Larian Studios
Posted By: Thorsten Character walking over Lava and healing? - 14/08/14 07:02 PM
I have a character with fire resistance of 130. Out of curiosity I tested something in the lava area of Lukulla forest. The character walked over lava and was constantly healed. Is that an effect of resistances greater 100? Or simply a bug? Or restricted to the area mentioned?

Regards,
Thorsten
Posted By: LeBurns Re: Character walking over Lava and healing? - 14/08/14 07:05 PM
So he was damaged and healed up when he walked on the lava, or just the healing animation is being used when he's walking on it?
Posted By: Zerkain Re: Character walking over Lava and healing? - 14/08/14 07:14 PM
When you are over 100 resistance, you are healed instead of taking damage.
Posted By: LeBurns Re: Character walking over Lava and healing? - 14/08/14 07:24 PM
Is that a bug? I can understand not taking damage, but healing (which is a completely different type of magic) doesn't make any sense at all.
Posted By: Imarion Re: Character walking over Lava and healing? - 14/08/14 07:27 PM
No it is fine.
Same as elemental.
If you hit a fire elemental with fire damage he is healed (same for all elementals or any other ennemies).

Imarion
Posted By: Ezmeth Re: Character walking over Lava and healing? - 14/08/14 07:28 PM
I have to agree (LeBurns), it makes combat too easy after you've collected enough crafting / essences / and a bag full of alternative gear.
Originally Posted by Zerkain
When you are over 100 resistance, you are healed instead of taking damage.

Thanks for the information. And lava resistant at the same time. Should have known earlier - would have made some fights a bit easier and would have solved some access prblems the easy way.

Regards,
Thorsten
Posted By: Keizai Re: Character walking over Lava and healing? - 15/08/14 01:00 AM
I think this is perfectly fine, though. Once you know the system you game it to gain an advantage. If you feel it makes the game too easy for you, you don't have to exploit its weakness. There's nothing wrong with being overpowered with knowledge. You don't start with knowledge.

If you find the game too easy with your resists, you could set down rules for yourself. For example no resists. Or no mgaic/rare/legendary gear, only allow yourself crafted gear. Or no bartering etc.

Finding these "weaknesses" in a system and taking advantage of it, is exactly the same thing as, for instance, finding the most efficient way to level, or finding the most complementary build of skills and talents.

You don't always have to only play with difficulty that's handed to you on a plate; you can create your own difficulty.
Posted By: Gyson Re: Character walking over Lava and healing? - 15/08/14 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by Imarion
No it is fine.
Same as elemental.
If you hit a fire elemental with fire damage he is healed (same for all elementals or any other ennemies).

Imarion

It's fine for the NPCs in that it teaches players about elemental interactions during combat and keeps players on their toes. It's not fine in that it works the same ways for players and creates trivial encounters where players are being healed by enemy attacks rather than taking damage.

For players it should just be a resistance to the element (and immunity should never be achievable).
Originally Posted by Keizai
You don't always have to only play with difficulty that's handed to you on a plate; you can create your own difficulty.

But there's something unsatisfying about having to limit yourself to find a challenge. I didn't even try that hard to min/max my characters, and I found maybe 3 fights after level 10 or so hard enough that I had to retry them multiple times. But I don't want to have to impose arbitrary rules to actually find a challenge. I want to feel stretched to the limits and be able to use everything to my disposal without feeling guilty for cheesing the game. They really need an extra hard mode that starts you with negative resistances and increases damage of enemies by a lot (especially the later enemies. Early game balance is pretty good.)

There's also a lot of stupid AI behavior that makes a fight go from challenging to a joke in a couple rounds. Fire enemies attacking your fire elemental and healing them, for example. Or attacking charmed enemies with far too much enthusiasm. But nerfing resists and rubies by a lot alone would actually make combat more satisfying.
Originally Posted by Gyson
It's not fine in that it works the same ways for players and creates trivial encounters where players are being healed by enemy attacks rather than taking damage.

Not everyone wants to hit a brick wall at every fight. Some people actually just want to have fun.

Now if encounters seem trivial to you, you can always mod your game and make it more challenging. In fact there's already a mod (Source Difficulty) for that purpose.
Originally Posted by Gyson

For players it should just be a resistance to the element (and immunity should never be achievable).

I think immunity to an element is fine, although it should be more difficult to achieve.
The resistances from armour might be capped to, say 85-95%, and the last few points to immunity might have to come from spells or potions. Would also make those spells and potions more important.
I wouldn't totally remove immunities since there are e.g. a few parts in the game where immunity to an element is an alternative way to reach certain places.

Healing through resistance >100 is something that could indeed be nerfed a bit (either restrict it to elementals, or reduce the effect enough for it not to provide such large amounts of healing) - esp. since late-game it's easily possible to get above 100 resistance in several elements on multiple characters.
Posted By: Keizai Re: Character walking over Lava and healing? - 15/08/14 02:29 PM
The AI is definitely bugged when it encounters non-trivial terrain. I had one fight where half the enemies walked themselves against a wall and just sat there doing nothing until I killed off the other half.

I understand that feeling of wanting an uncompromised challenge, though. I wouldn't mind a "Hardcore" mode where resistances are capped, and it's also harder to get to the cap, etc. But for the average player, or those who are very used to hand-holding RPGs these days, I think elemental damage healing is something that could make newbie players start to think out of the box and really begin to enjoy these more free styles of RPGs.
Posted By: LeBurns Re: Character walking over Lava and healing? - 15/08/14 02:35 PM
Personally I think immunity is fine, if the resistance is 100%. How else would you be able to even define what immunity is? My issue is with the fact that it's actually healing. Healing is a completely different kind of magic IMO.
Posted By: Rashar Re: Character walking over Lava and healing? - 15/08/14 02:50 PM
Healing is not actually the right wording, the right wording would be absorbtion, which is nothing more then a euphemism for healing in this scenario but think of it as this:

A fire elemental absorbs fire and thus gets healed by it, just like zombies like to drink a poison shake for breakfast etc. etc.

If you don't want that, then just don't use rubies or essences and stay away from weather the storm, however absorbing elemental damage and and skyrocketing your own resistances and more or less becoming invulnerable is fun to some players while other players don't like it. Since D:OS is a single player game there are tons of easy solutions to these first world "problems". Easiest one being that if you don't like it then don't make a topic about it complaining but just don't use items that increase resistances.

With kind regards,

Rashar.

Posted By: LeBurns Re: Character walking over Lava and healing? - 15/08/14 03:30 PM
Well I'm all for resistances, it just doesn't make sense to me for a 100%+ resistance to heal. I can understand a Fire Elemental being healed from fire ... they are a Fire Elemental. But my PC is flesh and blood, so while I understand being immune to fire, I don't get the logic of fire healing me. Healing should require magic that is specific to healing someone of flesh and blood.

But whatever, my resistances never get that high until end game anyway.
I'm with LeBurns on this one . Fire elementals are being healed by an attack composed of the very same stuff theyre made of . 100% + resistance to fire should let a character withstand that element fully , i.e. no damage but no healing either .
© Larian Studios forums