Larian Studios
Posted By: vehementi Misc things currently annoying me - 30/07/14 06:34 AM
On my 2nd playthrough now so ~90 hours in the game. Many of these have probably been logged as bugs already but...

Bugs:

- inventory window doesn't save its position and resets to left side of the screen covering up portraits

- when my guy is picking up an item (especially with telekinesis) or placing it, clicking on the inventory enters a movement order instead of the inventory action. So let's say I throw my teleporter pyramid across a lava room or trap or something. While it's in the air I double click the other pyramid in my inventory. Instead of attempting to activate the pyramid in my inventory (maybe giving an error, or queueing the action), it just clicks through my inventory window and immediately runs my party in the fire.

- if you enter an item pick up command while knocked down (slipped on ice), then the character is stuck upon standing up - can't give new orders, pick up the item, etc. until I open the inventory window. Then it gets unstuck and he picks up the item.

- somehow, my combat log keeps getting scrolled up, and I have to scroll down to the bottom to get it stuck again. I am definitely not scrolling up and forgetting or anything like that.

- phoenix dive sets me on fire before I jump, probably shouldn't, that's silly

- king boreas's death animation plays every time I re enter the area (or is it the ice elemental he summoned?)

- a lot of super low level loot in the winter area

Bad gameplay/UX:

- slipping on ice when out of combat is pure user punishment and should be removed. My dudes automatically path around fire etc., and should either "walk carefully" on ice, or path around it, not slip multiple times. (I don't want to hear anything about 'equip the snow boots' - I didn't have them yet and this out of combat mechanic is just poor).

- if I queue up 4 attack commands on a mob and then it dies after the 2nd attack, I'll swing at air 2 more times. Those attacks should be cancelled so I can do something different.

- oh my god the moving enemy hitboxes while I'm trying to click on it to attack. If this isn't fixed, we at least need an undo option for when my guy decides to run circles around the enemy

- hitting F1-F4 while in inventory screen should select that character's inventory, not just change selection of the character I'm controlling

- if I have a 20% chance to apply burning with a weapon, it shouldn't say "burning failed" every time it merely doesn't proc. There should be no message normally, and then "burning failed" or "burning resisted" if it tried to proc and didn't work.

- mouse over a ring should compare both equipped rings

- need to be able to click the next spell's icon and prepare to cast it, while the current spell is still animating. Currently I am locked into a spell casting cursor for the duration and can't issue move orders on other characters in the mean time (though strangely I can switch to another character and cast another spell)

- similarly, need to be able to click a second time on a guy during the attack animation to attack him again.

- I'm playing a "no magic" playthrough (no magic schools/witchcraft/scrolls) and clearing fields after battle is really annoying. Can fire fields dissipate quicker? It seems to take entire minutes where I just have sit and wait, or throw my teleporter prism across (which sometimes makes my guy run into the fire to get in minimum range)

- do the fields in Boreas's throne room ever clear? This is kind of obnoxious after the fight...

Requests:

- let me ID items while in the vendor menu using my own ID skill rather than paying (in case I missed an un-id'd item)

- let me move all things from a filtered view (i.e. all ingredients) to another character. My guy who picks everything up is not my crafter, leading to a life of living hell

- need some kind of crafting mode that shows all items that can be used for crafting or crafted on. If I want to drag a moonstone onto my sword, I have to either equip the sword, or filter for All Items and then do a horrible drag. Maybe it's possible to put the sword on the ground first but that sucks.

- in the vendor window, the compare function should compare with the equipped item of the currently selected character, not the character that engaged in dialog

- let me see the effects on AP that adding a point to speed or perception does. It only increases the number on the character sheet if it increases my AP per round, and the mouse over reflects old values (bug)

- let me see the stats on a to-be-crafted item so I don't have to save/reload to check

- need a way to delay my turn by 1 slot permanently for the fight. If I have initiative, I can choose to act right after my buddy. Don't make me micromanage initiative items to control the order of my party. Having initiative means you can do what you want: you should always strive for high initiative, not feel the need to try to game it to get your party order.

- let me chop wood with a 2h axe

- need to be able to filter the fast travel list by region, or collapse regions or something. By the end of the game I'm constantly scrolling down it.

- filter by unidentified

- auto use highest barter guy to barter

- auto use highest Lucky guy to open boxes

- would really love to turn off ambient voices (NPCs chatting in the background about fish and stuff, annoying after a hearing it a thousand times since they loop... )
yeah hope they fix some of those
Posted By: Snaphane Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 30/07/14 08:41 AM
yeah, many of these are not "features" but rather just clunky UI which makes it harder to have fun just "playing the game". For the ones which ARE features such as whether to autouse highest barter skill or not, well include is a tickbox in game options, so as not to annoy those who just happen to dislike that particular feature.
Posted By: zorp Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 30/07/14 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by vehementi

- slipping on ice when out of combat is pure user punishment and should be removed. My dudes automatically path around fire etc., and should either "walk carefully" on ice, or path around it, not slip multiple times. (I don't want to hear anything about 'equip the snow boots' - I didn't have them yet and this out of combat mechanic is just poor).

