Larian Studios
Posted By: Mr. C Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 02:36 AM
Were you in on the Kickstarter campaign? No? Well you can piss off then.

I mean exactly how much content/awards/prizes/benefits do I get to miss out on because I'm not on Kickstarter?

Because you guys are really making me feel like I blew $50.00 bucks to be the ugly girl at the party.

It's cool though. I'll just let everyone know that if you didn't blow money on the kickstarter don't bother buying Larian games because you'll only get X% of what you actually purchased.
Posted By: LockeMurdock Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 02:39 AM
Um. You didn't get a pair of boxer shorts with no stats, a potion which says thanks, and a grail that makes your clothes look gold.

Maybe there were benefits for being a big-time supporter in the very, very early stages, but if you weren't in the Kickstarter, you wound up with a fantastic game anyway. *shrug*
Posted By: Horrorscope Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 02:44 AM
Mr. C you are better than that. Life is littered with perks like that. We should be grateful these people put money up in good faith so we can have what we do.
Posted By: Khayness Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 02:56 AM
The Grail is in the Divinity Anthology aswell, I think the Trunks are the same as in the Source Hunter DLC, but I might be wrong.

So the Kickstarter potion with a thank you note and possibly mentioned in the credits.

If you want to hold a grudge because of those, suit yourself.

Edit: I didn't have any money left to spend on video games on 2013 April, so I'm not a backer aswell, and I don't feel left out. Just my 0,02 $.
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 03:14 AM
The only "add-on" normal kickstarter backers have is the "You rock" message in the main menu. Apart from that the game is absolutely identical to the release version + DLC.

Only high backers ($150 and more) have special items or perks like a personal pet. But that's just how kickstarter works. These people (like me) "invested" a lot of money early in development and in return they get a sign of appreciation from the devs. And only very few people have backed on that level compared to the tousands and thousands of people who backed at a "normal" level or just bought the game during Early Access or after release...

I think you're just misinformed and exaggerate based on that misinformation.. And tbh the DLC ingame items are barely noticable in the game anyway. wink
Posted By: JoeBart Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 03:26 AM
Wow buddy, that's a pretty harsh take. If it weren't for the kickstarters you and I probably wouldn't even be playing the game. They deserve a little reward for essentially providing the capital to develop the game upfront, with virtually no guarantee they would get a game they like, much less a game at all.

If you want the reward for being a kickstarter go help to kickstart a game. You'll have to sit around for months on end, perhaps years, to get any return on that. It's almost like going in on a business, and hoping the other guy you backed can actually turn a profit; though on a much, much smaller scale with smaller stakes. Let the kickstarters have their reward, they deserve it.
Posted By: RtM Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 04:10 AM
TBF, it does feel like the early access folks get appreciated a tiny bit more but its understandable. First is first. I just didnt know about the kickstarter thing so missed out. Ho hum.
Posted By: Gyson Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 05:25 AM
Originally Posted by JoeBart
If it weren't for the kickstarters you and I probably wouldn't even be playing the game.

Being completely honest, if it were for Steam Early Access I wouldn't have even heard about this game. While I own the other Divinity titles (through Steam), D:OS wasn't even on my radar - and I love turn-based combat games (and RPGs). I simply had not heard about it at all. None of my friends did, actualy, until it showed up one day on Steam's front page banner with a "now in Early Access" tag.

I'm not even a fan of Steam, but I have to give credit where it's due (in my case).
Posted By: Garod Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 06:00 AM
Gyson,

Shame you didn't hear about it, there were previous in Rock Paper Shotgun, Kotaku, GameSpot, PCGamer.
Some of the more well known game bloggers like Angry Joe, TotalBuiscuit, Joe Cox all previewed this game. Larian had it on their front page of their website. Us weresheep were also actively promoting it where we could.
It'll never reach everyone unfortunately... but just be happy it reached enough folks to raise 1m so we got this awesome game!!! (which if you listen to some of the sites is roughly 1/4 of the total budget for this game)
Posted By: Dark_Ansem Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by Mr. C
Were you in on the Kickstarter campaign? No? Well you can piss off then.

I mean exactly how much content/awards/prizes/benefits do I get to miss out on because I'm not on Kickstarter?

Because you guys are really making me feel like I blew $50.00 bucks to be the ugly girl at the party.

