Larian Studios
Posted By: McLovin' Save/Load abuse, permadeath option - 16/07/14 01:45 PM
I once broke Skyrim Elder Scrolls, or at least my enjoyment of it, after abusing the save/load function before stealing/after getting caught. I got bored of the game quickly enough, as it was an easy button to owning anything that wasn't nailed down.

I've heard of players "cheesing" their way through fights and even just to get best gear from the lootgen chest.

Of course I'm aware if how frustrating it is to have spent an hour or whatever exploring and crafting only to lose it all after being outmatched or from exploding from a trap.

Concerned that this is a game-breaking feature for those lacking self-restraint, at the expense of stable blood pressure, could a permadeath (no saves) and limited saves option be added please?
Posted By: Jacob Marner Re: Save/Load abuse, permadeath option - 16/07/14 02:35 PM
lol. Now I see where you are coming from in your reply to the balancing thread I started. smile
Posted By: tarasis Re: Save/Load abuse, permadeath option - 16/07/14 02:39 PM
That could be a cool Hard+ mode. It would certainly give people, myself included, more pause before doing certain things like tackling higher level monsters / trying to pick peoples pockets.
Posted By: Ailurophile Re: Save/Load abuse, permadeath option - 16/07/14 02:44 PM
My question to you is, why do you need to be restricted from reloading? If you don't want to cheese chests and fights, just don't and live with your consequences.
Posted By: Jacob Marner Re: Save/Load abuse, permadeath option - 16/07/14 02:47 PM
The keyword here is

" those lacking self-restraint, "
Posted By: BlackMarch Re: Save/Load abuse, permadeath option - 16/07/14 02:48 PM
Actually though I really like this suggestion, but people would just end up copying savegame folder to cheese it.

So adding it wouldn't be any different, at all, from what you have right now.
Posted By: Styno Re: Save/Load abuse, permadeath option - 16/07/14 03:12 PM
how on earth can you "abuse" a saving mechanic? it is a single player (or local multiplayer) game so you are only cheating yourself and ruining your own experience.

Every player a game of DnD where you told the dungeon master to roll the D20 again because you didn't like the loot?

If you don't want it, just don't do it smile

Besides, the game has no way or continuing a game after death as it has no checkpoint. If you are dead, you remain dead.

Loading a savegame is going back to a older state of the game, and not to be confused with a checkpoint system that just revives your party at a certain point.
Posted By: Weston Re: Save/Load abuse, permadeath option - 16/07/14 04:38 PM
People just cheat the perma-death anyway, so what's the point?

As long as it's possible to backup the saved game folder to restore it in a perma-death game, people are going to do it that lack self restraint. Would be better to learn more self restraint than ask the developers to spend money/man hours to build in what people will just end up bypassing anyway and self restraint may just help those people that lack it in real life anyway.
Posted By: Songbird Re: Save/Load abuse, permadeath option - 16/07/14 04:40 PM
Wow, you have issues with self-restraint so it's the devs' job to fix it...

It looks like you are gaining some weight too, would it help if I start jogging?
Posted By: McLovin' Re: Save/Load abuse, permadeath option - 16/07/14 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Songbird

It looks like you are gaining some weight too, would it help if I start jogging?

Yes, please, kind sir. Then I play DOS more often and spend a gym subscription on beer.

My 'peak' gaming experiences include being in a permadeath guild in DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online) and from playing EVE (mistakes are punished without mercy). It can get the adrenalin pumped hard in proportion to the stakes (i.e. time invested). I predict that DOS, with an optional removable safety-button (F5), will get those emotions charged just the same.

Slightly off topic, this could be used to add a competitive element to the game (league table for highest level gained with certain character combinations), though with risk of ramping up dev resources on more need for rebalancing.
Posted By: blinkicide Re: Save/Load abuse, permadeath option - 16/07/14 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Songbird

umm yes. I acknowledge my character flaws. In fact I pay to have them indulged. I admit me and McLovin over there are flawed individuals, but we represent many other such individuals. Without people like us, hardcore mode, ironman, impossible modes just wouldn't exist...
Posted By: Zozma Re: Save/Load abuse, permadeath option - 16/07/14 06:26 PM
I really don't see anything wrong with McLovin's request. Most people on forums with this approach take a "people are having fun in ways I don't like, so I want mandatory permadeath/no save scumming/ no difficulty changes," but this is clearly just an option he wants for himself and people with a similar mentality. It may not get implemented, but where's the harm in the asking?
Posted By: Halcyon Re: Save/Load abuse, permadeath option - 16/07/14 06:58 PM
If they added a no-cheese-possible option for play, then certainly those inclined to use it could do so. No skin off my back, even though I wouldn't use it myself, because I cheesed the hell out of the game trying to make witchcraft scrolls smile
Posted By: Hassat Hunter Re: Save/Load abuse, permadeath option - 16/07/14 10:39 PM
Here we go again... atleast this OP has the decency of asking for an option instead of wanting to force it upon all players though, so hats off to you for that.

I still think it's a waste of developers time though...
© Larian Studios forums