Larian Studios
Posted By: Vedros Suggestions: Fixes and Features! (join in!) - 05/07/14 04:05 AM
I'll start this off.

1. Turn down the voice reverb indoors. The horrendous echo effect is way overdone. How does this happen?

2. More than 10 hotkey slots viewable. This needs to be customizable. 10 IS NOT ENOUGH! Also, the little tiny arrows to switch between the existing 10 slot hotkey bars are WAY TOO SMALL. There should be customizable hotkeys for this!

3. 20% higher zoom out. Seriously why is my face planted to the ground?

4 The ability to drag and drop items from within our iventory to a container that is also in our inventory.

Join in! Lets get this game refined to legendary status!
That's a great start, the reverb indoors has been driving me nuts too. Here's a few more:

1. Support for custom portraits
2. More hairstyles/colors (including a "true" black color)
3. Some of the traits should probably be altered, particularly the combination of Leech and Comeback Kid which leads to (almost) immortal status because Leech always leaves you with more than 1 health left. Also casting bloodletting on a character with Leech insta-heals them to full health.

multiplayer characters you can bring into games instead of having to play their character companion.
-Inventory: "auto sort" (keep order, just make them line up without empty space)
-Change "improve plate armor" from Crafting to Blacksmithing.
-Phoenix Dive should do damage and/or leave its fire trail the moment you land, not several turns later
-Tripping on Ice should only knock down for one round, not three(!).
-Hall of Scerets: Skill and Attribute books can be purchased EACH TIME YOU LEVEL UP. That should be limited to once per game (or character).
-When you smelt a 2h sword it should only yield a single small bar back. (I've been using the same large iron bar for the whole game by re-smelting the same sword every level up).
-You should be able to smelt plate armor to small iron bars.
-Implement "create plate armor / bracers" to blacksmithing (e.g. 2x plate scraps => Large Scrap => Armor)
-Add the dye vendor to the first town >_< (or did I miss him?)
-Option to have all 3 hotbars visible or implement at least a shortcut to move through them (shift+1/+2 or something)
-Let us configure the shortcuts of the hotbar(s)
-Cap skills that don't have additional benefit after max level to 5 in the character screen. It's very misleading. (e.g. Blacksmithing, Crafting)
-Leech seems bugged. I get healed every time I'm hit, making my tank almost immortal. Should increase the heal amount, but limit it to once per turn.
-KEEP OPENED BAGS ON TOP!!!!!!!!
-Save GUI position. I drag the combat log window down, only to find it reset upon reloading. Also, I want to open character 1's inventory on the left, 2 in the middle and 3 on the right. Also resets when I reload.
NPSc e.g. in Cyseal are shouting the same in short frequency. That nerves BIG time, makes e.g. concentrated reading of dialog texts very difficult.
Brings me almost close to turn off the sound completely.

Several first impression reviewers have mentioned this as annoying as well.

Maybe let the player hear this repeated stuff twice, but then stop it. Or reduce the frequency drastically.
1) I would like to click on the World Map and then change to the normal view to select a Point to go. (Only in uncovered areas). To scroll on the normal view to find the location is anoying.

2) More zoom please

3) Leave Dialogs per ESC Key

4) A maximized Window to play with 2 Monitors
I think it's not how things should work: if my characters can't target (see) through smoke screens (like when combine fire-water, fire-oil), then why enemies can do it perfectly easy?
Missing feature for me:
Mute sound if the game is minimized
-fix the bugged action point consumption when in cast sequence and another skill is selected
-more hotkey slots and/or hotkeys for switching (as suggested shift + number or shift + mouse wheel)
-save position of windows (inventory, chat window,etc.) and group formation
-pause in single player (in esc menu)
-dex weapons with crushing (e.g. blackjack is more of a dex than str weapon) and slashing (e.g. whip?)
-little arrow on enemy ground circles; sometimes hard to tell where the back is (and i like my daggers in the back)
Conversation system (multiplayer)

- Keep the text above a non-playable or playable character (his lines) onscreen longer or until the player clicks on Continue or selects an answer.
OR
- If both players are close to a character talking, put the text on the usual dialogue box or a similar window.

- Let the player able to display the combat log (dialogues) during a conversation between his character and his/her companion

HUD

- Larger texts for descriptions of skills from the hotbar
- Larger texts for the combat log (or at least conversations)
- Larger portraits in the dialogue box

- More various portraits
- More muscles on the female Source-Hunter (at least if she's a warrior :p )

In conclusion, improve the co-op dialogue. wink It is difficult to understand the storyline or the quests when texts keep coming and we don't know what the character played by the other player said. But I know you're working on that.
Pick up the pyramid automatically after a jump.

Take your time to develop a "real" crafting system beyond dragging an iron bar to another. Crafting "platform" should provide more info than "boosted" or "rat tail ring."
A new option

- Press ALT to toggle view items, On/Off - Instead of pressing each time.
- Or always show item on the ground option.
-Tripping on Ice should only knock down for one round, not three(!).

1. Turn down the voice reverb indoors.

Also, the little tiny arrows to switch between the existing 10 slot hotkey bars are WAY TOO SMALL.

Originally Posted by Etdashou
A new option

- Press ALT to toggle view items, On/Off - Instead of pressing each time.
- Or always show item on the ground option.

Yes please! I run around holding down the alt key so that I can collect everythingb as I don't always hear the character announce that he's found something, nor can I often even tell that something is able to be picked up like weeds etc. Most items simply blend into the ground from the normal view distance that I view my game from.

I honestly can't imagine it being that difficult to add an option in the game options panel to allow players to make the alt function a toggle and then build in the function to the game so that those that want to make the ALT function a toggle could do so.

I reviewed a small list of suggestions that I made back in January with this one being in the list. Apparently they either never saw it or don't think anybody else would want such a thing.

Please add a toggle for the ALT function, it's obvious that I'm not alone in wanting this and fans of Larian can try to tell me how I don't need such a thing until their blue in the face, but it won't change my mind that I do need this to make the game more enjoyable to me.
Features :

- PLEASE use a Borderlands-type co-op system: dissociate the character sheet from his/her progression in the game, and let us use our own characters when joining a co-op game! Co-op is the only reason why my brothers and I bought this game, and we are so f***ed now...