It's cool though. I'll just let everyone know that if you didn't blow money on the kickstarter don't bother buying Larian games because you'll only get X% of what you actually purchased.

Not true. the dlc with kickstarter stuff is already on sale.
Posted By: Gyson Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by Garod

Some of the more well known game bloggers like Angry Joe, TotalBuiscuit, Joe Cox all previewed this game.

I frequently watch their videos. Thing is, I don't subscribe to those channels. I simply seek them out when I've heard about a game I want to know more about. But I have to have heard about the game first before I do that. I never learn about the existence of a game from them first.

That's just the way it is for me. So, in my case, they're handy for previews/reviews, but not for getting the word out early. I guess my approach is more "word of mouth", and I just wasn't hearing about Divinity : OS from anyone.. and that's doubly sad because I work in the games industry. In fact, I keep going to friends in the industry and saying "I know you like these types of games, are you excited about Divinity : Original Sin?" and every single time they have no idea what I'm talking about.

As a fan, it's frustrating. And a little concerning, because the marketing seemed to be fail to reach an audience that surrounds themselves with PC gaming every day. frown I watched one of the recent post-release review videos and from the questions being fielded it seemed obvious that still, even at launch, gamers seemed to be unaware this game exists and are just now hearing about it for the first time. I just don't get it. I was a little annoyed to see some of the press sites not giving it the front page treatment when it launched, instead opting to do their fiftieth article about more mainstream titles that are still in production.

Meh. I want this game to do well.
Posted By: Xwolven Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 06:34 AM

Wow that's like the most Whiney comment I've seen in quite awhile. Are adults seriously this psychologically challenged in this day and age? Simply no empathy at all or logical reasoning skills? Just kneejerk Waaa! Crying like an infant who see's another kid get a new toy and suddenly it's own toys mean nothing.
Seriously man, grow up. Would you act like this in public? There is just no low to how Petty some people will sink.
Posted By: RtM Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 06:42 AM
How very ironical and sarcastical.
Posted By: Garod Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 06:50 AM
@Gyson

Probably has to also do with the fact that Larian is a small Belgium studio. Also I don't think Larian spent allot of $ on marketing hoping word of mouth and a good game will do that for them. Rather they chose to spend the money on a good game. I hope that indeed doesn't bite them in the A^^ but I can appreciate the sentiment.
Posted By: Katreyn Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 07:05 AM
The game you paid for is no different then anyone elses.

The "goodies" are in fact that. They are just something extra and not something that changes or makes their game any better then yours. If you really want some goodies, there is the Source Hunter DLC, but it won't give you any advantage over the normal version.
Posted By: Lord_MacLeod Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 07:52 AM
Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Sorry, pal. rolleyes
Posted By: Robcat Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by Gyson

Some of the more well known game bloggers like Angry Joe, TotalBuiscuit, Joe Cox all previewed this game.

I frequently watch their videos. Thing is, I don't subscribe to those channels. I simply seek them out when I've heard about a game I want to know more about.

I never heard about Wasteland2 until I found out about PoE, which happened by chance (I could easily have missed that too) - I just wasn't paying any attention to gaming media at the time. It's a big wide world out there with plenty going on, folks aren't always going to be aware of all things gaming at every stage in their lives. I'd wager there are plenty of potential Original Sin customers out there, who either haven't heard of the game yet or for whom the game has simply flown under their radar without grabbing their attention.
Posted By: Sinthesizer Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Xwolven

Wow that's like the most Whiney comment I've seen in quite awhile. Are adults seriously this psychologically challenged in this day and age? ...

WELL SAID
Posted By: Mrrockitt Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 08:14 AM
I also knew nothing about this game until hearing about it on the Shroud of the Avatar forums two weeks ago, glad I did though as it's awesome!

As for potential customers I've been boring all my friends about how good it is for the past week wink

Thanks to all those Kickstarters who helped get the game made!

Russ
Posted By: Hassat Hunter Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 08:43 AM
It can get pretty bad. Yes, developers do want to support their Kickstart backers, but then you get morons coming inbound that claim they get an "incomplete game"

I know from another KS-dev (Expedition Conquistador) there was a lot of fuss on Steam forums about "incomplete game" and "I'm going to torrent this to get the full game" over not having our KS-bonus in the version on Steam. And I'm like 'wtf?'
They eventually concluded it would be better to give KS-backers non-ingame rewards so people wont feel as left out, but really... it's just so petty.

