Larian Studios
Posted By: Mr. C Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 18/07/14 08:53 PM
Right now people are using the backpack as a makeshift version of this... but it could be done so much better.

Here, I'll design the entire system for you...

Pressing f9 opens up your groups "Palette".

palīŊˇette
noun
a thin board or slab on which an artist lays and mixes colors.

Contained within the palette is all the various ingredients and things that could be used as ingredients. Consider this a sort of "group inventory" as far as that goes.

At the top of the palette is various slots for you to put the things you use as tools. A hammer, a mortal and pestle, and so forth. You would place them in the slot and there they would stay until you moved them. They never swap out *into* the ingredient inventory.

To the right of the palette is a 4x4 box where you can mix and mingle things.

Here's a drawing in case I'm not being clear enough...
[Linked Image]

This would make life SO much easier for everyone involved. Hell make it an item you have to find, I don't care. MAKE IT DLC and sell it for a buck.

Just make this happen. Crafting is one of the most awesome aspects of this game and right now it's kind of a pain in the ass to manage. This would solve that problem in a flash.
Posted By: Fellgnome Re: Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 18/07/14 09:17 PM
Sadly I think we're unlikely to see any major improvements to the UI past this point.
Posted By: Mr. C Re: Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 18/07/14 10:55 PM
Well that's a pretty glum assessment of things...
Nope this would never work. Thanks for the laugh though with your "sell it for a buck" comment, that was funny.
Posted By: Mr. C Re: Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 19/07/14 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by Diabolus_Musica
Nope this would never work. Thanks for the laugh though with your "sell it for a buck" comment, that was funny.


And why would it "never work"? What about it is especially complex?
Originally Posted by Mr. C
Originally Posted by Diabolus_Musica
Nope this would never work. Thanks for the laugh though with your "sell it for a buck" comment, that was funny.


And why would it "never work"? What about it is especially complex?

Where do I say the complexity of this idea will cause it to not work? How do you infer that from my post? The complexity or lack of has nothing to do with whether or not this idea will work.
Posted By: Stargazer Re: Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 19/07/14 03:54 PM
Crafting could be made more convenient and there's nothing stopping Larian from adding a separate "crafting workshop" functioning as above - aside from the thousand-and-one other improvements and suggestions that is. wink

Adding a known recipe list to that UI would seem like a useful addition though.
Posted By: Mr. C Re: Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 19/07/14 03:56 PM
Well, you still haven't actually said anything at all. You've told us all an idea won't work and you've provided zero justification for your argument. Mostly you're just coming across as a negative asshole.

I tend to keep an open mind about such possibilities... but perhaps that's blinded me to something you're aware of that I'm not.

So, if you've got a rationale for why the above is an improper or poor system you're more than welcome to explain why.
Originally Posted by Mr. C
Well, you still haven't actually said anything at all. You've told us all an idea won't work and you've provided zero justification for your argument. Mostly you're just coming across as a negative asshole.


I commented that this idea would never work yet somehow that's "saying nothing" according to you. Oh and namecalling? Haha really?
Posted By: thetang22 Re: Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 19/07/14 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Diabolus_Musica
Originally Posted by Mr. C
Well, you still haven't actually said anything at all. You've told us all an idea won't work and you've provided zero justification for your argument. Mostly you're just coming across as a negative asshole.


I commented that this idea would never work yet somehow that's "saying nothing" according to you. Oh and namecalling? Haha really?


You still haven't given your reason for why you claim this idea wouldn't work.

Mr. C: <shares idea>
Diabolus: Your idea wouldn't work
Mr. C: Would you explain why you claim it wouldn't work?
Diabolus: I said it wouldn't work.
Mr. C: Ok...but why wouldn't it work???
Diabolus: Did you not catch the part where I said it wouldn't work???

The above is an exaggeration of the conversation...but the point is the same. Mr. C has asked you to clarify WHY you think the idea wouldn't work...but in the 3 posts you've given, you have yet to do so. All you are doing is re-asserting your claim that it won't work without explaining why.
Originally Posted by thetang22
Originally Posted by Diabolus_Musica
Originally Posted by Mr. C
Well, you still haven't actually said anything at all. You've told us all an idea won't work and you've provided zero justification for your argument. Mostly you're just coming across as a negative asshole.


I commented that this idea would never work yet somehow that's "saying nothing" according to you. Oh and namecalling? Haha really?


You still haven't given your reason for why you claim this idea wouldn't work.