- You can also provide a multi-host system by sync-ing the game status with a server when the last person disconnects from the game, which would allow anyone of the people invited in this co-op session to launch it whenever they want, by sync-ing back from the common server where all sessions instances would be host (at least only when more than 1 player is playing them)

- Toggle ALT for viewing items

- Save sort order in inventory, and auto-sort when adding new items in it. This will also prevent holes from appearing.

Please, greatly improve the coop system, it is so totally flawed, which is a pity because otherwise the game is really, really GREAT!

Thanks in advance,
Suggestion:
Let me create characters and save them individually and then choose to use them in a game.

For example, I pre-create a bunch of customized characters, and then when I wish to play a game, I should be able to choose the one or two of them that I want to put together into my new game.

So, I might have a list of 50 different customized characters that I can then choose one or two from to start a new game with as there will be many times that I want to create the same characters and use them again and again in new games.
1) Make weapons go on the hotbar, so you can easilly switch weapons. Or make a weapon switch button, just so you don't have to do the whole open inventory thing and drag around in the middle of combat. Searching for your bow or your dagger in your stuffed inventory gets old really fast.

2) People complain on the difficulty. I feel it is the exploding undead that are difficult. Get past them and things start to advance much easier. The explosions are often not understood by the players, it's like someone is dropping napalm on the scene. Exploding Zombies when you hit them. Standing still is okay but then you move and are dead from full health.

Undead should be fought with blunt weapons you are told several hours in. Yet all chars you make start with daggers and swords. Undeads are weak to fire, but the henchman you get is air and water. No fire untill level 4 or something for him. Developers can say, lets help the players, but here it is as if they thought the opposite.

3) My first start the Char creation proposed a Knight and a Wizard. I am not sure if this is preferred, but as a new player you think that this is probably a good place to start. Well I had plays where the only 2 henchman I could find, where the same classes as the chars I rolled.

4) Getting frosen is okay, but then falling and out for several rounds is annoying. For the char in question or another char. In turn based they run right into it, in open play they all walk around hazards. It does sometime feel as if you can hear the developers gladly yell: HA, MISTAKE!

5) The random AI or the whole roleplay thingy between the chars is not finished and should have been left out. I chose a random AI and it is utterly random and not one of several random personalities. First my sidekick insisted we kill the 2 drunk guards, and I was rockpaperscissor overruled.

Then he wanted to talk to me about how wrong it was to kill those guards. Then we meet the charmed orc lady and he insists on killing her too. And I was overruled by the very out of place rockpaperscissors.

Then we meet the wizard henchman and he refuses to let me have the henchman join the party. Well I found out I could just control him and say yes and my main char would then agree. I decided to reroll. I now have NO AI, which I think is also a nuisance as I am now doing the talking for both of them. Loyal is maybe the way to get past this unfinished business the easy way?
Freely rotate the camera
Originally Posted by Lideln
Freely rotate the camera
You can freely rotate the camera in 360 degrees by checking the option in the games control panel.

It warns you that it was made more for player created modules and that you may see graphic artifacts as the main campaign was not designed for you to rotate the screen 360 degrees

I use it on the main campaign as the game is FAR too frustrating when I can only rotate my view a slight bit that the game allows when we don't turn on that feature. Many times I feel like I'm missing seeing stuff on the ground hidden behind objects or walls even though they designed the game not to place objects in areas that we'd not be able to see.

Anyway, you can rotate 360 degrees although we can't change the tilt as freely or at all for that matter.
Make objects (moved by telekinesis) take damage when colliding with characters. I am near the beginning of the game and killing stuff by tele-throwing heavy things at them is way too easy.
Originally Posted by FelixDK
1) Make weapons go on the hotbar, so you can easilly switch weapons.

This one is doable now.
Suggest: Skillbook highlights;
What I'd really like to see involves skillbooks.

When I highlight a skillbook in a vendors inventory, it should highlight any thing that I can't do in red text to indicate that I won't be able to currently use that skill book.

For examples... If I am looking at a skill book at the vendor and it requires that I have the Hydrophysist skill but my character does not have that skill, then the word Hydrophysisist should be written in red to tell me that I won't be able to use that skill book at the present time. Basically do what you've already started to do with regards to how the level requirement is written in red if I'm not of a high enough level to use the skill book.

I'm actually quite surprised that you guys at Larian have not added the necessary skill to the skill book under the level requirement so that players know if they meet all the criteria to use the skill book or not.

Sure, there are many that know their characters inside and out but I'm getting old, my brain is farting dust at times so it's hard for me to keep track of these things and I don't really feel the desire to go and try to remember what skills my character has before making every purchase.

This really should go across the board on every item, anything that would prevent the character from using an item (bought, dropped or found) should be listed in red text on the items info sheet. Not terribly important on dropped and found items since their free anyway, but definitely important on items that we can buy.
^Right. To take it another step (has been asked in beta btw) is when you are buying from a vendor, whomever you have focus on character wise bartering, things that cannot be used by that person would be in Red. As you cycle through your players those items would be refreshed (red or not) for that player.

In addition to, anything that is the same, stack it.

Originally Posted by Horrorscope
Originally Posted by FelixDK
1) Make weapons go on the hotbar, so you can easilly switch weapons.

This one is doable now.

Best Devs make best fix smile
I would love to see an interior "fog of war" like system, where if you are in a building, you can't see other rooms at all, except for the current room you are in.

Originally Posted by Jaesun
I would love to see an interior "fog of war" like system, where if you are in a building, you can't see other rooms at all, except for the current room you are in.

Actually, they kind of do have that. For example, the room with the second pyramid. Unless you're moving past a window, you can't see everything inside. And you definitely lose track of the NPC inside.
I like the interactivity in the game, but let's examine a particular case: when you talk to the mortician he claims he suspects Evelyn because of reasons, but also that Theylon purchased a shack infested with the undead.