Add 9 inch nails to any shoes to get immunity to slipping. Just a tip.

Posted By: ScrotieMcB Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 30/07/14 09:25 AM
I actually like this and believe it should stay in the game.

HOWEVER, I would like to see the Knockdown from this reduced from 2 turns to 1.
- need a way to delay my turn by 1 slot permanently for the fight. If I have initiative, I can choose to act right after my buddy. Don't make me micromanage initiative items to control the order of my party. Having initiative means you can do what you want: you should always strive for high initiative, not feel the need to try to game it to get your party order.
Already exists, there's an obscure button over on the right side of the screen labeled "delay turn."
- would really love to turn off ambient voices (NPCs chatting in the background about fish and stuff, annoying after a hearing it a thousand times since they loop... )
Already exists. Sound options.

Other than that, a lot of these are commonsense, good suggestions, but somewhat low priority. Still, a lot of them are rather easy fixes, so why not fix them?
Posted By: Wes Knight Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 30/07/14 11:29 AM
Agree with all of the above. One more thing to add to the list:

- There is no sound when mining ore.
Posted By: Tsort Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 30/07/14 01:13 PM
About Delaying
Already exists, there's an obscure button over on the right side of the screen labeled "delay turn."

No, what he meant was delaying so you move only one slot in the initiative order.
For example, if you're A, the order comes up as *A*BCD, the delay button would make it BCD*A*, what we need is an option to allow B*A*CD or BC*A*D. I support this idea.

Maybe if we could simply drag and drop the characters portraits (only to the right) when it's their turn, it'd be an elegant way to solve it.

I'd add this about crafting issues: there are cases you can't really preview the outcome.
- when you craft branches+wood chips you only see chips as the previewed outcome.
- when you craft x+y potion and get empty flasks, there are no previews.
- there are probably more cases like that.
Posted By: vehementi Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 30/07/14 03:54 PM
Thanks for the NiN tip. My crafting is a bit hamstrung because I am trying to avoid using wiki summaries etc.

Originally Posted by ScrotieMcB
I actually like this and believe it should stay in the game.

I mean this isn't a preference thing, it's poor design. You can like the poor design, get used to bad UX, etc. but that doesn't change anything.

Already exists. Sound options.

Nope, that's all voices, or background noises like birds and stuff: not background auto-talk NPC voices. Do your homework! :P
Posted By: RtM Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 30/07/14 04:08 PM
Id like to add one.

- When in combat and enemy is in a particular area, say behind a wall and you have to adjust the camera position in both angle and position on map so you can see him/her/it, the camera seems to jump when you attack. Forcing you to get back to the position you need in order to see the enemy and to be able to attack them. Its truly annoying. This seems to happen quite often when attack from range ie. bow.
Posted By: Wes Knight Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 30/07/14 04:10 PM
By the way if you disable everything in audio options you can still hear npc's background chatter in a slightly muffled manner (buy fresh Cheese), even thou you can't hear anything else. Looks as if this looping chatter was made on purpose, to drive people mad. wink
Posted By: Jito463 Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 30/07/14 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Wes Knight
Looks as if this looping chatter was made on purpose, to drive people mad. wink

I don't *twitch* know what you're *twitch*twitch* talking about.

*twitch*

Sanity is for the weak. *twitch*
Posted By: Tsort Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 30/07/14 07:31 PM

On purpose you say? That excuse has as many holes as this fine slice of g.... no wait !
Posted By: Mirza Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 30/07/14 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Tsort

On purpose you say? That excuse has as many holes as this fine slice of g.... no wait !

Hahahaha! You win the thread!

But yeah, all of these issues have been irritating me quite a bit. Also, there are some sections where a fight becomes infuriating because no matter how you orient the camera there is always a tree's branch blocking the view. Specifically north of Cyseal with the westernmost group of burning legionnaires. And pressing b to change to a top-down view seems to exaggerate the moving hitbox problem, so it isn't much of a solution in those instances.
Posted By: Dragon Wizard Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 31/07/14 12:59 AM

Bad gameplay/UX:

I'm sorry what? this is like saying if we are walking on fire outside of combat then we shouldn't get burned, if it rains outside of combat then we shouldn't get wet... etc. I don't care how careful you are, if you are walking on a body of ice without the proper equipment then you are highly likely going to fall. Not everytime, and what makes combat less special then outside of combat? During combat you'd be even more cautious on how you move on ice then outside of it. During combat, you'll be doing all in your power to not even end up on ice to begin with.
Posted By: dirigible Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 31/07/14 02:11 AM
The problem is more that
1) ice is harder to spot than fire
2) characters won't always path around ice, they WILL always path around fire
3) the only punishment is that it wastes your time. I'm okay with taking damage, I'm not okay with my time being wasted.
Posted By: Mirza Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 31/07/14 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by dirigible
The problem is more that
1) ice is harder to spot than fire
2) characters won't always path around ice, they WILL always path around fire
3) the only punishment is that it wastes your time. I'm okay with taking damage, I'm not okay with my time being wasted.

