Larian Studios
Posted By: meme dragon bug - can't defend under high latency - 26/06/13 07:57 AM
This one might only be relevant under high latency. Unfortunately I've not seen anyone else local to me (usa) playing the game. When playing multi-player - I can't fight other players dragons - they move too quickly or the position is not accurate enough. When I try to attack them they are not where I am attacking.
-
It is almost as if the dragons are moving much faster than the ground pieces (which I can attack).
-
Is this a bug? Hard to say - it is a design issue. I've not been able to have anyone I play with provide ips to determine latency but being on the east coast latency to england is normally around 80ms - I don't want to guess about Belgium since so much depends on topology and quality of the actual player network (my network is quite solid with very minimal latency overhead to main trunk (approx 15ms) and typically no packet loss to major sites in europe.
-
The question remains if the develoepers feel if the game should be playable or if multi-player should be restricted to regional play.
-
I believe that the syncrhoization can be improved with latency in the 100 to 150ms range but it would be at some sacrifice to pacing/lan play (unless of course hte game is adaptive - which could be done).
-
Naturally i would be willing to host games if people in europe would like to experience what I am chatting about - though I also think this high latency contributes to desync issue (I;ve only managed to complete one game wihout a desync and it was very short).
We're looking into it. On one hand, there is an actual issue/bug with higher latency and on the other hand, the dragon might be a too fast for multiplayer, regardless of latency.

We'll keep you posted in the next beta update.
Dragon is pretty fast, someone can stop the jetpack and turn around quickly, leaving you eating their dust. But that's part of the charm I think. I think it helps that you don't have to aim properly, just keep the reticule closeish to them and the shots will hit(as far as I can tell)
© Larian Studios forums