Yet you cannot ask the mortician about the shack (considering it was his, he should know, for instance, where it is). You also cannot ask Theylon about it, even though he apparently paid for it. It only comes up in that little bit of dialogue and for being an important lead that seems like a fairly gross oversight.

There are bits like this peppered through the game where it's either a false lead but you can't ask about it, or important but you have to find the answer in a very specific spot. I'm not sure if THIS is the type of suggestions you are looking for, but even if it isn't a bug it affects your ability to play the game. If the game believes I'm intelligent enough to follow clues, it should be intelligent to allow me to ask really obvious questions.
Be able to move and lock the camera in a more FPS/3PS type of view. I can see how impressive and good looking the game is zooming all the way into battle. To be able to really control the angle a bit more would be an awesome way to play-through the game again. I do assume that this will come from a mod at some point if not official.
Originally Posted by falcon68
multiplayer characters you can bring into games instead of having to play their character companion.

The problem with importing characters into someone else's game is you can bring in items from later quests and it might have adverse effects on the main module's progression.

I personally would not be happy if someone came into my module with 3 bloodstone shards, and messed up my end of time progress, or they had a quest item that closed out a quest line that I hadn't even looked at yet.
Just noticed this thread, which is probably a better place for my mini-rant than the new thread I had just started. Anyway, here goes...

I posted a thread on this for the D:OS alpha (apparently that thread has now died of old age... boo), and another for the beta (http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=485218#Post485218), but since the UI remains the least polished element of D:OS (IMHO, and in the opinions of others I see on the forums), I'm back here yet again in the hope Larian includes some much-needed UI improvements with upcoming game patches. You can read the beta thread linked above for a lot more requests, but the select few UI issues that still annoy the heck out of me remain:

1) Items should be consistently arranged in the same item grid slot order in all NPC trading and current player inventory menus

2) Left-clicking (rather than left-clicking-and-holding/dragging) on an item within the inventory menu should allow you to pick it up

3) Activating a character via its portrait or the "F1"-"F4" keys should also switch to that character's inventory or skills menu, if open

4) Character portrait order (on the upper-left of the screen) and formations should be saved/retained upon loading
(this one was a new bug introduced late in the beta that was still in the earliest version of the final release, but hopefully it's being/been fixed)

The other improvements I personally would like to see in a truly polished D:OS UI are below. Feel free to comment/add/whatever!

INVENTORY/CHARACTER AND TRADING MENUS/CONTROLS

1) All items of an identical type (except equipment) should stack with each other in the inventory and trading menus
(this may be largely fixed in the latest release version)
Items that should stack, but don't: all "junk" (i.e. (large) bottles, broken bottles, (flower) pots, globes, lab junk, plates, tubes, vials, vial racks), arrow shafts, arrows/arrowheads (identical types), books (including all identical recipe and blank skillbooks), bonedust, empty bottles, folded shirts, golden cups, golden spoons, nine inch nails, parchment, pillows, pixie dust, rope, soap, starfish, wooden figurines, apples/bottles of beer/cups of water/drudenae/hams/herrings/logs/minor healing potions/roasted pork dishes/skulls (only some items of these types currently stack with each other), "Cyseal Pie" and "Cyseal Fish Pie" (duplicates?), etc.

2) A "Sort By Type" inventory sorting option should be added

3) A key ring (functioning as an "openable" container) to automatically store all acquired keys should be added

4) An option to tag/mark items as "junk" for later quick/one-click sale should be added

5) An option to manually type the number of items to move/trade from within a stack should be added

6) Each NPC's Identify/Repair ability levels should be displayed in the NPC's trading menu

7) The effects of both the player's Barter ability and the NPC's attitude on price should be shown in each item's trading tooltip

8) The value of every stat/ability modified from its base value should be displayed in a different color in the inventory menu
Stat/ability values still aren't color-coded in blue/purple when altered from their base values by traits - e.g. Reputation by the Altruistic trait, Crafting by the Pragmatic trait, etc.

9) Ability tooltips that still need to describe exact percentage/numerical effects
Body Building, Willpower, Charisma, Lucky Charm, Offense Rating (doesn't include +3/level effect of Lucky Charm)

10) After drinking from a container (bottle/cup/mug/flask/etc.), an empty container should generate in the player's inventory

CRAFTING/IDENTIFICATION/REPAIR MENUS/CONTROLS

1) Crafting overhaul
A new dedicated crafting window in which items can be combined should be added; recipe information for at least those recipes the player has successfully crafted should be explicitly listed in the format "A = B + C" in the journal; for sample mockups, see: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=34882&Number=494715#Post494715

2) Loremaster/Identify overhaul (current click-intensive system is extremely tedious, and adds no challenge)
If a player has an identifying glass and sufficient Loremaster ability, all items (items that are picked up, as well as items displayed in all trading menus) should be identified automatically (except those beyond the player's ability)

3) Blacksmithing/Repair overhaul (current click-intensive system is extremely tedious, and adds no challenge)
If a player has a repair hammer and sufficient Blacksmithing ability, a new "Repair All" icon/button usable only outside combat should repair all items equipped by the party with one click (except those too damaged for the player's ability)

COMBAT MENUS/CONTROLS

1) The ability to attack enemies with "regular" (non-skill) attacks by clicking their icon at the top of the screen should be added
I.e. similar to how attacking with skills works currently

2) A "facing" indicator should be added to the circle under each enemy's feet to aid with backstab positioning

DIALOGUE AND NPC INTERACTION MENUS/CONTROLS

1) The effects of a dialogue choice on a Trait should be displayed next to the choice

2) NPC dialogue options previously chosen by the player should be "dimmed"/"grayed"

3) A more convenient method of ending an NPC dialogue at any time is needed
E.g. by hitting "ESC" to exit the dialogue screen, and/or moving the "end dialogue" speech option to the top or side of the list from its current usual position at the bottom in situations where dialogue can't be skipped for quest reasons, the "end dialogue" option may then be disabled

4) The player should be able to attempt to pickpocket each NPC repeatedly
But there should be a higher chance of discovery on subsequent attempts, due to the NPC being aware he/she lost something earlier