Yeah the pathing around fire rather than ice is a bit irritating. On the other hand, I had no idea one could slip on the ice until having done it after a battle.
WRT ice fields: if you move the character at a walking speed rather than a running speed, they won't slip on it. Manual steering usually works best for this.
Posted By: vehementi Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 01/08/14 05:58 PM
Yes the key thing is that it just wastes your time. The fact that it's inconsistent with other fields makes it even worse. If I slip on ice, I alt tab out of the game in frustration and check reddit and hopefully remember at some point that I'm still playing DOS.

So no, it's not like saying fire shouldn't burn you outside of combat. It is worrisome you were even able to come up with that false equivalence.

And yes, I have walked on a body of ice (frozen lakes, ice rinks, etc.). It is very easy to walk carefully on ice and not fall, with non specialized shoes. Not sure where you're getting your info, LOL.

Posted By: Jito463 Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 01/08/14 07:09 PM
It is very easy to walk carefully on ice and not fall, with non specialized shoes. Not sure where you're getting your info, LOL.

That's the key thing, though. If you *walk* across the ice, you won't slip and fall. If you click far enough out that you *run* across the ice, you will fall. See?
Posted By: Damar Stiehl Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 01/08/14 09:27 PM
I'd be happy if they reduced the frequency of NPC barks and randomized them a bit... I avoid the market like the plague...

The interface is just bad. Some stuff should have been avoided if the designers took Interface Design 101.
Posted By: Hassat Hunter Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 02/08/14 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by Damar Stiehl
The interface is just bad. Some stuff should have been avoided if the designers took Interface Design 101.

Such as?

Actual details are always more useful than vague generics... that wont help anyone...
Posted By: dirigible Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 02/08/14 04:12 AM
The fact that opening up a backpack opens it OVER YOUR INVENTORY instead of to one side or the other.
The fact that there's no delay on popup text, meaning that while browsing your inventory, you have 2-3 items blocked by a popup text box at all times.
Posted By: vehementi Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 02/08/14 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by Jito463
It is very easy to walk carefully on ice and not fall, with non specialized shoes. Not sure where you're getting your info, LOL.

That's the key thing, though. If you *walk* across the ice, you won't slip and fall. If you click far enough out that you *run* across the ice, you will fall. See?

No, *you* see it now that it was pointed out to you above, but no, it still doesn't make sense, because the gold standard in this game is "characters path around obstacles" i.e. act safely, and in this situation they run across. And you don't have a way to enter walk mode aside from clicking a few feet in front of you. That is a failure of interface, not "aha you carelessly ran across ice". You're grasping at straws and it really shows. But hey, why bother responding to internet comments.
Posted By: Zorgi Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 02/08/14 06:31 AM

I agree. By the way, you can do something very simple to permanently immunize you from that. I was very happy when I discovered it.
Any boots can be upgraded to snow boots using a simple craft.No need to be in a forge for that but maybe a small craft level. Simply put nails on
Posted By: Jito463 Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 02/08/14 03:39 PM
No, *you* see it now that it was pointed out to you above, but no, it still doesn't make sense, because the gold standard in this game is "characters path around obstacles" i.e. act safely, and in this situation they run across. And you don't have a way to enter walk mode aside from clicking a few feet in front of you. That is a failure of interface, not "aha you carelessly ran across ice". You're grasping at straws and it really shows. But hey, why bother responding to internet comments.

I just re-read your post, and I obviously misinterpreted it the first time. I was tired and thought you were saying something different. My bad.
Posted By: Hassat Hunter Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 02/08/14 09:06 PM
The fact that opening up a backpack opens it OVER YOUR INVENTORY instead of to one side or the other.
The fact that there's no delay on popup text, meaning that while browsing your inventory, you have 2-3 items blocked by a popup text box at all times.

I give you the backpack.

The popup however... no. I don't want to wait 2 seconds or something for every item popup to appear to see what's better than what or what has what status effects. That's far more annoying that the current system, believe me...
Posted By: Jito463 Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 02/08/14 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter

I give you the backpack.

The popup however... no. I don't want to wait 2 seconds or something for every item popup to appear to see what's better than what or what has what status effects. That's far more annoying that the current system, believe me...

Personally, I'd like the info box popup to be adjustable, but even a 1 second delay would be beneficial while scrolling through the inventory.
Posted By: vehementi Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 03/08/14 05:38 AM
When I open a book, hitting ESC should close that book. In fact, hitting ESC closes my inventory, and hitting ESC a second time closes the book. That should be reversed.
Posted By: dirigible Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 03/08/14 05:50 AM
^
Posted By: vehementi Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 03/08/14 05:59 AM
Can't seem to whetstone boost my Superior 2h Axe (it seems to work but the damage is the same).

(The whetstone in Luculla is annoyingly far away from the smelter!)
Posted By: dirigible Re: Misc things currently annoying me - 03/08/14 06:05 AM
Crafted items come already whetstoned, if I recall.
© Larian Studios forums