Mr. C: <shares idea>
Diabolus: Your idea wouldn't work
Mr. C: Would you explain why you claim it wouldn't work?
Diabolus: I said it wouldn't work.
Mr. C: Ok...but why wouldn't it work???
Diabolus: Did you not catch the part where I said it wouldn't work???

The above is an exaggeration of the conversation...but the point is the same. Mr. C has asked you to clarify WHY you think the idea wouldn't work...but in the 3 posts you've given, you have yet to do so. All you are doing is re-asserting your claim that it won't work without explaining why.


Are you going to tell me something I don't already know? In any case, thanks for the recap. I've been here the whole time too btw. You forgot the part about where he (incorrectly) thinks my comments are based on the complexity of his suggestion. Oh and let me add that his idea would never work.
Posted By: thetang22 Re: Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 19/07/14 05:51 PM
Are you going to keep dancing around the issue, rather than answering the question? Sure, he assumed your rationale had to do with it being too complex...but you could have easily remedied that incorrect assumption by explaining your rationale...which you have yet to do.

What is your REASON for saying the idea won't work?
Originally Posted by thetang22
Are you going to keep dancing around the issue, rather than answering the question? Sure, he assumed your rationale had to do with it being too complex...but you could have easily remedied that incorrect assumption by explaining your rationale...which you have yet to do.

What is your REASON for saying the idea won't work?

How am I "dancing around" the issue? He posted his idea, I commented on it.
Posted By: thetang22 Re: Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 19/07/14 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Diabolus_Musica
How am I "dancing around" the issue? He posted his idea, I commented on it.


Because the "issue" is you answering the question: "WHY won't his idea work?"...which you are intentionally not answering.
Originally Posted by thetang22
Originally Posted by Diabolus_Musica
How am I "dancing around" the issue? He posted his idea, I commented on it.


Because the "issue" is you answering the question: "WHY won't his idea work?"...which you are intentionally not answering.

As I've already said, his idea would never work. I don't know how I can be more clear than that.

BTW do you ever plan on actually commenting on his idea or did you just come in here to critique my posts? I find it ironic that you repeatedly complain about my posts, all the while saying NOTHING relevant to this thread.
Posted By: Mr. C Re: Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 19/07/14 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Diabolus_Musica
Originally Posted by thetang22
Originally Posted by Diabolus_Musica
How am I "dancing around" the issue? He posted his idea, I commented on it.


Because the "issue" is you answering the question: "WHY won't his idea work?"...which you are intentionally not answering.

As I've already said, his idea would never work. I don't know how I can be more clear than that.

BTW do you ever plan on actually commenting on his idea or did you just come in here to critique my posts? I find it ironic that you repeatedly complain about my posts, all the while saying NOTHING relevant to this thread.


[Linked Image]

And moving along. My idea is really quite awesome and the developers should adopt it. It would make crafting much more streamlined and *MUCH* more enjoyable.
Lol, you've got issues buddy. So you're moving along? On to the next thread where you post more ideas that would never work?
Posted By: thetang22 Re: Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 19/07/14 10:35 PM
Diabolus - You could have just answered the simple question. You've gone out of your way NOT to answer it with a rationale response, and have instead provided trolling responses. As a result, I've reported you to the moderators for trolling.

Have a good day.
Originally Posted by thetang22
Diabolus - You could have just answered the simple question. You've gone out of your way NOT to answer it with a rationale response, and have instead provided trolling responses. As a result, I've reported you to the moderators for trolling.

Have a good day.

And what's your contribution to this thread? Other than harassing me I mean. Six posts in and you still haven't posted a single thing relevant to the thread topic. And Mr.C? I disagree with his idea and right away I'm a "negative a-hole". LOL. Don't ask for people's opinions if you don't want them, Mr.C.

Mr. C calls me an a-hole and posts silly pictures, you create a forum account just to come into the thread, ignore the topic and continually harass me, and YOU'RE reporting ME?! LOL that's a good one. Good luck with that.
Posted By: FelixDK Re: Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 19/07/14 11:02 PM
Personally: I think Bob Marleys album Kaya is the best album ever written. And Becks album Sea Changes is worth applause too.
Posted By: thetang22 Re: Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 19/07/14 11:20 PM
Diabolus - My contribution to this thread was helping weed out a troll.

Your contribution was offering an intentionally vague and provoking comment right out of the gate, and then failing to elaborate on it when asked over and over and over. Instead you decided to repeat the original comment...as though it was profound enough to speak for itself without needing further clarification (which it failed in that respect, in case you didn't notice).