GENERAL MENUS/CONTROLS

1) "ALT" should consistently highlight all items/containers within the player's sight range
Currently, most items as well as chests (but no other containers, like barrels/baskets/crates/vases) are highlighted; however, some useful items are never highlighted (e.g. pillows, soap, whetstones), and neither are any "junk" items ((large) bottles, broken bottles, (flower) pots, globes, lab junk, plates, tubes, vials, vial racks although the non-highlighting of junk may be intentional); also, probably due to errors in calculating the player's sight range, many items placed on certain wall shelving or bookshelves, tables, sloped ground, etc. aren't highlighted (e.g. the fishing rod in the tutorial dungeon, items on the table in front of Esmerelda's shop, items on shelving/bookshelves inside Esmerelda's shop/Aureus's office/the cook's house/at the back of Bellegar's cave, items around the forge/anvil area above Cyseal west gate, the plants in the End of Time living quarters garden, items on the sloped paths just outside the lighthouse/just west of the cultist church, etc.); finally, although this should be an optional toggle in the main menu to satisfy both those who enjoy and those who hate pixel-hunting, there should be an option to make item/container highlighting always automatically active

2) All keyboard controls should be fully reassignable in the "Controls" menu
E.g. ALT is currently locked for item highlighting, etc.

3) The camera "zoom out" height/range should be increased

4) A "pause" function should be added
The game should have the option to auto-pause when a popup appears, or when the game menu is opened

5) All custom map markers should be fully editable
Currently, you can add a marker by left-clicking on the map (sometimes it's glitchy), and can delete a marker by right-clicking it, but there should be an easy way to select and edit the description for each existing marker as well

6) Pathfinding enhancements
Party members should always automatically avoid damage floors/environments (not only traps); where a damage area can't be avoided (e.g. a tight corridor), the player should be required to manually control any party member who must walk through the damage area; a new formation "Follow the exact steps of the controlled character" could also help

7) Hotbar/skill menu enhancements
Add a tooltip to each skill stating the skill category to which it belongs (e.g. "Fire Magic"); add new assignable keyboard shortcuts to switch between hotbars and/or increase the size of the hotbar switching icons; add the ability to assign an entire skill category to one hotbar slot, such that right-clicking the "Fire Magic" slot (for example) would open the player's Fire Magic skillbook menu; for sample mockup, see http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=34882&Number=494624#Post494624

8) Character creation enhancements
Add a true "classless" option (with no pre-assigned attributes/abilities/talents/skills, and with the option to name the class); allow editing of starting equipment
+1 to "camera zoom out height increase
also I am really bothered by the automatic movement/jumps of the camera while in combat.

Many good suggestions in here. Lets keep it up. That way Larian has one big address to look at :hihi:
Maybe someone could start to collect/summarize all the (valid) suggestions

I faced an annoying problem recently and I was wondering if something could be done about it.
I was walking around a town, selling my stuff, talking to people, etc.
And then I missclick on an item in front of me and it gives me the status of "stealer" and the guys around me started to attack me. I didn't want to start a fight with the whole town and it screwed the way I played for 15 hours of game time just because I clicked 3 pixels on the left - instead of moving. Reloading was not an option as I "forgot" to quick save for 30 min...

Perhaps:

1- Force to press CTRL on keyboard when you are about to take an item that is red. Similar to doors where you Attack them instead of trying to Open them. I really like this option.
2- or add an option that we can turn on/off where a popup would appear asking you: "Are you sure to steal etc."
3- Don't do anything when you are Sneaking, because when you sneak well... that is the whole purpose and you must face the consequences of your choices.

I know that recently Larian studios have been doing fix patch which is totally normal, but I can't wait to see how they will support improvment to their games!!
We all agree the have to fix the UI that is awfull (toolbar, inventory etc...)
I would'nt say better but the user interface could, indeed, be largely improved.

Reading the dialogues in the combat log is impossible (texts too tiny and too much info), the arrows in the hobar are too tiny and some items are represented by a strange icon in the inventory (a belt for an armor ?).

And I think we are all waiting for more portraits. :p
Firstly just a copy-paste from another thread...

When I select a skill to use and have to select the target, let me use F1-F4 to target my party members. That's the first thing I tried, intuitively, but the only result is changing the active character.

Give me the option to pay for items with gold or items from SEVERAL CHARACTERS. Right now when I try to do this, the game mockingly asks me if I want to really change the characters and reset the trade. No I don't! I want to add stuff to the trade from the other characters to make the experience more pleasant for myself.

And why the love for having to hold down the mouse button while doing anything? Click-and-hold to move stuff to my bag, click-and-hold to move, click-and-hold to craft. I mean, left-clicking items in the inventory DOES NOTHING, so there's no reason not to initiate dragging by left-clicking, and initiate dropping by left-clicking. You could even have both. (As has been requested before.)

There's a context menu to move items to other characters. Add an option to this context menu to move stuff to my open bags. Then highlight the open bag while I hover over the option so I know where it's going.

Then give the ability to select multiple items, so I can just send all those 20 items to the bag in one go instead of having to do the whole thing 20 times.

And about the map as well... While in main game screen, WASD moves the camera around. While the map is open, WASD does nothing. How about making WASD move the map around? Instead of having to click-and-hold here as well. And when I click on the map, I want my characters to move to that spot.

Esc should not close the inventory before closing the windows opened from within the inventory. If I open a book from the inventory and hit Esc, my inventory is closed but the book stays open.

