earlier version.

I found the tutorial dungeon cool but incredibly hard, the path finding of my second party member seemed to walk into fire on purpose! I had to unhook the two and move them one by one which shouldn't really be needed.

I also felt trapped when I got to the town. I love the town and really enjoy walking around but every time I've tried to venture out I've been killed almost instantly and with no way to exit combat and run away its meant a reload (that I know of?).

I hear there are party members.... didn't know that!

So I think its great but yes if I wasn't a player who loves demon souls I probably would be suitably put off by now!
Posted By: Mikus Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 06/05/14 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by apoc_reg
I found the tutorial dungeon cool but incredibly hard, the path finding of my second party member seemed to walk into fire on purpose! I had to unhook the two and move them one by one which shouldn't really be needed.

Yeah, I've been playing the alpha and now the beta versions for a couple months now, and this is still one of the most annoying issues for me. I know proper pathfinding can be very tough to implement, but I'm hoping the devs find a way to prevent party members from ever walking through damage environments (assuming the player isn't manually forcing the party to path through such an environment).
Posted By: apoc_reg Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 06/05/14 11:35 AM
Yeah exactly, if as the player i click on burning ground then its my own fault but if i click miles over the map i would expect if the path is blocked by fire/electricity whatever for the npc to go around.
Posted By: Cromcrom Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 06/05/14 12:25 PM
Thanks Chaotica. I try to globally be honest. I try to check what I say if I have doubts, and try to criticize on facts. The fact that I am wrong sometimes won't take away the fact that I find this game incredibly frustrating, for many reasons, and I am probably/obviously not the only one.
Posted By: Dragomist Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 06/05/14 02:38 PM
Game does feel sort of all over the place. But considering the small budget id say LS did a grand job. There are still quite a few annoying things though and I can't get tired of mentioning them hoping that LS must have a list by now of things to work hard on to make the game smooth experience and that inventory, dialogue and journal are some of those few things.

Some people though may have better tolerance for annoying things than others. Especially as a backer I try to ignore most of the annoying things and just get through as much of the game as possible. But if I wasn't a backer and just bought a game in current condition I have to think that devs started very well and then just gave up and couldn't finish it. But then again there are still few more weeks until release and I believe the game will be nicely patched and annoyance free.

No matter the game is unique and IMHO one of the best ones since Baldurs Gate by feel, atmosphere and content I still find myself wishing that this and that was done better, that NPCs had voice overs, etc. from what I read there will be some voice overs which is great!

My first real play through I've done after first major beta patch, which changed the game for the best. I have to say that questing in DOS is a bit weird. I ended up just exploring everything and killing what I could. I think there should be more hints for quests, at least in NPC dialogue. Otherwise in many cases I ended up losing the clue what's going on in a particular quests probably in the middle. They don't supposed to lead you by hand with pointers to quest location trigger, but there should at least be some hints I the journal.

There are so many quests and if you just go and talk to bunch of people in town you end up having about 30 quests in journal. When some quests are updated after talking to certain NPCs a lot of times it doesn't update the journal. So if you are doing multiple quests at once it's easy to lose track of what someone told you 30 minutes ago. Do I have to take notes in a notebook outside the game? That's what in-game journal is for. It supposed to have necessary information for each quest. I don't want to go all over the map to see if I missed something for this one specific quest. Journal supposed to tell me if I am still missing something.

Anyways, it's a great game but because of annoyance and little things that cripple the experience it may end up being a pain in the butt for some people, so I completely understand where the OP is coming from. I'd say delay the release for a month but polish it as much as possible. Don't release it in half polished state with messy inventory or messy dialogue system or messy journal...
Posted By: Hassat Hunter Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 06/05/14 05:38 PM
30? There are not even that many quests in the beta, let stand you get them all in the city. Gross exageration.

And I had no trouble at all keeping track of all quests while within the city. Is it really that hard a thing for most people? It's far less demanding than, say, Baldur's Gate II, and I wouldn't want to have less quests at all.
Posted By: Raze Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 06/05/14 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by apoc_reg
with no way to exit combat and run away its meant a reload (that I know of?).

There is a flee button (boot icon) on the right side of the screen in combat; if you move out of the immediate vicinity of opponents, you should be able to teleport away. You can also literally run away from combat, as long as you are faster than your opponents, can slow them down or can hide from their view; if you get far enough away you will break out of combat.
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 07/05/14 06:45 AM
Glad to see the thread is becoming positive and constructive again.

Two things that should be added to the tutorial:

The sheer importance of skill books and mentioning that is the only way to learn new combat abilities. That abilities don't unlock automatically. This can be done with an ability book found in that tutorial dungeon.

A dialog box to prompt a user the first time they leave town that it would be really wise to find and enlist at least one other party member such as a warrior in a tavern or a mage that might be in a library.