About the original idea? Sure...why not. The system for crafting currently in the game feels very half-baked. Mr. C's idea (along with probably 100 others) would be better than what's currently in the game.

At the end of the day, the main point is this: You've had so many chances to do the decent thing, and simply answer an easy question...but you instead wanted to instigate even more (as a troll would do) by purposefully not answering it with your responses.

When you tell somebody their idea won't work, and then they ask you why it won't work...a valid response is not "because it won't work"...Yet that's the only answer you've given multiple times. That's why you were reported for trolling.

Originally Posted by thetang22
Diabolus - My contribution to this thread was helping weed out a troll.

Your contribution was offering an intentionally vague and provoking comment right out of the gate, and then failing to elaborate on it when asked over and over and over. Instead you decided to repeat the original comment...as though it was profound enough to speak for itself without needing further clarification (which it failed in that respect, in case you didn't notice).

About the original idea? Sure...why not. The system for crafting currently in the game feels very half-baked. Mr. C's idea (along with probably 100 others) would be better than what's currently in the game.

At the end of the day, the main point is this: You've had so many chances to do the decent thing, and simply answer an easy question...but you instead wanted to instigate even more (as a troll would do) by purposefully not answering it with your responses.

When you tell somebody their idea won't work, and then they ask you why it won't work...a valid response is not "because it won't work"...Yet that's the only answer you've given multiple times. That's why you were reported for trolling.

I don't know how many different ways I can say "this idea would never work". What don't you understand?
Posted By: LordCrash Re: Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 20/07/14 01:32 AM
Won't work because of co-op. If D:OS was a SP-only game a group inventory would be a an issue after all...
Posted By: Mr. C Re: Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 20/07/14 02:27 AM
Originally Posted by LordCrash
Won't work because of co-op. If D:OS was a SP-only game a group inventory would be a an issue after all...


It would only have to be for the characters you run.

Or... only the group leader can make use of it.. or the group leader could designate which has it at any given time.

"Group Ingredients" isn't even a must have. Just a tool to better organize our crafting.
One way or the other the whole inventory UI could use some improvement.

And I didn't know that the concept of WHY was such a hard thing to understand.
Originally Posted by Sinthesizer
One way or the other the whole inventory UI could use some improvement.

And I didn't know that the concept of WHY was such a hard thing to understand.

Well that was my point exactly. His idea would never work. *Why* it would never work should be obvious.
Posted By: Mr. C Re: Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 20/07/14 04:23 AM
Originally Posted by Diabolus_Musica
Originally Posted by Sinthesizer
One way or the other the whole inventory UI could use some improvement.

And I didn't know that the concept of WHY was such a hard thing to understand.

Well that was my point exactly. His idea would never work. *Why* it would never work should be obvious.


I wonder how long the devs are going to let this guy do this sort of thing.
Originally Posted by Mr. C
Originally Posted by Diabolus_Musica
Originally Posted by Sinthesizer
One way or the other the whole inventory UI could use some improvement.

And I didn't know that the concept of WHY was such a hard thing to understand.

Well that was my point exactly. His idea would never work. *Why* it would never work should be obvious.


I wonder how long the devs are going to let this guy do this sort of thing.

Yes I agree, the devs should immediately put a stop to anyone in this forum that disagrees with Mr. C! This is an outrage!
Posted By: Gyson Re: Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 20/07/14 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Diabolus_Musica
I don't know how many different ways I can say "this idea would never work".

Well, trying something incredibly simple to understand, you could always say "this idea would never work, and the reason for that is.. <and insert your explanation of why it would fail to work here>".

Otherwise, it's looking like you don't actually know why it wouldn't work, and are instead just stalling in the hopes that someone else will come along and pull you out of that pit you've dug yourself into.

But, that's just my casual observer opinion.

Originally Posted by Gyson
Originally Posted by Diabolus_Musica
I don't know how many different ways I can say "this idea would never work".

Well, trying something incredibly simple to understand, you could always say "this idea would never work, and the reason for that is.. <and insert your explanation of why it would fail to work here>".

Otherwise, it's looking like you don't actually know why it wouldn't work, and are instead just stalling in the hopes that someone else will come along and pull you out of that pit you've dug yourself into.

But, that's just my casual observer opinion.


What?
Posted By: Jito463 Re: Suggestion: I WANT A FLIPPING PALETTE. - 20/07/14 09:42 PM
Don't feed the rpg003 rpg008
TROLL TOLL!
© Larian Studios forums