Using bags is just a total drag. I open a bag. It opens on top of my inventory. I start to drag an item to the bag, the inventory becomes the active window and blocks my bag. I have to move either the bag or the inventory out of the way to get something into the bag. And the next time I open the bag, the same deal. If you're really gonna make me do this, at least open the bag somewhere else. Same with other characters' inventories; if there's room on the screen, open them somewhere else so I don't always have to manually move them around. I cannot open my bag in the trade window. So I organise nice and tidy, and when it comes the time to sell, I have to do the whole reverse drag business to get it sold. When I use bags, I don't think "awesome, now my scrolls and stuff aren't littering the inventory", I only think "is this really worth all the trouble I'm gonna have..."
joining this thread

1- Hitting F1,2,3,4, or clicking on a portrait, should switch to that person's inventory, NOT bring up a new one

2- More sorting options. It's great that I can select between weapons and armor but why stop there. Why not have a "resource tab" that includes skillbooks, scrolls, and arrows; furthermore, why not have a "quest" tab for quest related items, notes, books.
This will make sorting items into the backpack much less tedious

3- A truenpause button would be great, especially if you have pet pal and can't target a creature or if you want to plan out your tactics before battle

4- Some journal entries need more clarification, especially when the quest has been more or less "done" and you just need to find where the thankful npcs are (e.g. the arhu robot quest)

5-a faster running speed while in safe zones would be nice. getting around town can be a chore

6-it would be cool if when a party member detects a trap the whole party stops moving. it makes sense for them to do so and would make you appreciate the skill much more

7- there needs to be a way to make the whole party go in stealth mode

As you can see, my biggest concern is the inventory, the rest are little tweaks that would make the game much more enjoyable
Yeah, we need to keep hope alive that Larian will incorporate at least some of these UI requests in future patches. I've seen nothing from them on this officially, but I know I'm far from the only player who's been spamming these forums with many of these same requests for the past few months. Please? wink
Of what I understand they do not plan to add features and improvment. They will fix some bugs and then work on something else to add content on the game if selling continue to go well. In the PCGamer interview nowhere they mentionnend interface improvment. Some stuff could be done to make this game a perfect gem but oh well., the game works.
Biggest problem with this game right night IMO: skills are not shared across the party.

Skills like loremaster, crafting, bartering etc. should always be based on the best in the party.

The way things are now, it's often frustrating.. IE, I want to repair something, I have to transfer items from the character with the damaged goods to the repair person, then back and re-equip. Why not just recognize that this would be possible and let it happen without transferring items?

One frustrating case of this is in combat. If someone has loremaster, I only get to see the stats on the enemy when it's their turn. Why not just let everyone see the stats, ie, base that skill check on the best in the group.

You don't want to do this everywhere, but in places where you could effect the same thing by transferring items to the right character then back, you're really just optimizing the UI, and it would be a huge help!
For repair, just use the repair tool from their inventory, and it uses their stats even if you repair an item of anothr person.
Random button in character creation akin to baldur's gate/might & magic/etc,

and a way to turn tutorial messages off (really major turnoff to starting new games for me... having to go thru all these messages again, even joining someones game if they reload, all messages restart)
Originally Posted by Etdashou
Of what I understand they do not plan to add features and improvment. They will fix some bugs and then work on something else to add content on the game if selling continue to go well. In the PCGamer interview nowhere they mentionnend interface improvment. Some stuff could be done to make this game a perfect gem but oh well., the game works.

Right, I know they don't plan to add new features, but I'd think fixing some commonly cited issues with the existing UI wouldn't really be considered anything "new." And from what I'm reading on the forums over the past couple days, the recent patch(es?) are in fact making changes to the UI (e.g. how inventory window locations are displayed on-screen). Anyway, I'd be pretty disappointed if they didn't do at least a little more in this area with future patches (e.g. see some of the requests in my previous post in this thread, but there are of course lots of other similar requests on the forums).

Totally agreed the game is a lot of fun, and I'm happy I backed on Kickstarter, but with a little more effort to make existing UI features more usable, it could go from really good to great.
I think D:OS has a long life in front of it with all those MODs I expect will come. Larian has said they will support the toolset. So I expect the game will have a long tail in sales (meaning that sales will not drop rapidly quickly)

I do not expect Larian do all this for free. They have to make a living too.

So if we get a (paid) expansion pack at some point it would only be natural to see improvements to other parts of the game/engine/ui at the same time.
The constant recentering of the camera in combat is annoying. If I shoot an explosive arrow at a bunch of enemies far away, the camera will center on the SHOOTER before shooting the arrow, leaving the actual targets off-screen. I will then have to look at the very convoluted combat log (since explosive arrows set burning, the rolls for everyone are in there and so on) to decipher how much damage I did exactly, instead of just seeing it with my own eyes. The camera also centers on characters whose turn it is. I find this suboptimal. Most of the time I center on the enemies. If I have a melee character, he/she already is where the enemies are most of the battle. If it's a ranged character, I honestly don't really care where exactly he/she is. I only really care about his line of sight to the enemies and his proximity to the enemies. And I find both of these out by just staring at the enemies, not the character. Thus, I constantly find myself WASDing to interrupt the annoying camera auto-movements, which also is pretty annoying.
Originally Posted by Vedros
3. 20% higher zoom out. Seriously why is my face planted to the ground?
This is my biggest grip on the interface, it should be possible to zoom out more (though I'd like 100% more zoom out). Or alternatively, provide the option of an over-shoulder viewpoint like NWN/NWN2 (or Divinity 2 for that matter) which would make more sense for exploration.
Originally Posted by Zukuu
-Option to have all 3 hotbars visible or implement at least a shortcut to move through them (shift+1/+2 or something)
Being able to "stack" the hotbars so all are visible and to move/resize them would be a plus. Especially since they can now cover part of the combat log.
Originally Posted by Zukuu
-Save GUI position. I drag the combat log window down, only to find it reset upon reloading.
Agreed - I would also like to be able to adjust the size of text in the combat log since even small combats can generate dozens of lines. And please condense the damage reports to one line - so rather than saying "X receives 10 points Poison damage"/"X receives 10 points Fire damage"/"X receives 10 points Water damage" show "X receives 30 points damage (10 Poison, 10 Fire, 10 Water)".
Originally Posted by MikeAlpha
NPSc e.g. in Cyseal are shouting the same in short frequency. That nerves BIG time, makes e.g. concentrated reading of dialog texts very difficult.
The frequency seems OK given the context (a crowded marketplace) but more variety in content would be a good thing. I'm getting seriously tired of Gorgombert. wink
Originally Posted by Nanoloque
- Larger texts for descriptions of skills from the hotbar
- Larger texts for the combat log (or at least conversations)
- Larger portraits in the dialogue box
I'd argue for smaller text, but I'm guessing it scales with resolution and I'm playing at 2560x1600. Being able to adjust text size up or down generally would be a definite improvement though. And being able to set a different size for the combat log (which can produce reams of text) would be even better.
Originally Posted by Pimpollo
3- A truenpause button would be great, especially if you have pet pal and can't target a creature or if you want to plan out your tactics before battle
Another important feature - aside from animals, some NPCs (like the King Crab innkeeper) keep moving constantly, making it difficult to select them for conversation.
Posted By: meme Re: Suggestions: Fixes and Features! (join in!) - 17/07/14 11:57 AM
I have three complaints:
1) Loot later in the game is really bad. I can frequenlty buy or make items better than I find; and rather hard fights usually result in pitiful low level loot (i.e, boreas level 5 loot; I find the key to source king chest at level 20 and it has level 8 loot; so on). Personally I think you should be able to find or obtain loot that is better than what you can craft (though enhancing found loot via crafting is a plus) or buy.