Had both of these been in the game, this thread wouldn't have existed. I want to tell as many people about this game as possible, but they have the same life style and will go about the game in a far more aggressive manner then me. Honestly, they might just buy a few weapons in town and only explore 20% of it. And I'm sure the ship will sink in the same manner it did for me.
Posted By: Mikus Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 07/05/14 07:07 AM
A dialog box to prompt a user the first time they leave town that it would be really wise to find and enlist at least one other party member such as a warrior in a tavern or a mage that might be in a library.

+1 to this (assuming the player(s) haven't selected the Lone Wolf talent). Would've prevented about a dozen threads I've seen on the forum - no sarcasm; I understand the complaint.
Posted By: Aramintai Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 07/05/14 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Mikus

+1 to this (assuming the player(s) haven't selected the Lone Wolf talent). Would've prevented about a dozen threads I've seen on the forum - no sarcasm; I understand the complaint.

I think that tutorial popups when you enter the town should highlight all there is to know about towns - like bartering, stealing, quest givers, companions etc.
But also, maybe a reminder about companions could be done in the form of a dialogue between pc characters, provided at least one of them has not taken the Lone Wolf perk. Something like:
Question: Maybe we should look around town for some extra muscle before venturing out into the wilds?
Reply 1: Yea sure, you never know what's out there. There is safety in numbers, and all that.
Reply 2: Don't be such a whimp, we can manage on our own.
Reply 3 (if the character has Lone Wolf): I prefer to work alone, you are distracting me enough as it is.

Posted By: My name is Shar Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 07/05/14 10:28 PM
I'm going to chip in and offer a little insight on my latest beta playthrough.

First of all i want to congratulate Larian for this epic, legendary game. Please i love it madly. <3 <3 <3

Witchcraft
--------------------------------
Witchcraft seems a little underpowered. Maybe i didn't use it right? I made a pure witch, maxed out witchcraft and bought any spells i could find in vendors but i had only 1 dps spell which is not even remotely useful.

Elemental spells can battle any hazards as well you find in the game. Like you can use a rain spell to put off flames in your way, but with bloodletting i could only slash zombies to spread more poison on me frown frown

I ended up taking on fire to do some spell damage and i did summon zerg to help me in battle laugh

My thoughts is that witchcraft is for a melee hybrid character? I would love it though if you could play a pure witch caster. Seems nigh impossible now...

Companions, game difficulty
------------------------------------
I spoke to almost all npcs in town and did many many quests. But, (WARNING I HOPE THIS IS NOT A MINOR SPOILER!!!) i didn't want the demon hunter companion in my party of evuls people...(end of possible spoiler)

I ended up with a 3 party people and my witch which made the game really really difficult...

Will we have a wider variety of companions with eviler disposisions?

Are there any plans for a female orc companion later in the game? Or maybe Victoria? She looks bad arse, please please? :>

Music
-----------
Fantastic, period.
The opening beta video and music brought tears to my eyes.

Regrets
----------
That i didn't give more in kickstarter. frown

Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 08/05/14 01:39 AM
@Shar.

Well first off, I have a strong feeling Swen will be doing the whole kickstarter thing with the next game. We can clearly see all the great changes that were added into the game in the past year from the extra $900k they got (10% of the mil went back into kickstarter fees frown ) I know my generosity will be increased a bit smile

I have a witch (Scarlett) and battle mage (Roderick). For witchcraft, I only found two spellbooks, one to summon an undead swordsman and that bloodletting that she already came with. I think in the full game witchcraft might become more useful.

I found a warrior in the tavern, but keeps turning into a huge grey rectangle so I don't enlist him or her. Not even sure of the gender the glitch is that bad. For a while it was fine, but then started to glitch again. There is a warlock in the mayors house on the 2nd floor. With a party of three I was able to finish all boss battles.

For monsters that are frozen or petrafied, I find uses the teleporation ability does massive damage, but everything else is weak when attacking them. I find those skills are useful to help reduce the amount of attacks your party is taking on for a few rounds then a way to kill an opponent.

Character setup:

Roderick mainly uses melee and fire spell damage, I have his fire set high enough to summon the fire elemental.

Scarlett is pretty much just a mage in the back of the party.

I have her summon both a wolf and undead swordsman. I didn't find many spell books for witchcraft.
Air +1 (teleport monsters away, does major damage when they are petrafied!)
Earth +2 Poison, Fortify, Summon wolf
Ice +2 Ice Shard, healing
Witchcraft +2 Summon undead (most useful summon)

Warlock - forget name. I have him use mainly ice, air and ice elemental summoning.
Posted By: Stabbey Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 08/05/14 01:50 AM
Witchcraft is mostly a support school, it is mainly a physical buffer/debuffer, not meant to be a heavy damage dealer. Picking up an elemental school can help, though.