Not to mention they no longer use KS anyway since it does open a whole other can of worms.
Do hope Larian can do without now to prevent that, and of course the 'wrath' of backers for delaying 10 days (omg!) and other such silly stuff that KS backers seem to love to blow out of proportions, and make me less and less convinced KS will remain long as a good system to get indie-games funded frown.

Gamers... their own worst enemy frown
Posted By: Mrrockitt Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 08:56 AM
I guess that is one of the many downsides to the Internet, in the days before people could only moan to a few friends who would listen, now their audience numbers in the thousands or even millions! smile
Posted By: cilantroll Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 09:26 AM
IMO, this is easily one of the worst and most damaging opinions I've read here--and possibly the most entitled and immature.

OP's offhanded bitterness is a huge disservice to projects like this. It's one thing to be whiny, but to suggest spreading such an unfair twist of the facts? I sincerely hope such feelings are rare amongst gamers, because wonderful games crafted like D:OS deserve the support of fans, new discoverers and veterans alike who might have followed development since day 1...and not held back by some childish and unreasonable grudge.

If you think anything worth experiencing is only worth attaining during some perceived "special" window of opportunity (that provides backers with totally non-essential little extras)--then that's a crying shame, you'll be missing out on a lot in life.
Posted By: Garod Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
It can get pretty bad. Yes, developers do want to support their Kickstart backers, but then you get morons coming inbound that claim they get an "incomplete game"

I know from another KS-dev (Expedition Conquistador) there was a lot of fuss on Steam forums about "incomplete game" and "I'm going to torrent this to get the full game" over not having our KS-bonus in the version on Steam. And I'm like 'wtf?'
They eventually concluded it would be better to give KS-backers non-ingame rewards so people wont feel as left out, but really... it's just so petty.

Not to mention they no longer use KS anyway since it does open a whole other can of worms.
Do hope Larian can do without now to prevent that, and of course the 'wrath' of backers for delaying 10 days (omg!) and other such silly stuff that KS backers seem to love to blow out of proportions, and make me less and less convinced KS will remain long as a good system to get indie-games funded frown.

Gamers... their own worst enemy frown

Couldn't agree more, folks seem to think KS is a pre-ordering system with additional goodies at a cheaper rate than the game will be.... rather than what it's really intended to be which is to make games happen in the first place. It's always more for less more for less and even more for less. Corporations also do it, they want more of your time for less money so we also want more for less.

I still think KS or some form of tool for gamers to endorse smaller companies is the way to go.
D:OS is a poster child of cutting out the EA's of the world and letting game developers have the reigns again. This can turn out good or bad, that's the risk the backers take for the opportunity of getting a truly great game.
Posted By: Diabolus_Musica Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 10:06 AM
Well I'll say this much, if ever there was a game to back on kickstarter this one turned out to be a real gem. Kickstarter is a little risky since you may pledge hundreds, even thousands, for a project that fails. They don't get any more successful than DOS.
Posted By: Jito463 Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter

While the OP is just whining for attention, I will say this about KS and exclusive items. There were a couple of KS projects I backed (that failed funding), which offered "exclusive" DLC that you could only get if you backed during the KS.

I was planning on getting the tiers with all the DLC anyway, but I made it a point to tell the devs I did not approve of this. DLC that's developed during the game, should not be cut out from the game and made exclusive. If they wanted to charge for it, while I'm not fond of that, it would at least be more acceptable; but to completely make it exclusive so only the KS backers could get it, was just the wrong way to go about it.

One example in the AAA realm, was Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and the "Tong" mission. If you wanted it with the game, you could *ONLY* get it by pre-ordering from Gamestop. That was it, otherwise you had to wait until they offered it for sale. I did so begrudgingly, because there was no way I was missing out on the Tong mission (especially as a huge fan of the original Deus Ex), but I was definitely not happy about it.

Little trinkets, like the message in a bottle stuff, or the "You rock" message to Kickstarter backers is nothing. If they had made an entire level or quest that only KS backers could access, then the OP might have a point. As it is, he's just being a whiny crybaby.

Couldn't agree more, folks seem to think KS is a pre-ordering system with additional goodies at a cheaper rate than the game will be.... rather than what it's really intended to be which is to make games happen in the first place.