2) I cannot get some quest to close and it is not clear at all.

Two examples:

I talked the imp to return to frederick and then the next step of the quest is to make a courage potion but since i already talked him into returning and he left the cave I have no clue where he is to give him the potion.

I managed to get the orc and humans to fight and I think all the orcs are dead but the quest fails to close.
-
I have 3 more open quets like the 3 above
-
3) I have arrived at the temple door and have 12 inert stones (btw only one portal in end of time has opened which seems odd for 12 stones) and the door won't open. THere is no real indication of how many stones I need or where I might find them and the world is fairly big for this sort of sorry you can't finish the game because you might have missed some corner of the map or maybe a secret exit somewhere and there are no clues at all where I should begin searching for this missing stone(s) (no clue how many are missing either).
Meme, if you're going to include spoilers please use the appropriate tag to hide them from public view. Better yet, remove those details and place them in an appropriate thread since they aren't UI issues (either the quests are bugged or you've missed a step in completing them).
Originally Posted by Singbird
The constant recentering of the camera in combat is annoying. If I shoot an explosive arrow at a bunch of enemies far away, the camera will center on the SHOOTER before shooting the arrow, leaving the actual targets off-screen. I will then have to look at the very convoluted combat log (since explosive arrows set burning, the rolls for everyone are in there and so on) to decipher how much damage I did exactly, instead of just seeing it with my own eyes. The camera also centers on characters whose turn it is. I find this suboptimal. Most of the time I center on the enemies. If I have a melee character, he/she already is where the enemies are most of the battle. If it's a ranged character, I honestly don't really care where exactly he/she is. I only really care about his line of sight to the enemies and his proximity to the enemies. And I find both of these out by just staring at the enemies, not the character. Thus, I constantly find myself WASDing to interrupt the annoying camera auto-movements, which also is pretty annoying.

Good suggestion. I also find the constant centering of the camera in combat very annoying.

I don't mind the camera centering on my party member as much as when it centers on an enemy. Often when an enemy uses a ranged attack I have to WASD (SEDF for me) the camera to see who in my party the ranged attack hits.

I wish centering on enemies in combat and centering on party members in combat could be turned off separately.
Suggestions for new Talents

Jailbreaker
Prerequisites: None
Gives you a bonus point in Lockpicking and you do not need a Lockpick to pick a lock.
Reasoning: Lockpicking is kind of weak right now, especially early game. Taking this talent early allows you to get a jump-start on your Lockpicking character, if you're willing to commit. Extra useful if you actually do wind up in jail somehow.

Mind Over Matter
Prerequisites: None
Gives you 2 bonus points in Telekinesis but you lose a point in Strength.
Reasoning: Mostly for kicks... wondering if anyone would find a use for this one. Telekinesis, after all, is oddly handy at times.

Don't Fear the Reaper
Prerequisites: Witchcraft 5
You cannot die while you have a summon, even if you are reduced to 0 Vitality.
Reasoning: Each other school of magic has a powerful talent for reaching maximum ranks. This would give Witchcraft its own.
Thanks Hassat, that is a nice workaround smile
Man I wish I had the opportunity to have worked on this game. Would have spent evenings and weekends tweaking the inventory and some other junk. So close to greatness but the clunkiness gets in the way frown
My main one is that old (irrelevant) conversations options are either removed entirely or they are moved under another level

<New dialog option>
<new dialog options>
<Old Dialogs>
--------<Who are you>
--------<Tell me about cyseal>
<Exit conversation>

Otherwise it gets hard to see what is new when you go back to talk to someone.
Originally Posted by kallin
So close to greatness but the clunkiness gets in the way frown

My thoughts exactly - but there are still more patches coming, and the Larian people are no slackers; still hoping we'll see more UI tweaks/improvements soon.
Originally Posted by Nanoloque
Conversation system (multiplayer)

- Keep the text above a non-playable or playable character (his lines) onscreen longer or until the player clicks on Continue or selects an answer.
OR
- If both players are close to a character talking, put the text on the usual dialogue box or a similar window.

I am quoting this because it was the most frustrating part about the cooperative mode for me. I took my first foray into it earlier this evening and my coop partner had to read some of the dialog to me so that I wouldn't miss out on what's happening.
Identical items that don't stack. Fix please! Many items.. difficult to organize... many clicks... Items need to stack if they are the same.. item.

That Trap disarm tool everyone gets at the beginning of the game.. is the devil.
Identical items that don't stack. Fix please! Many items.. difficult to organize... many clicks... Items need to stack if they are the same.. item.

That Trap disarm tool everyone gets at the beginning of the game.. is the devil.

It's not that they don't stack, it's just that it's physically impossible to have more than 2 of them on a single stack (I know, it's a game and so on...)

But if you have certain items that you think must stack, you can always send a mail to supportdos@larian.com, you'll probably get an answer pretty fast smile [please keep the 2 week holiday in mind]
Posted By: oXis Re: Suggestions: Fixes and Features! (join in!) - 18/07/14 08:47 AM
Please, a Ctrl+wheel mouse for switching from different skill bar.
Originally Posted by Singbird

Good suggestion. I also find the constant centering of the camera in combat very annoying.