It's funny that you didn't want Jahan in your party.
From some of the things Jahan says, I'd put his alignment as either "Neutral Evil" or "Lawful Evil"
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 08/05/14 06:00 AM
I didn't find a Jahan, and really thought I searched everywhere in Cyseal and talked to every NPC.
Posted By: Raze Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 08/05/14 06:10 AM

Jahan is the one in the library, upstairs in the mayor's house.
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 08/05/14 07:35 AM
Oh... duh lmao! Yeh I had him in my party. He sometimes freaks out like Arhu unexpectedly and starts attacking my party. This mostly happens if a trap is set off causing burning damage.
Posted By: warg Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 08/05/14 10:49 AM
Oh... duh lmao! Yeh I had him in my party. He sometimes freaks out like Arhu unexpectedly and starts attacking my party. This mostly happens if a trap is set off causing burning damage.

This may be a feature (but needs to be polished a bit), he attacked me in the trap house because I teleported him too often and he got angry, or the female companion also attacked me after a fight. She told me something that she don't want to be with us because she got friendly fire or something...
Posted By: pts Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 09/05/14 04:04 PM

I have a witch (Scarlett) and battle mage (Roderick). For witchcraft, I only found two spellbooks, one to summon an undead swordsman and that bloodletting that she already came with. I think in the full game witchcraft might become more useful.

You can find a vendor for witchcraft spellbooks on the top floor of the tavern (the same vendor also sells the rogue skillbooks).

For monsters that are frozen or petrafied, I find uses the teleporation ability does massive damage, but everything else is weak when attacking them. I find those skills are useful to help reduce the amount of attacks your party is taking on for a few rounds then a way to kill an opponent.

Anything with crushing damage will do great (like this crushing fist skill from way of the warrior).

Yeah, this friendly fire reaction is way too easy to trigger. Typically, i set the ground on fire, the fight ends, one of my guys runs over the fire, gets a bit angry, runs over the fire some more and is now angry enough to attack me. I think environmental damage shouldn't trigger this reaction, at all.

Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 09/05/14 11:40 PM
PTS:

(IRT Frozen monsters) I'll have to try crushing again, before the attacks were mostly being absorbed. Still, focusing on the already attacking monsters as the frozen ones were just kinda chilling there instead of attacking me... yeh pun intended! smile

(IRT Witchcraft Books) Thanks, I knew I saw an NPC that had a bunch of those books but couldn't remember where it was.
Posted By: Chaotica Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 10/05/14 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by pts

Yeah, this friendly fire reaction is way too easy to trigger. Typically, i set the ground on fire, the fight ends, one of my guys runs over the fire, gets a bit angry, runs over the fire some more and is now angry enough to attack me. I think environmental damage shouldn't trigger this reaction, at all.

indeed, I had the same problem in the past, environmental damage is something hard to predict and control, if the NPC turn against you because of that, we won't have henchmen for long...
Posted By: Hiver Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 11/05/14 06:51 PM
oh, by the way...

start of the game, first visit to the gates:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the third pic is from ano0ther playthrough, the guards tend to repeat those warnings over and over - every-time you come close - for quite some time, while you are at low levels.
Posted By: LightningLockey Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 12/05/14 05:19 AM
Your pictures are too small to really read what is being said. From what I can tell, they are just saying the outside is swarming with monsters/zombies so be vigilant. Nothing about "you need an extra party member." It's been over a year, but I think that in DKS the guards were saying the same thing when exiting the town.

Being a Sunday night and not having DKS currently installed on my new(er) computer, I'm not about about to install now (or in the near future) to find out. Right now my free time goes towards marathon training (hence the name) and beta testing D:OS.

Your Hell-bent on only one of the two issues that I had. And still seemed confused about it. The other issue was that you only learn new abilities buy buying (or finding) skill books. In the other Divinity games, you learned abilities by putting training points in after each level up. In rare occasion, you were able to buy or find a skill book, but that was a bonus and not a MUST as it is here. (Getting it now?)

With this knowledge and buying a bunch of skill books, on a 2nd playthrew, I had a far easier time busting up monsters with only 2 characters. Before, both characters (witch and battle-mage) actually did melee attacks while waiting on abilities to cool down.

Since you also like bringing up the past, what were those Army jobs your were talking about? I'm still quite curious in how much you know about the US Army.
Posted By: henryv Re: Original Sin - first play :( - 25/07/14 10:39 PM
oh, by the way...

start of the game, first visit to the gates:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the third pic is from ano0ther playthrough, the guards tend to repeat those warnings over and over - every-time you come close - for quite some time, while you are at low levels.

On the third picutre with the ballista, that's the part where it is easy to defeat the mobs if you lure in the mobs near the guards and you can use the ballista if it's within range.

EDIT: didn't notice that the thread was dead. I forgot I sorted with the most views on the forums.
© Larian Studios forums