This, a thousand times over. I have been trying to make this point to people on KS over and over and over again. It is *NOT* a pre-order platform, it is a funding platform, and the rewards we get are just that, rewards.
Posted By: Zozma Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 03:39 PM
I'm grateful for Kickstarter donors for paying money out of their pocket to make this game better for everyone else when we purchased it at market price. If they get a few extra goodies they've earned it. This is hardly unfair.
Posted By: JoeBart Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by cilantroll
IMO, this is easily one of the worst and most damaging opinions I've read here--and possibly the most entitled and immature.

OP's offhanded bitterness is a huge disservice to projects like this. It's one thing to be whiny, but to suggest spreading such an unfair twist of the facts? I sincerely hope such feelings are rare amongst gamers, because wonderful games crafted like D:OS deserve the support of fans, new discoverers and veterans alike who might have followed development since day 1...and not held back by some childish and unreasonable grudge.

If you think anything worth experiencing is only worth attaining during some perceived "special" window of opportunity (that provides backers with totally non-essential little extras)--then that's a crying shame, you'll be missing out on a lot in life.

I agree wholeheartedly Cilantroll. The Kickstarters are the folks "risking" their money for a product that may or may not be delivered. Larian has decided to thank these people with a few extras for their backing. For a "non-backer" to expect the same sort of treatment for buying a release version of the game is ridiculous.

The sense of entitlement in the OP is very strong.

Full disclosure: I'm not a kickstarter, I bought Steam early access and have received no extras.
Posted By: RtM Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 03:42 PM
The OP's conveniently disappeared.
Posted By: Gyson Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Diabolus_Musica
Well I'll say this much, if ever there was a game to back on kickstarter this one turned out to be a real gem. Kickstarter is a little risky since you may pledge hundreds, even thousands, for a project that fails. They don't get any more successful than DOS.

Well, D:OS was a little different from many Kickstarter games in that there was already a game there, and it was being done by an established developer, and not just a few guys saying "Hey, I've got an idea I'd like to make reality with your help". It was going to come out no matter what, the only question was how much they could deliver on.

In that respect, Steam Early Access faces high risks as well as there is zero guarantee that you'll get a game that is any different than the day it first becomes available in that program (especially now that Valve has made it clear they won't be stepping in to protect backers anymore).

To hear Swen explain it in the release video, Kickstarter provided the word of mouth necessary to get the game to do well on Steam Early Access, and SEA provided the funding needed to get all those extra ideas into the game, with both providing the feedback needed to get D:OS to where it is today. Although, in my case, seeing the game show up on the front-page scroll banner of Steam was the only "word of mouth" I had, heh.
Posted By: Hassat Hunter Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Jito463
One example in the AAA realm, was Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and the "Tong" mission. If you wanted it with the game, you could *ONLY* get it by pre-ordering from Gamestop. That was it, otherwise you had to wait until they offered it for sale. I did so begrudgingly, because there was no way I was missing out on the Tong mission (especially as a huge fan of the original Deus Ex), but I was definitely not happy about it.

Odd. Here in the Benelux every copy of Deus Ex: HR came with all DLC (Tong mission, weapons etc), doesn't matter where you got it from, all of them had it.

But yeah, I do usually wait for Gold Editions due to this DLC trend... Watch_Dogs I want to play, but not enough that I won't wait for a full package at cheaper.
Of course; that's not quite the same as what's a KS-reward.
Posted By: Jito463 Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 04:43 PM
I should have clarified, in the US it was the only way. It was an "exclusive" DLC package, that you could only get if you pre-ordered from a specific retailer. You couldn't even get it by pre-ordering on Steam, and the game required Steam to play. It was very frustrating. As you said, though, it's not exactly the same thing. I was simply using it as a similar frame of reference.
Posted By: Tywyll Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 05:43 PM
Stop bitching. I couldnt afford to back the KS at the time (sadly) and I am not going to whine about it. You really arent missing much, I am just gutted I couldnt help contribute to an amazing game.
Posted By: DukeMcFishy Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 07:36 PM
I would like to thank the kick starter people.

I didn't hear about the game before it went on Early Access on Steam, but thanks in part of the kickstarter people we got this awesome game. Thumbs up to them! To give them a little extra is fair in my opinion. I got absolutely no problem with that.
Posted By: RtM Re: Hey, you bought our game? Cool. - 04/07/14 09:00 PM
All I wanted was the cloth map but apparently it's of cheap quality. frown
© Larian Studios forums