Larian Studios
I was wondering if there Larian are supporting the non-Steam backer versions of Original Sin with patch updates?

I can't figure out where I could obtain a standalone patch.

Thanks!

No, there aren't any patches for the DRM free DVD version. You'll need to get updates from GOG or Steam.
Originally Posted by Raze

...You'll need to get updates from GOG or Steam.
Which would only work with the appropriate version of the base game, not the DRM-free DVD.

Given that Larian still provide an update for the original Divine Divinity CD, it shouldn't seem too much to ask for to provide something similar for D:OS.

The DD patch is much smaller than the ongoing patches for D:OS, and leaving it available doesn't involve an extra step each update to create and test a patch.

Dragon Commander was available from the Larian Vault, as well as GOG and Steam, so Larian knows what it costs (time and bandwidth) to have a separate patch process, as well as the relative demand for each version.
There was never a version of D:OS available directly from the Vault, and the demand for a patch is much, much smaller.

The DD patch is much smaller than the ongoing patches for D:OS, and leaving it available doesn't involve an extra step each update to create and test a patch.

Dragon Commander was available from the Larian Vault, as well as GOG and Steam, so Larian knows what it costs (time and bandwidth) to have a separate patch process, as well as the relative demand for each version.
There was never a version of D:OS available directly from the Vault, and the demand for a patch is much, much smaller.

I understand. I don't hold it against Larian for not developing a patch for the non-Steam disc - it was a very small distro, I'm sure!

However, it would be fantastic service if, in the coming year or so, they wrap up the major patching for D:OS and create one for the non-Steam backers. I would truly appreciate it!
Would be great if you could answer Stargazers question whether the DVD DRM-free version is at all compatible with GOG or Steam patches?

Stargazer made a statement. To answer your question, though, the Steam version is not compatible with the non-Steam DVD version; to get updates the game would have to be activated on Steam. The GOG patches may work with the non-Steam DVD version, but would probably require a little registry editing to create the keys the patch would look for to get the path and version information. It may be possible to extract the GOG patch contents and manually update the non-Steam DVD version, as well. GOG does not list all the patches, though, generally removing the older links when updating the full installer, so you may need to contact GOG support to get the links to the patches since the game version on the non-Steam DVD.

...It may be possible to extract the GOG patch contents and manually update the non-Steam DVD version, as well...
From what I've seen of GOG's updaters, this wouldn't be impossible but very challenging. Aside from GOG-specific registry entries, their updaters typically (but not always) check each file present, and may abort if even something trivial like a readme or intro video file is missing. Plus you'd have to have the GOG version of the game to download any updates in the first place.

I'd agree with Dancingcrab that an update for the DRM-free disc needn't be seen as urgent - but making one shouldn't be much harder than running WinDiff (or similar tool) between latest build and disc copy. Larian presumably have an automated system for this (if not, they really need to put one together!) and they will need to do this at some point for the Larian Vault version anyway.

Well, every Kickstarter backer that had the option of getting a non-Steam DVD has both the Steam and GOG versions of the game. It would be much easier to just download the full GOG installer than try to get the patches to install over the non-Steam DVD, though (this will be even more the case after the next large update).

Getting the list of differences to make a patch isn't hard, though it is an extra step to create the patch. The time consuming part is testing each patch against all previous install configurations, with a variety of new and previous saves.

There is no Larian Vault version of the game. In fact, due to legal changes in Europe awhile ago concerning digital goods (I assume tax related; didn't ask), the Larian Vault no longer sells games directly (people can still re-download previous purchases). There are just Steam and Humble widgets to buy games (and in the case of D:OS, the Humble Store version is just Steam, without a DRM free download).

After the game is finished being updated, some kind of non-Steam retail re-release is theoretically possible.

...There is no Larian Vault version of the game...
Someone needs to update this forum's banner graphic then. wink

The part with Steam, Vault and GOG logos - which all then link to the Steam version. laugh

The whole banner links to the Steam page.
© Larian Studios forums