I don't mind the camera centering on my party member as much as when it centers on an enemy. Often when an enemy uses a ranged attack I have to WASD (SEDF for me) the camera to see who in my party the ranged attack hits.

I wish centering on enemies in combat and centering on party members in combat could be turned off separately.

In a future update, you will be able to turn the dynamic combat camera off in the config. Don't expect it in the following 2 week though, as there is a 2 week holiday at Larian Studios smile
I'd quite like to neuter the active mini map from the top right of the screen. It kind of makes sense to have it, but I dearly want to turn off that if I hover the mouse over one of the dots that it tells me the enemy/character names. There is no way my character should be able to know those having never met the person before. (Honestly I'd rather it didn't show me where monsters/animals/people are)
  • Golgorod mentioned this but instead of just minimized the option should be "mute sound if not in focus" so if the game is not in focus at all, sound would be muted.
  • (Silverglen) if you decline Brandon's quest, should be an option to either take it later or have an alternate way to gain Tenebrium training.
  • Should be a way to mark which player character (in single player) is the 'main', the game seems to flip between them more or less at random.
  • There don't seem to be any Marksman blank skillbooks, assuming this is by design and not a bug I'd like to recommend them to be added.
  • Since ESC doesn't seem to truly pause the game, I'd like to see an option that makes it a true pause. (At least in Single Player).
  • Gold, Tools and other items should be usable even if they are in a container (backpack etc).
  • As has been said, hotkeys to change hotbar pages would be very nice.
  • More versatile camera (zoom farther out, zoom farther in). I also find the 'locked' rotation for the main campaign to be kind of strange and it makes it really difficult to spot wall buttons and objects.
  • Like to see an option that has some kind of confirmation window appear if you click on an 'orange/red' item by mistake. (I've had to hit 'quick load' many times when instead of clicking and talking on someone, they moved and I stole something instead.)
  • There should be some indicator for when weapons/armor are at degrading levels (I know it highlights red if it's close to gone), maybe a light yellow at 75%, orange at 50%...
  • There should also be an indicator (maybe tinting the portraits) if a party member no longer has weapon/armor pieces equipped due to a debuff.
  • I'd like to see a new tab in the Journal where the player can write their own notes.

@OP: It would be a lot of work, but perhaps you could consolidate all of these suggestions into your original post. That would make it a lot easier to see what has been added.

Now my own two cents:

There are SO MANY empty containers, exploring a new area feels like a chore with how long it takes to open them, especially when your character is slowly moving around a large pile of boxes. It would be nice if they could either -
A. Automatically add "empty" to the item caption for all empty containers once a character is within a certain range
B. The first time an empty container is clicked on, rather than opening the container's dialog window, simply add "empty" to that container's item caption.
Originally Posted by Scrapper
The first time an empty container is clicked on, rather than opening the container's dialog window, simply add "empty" to that container's item caption.

This is exactly what happens now :p
Also note that the cursor changes from a golden chest to a silver chest
*Skillbook tooltip should display AP cost
*A general clean up/streamlining of skill and skillbook tooltips would be nice for new players
*Faster combat animation speeds
*Turn off movement animation slow down near selected end point during combat
*Default alignment of inventory window should not cover left side character portraits
*Default alignment of opening containers should be on the right side of the screen
*Tips on loading screens need more time onscreen

Originally Posted by Styno
The first time an empty container is clicked on, rather than opening the container's dialog window, simply add "empty" to that container's item caption.

Not entirely. Empty is added yes, but the chest UI is still shown on the screen. That said, sometimes you actually want that as you want to put something into the chest.
Since this topic might stay afloat for a while, long enough for Larian employees to read it, I'm putting my wall of text in here too. smile

I believe the following items needs work:

- The crafting system is, well, I can't really sugarcoat this... it's a mess.
* Recipes aren't working (water arrows to name one) and certain items do not seem to have a function.
* You make plate armour when using metal scraps and a hammer, but you need an anvil to make a pair of metal boots. Why is the anvil not used to make metal armour? It's just one example. Recipes just don't make sense.
* You end up wasting a lot of time dragging objects over one another in the hope you'll get some result. I doubt many people will find this system to be fun.

The whole crafting system really needs to be straightened out. In my opinion it needs to be rebuild from scratch, make it easier to figure out recipes, have found recipes be added to your journal and have recipe books add recipes to your journal after reading them, not cryptic information.
Give the anvil a nice menu/interface where you can craft all sorts of weapons and armour.

- It'd be nice if similar items were removed. There are two types of sinew, rat tails, chicken feet, tusks etc. There are already so many items in the game, it's driving me nuts. I don't know if some of these have different functions in crafting, but it seems to me that they just make the whole crafting system more complicated than it needs to be.

- Tenebrium weapons can't be upgraded like their normal counterparts. For example: I can't use my bow string on a Tenebrium bow or a sword on a grinding wheel. In my opinion this doesn't make sense and should be made possible.

- Tenebrium weapons should not be their own weapon type. If one is skilled in the use of Tenebrium, he suddenly knows how to use all forms of bows and melee weapons? This doesn't make sense and needs to be changed.
Just have the 1-handed, 2-handed, bow and crossbow types remain the same for tenebrium weapons and change the tenebrium skill to influence the amount of tenebrium damage one does if a weapon is a tenebrium weapon or a regular weapon treated with tenebrium. Just a thought.
It's also a big kick in the nuts for people (like me) who invested 15 points in their weapon type of choice, only to find out late in the game that their 15 points were wasted.
A respec is out of the question, since you'll lose any skills you learned. Skillbooks are expensive and in some cases unique.

- Certain items refuse to stack together. Rubies, pearls, empty potion bottles, arrows of the same type, skulls of the same type, apples and so on. At the end of the game I got double, triple and even quadruple stacks of same items that refused to be stacked.

- Lockpicks should only break when failing a lockpicking attempt. Also, right now they're even used up when the lock I'm trying to pick isn't pickable. Why punish the player for trying?

- Trap disarming tools are worthless, mainly because they are a one-use item. Why bother with keeping a supply of them when you can plug an arrow in/cast a spell on the trap?

- Vendors should rotate their inventory all the time, not just on a level up. I am a bit confused why Larian kept this system they introduced in Divinity 2. (Perhaps Divine Divinity functioned like that as well. Can't remember. Been a while since I played that one.)
Right now there's a potential low chance for people to get their hands on specific high level items, especially with loot drops being so random.
If inventories would constantly refresh, it'd give people the chance to hunt for better items or get their hands on that evasive piece of crafting material.
3 out of my 4 characters were still wearing several junk items near the end of my first game. In Divinity 2 you could avoid wearing junk items by spending tons of money on unique items with a fixed level. I'd really like to see this in D:OS. Specific vendors selling unique items at high levels.

- Speaking of the randomness of all these items: The Divinity games are not Diablo. Enemies run out in Divinity games. You can only reach a certain level. Why are all these random items necessary? It'd be a much better idea to just use non-random items with a unique item here and there, like in Baldur's Gate.
And you find soooo many items. My eyes felt strained from all the identifying and constantly comparing gear to see if it would be an upgrade or not.

- Shops should sell unique items which always have the same level and stats, just like in Divinity 2. This way unlucky people or people who dislike all those random blue and greens have a chance of equipping their characters properly.

- It'd be very nice to be able to level up items to your current level. Perhaps with a recipe or a large cost.
This way people can keep using the items they're attached to or items that have decent stats.
Example: I find a leather armour which gives an armour rating of 10, +2 strength and +2 dexterity, but it's a level 5 armour and my characters are rollin' at level 15. It'd be nice to be able to upgrade this armour to level 15 as well, keeping the bonus strength and dexterity the same, but increasing its armour rating to what a level 15 armour would have.

- It'd be nice to have the secrets log update itself whenever you find one of the secret chests.
Now that I think of it: Buying treasure maps is pointless. They're costly and the random crap loot you find in return isn't worth it. Not to mention that you can still find the treasure chests without buying the maps, as long as your perception is decent.

- Overall treasure just isn't rewarding enough. Take the end of time chest: You can go through all the trouble of finding the four clues, only to find items inside this chest that are useless to your party setup.
Sure, you can save-scum so you get the chance for better results, but I doubt that's the way the game's meant to be played.

- Character portraits. Why are there a limited amount of portraits to choose from while you have so many hair/hair colour/face/skin colour options?
Right now people are forced to choose a portrait they like and then model their character after it.
If you're keeping this system, at least make sure there's a portrait available for every hair style/colour/skin colour combination.
I think it'd be much nicer to have something like Dragon Age:Origins has. You create a character and a 'photo' will be made to act like your character's portrait.

- Those little buttons placed throughout the game. Eye strain. Make characters make a remark every time they're near one or something. Have them emit a glow if your perception is high enough. Anything to make them at least a little bit less hard to spot.

- Zandalor's hat! Where is it?!? You can't have a Divinity game without Zandalor... and without his hat!
Okay, I am nitpicking here... but I did miss that hat. ;_;

Bugs:

- Although most dialogue was fine, there were instances where dialogue was missing or contained spelling errors. There's not a screenshot key in the game (or not that I know of) or I'd have made screenshots of these instances.
I hope these will be fixed later on.
The most annoying ones were instances where I just saw "You", with the rest of the text missing.

- Source temple: Door to 'locked air door' looked open but was still locked according to the mouse cursor. I couldn't pass through the door, even though it appeared open.
Seems that people can do some sequence wrong/different in this maze, which might cause this.

- Some quests didn't disappear from my questbook/were unsolvable:

War of the Stones:
I checked the whole town, every basement and attic, Zandalor's house and the road to the dungeon where those giant statues reside, and as far as I know I killed every last one of them. The quest should be made to disappear.
In my second playthrough I talked to a mountain man after the orcs were killed, and the quest was properly completed. Still, if the player makes a choice to kill both the orcs and mountain men (or however they're called), the quest should complete after the last one's done for.

Goblin Trouble:
I let Lawrence be killed by the angry mob (serves him right), so I couldn't talk to Lawrence about this quest anymore. Please have the game remove quests when the quest giver is dead.

The Captives in the Crystals:
- I freed Arroka.
- I freed Haizea, although he was killed during the fight.
- I freed Antzigar.
- I got my hands on the Winter Ring.
Quest didn't finish.
It finished in my second playthrough, where I managed to keep every prisoner alive. Still, this one needs fixing.

- The jailers in Sacred Stone damage your reputation when you attack them.
Since these guys need to be killed in order to free the prisoners and since they're bloody evil, they shouldn't give you a -1 reputation.

Immersion breakers:

Random quotes tree - I know, I know, there's crazy humour in this game, just like in previous Divinity games. I've grown to love it and don't consider any of that stuff immersion breaking.
The sudden popup of random quotes was a different matter though. It felt improper and unneeded to me.
It would have been a better idea to turn this into an easter egg, as in: hidden from sight.
Originally Posted by Gotcha!
Immersion breakers:

Random quotes tree - I know, I know, there's crazy humour in this game, just like in previous Divinity games. I've grown to love it and don't consider any of that stuff immersion breaking.
The sudden popup of random quotes was a different matter though. It felt improper and unneeded to me.
It would have been a better idea to turn this into an easter egg, as in: hidden from sight.

If you're referring to what I think you are, that's Zandalor's Trunks. If you don't want to hear them, take the trunks off.
Originally Posted by tarasis
Originally Posted by Styno

Not entirely. Empty is added yes, but the chest UI is still shown on the screen. That said, sometimes you actually want that as you want to put something into the chest.

True, which is why it would only do this on the FIRST click of an empty chest. If you clicked on an empty chest that you already explored, it would open it for you. The point of this change would be to reduce the screen clutter and time spent when exploring.
Originally Posted by Jito463
Originally Posted by Gotcha!
Immersion breakers:

If you're referring to what I think you are, that's Zandalor's Trunks. If you don't want to hear them, take the trunks off.

Nope, that's not what I meant. You'll know what I mean when you see it. smile
© Larian Studios forums